PDA

View Full Version : Montana HC Mick Delaney to Retire After this Season

NDSUstudent
11-17-2014, 12:45 AM
University of Montana head football coach Mick Delaney will retire at the conclusion of the 2014 football season, the long-time mentor announced today (Sunday, Nov. 16). Coach Delaney told his assistant coaches and players of his decision this afternoon.
Delaney is currently in his third season as the Grizzlies' head coach, and has an overall record of 22-13. His 22 career wins are the seventh most in school history.
With its recent 35-17 win at Southern Utah, Montana improved to 5-2 (tie, second) in the Big Sky Conference and 7-4 overall, and kept it FCS playoff hopes alive.
The Griz, ranked 15th/16th in the recent FCS polls, host the first place (tie) 12th-13th ranked Montana State (6-1/8-3) Bobcats this Saturday, Nov. 22, in their final regular-season contest and the 114th "Brawl of the Wild" match-up, in yet another must-win league game for UM.
"It's a really, really difficult situation to be in, but after a lot of dialog and conversation with the administration, Dr. (UM President Royce) Engstrom and Kent (Haslam, Montana's Director of Athletics), for the good of the university and Montana football I realize that they have to have somewhat of a long-range plan.
"I'm year-by-year (contractually), and sometimes it seems like week-by-week, just from an energy standpoint, and I always felt through my whole career that when the time was right I would know it is right," said Delaney who began his coaching career in his hometown at Butte Central High School in 1964 and will celebrate his 72nd birthday in a couple of weeks (Dec. 2).

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111614aab.html

ndsubison1
11-17-2014, 05:36 AM
I have no idea but with there being a legit chance Montana misses the playoffs could it be more than him "retiring"? Just a thought...

SamsRams
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
I have no idea but with there being a legit chance Montana misses the playoffs could it be more than him "retiring"? Just a thought...

Well maybe they know of a specific Mountain West coach who will be out of a job this offseason also

unbison
11-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Or the guy is 72

tony
11-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Or the guy is 72

ding ding ding

BYZEN
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Ssshh, ssh, ssh, I think I hear something coming from a locker room to the West......."....so guy's, let's go out there and WIN ONE FOR THE MICK'ER!":rofl:

El_Chapo
11-17-2014, 03:20 PM
ding ding ding

We all concur

56BISON73
11-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Or the guy is 72

Plus there has been pressure from alumni and fans. He isnt well liked.

El_Chapo
11-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Can NDSU call on some of their recruits now? I keed. I keed..

:biggrin:
116 posts on egriz http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68279

ndsubison1
11-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Or the guy is 72

Read the bottom paragraph

bruinbison
11-18-2014, 02:43 PM
IIRC Delaney was the Head Coach picked for the transition out of the scandals the Griz had going on at the time. Perhaps a straight-arrow type-choice. The Missoulian has some interesting comments on the job
and reporting on possible (rumored) candidates.

Montana recently announced its plans to build a $14 million Champions Center, a 46,000-square foot structure outside Washington-Grizzly Stadium, that will replace its outdated locker rooms and weight areas. That’s in addition to a $2.5 million student academic center at Adams Center that’s already under construction.

“This is an appealing and exciting job,” said Haslam, who added he’s already heard from people interested.
“I view this as an exciting time.”

Here are some names that have come via other sources.

* Beau Baldwin. Now in his seventh year as coach of Eastern Washington, Baldwin guided the Eagles to the 2010 FCS title, and has gone 4-3 against the Griz with three straight wins. His base salary in 2013, according to the Spokesman-Review, was $113,000. Delaney is being paid $164,557 this season.

* Scott Gragg (Griz Associate Head-Coach) and Ty Gregorak (Griz Defensive Coordinator).
The in-house candidates are solid ones.

Will this lead to any possible distractions for Eastern Washington? Will there be any Craig Bohl-type moments?
It will be interesting to see which direction Montana goes.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/haslam-will-take-time-finding-next-griz-football-coach/article_46dcf096-7d3a-502d-9b5e-b6234d06777a.html

bruinbison
11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Coach Delaney has his work cut out for himself this week trying to avoid his retirement starting early next week. He has the Battle of the Wild game against Montana State at Washington-Griz. If Montana loses, no playoffs, just like Youngstown State......MSU has won the last 2 games in Missoula.

Part of Delaney's work is his QB is injured again, knocked out of the Southern Utah game -

QB Jordan Johnson’s ankle sprain is unsettling as the Griz get ready for their biggest game against Montana State. Johnson was wearing a walking boot on his left foot Tuesday and is questionable for Saturday’s 3:15 p.m. home contest.

Montana is banged up at key positions. Joining Johnson on the list are NT Tonga Takai (shoulders), OLB Kendrick Van Ackeren (knee), MLB Jeremiah Kose (knee), SS Justin Whitted (shoulder) and RB/WR Travon Van (elbow).

“We’ve got guys that are bruised and banged, but everybody does,” Delaney said. “If you play 11 games in the Big Sky Conference, then you go out of conference to play North Dakota State and Wyoming, you’re beat up this time of year.

“Everything is manageable for the most part.”

MSU also has its' own QB injury issue:

Their top passer and rusher is Dakota Prukop, sidelined last week with a knee injury. He is listed as questionable along with running back Shawn Johnson, who is right behind Prukop in rushing yards.

Gonna be a cold day in Missoula on Saturday, who will heat Wash-Griz up?

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/testing-the-focus-on-week-of-biggest-game-griz-dealing/article_1abf75bf-5c7d-5b29-b619-fcbc67466b68.html

bruinbison
11-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Another candidate has surfaced for head coach of the Montana Grizzlies, and he’s the biggest name in Division III since John Gagliardi.

Lance Leipold of Wisconsin-Whitewater has shown his interest in the job, according to a couple of sources with knowledge of the situation. He’s coached the Warhawks to a 104-6 record in eight seasons, including a 10-0 mark this fall.

Leipold is sure an interesting name (and resume). He is a Wisky native
and former college QB at Wisconsin-Whitewater. I personally hope the Griz
hire one of their own former players for the job, would not want the extra recruiting
attention paid to Wisconsin by one more program.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/uw-whitewater-coach-ex-griz-pease-interested-in-um-football/article_98abe987-2bff-551c-8f7b-929fa1817cf6.html

ndsubison1
11-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I think they should go after EWUs coach hard.

tony
11-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I think they should go after EWUs coach hard.

EWU's coach seems like a natural for Boise State next time they get poached.

imabison
11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Dale Lennon, Terry Allen they are probably both going to be available....

missingnumber7
11-23-2014, 04:49 AM
The Carroll College coach wouldn't be a terrible choice. Had tons of success at Carroll and has been around D1 football as an assistant.

EagleBZN
11-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Got to think if Dave Dickinson wants this job it could be his. Former All-American QB and Nat Champion winner. Current OC for Calgary Stampede. Wonder what his salary is there In Calgary

missingnumber7
11-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Got to think if Dave Dickinson wants this job it could be his. Former All-American QB and Nat Champion winner. Current OC for Calgary Stampede. Wonder what his salary is there In Calgary

Would not be a terrible hire...there are lots of coaches out there with good UM lineage...will be interesting.

EagleBZN
11-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Saw tonight Hauck is going to walk at UNLV on Monday. Wonder if he could go back.

SamsRams
11-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Saw tonight Hauck is going to walk at UNLV on Monday. Wonder if he could go back.

I will ask in the press conference tomorrow if no one else does

SamsRams
11-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Hauck gave the typical coach speak about Montana job. Boring to listen to but exactly how he should have answered it saying he hadnt thought about it. Very enjoyable outgoing press conference and some sad moments. He teared up the most when thanking the media for being fair to him. Afterwards personally said good bye to every person in the room. I wished him luck and asked him not to coach in the Missouri Valley next year and stick with the Big Sky.

Top notch person and heck of a coach. UNLV has gone to 4 bowl games alltime and he was the coach for one of those teams. Good things to come for him

bisonpride4ever
12-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Griz reportedly hire Bob Stitt who coaches Colorado School of Mines

https://twitter.com/domizzowday/status/543610070508904449

Sent using both a Speak-n-Spell and an Etch-a-Sketch