PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not concerned

mgbison
11-10-2014, 06:18 AM
After thinking about the game yesterday, we didn't make the game changing plays we were needed to win and l'd like our chances facing them in Fargo in December.

1. UNI's offense is really bad. Johnson may be the best back we see all year, but completing a forward pass is a major problem for them. The only way they'll score is if they have a short field caused by turnovers, special teams, etc. We turned the ball over and gave them great field position twice in the game. To UNI's credit, they've made a living off great special teams and turnovers.

2. Becks missed int early in the game. Its a play our D normally makes and changes the game.

3. Wentz int in redzone. You can't turn the ball over on the 5 yard line and expect to win. He seems like a smart kid and will learn from it. Also, an int would've been tolerable if it didn't get returned to 40ish (with penalty) and give their offense a short field.

4. Special teams. We can't give up a long return. We had a little momentum and gave it right back to them.

5. Wentz overthrows to Vraa. I don't see him missing 2 of those passed in the future. Its a simple throw and catch.

6. Running backs. There were several cutbacks where the rb (Frazier I believe), just ran the wrong way. If he'd made the correct cut he was gone for a very long run. Instead he ran right into the linebacker for a 4 yard gain.

Plus, if UNI doesn't win out, they won't even make the playoffs. They beat us at our own game, and I have a hard time believing we'll make the same mistakes the second time around (if it even happens).

MNLonghorn10
11-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I hope those excuses helped you sleep last night.

UNI was better in all 3 phases saturday. everyone and their mom knew this game going in was going to be the toughest one outside of iowa state right out of the gate.

ZHerd
11-10-2014, 11:59 AM
That really bad offense just put up more points on us than anyone else so far this year and put up 20+ on a really good Ill St. defense too...just sayin. Besides they will be leaning on their defense just like we do. How many points do you need to score if your defense holds the opposing team to 3? Don't worry it's not a trick question

Bison 4 Life
11-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Only one scoring drive that UNI had started on their own side of the field. They never had a drive that went longer than 46 yards.

I understand that they won and scored the points but I'm not sure if they needed to get a bunch of yards that they could.

daddy daycare
11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
It's alright to have a stinker. Let's see how they respond on the road and then bring out the hammer on YSU. If they finish strong there is no shame in a 1 loss regular season.

Now cheer for Lennon to beat both UNI and ILr.

ndsubison1
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
After thinking about the game yesterday, we didn't make the game changing plays we were needed to win and l'd like our chances facing them in Fargo in December.

1. UNI's offense is really bad. Johnson may be the best back we see all year, but completing a forward pass is a major problem for them. The only way they'll score is if they have a short field caused by turnovers, special teams, etc. We turned the ball over and gave them great field position twice in the game. To UNI's credit, they've made a living off great special teams and turnovers.

2. Becks missed int early in the game. Its a play our D normally makes and changes the game.

3. Wentz int in redzone. You can't turn the ball over on the 5 yard line and expect to win. He seems like a smart kid and will learn from it. Also, an int would've been tolerable if it didn't get returned to 40ish (with penalty) and give their offense a short field.

4. Special teams. We can't give up a long return. We had a little momentum and gave it right back to them.

5. Wentz overthrows to Vraa. I don't see him missing 2 of those passed in the future. Its a simple throw and catch.

6. Running backs. There were several cutbacks where the rb (Frazier I believe), just ran the wrong way. If he'd made the correct cut he was gone for a very long run. Instead he ran right into the linebacker for a 4 yard gain.

Plus, if UNI doesn't win out, they won't even make the playoffs. They beat us at our own game, and I have a hard time believing we'll make the same mistakes the second time around (if it even happens).

I've calmed down a bit but the offensive penalties are still a big concern. UNI's backs were against the wall and put everything into this game. We should be able to bounce back and win the next two.

Honeybooboo
11-10-2014, 01:24 PM

#5...well he overthrew more than Vraa, and continually put the ball in bad places for the recievers to catch, making them give up their bodies to go after the ball, also though with that a couple throws that were on target the receivers dropped the ball

yes we gave them short fields but that part of the game, our special teams have been subpar pretty much all year and by UNI living off of special temas they beat ISU Red and us, both teams that were undefeated until we played UNI

Face it we got beat down, we can bet UNI and I think a second game would be different but this may be just the thing we needed...look what happened after Indiana St veat us in 2012...we didnt lose again till last Saturday

on to the next game, UNI is over Missouri St is next, if we look crappy against them then im really going to be worried

Tatanka
11-10-2014, 01:49 PM
It's alright to have a stinker. Let's see how they respond on the road and then bring out the hammer on YSU. If they finish strong there is no shame in a 1 loss regular season.

Now cheer for Lennon to beat both UNI and ILr.

This. I am a 'stache fan this week and next. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BlueBisonRock
11-10-2014, 09:02 PM

This!

And, it is time to move on.

Coaches gotta coach. Players gotta play. And fans gotta support.

Go Bison!

WYOBISONMAN
11-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Lennon is a hell of a coach. My money is on the guy from my home state......

KilldeerBison
11-10-2014, 09:27 PM

I too will be supporting the 'stasche. Answerguy needs to step it up a notch, maybe he can figure out where Farley lives and "decorate" his house. Hey Farley, who's your daddy?

semobison
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
There is no reason not to be worried after what we saw down in Cedar Falls. A great performance against Missouri State would really help though!

WFBisonFan
11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm not concerned either.

#1 - We played like crap, plain and simple. You can't do that in the MVFC and expect to win...on the road...against a rival. Especially a team that just came off beating another undefeated in I-Red.
#2 - We still have a veteran-led team who has been through this back a few years with Youngstown St. and IS-Blue. They know how to handle themselves when adversity strikes.
#3 - We still control our own destiny - win out, and the road to Frisco goes through the Fargodome. I don't care who comes here, they will struggle...

Please don't take this wrong, but for most of the season with the exception of the Montana game, the Dome hasn't been nearly as loud as it has in the past. Maybe our fan base needed a kick in the groin too. Having been at the top for the last 3 seasons, I see this as an opportunity for the team, the fan base and all of Bison Nation to put into perspective what they have done. NDSU made history in a lot of ways.

In closing...learn from your mistakes. I fully expect a focused, prepared Bison team on Saturday with their eyes on the prize. GO BISON!

17>1
11-10-2014, 09:49 PM
UNI did to us what we normally do to other teams, plain and simple. If anyone wonders how UNI was able to score a whole 23 points against our amazing defense....look at how our offense played. If the O goes 3 and out and continually leaves our D on the field and in tough field position, the other team will score points eventually. Why I'm not concerned is I don't think we'll see a defense as good as that for the rest of the year, that is if we don't play UNI again.

Bison Gal
11-10-2014, 10:15 PM
This!

Go Bison!

Amen! Go Bison!

Hammerhead
11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
This!

Go Bison!

And haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Bison Loaf
11-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Been away from Bisonville for a few days, did anything happen that I missed? :hide: No?

Well, I was certainly disappointed in the loss, but was a little surprised that I couldn't bring myself to be overly upset at all. This was just a fantastic run, and to be honest, the Bison probably should have lost at least a couple of games long before this one if not for some tremendous plays and just willing themselves to victory (2012 Georgia Southern, 2013 Kansas State & UNI, Western Illinois this year - just to name a few).

There are 2 hidden problems with a long winning streak like the Bison just came off of. First, it takes on a life of it's own and somehow seems to become more important to a fan base and the media than any overarching team goals - all of which remain on the table, btw. Second, when it actually does end, it seems like a funeral in which something important needs to be mourned. "The coaching wasn't good, the players aren't as good, other teams are catching us" - you get the picture. The bigger the winning streak, the bigger the 'funeral".

But, in my opinion, the streak simply became more hype than it should have been, and the ensuing loss is more hype than it should be. When one truly takes a step back and objectively looks at the big picture - team, talent, goals, depth, experience, coaching and program history - the simple words of one John Rambo come to mind (great movie, by the way):

"Nothing is over!! NOTHING!!!"

Thanks for the listen. Carry on.

bisonfanette
11-11-2014, 12:25 AM
"Nothing is over!! NOTHING!!!"

Thanks for the listen. Carry on.

Nice! :judges:

FFBison
11-11-2014, 12:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4

Hammerhead
11-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Or we could get motivation from Peyton Manning and SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNYXCXUC4Q

1st&TennBison
11-11-2014, 03:08 AM
It took a team just as physical as us who played hard nose defense a perfect storm of events to beat us. Turnovers at really bad times leading to 10 points, penalties that just killed drives, some really questionable play calling and lack of faith to go for it by coaches. You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than you would to see that much go wrong in one of our games. And the game was still within reach midway into the 4th quarter. After thinking about it from this perspective I am now calm and relaxed and feeling good about getting the ship straight. But I am still keeping my fingers crossed on the penalty issue.

westnodak93bison
11-11-2014, 03:17 AM
It took a team just as physical as us who played hard nose defense a perfect storm of events to beat us. Turnovers at really bad times leading to 10 points, penalties that just killed drives, some really questionable play calling and lack of faith to go for it by coaches. You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than you would to see that much go wrong in one of our games. And the game was still within reach midway into the 4th quarter. After thinking about it from this perspective I am now calm and relaxed and feeling good about getting the ship straight. But I am still keeping my fingers crossed on the penalty issue.
Can't find anything else to break?

MAKBison
11-11-2014, 03:28 AM

KF ran twice I think you meant JC

1st&TennBison
11-11-2014, 03:51 AM
I love these moments, they can relate to football and are great motivation, great wisdom from quit possibly the the greatest coach in his sport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA03y3SpJ6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6Vnynjcrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0nZh9o65nE (beast line is at the 1:49 moment)

344Johnson
11-11-2014, 05:17 AM
I love these moments, they can relate to football and are great motivation, great wisdom from quit possibly the the greatest coach in his sport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA03y3SpJ6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6Vnynjcrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0nZh9o65nE (beast line is at the 1:49 moment)

Might be the best sports movie of all time....after Rudy of course :)

bisonpride4ever
11-11-2014, 06:01 AM
Might be the best sports movie of all time....after Rudy of course :)

Rudy was offsides😉

Sent using both a Speak-n-Spell and an Etch-a-Sketch

northerniowadave
11-11-2014, 09:51 AM
You hit the nail on the head. UNI has the talent (other than QB) to do what it did to NDSU, when NDSU has a really bad day. The penalties? You know, the UNI fans were actually loud for UNI fans for once. Coach K will have your boys better prepared next time.

EC8CH
11-11-2014, 01:19 PM
You hit the nail on the head. UNI has the talent (other than QB) to do what it did to NDSU, when NDSU has a really bad day. The penalties? You know, the UNI fans were actually loud for UNI fans for once. Coach K will have your boys better prepared next time.

Atmosphere at the UNIdome looked great. Fun to see some excitement for FCS football at an opponent's place. Would have like to have seen it crushed by the end of the 4th quarter, but oh well.

1998braves64
11-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Atmosphere at the UNIdome looked great. Fun to see some excitement for FCS football at an opponent's place. Would have like to have seen it crushed by the end of the 4th quarter, but oh well.

At least it happened in front of a full house crowd (was it a sell out?) and not a couple thousand fans at ISUb or MSU or something along that lines. Seemed UNI fans were enjoying the moment as they should!

Herd80
11-11-2014, 11:06 PM
I was at a secret party for a few days and finally got home and had a chance to view the replay. Conclusions:

- we played poorly and lost. We actually deserved to lose, which doesn't happen often...but it can happen
- UNi played better than we did. They deserved to win, they sort of kicked our ass. Convincingly
- David Johnson is a beast
- I believe we may have rid ourselves of the bad juju now. While it's nice to win, I can't recall a team in athletic competition ever going unbeaten...forever. We've avoided a rash of injuries, poor play in every phase and bad hair days for most of 4 years. Pretty much every FCS and a few FBS program in the USofA has been hoping for a Bison loss and the football gods finally answered.

No biggie. Back to business

IzzyFlexion
11-12-2014, 12:55 PM
I was at a secret party for a few days and finally got home and had a chance to view the replay. Conclusions:
No biggie. Back to business

Couldn't have been that secret. I was peeping through the windows and saw you signing Bisonville transcripts for 39 NFL players and 13 playboy models.
You are 1 connected SOB!!

Answer Guy
11-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Answerguy needs to step it up a notch

Been working on some projects for next fall already.

Step it up, indeed.

IzzyFlexion
11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Been working on some projects for next fall already.

Step it up, indeed.

Thanks for sending me the rehearsal pic, and I know that you're terribly excited...............but I'd suggest running that one by the stache first.
http://campusmediagroup.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/harvard_we_suck.jpg