PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Emanuel MVFC Defensive Player of the Week!

NDSUstudent
11-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Kyle picks up another MVFC DPoW award....

Defense
DE Kyle Emanuel, North Dakota State, 6-3, 251, Sr., Schuyler (Neb.) Central
 Emanuel had a career-high 10 tackles, 4.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss in No. 1-ranked North Dakota State’s 37-17 victory over No. 18 South Dakota State. He had three sacks and eight tackles by halftime and also had a forced fumble and quarterback hurry in the game. Emanuel stopped SDSU leading rusher Zach Zenner five times totaling six yards and caught Zenner after a 34-yard gain in the NDSU secondary. His strip sack with 4 minutes left in the game gave NDSU the ball at the SDSU 23 and led to a touchdown five plays later for the final score.

http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2014-15/7613/valley-football---players-of-the-week-nov-1/

El_Chapo
11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
12.5 sacks
18.5 TFL

and he has probably 6-7 games left. Hahaha

tony
11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Did anybody focus on him all game? That was a dominating performance in a game where the officials weren't going to call a hold unless it involved a grappling hook.

Had to watch on Game Plan and the camera work wasn't all that great for it (although the production seems to have improved a lot since a couple years ago.)

A1pigskin
11-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Sweet!!! Well deserved.

DjKyRo
11-02-2014, 09:24 PM
I'll take "Least Surprising Weekly Awards Ever" for 1,000, Alex. Congrats to Emanuel on a beast of a game and season to this point.

natstar1
11-03-2014, 05:17 AM
lol...didn't have a chance to watch the game, but 4 sacks is insane. I may be talking out of my ass, but if he gets 20+ sacks he may get drafted.

SoCalBison
11-03-2014, 09:07 AM
My favorite was him running down Zenner from behind on the long gainer. The man is on a mission.

scottietohottie
11-03-2014, 11:26 AM
His friends call him Kyle Buchanan. To bad the local media isn't promoting him for this award all they can report is fans booing at the game.

unbison
11-03-2014, 11:31 AM
You mean there are weeks he doesnt get this award???

westnodak93bison
11-03-2014, 12:23 PM
My favorite was him running down Zenner from behind on the long gainer. The man is on a mission.
IMHO he could play MLB in our system at a very high level

THEsocalledfan
11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
lol...didn't have a chance to watch the game, but 4 sacks is insane. I may be talking out of my ass, but if he gets 20+ sacks he may get drafted.

I think he will for sure be signed based on what we are seeing, and running down Zenner. (That was an incredible play.) Question is, in the NFL, is he a small DE or a outside LB most likely for a 3-4 defense?

El_Chapo
11-03-2014, 02:20 PM
stand up on a 3-4 he'd be destructive.....with Cole Jirik on the other side.

bruinbison
11-03-2014, 02:35 PM
His friends call him Kyle Buchanan.
Too bad the local media isn't promoting him for this award all they can report is fans booing at the game.

Great nickname! Kolpack did a real nice job of promoting Kyle in the Sunday Forum.........:cheers:

............can somebody make a call to the Buck Buchanan Award committee that awards the best FCS defensive player and demand that he at least be a finalist?

He now has 12.5 sacks, 18 tackles for lost yardage, three forced fumbles and an uncountable number of times an opposing quarterback got deer in the headlights thinking about where Emanuel was on the field.

There are other defensive players who will put up bigger numbers, but perhaps against suspect competition. Emanuel is doing it in a league that went 23-1 in non-conference games and has a better USA Today Sagarin power rating than three FBS leagues..............

Kolpack: Emanuel's big season continues in win over SDSU

http://www.inforum.com/content/kolpack-emanuels-big-season-continues-win-over-sdsu

I'll repeat myself from the Griz game, there was no doubt who the best DE was on the field that day.
It wasn't #37 for the Griz, it was #53 for the Bison! And Montana's Wagenmann is on the Buchanan list.
Here is who is on the list so far for the award,

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_10_21_2014.htm

The Buck Buchanan Award Watch List can undergo revision during the 2014 season. Ballots will be sent to a national panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries following the regular season.

Hopefully if someone from Fargo (Kolpack & Izzo) suggests a Bison for such an award to other voters,
they will have a little "street cred" after this run NDSU has been on.
And for all the nice work they put into covering NDSU and FCS........

CAS4127
11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Emanuel was put on list several weeks ago IIRC. Also, I compare him to a Clay Mathews type of NFL player. He could play that type of position IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thundarsdaddy
11-03-2014, 02:59 PM
And how often did SDSU run to Kyles side? I dont keep track of that number but seeing him run down Zenner was amazing! Bison defense is AMAZING!

THEsocalledfan
11-03-2014, 03:17 PM
And how often did SDSU run to Kyles side? I dont keep track of that number but seeing him run down Zenner was amazing! Bison defense is AMAZING!

As great as Kyle played, I do think SDSU exposed the NDSU defense to be vulnerable to the pass. That has be a bit worried and glad UNI is horrible throwing....

Bison 4 Life
11-03-2014, 03:21 PM
As great as Kyle played, I do think SDSU exposed the NDSU defense to be vulnerable to the pass. That has be a bit worried and glad UNI is horrible throwing....

189 yds passing and 17 pts? No problem.

BisonNation11
11-03-2014, 04:28 PM

They took what we gave them which was short-intermediate crossing routes. Never gained many yards on those. And any team with a decent QB should be taking shots down field on us when we play them man to man. It only makes logical sense. I think we'll see an adjustment on crossing routes where we'll have a LB or safety ready to pop anyone that comes across the middle. Plus, to their credit, SDSU does have some really good wide receivers. For the most part I'd say we were right on top of them though. KE doesn't get 4 sacks because coverage was terrible. Plus with UNI's QB being the opposite of accurate with the ball, we may just have a crazy day of INT's *IF* we can stop Johnson.

NDSUstudent
11-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Kyle racks up even more awards...

FARGO, N.D. - North Dakota State defensive end Kyle Emanuel was selected as the Sports Network FCS co-Defensive Player of the Week and was one of five College Sporting News FCS National All-Stars announced Monday, Nov. 3.

Emanuel, a senior from Schuyler, Neb., had a career-high 10 tackles, 4.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss in No. 1-ranked North Dakota State's 37-17 home win over No. 18/19-ranked South Dakota State. He had three sacks and eight tackles by halftime and also had a forced fumble and quarterback hurry in the game.

Emanuel stopped SDSU leading rusher Zach Zenner five times totaling six yards and caught Zenner after a 34-yard gain in the NDSU secondary. His strip sack with 4 minutes left in the game gave NDSU the ball at the SDSU 23 and led to a touchdown five plays later for the final score.

The three-time Missouri Valley Football Conference Defensive Player of the Week now ranks third in the FCS with 12.5 sacks and is third in NDSU career history with 33 total sacks. It was the second time this year Emanuel has earned both national awards.

He shared the Sports Network honor with Stetson defensive back Donald Payne, who recorded a Pioneer Football League-record 27 tackles in Stetson's 28-24 win over Campbell.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/11/3/FB_1103141718.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ZHerd
11-03-2014, 11:09 PM

Yes, on a couple of their drives I couldn't help but wonder what it will look like if we play a Vernon Adams type passing game.

westnodak93bison
11-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes, on a couple of their drives I couldn't help but wonder what it will look like if we play a Vernon Adams type passing game.
Apples to oranges. EWU is pass heavy.

thebootfitter
11-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Apples to oranges. EWU is pass heavy.
If you look at stats, you will find that this is not necessarily true. They tend to be fairly well balanced in their play selection (377 pass vs 413 rush this year), but their ypa is greater on their pass plays (which is not surprising), so they do net more yards passing per game (326 yds pass vs 205 yds rush avg this year).
Source: http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/teams/easternwash

BisonNeil
11-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Kyle racks up even more awards...

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/11/3/FB_1103141718.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So when did he get downgraded to only three sacks? What did I miss?

BisonNation11
11-04-2014, 04:00 AM
If you look at stats, you will find that this is not necessarily true. They tend to be fairly well balanced in their play selection (377 pass vs 413 rush this year), but their ypa is greater on their pass plays (which is not surprising), so they do net more yards passing per game (326 yds pass vs 205 yds rush avg this year).
Source: http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/teams/easternwash
But how many of those rush yards are pass plays that Adams scrambles/runs? Not that you could ever look it up, but I just don't envision them actually calling that many run plays.

thebootfitter
11-04-2014, 07:15 AM
But how many of those rush yards are pass plays that Adams scrambles/runs? Not that you could ever look it up, but I just don't envision them actually calling that many run plays.
In the six games he played, he was credited with 63 rushing attempts. So, roughly ten per game. You're right, no way to look up the called pass plays that turn into scrambles, but something less than ten per game to be sure. (The replacement QBs have rushed fewer times per game.)

In the games that I've watched, he doesn't scramble a lot. But when he does, he's quick enough to get a few yards.

Even if ALL of Adams' rushing attempts were pass plays, that's still a pretty balanced attack. Their primary running back, Quincy Forte, ran all over the Bunnies in the playoff game I saw last year. He's pretty good and gets about 20 carries per game he plays in. They run quite a bit.

Now... Back to KE. What a stud! He's definitely fun to watch!