2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Fire Tim so we can win.

onbison09
11-09-2014, 04:53 AM
:facepalm: 34 against Iowa State, 38 against SIU, 47 USD, 37 SDSU

NDSUstudent
11-09-2014, 04:54 AM
It supposed to be Fire Polasek, save the season.

Get it right!

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 04:56 AM
It supposed to be Fire Polasek, save the season.

Get it right!

Does really have a good ring to it.

JSUBison
11-09-2014, 04:58 AM
Richman better beat Texas by double digits on Friday, or his ass should be feeling some heat as well.

NDSUstudent
11-09-2014, 04:58 AM
Does really have a good ring to it.

Well it is just the proper way to call out the OC...

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?28686-Fire-vigen-save-season

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 05:01 AM
One of the best young offensive coordinators in the nation.

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Well it is just the proper way to call out the OC...

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?28686-Fire-vigen-save-season

The thing that concerns me most about Tim is his inability to improvise and change. He does the same thing over and over and over again, expecting different results.

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 05:07 AM

If he is one of the best young offensive coordinators in the nation, the talent pool of young offensive coaches must be horrible.

Professor Chaos
11-09-2014, 05:08 AM
The thing that concerns me most about Tim is his inability to improvise and change. He does the same thing over and over and over again, expecting different results.
Feel free to submit your resume on Monday. I'm sure Coach K will give it a good look...

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 05:14 AM
Feel free to submit your resume on Monday. I'm sure Coach K will give it a good look...

Probably couldn't get much worse than today.

Professor Chaos
11-09-2014, 05:24 AM
Probably couldn't get much worse than today.
Could you do better than an average of 420 yards of offense and 31.4 points in your first 10 games on the job? Did you never have a bad day in your 1st year at a new job?

Tim P will be fine and so will the Bison offense. Calm down and step away from the keyboard until you've had a chance to think about the garbage you're posting. I have a lot more cherries to pick from than you if you want to get down to it.

DIBISON
11-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Fire Tim so we can win.
Tim P. is a winner. You are a loser. Let's come back to this thread after 6 more games.

yopaulie
11-09-2014, 05:58 AM

If he is one of the best young offensive coordinators in the nation, the talent pool of young offensive coaches must be horrible.

So I either have to fire Polasek, or view him as one of the best young offensive coordinators in the nation?? Geez guys...how 'bout something in the middle. I think his play calling was very poor today, and I do put the red zone woes all year primarily on him. But he is in year one, and we are 9-1. Let's support the team we got, with a good chance at a 4peat.

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 06:05 AM

Top ten douche bag of the year material. You epitome idiotic arm chair QBs. Odds are your a UND troll or just flat out retarded. Go get yourself tested. You may be able to get benefits

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Top ten douche bag of the year material. You epitome idiotic arm chair QBs. Odds are your a UND troll or just flat out retarded. Go get yourself tested. You may be able to get benefits

Thread was a joke. I don't think he actually should get let go. Settle down.

I do think he has a lot to improve upon or we or not going to win a fourth national championship this year. Bottom line is that this was the worst offensive performance from an NDSU team since 2010 and a lot of the blame falls on his shoulders. Hell, Northern Colorado put up more offense against UNI than NDSU did tonight.

DjKyRo
11-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Can someone get this scrub out of here? God dang.

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Can someone get this scrub out of here? God dang.
Dude, need to call a spade a spade. I would hope TP can take some heat from the fans. Good grief he knows we are delusional and expect to win 46-6 each week.

SDbison
11-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Dude, need to call a spade a spade. I would hope TP can take some heat from the fans. Good grief he knows we are delusional and expect to win 46-6 each week. A 23-3 loss is far from a 46-6 win. Polisek and the offensive players have a lot of room for improvement. The UNI loss proves what I have been saying all along........a great defense does not assure wins. The Bison offense has leaned on the defense for too long.

yopaulie
11-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Dude, need to call a spade a spade. I would hope TP can take some heat from the fans. Good grief he knows we are delusional and expect to win 46-6 each week.

The heat on Polasek is fair following today's game. 3 points is the fewest a team has scored on UNI this year. UNC, Tennesee Tech scored more. SDSU scored 28. The number of field goals deep in red zone territory is a bit of pattern at this point.

El_Chapo
11-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Tims my boy.
After talking with some players parents tonight i offerred this up.

Our offense with the bootleg Te in flat, middle screen etc etc it's all built for quick hits move the chains
..we all agree on that. Well sometimes when that ain't going right you need to "flip the script" Carson is so cerebral & precise that he wasn't looking down for the big home run (that was there 4 times!) He and the offense are PROGRAMMED to do the same things brock & walker executed.

Does this make sense? Today was a day to scrap it go no huddle, 2 minute warning offense and look deep. Honestly

dgoergs
11-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Tims my boy.
After talking with some players parents tonight i offerred this up.

Our offense with the bootleg Te in flat, middle screen etc etc it's all built for quick hits move the chains
..we all agree on that. Well sometimes when that ain't going right you need to "flip the script" Carson is so cerebral & precise that he wasn't looking down for the big home run (that was there 4 times!) He and the offense are PROGRAMMED to do the same things brock & walker executed.

Does this make sense? Today was a day to scrap it go no huddle, 2 minute warning offense and look deep. Honestly
Agree...have to be able to assess and adapt. If you watch the passes where Carson missed Vraa, he was aiming instead of just throwing. At the end of game, when it didn't matter, he calmed down and made an unbelievable pass to RJ. Back to TP...I have a copy of "The Art of War" I will be mailing to him. :rolleyes:

Bisonator98
11-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Hey some of play calling was bad no doubt but the players also need to execute on the field. There were several missed opportunities that would have made a huge difference in the outcome of that game. First of all how about the oline opening up some frickin holes for the run game. How about the QB hitting some of those wide open receivers. How about a few less penalties and no turnovers. Work on it and get better.

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Hey some of play calling was bad no doubt but the players also need to execute on the field. There were several missed opportunities that would have made a huge difference in the outcome of that game. First of all how about the oline opening up some frickin holes for the run game. How about the QB hitting some of those wide open receivers. How about a few less penalties and no turnovers. Work on it and get better.

Wentz to Vraa. If we complete that pass it's a 3 point game and the complexion of the 4th quarter is completely different.

The pick in the red zone. One minute it's going to be 3-0 and 20 seconds later UNI is in the redzone.

Darius Anderson fumble.

We allowed a 55 yard kickoff return after we scored and gave them a free field goal to make it a 2 score game.

Pretty simple we didnt make plays and made mistakes. Cant do that vs UNI. We weren't physically dominated on both sides of the ball like some fans think. (Well maybe late in the 4th quarter we were when we were desparate)

semobison
11-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I love how every time the offense struggles people blame the play calling! News flash.....Our O-line play has been hot and cold this season and yesterday they got pushed around...... and don't get me started on the penalties!

NDSUstudent
11-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Should Polasek be on the field? What that help in cleaning up penalties? Would he be more in the flow of the game as well?

To me he seems like a guy that belongs on the field.

2011BisonAlumni
11-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I love how every time the offense struggles people blame the play calling! News flash.....Our O-line play has been hot and cold this season and yesterday they got pushed around...... and don't get me started on the penalties!

I completely agree, but Tim needed to think outside the box and try something. Try using Carson's athletic ability and move the line on a roll out. It was painfully obvious that we were not going to be able to run the ball on that defense, doing what we always do, but Tim just didn't seem to recognize it.

NDSU has always been a team that makes adjustments at the second half, and I didn't see a single adjustment made by the offense in the second half. That is on coaching.

DM05
11-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Pretty simple we didnt make plays and made mistakes. Cant do that vs UNI. We weren't physically dominated on both sides of the ball like some fans think. (Well maybe late in the 4th quarter we were when we were desparate)

This. INT in the redzone, Anderson fumble, and missing a wide open Vraa. If two of those go our way, the game goes to the wire. Not to mention 94 yards in penalties; and not aggressive penalties but illegal formations, false starts, and a 15 yarder after the INT. Look at the last loss: 2 pick 6's and the offense struggled. This was NDSU losing because of sloppy play. Tighten it up this week, come out hungry and wanting to dominate, and destroy MoSt.

semobison
11-09-2014, 03:51 PM
I completely agree, but Tim needed to think outside the box and try something. Try using Carson's athletic ability and move the line on a roll out. It was painfully obvious that we were not going to be able to run the ball on that defense, doing what we always do, but Tim just didn't seem to recognize it.

NDSU has always been a team that makes adjustments at the second half, and I didn't see a single adjustment made by the offense in the second half. That is on coaching.

Coaches have bad games too! Our O-line has had more iffy games than the coaches. You can try all the plays and make all the adjustments you want but when the big boys up front are not getting the job done most plays will not work. We have to play better up front than we did yesterday. Football games are won in the trenches. We lost that battle bad yesterday!

tony
11-09-2014, 03:55 PM
This. INT in the redzone, Anderson fumble, and missing a wide open Vraa. If two of those go our way, the game goes to the wire. Not to mention 94 yards in penalties; and not aggressive penalties but illegal formations, false starts, and a 15 yarder after the INT. Look at the last loss: 2 pick 6's and the offense struggled. This was NDSU losing because of sloppy play. Tighten it up this week, come out hungry and wanting to dominate, and destroy MoSt.

Well, I wouldn't go that far (NDSU lost because UNI beat us), but, really, 94 yards in penalties doesn't say it all because UNI declined a couple.

That said, I'd love to see a rematch in the playoffs.

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Heck if 1 of those things don't happen the game goes down to the wire.

Grizzled
11-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Heck if 1 of those things don't happen the game goes down to the wire.

UNI probably also has "what if" plays that leads them to think they could have won by more than 20. They also had a fumble, missed an open WR and had a lot if penalties b

FFBison
11-09-2014, 04:22 PM
I haven't seen anything crediting the UNI defense here either...I thought they played exceptional up front. 63 total tackles for their defense and 29 of them came from their D-line...that's impressive. Lots of things could have changed the outcome of the game, but it is what it is. We'll learn from it and hopefully get better down the stretch. All that really matters is home field...I really could give a rip about the streak as nice as it is. I don't think this loss will cost us home field if we win at MoSt and vs Youngstown. Will be interesting to see the polls.

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 04:25 PM
UNI probably also has "what if" plays that leads them to think they could have won by more than 20. They also had a fumble, missed an open WR and had a lot if penalties b

Your describing the best case scenario 56 to 0 dream scenerio. I didnt even mention our 11 penalties since UNI also had 11. Bottom line is we missed plays we rarely if ever miss and it wasn't because of UNI. It was our mistakes. Its a game of a few plays.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
The whole team laid an egg yesterday, including the coaching staff. However, the coaches aren't the ones who couldn't hold blocks, hit wide open receivers, or hold the line of scrimmage and make tackles when we really needed them. No amount of great coaching and play calling was going to help this team out yesterday.

Bottom line, the whole team came out flat and uninspired. UNI wanted this game a heck of a lot more than us and had a heck of a lot more to lose. This loss was the best thing that has happened to this team this year and hopefully, it will be a wakeup call for them. However, I am deeply concerned about the play of the O line. They've looked Ok at times but, more often than not, have played poorly.

In retrospect, this team is a lot farther along than I thought they would be at the beginning of the season so we shouldn't be freaking out too much. I guess we will have to wait and see how far they can take us into the playoffs. We'll know soon enough.

Grizzled
11-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Your describing the best case scenario 56 to 0 dream scenerio. I didnt even mention our 11 penalties since UNI also had 11. Bottom line is we missed plays we rarely if ever miss and it wasn't because of UNI. It was our mistakes. Its a game of a few plays.

Im describing plays missed on both sides. They could have won by more than 20 as easily as we could have kept it close at the end. There are what if plays every game by both teams.

semobison
11-09-2014, 04:43 PM

It wasn't because of UNI? Wow! Their defensive front dominated our O-line! That is the biggest reason we lost the game!

CAS4127
11-09-2014, 04:50 PM
We should have attempted at some if no a lot of stretch/off tackle running plants with our running backs. That would have required their big DT's to have to run. You can argue those types if plays wouldn't have worked, but my response will be neither were the up the middle runs. Also, we should have played both Morlock and Frazier way more. JC had very little vision yesterday. Both he and Wentz played horribly and Coach P was even worse. More surprised by Wentz and JC than I am about Coach P tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 05:02 PM
It wasn't because of UNI? Wow! Their defensive front dominated our O-line! That is the biggest reason we lost the game!

UNI dominated our run game and sold out against the run. Big deal. it's not the first time it's happened nor will it be the last time. We just failed to make plays in the passing game and fucked up so many other plays across the board.

Wentz missed a wide open Vraa for an easy TD. That wasnt UNI's defense. Dropped passes. That wasn't UNI's defense. Darius Anderson fumble gave them an easy three points. (that wasn't UNI's dline dominating) The 56 yard kickoff return after making it a 1 score game had nothing to do with UNI's line dominating us. Heck the kick return game sucked all game. The pick in the redzone that bounced off of the receivers hands and into the UNI's hands was flukey and changed the game. That wasn't UNI's defense. That was a good throw and bad hands by a receiver who usually has great hands and a lucky bounce. Normally we make those plays. But if you want to pretend like those things happened because UNI's line dominated us, go right ahead. Even when Wentz had all day to throw nobody was open or he missed them. And when we did make the play we had a stupid penalty.

That was us making mistakes and not making plays. It's quite simple. It was a team failure on offense, special teams, and coaching. Not to mention UNI played out of their minds and deserve some credit.

semobison
11-09-2014, 05:45 PM
UNI dominated our run game and sold out against the run. Big deal. it's not the first time it's happened nor will it be the last time. We just failed to make plays in the passing game and fucked up so many other plays across the board.

Wentz missed a wide open Vraa for an easy TD. That wasnt UNI's defense. Dropped passes. That wasn't UNI's defense. Darius Anderson fumble gave them an easy three points. (that wasn't UNI's dline dominating) The 56 yard kickoff return after making it a 1 score game had nothing to do with UNI's line dominating us. Heck the kick return game sucked all game. The pick in the redzone that bounced off of the receivers hands and into the UNI's hands was flukey and changed the game. That wasn't UNI's defense. That was a good throw and bad hands by a receiver who usually has great hands and a lucky bounce. Normally we make those plays. But if you want to pretend like those things happened because UNI's line dominated us, go right ahead. Even when Wentz had all day to throw nobody was open or he missed them. And when we did make the play we had a stupid penalty.

That was us making mistakes and not making plays. It's quite simple. It was a team failure on offense, special teams, and coaching. Not to mention UNI played out of their minds and deserve some credit.

I am glad you are giving UNI, some credit for "playing out of their minds."

Yes, we played about as poor as we could. What could go wrong did which resulted in the 20 point loss.

Football games are usually won in the trenches and yesterday UNI won that battle. Sometimes that happens in football. The most important thing now is how do we respond next week at Missouri State!

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
We should have attempted at some if no a lot of stretch/off tackle running plants with our running backs. That would have required their big DT's to have to run. You can argue those types if plays wouldn't have worked, but my response will be neither were the up the middle runs. Also, we should have played both Morlock and Frazier way more. JC had very little vision yesterday. Both he and Wentz played horribly and Coach P was even worse. More surprised by Wentz and JC than I am about Coach P tho.

Agree about the "stretch" run plays. Just don't see why they keep pounding it up the gut when the D is preventing it. It will open up if you make them defend the entire width. I suppose the jet sweep is supposed to do the same but we haven't had much success at it this year. All we need is 4 yds a crack.

A1pigskin
11-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Agree about the "stretch" run plays. Just don't see why they keep pounding it up the gut when the D is preventing it. It will open up if you make them defend the entire width. I suppose the jet sweep is supposed to do the same but we haven't had much success at it this year. All we need is 4 yds a crack.

Again, the play calling needs to improve.

CentennialBison
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
The big problem as I see it for now is that we are predictable. Everyone is now going to block the middle because we keep running that play over and over. Coach P should have learned this at WIU, he didn't. What about the wildcat formation we ran? How about loading one side? Run to the outside? Short throws? We didn't rotate our RB's. Running a vanilla 1st half doesn't work when the other team knows exactly what we are going to do. They also knew the adjustments we make at half time. Yes, Carson Wentz had a terrible game, there were open receivers multiple times and he got coverage sacks. We also made a lot of unforced errors, O line was terrible. The O line was also made to look terrible by unimaginative play calling. Players have off days, and coaches do too.

My disappointment comes from the fact we coached like we were afraid to lose, neither did we adapt when we saw that the opponent was prepared for what we are going to do. The punt at the end and the field goal at 4th and inches on the 2 yard line, and the 40 yard line are good indicators of this.

A1pigskin
11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
The big problem as I see it for now is that we are predictable. Everyone is now going to block the middle because we keep running that play over and over. Coach P should have learned this at WIU, he didn't. What about the wildcat formation we ran? How about loading one side? Run to the outside? Short throws? We didn't rotate our RB's. Running a vanilla 1st half doesn't work when the other team knows exactly what we are going to do. They also knew the adjustments we make at half time. Yes, Carson Wentz had a terrible game, there were open receivers multiple times and he got coverage sacks. We also made a lot of unforced errors, O line was terrible. The O line was also made to look terrible by unimaginative play calling. Players have off days, and coaches do too.

My disappointment comes from the fact we coached like we were afraid to lose, neither did we adapt when we saw that the opponent was prepared for what we are going to do. The punt at the end and the field goal at 4th and inches on the 2 yard line, and the 40 yard line are good indicators of this.

It seemed UNI new our game plan.

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 07:05 PM

I'll just say this. It sure worked fine for the other games. Can't say it's not effective when it's been working. Bottom line is our play action passing game was not effective, especially downfield. We all know we run the vanilla plays to get a big play in play action. The reality is we may not have good enough receivers. Nobody was open even when Wentz had time and when they were open they had too many drops or Wentz missed them. I just don't think we matchup well with UNI. Every team has a team that is a poor matchup for them.

marenlee
11-09-2014, 07:07 PM
The offense has left me disappointed many times this season. It wasn't until they ran the jet sweep to Bonnet did I have my first :facepalm:

CaBisonFan
11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
I'll just say this. It sure worked fine for the other games. Can't say it's not effective when it's been working. Bottom line is our play action passing game was not effective, especially downfield. We all know we run the vanilla plays to get a big play in play action. The reality is we may not have good enough receivers. Nobody was open even when Wentz had time and when they were open they had too many drops or Wentz missed them. I just don't think we matchup well with UNI. Every team has a team that is a poor matchup for them....this...

NDSUstudent
11-09-2014, 07:12 PM
The offense has left me disappointed many times this season. It wasn't until they ran the jet sweep to Bonnet did I have my first :facepalm:

That play call was so bad I almost think there had to be some kind of miscommunicaiton or confusion as to who is in the game.

yopaulie
11-09-2014, 07:15 PM

This. ...

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 07:36 PM
It seemed UNI new our game plan.
Yeah, it seemed like they knew the play call sometimes. I've always wondered about the security of the communication lines or wireless signal from up in the box to the sideline. Anyone know how that works?

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeah, it seemed like they knew the play call sometimes. I've always wondered about the security of the communication lines or wireless signal from up in the box to the sideline. Anyone know how that works?

I'm pretty confident it's secure.

You are not seriously suggesting

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty confident it's secure.

You are not seriously suggesting
I'm suggesting nothing. However if it can be done someone is doing it

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Doubtfully. That's why the Patriots had to resort to spy gate.

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Is the communication wireless?

yopaulie
11-09-2014, 08:10 PM

I was predicting our plays. Didn't need to intercept any communications to do it. Although the jet sweep to Bonnet fooled everyone...:(

HerdBot
11-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Is the communication wireless?

I found an app on the android market that is designed to steal signals. I'm kidding

1st&TennBison
11-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I scored 89 points once in Madden NFL against the Ravens.

1st&TennBison
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
:facepalm: 34 against Iowa State, 38 against SIU, 47 USD, 37 SDSU

Problem is, those are our good ones, what about Weber St and Western IL, those teams gave us fits. SDSU and Iowa St gave us fits in the first half and I believe those two games plus some others were won because of our better physical talent and style of play. Face it, the kids played great and gave it everything they had, penalties are the only thing I blame them for at all. But the coaching is everything else. We went up against a team that was just as good as us physically and they shut us down because of bad play calling for the most part on offense. Our defense played A+ ball yesterday, but the offense wasn't able to help them one bit, and special teams put them in a bind as well. I'm sure Polasek has it in him and there is a learning curve just like Vigen, but weather Polasek is new or not he needs to improve. You don't hire coaches so that they can learn, they are hired with the expectation that they know it, players are the ones who learn. We have two games left for the HC and OC to do some sole searching about offensive plays and getting penalties under control, do that and we will be fine.

Honeybooboo
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Problem is, those are our good ones, what about Weber St and Western IL, those teams gave us fits. SDSU and Iowa St gave us fits in the first half and I believe those two games plus some others were won because of our better physical talent and style of play. Face it, the kids played great and gave it everything they had, penalties are the only thing I blame them for at all. But the coaching is everything else. We went up against a team that was just as good as us physically and they shut us down because of bad play calling for the most part on offense. Our defense played A+ ball yesterday, but the offense wasn't able to help them one bit, and special teams put them in a bind as well. I'm sure Polasek has it in him and there is a learning curve just like Vigen, but weather Polasek is new or not he needs to improve. You don't hire coaches so that they can learn, they are hired with the expectation that they know it, players are the ones who learn. We have two games left for the HC and OC to do some sole searching about offensive plays and getting penalties under control, do that and we will be fine.

Bingo........UNI put up the same points as last year we didn't offense was the difference

1st&TennBison
11-09-2014, 09:39 PM

I have zero reason to think they hacked it. But to answer you question(I asked my next door neighbors kid 15 minutes ago who is a god at this kind of stuff), if you know what brand of device is being used by the team, (Motorola is a big one), you can track the signal by basically hooking up a scanning device of some sort to another duplicate transmitter/receiver. He used more technical terminology(which is out of my league), but that is the "Steal a transmitted signal signal for dummies" version. Hell if you can hack a cell phone conversation I would believe it. But I want to be clear that I do not believe that happened.

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
With all the money involved in pro and FBS someone has had to try it

1st&TennBison
11-09-2014, 10:11 PM
With all the money involved in pro and FBS someone has had to try it
Minus the cost of the duplicate transmitter/receiver device, $45 for the scanning device, don't need to be in the NFL or FBS to afford that.

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Farley made a visit to Radio Shack?

1st&TennBison
11-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Farley made a visit to Radio Shack?
Man that would be funny if someone had a radio shack receipt and posted it saying something like "were stealing your shit on the receipt, Love Coach Farley XOXOXO". I could see it now, PANTHERGATE!!!!!!

MAKBison
11-09-2014, 10:31 PM
I am a huge Coach P fan, but the play calling was bad. How many screens can a guy call ....I know, I know ...enough of them so that their Big NT knows to sit on the LOC and wait for them.

CMon...fire the guy = Stupid
give him a pass for yesterday = just as stupid.

perspective, guy has called 9 games

MAKBison
11-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I'll just say this. It sure worked fine for the other games. Can't say it's not effective when it's been working. Bottom line is our play action passing game was not effective, especially downfield. We all know we run the vanilla plays to get a big play in play action. The reality is we may not have good enough receivers. Nobody was open even when Wentz had time and when they were open they had too many drops or Wentz missed them. I just don't think we matchup well with UNI. Every team has a team that is a poor matchup for them.

Plenty of receivers were open CW was just not pulling the trigger and when he did it was to guys with tight coverage.....not making excuses for the guys dropping the ball. If it hits you n the hands you need to catch the darn thing. Also, during those coverage sacks Carson had the opportunity to pick up yards with his feet. I think CW he was hurt and I believe UNI got in his head. Still ST and line and procedural penalties screwed him. JC missed the open hole several times as well...took it inside when he should have went outside. Just a bad freaking day.....All around poor execution from the coach on down!

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Did we make any noticeable adjustments. I listened to the fist half on the radio and watched the 2nd.

MAKBison
11-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Did we make any noticeable adjustments. I listened to the fist half on the radio and watched the 2nd.

NO, we ran essentially the same plays. I would have liked to see us gone to the spread and roll CW out and or More QB runs out of the spread. When in power I would have liked to have seen more runs outside of the tackles.

SamsRams
11-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Some how, some way, RJ needs to be more involved

westnodak93bison
11-09-2014, 11:24 PM
NO, we ran essentially the same plays. I would have liked to see us gone to the spread and roll CW out and or More QB runs out of the spread. When in power I would have liked to have seen more runs outside of the tackles.
Remember the long run Chase had at ISU for a TD? Did we run that play at UNI?

El_Chapo
11-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Stubbornness killed us and unwillingness to change a plan in the middle of a war!

When it was 10-3 or 13-3. We could've threw 2 minute drill offense at them, no huddle or anything different!

NDSU drive chart. (Yards). Sick!

20 (punt)
11 (punt)
37 (punt)
21 (punt)
24 (int)
2 (punt)
0 (punt)
-2 (punt)
12 (punt)
9 (field goal)
-5 (punt)
2 (punt)
16 (punt)

natstar1
11-10-2014, 01:36 AM
I haven't watched every minute of every game and I missed the entire SDSU game, but how many times have we gone for it on 4th down? I can only remember 1.

edit: stats say we're 3 for 6

natstar1
11-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Red zone TD%
2011 39-56 (70%)
2012 50-74 (68%)
2013 50-65 (77%)
2014 23-41 (56%)

Field Goals Attempted
2011 - 18 - 15 games
2012 - 24 - 15 games
2013 - 13 - 15 games
2014 - 25 - 9 games

Stats only go back to 1990, but I'm fairly confident 25 FGAs is a school record for a season.

HerdBot
11-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Red zone TD%
2011 39-56 (70%)
2012 50-74 (68%)
2013 50-65 (77%)
2014 23-41 (56%)

Field Goals Attempted
2011 - 18 - 15 games
2012 - 24 - 15 games
2013 - 13 - 15 games
2014 - 25 - 9 games

That's been the story of our year. Bad redzone offense and it finally bit us in the ass. Luckily Keller has been money

stevdock
11-10-2014, 02:29 AM

I don't think we've made a whole lot of adjustments the whole year. Yes against SDSU we were perfect offensively. I still think it was due to execution than any adjustments that were made.

ZHerd
11-10-2014, 02:38 AM
I don't think we've made a whole lot of adjustments the whole year. Yes against SDSU we were perfect offensively. I still think it was due to execution than any adjustments that were made.

Actually we weren't good for a good portion of that game if their job is scoring. I thought the SIU game was a nice overall performance.

aces1180
11-10-2014, 02:41 AM
There are so many posters on the board who don't know shut about the game of football....Wow.

El_Chapo
11-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Join the club aces. Some of us understand put out stats and facts, others just shout down people's idea.

We needed to flip the script they were slamming our A gaps, X Williams was closing both sides. Their LBS WERE SELLING OUT ON OUR RUN GAME.

Pitch the ball outside yo crock ala herschal walker Georgia days....maybe.

Here's the bottom line. EVERYONE PLAYED A PART IN THIS LOSS. 24 hours IS UP. It's done

ndsubison1
11-10-2014, 04:55 AM

I was thinking same thing. Was surprised that we didnt run more off tackle. Didnt see much. Also only two carries for Frazier. Also, RJ needs more snaps and should be starting.

steelbison
11-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Semo, I wouldn't take it that far. What teams are doing to us right now and have been for quite sometime is stacking the BOX and daring us to throw the damn ball down the field!!!

I don't care what kind of O-line you have, when you play a good defense and all they have to do is stop the run they will be successful. What I loved about our offense last year is we passed early to set up the run. We took advantage of the one/one coverage. Vraa is a first team all conference player and we arent' using him at all!!

We need to start throwing the ball downfield. We need to playaction and hit the seam routes that are open. Hell we ran play-action twice all game and we had guys wide open because they were selling out to stop the run!!!

Another thing. Why the hell are we running like 10-15 jet sweep action plays a game? That is getting old...We are not a read option team..

Offense has zero identity right now...You can say we are a running team, but not smash mouth like we are used to. Too much finesse!!!

Also when we have 3rd and less than a yard and we have two plays to get that yard the call should be QB sneak..and if we don't get it another QB sneak..We needed a TD that point in the game. We hadn't sniffed the endzone all day.

One last thing. How about hurray up offense when we are down in the fourth quarter. We acted like we were up 20. 4-5 wides and open up offense. If it didn't work no biggie, no difference than the rest of the game.

I was at the game and had a first hand view of what happened. One thing we are very lucky is their QB is HORRIBLE. He has ZERO touch and accuracy. If he did we would have lost by 30... Also #49 needs to start at MLB. When he was in the game you could see the difference. CLJ is a OLB..and a very good one. But average playing the middle vs the run.

One last thing. We needed to jump on these guys early and take the crowd out of the game. It was VERY LOUD and it affected us bigtime. That also had an effect on the O-line...

Let's see how we bounce back. The playcalling/offensive execution has been suspect all year IMO Please don't throw out stats/points. We need to improve RIGHT NOW or we are in trouble. Teams have us figured out. Load the box, don't fear the pass and sell out at all costs to stop the run. We need to make adjustments to back up the LB's and safety's.

El_Chapo
11-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Raise your hand if you want Tim Polasek on the sideline with a head set and showing some fire!!

Can you imagine if Tim was on the sideline for that 4th and 1 and just screaming & yelling and motivating our boys for that TD?

NDSUstudent
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Raise your hand if you want Tim Polasek on the sideline with a head set and showing some fire!!

Can you imagine if Tim was on the sideline for that 4th and 1 and just screaming & yelling and motivating our boys for that TD?

I agree, I think Tim should give the field a shot. Maybe having him on the sideline would give the offense some more fire, they needed that on Saturday.

BisonNation11
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
No, because on that play whether he's up in the booth or on the field, he called the wrong play. There was absolutely no reason to run the ball there. The same boot leg pass play to Vaad we used against SDSU the week before would have worked to perfection. It's mind-boggling how we get in those situations down by the goal line and assume we have to pound it when they are clearly selling out to stop the run. Needs to be an audible that Carson can go to in those situations. He has to read what the defense is giving him and check out if needed. Brock was a master at this. Wentz will get it with time if they allow him to.

MAKBison
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Semo, I wouldn't take it that far. What teams are doing to us right now and have been for quite sometime is stacking the BOX and daring us to throw the damn ball down the field!!!

I don't care what kind of O-line you have, when you play a good defense and all they have to do is stop the run they will be successful. What I loved about our offense last year is we passed early to set up the run. We took advantage of the one/one coverage. Vraa is a first team all conference player and we arent' using him at all!!

We need to start throwing the ball downfield. We need to playaction and hit the seam routes that are open. Hell we ran play-action twice all game and we had guys wide open because they were selling out to stop the run!!!

Another thing. Why the hell are we running like 10-15 jet sweep action plays a game? That is getting old...We are not a read option team..

Offense has zero identity right now...You can say we are a running team, but not smash mouth like we are used to. Too much finesse!!!

Also when we have 3rd and less than a yard and we have two plays to get that yard the call should be QB sneak..and if we don't get it another QB sneak..We needed a TD that point in the game. We hadn't sniffed the endzone all day.

One last thing. How about hurray up offense when we are down in the fourth quarter. We acted like we were up 20. 4-5 wides and open up offense. If it didn't work no biggie, no difference than the rest of the game.

I was at the game and had a first hand view of what happened. One thing we are very lucky is their QB is HORRIBLE. He has ZERO touch and accuracy. If he did we would have lost by 30... Also #49 needs to start at MLB. When he was in the game you could see the difference. CLJ is a OLB..and a very good one. But average playing the middle vs the run.

One last thing. We needed to jump on these guys early and take the crowd out of the game. It was VERY LOUD and it affected us bigtime. That also had an effect on the O-line...

Let's see how we bounce back. The playcalling/offensive execution has been suspect all year IMO Please don't throw out stats/points. We need to improve RIGHT NOW or we are in trouble. Teams have us figured out. Load the box, don't fear the pass and sell out at all costs to stop the run. We need to make adjustments to back up the LB's and safety's.

I have been thinking the same thing, but then I was like but, wait....no one has stopped us all year. Save it for when we need it....I mean why show them something different. After the second series in third I was like ok change it up and open this up. When they did not I started to wonder.....well maybe we cant execute and that is why we have not seen it. I sure hope I am wrong!

El_Chapo
11-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I agree, I think Tim should give the field a shot. Maybe having him on the sideline would give the offense some more fire, they needed that on Saturday.

I was in row 1. Crockett had an unbelieable effort to get to that 4th and 1 and I can just envision Polasek running down the sidelines screaming SNAP THE BALL AND HAND IT OFF NOW!!!

ndsubison1
11-10-2014, 07:45 PM

I agree we dont really have an identity right now. Polasek brought a few wrinkles from NIU to our offense. More shot gun, jet sweeps, more zone read. Although off the top of my head we didnt run much read/midline option this past weekend.

56BISON73
11-10-2014, 08:23 PM
If you want Polasek on the sideline and fired up put him back as a position coach. He needs to more cerebral as an O/C.

Mr. Burgundy
11-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Sam, lakes, whoever....it was his choice to be upstairs. It is the right choice. Our fans love running the ball. Everyone yells RUN THE DAMN BALL...non stop. Now we run it over and over and we wan to roll our our quarterback, who is hurt. I love our fans. 100% right on everything, at all times. We got beat on the road by a good team that had everything to lose. If you didn't think it was a possibility, then you are an impossible to please. We don't have to win by 100 all the time. We got beat. Our goals didn't change. Time to focus on Missouri State.

T-Funk
11-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Sam, lakes, whoever....it was his choice to be upstairs. It is the right choice. Our fans love running the ball. Everyone yells RUN THE DAMN BALL...non stop. Now we run it over and over and we wan to roll our our quarterback, who is hurt. I love our fans. 100% right on everything, at all times. We got beat on the road by a good team that had everything to lose. If you didn't think it was a possibility, then you are an impossible to please. We don't have to win by 100 all the time. We got beat. Our goals didn't change. Time to focus on Missouri State.

Besides, we don't need Polasek on the sidelines when we have Burgundy down there. :biggrin:

El_Chapo
11-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm not saying we need Tim anywhere, I just can envision him being pumped up on the sidelines burgundy whoever, hehe. I'm not advocating anyway !!

1st&TennBison
11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
I was in row 1. Crockett had an unbelieable effort to get to that 4th and 1 and I can just envision Polasek running down the sidelines screaming SNAP THE BALL AND HAND IT OFF NOW!!!
How about a quick snap once in a while, on that 3rd down at the 3 we seemed to wait for their defense to get set before snapping the ball.

westnodak93bison
11-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Our fan base doesn't expect to win by a 100 just 46-6 :mad:

Bison56
11-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Reading some of these posts you would think this is a team on a 10 game losing streak.

westnodak93bison
11-11-2014, 03:48 AM
Reading some of these posts you would think this is a team on a 10 game losing streak.
Well we haven't won a game since 11/01/14

1st&TennBison
11-11-2014, 03:56 AM
Well we haven't won a game since 11/01/14
Wasn't gas like 25 cents a gallon back then??

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
11-13-2014, 02:30 AM

"The pick in the redzone that bounced off of the receivers hands and into the UNI's hands was flukey and changed the game"

That was a piss-poor pass and the receiver was barely able to get his finger tips on the ball. Albeit he was being tackled at the time and probably should have been pass interference.

CAS4127
11-13-2014, 02:45 AM
Time for coach P to grow and improve. Many of us said this about Vigen and off season. Unfortunately, we don't have an off season at the moment for that to happen. The balance of the season will be telling. We are talented enough to win with players the Natty--question whether we are with coaches. Also, coach P, IMO, should stay upstairs where he has a bird's eye view of what is going on. If he can't see it and communicate to Wentz from there, the LAST place he should be is on sideline "pumping it up"!! That's not his job/responsibility.

SamsRams
11-13-2014, 03:38 AM
I'm not saying we need Tim anywhere, I just can envision him being pumped up on the sidelines burgundy whoever, hehe. I'm not advocating anyway !!

Rallying people to advocate him to be on the sidelines is not advocating for him to be on the sidelines? OK thanks for clearing that up.

I am not advocating you are an idiot.....but everyone raise their hands if you think Sam Hum is an freaking idiot

El_Chapo
11-13-2014, 03:42 AM
Hey personal attacker!
I'm not advocating anything, i was being facetious (look it up) I was saying it would've been awesome to see him run down the sideline screaming. LETS GO J CROCK. Give him the dam ball shove it in the end zone!!

Chill man, take a deep breath inhale.....exhale... But keep on hatin

SamsRams
11-13-2014, 03:48 AM
I will take that as you raising your hand to agree you are an idiot. Thanks for participating

And I am not attacking you, I am just saying imagine how many people hate you and asking people to tell you how much of an idiot you are.

El_Chapo
11-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Ok pipe down sheesh

344Johnson
11-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Time for coach P to grow and improve. Many of us said this about Vigen and off season. Unfortunately, we don't have an off season at the moment for that to happen. The balance of the season will be telling. We are talented enough to win with players the Natty--question whether we are with coaches. Also, coach P, IMO, should stay upstairs where he has a bird's eye view of what is going on. If he can't see it and communicate to Wentz from there, the LAST place he should be is on sideline "pumping it up"!! That's not his job/responsibility.

This. Fire on the sideline is great if they feel more comfortable with that.

El_Chapo
11-13-2014, 04:27 AM
I just wanted to see some emotion.....there was zero that day.

But we gave away 28 points with an INT, 4 & 1 and vraa wide open twice

natstar1
11-13-2014, 04:40 AM

Is the college rule different in the NFL with regards to communication? In the NFL plays have to come in from the sideline.

Also, has Polasek ever called plays before?

SamsRams
11-13-2014, 05:29 AM
But we gave away 28 points with an INT, 4 & 1 and vraa wide open twice

Please explain how a team can score 2 TDs on one drive

344Johnson
11-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Is the college rule different in the NFL with regards to communication? In the NFL plays have to come in from the sideline.

Also, has Polasek ever called plays before?

are you sure? I thought QB/MLB;s had mic's in their helmets for a reason

G_Funky
11-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Listen - it doesnt matter if Coach P calls inside/outside zone, a toss/stretch, A gap power, draw, option, veer...or whatever the hell else running plays you all think he should be running if you cant get to second level or reestablish the LOS you wont will ball games or you wont be successful offensively...we've seen it all year. When SU's front 5 are able to win their personal battles up front and reestablish the LOS or when they were able to get to the second level then our running game flourished. When the defense won those battles and the front 4 or 5 on the defense was able to neutralize the our front 5, allowing LBs to flow and scrape to make plays, then our offense sputtered. We dont have high powered weapons on offense that can line up and score 40+ a game regardless of who NDSU is playing. Everything is predicated on staying on schedule, eating up TOP, and taking care of the football. You dont do those things by deciding to run a bunch of off the wall plays that you havent prepared for all week. Its like during practice they run all these plays and perfect the scheme against every possible look from the opposition and then when that's done say "Okay, now if those plays dont work we are going to run these plays even tho they aren't in the playbook."

Coach P ran the NDSU offense on Saturday - it was the guys in the jersey's who didnt execute. CW, Vaad, the o-line, Crock...they all just played like garbage. That isnt on Coach P...that isnt on any of the coaches...they arent playing the game. They spend hours upon hours meticulously creating a game plan that is then put on the players to execute. If the guys in the uniform cant get it done there is noting any of the coaches can do.

I guarantee you this - and thats what makes SU so dang great...none of those guys rolled into meetings on Monday thinking that Coach P needs to call different plays...they took this one on themselves.

NDSU_grad
11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Listen - it doesnt matter if Coach P calls inside/outside zone, a toss/stretch, A gap power, draw, option, veer...or whatever the hell else running plays you all think he should be running if you cant get to second level or reestablish the LOS you wont will ball games or you wont be successful offensively...we've seen it all year. When SU's front 5 are able to win their personal battles up front and reestablish the LOS or when they were able to get to the second level then our running game flourished. When the defense won those battles and the front 4 or 5 on the defense was able to neutralize the our front 5, allowing LBs to flow and scrape to make plays, then our offense sputtered. We dont have high powered weapons on offense that can line up and score 40+ a game regardless of who NDSU is playing. Everything is predicated on staying on schedule, eating up TOP, and taking care of the football. You dont do those things by deciding to run a bunch of off the wall plays that you havent prepared for all week. Its like during practice they run all these plays and perfect the scheme against every possible look from the opposition and then when that's done say "Okay, now if those plays dont work we are going to run these plays even tho they aren't in the playbook."

Coach P ran the NDSU offense on Saturday - it was the guys in the jersey's who didnt execute. CW, Vaad, the o-line, Crock...they all just played like garbage. That isnt on Coach P...that isnt on any of the coaches...they arent playing the game. They spend hours upon hours meticulously creating a game plan that is then put on the players to execute. If the guys in the uniform cant get it done there is noting any of the coaches can do.

I guarantee you this - and thats what makes SU so dang great...none of those guys rolled into meetings on Monday thinking that Coach P needs to call different plays...they took this one on themselves.

+20 eleventy billion

Mayville Bison
11-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Executing is definitely how you win football games, however, if the coaches can't do anything on game day, why are they even there? A coach's job on game day is to execute the game plan. When that game plan isn't working, are they supposed to sit back and blame the players for not executing? No! They make adjustments.

It's not all on the coaches and it's not all on the players. It seemed everyone had an off-day - it happens. They need to learn from it to make sure it doesn't happen again the next week.

yopaulie
11-13-2014, 02:14 PM

I hear people argue that coaching doesn't matter cause the players win games, and vice versa, as is if it is only one thing or the other. Both matter...a lot.

Take the extreme -would a great team running the exact same play over and over still win in the MVFC? No. You can run limited plays and dare the other teams to stop you, especially when you gain control over the LOS, but you still need to make adjustments when it isn't working. So play calling and coaching are important, in addition to players making it happen.

You also seem to be saying we don't have in playbook or practice any off tackle running plays or outside screens. That is what people have been saying the gap was - why run up the middle repeatedly at #98, when he is the best NIU defender on the field? Then we throw 3 middle screens during the game - again with #98 blowing them up. If we don't have those plays (I think we do), then that is a huge coaching gap as well. Our first year coaches are learning, and need to grow from this loss.

steelbison
11-13-2014, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=G_Funky;943779]Listen - it doesnt matter if Coach P calls inside/outside zone, a toss/stretch, A gap power, draw, option, veer...or whatever the hell else running plays you all think he should be running if you cant get to second level or reestablish the LOS you wont will ball games or you wont be successful offensively...we've seen it all year. When SU's front 5 are able to win their personal battles up front and reestablish the LOS or when they were able to get to the second level then our running game flourished. When the defense won those battles and the front 4 or 5 on the defense was able to neutralize the our front 5, allowing LBs to flow and scrape to make plays, then our offense sputtered. We dont have high powered weapons on offense that can line up and score 40+ a game regardless of who NDSU is playing. Everything is predicated on staying on schedule, eating up TOP, and taking care of the football. You dont do those things by deciding to run a bunch of off the wall plays that you havent prepared for all week. Its like during practice they run all these plays and perfect the scheme against every possible look from the opposition and then when that's done say "Okay, now if those plays dont work we are going to run these plays even tho they aren't in the playbook."

We don't have high powered weapons? Take a look at #82 stats from last year. Then take a look at this year. We are not using him like we should be. He should be targeted 6-10 times/game.

Totally disagree about the play calling Saturday. When you play a fast defense you run multiple jet sweeps???? Also you run multiple middle screens? Yep that was the players faults for not blocking those plays....please at least know what your talking about.

Did we play our best game? Hell no, but as a coach if something isn't working just because you scouted a team and thought it was going to be successful, you have to make adjustments.

Maybe a bubble screen or two, how about a reverse(don't think we have called one all year) Maybe pass when it's not third and long...Maybe take a couple of deep shots with Vraa, I mean the guy only had 15 TDS last year... Just in case you forgot below are a few stats of a guy we are not using right now.

2013 SEASON (JUNIOR): All-Missouri Valley Football Conference first team...Played in all 15 games including eight starts...Ranked third in school history with 67 receptions...Finished 10th in the FCS with a school-record 1,191 yards (seventh in MVFC history)...Ranked third nationally with a school-record 15 touchdowns (second in MVFC history)...Led the MVFC in receiving yards per game (79.4)...Had seven 100-yard receiving games…

G_Funky
11-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I hear people argue that coaching don't matter cause the players win games, and vice versa, as is if it is only one thing or the other. Both matter...a lot.

Take the extreme -would a great team running the exact same play over and over still win in the MVFC? No. You can run limited plays and dare the other teams to stop you, especially when you gain control over the LOS, but you still need to make adjustments when it isn't working. So play calling and coaching are important, in addition to players making it happen.

You also seem to be saying we don't have in playbook or practice any off tackle running plays or outside screens. That is what people have been saying the gap was - why run up the middle repeatedly at #98, when he is the best defender on the field? Then we throw 3 middle screens during the game - again with #98 blowing them up. If we don't have those plays (I think we do), then that is a huge coaching gap as well. Our first year coaches are learning, and need to grow from this loss.

You're missing the point...

Coach P could have called 49 toss crack screen zone read right and if the players dont execute that play its the same as calling power up the middle. We got beat because UNI's front 7 was better and no one seems to want to accept that.

Are you saying that against the other 9 teams we've beaten we weren't better than them? They just didnt adjust to our defense or didnt adjust to our offense and that was the deciding factor? I dont buy that for anything.

Players play the game and the coaches call the plays. If CW connects with Vraa, even once, on one of those deep balls then its a great throw by CW and a great route by Vraa...if Crock hits one of those "up the gut" runs for a 50 yard TD then its a great job by the o-line and great vision by JC...however - when those plays dont work and they gain nothing that it's on the coaches for calling the wrong play...

Bisonator98
11-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Too many people want the coaches head after a bad play when in reality the players just didn't execute.

With that said though there is blame for a coaching staff not making adjustments and putting the players in a better position to be successful too.

steelbison
11-13-2014, 02:40 PM
You're missing the point...

Coach P could have called 49 toss crack screen zone read right and if the players dont execute that play its the same as calling power up the middle. We got beat because UNI's front 7 was better and no one seems to want to accept that.

Are you saying that against the other 9 teams we've beaten we weren't better than them? They just didnt adjust to our defense or didnt adjust to our offense and that was the deciding factor? I dont buy that for anything.

Players play the game and the coaches call the plays. If CW connects with Vraa, even once, on one of those deep balls then its a great throw by CW and a great route by Vraa...if Crock hits one of those "up the gut" runs for a 50 yard TD then its a great job by the o-line and great vision by JC...however - when those plays dont work and they gain nothing that it's on the coaches for calling the wrong play...

That's not what I'm saying. UNI took it to us. No doubt. Everything you said above was correct. But don't you think you will have a much higher success completing a pass on 1st and 10 than 3rd and 9? As an example. My point is if something isn't working like it wasn't working saturday what did we have to lose to change it up? At least when we went down 10 in the fourth how about a 2 minute offense?

For the record I'm not blaming the OC for the loss. I like Tim and think he is a good coach. Maybe we don't try multiple middle screens, jet sweeps, and when we have it third and short on the 3 yard line we run two QB sneaks to get a first down..maybe a TD and we have a different game. But we will never know because IMHO we didn't adjust to anything they were doing..we tried to shove the ball down their throats and it was obvious to everyone that wasn't going to work..

runtheoption
11-13-2014, 02:51 PM
So after reading the last few posts, sounds to me like coaches gonna coach, and players gonna play...shake it off.

BisonNation11
11-13-2014, 03:19 PM
So after reading the last few posts, sounds to me like coaches gonna coach, and players gonna play...shake it off.

Thanks Taylor Swift :)

El_Chapo
11-13-2014, 03:45 PM
3 Middle Screens,
1 Fullback jet sweep??
3 QB planned runs
15 RB runs up the middle

We have been SCOUTED heavily, other teams know what plays are coming.

NO adjustments in game, NO hurry up offense (just to flip the script) Its gonna change.

SDbison
11-13-2014, 03:48 PM
That's not what I'm saying. UNI took it to us. No doubt. Everything you said above was correct. But don't you think you will have a much higher success completing a pass on 1st and 10 than 3rd and 9? As an example. My point is if something isn't working like it wasn't working saturday what did we have to lose to change it up? At least when we went down 10 in the fourth how about a 2 minute offense?

For the record I'm not blaming the OC for the loss. I like Tim and think he is a good coach. Maybe we don't try multiple middle screens, jet sweeps, and when we have it third and short on the 3 yard line we run two QB sneaks to get a first down..maybe a TD and we have a different game. But we will never know because IMHO we didn't adjust to anything they were doing..we tried to shove the ball down their throats and it was obvious to everyone that wasn't going to work.. In summary, when playing a talented and physically well matched team the Bison offense is just too damn predictable. Try something different to start, or adjust to take advantage of where the opponent is focusing their defense. I am getting tired of posters here always expecting NDSU players to execute better than the opposing teams players. It is a battle out there and the decisions of the general and his staff do make a difference. Sending them to slaughter with an obvious redundant plan is both stupid and ridiculous. I mostly blame the coaches for the UNI loss. And yes, I watched a majority of NDSU's o-line get stood up most of the day on Saturday. But then, NDSU coaches made it easy as UNI's d-line was staying in their lanes first to stuff the run up the middle and to keep Wentz in the pocket so he could not take off running.

missingnumber7
11-13-2014, 03:53 PM
The announcers pretty much nailed it in the 4th quarter when they said that it didn't appear that NDSU was making any adjustments to the play calls and it was fairly predictable what you were going to see. And the other guy in the booth goes, its usually that way with NDSU only that we can't stop them.

We are looking at this team as if it were last years team, and lets face it, it isn't for several reasons, but the coaching change is a huge difference. I am very interested to see how this team comes out on Saturday. I trust this coaching staff to challenge the players, I trust the players to raise to the challenge.

North Side
11-13-2014, 03:55 PM
This week is a MUST win. NDSU can't afford to start loosing now.

Mr. Burgundy
11-13-2014, 04:37 PM
3 Middle Screens,
1 Fullback jet sweep??
3 QB planned runs
15 RB runs up the middle

We have been SCOUTED heavily, other teams know what plays are coming.

NO adjustments in game, NO hurry up offense (just to flip the script) Its gonna change.

Sammy loves to beg for the HURRY UP offense at NDSU likes he wants us to move to FBS. It is the trendy...MAKE A CHANGE.....but...but..but....

RELAX. Enjoy the season.

Gully
11-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Clearly the problem is there were some shady people roaming our sidelines who are not coaches. Apparently they let anyone down there now :)

344Johnson
11-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Sammy loves to beg for the HURRY UP offense at NDSU likes he wants us to move to FBS. It is the trendy...MAKE A CHANGE.....but...but..but....

RELAX. Enjoy the season.

Hurry up offense is great if you spend a lot of time working on it. Something tells me NDSU does not use their time on that.

Oregon, Az St, Auburn, etc can do it because that's what those teams are built to do.

Pro teams can do it because football is their life.

I have no problem with hurrying up if a team can execute it well, but doing it for the sake of doing it seems dumb.

stevdock
11-13-2014, 05:06 PM
In summary, when playing a talented and physically well matched team the Bison offense is just too damn predictable. Try something different to start, or adjust to take advantage of where the opponent is focusing their defense. I am getting tired of posters here always expecting NDSU players to execute better than the opposing teams players. It is a battle out there and the decisions of the general and his staff do make a difference. Sending them to slaughter with an obvious redundant plan is both stupid and ridiculous. I mostly blame the coaches for the UNI loss. And yes, I watched a majority of NDSU's o-line get stood up most of the day on Saturday. But then, NDSU coaches made it easy as UNI's d-line was staying in their lanes first to stuff the run up the middle and to keep Wentz in the pocket so he could not take off running.

I've said this from day one but because we were winning it went on deaf ears. We are not out coaching teams this year. We are also not wearing teams down like we have in the past. I personally think we won the 9 games we won because we flat out had more talent than the other team. UNI has about the same talent as we do, and they coached their kids up to stop what we do. They went back to probably all 9 of our games and saw holes in our team and attacked each and every one of those and eventually wore us out and won the game. They flat out out-coached us.

natstar1
11-13-2014, 05:40 PM
are you sure? I thought QB/MLB;s had mic's in their helmets for a reason

NFL QBs are connected to someone on the sideline. Norv Turner doesn't send the plays to Teddy. Norv sends them to Scott Turner on the sideline and then Scott send them to Teddy.

Does that make sense?

El_Chapo
11-13-2014, 07:25 PM

RELAX. Enjoy the season.

I am relaxed, we all good. Im saying when SHIT aint working, Flip the Script! throw a no huddle, act like we are down by 20 when we are down by 10-13 what did you have to lose?

of course I don't want a hurry up offense 100% of the time, cmon I aint no chip kelly jay

344Johnson
11-13-2014, 08:00 PM
NFL QBs are connected to someone on the sideline. Norv Turner doesn't send the plays to Teddy. Norv sends them to Scott Turner on the sideline and then Scott send them to Teddy.

Does that make sense?

Ahhh it certainly does. Thank you much.

17>1
11-13-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned on here, but Polasek didn't over throw/run the wrong route on those 2 passes to Vraa. If Zach catches either of them, he takes it to the house and it's an entirely different ball game. That pick on the 5 really hurt too as we were about to get points there. I'm not all about defending the guy because I would agree that there were some things I would've liked to have seen differently. But if either of those things does/does not happen, we probably aren't on page 4 of the Tim Polasek thread.

Bisonville GasMan
11-14-2014, 12:41 AM

...UGH!!!...even on Bisonville I can't get away from that song.

CaBisonFan
11-14-2014, 01:23 AM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned on here, but Polasek didn't over throw/run the wrong route on those 2 passes to Vraa. If Zach catches either of them, he takes it to the house and it's an entirely different ball game. That pick on the 5 really hurt too as we were about to get points there. I'm not all about defending the guy because I would agree that there were some things I would've liked to have seen differently. But if either of those things does/does not happen, we probably aren't on page 4 of the Tim Polasek thread....agreed...

RonMexico
11-14-2014, 04:32 AM
Ahhh it certainly does. Thank you much.

Yes, by rule the helmet communication must be to a coach on the sidelines. Also, when the play clock gets to 15 seconds, the signal is cut off. Both rules were put in to try to limit the amount of coaching that could be done in between plays.

westnodak93bison
11-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Our OC just needs to figure out how to keep the opposing defense coming and going

SDbison
11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned on here, but Polasek didn't over throw/run the wrong route on those 2 passes to Vraa. If Zach catches either of them, he takes it to the house and it's an entirely different ball game. That pick on the 5 really hurt too as we were about to get points there. I'm not all about defending the guy because I would agree that there were some things I would've liked to have seen differently. But if either of those things does/does not happen, we probably aren't on page 4 of the Tim Polasek thread. Wrong!.......no game is played perfect and there are missed opportunities EVERY game. The Bison didn't play well against UNI, but I think the coaches offensive game plan made a bad situation worse. UNI outcoached NDSU and UNI's equally talented players had a great game plan and executed it. This slow starting Bison offense thing has got to stop. Take control of a game right away and don't look back. You would think NDSU is a middle of the pack team the way the offense often stumbles and misfires.

SDbison
11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Our OC just needs to figure out how to keep the opposing defense coming and going What????????

westnodak93bison
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
What????????
Just being a smart ass. One of my favorite sayings along with if its not one thing its another.

17>1
11-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Wrong!.......no game is played perfect and there are missed opportunities EVERY game. The Bison didn't play well against UNI, but I think the coaches offensive game plan made a bad situation worse. UNI outcoached NDSU and UNI's equally talented players had a great game plan and executed it. This slow starting Bison offense thing has got to stop. Take control of a game right away and don't look back. You would think NDSU is a middle of the pack team the way the offense often stumbles and misfires.

What am I wrong about? I'm simply giving my perspective and opinion, just like you've done. And it seems you've contradicted yourself if your analysis. "no game is played perfect and there are missed opportunities EVERY game....You would think NDSU is a middle of the pack team the way the offense often stumbles and misfires". SD, it appears you have it all figured out, where can you sign up to be the next NDSU OC?

DORMIE
11-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Didn't help that Wentz wasn't healthy and wasn't able to run the ball. Just might have taken a little from the game plan. Get him healthy and it will probably be a different story.

natstar1
11-14-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned on here, but Polasek didn't over throw/run the wrong route on those 2 passes to Vraa. If Zach catches either of them, he takes it to the house and it's an entirely different ball game. That pick on the 5 really hurt too as we were about to get points there. I'm not all about defending the guy because I would agree that there were some things I would've liked to have seen differently. But if either of those things does/does not happen, we probably aren't on page 4 of the Tim Polasek thread.
I agree. SDbison is just being a jackass.

CaBisonFan
11-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Didn't help that Wentz wasn't healthy and wasn't able to run the ball. Just might have taken a little from the game plan. Get him healthy and it will probably be a different story.Ankle sprain?

Elvis was a Bison
11-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I agree. SDbison is just being a jackass.

Jackass might be a little harsh......

I do see a bit more "grouchy" in his posts as of late. It could be a result of the "lakes effect" that is causing turbulence on the board. You know...... kinda like "lake effect" snow. Comes down in quantities too large to be part of the normal storm system; affects isolated areas; makes everyone in those areas miserable and resigned to a feeling of helplessness...... Yeah, that's it!!!!!

El_Chapo
11-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Nope your wrong elvis

344Johnson
11-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Wrong!.......no game is played perfect and there are missed opportunities EVERY game. The Bison didn't play well against UNI, but I think the coaches offensive game plan made a bad situation worse. UNI outcoached NDSU and UNI's equally talented players had a great game plan and executed it. This slow starting Bison offense thing has got to stop. Take control of a game right away and don't look back. You would think NDSU is a middle of the pack team the way the offense often stumbles and misfires.

Mhm. This.

Elvis was a Bison
11-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Nope your wrong elvis
Perhaps, but I'll let the posters make that decision. I've gained a lot of rep points by calling a spade a spade on this board.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wait.....!! Are you saying SDbison is being a jackass or is there some other part of my post that is wrong???

StL Bison Fan
11-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Perhaps, but I'll let the posters make that decision. I've gained a lot of rep points by calling a spade a spade on this board.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wait.....!! Are you saying SDbison is being a jackass or is there some other part of my post that is wrong???

4977. .

A1pigskin
11-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Need more red zone TD's.

westnodak93bison
11-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Need more red zone TD's.
Yeah, definitely need to improve there

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Have we run a bubble screen this year? Seems like we are lacking offensive creativity.

acf2
11-15-2014, 04:02 AM
Have we run a bubble screen this year? Seems like we are lacking offensive creativity.

Saving the fun stuff for the playoffs...

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Saving the fun stuff for the playoffs...

Please!!

344Johnson
11-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Please!!

This staff isn't creative... Unless we are talking about fb sweeps

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 04:14 AM
This staff isn't creative... Unless we are talking about fb sweeps

We will see, Johnson!! We will see...

344Johnson
11-15-2014, 04:29 AM
We will see, Johnson!! We will see...

Only one way to find out! Care to throw down a wager?

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 04:34 AM
Only one way to find out! Care to throw down a wager?

No--put your jamies on and go to bed!!

And pray for a to play well...

344Johnson
11-15-2014, 04:44 AM
No--put your jamies on and go to bed!!

And pray for a to play well...

Don't tell me when to go to bed.

My prayers will go too more important causes than a game of football.

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Touchdown Jesus!! Nite!!

344Johnson
11-15-2014, 04:54 AM
Touchdown Jesus!! Nite!!

Hope my boys score plenty tomorrow!

ndsubison1
11-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Weve run plenty.

semobison
11-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Watched the Bison football show a couple nights ago. Coach brought up a couple terms that I hadn't heard describing Bison football in some time. Missed blocks and missed tackles! Lots of talk here about coaching and play calling and some of it is legit.... Almost any play you call will fail if you have missed blocks. NDSU won 33 straight because we have owned the line of scrimmage. That didn't happen against UNI

scottsdaleping
11-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Didn't help that Wentz wasn't healthy and wasn't able to run the ball. Just might have taken a little from the game plan. Get him healthy and it will probably be a different story.

appears wentz was more nicked up than fans knew about. my question is an injured wentz playing better than a healthy QB #2 ??

scottsdaleping
11-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Watched the Bison football show a couple nights ago. Coach brought up a couple terms that I hadn't heard describing Bison football in some time. Missed blocks and missed tackles! Lots of talk here about coaching and play calling and some of it is legit.... Almost any play you call will fail if you have missed blocks. NDSU won 33 straight because we have owned the line of scrimmage. That didn't happen against UNI

3 straight national championships with 2 running backs over 1000 yds those years says it all !!!!!

El_Chapo
11-15-2014, 03:45 PM
3 straight national championships with 2 running backs over 1000 yds those years says it all !!!!!

Play calling, O line blocking, interior tackling and QB play need to step it up,the rest of the year, that's been a weakness in our loss or times we play uninspired. Let's fix that and win 6 straight

scottsdaleping
11-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Play calling, O line blocking, interior tackling and QB play need to step it up,the rest of the year, that's been a weakness in our loss or times we play uninspired. Let's fix that and win 6 straight

perfect storm of things that could go wrong !!!

semobison
11-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Damn, Chapo, pretty spot on analysis! Offense needs to control of the line of scrimmage.

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 04:50 PM
appears wentz was more nicked up than fans knew about. my question is an injured wentz playing better than a healthy QB #2 ??

That's my question too. Many other FCS teams play and win with back-up QB's--think EWU for example. How is it that we can't do that. Give the guy a chance.

El_Chapo
11-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Damn, Chapo, pretty spot on analysis! Offense needs to control of the line of scrimmage.

If we do those 4 things polosak looks much much better. Let's get it done today!!

BraxtonT
11-15-2014, 05:18 PM

I couldn't agree more with this, though it's tough to do when #23 is getting over 80% of the carries. #22 and #25 need to be given the ball 40% of the time. Crock's good as a feature back, but would be even better if the others are given more of the load.

56BISON73
11-15-2014, 05:25 PM
That's my question too. Many other FCS teams play and win with back-up QB's--think EWU for example. How is it that we can't do that. Give the guy a chance.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56BISON73
11-15-2014, 05:27 PM

Sam I can finally agree with you. Problem is this hasnt been a one game thing. These weaknesses have been noted previously. UNI just happened to exploit all of them in one game.

semobison
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I couldn't agree more with this, though it's tough to do when #23 is getting over 80% of the carries. #22 and #25 need to be given the ball 40% of the time. Crock's good as a feature back, but would be even better if the others are given more of the load.

Last year in conference play JC averaged 6.3 ypc. This year through 6 games he averages 4.5 ypc. and I don't think this is on Crockett. Ojuri was even better last year in conference games averaging 6.5 ypc.

westnodak93bison
11-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Sometimes its OK to go around a wall rather than thump the chest and insist on trying to break it down.

MAKBison
11-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Last year in conference play JC averaged 6.3 ypc. This year through 6 games he averages 4.5 ypc. and I don't think this is on Crockett. Ojuri was even better last year in conference games averaging 6.5 ypc.

Well you also have to compare O lines....last years was pretty darn good!

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Well you also have to compare O lines....last years was pretty darn good!

True, but Polasek needs to realize that too.

MAKBison
11-15-2014, 07:02 PM
True, but Polasek needs to realize that too.

No disagreement here.....I am not in the fire the guy camp, but he needs to improve. perspective...he is called 9 games in hi life now

El_Chapo
11-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Go for it on 4th down. 1 dam time. You have a great defense. Light a dam fire!!!

NorthernBison
11-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Go for it on 4th down. 1 dam time. You have a great defense. Light a dam fire!!!

Head Coach makes that decision.

bisonaudit
11-15-2014, 07:43 PM

I agree reed with the sentiment but that decision is not on the coordinator.

aces1180
11-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Sigh......

TransAmBison
11-15-2014, 08:38 PM
There were some pretty good passing plays called during the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter today.

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
There were some pretty good passing plays called during the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter today.

There were passing plays called.

BadlandsBison
11-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Why doesn't the new logo have a lightning bolt?

2011BisonAlumni
11-15-2014, 09:49 PM
I think the lightbulb turned on in TP's brain after the 1st quarter. Much better play calling today.

tony
11-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Read a book about football. 1 dam time. You have two eyes and I assume that you are literate. Light a dam candle to dispel the darkness of your profound ignorance of the footballs! :)

2011BisonAlumni
11-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Read a book about football. 1 dam time. You have two eyes and I assume that you are literate. Light a dam candle to dispel the darkness of your profound ignorance of the footballs! :)

When NDSU is struggling on offense and they get the ball to around the 40, just go for it. This defense has still not been tested this season. Sometimes you just need to do something to get a little momentum going and keep your offense on the field to get into the flow of the game.

tony
11-15-2014, 10:09 PM
When NDSU is struggling on offense and they get the ball to around the 40, just go for it. This defense has still not been tested this season. Sometimes you just need to do something to get a little momentum going and keep your offense on the field to get into the flow of the game.

You should know what this thread is about since you started it.

I'm now suspicious that you are yet another lakes alias/crony or some other flavor of troll.

2011BisonAlumni
11-15-2014, 10:17 PM
You should know what this thread is about since you started it.

I'm now suspicious that you are yet another lakes alias/crony or some other flavor of troll.

No, I am not lakes. I have never even met him. I agree with him on this point, to some degree.

I started this thread because I was frustrated with his play calling, like many fans. I don't think it was unreasonable of me to question him being stubborn and doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting different results.

Listening to the post game show right now on KFGO. I think it was Vraa or Wentz who said that they saw gaps in coverage and brought it up to the coaches. Kudos to these kids for being the intelligent players that they are and kudos to Polasek for listening to them, but I am a little perplexed as to why Polasek was not the one who saw some of this first and decided to switch it up.

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 10:30 PM
No, I am not lakes. I have never even met him. I agree with him on this point, to some degree.

I started this thread because I was frustrated with his play calling, like many fans. I don't think it was unreasonable of me to question him being stubborn and doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting different results.

Listening to the post game show right now on KFGO. I think it was Vraa or Wentz who said that they saw gaps in coverage and brought it up to the coaches. Kudos to these kids for being the intelligent players that they are and kudos to Polasek for listening to them, but I am a little perplexed as to why Polasek was not the one who saw some of this first and decided to switch it up.

I think I said during the week that one of the many things coach P could do was ask the more experienced players what they felt may work. It empowers them and is many times correct.

And I can tell you aren't Lakes--too much substance in your posts.

El_Chapo
11-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Those things worked out today!! Good job after slow start. Tony lighting the fire worked!! Woo hoo

Elvis was a Bison
11-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Those things worked out today!! Good job after slow start. Tony lighting the fire worked!! Woo hoo

We know, we know. "Those things worked out today." Only because you suggested it. Only because You suggested it.............:ranting:

NorthernBison
11-15-2014, 10:43 PM

He knows nothing of the game. He says he played. I'm thinking not. Maybe JV.

2011BisonAlumni
11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
He knows nothing of the game. He says he played. I'm thinking not. Maybe JV.

There is a high school in Arkansas named Kevin Kelley who never punts and kicks onside kicks after every score. I remember seeing something on it on ESPN a few years back, and that team had gone something like 124-22 in the decade that he had been coach and won 3 state titles. Just saying, he took the book and threw it out the window and has been successful with it.

I am not advocating that kind of craziness, but when we are struggling to move the ball and score and have it in a fairly decent field position, just go for it on 4th and 1. This defense has proven over and over to stand. We had a 17 yard net punt today. What does that even do for you?

Bison bison
11-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Not much, Eddie.

MAKBison
11-15-2014, 11:07 PM
There is a high school in Arkansas named Kevin Kelley who never punts and kicks onside kicks after every score. I remember seeing something on it on ESPN a few years back, and that team had gone something like 124-22 in the decade that he had been coach and won 3 state titles. Just saying, he took the book and threw it out the window and has been successful with it.

I am not advocating that kind of craziness, but when we are struggling to move the ball and score and have it in a fairly decent field position, just go for it on 4th and 1. This defense has proven over and over to stand. We had a 17 yard net punt today. What does that even do for you?

actually he took the statistics book and played the averages.

admin
11-15-2014, 11:08 PM

But you do realize that going for it on 4th down is not Tim Polasek's call, right? And that NDSU did go for it on 4th this game?

That's why I am so confused: Is it possible that two different people don't realize these things?

2011BisonAlumni
11-15-2014, 11:11 PM
But you do realize that going for it on 4th down is not Tim Polasek's call, right? And that NDSU did go for it on 4th this game?

That's why I am so confused: Is it possible that two different people don't realize these things?

Yes I realize that is Coach K's call. It was being discussed on this thread which is why I commented on it.

NorthernBison
11-15-2014, 11:18 PM

This isn't High School and you are ignoring how that coach plays EVERY set of downs as a 4 down series.

If we can't get a yard on 3rd and 1, why would it be easier on 4th down?

Look what happened today. Patience paid off. We're 34-1 over the last 35 games and people are freaking out.

Polasek and the guys in the booth are charting every play they called. I can't believe we have fans who supposedly understand the game who can't see the difference between different plays. I even saw a reference to a dive play. I don't think we've run one of them since Marty Sieh played at Dacotah Field.

bisonaudit
11-15-2014, 11:27 PM
This isn't High School and you are ignoring how that coach plays EVERY set of downs as a 4 down series.

If we can't get a yard on 3rd and 1, why would it be easier on 4th down?

Look what happened today. Patience paid off. We're 34-1 over the last 35 games and people are freaking out.

Polasek and the guys in the booth are charting every play they called. I can't believe we have fans who supposedly understand the game who can't see the difference between different plays. I even saw a reference to a dive play. I don't think we've run one of them since Marty Sieh played at Dacotah Field.

The binary decision stuff, 4th down play, FGs, punts, on side kick, is completely different from play calling. Play calling is advanced game theory, chaos, instinct and experience combined and stewed under the pressure cooker of the play clock. 4th down decisions are comparatively easy which is why it's so frustrating that so many coaches are so bad at it at every level.

CAS4127
11-15-2014, 11:33 PM
The binary decision stuff, 4th down play, FGs, punts, on side kick, is completely different from play calling. Play calling is advanced game theory, chaos, instinct and experience combined and stewed under the pressure cooker of the play clock. 4th down decisions are comparatively easy which is why it's so frustrating that so many coaches are so bad at it at every level.

Not sure what you mean by comparatively easy. My thought is they are because of relatively minimum yards needed, but more difficult because there is very little data to base play call on given very few teams go for it on 4th. IOW, not enough defensive tendency stats to accurately predict what D may present. Consequently, offense would have to "force" D into certain scheme via formation, and then hope D reacts accordingly.

bisonaudit
11-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Not sure what you mean by comparatively easy. My thought is they are because of relatively minimum yards needed, but more difficult because there is very little data to base play call on given very few teams go for it on 4th. IOW, not enough defensive tendency stats to accurately predict what D may present. Consequently, offense would have to "force" D into certain scheme via formation, and then hope D reacts accordingly.

http://eml.berkeley.edu/~dromer/papers/JPE_April06.pdf

17>1
11-15-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm curious what the great offensive minds that make up Bisonville think about todays game. Haven't read the GDT or much of this one either, but do you guys think Coach Polasek suddenly discovered there's actually a page 2 in the playbook? What are your thoughts about whether or not our offense improved this week, especially in areas we struggled with last Saturday?

I once wrote a post about match ups in the game of football. How every game is different on so many levels from the last game and to the next game, because of how you match up with an opponent. Some teams that play the Bison can do things better than other teams. Like say...play defense better, because of maybe better talent in key positions. At times, it can make what our offense relies on to be successful, very hard to accomplish. I think the overall scheme of the offense stays mostly the same every week, but they add wrinkles in based upon who they're playing. I really believe that the "improved play calling by Coach Polasek" and the "sudden improvement from our Oline, WR corp, QB play, and running game" had everything to do with who we were playing. UNI with Farley, Williams, and overall better talent across the board matched up with us far better than MSU. Also, Carson was obviously healthier this week too. But UNI did what no one had been able to do in a long time, and they got the W for it. And for those that always have an issue with a "slow start", maybe it's just a part of how our offense operates. Do things early to set things up for later? We seem to get stronger as the game goes on. I'd rather come out slow and finish strong, than come out fast and fade in the end. Also, this next thought just came to me. Anyone considered the fact that Brock Jensen and those seniors on last years offense, had been under Coach Vigen and in that offense for 5 years? You'd think by the time they were 4th or 5th year seniors that they'd be able to run it pretty effectively. We gotta be patient with Carson, Coach Polasek, our young line, and this offense. It's their first year together, and there are some new things for these kids to learn.

And we're 10-1 baby!!!!!!! Playing for a 4th straight Missouri Valley Conference Championship next Saturday at home on senior day. Let's get rowdy and get loud for our seniors.

Go Bison!!!

FFBison
11-16-2014, 12:02 AM
And we're 10-1 baby!!!!!!! Playing for a 4th straight Missouri Valley Conference Championship next Saturday at home on senior day. Let's get rowdy and get loud for our seniors.
Go Bison!!!

Godd@mn, F'n A this^^^^^^^^

NorthernBison
11-16-2014, 12:05 AM

I get that. Of course, the overriding consideration is that you don't get fired for punting.

Today was one of those days where patience was a virtue. Once things turned, it became an avalanche.

bisonaudit
11-16-2014, 12:12 AM
I get that. Of course, the overriding consideration is that you don't get fired for punting.

Today was one of those days where patience was a virtue. Once things turned, it became an avalanche.

i know one of the things I look for in a coach is someone who plays not to get fired.

someday, hopefully soon, enough of the people who decide who gets fired and who doesn't will get this.

NorthernBison
11-16-2014, 12:30 AM
i know one of the things I look for in a coach is someone who plays not to get fired.

someday, hopefully soon, enough of the people who decide who gets fired and who doesn't will get this.

You know what I meant though.

Your statistics are correct but all you have to do is look through the comments here.

Go for it on 4th and come up short followed by a defensive lapse and the board would melt down.

Just look at the comments about run the damn ball followed by throw it more.

You might be able to objectively analyze a decision after the results are known but 99.9% of fans don't have that ability.

Bison bison
11-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Did Vigen take his copy of Super Tecmo Bowl to Laramie?

I know he did a lot better after we all chipped to get it for him.

1st&TennBison
11-16-2014, 03:01 PM
You know what I meant though.

Your statistics are correct but all you have to do is look through the comments here.

Go for it on 4th and come up short followed by a defensive lapse and the board would melt down.

Just look at the comments about run the damn ball followed by throw it more.

You might be able to objectively analyze a decision after the results are known but 99.9% of fans don't have that ability.
No one is going to melt down about going for it on 4th down, not in the UNI game(at their 3) and for sure not yesterday(at their 40 and the wind in their face).
And a majority of the posters are not calling for running the ball more or passing more, they just don't want to see us running up the middle right at UNIs big NG Williams 60% of the time when it is not working.

NorthernBison
11-16-2014, 03:32 PM
No one is going to melt down about going for it on 4th down, not in the UNI game(at their 3) and for sure not yesterday(at their 40 and the wind in their face).
And a majority of the posters are not calling for running the ball more or passing more, they just don't want to see us running up the middle right at UNIs big NG Williams 60% of the time when it is not working.

I guess you don't read too well.

Fans bitch whenever something goes wrong. Even if that's exactly what they wanted to see called two posts earlier.

Shit, at EWU we punted on 4th down and pinned them at their 10 with no timeouts left and 2 minutes left leading by 7. The defense proceeded to give up a 90 yard drive and gagged on the first play of OT for another TD and the loss was blamed on the OFFENSE and a couple play calls. Don't even try to say we are rational.

El_Chapo
11-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Way too many punts on 4th and 1. IF OUR DEFENSE IS SO BAD ASS WHY ARE WE AFRAID??
this might be a Klieman call, but polasek can make it happen if he wants.

Also the jet sweeps are not existent , the TE seam needs to show up and please give me a pitch outside to Crockett aka Herschel walker!!

Ndsu84
11-16-2014, 03:44 PM

IMO. This is accurate about the majority.

SoCalBison
11-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm curious what the great offensive minds that make up Bisonville think about todays game. Haven't read the GDT or much of this one either, but do you guys think Coach Polasek suddenly discovered there's actually a page 2 in the playbook? What are your thoughts about whether or not our offense improved this week, especially in areas we struggled with last Saturday?

I once wrote a post about match ups in the game of football. How every game is different on so many levels from the last game and to the next game, because of how you match up with an opponent. Some teams that play the Bison can do things better than other teams. Like say...play defense better, because of maybe better talent in key positions. At times, it can make what our offense relies on to be successful, very hard to accomplish. I think the overall scheme of the offense stays mostly the same every week, but they add wrinkles in based upon who they're playing. I really believe that the "improved play calling by Coach Polasek" and the "sudden improvement from our Oline, WR corp, QB play, and running game" had everything to do with who we were playing. UNI with Farley, Williams, and overall better talent across the board matched up with us far better than MSU. Also, Carson was obviously healthier this week too. But UNI did what no one had been able to do in a long time, and they got the W for it. And for those that always have an issue with a "slow start", maybe it's just a part of how our offense operates. Do things early to set things up for later? We seem to get stronger as the game goes on. I'd rather come out slow and finish strong, than come out fast and fade in the end. Also, this next thought just came to me. Anyone considered the fact that Brock Jensen and those seniors on last years offense, had been under Coach Vigen and in that offense for 5 years? You'd think by the time they were 4th or 5th year seniors that they'd be able to run it pretty effectively. We gotta be patient with Carson, Coach Polasek, our young line, and this offense. It's their first year together, and there are some new things for these kids to learn.

Go Bison!!!

I'd like to know what the sideline conversation was with Wentz (and who he spoke to) before we scored the two TDs to end the first half. Something clicked at that point--it was like a completely different team took the field. More than just coaches and more than just players. So while I agree the level of the other team is a huge determinant of how well you play, there was also another factor at work yesterday. Obviously, UNI and MSU were two very different teams, at two very different places on the talent spectrum, and that can help to explain the different outcomes. At the same time, if it were only the match-up, then the Bison should have started yesterday's game strong--especially since the Bears offense was weak for the entire game. If anybody hears about the sideline conversation, I'd love to know the details.

El_Chapo
11-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Vraa talked to him saying MSU went to a 0 defense package (1 on 1) and that they should throw some up. (KFGO interviewed him right after game & he mentioned that)

1st&TennBison
11-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Fans bitch whenever something goes wrong. Even if that's exactly what they wanted to see called two posts earlier.

Shit, at EWU we punted on 4th down and pinned them at their 10 with no timeouts left and 2 minutes left leading by 7. The defense proceeded to give up a 90 yard drive and gagged on the first play of OT for another TD and the loss was blamed on the OFFENSE and a couple play calls. Don't even try to say we are rational.
A little FYI for you, I did read what you said and did so very well.
You said/indicated that fans were upset with the run to throw ratio (which by far they are not) and that they would have a melt down about going for it on certain 4th down plays (which they will not). Then you stated that only .1% of the fans here on Bisonville are able to make an educated analysis of a decision to run a play. Some fans go by gut reaction and just because they get bummed about a missed pass does not mean they are bitching about throwing the ball altogether.
No one that I ever heard thought that punting against EWU was a bad call, most blamed a bad call at the goal line by the ref but not on the play that was called or the effort that was made.
I understand your opinion and respect it, but who are you and I to say that someone else is lacking in knowledge about what was right or wrong because of the preconceived thought that they do not know what they are talking about. A person does not always need to have the football mind of John Gruden or Nick Saben to see that particular types of plays are working or not.

1st&TennBison
11-16-2014, 08:53 PM

You said/indicated that fans were upset with the run to throw ratio (which by far they are not) and that they would have a melt down about going for it on certain 4th down plays (which they will not). Then you stated that only .1% of the fans here on Bisonville are able to make an educated analysis of a decision to run a play. Some fans go by gut reaction and just because they get bummed about a missed pass does not mean they are bitching about throwing the ball altogether.
No one that I ever heard thought that punting against EWU was a bad call, most blamed a bad call at the goal line by the ref but not on the play that was called or the effort that was made.
I understand your opinion and respect it, but who are you and I to say that someone else is lacking in knowledge about what was right or wrong because of the preconceived thought that they do not know what they are talking about. A person does not always need to have the football mind of John Gruden or Nick Saben to see that particular types of plays are working or not.

NorthernBison
11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Sorry about that. I shouldn't type on my phone because I shorten things up too much. What I meant by reading was simply that every game thread is FULL of people bitching about exactly the opposite things from one play to the next. Run the Damn ball, why don't we throw it more, why are we throwing on first down, why do we keep running up the gut, why do we always run the jet sweep that hasn't worked since Ryan Smith was here? Everybody has their opinions. I simply don't see the same play all the time like some people do. I also see Crockett "reading" a lot on the handoffs so if he goes inside the tackle 3 times in a row, it might not be the play call that is the issue. For what it's worth, every fan site blames poor offensive performance on play calling. It's the easy scapegoat because it's done with 20/20 hindsight. Who can argue that something else might not have worked better when the comparison is a play that failed?

semobison
11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
To a fans perspective you have good play calls, plays that work and we get a bunch of yards. Then you have bad play calls, plays where we get little or no yards. Execution, missing a block, or god forbid an opponent making a great defensive play is never a consideration for any knowledgeable fan!

1st&TennBison
11-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Sorry about that. I shouldn't type on my phone because I shorten things up too much. What I meant by reading was simply that every game thread is FULL of people bitching about exactly the opposite things from one play to the next. Run the Damn ball, why don't we throw it more, why are we throwing on first down, why do we keep running up the gut, why do we always run the jet sweep that hasn't worked since Ryan Smith was here? Everybody has their opinions. I simply don't see the same play all the time like some people do. I also see Crockett "reading" a lot on the handoffs so if he goes inside the tackle 3 times in a row, it might not be the play call that is the issue. For what it's worth, every fan site blames poor offensive performance on play calling. It's the easy scapegoat because it's done with 20/20 hindsight. Who can argue that something else might not have worked better when the comparison is a play that failed?
That last sentence is so true, I myself fall into that trap at times. To balance it out I try to think about what play could have been called instead of the one that just went for 45 yards and a TD.

56BISON73
11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
If the team executes each play the way they should the OC looks like a genius. If not then it poor play calling for the most part.
NOW there are certain situations as in down-distance-field position and the opposing teams strengths where the play calling could come in to question.

SoCalBison
11-18-2014, 03:54 AM
All of this is true, to a point. But if you have three consecutive running plays inside the tackles that gain 1, 3, and 0 yards, it's more than tempting to think that, I don't know, "How About Trying Something Diifferent?!"

acf2
11-18-2014, 03:59 AM
All of this is true, to a point. But if you have three consecutive running plays inside the tackles that gain 1, 3, and 0 yards, it's more than tempting to think that, I don't know, "How About Trying Something Diifferent?!"

NO!! We will surprise them on the 4th try because they think we are going to try something different! /purple

VanClubPres
11-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Uconn women just had a 47 game win streak snapped.

They should fire everyone.

CyPanth
11-18-2014, 04:45 AM

Go Bison!!!

So, did NDSU make changes along the lines suggested by Lakes? Or did they just play a team different than UNI? I don't see NDSU being able to make all the changes if UNI remains the opponent. Some, but not all.

El_Chapo
11-18-2014, 04:47 AM
NO!! We will surprise them on the 4th try because they think we are going to try something different! /purple

We don't go for it on 4th darrel

El_Chapo
12-06-2014, 09:08 PM
1st down QB DRAW
2nd down crockett middle
3rd down PANIC

We got up 14-0 & quit. This hurts. Mix it up!!

HerdBot
12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
We just won a playoff game against a really good opponent. Can we just lay off of Polasek and STFU. Thank you

NorthernBison
12-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I saw no panic yesterday. Well, maybe in the stands. Not on the field.

westnodak93bison
12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
We just won a playoff game against a really good opponent. Can we just lay off of Polasek and STFU. Thank you
No. Constructive criticism comes with the territory.

Elvis was a Bison
12-07-2014, 09:43 PM
No. Constructive criticism from a knowledgeable source comes with the territory.

FIFY 10 char

bisonpride4ever
12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
That pass play they ran to Darius was sweet. Don't know if I've ever seen that play.

westnodak93bison
12-07-2014, 10:24 PM
FIFY 10 char
Doesn't constructive criticism imply from a credible source?

NDSU_grad
12-07-2014, 10:37 PM
No. Constructive criticism comes with the territory.
I would love to see constructive criticism on this board.

Elvis was a Bison
12-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Doesn't constructive criticism imply from a credible source?

Perhaps...
Who's the poster you deemed credible? I may have missed that post.:rofl::rofl:

bisonaudit
12-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I would love to see constructive criticism on this board.

they should punt less. How's that?

Ndsu84
12-07-2014, 11:40 PM
I haven't gotten to watch the game yet but did listen.

There was some great play calling yesterday. However...if I was the running back(Crockett) I would tell Polasek to take the ball and run it into a wall. Find him a hole! He's a better player than the opportunities he's seeing.

Are the tight ends getting much? Or how bout quick slants? I'd like to see our fullback blow someone up!

I'm not saying it's his fault we don't see more of these, just asking for discussion.

I don't know how I would handle the false starts. Thumb screws?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-08-2014, 12:38 AM
After re-watching the game, we didn't run power off tackle very often, and this use to be our bread and butter. It seems we are running behind the guards more, and it really isn't producing as good of results. The few times we ran off tackle it worked out pretty well. Also, no passes to the full-back in the flat and (from what I remember) no screens. It seems we are throwing the ball more than in previous years and it doesn't seem to be as productive, or at least not as consistent. O line play still seems to be an issue. However, we only have one loss and are still in the playoffs, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining too much, if at all.

Bison bison
12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
screens work better if the d is getting pressure on the cornerback.

even a dumb jack dline man would realize he's getting released on a screen - "gee, how did i finally get passed --- SCREEN!!!"

CAS4127
12-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Polasek has some learning to do. The fact we are this deep in POs with him as first year OC is a testament to the players we have.

bisonboone11
12-08-2014, 01:28 AM
screens work better if the d is getting pressure on the cornerback.

even a dumb jack dline man would realize he's getting released on a screen - "gee, how did i finally get passed --- SCREEN!!!"
Why would the d put pressure on the cornerback? Seems like they should be focusing on putting pressure on the quarterback.

BlueBisonRock
12-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Why would the d put pressure on the cornerback? Seems like they should be focusing on putting pressure on the quarterback.

Reading and understanding NDB is like reading and understanding Slick. Once you learn the dialect, it all makes sense.

BisonTeacher
12-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Reading and understanding NDB is like reading and understanding Slick. Once you learn the dialect, it all makes sense.

Ndb2 is one of the funniest people here imo.

CAS4127
12-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Ndb2 is one of the funniest people here imo.

Agree, but she is a bitch!