PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Illinois preview

tony
10-06-2014, 10:58 AM
http://thesouthern.com/sports/siu-backfield-to-get-even-deeper-at-no-north-dakota/article_5048c05d-1ced-5183-a37c-1d70f759d57b.html

From the article above, "The SIU football team has more rushing touchdowns than anyone in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, and expects to add two of its top runners back into the rotation for this weekend's game at top-ranked North Dakota State."

ZHerd
10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Our close call and run D vs WIU has to have SIU chomping at the bit. I actually think that we will be better vs SIU because of that game.

Bison 4 Life
10-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Our close call and run D vs WIU has to have SIU chomping at the bit. I actually think that we will be better vs SIU because of that game.

This. Coach said they had a bad front that allowed the big runs and as soon as they went from it, lock down. I think he said something like "I think that kid had zero yards in the 4th quarter"

geobosse
10-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Not sure where everyone else is at this point. It seems to me that the "streak" just may be in jeopardy this weekend. We need TD's, not field goals. Needing a trick play to get our first TD doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Not sure if it's execution or play calling, but improvement is needed on both ends

MNLonghorn10
10-06-2014, 01:29 PM
SIU salooks 52

ndsu 10

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

semobison
10-06-2014, 01:32 PM
SIU, another Valley team who has been very tough against the run so far this year. Offensive adjustments?

BisonNation11
10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
SIU, another Valley team who has been very tough against the run so far this year. Offensive adjustments?

I'm hoping they go with a few more screens or play action roll out passes to the TE's. I also like the jet sweep plays to keep defenses honest and spread out. Seemed to really work on the last drive.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
This game makes me nervous, but we'll pull through. Crockett goes for 100 yards rushing and Wentz throws for 200+.
Bison- 23
SIU- 13

scottietohottie
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Receivers other then RJ need to step it up to get to 30 wins. Man this week is taking forever. I haven't thought this in a long time but I really hope that I'm listing to this game from a combine and not watching from the north end zone. Siu Superbowl this week. Peace out BV I'm going to work for a couple days.

Siouxfallsbison
10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Receivers other then RJ need to step it up to get to 30 wins. Man this week is taking forever. I haven't thought this in a long time but I really hope that I'm listing to this game from a combine and not watching from the north end zone. Siu Superbowl this week. Peace out BV I'm going to work for a couple days.
Other WR like Gebhart have. Maybe throw to them when wide open. Don't understand it sometimes. #3 was open in endzone twice in 4th qtr. Wentz was running for his life which is why he didn't see him, but I am tired of people always blaming the WR. and saying they need to step up. #3 threw some great blocks again on Saturday.

westnodak93bison
10-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm hoping they go with a few more screens or play action roll out passes to the TE's. I also like the jet sweep plays to keep defenses honest and spread out. Seemed to really work on the last drive.

The veer used the entire width of the field in the running game. We need to find a way to do the same.

BISON Thunder
10-06-2014, 03:11 PM

A counter play a couple times a game would help keep the defense off it's toes too, IMO. I think the passing game with the TE's and fullback's has been good...the rest will come around. I suspect we have not seen most of what Coach P. has in his arsenal. SIU and Indiana State will show us if we are as good as some think.

natstar1
10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Not sure where everyone else is at this point. It seems to me that the "streak" just may be in jeopardy this weekend. We need TD's, not field goals. Needing a trick play to get our first TD doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Not sure if it's execution or play calling, but improvement is needed on both ends
Coach K has no clue how to handle 4th downs. We have lost a lot of points this season settling for FGs instead of going for it on 4th and short.

reformedUNDfan
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Coach K has no clue how to handle 4th downs. We have lost a lot of points this season settling for FGs instead of going for it on 4th and short.

this doesn't sound like a change to me.

westnodak93bison
10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Other WR like Gebhart have. Maybe throw to them when wide open. Don't understand it sometimes. #3 was open in endzone twice in 4th qtr. Wentz was running for his life which is why he didn't see him, but I am tired of people always blaming the WR. and saying they need to step up. #3 threw some great blocks again on Saturday.
Don't take it personally. Open WR are missed for various reasons. Brock missed a WIDE open Crockett against GS back in 2012 which would have avoided the drama. More to WR than just catches. Anyway, the WR production needs to improve which means the line, QB, WR and OC are all part of the equation. We will be fine have faith.

EC8CH
10-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Bison are 5-0. Hard to claim Coach K has been making the wrong decisions on 4th down.

Maybe kicking fieldgoals on 4th and short isn't exciting or popular, but it seems to be winning games.

Bisonator98
10-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I think this will be a slugfest. Looking like 13-10 or 17-14 and could go either way. I'll take the Bison on a last drive TD for the win!

StL Bison Fan
10-06-2014, 04:21 PM
The ones we worry about seem to end up ok. The ones we overlook, well...

Bison Loaf
10-06-2014, 04:26 PM

I'm not complaining here, after all we are 5-0. But....I'll be curious to see if the combination of Keller finally missing a "gimme" at WIU, AND coming off a game that we just barely survived, changes the thought processes a little bit.

OR, with our defense and in such presumably tight conference games, does it actually cement the field goal thinking further ("get the points when you can and hold'em with a top ranked D")?

I'm guessing a defensive mind like Coach K's (and Bohl's before him) lean toward the latter. Can't argue the results, so far!

tony
10-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Bison are 5-0. Hard to claim Coach K has been making the wrong decisions on 4th down.

Maybe kicking fieldgoals on 4th and short isn't exciting or popular, but it seems to be winning games.

Heck, they went for it on 4th and 7 (and made it) only to have the play called back. I think that Coach K has a lot of confidence in the defense and therefore goes for the FG when it looks like a good bet (can't explain the 54-yard attempt on a 4th and 4 though - maybe Keller was nailing them in warmups?)

Of course, I'm coming from the "if your plays aren't working it's because the other team is beating you so quit blaming the play calling" zone. :)

JMB
10-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Heck, they went for it on 4th and 7 (and made it) only to have the play called back. I think that Coach K has a lot of confidence in the defense and therefore goes for the FG when it looks like a good bet (can't explain the 54-yard attempt on a 4th and 4 though - maybe Keller was nailing them in warmups?)

Of course, I'm coming from the "if your plays aren't working it's because the other team is beating you so quit blaming the play calling" zone. :)

The only thing I question is play calling on 3rd down when we are in 4 down territory. It seems like a lot of coaches thing "Holy Crap its 3rd and 7, I need to get seven yards!" Which limits your playbook. If you know you are going for it on 4th, you have a lot more options on 3rd, and you will likely surprise the defense and be more successful.

natstar1
10-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Just because you won the game doesn't mean the decisions made during the game were correct.

Bisonfan1
10-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Right on !!

ndsubison1
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
we come out ready and prepared and win the trenches. still a tight game. 23-17 NDSU. Same as 2012.

EC8CH
10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Just because you won the game doesn't mean the decisions made during the game were correct.

Yes, but winning is a result of the combination of decisions made during the game including kicking field goals on 4th down.

The Bison have a problem converting on 3rd down this year in the red zone. That's the area that needs improvement. The fourth down decision making has been cautious, but effective so far this year.

daddy daycare
10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
I'd like to see a repeat of the 2nd half from last season. I want some ground and pound.

Rixen
10-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Looks like Greg Menard jumped Tuszka for Kyle's backup this week or was there an injury?

Andrew Smith and Bo Liekhus tentatively listed as options as well.

Thoughts anyone?

Gully
10-06-2014, 06:14 PM
The only thing I question is play calling on 3rd down when we are in 4 down territory. It seems like a lot of coaches thing "Holy Crap its 3rd and 7, I need to get seven yards!" Which limits your playbook. If you know you are going for it on 4th, you have a lot more options on 3rd, and you will likely surprise the defense and be more successful.

I think this is a great point.....I'd be thinking to myself, "ok I have two plays to get 7 yards and if I get within 3 we'll go for it on 4th down". This is harder to do when you try to get it all at once and end up throwing an incompletion. Then you're facing 4th and 7 and while it still may make sense to go for it depending where you are on the field, it makes it harder to pull the trigger.

Gully
10-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Someone (can't recall who, may have been Audit) argued persuasively that coaches in general should go for it more often. I can't put into words exactly why, but it seems to me the weaker the defenses, the more you should lean toward going on 4th. If the defense is poorer, you stand a better chance of getting it and if your defense is poorer, you're going to need those points. However, if you have an excellent defense (I've heard ours is pretty tough) maybe that means you should be a little more cautious, punt and make them "go the long hard way"?

The only time I can recall this not working out recently is at EWU.

I'm just thinking outloud....this is an interesting topic.

semobison
10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I'd like to see a repeat of the 2nd half from last season. I want some ground and pound.

So would we all, but Turner is with Miami and a couple other guys graduated not to mention injuries on the o-line! This is not the 2013 O-line. This years line is very talented but somewhat inconsistent so far this season.

89MTBISON
10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
So would we all, but Turner is with Miami and a couple other guys graduated not to mention injuries on the o-line! This is not the 2013 O-line. This years line is very talented but somewhat inconsistent so far this season.

^^^This. Inconsistency is hurting us, we haven't acquired that killer instinct on either line.

natstar1
10-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Someone (can't recall who, may have been Audit) argued persuasively that coaches in general should go for it more often. I can't put into words exactly why, but it seems to me the weaker the defenses, the more you should lean toward going on 4th. If the defense is poorer, you stand a better chance of getting it and if your defense is poorer, you're going to need those points. However, if you have an excellent defense (I've heard ours is pretty tough) maybe that means you should be a little more cautious, punt and make them "go the long hard way"?

My guess is Audit. He and Bowler understand this stuff better than anyone IMO.

CAS4127
10-06-2014, 06:43 PM
The fact is, we just are not as good this year as people think. Are we good enough to win the MVFC and or the Natty? Sure, but so are a lot of other teams.

For me anyway, I do not believe we are as good this year at QB, FB or the O & Dlines as we were the last couple of years. Also, I believe the inexperience of our coaching staff is showing, especially at the OC position. I mean, to allow a defensive trail technique/responsibility player to make a bunch of tackles from behind/the weakside?! WTF ?!?!? that is not a difficult thing to see nor prevent. Hell, Wentz could just turn around after handing the ball off and get a chip on him if they don't want to designate an already dedicated blocker.

CAS4127
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM

The problem with the stats that purportedly support the theory of going for it more often on 4th is that they don't tell you which play or plays you aren't gonna make it on.

56BISON73
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM
The fact is, we just are not as good this year as people think. Are we good enough to win the MVFC and or the Natty? Sure, but so are a lot of other teams.

For me anyway, I do not believe we are as good this year at QB, FB or the O & Dlines as we were the last couple of years. Also, I believe the inexperience of our coaching staff is showing, especially at the OC position. I mean, to allow a defensive trail technique/responsibility player to make a bunch of tackles from behind/the weakside?! WTF ?!?!? that is not a difficult thing to see nor prevent. Hell, Wentz could just turn around after handing the ball off and get a chip on him if they don't want to designate an already dedicated blocker.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EC8CH
10-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I mean, to allow a defensive trail technique/responsibility player to make a bunch of tackles from behind/the weakside?! WTF ?!?!? that is not a difficult thing to see nor prevent. Hell, Wentz could just turn around after handing the ball off and get a chip on him if they don't want to designate an already dedicated blocker.

#4?

Quite a few times that guy was bringing down our backs from behind.

Mayville Bison
10-06-2014, 07:11 PM
The problem with the stats that purportedly support the theory of going for it more often on 4th is that they don't tell you which play or plays you aren't gonna make it on.

Ya, I was thinking the only thing missing from that reasoning is you have to factor in your offense as well. You need to be damn sure you are going to make that 4th down conversion. NDSU's defense can overcome some/most of those misses, but it's hard leaving 3 points out there if you don't get it.

SafeTeeJ
10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
enjoy the season!

westnodak93bison
10-06-2014, 08:29 PM

I see we ran your favorite fake dive, qb dive play again. I watched on espn3, even the announcer commented on it.

natstar1
10-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Ya, I was thinking the only thing missing from that reasoning is you have to factor in your offense as well. You need to be damn sure you are going to make that 4th down conversion. NDSU's defense can overcome some/most of those misses, but it's hard leaving 3 points out there if you don't get it.
Not really. If you're 4th and goal from the 1 you don't even need to make it half the time to make it worth it. It's a matter of finding your expected point value and maximizing it.

I wish Audit would come in here and explain this, as I'm sure his explanation would be better than mine.

CAS4127
10-06-2014, 08:38 PM
I see we ran your favorite fake dive, qb dive play again. I watched on espn3, even the announcer commented on it.

I didn't see it. Was it effective for what we needed at the time?

geobosse
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I think Wentz has the tools to be a better quarterback than Jensen. However, at this point his lack of experience is showing. Unfortunately, we don't want to take a season off for him to gain experience. I remember Jensen making these same mistakes earlier in his career.

BisonNeil
10-06-2014, 09:24 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly but would only add that for some of us this was an intuitive obviousity. In other words...duh!

Of course we aren't as good as we were last year! Just look at the experience in those positions or rather, lack of. Before the season began it was all about "the Bison don't rebuild they reload" and for those of us who mistakenly thought to mention experience means something, which is a lot, we'll, we were chastised. A classic I told you so moment exists here, for all that shit is worth.

As for the OC, yes, he sucks, but no worse than Vigen did year 1-3 of his career, so that should also be no surprise for anyone with a half-assed memory.

CAS4127
10-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly but would only add that for some of us this was an intuitive obviousity. In other words...duh!

Of course we aren't as good as we were last year! Just look at the experience in those positions or rather, lack of. Before the season began it was all about "the Bison don't rebuild they reload" and for those of us who mistakenly thought to mention experience means something, which is a lot, we'll, we were chastised. A classic I told you so moment exists here, for all that shit is worth.

As for the OC, yes, he sucks, but no worse than Vigen did year 1-3 of his career, so that should also be no surprise for anyone with a half-assed memory.

So, you are saying my ability to recognize the obvious is amazing!!?? Thanks!!:biggrin:

But note, please, that I said we were not as good as we were "the last couple of years"!!! :(

Herd
10-06-2014, 09:39 PM
IMO our challenges will be greater in 2015 than they are currenlty in 2014. We stll have LJ, Beck, Thorton, Duds, Heagle, Eman on the D. Next year could be a scary falloff in talent. 2015 will be the rebuilding year where the Offense will need to carry the D while they get upto speed.

Get things squared away and win a 4th title in 2014, that's what needs to happen. Pieces are in place.

NDSUBowler
10-06-2014, 09:41 PM

NY Times does a fun 4th down bot for the NFL that says when it is better than break-even to go for it, statistically.

Here is the chart.

http://i.imgur.com/jJOVfcM.png

and link to story on it http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/upshot/4th-down-when-to-go-for-it-and-why.html?abt=0002&abg=1

I'm not sure exactly how this translates to college but I feel safe in the assumption that given how good NDSU's defense is, NDSU should be going for it on 4th and shorts a LOT more in opponents territory.

NDSUBowler
10-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Also, here is a fun 4th down calculator to play with to figure out how often you need to be successful to 'break even'

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/4thdncalc1.php

89MTBISON
10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
WIU converted several 4th downs, did it provide a momentum swing? Not really. Getting stuffed on 4th creates a huge momentum swing for the defense. I love it when teams go for it on 4th against us because it can provide an emotional boost. It's the old pain in failing is greater than the exhileration of succeeding thing. I am for kicking field goals. Points on the board matter.

natstar1
10-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Points on the board matter.
and the more the better

gumby013
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Stache Presser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDv56w6q84

EC8CH
10-06-2014, 10:55 PM
dat camera angle

natstar1
10-06-2014, 11:11 PM
"The reality is our league is good."

With some of those questions I asked myself, "how would Greg Popovich answer this question?"

NDSUstudent
10-06-2014, 11:27 PM

For me anyway, I do not believe we are as good this year at QB, FB or the O & Dlines as we were the last couple of years.

Not sure you can really make that QB comparison, Brock and Carson are just different. I think the offense needs to adjust more to his strengths. The guy has tremendous upside, he showed some nice flashes of that against WIU. He has great poise in the pocket and when things break down he doesn't panic, keeps on looking down-field and can make a play with his arm where many guys have already tucked the ball and ran. In many ways he kept us in that game, hoping the potential he showed was a sign of things to come.

I do agree about the OL but I think that was just to be expected with losing Billy. That guy was at another level. The DL as well isn't as good, hoping Hardie coming back will help a bit. Agree with FB as well.

Glaring difference to me is still at WR. I expected more out of a few guys. Really impressed with RJ but we really need some of those guys to step up.

El_Chapo
10-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Im still pissed off at the Western debacle, NDSU needs to curb stomp these fools, anything less than 31-13 and im PISSED>

NDSUstudent
10-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Im still pissed off at the Western debacle, NDSU needs to curb stomp these fools, anything less than 31-13 and im PISSED>

We've only beaten SIU by more than double digits twice. Teh stache lives for this game.

I would love to stomp them but I think we could be in for another battle.

ZHerd
10-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Angry little Mexican men are cute.

El_Chapo
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
el chapo cute is not.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-07-2014, 12:02 AM

Nail meet hammer. This team, and the past few for that matter, have a hard time getting up for PUD games, against PUD teams, in PUD stadiums, with PUD atmospheres. They will rise to the occasion this weekend, at home, for homecoming, against a top billed team.

Not that we don't have our issues, but we won't lose this weekend. If we drop one this season, it will be against some PUD team like Missery State.

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Not sure you can really make that QB comparison, Brock and Carson are just different. I think the offense needs to adjust more to his strengths. The guy has tremendous upside, he showed some nice flashes of that against WIU. He has great poise in the pocket and when things break down he doesn't panic, keeps on looking down-field and can make a play with his arm where many guys have already tucked the ball and ran. In many ways he kept us in that game, hoping the potential he showed was a sign of things to come.

I do agree about the OL but I think that was just to be expected with losing Billy. That guy was at another level. The DL as well isn't as good, hoping Hardie coming back will help a bit. Agree with FB as well.

Glaring difference to me is still at WR. I expected more out of a few guys. Really impressed with RJ but we really need some of those guys to step up.

Kliemen made a reference at his presser to not having a Ryan Smith this year and not having a Billy Turner. Sounded like the excuses are starting to come in as a precursor to a loss. Was not impressed by what I felt was kinda throwing player under the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonNation11
10-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Kliemen made a reference at his presser to not having a Ryan Smith this year and not having a Billy Turner. Sounded like the excuses are starting to come in as a precursor to a loss. Was not impressed by what I felt was kinda throwing player under the bus.

I took that as him replying to all the nay sayers wondering what's wrong with this team. He was right. We lost some huge pieces that are not easy to replace. So we as fans and the media shouldn't expect this team to be just like last year's. Just my take on it.

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 12:58 AM
I took that as him replying to all the nay sayers wondering what's wrong with this team. He was right. We lost some huge pieces that are not easy to replace. So we as fans and the media shouldn't expect this team to be just like last year's. Just my take on it.

I agree that was part of the message. I also believe that he feels some pressure from the fans and knows that a loss or two or three is/are very possible if not probable.

Bisonwinagn
10-07-2014, 02:44 AM

The WR's have been a big disappointment this year so far as none of them seems to have improved from last year. When a true freshmen is the 2nd best WR on the team that is saying something about the other players and maybe he's saying this to get them to step up with Vraa out.

tolnabison
10-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Maybe we miss Kenni Burns?

imabison
10-07-2014, 03:56 AM
And don't forget to watch Lennon standing by the officials. Time for choruses of "look by the ref for the whining coach, look by the ref for the whining coach"

To the tune of the drunken sailor.

ndsubison1
10-07-2014, 03:56 AM
Carey Woods needs to step up. Disappointed with his play

Siouxfallsbison
10-07-2014, 12:21 PM
To Bisonwagn
Really??? how many balls have they dropped, Maybe 1 or 2. We throw more to the TE and Fullbacks this year.
You are clueless. Maybe look at the blocking they do when the RB's run the ball. Disappointment,,,,you my friend don't know football.

99Bison
10-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Ya'all must have shortest memories ever :), last year I'm sure no one complained about anything, and the the before... Scoff, nothing to see there. /purple

Mayville Bison
10-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Not really. If you're 4th and goal from the 1 you don't even need to make it half the time to make it worth it. It's a matter of finding your expected point value and maximizing it.

I wish Audit would come in here and explain this, as I'm sure his explanation would be better than mine.

4th and goal is a helluva lot different than 4th and 1. If you convert on 4th and goal, you get a TD. If you convert on 4th and 1, you still have more work to do. You can take that extra chance when the other offense needs to go 90+ yards to score. 4th and 1 from the 25 yard line - with the way our line has been playing, 1 yard isn't a guarantee right now, so why not take the 3 points, kick off, and have them start at the exact same spot.

Yes, I am more conservative, however, how many of Keller's 4 FGs this year from inside the 5 would you have gone for?
WIU - yes, I would have gone for this one
UM - from the 5 with a 3-0 lead, I would take the points again, but could see arguments saying we have been thrashing them and could make it.
ISU - from the 2 right before the half. Coaching here (if I remember right) cost the chance for another play
ISU - from the 4 up 17-14, I take the points here every time.

HerdBot
10-07-2014, 02:33 PM

I didn't feel like that at all. He was responding to a question on why we haven't had many big plays in the passing game. Said someone needs to be developed into a big play receiver. Said our offense "is what it is" and he's right. 5 new starters on the Oline, vraa injured, no smith, and a new qb. Work in progress and he's telling it like it . is. Were going to be a grind it out type offense

El_Chapo
10-07-2014, 02:35 PM
these boys are ready to explode, Saturday is gonna be fun!

OrygunBison
10-07-2014, 03:23 PM
To Bisonwagn
Really??? how many balls have they dropped, Maybe 1 or 2. We throw more to the TE and Fullbacks this year.
You are clueless. Maybe look at the blocking they do when the RB's run the ball. Disappointment,,,,you my friend don't know football.

A little harsh on the guy. Off the top of my head and without any actual research, I can remember 3 dropped balls just by Geb this season and also two blocking penalties on him during the same game. Don't pretend like their play has been good. Vraa has been awesome and RJ is really working hard and clearly wants to excel but after that, the talent/effort drops of considerably. I now completely understand why they pulled RJ's redshirt.

oldmantutters
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
My hope is a repeat of homecoming against YSU a couple years ago. NDSU is a really good team that just hasn't been clicking on all cylinders... still 5-0. I'd love to see the bison air it out this weekend and show teams that they can't stack the box anymore.

Mayville Bison
10-07-2014, 03:35 PM
A little harsh on the guy. Off the top of my head and without any actual research, I can remember 3 dropped balls just by Geb this season and also two blocking penalties on him during the same game. Don't pretend like their play has been good. Vraa has been awesome and RJ is really working hard and clearly wants to excel but after that, the talent/effort drops of considerably. I now completely understand why they pulled RJ's redshirt.

And yet, Wentz has completed a pass to 8 different receivers in every game. If there was a big dropoff, Wentz would be staring down the same 2-3 guys time and time again.

MN_BISON
10-07-2014, 03:46 PM

I don't think it's a wise thing to really question the players effort. Sure there have been drops, it's part of the game. New QB, basically new line and a very green OC also play a huge part of what's happening on the field. Three drops by Geb? Yeah I guess if you count trying to dig a ball out of the turf a drop.......If I were to point a finger at any one thing, I don't think it would be the WR's effort. Look at Vraa's numbers, no where close to last years, is his effort down? I'd say no it isn't, things have changed up in the booth. As much as people loved to jump on our old OC, he is light years ahead of what we have now. Will that change in time, I sure hope so. But here's the thing, Vigen had Jose to work with in his early years, rather limited, Timmy P has Carson and all his abilities yet the machine isn't running smoothly, makes me wonder.....

Siouxfallsbison
10-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Three drops...show me when. ISU he got nailed at the goal line and the linebacker knocked it away. On Sat. at Western Ill. he had to dig it out of the turf. (which he said he caught and should of challenged it) On kickoff, yes it was blocking penalty, on the run play it wasn't. Klieman even was furious at the officials. Tell me when he has been given the chance to make catches. Before you speak know the facts. Effort drops off??? thats funny. Trevor is one of the hardest workers and always hustling even thou he hardly get thrown to. You are also someone that comes on here and shoots their mouth off and are clueless. That is Fact!

Hammerhead
10-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I would hope that most fans know that we can't go undefeated every year. I won't be terribly disappointed if we lose 1 or 2 games this year as long as we make a deep run in the playoffs. Sure I'd love to have 4 championships in a row, but how many coaches win it all their 1st season as the head coach of a team or their first year ever as a head coach?

I agree that was part of the message. I also believe that he feels some pressure from the fans and knows that a loss or two or three is/are very possible if not probable.

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I would hope that most fans know that we can't go undefeated every year. I won't be terribly disappointed if we lose 1 or 2 games this year as long as we make a deep run in the playoffs. Sure I'd love to have 4 championships in a row, but how many coaches win it all their 1st season as the head coach of a team or their first year ever as a head coach?

Earle Solomonson.

HillsboroBison
10-07-2014, 05:21 PM
"Christian L. Dudzik @CeeDud · 13h 13 hours ago
#regram Bison practicing with newfound intensity. You'll see an inspired team on Saturday. ☝
Photo by… http://instagram.com/p/t1lcTZJ03w/"

This tweet from Dudzik gets me fired up for Saturday! Eager to see what this newfound intensity is.

runtheoption
10-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Three drops...show me when. ISU he got nailed at the goal line and the linebacker knocked it away. On Sat. at Western Ill. he had to dig it out of the turf. (which he said he caught and should of challenged it) On kickoff, yes it was blocking penalty, on the run play it wasn't. Klieman even was furious at the officials. Tell me when he has been given the chance to make catches. Before you speak know the facts. Effort drops off??? thats funny. Trevor is one of the hardest workers and always hustling even thou he hardly get thrown to. You are also someone that comes on here and shoots their mouth off and are clueless. That is Fact!Easy killer. Does Trevor know you post on here? Is so, has he told you to stop? Seems a little strange that one of Trevor's parents is on here...

tony
10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Easy killer. Does Trevor know you post on here? Is so, has he told you to stop? Seems a little strange that one of Trevor's parents is on here...

I like the perspective myself and don't really remember drops for Trevor either - I'm more of a highlight guy than a lowlight though.

NDSUstudent
10-07-2014, 06:15 PM
I can't remember a drop either and that penalty called on him against Montana was brutal.

BisonNation11
10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Inside the 5 at Iowa State. Slant pattern at the goal line. Good defense though so tough to call it a drop. That's off the top of my head. Not nagging on the kid. I love his play

KC Bison
10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
For the past several years, our losses have come when we were not only expected to win but overwhelm. When we have faced a presumed big challenge, we have done our best....Youngtown State, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Colorado State. I'm hopeful of a win this week, in that this appears to be a challenge to this team.

HoopsBison
10-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Kind of unfair to ask Trevor to pick up for the injury to Vraa. While Trevor is very good at what he does, he is not the play-maker down field that Vraa is. You know what you are going to get out off Trevor though, a kid that will work his ass off, run great routes and block the man in front of him.

Granted this info was from the Jack Show at noon and it was coming from Tank but he was indicating the injury to Vraa is a lot worse then most think.

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Dumbest play ever!:facepalm:

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Dumbest play ever!:facepalm:

Really?!! It was used to score one of THE biggest TD's in NDSU history--KSU for the win!! We used that play a lot last year, and Brock scored several TD's with it.

Unless we are talking about a different play.

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Really?!! It was used to score one of THE biggest TD's in NDSU history--KSU for the win!! We used that play a lot last year, and Brock scored several TD's with it.

I don't remember the KSU play being a fake dive, I thought it was a fake pitch right and Brock went left. I've actually never seen the fake dive and then run behind it work ever. Why would it the defense is trying to stop the dive where would the advantage be?

BadlandsBison
10-07-2014, 07:11 PM
This game will be an interesting test of what this team is made of, that includes the coaches. Or if we loose which I think might happen, how we respond and adjust. We CAN be the best but aren't there yet :) how's that for hard hitting insight?

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 07:14 PM

I just rewatched the KSU play again and Brock didn't fake it at all. Turned around and followed the FB thru the left side.

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I just rewatched the KSU play again and Brock didn't fake it at all. Turned around and followed the FB thru the left side.

Yep, I realized that now. Basically a QB load play, which I do like.

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't remember the KSU play being a fake dive, I thought it was a fake pitch right and Brock went left. I've actually never seen the fake dive and then run behind it work ever. Why would it the defense is trying to stop the dive where would the advantage be?

Hope the RB gets good block on LB and allows Olinemen to stay with their guy instead of peeling off to second level.

Bison Loaf
10-07-2014, 07:21 PM

I haven't looked at it again, but didn't the RB dive to the right side? And wasn't the winning K-State play the same play that Brock scored on against Georgia Southern in the semi's the year before. Honestly, I thought they both were fake dive right, qb dive left. I might be wrong. But overall, I think it's a good play. Just don't think Carson runs it quite as well as Brock (yet).

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I haven't looked at it again, but didn't the RB dive to the right side? And wasn't the winning K-State play the same play that Brock scored on against Georgia Southern in the semi's the year before. Honestly, I thought they both were fake dive right, qb dive left. I might be wrong. But overall, I think it's a good play. Just don't think Carson runs it quite as well as Brock (yet).

Agree, and in addition to our other running plays. Carson doesn't have the timing of the handoff like Brock did. Brock allowed time for pulling OLmen to get where they needed to be. I actually thought Davis and McGuiness (sp?) did a better job with timing in spring game than Carson did.

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Nope. It almost looked like a busted play, Ojuri went right, the FB went left and Brock turned 360 and went left. It's at the 13:35 mark on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvobbZlGCI

CAS4127
10-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Nope. It almost looked like a busted play, Ojuri went right, the FB went left and Brock turned 360 and went left. It's at the 13:35 mark on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvobbZlGCI

Nope, not a busted play. JC froze the left ILB with his "action", OL blocked down, FB went left to seal, and Gimme pulled for kickout block. Not sure the play was designed to go where Brock went, but it worked because of instincts.

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Nope, not a busted play. JC froze the left ILB with his "action", OL blocked down, FB went left to seal, and Gimme pulled for kickout block. Not sure the play was designed to go where Brock went, but it worked because of instincts.

Agreed. Still not a fake dive/dive play.

ndsubison1
10-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Would like to see some more td passes from Wentz

Bisonator98
10-07-2014, 07:44 PM
The winning TD against GSU in 2012 wasn't a fake dive play either. Brock took the snap from the shotgun and did a slight fake pump then followed the back thru the line.

Can someone post a vid of an actual fake dive and QB dive play that worked? I honestly don't remember ever seeing that type of play get more then a yard or 2.

Bison Loaf
10-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Agreed. Still not a fake dive/dive play.

Agreed. But still a good play, in my opinion. Agree with CAS that Brock's timing is everything. Notice how he waits for the guard, before going. And even though he didn't make an actual pitch motion to the right, he definitely makes a concerted head and body fake to the right - which is key. I can see, however, where somebody would not like the play if it is not executed correctly. Thanks for retrieving the video for my lazy ass!

westnodak93bison
10-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Would like to see some more td passes from Wentz
Yeah, me too. Like 3-4 per game and on top of that 3-4 rushing TDs from our RBs :p

roadwarrior
10-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Past games with SIU

2005 SIU 9 NDSU 0 Carbondale
2008 NDSU 35 SIU 27 Fargo
2009 SIU 24 NDSU 14 Carbondale
2010 NDSU 20 SIU 6 Fargo
2011 NDSU 9 SIU 3 Carbondale
2012 NDSU 23 SIU 17 Fargo
2013 NDSU 31 SIU 10 Carbondale

Gully
10-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Past games with SIU

2010 NDSU 20 SIU 6 Fargo

Wow, Dale Lennon really has trouble against a 4-3. There should be about 50 newspaper articles written about it. I believe Jerry Kill was SIU's coach in the 2005 game? That's the game Steve Walker was injured.

gwfan
10-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Brocks football savvy and instincts were as good as any quarterback I have seen. Also can only wish JC could block and
hold a block as well as Geb does.

EC8CH
10-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Saluki Locker room after South Dakota Win 10/4/14: http://youtu.be/GiSlc1Pc4LE

Bisonator98
10-08-2014, 01:04 AM

That should fire up the boys! :biggrin:

aces1180
10-08-2014, 01:07 AM

He was giving the horns.

KyleK
10-08-2014, 01:08 AM

http://youtu.be/GiSlc1Pc4LE

westnodak93bison
10-08-2014, 01:47 AM
I find him rather annoying. Ever since that comment he made about NDSU being farmers and UN_ owning the farm or something like that. Plus his last name always makes me think of the Russian tyrant.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-08-2014, 01:49 AM
Is this the score prediction thread as well?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-08-2014, 01:51 AM
Past games with SIU

2010 NDSU 20 SIU 6 Fargo

Remember that stinker. Ranks right up there with 2010 Missery State.

56BISON73
10-08-2014, 01:51 AM
That should fire up the boys! :biggrin:

What did he say?

B. b. bison
10-08-2014, 02:31 AM
What did he say?

"Now our challenge is the Bison. They've got the longest winning streak going right now in college football. But you know what? Streaks end.... Their streak ends at 29."

Bisonator98
10-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Nobody I like seeing NDSU beat more then Lennon. The guy just always comes across as I'm better then you attitude even though he's never really done shit.

17>1
10-08-2014, 02:49 AM
Nobody I like seeing NDSU beat more then Lennon. The guy just always comes across as I'm better then you attitude even though he's never really done shit.

I like beating Farley and UNI more. Then Stig and the bunnies. After that, probably Lennon, especially when he's wearing his visor backwards.

bruinbison
10-08-2014, 02:53 AM
Southern Illinois coach Dale Lennon lost a good chunk of his staff after last season.

SIU’s defense should cause problems for NDSU

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/college/siu-s-defense-should-cause-problems-for-ndsu/article_5d28298e-4e84-11e4-b101-33b4cd60bf54.html

Bisonator98
10-08-2014, 02:56 AM
I like beating Farley and UNI more. Then Stig and the bunnies. After that, probably Lennon, especially when he's wearing his visor backwards.

Farley's just a dweeb and Stig's senile. Neither of those guys could coach their way out of a paper bag.

Gully
10-08-2014, 03:05 AM
I actually like Dale. I just think the whole 3-4 thing is overrated and I'm tired of hearing about it.

OrygunBison
10-08-2014, 04:17 AM
And yet, Wentz has completed a pass to 8 different receivers in every game. If there was a big dropoff, Wentz would be staring down the same 2-3 guys time and time again.

I haven't looked at the stats like that but my guess is that the number of catches by each receiver drops off considerably after Vraa and RJ. Sure, there are other guys getting a ball or two elsewhere but those are the primary two guys. Wentz doesn't stare them down because it would be stupid to do so. He goes through his progressions like he should.

OrygunBison
10-08-2014, 04:23 AM
I don't think it's a wise thing to really question the players effort. Sure there have been drops, it's part of the game. New QB, basically new line and a very green OC also play a huge part of what's happening on the field. Three drops by Geb? Yeah I guess if you count trying to dig a ball out of the turf a drop.......If I were to point a finger at any one thing, I don't think it would be the WR's effort. Look at Vraa's numbers, no where close to last years, is his effort down? I'd say no it isn't, things have changed up in the booth. As much as people loved to jump on our old OC, he is light years ahead of what we have now. Will that change in time, I sure hope so. But here's the thing, Vigen had Jose to work with in his early years, rather limited, Timmy P has Carson and all his abilities yet the machine isn't running smoothly, makes me wonder.....

My comment on effort was ill advised. Clearly, the entire team is working hard. I was reacting to the blind support of the WR group. Beyond Vraa and RJ, I've been underwhelmed by the rest of the guys. As I understand, I'm not alone in that assessment.

For what it is worth, I really see something special in RJ. That has been a particular surprise.

OrygunBison
10-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Three drops...show me when. ISU he got nailed at the goal line and the linebacker knocked it away. On Sat. at Western Ill. he had to dig it out of the turf. (which he said he caught and should of challenged it) On kickoff, yes it was blocking penalty, on the run play it wasn't. Klieman even was furious at the officials. Tell me when he has been given the chance to make catches. Before you speak know the facts. Effort drops off??? thats funny. Trevor is one of the hardest workers and always hustling even thou he hardly get thrown to. You are also someone that comes on here and shoots their mouth off and are clueless. That is Fact!

I take back the effort comment. Sorry about that. However, if you are going to be on BV and blindly supportive of (presumably all of) the receivers, you might want to get a thicker skin until they improve as a group.

houndawg
10-08-2014, 11:13 AM
I find him rather annoying. Ever since that comment he made about NDSU being farmers and UN_ owning the farm or something like that. Plus his last name always makes me think of the Russian tyrant.

Makes me think of the Beatles.... and you gotta admit that was some good smack

Tatanka
10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Makes me think of the Beatles.... and you gotta admit that was some good smack

You coming up for the game houndawg?

1998braves64
10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
"Now our challenge is the Bison. They've got the longest winning streak going right now in college football. But you know what? Streaks end.... Their streak ends at 29."

So NDSU has a target on their back or no?? Some have said teams might not get up more for NDSU because they only "focus" on NDSU one week of the year. Did someone cue Lennon in on this right after the game or wait he may have known about it prior to the game saw/heard they won +1=29. So yes opposing teams hone in on this to get upmost focus from the team as a whole because everyone wants to beat #1. I remember in HS we played a team that was ranked and we weren't, believe we had received a vote or two. Used it as a "motivation" to prove we were better than them and went out and beat them. So yeah I think for the last 2-3 years we've been getting a lot of teams wanting to knock us off the pedestal. It is a form of team unity nothing wrong with it. Eventually every good thing has to end but would prefer to win National Championship though so rally our troops and keep on fighting!!

gumby013
10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Line is at -14.

Not touching that.

gotts
10-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Line is at -14.

Not touching that.

I don't think it gets covered...

BisonNeil
10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
To Bisonwagn

From what I saw from the replay there that many balls dropped each half of the last game!!! So I don't think that is a "clueless" comment.

BisManBison
10-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Meh, that's pretty benign if you ask me. I'd like to think our boy's motivation has a much higher purpose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcqbgU5VRJc

houndawg
10-08-2014, 05:55 PM
You coming up for the game houndawg?

Gotta work.:(

MNLonghorn10
10-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Why were they so fired up for beating pud USD?

runtheoption
10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I actually like Dale. I just think the whole 3-4 thing is overrated and I'm tired of hearing about it.This times eleventy billion. IIRC, we've seen a 3-4 base defense around 2 to 4 times per year for the last 4 years. There shouldn't be any surprises with it, as the offensive coaches will have seen tons of tape with the various teams that run it. Just have to mother effin execute OUR offense and make the needed adjustments.

ndsubison1
10-08-2014, 07:22 PM
From what I saw from the replay there that many balls dropped each half of the last game!!! So I don't think that is a "clueless" comment.

I've seen numerous. Woods had a big one on Saturday. He has numerous this season. Gebhart has a few. Vraa has a few. We really need one or two more guys to step up with Vraa out. Vaadland has been pretty consistent thus far though.

BisonNeil
10-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I can't believe he is still wearing a freaking visor. Give me a break...

BisonNeil
10-08-2014, 10:31 PM
This times eleventy billion. IIRC, we've seen a 3-4 base defense around 2 to 4 times per year for the last 4 years. There shouldn't be any surprises with it, as the offensive coaches will have seen tons of tape with the various teams that run it. Just have to mother effin execute OUR offense and make the needed adjustments.

While that is certainly true on paper this OL has under whelmed me with their performance.

They have been mistake/penalty prone and play too upright for my liking which I believe affects their "push". To think that this group of under-performing and inexperienced players will automatically handle the nuances of blocking a 3-4 alignment is a bit naive, in my opinion.

AjaxTheMighty
10-09-2014, 12:06 AM
9 - 7 Bison win. Keller is the player of the game again. We all watch as we see our hopes at a natty fade in the glow of a 6-0 start.........or Bison win 38 - 10. Hope lives on. Which is most likely?? Not sure at this point.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-09-2014, 02:44 AM
This times eleventy billion. IIRC, we've seen a 3-4 base defense around 2 to 4 times per year for the last 4 years. There shouldn't be any surprises with it, as the offensive coaches will have seen tons of tape with the various teams that run it. Just have to mother effin execute OUR offense and make the needed adjustments.

This is what worries me.

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 02:48 AM
Listened to Scotty miller interview the stache on my way home tonight. Meh.
After listening to the players Saturday I think they view the last game almost as a loss.
They are going to be looking to kick the dog.

CAS4127
10-09-2014, 02:50 AM
After listening to the players Saturday I think they view the last game almost as a loss.

Good, and hopefully they keep their pads down.

X-Factor
10-09-2014, 03:00 AM
My comment on effort was ill advised. Clearly, the entire team is working hard. I was reacting to the blind support of the WR group. Beyond Vraa and RJ, I've been underwhelmed by the rest of the guys. As I understand, I'm not alone in that assessment.

For what it is worth, I really see something special in RJ. That has been a particular surprise.
Mark it, RJ will break every single receiving record we have by the end of his college career.

EC8CH
10-09-2014, 03:38 AM
Mark it, RJ will break every single receiving record we have by the end of his college career.

Wentz seems to have no trouble finding him, and I'd imagine Stick will be able to find his old HS teammate once he takes over at QB.

El_Chapo
10-09-2014, 03:41 AM
NDSU is gonna open a can of whoop ass. Bobby Boucha style!!

Bisonfan1
10-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Stuff the Stache Top of the MVFC Saturday afternoon, Swagger will return. Go Bison

aces1180
10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Even though Lennon's stache will in Fargo on Saturday, its mind and heart will be 70 miles north, as the original stache, TMWTFN will be inducted into the UN_ HOF. The distraction of the alpha stache being honored will be too much for the other to take. Bison win.

Bison Loaf
10-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Line is at -14.

Not touching that.

"Touch-a, touch-a, touch-a, touch me. I want to be dirty!"

Bison 27 - Salukis 10

thundarsdaddy
10-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Even though Lennon's stache will in Fargo on Saturday, its mind and heart will be 70 miles north, as the original stache, TMWTFN will be inducted into the UN_ HOF. The distraction of the alpha stache being honored will be too much for the other to take. Bison win.

Hall Of Facialhair?

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Facialhair?

That's all they have...

BISONBRI
10-09-2014, 04:58 PM
That's all they have...

Their WBB team is getting inducted too? :rofl:

Bison03
10-09-2014, 05:23 PM

That's the impression I got to. Colten Heagle said they weren't "up" for this game as much as they should and that is on the seniors and the captains. I would be willing to bet that practice this week has been pretty intense, and that they will be ready to run through walls come saturday afternoon. The crowd will help this to. Can't wait.

Answer Guy
10-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Even though Lennon's stache will in Fargo on Saturday, its mind and heart will be 70 miles north, as the original stache, TMWTFN will be inducted into the UN_ HOF.

That was last week.

Tatanka
10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
That was last week.

It typically takes that long for news to reach the outer rim of Grand Forks much less get all the way to the southern part of Illinois.

bigdaddykane
10-09-2014, 07:58 PM
NDSU 45 SIU 17 :biggrin:

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 07:59 PM

After last week, I don't know if they'll get 17

EC8CH
10-09-2014, 08:09 PM

You going to the Ronald McDonald Bowl this Saturday?

aces1180
10-09-2014, 08:18 PM
That was last week.

They don't do the UN_ HOF during homecoming week? Hmmm.

17>1
10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
That's the impression I got to. Colten Heagle said they weren't "up" for this game as much as they should and that is on the seniors and the captains. I would be willing to bet that practice this week has been pretty intense, and that they will be ready to run through walls come saturday afternoon. The crowd will help this to. Can't wait.

I hope this translates into a convincing win. Would really like to see a complete, mistake free 60 minutes of football. Should be a tremendous atmosphere Saturday...can't wait either!!!

ZHerd
10-09-2014, 08:23 PM

Na, this stretch of the season usually has some squeakers. Plus our offense is having issues getting td's. We might not blow many teams out between now and playoffs. I'm going NDSU 17 SIU 13....pretty much same score I had last game.

344Johnson
10-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I actually like Dale. I just think the whole 3-4 thing is overrated and I'm tired of hearing about it.

What's wrong with the 3-4? If the Bison ran it I'm guessing you'd sing is praises.

Gully
10-09-2014, 08:33 PM
What's wrong with the 3-4? If the Bison ran it I'm guessing you'd sing is praises.

You guessed wrong. They dabbled with it a few years ago and it didn't go well (not that the defensive scheme was the only problem).

It's not so much that I dislike the 3-4 generally as I'm just so sick of hearing about how much trouble it gives NDSU.

48-2.

HerdBoy
10-09-2014, 08:59 PM
The game is at home. Heagle not happy with last weekend. The Missouri Valley grind continues. NDSU 17 - SIU 7.

bisonsupporter
10-09-2014, 09:15 PM
NDSU 31- SIU- 13. This needs to be a statement game. After last week, teams have gained confidence that they can beat us, time to show them it was a fluke game.

Herd80
10-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm feeling some good karma. 27-13 good guys

Bisonwinagn
10-10-2014, 12:56 AM
18-12 Bison all field goals.

gumby013
10-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Plane stalking time!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BSK306/history/20141010/1345Z/KMWA/KFAR

scottietohottie
10-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Do other teams in the mvfc have fans? The last two weeks have there been any on here? Maybe it is time to move up tough to talk smalk to other Bison fans. Won't make game this week but no worries the last time NDSU lost when I wasn't in attendance was esteem washington. Lol man it's hard being a bison fan. NDSU 27 stache 21

BISON Thunder
10-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Plane stalking time!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BSK306/history/20141010/1345Z/KMWA/KFAR

Projected flight pattern looks like Crockett running off tackle.

WYOBISONMAN
10-10-2014, 02:00 PM
This is going to be a huge game. I think we will know a lot about the ability of the offense after this one. A solid win and I think we could go the distance. Loss clouds the future for sure.

StL Bison Fan
10-10-2014, 02:03 PM
This looks good:

@FGOSPORTSWRITER: Defensive end Mike Hardie made it through week of practice without further problems to hamstring, will play against SIU

EC8CH
10-10-2014, 02:05 PM
This looks good:

@FGOSPORTSWRITER: Defensive end Mike Hardie made it through week of practice without further problems to hamstring, will play against SIU

Would be nice to here something similar regarding Vraa.

BisonNation11
10-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I can't decide which way I think this game is going to go. Parts of me think the boys will come out inspired and just destroy SIU. I'm talking like 28-3, something like that. But another part of me feels like the team could be caving to pressure from fans to perform and make mistakes. Either way, I think the Bison win. Just hope my first prediction comes true!

StL Bison Fan
10-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Would be nice to here something similar regarding Vraa.

Sorry...

@FGOSPORTSWRITER: Bison receiver Zach Vras ran a few routes yesterday in practice, but still questionable for SIU game.

EC8CH
10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Sorry...

@FGOSPORTSWRITER: Bison receiver Zach Vras ran a few routes yesterday in practice, but still questionable for SIU game.

Time for Woods to step up then I guess. He's shown he has the ability, just needs to be more consistent.

geobosse
10-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm with you on this Bisonwinagin.... We are in the Valley games now. This team hasn't proved they can score in the red zone consistently. We'll probably get one touchdown on a half back throw back to Wentz. It's quite alarming that this early in the season we had to pull out trickery to get in the end zone. Lot's of field goals. And those of you predicting 45? Really? Even with the hi powered offense of last year, 45 points was hard to come by in the "Valley".

BISON Thunder
10-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I can't decide which way I think this game is going to go. Parts of me think the boys will come out inspired and just destroy SIU. I'm talking like 28-3, something like that. But another part of me feels like the team could be caving to pressure from fans to perform and make mistakes. Either way, I think the Bison win. Just hope my first prediction comes true!
Seems wierd to say, but I think if we can stem the tide the first quarter...we win. SIU has played well and are now thinking they are at least an elite team...especially their transfers. If we can keep the barn door closed for a while, the dawgs will play nice.

StL Bison Fan
10-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Ever the eternal optimist, I think we have not seems the best yet. I think the play calling has been milk toast.
I know the guys are looking to prove something tomorrow. I'm sure they will.

bruinbison
10-10-2014, 02:51 PM
NDSU safeties lead nation's second-best scoring defense

Twelfth-ranked SIU (5-1, 2-0 MVFC), which leads the league with 14 passing touchdowns entering Saturday's 1 p.m. game against the Bison, will have to be aware where the back end of their defense lines up, according to Saluki coach Dale Lennon. Heagle and Dudzik are just as likely to play a cover-2 as come up to the line of scrimmage on second-and-short.

"They’ve been playing that package for a while. They’re extremely active," Lennon said. "They trigger so fast. That’s the thing that amazes me, just how fast they can trigger and react on a play and still have their reads intact. Whatever they’re doing, they’re coaching those kids up pretty well."

http://thesouthern.com/news/opinion/editorial/winkeler/ndsu-safeties-lead-nation-s-second-best-scoring-defense/article_c6c0f952-4c03-5c14-acb8-b8e2fe85fc06.html

Bison Loaf
10-10-2014, 02:55 PM
All I know is that when I start to doubt, the boys always seem to set me straight. Expecting a relatively tight battle, at least in the 1st half, but won't be surprised if the Herd makes a statement either.

Da_Bison
10-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Our offense looked great against Montana between the 20's...looked good against Iowa State mid 2nd quarter on.. We're gonna have emotion let down games but one thing that won't happen is an opponent having a let down against us. It's EVERY teams circled game and Super Bowl..So the fact that teams like Weber State and Western Illionois play us close, dont't forget, it's there best possible effort. Kinda like the Bison in the playoffs, a whole new gear

bruinbison
10-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Mid-Season Report: SIU defense playing big without big turnover numbers

This year, SIU has forced field goals in tight situations, been tough against the run, and found ways to reach quarterbacks that appeared to be unreachable early. SIU ranks 20th in the country in rushing defense (120.3 yards allowed per game) and 20th in scoring defense, allowing an average of 17.7 points per game. The Salukis' 22 sacks are tied for second in the FCS with Alcorn State, and their 22 quarterback hurries are only 11 behind last year's total.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/mid-season-report-siu-defense-playing-big-without-big-turnover/article_a31b38ef-e9f7-5fb8-87bc-8bb3e3198094.html

Bisonville GasMan
10-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Our defensive play has allowed only five touchdowns in five games. And especially at home, in the dome, SIU offense is not gonna fair much better. Our red zone play needs to improve...our offensive line needs come out angry and blow shit up. I think this Saturday they do just that.

NDSU: 7-10-7-7 Final 31

SIU: 3-7-3-0 Final 13

El_Chapo
Re: 2014 Southern Illinois preview
NDSU is gonna open a can of whoop ass. Bobby Boucha style!!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1350813/waterboy-slam-o.gif

Bison Loaf
10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm with you on this Bisonwinagin.... We are in the Valley games now. This team hasn't proved they can score in the red zone consistently. We'll probably get one touchdown on a half back throw back to Wentz. It's quite alarming that this early in the season we had to pull out trickery to get in the end zone. Lot's of field goals. And those of you predicting 45? Really? Even with the hi powered offense of last year, 45 points was hard to come by in the "Valley".

Who's to say? I certainly don't expect 45 points this week (I'm predicting 27), but then again, who expected the Herd to put up 48 against #3 Youngstown two years ago. I've learned to NEVER underestimate this team or this program. Anything is possible. That's what makes it so great to be a Bison fan!

houndawg
10-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Seems wierd to say, but I think if we can stem the tide the first quarter...we win. SIU has played well and are now thinking they are at least an elite team...especially their transfers. If we can keep the barn door closed for a while, the dawgs will play nice.

SIU has not played well in the first half all year and they haven't played anybody yet. They've done a much better job in the second half than DL's last staff though. Kinda like the Bison. The upstairs battle will be a doozy..

El_Chapo
10-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Article http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/26720181/siu-preparing-for-1-north-dakota-state

NDSUstudent
10-10-2014, 11:12 PM
SIU LB Tyler Williamson says this will be their year to beat NDSU...

https://soundcloud.com/mikereis-siu/saluki-radio-interview-siu-lb-tyler-williamson

gumby013
10-10-2014, 11:18 PM
I have to assume he's asking all the fans to turn up tomorrow.

https://vine.co/v/OAv5Ldr35HA

BisonNeil
10-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Y
Mid-Season Report: SIU defense playing big without big turnover numbers

http://thesouthern.com/sports/mid-season-report-siu-defense-playing-big-without-big-turnover/article_a31b38ef-e9f7-5fb8-87bc-8bb3e3198094.html

That is likely a key right there. I know most hate to hear about the 3-4 but this inexperinced OL has been mistake prone and hasn't seen this type of defense played as well as SIU plays it. It will be interesting to see if they can handle blitzing LBs coming at them from all directions.

MAKBison
10-11-2014, 12:52 AM
so there really is not anyone on there team that has played in the Dome....Am I right on this? Just a hand full of puppies

TAILG8R
10-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Y

That is likely a key right there. I know most hate to hear about the 3-4 but this inexperinced OL has been mistake prone and hasn't seen this type of defense played as well as SIU plays it. It will be interesting to see if they can handle blitzing LBs coming at them from all directions.

We may see a lot of Frazier and Morlock.

MAKBison
10-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Why do you say that? Who is our best RB at making a read and the right cut....one right cut can go the distance against this D

We may see a lot of Frazier and Morlock.

FFBison
10-11-2014, 01:26 AM
:biggrin:Their QBs first game with the silent count...:biggrin:

Tatanka
10-11-2014, 01:35 AM
:biggrin:Their QBs first game with the silent count...:biggrin:

:hungry: Niiiice.

Tatanka
10-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Why do you say that? Who is our best RB at making a read and the right cut....one right cut can go the distance against this D

22 / 25 seem to be better at picking up the blitz

MAKBison
10-11-2014, 01:37 AM
gunna be a long night, I am already ready for the game to start.

TAILG8R
10-11-2014, 01:50 AM
22 / 25 seem to be better at picking up the blitz

Correct sir.

Bison 4 Life
10-11-2014, 02:03 AM
gunna be a long night, I am already ready for the game to start.

Glad it's an early game

MAKBison
10-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Gotcha....

Correct sir.

SoCalBison
10-11-2014, 03:53 AM
Let the game begin! Don't know if this will be another nail-biter or (I hope) a big Bison blow out. Either way, I'm ready, so let's go Bison!

bruinbison
10-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Bonus article today from Kolpack.......

Hardie will return to Bison football team today

Mike Hardie is in, and Zach Vraa is maybe in. That was the state of two North Dakota starters on
Friday on the eve of today’s homecoming game against Southern Illinois.

http://www.inforum.com/content/hardie-will-return-bison-football-team-today

Just speaking from what I saw on tv last week , I would be shocked to see Vraa playing today.
I'll be interested to see if this was some coaching mis-direction to keep the 'stache guessing
and needing to prepare as if Vraa was playing.

A1pigskin
10-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Bison find the end zone vs. field goals. Bison 37 to 17. Bison win.

Bisonville GasMan
10-11-2014, 02:39 PM
so there really is not anyone on there team that has played in the Dome....Am I right on this? Just a hand full of puppies

...Time to get the vocal cords warmed up.."loud on every down" today!!!

BFKasper14
10-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Vraa is dressed and warming up

bigdaddykane
10-13-2014, 01:55 AM
I was close