PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Coverage

RedRiver
09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
The Monday print edition of the USA Today had a paragraph specific to the NDSU victory over Ball State in the sports section. It lead off as - North Dakota State became the sixth I-AA team to knock off a I-A program this season by rallying past Ball State 29-24....................

More national exposure from the move to DI.

tcbison
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm glad USA Today reported that. Unfortunately the Star Tribune had very little coverage(just two sentences) and it sounds like the Bismarck Tribune was poor as well. It would be nice if the papers in the MN and ND areas would report more NDSU news.

SDbison
09-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm glad USA Today reported that. Unfortunately the Star Tribune had very little coverage(just two sentences) and it sounds like the Bismarck Tribune was poor as well. It would be nice if the papers in the MN and ND areas would report more NDSU news.
Thats OK for now. Let the Gophers and their fans believe we can't compete at their level. The less they know about us the better. I can wait for the bigger write up after the Bison beat the Goofs. ;)

TheDoctor
09-26-2006, 02:46 PM
I was listening to The FAN yesterday afternoon and the jokes are already starting. They were asking if we heard that ND State knocked off Ball State on saturday, the same Ball State that lost to Purdue by 10 who beat our mighty Gophers by 6 on Saturday. They said, the ND State game will not be a blow out folks, in fact they could even win. Common Man went on to say "Now if I was the coach, and theres a reason I am not, although I don't know if Mason has a good reason, but anyway, I'd just concede the games against Michigan and Ohio State the next two weeks and start preparing for ND State. The ND State is a very winnable game for us, if we start scouting them now." It was hillarious! ;D He went on later to say that the worst thing they could do is fool themselves into believing they could win any of these other big games and over look us, because then they will lose. ;) It's only going to get worse for Minnesota with the wise cracks about whether they will be able to beat us as the weeks role on and they continue to lose and we continue to win. ;D

MN_BISONS
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
The sports editor for the Star Tribune is a UND grad and a former GF Herald staff member. *I have met him several times and I will tell you he is a good guy.

tcbison
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Thats OK for now. *Let the Gophers and their fans believe we can't compete at their level. *The less they know about us the better. *I can wait for the bigger write up after the Bison beat the Goofs. * ;)

For now it is OK, but in the future it would be nice to see them report more. The Bison/Gopher week is going to be a fun one.

West_River
09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
The Dickinson Press did a great job of covering the game.

mikelsch
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
More national exposure was on the ESPN ticker on Saturday night. In between the DI scores, they will occasionally list the Top 5 Passers, Rushers, Receivers for the day. #1 Passer for all DI: NDSU Walker 29-46, 451 yards, 3 TD.

NDFAN2
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
More national exposure was on the ESPN ticker on Saturday night. *In between the DI scores, they will occasionally list the Top 5 Passers, Rushers, Receivers for the day. *#1 Passer for all DI: NDSU Walker 29-46, 451 yards, 3 TD.

I wonder if the person typing up those stats asked themselves if they should be doing that or not. 8-)

KC7
09-27-2006, 12:14 AM
The sports editor for the Star Tribune is a UND grad and a former GF Herald staff member. *I have met him several times and I will tell you he is a good guy.

Just a heads up for Bison trivia? The new CFO for the Star Tribune is a former bison football player, can you name him? He's got three rings....

roadwarrior
09-27-2006, 01:10 AM
That would have to be Mike Riggs.

lakesbison
09-27-2006, 03:14 AM
jshelman@startribune.com <<

Startribune.. had NOTHING on the win.. small 2 sentence.

there was a paragraph on St Johns.. and Concordia St Paul even.

what a freakin DISGRACE!!! how can we change this?!?!?

NDSU should be the #2 COLLEGE SPORTS TEAM IN MINNESOTA!!!

NDSU should be the Gonzaga of Minnesota..

sambini
09-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Very good Road you beat me to it. I like the Star and Tribune Sports usually some good articles.Good to see Mike Riggs doing so well a class act. Just like KC7 CLASS PEOPLE++++++++++

gwendel
09-27-2006, 07:43 AM
and it sounds like the Bismarck Tribune was poor as well. It would be nice if the papers in the MN and ND areas would report more NDSU news.

I'm not an apologist for the Bismarck Tribune, but...

It's the standard ND AP article, but the Bismarck Tribune did include a nice article in its Monday edition:

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/09/25/news/sports/local/121325.txt

Title is "NDSU Football Program On the Map"

In defense of their Sunday missed opportunity, newspapers are hard copy planned days and hours in advance.
There's lots of sports to cover from Saturday on Sunday. Sometime Saturday, someone in the sports department had to map out approximate space. If it was SDSU at NDSU, they'd probably say, "This is a big regional story, reserve some space." With Ball State they likely said, "I-A, I don't think so. NDSU ain't gonna win this one. This is a non-story. Give it a paragraph."

True, a big enough story can cause other stories to lose space or get bumped, but that's a tough decision made by night editors who have to answer to the day guys on Monday.

Just my perspective.

That's what's great about the internet: virtually limitless, flexible space.