PDA

View Full Version : Muncie travel help?

BraxtonT
09-19-2006, 02:27 AM
A few questions about this weekend's game:

What would be the best route to take leaving from North Dakota on Friday? Go through Chicago or not?

Is the Alumni Association hosting an event before the game like they did at Bozeman and Carbondale last year?

Should my group of four order tickets ahead of time?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

roadwarrior
09-19-2006, 02:49 AM
What would be the best route to take leaving from North Dakota on Friday? *Go through Chicago or not?
Going through Chicago would be the shortest route. *You could take I-39 south from Rockford, IL then go east on I-74 to Indianapolis, then I-69 to Muncie. *But that will definitely add some miles. *Time wise who knows?

Is the Alumni Association hosting an event before the game like they did at Bozeman and Carbondale last year?
Yes, the NDSU alumni event starts at 4:30. *The tent will be located between the softball field and the baseball field just northwest of the football stadium.

BraxtonT
09-19-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks Road. I'll see you in Muncie.

GFBisonFan
09-19-2006, 08:19 AM
BraxtonT

wish I were going with you. Will have to make it to one together next year. Have a little extra fun for me!!

MikeSpicer
09-19-2006, 01:16 PM
What would be the best route to take leaving from North Dakota on Friday? *Go through Chicago or not?
Going through Chicago would be the shortest route. *You could take I-39 south from Rockford, IL then go east on I-74 to Indianapolis, then I-69 to Muncie. *But that will definitely add some miles. *Time wise who knows?
I'm not sure if you're talking about adding miles by going to Indy and then north to Muncie, but if you get to Chicago, the quickest way is taking I-65 to Indy then I-69 to Muncie.

bisonaudit
09-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Don't forget to stock up on change for the tolls.

bisonaudit
09-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure if you're talking about adding miles by going to Indy and then north to Muncie, but if you get to Chicago, the quickest way is taking I-65 to Indy then I-69 to Muncie.

Yahoo maps says it's only an extra 50 miles to detour Chicago as discussed above. Whether that's going to save you any time will depend on what time you're going through Chicago and whether there's any significant construction going on either route.

cedarpointer
09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Here is what I would do if you are comming from Chicago!

Take I65 S. to INDY!
Take I465 E around North Indy
Get off 465 and go N. on I 69 (IN 332 Muncie) Ball State University exit!

I WOULD NOT take the toll road to Ft. Wayne and head south (very long and $$)

Thats my best advice

bisonaudit
09-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Yahoo maps says it's only an extra 50 miles to detour Chicago as discussed above. *Whether that's going to save you any time will depend on what time you're going through Chicago and whether there's any significant construction going on either route.

IN DOT site says there's some serious construction on the north west section of 465 loop. This would be a negative for those seeking to avoid Chicago.

roadwarrior
09-19-2006, 06:50 PM
In my opinion, there is only one good time to drive thru Chicago. And that is when most are sleeping - about 3am.

IL_Bison
09-19-2006, 09:57 PM
The Dan Ryan and the I-94/I-80 interchange is an absolute mess as of July. I would avoid Chicago...depends on the time of day I guess.

The route through Rockford...the only hang-up might be at the Rockford toll (under construction). *Other than that it should be smooth sailing to Indy, where it looks like there might be some US or state highways that could get you to Muncie from Crawfordsville.

Bisongold
09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
My sister just drove from Muncie to Fargo...Avoid the Chicago route...serious construction.

scbison
09-21-2006, 03:27 PM
anyone, know how the tailgating is in West Lafayette, as we are going to try and hit up the Gopher-Purdue game and the Bison game on Saturday

cedarpointer
09-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I was just up in laffayette last week for BSU-PU game.

Well thier tailgating is pretty much scattered around the stadium. They dont have much restrictions as BSU does BUT i didnt really see that many ppl either! I know the ppl are there but I just seen people on the N side of the endzone (opposite scoreboard)

And dont worry MINN is gonna win that one BIG!

PU really is not that great!!

BisonBacker
09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Serious off topic question for Cedarpointer. You say Purdue was not that good but they beat you by 10 so what gives? Not smack just a legit question?

Frozenbaugh
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
First, Ross-Ade (at Purdue) is a difficult place to play. BSU played there a year or two ago and got beat 59-7. Their coach Joe Tiller really likes to run up the score.

Purdue is fine, just not as good as in the past. Ball State is closing the talent gap. Hence the 42 point difference in the two losses.

I am fine with a 10 point loss to Purdue on the road. Hell of a tough place to play and I guarantee there will be a Big Ten team or two that will come in and get their rear-ends handed to them by more than 10 in Ross-Ade.

Junior
09-21-2006, 11:06 PM
A few questions about this weekend's game:

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

Yes, stay out of Chicago. *The south side is a mess. *I would take I-39 South. *From I-39 the quickest way to I65 is the following. *

-from I39 take exit 22 and head east on 116.
-Follow this to Ashkum and follow 45 east
-Follow 45 east to 52
-this will take you south to 24
-take 24 east into Indiana
-from the Indian border it is 22 miles to I65 @ exit 201
(take a look at a map. *This is easier than it sounds)

This is actually the quickest way to get from Rockford IL to Lafayette IN
From there you will have to decide how to get to Muncie. *

I live in Eastern Iowa and have taken that road half a dozen times. *A Purdue grad gave me the route. *I don't know how this will compare to taking I74 to Indy and back around.

by the way, I'll be at the game too. *

roadwarrior
09-22-2006, 12:58 AM
I just printed by boarding pass.....I'm ready!

sambini
09-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Get us a win Road and have a designated driver if you go out to the bars.

dondosae1
09-22-2006, 02:40 AM
well, if you do want to go the Chicago way...go AROUND Chicago. That would be 294 South. That would hit 80/94 East. When this merges, is where it is sometimes thick, but not as bad going INTO the city. On your way back, I would avoid this route like the plague! DO NOT GO THROUGH THE CITY, unless you are going through after 10pm. This amounts for coming and going. *

There are a few ways to get to Muncie from Northern Indiana. I will warn you though, all the routes take 3-3.5 hours. I live in NW Indiana, so here are a few of my favorites:

1-80/94 East to Indiana Toll Road East to 421 South to Route 30 East to 69 South to 332 Muncie Exit.

2- 80/94 East to 65 South to 28 East to 69 South to 332 Muncie Exit.

3- 80/94 East to 65 South to 26 East to 69 South to 332 Muncie Exit.

*someone mentioned going to the Purdue game. They have good tailgating. It is a nice atmosphere. I believe this weekend is homecoming (even though they haven't had an away game yet!), so there will be a good crowd. If you are going there, just follow the signs on 65 South. They will be brown and say "Purdue Stadium" this exit. I believe it is the 2nd 421 exit.

again, probably the most important thing to know is roughly WHEN you will be travelling through these area. There is lots of road construction pretty much all over Chicago and Indiana...sorry. We just deal with it here.

Bison_Kent
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I am flying out tonight to Indianapolis. I am actually going to a second I-AA game tomorrow afternoon with Jacksonville playing at Butler right in Indy. Muncie is just 60 miles down the road and will head to the NDSU-Ball State game right after the first. Game time for the Butler-Jacksonville game is noon eastern time so if you want to see some other I-AA action you can head to Butler.

cedarpointer
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Serious off topic question for Cedarpointer. *You say Purdue was not that good but they beat you by 10 so what gives? *Not smack just a legit question?

Im taking into cosideration that there coach does not trust the QB to put the ball in the air AND we played PU in 2004 and lost 59-7!!

I dont follow PU football but know that they are pretty competitive in the past. BUT when you are only getting 5-6 wins and Ohio State & Michigan are NOT on your BIG 10 schedule.. Well thats a problem.. Not to mention getting a good fight by D-1AA Indiana State and giving up a 13pt lead to Miami OH (MAC team) and having that end in overtime! Miami is 0-3!

Thats what I mean! Just wait and see! MINN-45 PU-16!

roadwarrior
09-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I am at Kinko's in Muncie!

The rain gear is in the car. Almost no doubt that there will be rain tonight.

Bisonguy
09-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I am at Kinko's in Muncie! *

The rain gear is in the car. *Almost no doubt that there will be rain tonight.

Looks like you might need it on the way out of Kinko's

http://content.gannettonline.com/weather/images/s_in_rad.jpg