PDA

View Full Version : Contributions of the Depth Chart - Who Is Stepping Up?

CaBisonFan
10-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Any comments on individual players who are beginning to contribute to games during primetime?

I noticed Greg Menard with a sack against SIU...and one other good play.

Who's stepping up...and perhaps specifically, what defensive players are showing signs that they can be counted on next year or in the case of an injury?

17>1
10-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Nice to see Bo Liekhus (sp?) step up into an exceptional special teams player. He seems to make a lot of tackles on kick coverage, like Mr. Shepherd from last year.

X-Factor
10-17-2014, 02:13 AM
I am really excited to see DeLuca next year, as well as the two big TE that are redshirting that we don't know a lot about. I hope DeLuca gets some good playing time this year, particularly if we get some more blowouts. Travis and CLJ have just been doing so well it is hard to take them off the field. DeLuca is the closest thing we have had to another Joe Mays since the man himself.

RJ has definitely demonstrated he has stepped up. Very likely to be our top WR next year. Nate Tanguay has also been a pleasant surprise. More of the DTs need to step up. Also waiting to see PGT get some solid playing time. Although we havn't seen him play, I think you could say that Stick has stepped up, too.

westnodak93bison
10-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Tre Dempsey looks really good. He has played in nickel situations and I think special teams.

BisoninNWMN
10-17-2014, 02:41 AM
Jeremy Kelly has been a nice addition on the OL.

ndsubison1
10-17-2014, 03:27 AM
I am really excited to see DeLuca next year, as well as the two big TE that are redshirting that we don't know a lot about. I hope DeLuca gets some good playing time this year, particularly if we get some more blowouts. Travis and CLJ have just been doing so well it is hard to take them off the field. DeLuca is the closest thing we have had to another Joe Mays since the man himself.

RJ has definitely demonstrated he has stepped up. Very likely to be our top WR next year. Nate Tanguay has also been a pleasant surprise. More of the DTs need to step up. Also waiting to see PGT get some solid playing time. Although we havn't seen him play, I think you could say that Stick has stepped up, too.

I noticed Board got some limited reps. Would be nice for backups there to get some more.

Herd890
10-17-2014, 03:28 AM
The guy that has stepped up more than anyone else this season IMO is Jordan Champion. Has had great coverage and has had huge plays in run support. Guy hits like a safety and can't remember him being beat all season.

HerdBoy
10-17-2014, 03:45 AM
Brad Ambrosius filling in for Mike Hardie while he was out. Alex Hahn and Greg Menard. King Frazier looking very good. RJ.

Ndsu84
10-17-2014, 03:46 AM
The guy that has stepped up more than anyone else this season IMO is Jordan Champion. Has had great coverage and has had huge plays in run support. Guy hits like a safety and can't remember him being beat all season.

+1 this^^^^

westnodak93bison
10-17-2014, 03:46 AM
Tom Barneson on a few kickoffs has done well.

El_Chapo
10-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Future so bright. We got lots of talent not even on the field yet folks,

ZHerd
10-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Agreed, VERY bright future for this team. We lose excellent safeties and LB next year, and I expect some possible hiccups there, but not much honestly. Ive watched guys like Olson and Heagle come in as immediate impact guys when their time came. Thing is, we should be better next year in the trenches and we are already really good. The biggest loss will be Kyle but we have some good young ends getting experience and I think Menard will have a KE type career here. The DT will be a year more experienced and stronger and we will start seeing more sacks and big plays from the inside push. Almost all of the O-line return and they will be awesome and even bigger with Johnson coming back plus we will have a talented experienced senior qb. Experienced starting CB will ease transition in the secondary. Throw in some wild cards such as Marcus Collins or Bridges and Grimsley keeping their commitments to NDSU and the ceiling should be really high for this team next year. Lots of great looking young talent.

westnodak93bison
10-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Agreed, VERY bright future for this team. We lose excellent safeties and LB next year, and I expect some possible hiccups there, but not much honestly. Ive watched guys like Olson and Heagle come in as immediate impact guys when their time came. Thing is, we should be better next year in the trenches and we are already really good. The biggest loss will be Kyle but we have some good young ends getting experience and I think Menard will have a KE type career here. The DT will be a year more experienced and stronger and we will start seeing more sacks and big plays from the inside push. Almost all of the O-line return and they will be awesome and even bigger with Johnson coming back plus we will have a talented experienced senior qb. Experienced starting CB will ease transition in the secondary. Throw in some wild cards such as Marcus Collins or Bridges and Grimsley keeping their commitments to NDSU and the ceiling should be really high for this team next year. Lots of great looking young talent.
Are you talking 5 Peat?

StL Bison Fan
10-17-2014, 04:28 AM
Are you talking 5 Peat?

Just win the next play.

ZHerd
10-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Are you talking 5 Peat?

I'm saying that we should be extremely good at the "next play" next year ;)

SamsRams
10-17-2014, 05:07 AM
They are rotating Rams.......has that ever been done before? Kuhnert, Schueller, Plankers and Lechler. And all the subbing they are doing they cant find a reason to get Kelly out of the game to take a break. Those are 4 Rams who are not seniors and throw in Haeg and that line will be solid next year. Just gotta find the new center.

Champion and Dempsey have been really solid and both deserve to be on the all new comer team at this point. Man I cant wait to unleash Chris Board on the MVFC. Other fans are going to be "wow am I happy not to see Heagle out there anymore." then Board will light someone up and realize he is only a sophomore.

Tanguay is a beast and the ability to rotate a true SO a Redshirt FR and a True FR at the DE end spot with Hardie out, shows the talent level that has been recruited and the coaching these guys are getting from Cain and Goeser.

RJ URZENDOWSKI..............ARE YOU KIDDING ME...........THIS GUY DOES NOT DROP THE BALL............EVER! He is going to go down as one of the best ever at NDSU for a WR.

Frazier and Morlock with Dunn and Ware as RB's next year. Not even a little concern over that!

Albers and Illies are different TE's but both have been solid. Wanna see more from Connor Wentz the next few weeks.

Jedre Cyr deserves all kinds of accolades and happy to hear is was bumped from walkon to full tuition. This guy is pure Bison from the way he plays on the field to how he acts off the field.

And all the drama of losing so many seniors and so many coaches and trying to cleanup the recruiting class and waht do we know? they lose 2 DT's in Hoiby and Hines (which is a big loss based on position need, but then addressed that early in the 14 class) but everyone else is still there. And more than that, besides Menard and RJ everyone is able to reshirt.

Future is bright kids.............very very bright and this class right now has a chance to be one of the best ever, while last years could be viewed as the best ever on paper.

56BISON73
10-17-2014, 05:15 AM
They are rotating Rams.......has that ever been done before? Kuhnert, Schueller, Plankers and Lechler. And all the subbing they are doing they cant find a reason to get Kelly out of the game to take a break. Those are 4 Rams who are not seniors and throw in Haeg and that line will be solid next year. Just gotta find the new center.

Champion and Dempsey have been really solid and both deserve to be on the all new comer team at this point. Man I cant wait to unleash Chris Board on the MVFC. Other fans are going to be "wow am I happy not to see Heagle out there anymore." then Board will light someone up and realize he is only a sophomore.

Tanguay is a beast and the ability to rotate a true SO a Redshirt FR and a True FR at the DE end spot with Hardie out, shows the talent level that has been recruited and the coaching these guys are getting from Cain and Goeser.

RJ URZENDOWSKI..............ARE YOU KIDDING ME...........THIS GUY DOES NOT DROP THE BALL............EVER! He is going to go down as one of the best ever at NDSU for a WR.

Frazier and Morlock with Dunn and Ware as RB's next year. Not even a little concern over that!

Albers and Illies are different TE's but both have been solid. Wanna see more from Connor Wentz the next few weeks.

Jedre Cyr deserves all kinds of accolades and happy to hear is was bumped from walkon to full tuition. This guy is pure Bison from the way he plays on the field to how he acts off the field.

And all the drama of losing so many seniors and so many coaches and trying to cleanup the recruiting class and waht do we know? they lose 2 DT's in Hoiby and Hines (which is a big loss based on position need, but then addressed that early in the 14 class) but everyone else is still there. And more than that, besides Menard and RJ everyone is able to reshirt.

Future is bright kids.............very very bright and this class right now has a chance to be one of the best ever, while last years could be viewed as the best ever on paper.

Dont think the rotation is helping the right side. Those guys need more reps badly. Theyve been getting their asses handed to them. They miss alot of different looks when rotating. Plus they have been losing the war at the LOS.

SamsRams
10-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Dont think the rotation is helping the right side. Those guys need more reps badly. Theyve been getting their asses handed to them. They miss alot of different looks when rotating. Plus they have been losing the war at the LOS.

Lechler completely isolated montanas stud DE. And yes I have seen Kelly miss some plays where I shake my head. But the weakest link so fat in my eyes has been Hinz. He has at least 2 false starts from the center position. But these minor hiccups are things a majority of college teams do week in and week out so yes there are places they and everyone on the team can improve. But most teams cant ingest 4 new starters with 2 others rotating in and have the success NDSU is having so far

ndsubison1
10-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Plus Vraa can come back

DM05
10-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Seeing the play of Albers/Illies and adding in Collins, the TE spot should be solid. The O-line should be crazy deep (4 starters + 2 experienced backups return Johnson comes back + 4 redshirt freshman pushing for PT). Wentz has a year under his belt, and Frazier/Morlock splitting carries. Even if Vraa comes back the biggest question mark on offense will be the development of some quality receivers. RJ will be very good, but not many known commodities after him and Vraa. Offense may have the ability to carry the team.

Smith and Champion are a great CB tandem, and the D line looks to be developing some depth to make losing Emanuel and Hardie a little easier. It would be great to see Farnlof earn some reps at DT.

Not saying anything that hasn't been said already: Dudzik, Heagle, CJ, Beck, Thornton. How many total starts will those guys have made by the end of this year? It's gotta be pushing 250. There is absolutely no way to replace that level of game experience. Board and Dempsey look legit and we look to be recruiting DB's in bunches, so I'm less worried there. But DeLuca, PGT, Stumpf, Plank, and Leikus have some big shoes to fill, and I hope they can get some playing time the rest of the season.

Bison Gal
10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Plus Vraa can come back

And Zack Johnson will be back

Gully
10-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Remember, we might still have Vraa next year.

geobosse
10-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Losing Dudzik and Heagle are my main concerns. Who steps in for those two?

BisonNation11
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Andrew Smith and Chris Board. Other than experience, with Board you're not losing much if anything. Board is extremely athletic and hits like a Mack truck.

Mr. Burgundy
10-17-2014, 01:21 PM
And Zack Johnson will be back

Might be the best player on the team

StL Bison Fan
10-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I always worry about who will replace so and so, but when I hear them credit the guy before them for teaching them, I feel better. We have leaders.

HerdBot
10-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Good post. It's all about the system and the athletes who were brought in because they fit the Tampa 2 and WCO well and knew the playbook like the back of their hands.

Props to Gene Taylor for recognizing this and hiring Klieman. Props to Klieman for keeping the continuity (and systems) and bringing in some former Bison coaches who know them. And props to the coaches for getting up to speed quickly.

It would have been so easy for him to bring in a brand new staff who wanted to bring their own system. That would have set the team back to square one.

I am not worried about next year and the future looks bright

El_Chapo
10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
RJ & Marquise Bridges next year as FR/SO with a senior QB.
Frazier/Morlock 1-2 punch Holy crap I want to see that!

westnodak93bison
10-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Andrew Smith and Chris Board. Other than experience, with Board you're not losing much if anything. Board is extremely athletic and hits like a Mack truck.
Dempsey may get a look at FS

KyleK
10-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Speaking of Mr. Johnson, anyone know how rehab is going?

KilldeerBison
10-17-2014, 05:28 PM
I saw a feature on the Bison Football Show about a walk on LB from Dickinson, Levi Jordheim. They mentioned he played a lot like Travis Beck, seems like a bold claim, I hope it's correct. Also, having Easton Stick pushing Carson should really help the Bison offense. Carson will be giving opposing DC's nightmares next year.

Kermit
10-17-2014, 05:29 PM

If Zach Johnson 66 is healthy next year, he should be an All-American. If anyone wants to watch some physical Oline play, dig out a recording of the 2013 FCS title game -SHSU #2. ZJ was a true freshman and he only played the last offensive series. What he did was impressive. I've also never forgotten his HS highlight video which I saw for the first time at the Signing Day party. It started with this 300 pound man-child doing a back flip from a standing start in the gym. Crazy.

StL Bison Fan
10-17-2014, 06:02 PM
I saw a feature on the Bison Football Show about a walk on LB from Dickinson, Levi Jordheim. They mentioned he played a lot like Travis Beck, seems like a bold claim, I hope it's correct. Also, having Easton Stick pushing Carson should really help the Bison offense. Carson will be giving opposing DC's nightmares next year.

Thought it was nice he said he looks up to Beck. Remember the Travis Beck is so tough thread?

THEsocalledfan
10-17-2014, 06:13 PM
I have to go with RJ. Just a reminder, Ryan Smith really only returned kicks as a true freshman. He did not get on the field as much as RJ in the WR role. RJ has already had a bigger impact then he did at this point. I'd be terrified of that if I was D coordinator knowing that he, Wentz, and maybe Vraa will be back.

ZHerd
10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
I have to go with RJ. Just a reminder, Ryan Smith really only returned kicks as a true freshman. He did not get on the field as much as RJ in the WR role. RJ has already had a bigger impact then he did at this point. I'd be terrified of that if I was D coordinator knowing that he, Wentz, and maybe Vraa will be back.

And from what I've seen, I'm guessing Bridges would play immediately as well.

56BISON73
10-17-2014, 06:36 PM
If Zach Johnson 66 is healthy next year, he should be an All-American. If anyone wants to watch some physical Oline play, dig out a recording of the 2013 FCS title game -SHSU #2. ZJ was a true freshman and he only played the last offensive series. What he did was impressive. I've also never forgotten his HS highlight video which I saw for the first time at the Signing Day party. It started with this 300 pound man-child doing a back flip from a standing start in the gym. Crazy.

Man do we miss him!!!

semobison
10-17-2014, 09:54 PM

I got to see Levi multiple times in high school. Very athletic kid, did a lot of things, was a hell of a punter. He was kind of lean in high school but had a little bit of a nasty streak. In basketball he had a great vertical, was a shot blocker and also competed in T&F in the jumping events. Nice to see he is getting noticed!

ndsubison1
10-17-2014, 10:03 PM

i could see dempsey being one of the starters there with Board

NorthernBison
10-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Guys better step up because next year we will be green at at least 6 positions. We could be vulnerable early.

ndsubison1
10-17-2014, 10:25 PM

LBs are a concern too

westnodak93bison
10-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Guys better step up because next year we will be green at at least 6 positions. We could be vulnerable early.
Have faith in the program my friend. Next year the o-line may have to carry the team for a while. Deluca is gonna be a monster.

NorthernBison
10-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Have faith in the program my friend. Next year the o-line may have to carry the team for a while. Deluca is gonna be a monster.

I have faith. The athleticism will be there but you can't simulate actual game reps. There will be a learning curve for linebackers and safeties.

I'm pretty confident in the offense coming out of the gate solid. Receivers need to step up because we will be thin there in terms of experience.

ZHerd
10-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Though those losses are a concern I'm much less worried about next year than I was concerned about this season. This year we replaced an O-line, a D-Line and a QB. No other replacement issues even touch that

EndZoneQB
10-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Though those losses are a concern I'm much less worried about next year than I was concerned about this season. This year we replaced an O-line, a D-Line and a QB. No other replacement issues even touch that

Both safeties? LB crew? Those are pretty big losses...I do however think Board has the chance to be really good.

NorthernBison
10-17-2014, 11:32 PM

Valid points. We will have to wait and see. For now, I'll enjoy this season.

CaBisonFan
10-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Valid points. We will have to wait and see. For now, I'll enjoy this season.My post was meant to have an emphasis on this year's contributions.

Bison Loaf
10-17-2014, 11:54 PM
At this stage of the season, I'm going to say Champion and Dempsey have been two that have stepped up big time. Especially when we consider we're talking about replacing a true game-changer in Williams. The INT's and the pick sixes have not been there (yet) from them, but their coverage has been pretty solid. Can the picks be far behind?

NorthernBison
10-18-2014, 12:03 AM
My post was meant to have an emphasis on this year's contributions.

I know. That's why LB concerns me because we see the same three guys play virtually every snap. That's a bit scary at one of the positions. If you get my drift. I'll leave it at that.

Is Tre playing some safety or is he a nickel corner? He has impressed me.

Bison Loaf
10-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Oh, and would it be sacrilegious to say that, to this admittedly un-trained eye, Champion seems to be better at run stopping (so far) than Williams was?? :hide:

17>1
10-18-2014, 12:14 AM
I'd say that any of the spots filled in where most of Bison nation had concerns about, OL DL & QB. Those new players have done a good enough job to help get us off to a 6-0 start.

Bison Gal
10-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Speaking of Mr. Johnson, anyone know how rehab is going?

According to his parents rehab is going very well.

HerdBot
10-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Both safeties? LB crew? Those are pretty big losses...I do however think Board has the chance to be really good.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as we thought. Heck Esley is playing in LJs old spot and we're fine. LJ is in Grant Olson's spot and we're ok.

The backups have been in the system for a few years and have gotten reps and will step in no problem.

The dline will be 1 year better and carry the team. Cant wait to see how Tanguay, Morgan, Schaetz, Menard, Ambrosius, Hahn, and Tuzka look with another year under their belt. Farnloff will be a year removed from knee injury. We can see what the young kids can do too. Thats a really talented group.

Linebacker will be awesome with (pick 3) DeLuca, Pierre Gee Tucker, Bo Liekus, and MJ Stumpf. Jordheim, Marlette, and Plank could be in the mix

Corners will be amazing with Champ and Smith with Dempsey coming along or coming in during nickel downs. Good young talent with Allison and Reid.

Safety will be very solid with Board and Smith. Tons of hybrid guys and talent. Between Wimbush, Molik Scott, Cenescar, Bachmeier, and DeJong we can find some depth. Heck the upcoming class has some more talented guys

KyleK
10-18-2014, 12:52 AM
According to his parents rehab is going very well.
Thank you!

westnodak93bison
10-18-2014, 12:59 AM
I think Stanley Jones will be very good in time. Needs 15 lbs. Very athletic kid.

EndZoneQB
10-18-2014, 01:30 AM
I don't think it's as big of a deal as we thought. Heck Esley is playing in LJs old spot and we're fine. LJ is in Grant Olson's spot and we're ok.

The backups have been in the system for a few years and have gotten reps and will step in no problem.

The dline will be 1 year better and carry the team. Cant wait to see how Tanguay, Morgan, Schaetz, Menard, Ambrosius, Hahn, and Tuzka look with another year under their belt. Farnloff will be a year removed from knee injury. We can see what the young kids can do too. Thats a really talented group.

Linebacker will be awesome with (pick 3) DeLuca, Pierre Gee Tucker, Bo Liekus, and MJ Stumpf. Jordheim, Marlette, and Plank could be in the mix

Corners will be amazing with Champ and Smith with Dempsey coming along or coming in during nickel downs. Good young talent with Allison and Reid.

Safety will be very solid with Board and Smith. Tons of hybrid guys and talent. Between Wimbush, Molik Scott, Cenescar, Bachmeier, and DeJong we can find some depth. Heck the upcoming class has some more talented guys

I think safeties will be Dempsey and Board...

X-Factor
10-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Plus Vraa can come back
Are you serious? He is getting the medical? If so that is an embarrassment of riches if he chooses to exercise. Quint boys....Quint

With Vraa and the development with the other players from another year we wouldn't even need a defense.

ndsubison1
10-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Are you serious? He is getting the medical? If so that is an embarrassment of riches if he chooses to exercise. Quint boys....Quint

With Vraa and the development with the other players from another year we wouldn't even need a defense.

Yeah this is only his third season playing. played 1 game frosh year. eligible for medical hardship.

NorthernBison
10-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah this is only his third season playing. played 1 game frosh year. eligible for medical hardship.

He is eligible. It's not automatic. But, isn't Vaadeland back after getting one?

It would be great if Zach wanted it and it is granted.

X-Factor
10-18-2014, 03:26 PM
He is eligible. It's not automatic. But, isn't Vaadeland back after getting one?

It would be great if Zach wanted it and it is granted.

It might be a great opportunity to showcase his talent for one more year if he has aspirations of playing some form of professional ball

StL Bison Fan
10-19-2014, 04:15 PM
I believe Coach K said that after the season he would discuss this with Zach and his parents and see what they wanted to do.

FFBison
10-19-2014, 08:42 PM
I believe Coach K said that after the season he would discuss this with Zach and his parents and see what they wanted to do.

Really comes down to where he's at with schooling...not sure what he's majoring in, but as good as he is, he'll need to utilize his major. But another year of college...who wouldn't want that? Heath Schuler and Brian Bosworth sure do!

HerdBot - you're saying you are looking forward to seeing Schaetz with another year under his belt...I'm almost certain he's a Sr. Am I wrong?

Tony Almeida
10-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Really comes down to where he's at with schooling...not sure what he's majoring in, but as good as he is, he'll need to utilize his major. But another year of college...who wouldn't want that? Heath Schuler and Brian Bosworth sure do!

HerdBot - you're saying you are looking forward to seeing Schaetz with another year under his belt...I'm almost certain he's a Sr. Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong.

EC8CH
10-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Bison Tracker app lists #61 as a Jr

FFBison
10-19-2014, 08:49 PM
[/B]

Yes you are wrong.

Friggin sweet!!! Love it when I'm wrong on stuff like this!