PDA

View Full Version : Attn Coach Bohl: No more big wins!

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm starting to warm to the idea of NDSU in the MAC and that would f$$$'n crazy!

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2006, 06:00 PM
.......I dunno......I like playoffs.......

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
me too.

if NDSU continues to improve in five years or so I could see them being a super .500 team in a MAC-like conference most years. if NDSU does reach that level then consideration of the move would be a no brainer.

NDSUstudent
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

I would like to see Gene Taylor tell Tim Miles that NDSU won't join a conference like the MAC or WAC because he likes the I-AA football playoffs. Moving to the WAC or MAC is about a lot more then just football, which I think would be just fine in a conference like the MAC BTW.

Gamehunter
09-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey, if the MAC or another I-A ever became an option, we could probably schedule home-home's with Big Ten teams!!! Just think, University of Minnesota AT the FARGODOME!!! If they are willing to travel to I-A Kent State they sure as hell would travel to I-A NDSU. Now if there is any single event in North Dakota that could attract more attention than that please let me know because I highly doubt there is one.

BTW, I like the playoffs....

to bad we can't have everything our way.

MinotBison
09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey, if the MAC or another I-A ever became an option, we could probably schedule home-home's with Big Ten teams!!! *Just think, University of Minnesota AT the FARGODOME!!! *If they are willing to travel to I-A Kent State they sure as hell would travel to I-A NDSU. *Now if there is any single event in North Dakota that could attract more attention than that please let me know because I highly doubt there is one.

It will never happen with our 18,000 seat stadium. I don't know how big Kent State's stadium is, but I suspect it's bigger than ours.

BisBison
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey, if the MAC or another I-A ever became an option, we could probably schedule home-home's with Big Ten teams!!! *Just think, University of Minnesota AT the FARGODOME!!! *If they are willing to travel to I-A Kent State they sure as hell would travel to I-A NDSU. *Now if there is any single event in North Dakota that could attract more attention than that please let me know because I highly doubt there is one.

It will never happen with our 18,000 seat stadium. *I don't know how big Kent State's stadium is, but I suspect it's bigger than ours.

Kent State plays in Dix stadium, which is listed at just under 30,000 capacity. I think the FFD was re-counted at 19,200+. I don't think Minn cares about that, the deal was between conferences. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 12:51 AM
If we moved to DI-A Ball in the Fabulous Fargo Dome we would be in the same position Und is in moving to DI-AA with only 12,385 seats. *
At the Fabulous Fargo Dome you would have to raise ticket prices by about $7/seat if you wanted the equivalent of a 30,000 seat stadium at $12/seat.
30,000 x $12 = $360,000
19,000 x $19 = $361,000
I suppose the avg ticket price now is $12?

TransAmBison
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM

I would like to see Gene Taylor tell Tim Miles that NDSU won't join a conference like the MAC or WAC because he likes the I-AA football playoffs. Moving to the WAC or MAC is about a lot more then just football, which I think would be just fine in a conference like the MAC BTW.
But we still are a football school, and will continue to be. We will always base things around that. That is why we moved up in the first place.

NDSUstudent
09-28-2006, 01:34 AM

But we still are a football school, and will continue to be. *We will always base things around that. *That is why we moved up in the first place.

I don't know about that, basketball is the sleeping giant at NDSU and will be a very important part of our future. NDSU will not base their decisions on what is best for one sport, it will be a decision based on what is best for the athletic department and the school as a whole.

TransAmBison
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM

But we still are a football school, and will continue to be. *We will always base things around that. *That is why we moved up in the first place.

I don't know about that, basketball is the sleeping giant at NDSU and will be a very important part of our future. NDSU will not base their decisions on what is best for one sport, it will be a decision based on what is best for the athletic department and the school as a whole.
I'm not saying things could never possibly change, but as of this point, we are a football school. Basketball is DISTANTLY second. I go to basketball games to, that is why I can say it is true, not just an opinion. Look in the stands, basketball has a long ways to go. Don't get me wrong, they are on the right track, but we are a football school. I just can't see anything changing that.

IowaBison
09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
The day NDSU makes the tournament is the day basketball becomes king.

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree that Basketball will become increasingly important in NDSU's future, however, in athletics it is Football that is the big revenue generator.....the cash cow so to speak.

mikelsch
09-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Basketball has a chance to replicate football's revenue. 6 home FB games x 17000 fan average = 102,000. 28 home basketball games (14 men, 14 women) x 3650 fan average = 102,000. Football will probably stay slightly ahead in popularity because of the long standing tradition, less games, and you can tailgate outside. The majority of Bison fans are just starting to realize that NDSU has a men's basketball team.

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
BB will have a shot at more guarantee money opportunities too. *It seems to me BB pays a little less though. *All and all BB has a great chance of becoming the cash cow. *That would be great for NDSU because football is going to continue to generate big dollars. *Add big BB money and you have a nice income, just like the Carr report said.

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2006, 10:49 PM
My brother-in-law is an Asst. AD at Iowa State and he said there are very few DI BB programs that make money. Duke is one of them. Football will draw a lot of fans at a much higher ticket price than BB. DI athletics relys very heavily on the revenue generated by Football.

TheDoctor
09-29-2006, 04:08 AM
My brother-in-law is an Asst. AD at Iowa State and he said there are very few DI BB programs that make money. *Duke is one of them. *Football will draw a lot of fans at a much higher ticket price than BB. *DI athletics relys very heavily on the revenue generated by Football.

Basketball has more home games to make up that money. Football's cost of equipment is much higher per player, we ofcourse know the difference between 100 players and 15 players alone. *Travel for all those football players. *ESPN might cover and pay us for a game if we get big enough (alah Gonzaga). *I STRONGLY DISAGREE that they don't make money, let alone close to as much as football. *:(

WYOBISONMAN
09-29-2006, 05:13 AM
My brother-in-law is an Asst. AD at Iowa State and he said there are very few DI BB programs that make money. *Duke is one of them. *Football will draw a lot of fans at a much higher ticket price than BB. *DI athletics relys very heavily on the revenue generated by Football.

Basketball has more home games to make up that money. *Football's cost of equipment is much higher per player, we ofcourse know the difference between 100 players and 15 players alone. *Travel for all those football players. *ESPN might cover and pay us for a game if we get big enough (alah Gonzaga). *I STRONGLY DISAGREE that they don't make money, let alone close to as much as football. *:(

Sorry, but I am going to give more credibility to a guy that has been in DI athletic administration for a long time........ :-/

TheDoctor
09-29-2006, 05:25 AM

Basketball has more home games to make up that money. *Football's cost of equipment is much higher per player, we ofcourse know the difference between 100 players and 15 players alone. *Travel for all those football players. *ESPN might cover and pay us for a game if we get big enough (alah Gonzaga). *I STRONGLY DISAGREE that they don't make money, let alone close to as much as football. *:(

Sorry, but I am going to give more credibility to a guy that has been in DI athletic administration for a long time........ :-/

fair enough, but you can't tell me Gonzaga isn't making any money! *;D

Gonzaga who is a mid major in a mid major conference and a student enrollment of 9,000