PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ferge up for the College Football of Fame

tony
10-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Jim Ferge was a LB/Tackle from Schofield, WI. He was the first two-time, first-team All-American at NDSU. Also named MVP of the NCC and most valuable lineman on the national championship team.

westnodak93bison
10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
LB/Tackle? That's an odd combo. Tell us more.

tony
10-23-2014, 06:08 PM
LB/Tackle? That's an odd combo. Tell us more.

Unfortunately, I know very little about this era of Bison football beyond what is in Ed Kolpack's book.

Based on Ed's book: Ferge weighed 235 and NDSU played him at tackle and linebacker - they positioned him to go directly at the offense's strength.

235 was light even back then for a DL, but NDSU had a tradition of strong, quick, and light interior DL that continued well into the '80s. I remember in that 1986 National Championship - NDSU has a guy around 215 lbs (Nielson) who consistently made the 300 lb All-American in front of him look like foolish.

Hope he makes it. NDSU's recent notoriety might help his bid.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Unfortunately, I know very little about this era of Bison football beyond what is in Ed Kolpack's book.

Based on Ed's book: Ferge weighed 235 and NDSU played him at tackle and linebacker - they positioned him to go directly at the offense's strength.

235 was light even back then for a DL, but NDSU had a tradition of strong, quick, and light interior DL that continued well into the '80s. I remember in that 1986 National Championship - NDSU has a guy around 215 lbs (Nielson) who consistently made the 300 lb All-American in front of him look like foolish.

Hope he makes it. NDSU's recent notoriety might help his bid.

What has NDSU done lately that is bad? Some better words would be celebrity or accolades.

At any rate, this story really doesn't matter because Ferge wasn't good enough to make Lakes' best player ever list.

DORMIE
10-24-2014, 02:08 AM
You all hear the talk that a guy is a beast. Jim Ferge was a fricking BEAST. STUD!!!

westnodak93bison
10-24-2014, 03:59 AM
What years did he play? Would be fun to watch video from the 60's.

tony
10-24-2014, 01:01 PM
What has NDSU done lately that is bad? Some better words would be celebrity or accolades.

At any rate, this story really doesn't matter because Ferge wasn't good enough to make Lakes' best player ever list.

Oops. "Notoriety" is not the word I should have used. Sorry. You'd think I'd have the hang of the language by now.

HerdBot
10-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Tough to find much info on players from that era. Way before my time. 2 time all american. Played for the Baltimore Colts. Can't find much more

tony
06-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Jim Ferge is on the ballot again this year... too bad there's not a script for that.

HerdBot
06-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Jim Ferge is on the ballot again this year... too bad there's not a script for that.

Lets hope 2 times is a charm

VirginiaBison
06-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Here are a few pages from my 1968 year book. Jim Ferge is #50... in the team photo he is second row, middle - sort of the focus of the picture.

I have a fuzzy memory that Ferge kicked a field goal (1967?) to beat _ND in GF. Might not have been him, 45 years ago makes the picture dim. Whoever it was, Sports Illustrated wrote an article about the game and described the kick as "the lowest, slowest field goal" the writer had ever seen.

Back in them days, the freshmen had their own team... the Baby Bison. One of the players in the Baby Bison team photo is a guy "T. Wentz"... (3d row, 5th player-directly behind #52) ... any relation to the current Carson I wonder?

DORMIE
06-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Field goal was kicked by Dick Blazie. Bison win 18-15.