PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time an NDSU QB rushed for 100+?

tony
11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
When is the last time an NDSU QB rushed for 100+?

Just curious - thinking it'd be back in the D2 days.

roadwarrior
11-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Page 136 of football media guide.

Feeney in 1998 was the most recent I found quickly looking through the list.

Bison Loaf
11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Page 136 of football media guide.

Feeney in 1998 was the most recent I found quickly looking through the list.

A little surprised that Brock wouldn't have had at least one, but it must be so. Anyone know what Brock's highest rushing game was?

tony
11-02-2014, 03:34 PM
A little surprised that Brock wouldn't have had at least one, but it must be so. Anyone know what Brock's highest rushing game was?

He had 94 against Georgia Southern in the 2011 semifinal game on 6 carries (so not a bad day.)

A1pigskin
11-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Going back to '98. I would have thought like the past two years with Brock.

1998braves64
11-02-2014, 05:12 PM
He had 94 against Georgia Southern in the 2011 semifinal game on 6 carries (so not a bad day.)

66 or was it 56 came on one play.

taper
11-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Didn't he have the flu that game? Think I remember hearing he got an IV at halftime.

StL Bison Fan
11-02-2014, 07:32 PM
So one of the best in zz didn't get as many yards as the Bison QB? Sounds about right to me.

BisonNation11
11-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Yes he did. I talked to him about that game and he said he was basically running on adrenaline the whole game.

El_Chapo
11-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Why does Polasek call that QB run 5-6 times a game? Serious question.

pucknut9
11-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Believe me Carson loves to run the ball. A handful of those runs were his call yesterday.

56BISON73
11-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Didn't he have the flu that game? Think I remember hearing he got an IV at halftime.

Flu and turf toe.

unbison
11-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Cuz it works!

unbison
11-02-2014, 09:46 PM
cuz it works!

Elvis was a Bison
11-02-2014, 11:13 PM

cuz it works!

That!

(And to piss Lakes off, also!!!)

DjKyRo
11-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Because he knows it bothers people.

El_Chapo
11-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Hey Im on record saying I don't wanna see a 6 6 QB run, I wanna see him in a shotgun slinging the rock!!

56BISON73
11-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Cuz it works!

Correct. Carson has great wheels. Its one of the tools he has that can make things happen.

perthbison
11-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Hey Im on record saying I don't wanna see a 6 6 QB run, I wanna see him in a shotgun slinging the rock!!I'm kinda seeing this your way, and I'm not insinuating that I'd be better at the job than Polasek. I'd just as soon see very few designed runs for this QB. For a 6-6 guy Wentz does a decent job with his legs, has good running instincts and that stuff but I'd of thought we'd see less of this than with Jensen back there. There's usually plenty of chances for the qb to run with collapsed pockets and all receivers covered on a play and those reasons. But it's hard to argue with undefeated too.

pucknut9
11-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Correct. Carson has great wheels. Its one of the tools he has that can make things happen.

Like I said he loves to run. Loved how he destroyed that SDSU linebacker on his 5 yard TD run. Was right in front of us. Boom.

mklein5409
11-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Carson also looks like he enjoys the contact. He put his shoulder down and blew by the defender on his td run.

FFBison
11-03-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm not asking this question based on the talent of these two QBs, but more about the QB situation as a whole.

Is losing Carson Wentz a more significant loss than losing Brock Jensen would have been? Gotta say I was nervous for a period of time when Wentz got rolled up on going out of bounds. I think we all felt pretty confident that Wentz could step in replace Brock to some degree...not sure that we know that yet about Cole Davis? I don't know a lot about Cole, just what his bio indicates on gobison.com...thoughts anyone?

And I'm not saying we go away from the game plan here...gotta do what you need to do to win and can't play scared. Just have to make sure Carson plays smart.

BisonNation11
11-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Anybody ever consider Coach P is just putting out more tape for teams to watch? There's a difference between a QB that can scramble run and a QB that can beat you with his feet. Suddenly teams are accounting for him which opens up run plays and passes. Pays off cine playoff time.

Bison Loaf
11-03-2014, 12:12 AM
I have no problem with Carson running the ball. 16 carries seems a little heavy, I'll admit that, but when schemes present themselves and the team needs him to run, they're going to run him just like they did Brock. And I think we'll see more of it as the season winds down, too.

The only one "rush" that I had a problem with was actually the scramble out of bounds when he got nicked up. He was maybe trying to do a little TOO much there. Similar to when he threw the INT against Weber. Just throw the ball away, go on to the next play, and avoid an awkward tackle, potential cheap shot or turnover.

Overall, however, he's got some great wheels and surprising power that is just another big headache for opposing teams to defend.

StL Bison Fan
11-03-2014, 12:19 AM
You could see SDSU get sucked into him running. Then Crockett blasts one with the Bunnies following Carson. We quit complaining after that.

A1pigskin
11-03-2014, 12:19 AM

I think so. That was an awesome play and game. He looked like he was running for his life. I think he had a fever at half-time.

StL Bison Fan
11-03-2014, 12:21 AM
I think so. That was an awesome play and game. He looked like he was running for his life. I think he had a fever at half-time.

Watch the highlight vid for that season. He talks about being sick and not sure if he could play.
Said he couldn't breathe after that run.

A1pigskin
11-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Watch the highlight vid for that season. He talks about being sick and not sure if he could play.
Said he couldn't breathe after that run.

That's pure toughness and someone that does not like to lose. All in....

pucknut9
11-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Carson also looks like he enjoys the contact. He put his shoulder down and blew by the defender on his td run.

He didn't blow by him. He ran over him. :)

56BISON73
11-03-2014, 12:40 AM
He didn't blow by him. He ran over him. :)

I thought he ran over two defenders?

pucknut9
11-03-2014, 12:47 AM
I thought he ran over two defenders?

Nope. Just the one linebacker.

CAS4127
11-03-2014, 12:53 AM
He certainly demonstrated yesterday that he is a running threat that defenses have to scheme for. Just one more thing among others. I liked and enjoyed it. Plus, he plays hard, and injuries a lot of times come when ball carriers aren't confident or don't like contact. I don't see either as a problem with Wentz! You have to win the game with your players, and Carson's tude is, "Let's play"! I like that a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pucknut9
11-03-2014, 12:57 AM
He certainly demonstrated yesterday that he is a running threat that defenses have to scheme for. Just one more thing among others. I liked and enjoyed it. Plus, he plays hard, and injuries a lot of times come when ball carriers aren't confident or don't like contact. I don't see either as a problem with Wentz! You have to win the game with your players, and Carson's tude is, "Let's play"! I like that a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Like I have said earlier this summer he hates to lose board games or card games when we have family gatherings. Doesn't matter what it is losing isn't an option.

CAS4127
11-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Like I said he loves to run. Loved how he destroyed that SDSU linebacker on his 5 yard TD run. Was right in front of us. Boom.

And that is becoming very evident and is fun to see.

But, that attitude, IMO, gets in his way a bit. I would like to see him let things happen in front of him a bit more. Not saying he is over-aggressive (because that is never bad), but he presses a bit when, with his talent, he could let defenders (over) commit and avoid some contact. Brock was very good that way--I think the game was a bit slower for Brock, but he did have more game experience at this level his last couple years. Hope you understand what I am saying. Not criticizing, cuz I will take what he is giving us.

pucknut9
11-03-2014, 01:09 AM
And that is becoming very evident and is fun to see.

But, that attitude, IMO, gets in his way a bit. I would like to see him let things happen in front of him a bit more. Not saying he is over-aggressive (because that is never bad), but he presses a bit when, with his talent, he could let defenders (over) commit and avoid some contact. Brock was very good that way--I think the game was a bit slower for Brock, but he did have more game experience at this level his last couple years. Hope you understand what I am saying. Not criticizing, cuz I will take what he is giving us.

No I hear where you are coming from. Don't worry about any criticism. That first half I heard crap about him that some was warranted and some was like WTF. When you are the QB you take the good with the bad. With that said he has been a hell of a lot better than bad.

CAS4127
11-03-2014, 01:15 AM
No I hear where you are coming from. Don't worry about any criticism. That first half I heard crap about him that some was warranted and some was like WTF. When you are the QB you take the good with the bad. With that said he has been a hell of a lot better than bad.

@Last sentence: Ya think. He would start almost anywhere IMO. Special player and we are lucky to have him. Next year may be even better with MORE Oline experience.

El_Chapo
11-03-2014, 01:17 AM
ok I didn't know it was 16 carries, that's ridiculous im sorry!

pucknut9
11-03-2014, 02:14 AM
ok I didn't know it was 16 carries, that's ridiculous im sorry!

I'm sure 16 isn't a number they want to see again but it was Saturday, the team won 37-17 and they move onto UNI.

devin45k
11-03-2014, 03:57 AM
I am very surprised that it wasn't Brock Jensen

I was also very surprised that Wentz ran for a 100 yards

HotShot
11-03-2014, 01:32 PM
I am very surprised that it wasn't Brock Jensen

I was also very surprised that Wentz ran for a 100 yards

With his athletic ability, size, and speed no one should be surprised he is capable of 100 yard rushing game. He wanted that game.

tony
11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
If somebody had told a Bison fan back in 1998 that NDSU wouldn't have a QB rush for 100 yards until 2014, the Bison fan would have laughed until they passed out.

To me, we're lucky to have a QB who can run with that kind of speed and power when we're coming up against a team (UNI) which leads the league with 50% more sacks than NDSU and almost three times as many interceptions (conference games only.) I couldn't tell from the TV view, but I'm guessing that Carson ran a lot because there was nobody open. Yeah, Carson took two big hits last week but both of them were out of bounds... so he needs to get out of bounds a half step more quickly so either the defender backs off or gets flagged.

MankatoBison
11-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Anybody ever consider Coach P is just putting out more tape for teams to watch? There's a difference between a QB that can scramble run and a QB that can beat you with his feet. Suddenly teams are accounting for him which opens up run plays and passes. Pays off cine playoff time.

Good point my friend. I didn't like seeing so many designed runs with a guy as important as carson, but you bring up a very valid point.

Herd12
11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
One of the things that can't be discounted is the respect that has to be paid to the QB run. If an increasing percentage of our rushing attempts are going to be read option principles out of the shotgun and not running "power" principles out of the I formation defenses have to believe that Carson is willing to keep the ball. When we get to the point where the defensive end is staying with Carson he will start handing off the ball to Crockett. What happens then is there are fewer run defenders than there are run blockers. That's when you get those long off tackle John Crockett runs.

The point of the play is not always that play. Sometimes it's to set up a play later on in that series and even later on in the game. Don't be surprised to see a read option PA fake where Carson not only keeps but stays behind the LOS and throws. It's a nice wrinkle.

BisonNation11
11-03-2014, 05:20 PM
The point of the play is not always that play. Sometimes it's to set up a play later on in that series and even later on in the game. Don't be surprised to see a read option PA fake where Carson not only keeps but stays behind the LOS and throws. It's a nice wrinkle.

I thought they did this down by the goal line on the play where Wentz ran up to the line like he was running, pulled up, and zipped a bullet past Bonnett's head. LB came up to stop Wentz, and Thor (that's what I call ol' #46) was absolutely wide open. Reminded me of the Crockett pass to Vaad in the championship game.

Herd12
11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I thought they did this down by the goal line on the play where Wentz ran up to the line like he was running, pulled up, and zipped a bullet past Bonnett's head. LB came up to stop Wentz, and Thor (that's what I call ol' #46) was absolutely wide open. Reminded me of the Crockett pass to Vaad in the championship game.

That's probably exactly what that was. That doesn't only have to be done in a goal line situation, though.