PDA

View Full Version : Ball State

broke_back_mnt
09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Ball State is a decent football team. *You can expect them to put up 29 pts and 355 yds every week. *Hey, *they delivered those averages in a 10 pt loss to the Boilermakers last week. *The Boilermakers look a little better than the BISON, but even if the BISON could only beat BSU by 1 that could still hold true. *Thats what we will find out next week.

NDSU should be able to get their game. *We will bring a stronger running game then they are used to, 222 yds/game and they give up 163, but our passing game will have to really click to pick up the avg 283/game BSU has been giving up. *We could have a great day using everybody *as receivers, our TE and backfield too and still not get 283 yds!

Im expecting a big offensive day for NDSU. *Dont think big like the CSP game but more productive than last week.

Everywhere I look I see an NDSU win. *Stats tell stories and the thing to remember about NDSU is the CSP game. *Dont count those stats! *The other thing to remember is that NU, good as they were, aren't as good as Purdue. Overall BSU has put their stats up against superior competition and over 3 games too. *BSU lost by 10 to the Boilermakers last week. *The week before they lost to Indiana by 1 and they beat Eastern Michigan by 18 in the opener.

Im just not sure if the BISON are ready? *Its going to be a step up and at best what looks to be a superior NDSU BISON Football team is neutralized by the DI-A scholarships. *Those guys have 22 more dont they? *That's a whole football team. *Same can be said for all their opponents too!

One thing for sure, the BISON wont be intimidated by the BSU crowd. *They avg about 18,000/game. *Its going to take a total team effort. *It can be done but its a long shot. *I like the odds though. *I think Coach Bohl knows what it takes to play ball in DI-A and we may have a team full of guys with that potential. *Im betting on it. *NDSU by 3.

Swaghook
09-18-2006, 12:15 AM
The Bison will have to be on their game on both sides of the ball and play mistake free football, if they can do that NDSU can win this one by 6.

Bisonguy
09-18-2006, 01:13 AM
NDSU will have to show a LOT more than they did against Northeastern if they hope to win.

The efficiency of the passing game will be critical to the success of the Bison. The running game, well, it will either be there or not, but the passing game is what will determine a W or L.

Special teams will also have to perform better, especially the return game, if a win is to happen.

Wow, my post sounds really negative, even though I believe a Bison win is possible, especially with the Bison operating at 100%. Here's a bright spot from a post on BSUfans:

Surprisingly, I think the Post Tribune put it well. You want to know how we got beat:

"A short slant here, a quick out there. A dump-off, a check-down, a strike over the middle".

...that pretty much says it all.

Sounds like what a WCO should be doing....

NDSUstudent
09-18-2006, 01:34 AM
I think Bohl played the Northeastern game pretty conservatively on both sides of the ball which will give BSU little to go off of. Hopefully, the offense is set to explode on Saturday in Munice and I have a good feeling it might. A win in Ball St could really set the tone for a great and maybe even historic season.

sambini
09-18-2006, 02:51 AM
GOOD LUCK BISON AND GITTER DONE+++++++++++++++++

Mr_Meanor
09-18-2006, 02:59 AM
NDSU will have to show a LOT more than they did against Northeastern if they hope to win.

The efficiency of the passing game will be critical to the success of the Bison. The running game, well, it will either be there or not, but the passing game is what will determine a W or L.

Special teams will also have to perform better, especially the return game, if a win is to happen.

Wow, my post sounds really negative, even though I believe a Bison win is possible, especially with the Bison operating at 100%. Here's a bright spot from a post on BSUfans:

Surprisingly, I think the Post Tribune put it well. You want to know how we got beat:

"A short slant here, a quick out there. A dump-off, a check-down, a strike over the middle".

I disagree with you....I think the running game is going to be the key against Ball State. I think Bohl is going to make a point of running the ball early and often. For the Bison to win they are going to need to run the ball and win time of possession. If the running game isn't going well the Bison will be in for a long game in my opinion.

Bisonguy
09-18-2006, 03:36 AM
The only team that has over 150 yards rushing (in fact, 226 yards) on Ball State was Ball State's only win this year. The teams that have beat them did it through the air.

Even Eastern Michigan (the team that rushed for 226 on BSU) managed to pass for over 200 yards. I'm pretty sure BSU was not throwing 8 in the box when their opponents were passing that much. If NDSU tries to run it down their throats, and BSU throws 8 or 9 in the box, it could get real ugly.

The dinks and dunks can also chew up plenty of clock.

Edit: One only has to look at previous seasons to see that if the running game struggles or is somewhat contained, the outcome is dependent on the passing game. Examples from last year, run contained vs. Montana State, Cal-Poly, and shut down at Davis. Passing game was dismal in each of those and the result was a Bison loss. The result was much different in the Northwesern State game, where the passing game was much better (and a little help on turnovers).

Gamehunter
09-18-2006, 04:39 AM
I am very confident Ball State can not run on the Bison. These linebackers are probably as good as any Ball State has faced this year. I am also very confident Ball State can pass on the Bison. If they can do it against two Big Ten teams (albiet, celler dweller extrordinairs!) they can do it on the Bison as well. I think BSU has the offense to hang mid-high 20's on the Bison as dominating as this defense is. This is one of the few games where the Bison may need to outscore their opponent and consume lengthy drives to keep BSU off the field. It's been the case were if the Bison score 20 they almost always win. I can only think of once in the last 3 years this has not been true. This may be a game where the Bison need to be near 30 points to secure a victory. That should be very possible with how porous their "D" is, but Walker needs to be able to hit wide open 6'5" tight ends.

BisonBryce
09-18-2006, 04:42 AM
The BISON can do this!

From http://www.ballstatesports.com
"Ball State's football team scored first and last, but the Purdue Boilermakers of the Big Ten Conference tallied a 38-28 victory in West Lafayette, Ind., Saturday afternoon.

Ball State quarterback Joey Lynch threw three first half touchdown passes, but Indiana scored 17 unanswered points in the second half for a comeback victory. (24-23 loss for BSU)"

Gotta give credit here. This is going to be a tough battle. It could also be a measuring stick in what the Bison have to do to play Minnesota. I think the losses are more impressive for BSU in their last two weeks. 38-28 AT Purdue is not too shabby. 1 point loss, even to IU, is anothing to be ashamed of.

Bison have their hands full, especially playing away. But they've been in this situation before and succeeded. They can do it again..and again..and again.

markerman
09-18-2006, 12:41 PM

I agree...

WYOBISONMAN
09-18-2006, 12:49 PM
I would go along with Bisonguy's analysis of this as well. *The herd will have to turn it up a notch to win at Ball State. * I don't think the type of play that got us the victory against NU will get the same result at Ball State.

Can the team do this.......you bet. *But, play will have to be at a higher level.

IowaBison
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
This is one of the few games where the Bison may need to outscore their opponent ........

as opposed to golf?

IowaBison
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure BSU was not throwing 8 in the box when their opponents were passing that much. If NDSU tries to run it down their throats, and BSU throws 8 or 9 in the box, it could get real ugly.

Please don't bring this up. I still wake-up in the middle of the night with cold sweats after having nightmares about Cal-Poly.

BisonBacker
09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey help me out here guys, they are talking over on the ball state board about this game, the fans think they will win big.

http://www.bsufans.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&ac tion=viewtopic&topic=10835

I hope their team is as overconfident.

BisonBacker
09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I would go along with Bisonguy's analysis of this as well. *The herd will have to turn it up a notch to win at Ball State. * I don't think the type of play that got us the victory against NU will get the same result at Ball State.
Can the team do this.......you bet. *But, play will have to be at a higher level.

I couldn't agree more on this comment. We need to step it up or we are going to be overtaxing our defense. The guys are good but you can only ask so much of them. That being said if the passing game is on I think we stand a great chance as we won't be one dimensional. Dam it would be nice to get the W

tony
09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey help me out here guys, they are talking over on the ball state board about this game, the fans think they will win big.

Help out with what? Is Ball State running out of bulletin board material?

NDSU is the underdog. Heck, NDSU is a HEAVY underdog. If NDSU wins, it will be an upset and a great credit to the guys. Anybody who says different is writing checks for somebody else to cash.

mebison
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM

http://www.bsufans.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&ac tion=viewtopic&topic=10835

I hope their team is as overconfident.

They seem pretty reasonable to me *:-/

They just think their team is going to win...now, where else have I seen that *;)

BisonMav
09-18-2006, 04:43 PM

NDSU is the underdog. Heck, NDSU is a HEAVY underdog. If NDSU wins, it will be an upset and a great credit to the guys. Anybody who says different is writing checks for somebody else to cash.

I agree Tony, the Bison will need a great effort to defeat Ball St.

Bisongold
09-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Ball State 36, Bison 13. Sorry guys. Please prove me wrong!!

NDSU_grad
09-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I haven't checked BSU's board since this morning, but I was just going to post on here saying how much respect they were showing the Bison. If the #17 or whatever we are DII team was coming into the Fargodome there would be predictions of 63-0 on here. I think we will have stretch the field vertically if we're going to have a chance.

BisonBacker
09-18-2006, 05:12 PM

If you read some of the threads the guys are thinking they will win Big which is what I was referring to. Yes most show a level or respect and no I don't take it for granted that we will win. Actually I think that unless we have great execution on both sides of the ball we will likely leave with a L. Just that it didn't appear there was anyone other then myself on the board predicting a good competitve game. Comments like Big win I think are very premature and I think it will be a good game. Guess asking for a few Bison regulars to post over there was wrong? When is prediciting a good game bulletin board material? Why put the link to the Ball state board on the Bison Insider at all? Glad to see Tony is so confident in NDSU that you rate us as a heavy underdog. You reek of confidence Tony (NOT). I have some faith in the guys that they can comptete. You've been watching Top Gun way to much using the writing Checks comment.

cedarpointer
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Well I think NDSU will definantly come on strong! BUT you must remember we have played some very tough competition this year and like last year once we got the big boys out of the way WE DOMINATED some MAC opponents! we beat NIU on the road 34-17 #7 best rushing team in the nation! We beat 2005 MAC champs Akron last year.

BSU IS SO HUNGARY FOR A MAC TITLE IT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY!!

This year.

We would have dominated EMU if not for thier mobile QB! The same team we only beat by 1 last year!

I honestly think BSU is going to lay it down hard and heavy!

What you can expect:
-BSU will run the ball more than they did at Purdue, (we rarly rushed agains IU)
-If we are up more rushing, down all passing
- BSU's D will be relentless! our D stepped up a GREAT deal the past 3 weeks
- BSU fans will be very loud and attendence will be high! There is a concert after the game so everyone will be pumped up.

What NDSU needs to do to win.
-MOBILIZE YOUR QB. (this has shown to KILL bsu's D)
- Break Tackles!!! (BSU is terrrible this year about giving up xtra yards)
- Dont pass unless your confident in your QB!! (BSU int. PU 2x in red zone)
- Watch out for SpTeams! Jackson is able to kick a 56yd FG! and the punter is amazing!

I am not overconfident at all about BSU BUT the way they have played last 3 weeks has shown so much to be a dominate team in the MAC!

Look for BSU to come out strong and play strong all 4Qs!
I will say BSU 38-NDSU-17

Bison2248
09-18-2006, 05:47 PM
If we do pull out a win NDSU is going to become the underdog KING.

virgfoss
09-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Ball State is in trouble when it comes to attendance.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-08-16-attendance-woes_x.htm

NDSUstudent
09-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I think NDSU is going to play Ball St strongly, if they expect to run on NDSU's defense they will be mistaken. NDSU's rush defense is rock solid but the secondary still is an area for concern. If NDSU is going to win this game our CB's need to have great games and limit the big plays. On offense Walker needs to be solid, he doesn't have to pass for 300 yards just has to be accurate. All he has to do is show our passing attack is a threat so they don't focus solely on Steffes. SIU beat Indiana and that tells me NDSU can beat Ball St. Heck, MAC teams have a history of losing to or struggling with I-AA teams. Right now I say NDSU beats Ball St 27-24.

tony
09-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Glad to see Tony is so confident in NDSU that you rate us as a heavy underdog. *You reek of confidence Tony (NOT). *I have some faith in the guys that they can comptete. *You've been watching Top Gun way to much using the writing Checks comment. *

Why not let NDSU's play speak for itself? I'm all for the other team's fans, players, or coaches mouthing off... I wish more of them did. As far as I know, that has never won the other team a game, but it sure has fired up our guys.

You said you needed help mixing it up with the Ball State fans. My question stands: What are you hoping to accomplish? Are you worried that Ball State is lacking motivation and you want to fire them up?

BisonBacker
09-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Glad to see Tony is so confident in NDSU that you rate us as a heavy underdog. *You reek of confidence Tony (NOT). *I have some faith in the guys that they can comptete. *You've been watching Top Gun way to much using the writing Checks comment. *

Why not let NDSU's play speak for itself? I'm all for the other team's fans, players, or coaches mouthing off... I wish more of them did. As far as I know, that has never won the other team a game, but it sure has fired up our guys.

You said you needed help mixing it up with the Ball State fans. My question stands: What are you hoping to accomplish? Are you worried that Ball State is lacking motivation and you want to fire them up?

It might do you well before you jump to conclusions to go see what is being said by everyone. I'm sorry I even brought it up. You automatically assume its smack, well you know what they say about making assumptions, you just proved that point.

Bisonguy
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
NDSU is an underdog in this game.

The only way NDSU stands a chance at winning is with near flawless execution in all three phases of the game.

A Bison win is not impossible, but it is improbable.

One advantage that NDSU may have is that Ball State has probably shown a lot more of it's playbook in the tape exchange. Remember, the only blitz schemes that NDSU has shown are the 4-3 jack and the 4-3 crap. ;)

[Cliff Claven Voice]It's a little known fact that both NDSU's AD, Gene Taylor, and Ball State's AD, Tom Collins are Arizona State alumni [/Cliff Claven Voice]

NDSUstudent
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Good news for those who have GoBison All Access because The MAC conference webcasts all their games from the same company NDSU uses. So just like last year's SIU game this game should be available for those who have GoBison All Access.

Also NDSU's game vs Minnesota is slated to be on Fox Sports North but if the Twins make the World Series the game could be moved to Friday and I don't know how that affect FSN putting the game on or ESPN+ for that matter.

mikelsch
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
NDSU vs. Ball State on the MAC webcast for $7.95
https://www.nmnathletics.com/reg2/Start.dbml?&&&DB_OEM_ID=9400&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=USER

roadwarrior
09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
The Ball State game is listed under coming events on gobison.com

roadwarrior
09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Craig Bohl quote: On the challenges of Division I:

“We need these challenges. This is what we are about. We can sit in the easy comfort and confines of Division II football and meander around. If you’re going to run with the big dogs, you got to be in the tall grass and we are stepping out in the tall grass.”

Frozenbaugh
09-19-2006, 02:12 AM
For those who are making the trip (epitome of dedication), the tailgate lot opens at 3:30 pm. *Most think it should be an all day event but that is the BSU admin for you.

There is every restaurant that you could ever ask for on the main drag. *I would recommend Scotty's Brewhouse. *It is my personal fave. *There is also a Buffalo Wild Wings too.

15.5 yds rushing per game allowed? That's crazy!

Hammersmith
09-19-2006, 02:41 AM
Ball State is in trouble when it comes to attendance.
Since 2000, they've only averaged over 15k once. Last years average was 12953.

roadwarrior
09-19-2006, 02:42 AM
There is every restaurant that you could ever ask for on the main drag. *

What is the name of the main drag?

TheBisonator
09-19-2006, 03:22 AM
There is every restaurant that you could ever ask for on the main drag. *

What is the name of the main drag?

Just checked Google Maps. It's McGalliard Road, on the north side of town. It runs east-west. The stadium is also located right off the road.

roadwarrior
09-19-2006, 03:37 AM
New road uniforms debut this weekend! We will be able to tell who has the ball!

Bisonguy
09-19-2006, 04:14 AM
New road uniforms debut this weekend! *We will be able to tell who has the ball!

Meh, bring back last year's and make them guess who has the ball!!

kchats
09-19-2006, 04:47 AM
The Ball State game is listed under coming events on gobison.com

I contacted the All Access technical staff and asked if the link was available, ala the Southern Illinois game. They responded that they would look into it and thankfully the link was available.

I am very excited by how great NDSU's website is. This website and what it offers is top notch in division I-AA and is almost on par with division I-A sites. Northern Iowa doesn't even offer webcasts for football.

gwendel
09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I am very excited by how great NDSU's website is. This website and what it offers is top notch in division I-AA and is almost on par with division I-A sites. Northern Iowa doesn't even offer webcasts for football.

U-m-m-m. I've been thinking it pretty much was on par with DI-A sites. What do you think is lacking, kchats?

cedarpointer
09-19-2006, 05:10 PM
The main strip is McGalliard Road! or 332!!!

It has most of what Muncie has to offer!! The statium is about 11miles in off the Interstate to the right! You will see the trafic.

TIP- when you get off the exit it is going to look like NOTHING is there BUT you have to drive 10+ miles until you get to Muncie so dont be alarmed. That exit only has 2 gas stations!

I hope to hell it does not rain saturday because they have been predicting it the past 2 days :'(

let me know if you guys need any other help!!

Go mightly Cardinals!

Trimmy
09-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Hmmm... Rain like hell, eh? I like it.

cedarpointer
09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Hmmm... Rain like hell, eh? *I like it.

Rain will work to the Cards advantage...
2/3 of our games were in the rain so far!! LOL

broke_back_mnt
09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree with Trainers lastest write up on Bison Insider. NDSU is statistically superior to BSU even without the CSP stats thrown in. The unknown factor is the difference. Are they superior athletically to the DI-AA BISON?

What is the difference between DI-A and DI-AA? I cautioned in my analysis that its difficult to compare stats between divisions. Where I get my comfort is from the Coach. Coach Bohl knows what the difference is and thinks we can play with them. If thats true expect a good game right to the end. Im standing by my prognostication of BISON by 3.

I think its great to see some of the BSU fans here, and their board has been most gracious to us. Thats the true spirit of college ball.

TheBisonator
09-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm hoping for a Bison win, but I think there's probably an equal chance of either a win or a loss for us. I really think this will be a close offensive game, the kind where both teams each match touchdown for touchdown on each drive. Like a 42-38 score, or something like that.

It's gonna be an EXCITING game to watch on the webcast.

Gamehunter
09-20-2006, 05:36 PM
There is no way that many points will be scored by both teams. The only way to see 40 points on the board is for the game to be a complete blowout. IMO Ball State doesn't have the time to put 40 points on the board against this defense if NDSU is effectively moving the chains. Low-mid 30's max.

cedarpointer
09-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I will tell you guys I cant wait until Saturday!! The 1 key for NDSU to win this game is to mobilize your QB. BSU is going to eat up the run, and force you to pass. (and that is where BSU is strong defensivly!)

Im not giving away BSU, But everyteam plays different and that seemed to be the case the past 3 games when the cards give up tons of rushing yards.

BALL STATES DEFESE GIVES UP RUSHING YARDS NOT TO BACKS BUT TO QB's!!

I know our D looks weak against rushing BUT i will say 80% is from mobile QB (no joke)

-Purdue deliverd Lynch his first and second sac of the season!
-EMU could not produce a TD w/o the option, SAME with IU (exception to their kickoff return)

NDSUstudent
09-20-2006, 06:48 PM
I am starting to have a good feeling about this game, I know the BSU offense has some worried sick but their defense is far from perfect. I think they have a few flaws coach Bohl may be able to attack and the result will probably be NDSU putting up between 20 to 30 points. The question of course is will that be enough to win? Can NDSU contain their passing attack?

Mr_Meanor
09-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I have been going back and forth on my opinion on this game. I think the 3 keys to this game for the bison will be 1. Run the ball early and often (this also includes screens and passes to the flats) , the Bison are going to need to win time of possession and keep the talented Cards offense off the field. 2. The Bison corners are going to need to have a very solid game. The WR for Ball State are very talented and are corners are pretty unproved. They are really going to need to step it up this week. 3. Special teams coverage. I think this single handedly could lose the game for the bison. We can not allow the Ball State playermakers to make big plays on kick off and punts. The bison punt and kickoff coverage has been bad this year and if NDSU give them shorts fields all day long it could be a long day.

IowaBison
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
NDBs thoughts.

The Bison can win.

IFF

1. The secondary plays well. The big unanswered question in my book.

2. Walker and the receiving corps are successful. I'm quite optimistic about our team with respect to its passing game.

3. Setting up the run (I know 2 and 3 are 'backwards'). I will not live through another Cal-Poly like performance.

[4. Apparently Ball State's D does poorly against scambling, running quarterbacks. Not exactly Walker's strong suit with respect to running, but certainly not his weakest. I think that Steve is very good in deciding to and then executing a scramble when need be-of course there can't be eight guys in the box when he does it.]

I see Ball State throwing the ball early and often with success, they've got the quarterback and complements to do it, if our secondary is mediocre-game over. Not so successful with the rushing game, but enough to break up the pass (backwards again, I know!).

Final Call: 27-13 Ball State.

Cards
200 yards passing (including quite a few 10+ yd. completions and at least one over 30)
100 yards rushing (nothing stunning)

Bison
150 yards passing (a mild mannered approach mixed with the run? not quite, eh, Coach Bohl?)
125 yards rushing (Steffes around 100, nothing over 25 yards)

Maybe special teams will be the difference? (Shamen, oh, Shamen! Wherefore art thou Shamen!)

Unlike the poster who questioned the Bison and weather. Every inch of rain or 5 knots of wind speed give the Bison another three points in my handicapping.

IowaBison
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I have been going back and forth on my opinion on this game. I think the 3 keys to this game for the bison will be 1. Run the ball early and often (this also includes screens and passes to the flats) ,

I think that is right on. Mr_Meanor.

Out of every nine plays I'd expect

3 running plays to HB
1 running play to FB
1 screen
1 pass to the flats
a couple of short passes and
1 15+ yd pass attempt to white or heckendorf

Mr_Meanor
09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I have been going back and forth on my opinion on this game. *I think the 3 keys to this game for the bison will be 1. *Run the ball early and often (this also includes screens and passes to the flats) ,

I think that is right on. Mr_Meanor.

Out of every nine plays I'd expect

3 running plays to HB
1 running play to FB
1 screen
1 pass to the flats
a couple of short passes and
1 15+ yd pass attempt to white or heckendorf

I think the 2 things the Bison must win are time of possession and field possiesion...if they lose one of these is will be a very very tough game for them if they lose both they have no chance in hell and if they win both it should be a very close competive game.

IowaBison
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm not big on the time of possession argument.

If BSU lights up our secondary who cares how long their D is on the field.

Just an opinion.

Mr_Meanor
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm not big on the time of possession argument.

If BSU lights up our secondary who cares how long their D is on the field.

Just an opinion.
I think its very important...if Ball State's offense is lighting it up against the Bison D we are going to need to take time off the clock and run the ball and have long drives that eat up the clock and limit the number of possesion Ball States offense has. If we try to get into a shoot out I don't see the Bison winning. We need to control the clock and keep Ball States offense off the field as much as possible.

Thunder_Struck
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
BSU fan claims running QB's are a problem. Any chance that we could see Parsons if the offense stalls with Walker? If so, how long does Coach wait to make that switch?

IowaBison
09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
I've thought about that too, Thunder_Struck. I don't see it happening, unless on-tape Ball State is absolutely horrendous.

Walker is the quarterback and de facto leader of the Bison offense. To replace him just because Ball State can't handle mobile quarterbacks doesn't make too much sense to me.

coloradobison
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
NBS, I would have to agree with you 100%. That was my first thought also, but you can not take out your offensive leader (QB and team captain).

NDSUstudent
09-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Sat 9/23 583 North Dakota State -3 -115
6:30PM (EST) 584 Ball State +3 -115

http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=51059

Looks like NDSU is an early favorite against Ball St according to the oddsmakers.

gwendel
09-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Matt Dougherty doesn't pick many I-AAs over I-A, but he thinks the Bison will win.

There are very few matchups where the I-AA team could almost be considered a favorite against a I-A squad, but this one’s close. I won’t go so far to say North Dakota State would be favored, but the matchup is at least very close to equal. North Dakota State plays a solid game on both sides and has experience on the road, and should keep it close in the fourth quarter. With good players at the skill positions on offense, the Bison can get the late scores they’ll need to add to the I-AA victory total against I-A foes. Prediction: North Dakota State 24, Ball State 20

Full story here:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page.

BraxtonT
09-21-2006, 03:05 AM
It's gonna be an EXCITING game to watch on the webcast.[/quote]

It's going to be even more EXCITING being there in person! ;D ;D

GFBisonFan
09-21-2006, 06:16 AM
I don't like the fact that we are favorites against a I-A team on their field. Don't get me wrong, I love the respect, but that to me is bulletin board material. Don't need to give them any more motivation.

Should be an excellent game-I predict the bison by 7, 28-21.

GO BISON!!

lucchesicourt
09-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Why shouldn't you guys be favored? Every time I see my Aggies playing you, I feel like an underdog. You have ALWAYS been a tough opponent. I'm loking forward to this years game too. But, I don't think of us as a favorite ever. All I ever know is we will have a big job cut out for us when we play.
Give Ball HELL!!!!! Good Luck!!!!

Green-N-Gold
09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the respect. The Bison feel the same about the Aggies. You guys ALWAYS bring it!

IowaBison
09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Just don't bring it on Homecoming again.

....stupid aggies.......

:)

BisonBacker
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's one prognosticator who thinks Ball State will handle NDSU quite easily however he gives himself an out by saying NDSU is hard to get a read on.
Here's the link.
http://www.vandelaysports.com/football/mac-football-picks/wk04-mac-picks.html

NDSUstudent
09-22-2006, 12:10 AM
cfn.com Prediction

North Dakota State (2-0) at Ball State (1-2) 6:30 pm EST Saturday, Sept. 23

Why to watch: This could turn out to be the most interesting MAC game of the day as North Dakota State, ranked 14th in D-IAA, takes on a Ball State team that has been a solid so far despite the 1-2 record. The Cardinals barely missed in a 24-23 tough loss to Indiana, and it battled Purdue well in a 38-28 loss. The Bison blasted Concordia 66-7 and Northeastern 23-10, but those were two of the team's five home games. This starts a brutal stretch of six road games in seven weeks that includes a date at Minnesota in October.

Why North Dakota State might win: Granted, it's not like NDSU has played the Gophers yet, but its run defense has been tremendous over the first two games allowing a mere 31 yards and holding Concordia to -14. Ball State has been all pass and no run so far, so if the Bison can somehow keep Joey Lynch and the Cardinal passing attack from exploding, this might be close.

Why Ball State might win: NDSU hasn't seen a real, live passing attack yet. Lynch and the Cardinals have been productive over the last two weeks throwing for 289 and three touchdowns against Indiana and 291 and two scores against Purdue. There was also the four-touchdown day against Eastern Michigan, with some help from freshman Nate Davis. the Bison secondary s relatively young and should get beaten deep at least twice.

Who to watch: There's a real live pro prospect in this game that some scout somewhere is going to train an eye on. North Dakota State junior Mike Dragasovich is a big 6-5, 200-pound bomber who'll get a look from someone after averaging 43.7 yards per kick over his first two years with a whopping 36 kicks placed inside the 20. He started off this season with two blasts for 106 yards, both in last week's win over Northeastern. Ball State junior punter Chris Miller should be up to the challenge. He's averaging 43.3 yards per kick so far and has bailed the Cardinals out of several big jams.
What will happen: Ball State is playing too well to lose a game like this, but it's not going to be a walk in the park.

CFN Prediction: Ball State 31 ... North Dakota State 14 ... Line: No Line
Must See Rating: 1.5 out of 5

Husky_Alum_93
09-22-2006, 08:18 PM
First, thanks again to the Bison Faithful who showed me a great time at the tailgate in Fargo last weekend. I came back to Boston with a glowing report about your hospitality, your university, and your football team.

I think this is a tougher game than many realize. While I think NDSU didn't show much variety on offense last week, it really didn't need to. Northeastern's D-line isn't big, and it's not that good.

I've been somewhat impressed by the Ball State offense, and expect them to be able to put points on the board. The point spread kind of befuddles me, however.

Best of luck to you this week!!!

Bison13
09-22-2006, 09:34 PM
As I see NDSU an underdog this weekend, I blame that on BSU's passing attack! There recievers are big and fast, our corners are small and fast...plus inexperienced. The BISONS very talented safties are going to have to have a big game to make up for this difference. RAIN is in the forcast for this game which is a HUGE relief to me. If it rains all during the game, running will be the name of the game...and I think the bison have the edge in the running attack. A lot of rain will def. slow down BSU'S potent passing attack. I am on my knees thanking GOD for rain this weekend. No rain, BSU wins.....rain equals low attendance, lots of rushing and a BISON win! To BSU fans, this game must have an omnious feeling.....

broke_back_mnt
09-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Another great call, another great game! *I underestimated the BISON. *It looked like a sure win but the divisional difference made it a tough call. *Coach Bohl had it right and Im glad I hung my hat on that.

Ball State is a decent football team. *You can expect them to put up 29 pts and 355 yds every week. *Hey, *they delivered those averages in a 10 pt loss to the Boilermakers last week. *The Boilermakers look a little better than the BISON, but even if the BISON could only beat BSU by 1 that could still hold true. *Thats what we will find out next week.

NDSU should be able to get their game. *We will bring a stronger running game then they are used to, 222 yds/game and they give up 163, but our passing game will have to really click to pick up the avg 283/game BSU has been giving up. *We could have a great day using everybody *as receivers, our TE and backfield too and still not get 283 yds!

Im expecting a big offensive day for NDSU. *Dont think big like the CSP game but more productive than last week.

Everywhere I look I see an NDSU win. *Stats tell stories and the thing to remember about NDSU is the CSP game. *Dont count those stats! *The other thing to remember is that NU, good as they were, aren't as good as Purdue. *Overall BSU has put their stats up against superior competition and over 3 games too. *BSU lost by 10 to the Boilermakers last week. *The week before they lost to Indiana by 1 and they beat Eastern Michigan by 18 in the opener.

Im just not sure if the BISON are ready? *Its going to be a step up and at best what looks to be a superior NDSU BISON Football team is neutralized by the DI-A scholarships. *Those guys have 22 more dont they? *That's a whole football team. *Same can be said for all their opponents too!

One thing for sure, the BISON wont be intimidated by the BSU crowd. *They avg about 18,000/game. *Its going to take a total team effort. *It can be done but its a long shot. *I like the odds though. I think Coach Bohl knows what it takes to play ball in DI-A and we may have a team full of guys with that potential. *Im betting on it. *NDSU by 3.*

BisonBacker
09-24-2006, 02:43 AM

To Minnesota maybe but not to this Ball State team, I didn't think we were a heavy underdog at all. Even their announcers said we could compete in the MAC.

sambini
09-24-2006, 02:39 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++

tony
09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Here's one prognosticator who thinks Ball State will handle NDSU quite easily however he gives himself an out by saying NDSU is hard to get a read on.
Here's the link.

Vandelaysports? Isn't Art Vandelay the architect that is doing the BSA remodel (according to Jeff Kolpack). :)

And don't expect me to apologize for saying that the Bison were an underdog... it wouldn't have been as big a win if that hadn't been the case.

BisonBacker
09-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Here's the link.

Vandelaysports? Isn't Art Vandelay the architect that is doing the BSA remodel (according to Jeff Kolpack). :)

And don't expect me to apologize for saying that the Bison were an underdog... it wouldn't have been as big a win if that hadn't been the case.

Where did I ask for an apology? What you think doesn't matter to me. Apparently the guy picking the games in the link I provided knows more or has more faith in NDSU then you do though. I looked at the game objectively and didn't see anything but depth being an issue and as it turned out it wasn't a big enough issue to tip the tables in Ball States favor. Had Ball State come off a winning season and returned a bunch of starters I would have felt differently. They would be a good DIAA team but for DIA they are a middle to bottom feeder or at least have been the last couple of years. I've already posted all this here so I won't digress and will just leave it at this, I enjoyed the win and am happy for our guys. I think we stand a great chance to go into the Minnesota game undefeated, Yes even with a down year for the gophers we will be a definite underdog there but I won't rule out the chances for us to win the game but that would be a much bigger feat than beating Ball State and your comments about being a big underdog in that game are more appropriate. Enough said.

mn-bison
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Look at the scores... Hypothetically

NDSU - Ball St. * * * * * * * * * * * *NDSU +5.
Ball St. - Purdue * * * * * * * * * * *Purdue +10.
Therefor, NDSU - Purdue * * * * *Purdue +5.

Purdue - Minnesota * * * * * * * * *Purdue +7.
Therefor, NDSU - Minnesota * * NDSU +2, in the hypothetical world.

Not linear logic, but good fodder for conversation / ridicule.

MinotBison
09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Look at the scores... Hypothetically

NDSU - Ball St. * * * * * * * * * * * *NDSU +5.
Ball St. - Purdue * * * * * * * * * * *Purdue +10.
Therefor, NDSU - Purdue * * * * *Purdue +5.

Purdue - Minnesota * * * * * * * * *Purdue +7.
Therefor, NDSU - Minnesota * * NDSU +2, in the hypothetical world.

Not linear logic, but good fodder for conversation / ridicule.

The operative word is hypothetical, but it sure is fun to think about, isn't it? ;D

BisonBacker
09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Here's the link.

The guy went 8-2 last week, lets see so far this year he's 10-1 in week 1. 6-3 in Week 2. 6-3 in week 3 and of course the 8-2 in week 4. I think he must know a thing or two about football. Must be one Dam smart architect.

Trimmy
09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh hey, don't know if anyone mentioned this...

Roadwarrior, Phil was talking about you on the Radio after the game. He said he would have to find you and see if this was the biggest win you have seen in your illustrious streak.

So, how does this rank vs. Montana and vs. National Championships for you?

Bisonfan1
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
First, thanks again to the Bison Faithful who showed me a great time at the tailgate in Fargo last weekend. *I came back to Boston with a glowing report about your hospitality, your university, and your football team.

I think this is a tougher game than many realize. *While I think NDSU didn't show much variety on offense last week, it really didn't need to. *Northeastern's D-line isn't big, and it's not that good.

I've been somewhat impressed by the Ball State offense, and expect them to be able to put points on the board. *The point spread kind of befuddles me, however.

Best of luck to you this week!!!

Glad to have had you there, as always the opposing teams fans are always welcome to tailgate with us, and im sure many other Bison fans are the same way. Good luck to Northeastern the rest of the year. (and by the way) how did your bloomin onions come out for you.

roadwarrior
09-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Oh hey, don't know if anyone mentioned this...

Roadwarrior, Phil was talking about you on the Radio after the game. *He said he would have to find you and see if this was the biggest win you have seen in your illustrious streak.

So, how does this rank vs. Montana and vs. National Championships for you?

I think the win over Montana was bigger because we all know that Montana is one of the powers in I-AA, whereas Ball State does not have the same standing in I-A.

Bison13
09-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Ball State Game is now available on all access! Just got done watching the WHOLE thing again! What a game!!!

NDSUstudent
09-29-2006, 04:40 AM
Ball State Game is now available on all access! Just got done watching the WHOLE thing again! What a game!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

coloradobison
09-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I know what I will be doing later today!!!!!! :) :)

broke_back_mnt
09-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Excellent, I had stopped looking!

SDbison
09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
How come the coaches shows never get updated on All Access? Only have the Sept 3rd and Sept 10th shows archived at this time.