PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis out at Kansas

bri-dog
09-28-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/28/charlie-weis-kansas/16382025/

THEsocalledfan
09-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Wow, getting double paid for ineptitude. If I got fired by Sanford, I'd get jack squat.....

How long until the Michigan coach is canned?

Tatanka
09-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Wow, getting double paid for ineptitude. If I got fired by Sanford, I'd get jack squat.....

So you're inept at being inept? Plausible.

IzzyFlexion
09-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Well, you'd always have yer high school football career to go back to. :rofl: ----or Peruvian travel agent.

Jay
09-29-2014, 01:19 AM
@coachingsearch: Potential candidates for the #Kansas head coaching job. READ: http://t.co/j47IRAwaAm

(our former coach being mentioned)

DePereBisonFan
09-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Wow, I wonder if Bohl would even want to touch that job. Weis was a decent coach elsewhere, no?

56BISON73
09-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Wow, I wonder if Bohl would even want to touch that job. Weis was a decent coach elsewhere, no?

college--- no. Pro----yes.

tjbison
09-29-2014, 01:54 AM

exactly the type of Job Bohl wants, I've said it since he left...bet he is eyeballing KState and needed FBS experience

THEsocalledfan
09-29-2014, 01:48 PM
exactly the type of Job Bohl wants, I've said it since he left...bet he is eyeballing KState and needed FBS experience

Bohl would have to hope that Kansas just does interim for the rest of the year, and then make a bowl game for Wyoming, even if 6-6. Timing is not ideal for him....

Bison 4 Life
09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Bohl should stay as far away from here as he can. If there is something worse than a dumpster fire, this is it.

tjbison
09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Bohl should stay as far away from here as he can. If there is something worse than a dumpster fire, this is it.

why, b12 money, is better than Wyoming dumpster fire money. if he wants a rebuilding project here it is

Bohl would have to hope that Kansas just does interim for the rest of the year, and then make a bowl game for Wyoming, even if 6-6. Timing is not ideal for him....

correct, but still a job he would take

Bison 4 Life
09-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Even so, waiting for the K State job is way better than snapping at the Kansas job. Somehow it's worse than Wyoming. Think about where you go when you leave here. Mangino scraped back to OC at Iowa State, Turner Gill is at Liberty, Charlie Weis might go back to the NFL but he already has an in there.

Jay
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Even so, waiting for the K State job is way better than snapping at the Kansas job. Somehow it's worse than Wyoming. Think about where you go when you leave here. Mangino scraped back to OC at Iowa State, Turner Gill is at Liberty, Charlie Weis might go back to the NFL but he already has an in there.

Bohl doesn't have the luxory of waiting... Father Time isn't on his side.

THEsocalledfan
09-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Agreed, but long will Bill S. keep going?

Bison 4 Life
09-29-2014, 06:16 PM

He's got a few years at least.

Agreed, but long will Bill S. keep going?

I'm pretty sure it can't be for much longer.

Bison bison
09-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Even so, waiting for the K State job is way better than snapping at the Kansas job.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Hail bison
09-29-2014, 07:39 PM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Depends on the bird

Bison 4 Life
09-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Depends on the bird

This. People don't go "up" from KU, they go down.

BisonTeacher
09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
This. People don't go "up" from KU, they go down.

What about Mason? He went from KU to Minn.....

Nevermind. Not the best example. :biggrin:

td577
09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
What about Mason? He went from KU to Minn.....

Nevermind. Not the best example. :biggrin:

LOL. I think we all dog the goofer program a lot, but they are a big ten school. Given what Mason had did at the time with the Georgia job, it probably was a step up.

He took a Kansas team from the dumps to mediocrity, had one good season, parlayed that into a Georgia job which he changed his mind about, had a crappy season, and then became the Gophers coach. Now he has a nice cushy job with the B10 network. That is all you have to do with Kansas. Get them to a bowl, any bowl, and you become an even hotter commodity. What he did at UM was actually not that bad. The goofers were absolutely completely irrelevant before Mason since the late 60s. Granted, they never got past Music City bowl purgatory, but they were better. I think most college coaches would take that. Since probably an ultra majority of college coaches are forgotten about, Mason's coaching career is probably considered a success.

After leaving Kansas for a moment and then coming back, he had no wiggle room. He kind of had to go to Minnesota.

Bison 4 Life
09-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Looks like they hired a local kid. Born and raised in Lawrence and a former KU football player. He will get strong consideration especially if he can salvage something out of this season.

BisonTeacher
09-29-2014, 11:50 PM
LOL. I think we all dog the goofer program a lot, but they are a big ten school. Given what Mason had did at the time with the Georgia job, it probably was a step up.

He took a Kansas team from the dumps to mediocrity, had one good season, parlayed that into a Georgia job which he changed his mind about, had a crappy season, and then became the Gophers coach. Now he has a nice cushy job with the B10 network. That is all you have to do with Kansas. Get them to a bowl, any bowl, and you become an even hotter commodity. What he did at UM was actually not that bad. The goofers were absolutely completely irrelevant before Mason since the late 60s. Granted, they never got past Music City bowl purgatory, but they were better. I think most college coaches would take that. Since probably an ultra majority of college coaches are forgotten about, Mason's coaching career is probably considered a success.

After leaving Kansas for a moment and then coming back, he had no wiggle room. He kind of had to go to Minnesota.

Lest ye forget i attended many games coached by mason. Lets not make him out to be more than he was. Yes his legacy looks better thanks to brewster...but mason never had a defense. Many times he shot himself in the foot with in game decisions. I often felt he was outhinking himself if that makes sense. Trying something cute instead of doing the smart thing. I really enjiy him on the radio...but i was never a fan of him as a coach.

td577
09-30-2014, 02:59 AM
Lest ye forget i attended many games coached by mason. Lets not make him out to be more than he was. Yes his legacy looks better thanks to brewster...but mason never had a defense. Many times he shot himself in the foot with in game decisions. I often felt he was outhinking himself if that makes sense. Trying something cute instead of doing the smart thing. I really enjiy him on the radio...but i was never a fan of him as a coach.

He was exactly what he was. He took an irrelevant team and brought them to mediocrity after taking another irrelevant team to mediocrity. His legacy will always be that he couldn't take a team to the next level. It wasn't as much a move up out of Kansas as he knew it was time to go. He was a mediocre coach. The goofers sucked before him and they sucked after him. They just sucked a little less with him. I don't know what Kill will eventually do, but his first step is to get the team back into Mason territory.

I wasn't saying he should be considered a great coach. I don't even think he was a very good coach. But it can't be denied he put together a really nice career for being an average to slightly above average coach. Maybe coaching wise he sucked, but career wise, his choices were golden (no pun intended).

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk