PDA

View Full Version : Bison Will Go 10-1.....The Tradition is Back

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 01:29 AM
As I wrote earlier...they will go 10-1.

The Ball State announcers said that our front 7 is better than Purdue and Indiana.

Would anyone like to write it down now?

We have a great football team. *

This is Bison football. *This is the tradition....renewed in a new style. *It happens every decade or so. *Write that down also.

TheBisonator
09-24-2006, 01:32 AM
We will go 9-2 at the worst case scenario if we continue to play the way we're playing. Only losses I could see would be maybe, MAYBE, Cal-Poly and probably the Gophers.

But now I think we have at least a 20 percent shot at beating the Gophers.

You're right. I see 10-1 moderate scenario with the way we're playing.

somebison
09-24-2006, 01:34 AM
one game at a time boys with 5 road games remaining their are still plenty of tough games on our schedule

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 01:36 AM
one game at a time boys with 5 road games remaining their are still plenty of tough games on our schedule

Yes...absolutely...the Bison will win one game at a time...to a 10-1 record.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 01:37 AM

I wouldn't want it any other way. It's way too much fun to watch SU with a quality football team again.

kchats
09-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Couple of injuries sustained tonight as well. I believe the starting center, Zach Harrington, was lost in the second half to injury and Tyler Jangula was injured on his touchdown and watched the win on crutches. One game at a time boys. Great win though.

Frozenbaugh
09-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Congrats from a Ball State fan. Your team came in an kicked our butts. Have a good party tonight!

bisonnole7
As much as I would love a record of 10 and 1, its not going to happen. Let's be realistic, a 8-4 record is a great season.

CaBisonFan
Couple of injuries sustained tonight as well. *I believe the starting center, Zach Harrington, was lost in the second half to injury and Tyler Jangula was injured on his touchdown and watched the win on crutches. *One game at a time boys. *Great win though.

Tough injuries...no doubt. If they're out...we'll miss them badly.

10-1

semobison
09-24-2006, 01:43 AM
This was a big win! I was thinking midway thru the 4th quarter how bad I was going to feel if we couldnt pull it out. We beat the hell out of them at the line of scrimmage all game . Big plays kept them in the game. We are 3-0! Lets enjoy this one. Tomorrow we can start thinking about SFA. UCD got beat down there last year. The same year they beat Stanford. Like Hansel says One at a time boys!

BisonSig
09-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Congrats from a Ball State fan. Your team came in an kicked our butts. Have a good party tonight!

Thank you. Your QB's look awesome and boy did you guys make some big offensive plays. I wish you well with the rest of your year.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 01:45 AM
As much as I would love a record of 10 and 1, its not going to happen. *Let's be realistic, a 8-4 record is a great season.

Not

The Bison tradition doesn't work that way. There's real leadership and attitude on the field again. Realism only works when a program is "content" with mediocrity. That's not the tradition. It's back.

If we go 8-4, I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong.

But being realistic isn't really all that much fun. As a long-time Bison fan (Mudra days), I had an extremely nostalgic feeling this afternoon while our defense hounded the crap out of Ball State.

It's deja vu all over again.

We're back.

somebison
09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
If we go 8-4 I will spend winter in Fargo outside naked ;)

kchats
09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
UC-Davis got beat by Youngstown State tonight 38-24. Jon Grant threw a bunch of interceptions.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Congrats from a Ball State fan. *Your team came in an kicked our butts. *Have a good party tonight!

Here's something that I observed and heard. I heard respectful announcers that had "class." I saw a very talented football team that is molded to play in a strong passing conference. I was surprised that we could match up in any way, shape, or form. We've been waiting for our football tradition to come back. The move up to DI-AA has been very, very difficult. The ncaa makes it a grueling experience...and besides...they took away what was once a strong DII by watering down the scholarship levels. Good luck in the conference. I can cheer for a program like yours. Thanks for the respect.

tony
09-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Congrats from a Ball State fan. *Your team came in an kicked our butts. *Have a good party tonight!

It's probably cold comfort, but I think Ball State has a heck of a team. That makes the win all the more sweeter. They stuffed the run and the receivers are obviously something else.

kchats
09-24-2006, 01:57 AM
I was very impressed with the Ball State announcers as well. They seemed to know the game very well and showed NDSU nothing but great respect. They also brought up Ball State's losses to division I-AA teams in past seasons. Ball State's team also played hard and clean. Very exciting and entertaining game that the Bison were fortunate to win with great plays in all phases of the game. Steve Walker has made plays when needed since he started playing. The Bison wide receivers had a great game as well.

Ball State's QB's were impressive as were the wide receivers.

broke_back_mnt
09-24-2006, 02:02 AM

I wish I could have seen it. There must have been a lot of speed on the BSU defense. Thanks for the great game. We were evenly matched in every phase and it showed. Both teams played to the end. The last 90 seconds were more like an hour! All I could think of was the 80 yarder you got earlier. Quick strikes and big plays make Ball State a very exciting and dangerous team to play!

Larz
09-24-2006, 02:45 AM
I hope we can sustain, while losing players.........

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 02:47 AM
This is true. these injuries may hurt us more than we think in the long run. But that's the advantage of being I-AA as opposed to D-II. We have more depth than we would have four years ago, plain and simple.

99Bison
09-24-2006, 02:48 AM
As much as I would love a record of 10 and 1, its not going to happen. Let's be realistic, a 8-4 record is a great season.

Not

The Bison tradition doesn't work that way. There's real leadership and attitude on the field again. Realism only works when a program is "content" with mediocrity. That's not the tradition. It's back.

But being realistic isn't really all that much fun. As a long-time Bison fan (Mudra days), I had an extremely nostalgic feeling this afternoon while our defense hounded the crap out of Ball State.

We're back.

Ca keep it up, don't let anyone bring us down! You obviously understand tradition and how it is represented!

Feels good to have someone explain how I feel about tradition (I am way younger than you though :-).

BisonBacker
09-24-2006, 02:50 AM
As much as I would love a record of 10 and 1, its not going to happen. *Let's be realistic, a 8-4 record is a great season.
As much as I hope it will happen 10-1 is pretty optimistic. I can see us with a 9-3 however, I think 8-4 is selling us a little short. Unless we have some more injuries at key positions (hope not) I think this team is better then 8-4 they proved that tonight.

TheDoctor
09-24-2006, 02:50 AM
++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

somebison
09-24-2006, 02:52 AM
you guys realize we are playing 11 games right?

so 8-4 or 9-3 would be pretty difficult to get to

Many also thought we were going to win the DII title after beating Montana.... one game at a time.......

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Hey, one Bison player that had a great game that might get lost in the shuffle is Drago. What a freaking weapon. averaged 50+ yards per punt, and had two or three within the 20. Many other players worth noting but this guy probably won't get much juice from the media.

BisonBacker
09-24-2006, 02:56 AM
you guys realize we are playing 11 games right?

so 8-4 or 9-3 would be pretty difficult to get to

Many also thought we were going to win the DII title after beating Montana.... one game at a time.......

I agree one game at a time but other then the Minnesota game and a loss to one of the two cali schools I'm still leaving room for one more loss which is obviously very possible but its just as possible we only lose 2 games, I think a season with only one or two losses is very attainable. Much depends on health of the players and other variables that are out of our control, but everything else being equal I don't see why a one or two loss season is out of reach.

Bisonguy
09-24-2006, 02:57 AM
Hey, one Bison player that had a great game that might get lost in the shuffle is Drago. *What a freaking weapon. *averaged 50+ yards per punt, and had two or three within the 20. *Many other players worth noting but this guy probably won't get much juice from the media.

Maybe we could start a Drago fan club if there isn't one, already?

There's a reason why he's getting interest from NFL scouts as a junior.

Yeah, Drago was definitley a force tonight (the BSU punter was pretty darn good, as well).

TheDoctor
09-24-2006, 03:06 AM
DRAG for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)

Mr_Meanor
09-24-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey, one Bison player that had a great game that might get lost in the shuffle is Drago. *What a freaking weapon. *averaged 50+ yards per punt, and had two or three within the 20. *Many other players worth noting but this guy probably won't get much juice from the media.

I bet coach Bohl points that out tomorrow on the coaches show

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
I'll dedicate post #1000 to thank Dr Chapman and Gene Taylor for their dedication vision and leadership, without which none of this happens.

To borrow a phrase, proud to be a BISON

TheDoctor
09-24-2006, 03:13 AM
I can't wait until the show tomorrow night!

TheDoctor
09-24-2006, 03:14 AM
I'll dedicate post #1000 to thank Dr Chapman and Gene Taylor for their dedication vision and leadership, without which none of this happens. *

To borrow a phrase, proud to be a BISON

++++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

Mr._Bill
09-24-2006, 03:19 AM
While we the fans are talking 10-1, I hope the team is talking 1 at a time. Celebrate Ball St., but it better be on to SFA by Tuesday. Look what happened to MT St. after a big 1A win.

SDbison
09-24-2006, 03:21 AM
I think we need to emphasize the TEAM effort tonight. *The O-line, the D-line, the LB's, the receivers, Walker, Drago. *Another key performer was the Freshman kicker Bibeau. *He made some key field goals and did OK against the wind. *How about Jangula's TD where he got injured. *The late long pass recption where Roehl got a lot of yards and it took a couple Ball State guys to pull him down. *The TEAM showed up tonight. *A TEAM will not give up even when down, when the other team scores quickly, when there are injuries, etc. *This was a TEAM victory. *That is why I am very optimistic about this Bison TEAM. *

Bison13
09-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Bohl and players learned there lesson in 03 when we beat Montana and then lost the following week to St. Cloud State. I cant see the coaching staff letting that happen again, we will be ready!

Bisonguy
09-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Bohl and players learned there lesson in 03 when we beat Montana and then lost the following week to St. Cloud State. I cant see the coaching staff letting that happen again, we will be ready!

It was UC-Davis after the Montana game. SCSU was the second to last game of the season (last road game) in 2003.

Bison13
09-24-2006, 06:35 AM
oh yea, oops. I guess I still have a bad taste from that loss in St. Cloud....yikes

broke_back_mnt
09-24-2006, 06:42 AM
I think after that Concordia St Paul came in to the FFD. We won of course, but there was no getting over the SCSU loss. I was there.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 08:10 AM

It's probably cold comfort, but I think Ball State has a heck of a team. That makes the win all the more sweeter. They stuffed the run and the receivers are obviously something else.

I agree. *I was surprised how our defensive line and linebackers had them for lunch...raw. *I couldn't believe how dominant we were in the pits on both sides of the ball. *Their receivers were amazing. *Other than the big pass plays...we were able to check their speed and quickness, which I was really impressed with. *It's a good sign...and probably a step forward in terms of the caliber of athlete that we have recruited in the past couple of years.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2006, 08:21 AM

Not

The Bison tradition doesn't work that way. *There's real leadership and attitude on the field again. *Realism only works when a program is "content" with mediocrity. *That's not the tradition. *It's back. *

But being realistic isn't really all that much fun. *As a long-time Bison fan (Mudra days), I had an extremely nostalgic feeling this afternoon while our defense hounded the crap out of Ball State. *

It's deja vu all over again. *

We're back.

Ca keep it up, don't let anyone bring us down! You obviously understand tradition and how it is represented!

Feels good to have someone explain how I feel about tradition (I am way younger than you though :-).

Thanks. *I'm in my early 50s. *My memories of the early Bison teams of the 60s are a little fuzzy. *I remember the incredible breakthrough of the Mudra teams...followed by Ron Erhardt...who might be the best coach that SU has ever had. *He was brilliant. *If you haven't read up on that era...I recommend it highly. *There was the 1965 National Championship team that really broke the ice. *A win over Grambling and some truly amazing things happened in that era. *Erhardt left for the NFL and things sagged some in the 70s, but they didn't lose their swagger. *Jim Wacker came in and pumped new life into the program, and Don Morton took over to coach the that incredible team with Bentrim, Stark, Molstre, Hansen, Braxton, and a ton of other great players...too many to mention. *They missed 4 straight national championships on a 50-something field goal to Troy State (Troy) with literally half a second left...some say that it was too late...but oh well. *Many of those guys won 3 national championships and took 2nd once. *Then they retooled with what I call the Simdorn/Satter teams. *They were great too. *Then we sagged after the '91 championship. *Thanks to some bold leaders at SU we seem to be relocating the swagger. *I saw it tonight vs. Ball State. *They had "the look." *It's an intangible. *Something I haven't seen since 1991. You're a young fan of one of the hidden secrets in all of college football. *When Bison football is at its best...games like this are expected. *By the 2nd quarter of tonight's game, I told my wife that this team is going to win. *They had "the look." *What's really great is to see Bison scores on the sports channels scrolling across...unlike in the past. *It's about time that NDSU enters the national stage. *Time to show the country that the state of North Dakota exists...and that North Dakotans are winners...in many ways. *It's symbolic of what I think of as a great state that gets little to no credit. *It's true that UND has done great things in hockey...but 99 percent of the country barely knows what hockey is...nor do they care. *Football is the perfect stage. **

GFBisonFan
09-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Excellent post CA, you made my chest swell with pride. I agree that the swagger is coming back. Too many times have we been in this type of game to let it fall to the wayside. Our program is getting the feeling back from the late 80s. As fans, we are more confident. I think that as fans we can look forward to a 10-1 record if that is what we think. Now, the teams has to (and hopefully realizes that they need to) take it one game at a time. We have to brutal of a schedule to look forward on any game. Especially with injuries.

BUT, as always, great to be a BISON!

Stubby
09-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I was proud of the fans that attended the game. *They screamed, they yelled, they stood on command as the Bison players pumped their arms up and down asking our 200+ fans for a little energy to lift them. *A Ball State fan came up after the game and complimented our crowd and our sportsmanship! *I am always proud to be a Bison but yesterday was history in the making. *I was at the "Miracle in Montana" and now the "Miracle in Muncie" *It couldn't be sweeter!!

SDbison
09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Nice post CABisonFan. I think what both CarringtonBison and Stubby are also saying is Bison pride is back. Since the early nineties the confidence diminished and the expectations too. Even though the teams were very good that extra push and gut feeling to come out on top was not there. Maybe some of it was team attitude. Seems like an 8-3 season was accepted as a good effort. The fans and media seemed to buy into mediocraty too. I know it is bad to be a complete homer, but around here there are so many that think 8-3 is the ultimate season record. There is talent and swagger on this team. It is time for some 10-1, 9-2, and even 11-0 seasons.

sambini
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Great day in Bison football history. One game at a time.

bisonmike
09-24-2006, 02:34 PM

I already know that the Craig Bohl Football Show tonight is getting a 'save until I delete' status on the tivo.

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 02:39 PM

I already know that the Craig Bohl Football Show tonight is getting a 'save until I delete' status on the tivo.
+ freaking +

99Bison
09-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Not

We're back.

Thanks. I'm in my early 50s. My memories of the early Bison teams of the 60s are a little fuzzy. I remember the incredible breakthrough of the Mudra teams...followed by Ron Erhardt...who might be the best coach that SU has ever had. He was brilliant. If you haven't read up on that era...I recommend it highly. There was the 1965 National Championship team that really broke the ice. A win over Grambling and some truly amazing things happened in that era. Erhardt left for the NFL and things sagged some in the 70s, but they didn't lose their swagger. Jim Wacker came in and pumped new life into the program, and Don Morton took over to coach the that incredible team with Bentrim, Stark, Molstre, Hansen, Braxton, and a ton of other great players...too many to mention. They missed 4 straight national championships on a 50-something field goal to Troy State (Troy) with literally half a second left...some say that it was too late...but oh well. Many of those guys won 3 national championships and took 2nd once. Then they retooled with what I call the Simdorn/Satter teams. They were great too. Then we sagged after the '91 championship. Thanks to some bold leaders at SU we seem to be relocating the swagger. I saw it tonight vs. Ball State. They had "the look." It's an intangible. Something I haven't seen since 1991. You're a young fan of one of the hidden secrets in all of college football. When Bison football is at its best...games like this are expected. By the 2nd quarter of tonight's game, I told my wife that this team is going to win. They had "the look." What's really great is to see Bison scores on the sports channels scrolling across...unlike in the past. It's about time that NDSU enters the national stage. Time to show the country that the state of North Dakota exists...and that North Dakotans are winners...in many ways. It's symbolic of what I think of as a great state that gets little to no credit. It's true that UND has done great things in hockey...but 99 percent of the country barely knows what hockey is...nor do they care. Football is the perfect stage.

I grew up in the fm area going to games with my Dad since I was born in the mid 70's. Then of course went on to become an alumni. The history I am quite familiar with, starting with my Dad telling me about the 60's and 70's and then witnessing the 80's and since. I have done some research out of interest and listened to many stories from the past, it's great stuff!

BTW, I will be out in CA for the UC Davis game if you are planning on going up for it :-)

kchats
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
I am a bit disappointed in the national media coverage of the win. I have yet to see highlights on ESPN and there isn't a big story on the front page of ESPN, CNNSI or CBS Sportsline. I guess the thing this shows me is the national media doesn't consider it an upset and considered the game a toss up or NDSU slightly favored. The Bison dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and Steve Walker played brilliantly. Walker is only a junior so he will continue to get better and he is pretty good right now.

Mr_Meanor
09-24-2006, 05:05 PM
No, this was a big upset and a great win. The reason you don't see it in the media is because Ball State is a bad DI A team and nobody cares about Ball State. When was the last time you saw Ball State highligts on espn? People just don't care about them. The only press you ever see in national media on college football are the top 25 teams.

RodentiaX1
09-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Upsets of I-A teams by I-AA teams have gotten more commonplace. It used to be that when a I-A team lost fo a I-AA team it was more like a "man bites dog" story. If this was the first game of the year that a I-AA team beat a I-A team, it would have gotten more coverage.

GoBears
09-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Upsets of I-A teams by I-AA teams have gotten more commonplace. It used to be that when a I-A team lost fo a I-AA team it was more like a "man bites dog" story. If this was the first game of the year that a I-AA team beat a I-A team, it would have gotten more coverage.

I agree. With the all the 1AA teams beating the lower 1A teams, it won't get the national exposure. Now if you beat Minnesota, that will get you big time press. Ball State probably wouldn't do that well against any top 15 teams in 1AA. Not to take anything away from your victory, it was good nice to see.

Mr._Bill
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I didn't expect the win to be a significant national media story, but I thought that Walkers 450+ yard performance might get some play. Also, the hail mary at the end of the half would have been cool to see on sports center.

It's really kind of disappointing that ESPN's wrap up shows late Saturday don't cover much outside the top 25. You would think that they would do a rundown of each 1A conf, nope, just top 25 and 2 hours on ND/MI St..

CSTV is also most top 25 focused, except for their specific TV games. Kind of disappointing when you win a 1A game and don't see much. Lots of play on MAC fan forums however.

SDbison
09-24-2006, 07:06 PM
The Ball State - NDSU game was not televised by any of the sports channels therefore there was no easy (or quality) feed for the video. *That is my guess why there were no highlights on the sports shows. *Without video ESPN will overlook the story. *Too bad. *Just need to knock off the Gophers and then get more coverage. *

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Both Fox 15 and (duh) WDAY found a way to get some nice highlights, so obviously they were available. Neither channels 4 nor 11 bothered to show more than the score and a brief mention, while they showed lengthy highlights of the game attended by nine thousand somethnig people in teh tin shed.

We should support the channels that report the Bison. The other two can pander to teh university--I'm done with them.

roadwarrior
09-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Both Fox 15 and (duh) WDAY found a way to get some nice highlights, so obviously they were available.

I know that WDAY had a camera at the Ball State game, and quite possibly the Fox station did also?

imabison
09-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Both Fox 15 and (duh) WDAY found a way to get some nice highlights, so obviously they were available.

I know that WDAY had a camera at the Ball State game, and quite possibly the Fox station did also?

I think we can safely say that some of the FOX clips came from the cameraman shooting video at the
Side Street. He was shooting the big screen during the big play.