PDA

View Full Version : NDSU win over Ball St = Gateway..MAC/WAC???

lakesbison
09-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Wday says, NDSU's big win is opening eyes.. GATEWAY COMMISSIONER (Pat S.....? WANTS US!!

She says.....NDSU is already on our radar.

NDSU will be courted by a major conference in division 1.. * MAC or WAC are 2 conferences where NDSU should be able to step in and play over .500 football next year in my opinion!!!

Hammerhead
09-27-2006, 03:52 AM
I kind of find that hard to believe after one win against a D1-A team. Did any conference invite us after beating Wisconsin in bball?

sway1331
09-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Did anyone catch her on I-AA Waves tonight? Did she mention anything about expansion?

Gamehunter
09-27-2006, 04:24 AM
I kind of find that hard to believe after one win against a D1-A team. Did any conference invite us after beating Wisconsin in bball?

actually, yeah...the Mid-Con did. :)

NDSUstudent
09-27-2006, 05:06 AM
This is interesting stuff because a few months ago on I-AA waves Patty V was quoted as saying NDSU and SDSU were out of the Gateway's footprint but now we are suddenly on their radar. Getting into the Gateway would be big because it would put us in the top I-AA league and give us a chance at the establishing some relationships within the MVC. I like the Great West but NDSU football needs to be in a confenernce where it can establish regional rivalries.

NDSUstudent
09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
In the Media blog Hallstrom gives a real indepth look into NDSU and the Gateway. Here is the link....

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=3686

broke_back_mnt
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
She didnt talk about expansion last nite.

roadwarrior
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
If Western Kentucky leaves the Gateway, everything changes for them. Just as things changed quickly for the Mid-Con after Valpo announced they are leaving.

RedRiver
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Wday says, NDSU's big win is opening eyes.. GATEWAY COMMISSIONER (Pat S.....? WANTS US!!

She says.....NDSU is already on our radar.

NDSU will be courted by a major conference in division 1.. * MAC or WAC are 2 conferences where NDSU should be able to step in and play over .500 football next year in my opinion!!!

I also heard the TV report last night on wday sports. The Gateway official said there is a good chance that WKU will be leaving and it could happen as soon as the 2007 season. The official also said that ideally the Gateway would be at 9 members which would require them to add two schools. Yes, NDSU & SDSU are allready on the radar screen of the conference. One issue of concern is location, because of increased travel costs. However, the Gateway wants to add strong football programs to help strengthen the conference and the NDSU win over Ball State does demonstrate to conference members the success of Bison football.

BisonBacker
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I think the thoughts of a Bus only conference will limit them to much if they truly want the best available teams in their conference. With that being said the Gateway schools are going to have to decide when its time for expansion if they want to continue to be a bus only league and get a patsy or forget about the bus only stipulation and get the best team available. If they choose the latter I think NDSU stands a great chance in the next 2 years to be offered the invite and will say in 2009 we will be playing as a member of the Gateway.

broke_back_mnt
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
That, IMHO, would be great, and is a real possibility. SDSU would go too. The GWFC would be ready to take the rest of the NCC move ups leaving it in good hands. Adding them to the GWFC might change the Mid Con landscape too.

Gamehunter
09-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Would they really want SDSU though? In all honesty, they have been less than impressive thus far in D1 football, especially this year. I know they are our rivals and helped ease the transition by moving up with us, but I don't think their football program is ready for the Gateway at this point. Maybe UND could be another option, but I doubt they will get a look for several years. I'm not so sure the Gateway will expand back to 8 schools.....should be kept at 7 or 9.

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2006, 02:42 PM
After WKY leaves the Gateway.....I would guess that the Gateway would be salivating like Pavlov's dog when they think about NDSU........The Big Sky will have egg all over their face from this....

RedRiver
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Would they really want SDSU though? *In all honesty, they have been less than impressive thus far in D1 football, especially this year. *I know they are our rivals and helped ease the transition by moving up with us, but I don't think their football program is ready for the Gateway at this point. *Maybe UND could be another option, but I doubt they will get a look for several years. *I'm not so sure the Gateway will expand back to 8 schools.....should be kept at 7 or 9.

The Gateway not only looks at the success of the football program but the university as well. That is why both NDSU & SDSU are on the radar screen, everyone knows how much the Mid-Con was impressed with BOTH schools. So that bodes well for both in a football only conference. The Gateway commish already has said that NDSU & SDSU are on the conference expansion radar screen and that 9 members would be ideal.

BisonBacker
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Would they really want SDSU though? *In all honesty, they have been less than impressive thus far in D1 football, especially this year. *I know they are our rivals and helped ease the transition by moving up with us, but I don't think their football program is ready for the Gateway at this point. *Maybe UND could be another option, but I doubt they will get a look for several years. *I'm not so sure the Gateway will expand back to 8 schools.....should be kept at 7 or 9.
I think the key here is that they want competitive teams not patsy's. Outside of the obvious loss to a DIII team SDSU has been a repectable team albeit I won't go so far as to say they are a power house but they certainly haven't been a doormat in every game. Playing Montana last year to the end of the game and coming out short a touchdown is a respectable showing. Going down South and competeing and beating some respectable strong teams on their own field also shows the program can compete. I believe they will look at both NDSU and SDSU and it's just a matter of time before we will be departing the GWFC and become members of the Gateway. Besides when you talk travel its not like this is an all sports conference where every team from each school has to make multiple trips each year. This is going to be an every other year type deal for them which is a much easier pill to swallow especially when your looking at adding the Best School in ND to your conference.

broke_back_mnt
09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Another thing, SDSU hasnt completetd their transition and arent up to their full scholarship plan yet. We moved faster. The jurys still out on how good they will be. My guess as dangerous as they were in the old NCC which should be good enough by anybodys standards.

Bison101
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Scenario: I believe NDSU and SDSU will get into the Gateway. If WKU has some early success in DI ball look for Youngstown to make the move as well. They have been close a couple times to making the move. If the Temple experiment fails with the MAC, watch out for YSU to make the move up. Then what, would the Gateway expand? The most logical name would be UND (Puke). If they change the name of the Gateway back to the MVC look for WSU to hurry up its process of bringing Football back. Could be interesting. The only other team in the Gateway that could possibly move up to DI is Illinois State as it is something their alumni wants and they have already announce plans for stadium renovation and expansion. On the letsgobears.com forum their is speculation that the MVC name change could come sooner than expected. There is even talk of a wholesale move of the conference to DIA ball. If this happens, wouldn't it be obvious to include NDSU and SDSU into the MVC for all sports and go to a 12 team basketball leauge and 8 team football leauge? A more likely scenario is that Drake and Evansville move on.

Now the above paragraph is full of speculation. Lots of it. The bottom line is NDSU in the gateway is a huge step in the right direction. If our basketball team continious its success, the sky is the limit for the Bison.

RedRiver
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the key here is that they want competitive teams not patsy's. *Outside of the obvious loss to a DIII team SDSU has been a repectable team albeit I won't go so far as to say they are a power house but they certainly haven't been a doormat in every game. *Playing Montana last year to the end of the game and coming out short a touchdown is a respectable showing. *Going down South and competeing and beating some respectable strong teams on their own field also shows the program can compete. *I believe they will look at both NDSU and SDSU and it's just a matter of time before we will be departing the GWFC and become members of the Gateway. *Besides when you talk travel its not like this is an all sports conference where every team from each school has to make multiple trips each year. *This is going to be an every other year type deal for them which is a much easier pill to swallow especially when your looking at adding the Best School in ND to your conference.

Good point about the travel.

Scooter
09-27-2006, 04:34 PM

SDSU is stronger than you think. *You have to remember, this is the same program that-
1. had Montana on the ropes last year,
2. beat UC Davis last year,
3. played N Iowa tough and were up 17-3 this year
4. Beat NDSU two years ago
5. Gave Georgia Southern all they wanted last year (G Southern made the playoffs)

I know that they had that shocking loss in the mud bowl at the start of the year, but they are getting better and there are 7 games left to play this year.

Do NOT overlook SDSU!!!

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 04:50 PM
1. I think that the Wisconsin win was huge for NDSU gaining admission to the Mid-Con. (I also think that this is relatively stupid.)

Mid-major conferences thrive on upsets, its the only national pr they get.

The Wisconsin win was a big national story, it resonated across the Big Ten landscape, the same one that the Mid-Con plays third fiddle in.

2. Beating Ball State was nowhere near the caliber of the upset of Wisconsin. It has solidified NDSUs place as one of the top programs in DI-AA.

It is the quality of the program as a whole that will garner the attention of the Gateway.

3. Just like with the Mid-Con (Big Sky) if the Gateway comes to Fargo to evaluate NDSU, the Bison are in. The institution is that impressive.

[And no, I didn't forget to take my medication, I'm still the same mildly pessimistic NDB.]

BisonBacker
09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
1. *I think that the Wisconsin win was huge for NDSU gaining admission to the Mid-Con. *(I also think that this is relatively stupid.)

Mid-major conferences thrive on upsets, its the only national pr they get. *

The Wisconsin win was a big national story, it resonated across the Big Ten landscape, the same one that the Mid-Con plays third fiddle in.

2. *Beating Ball State was nowhere near the caliber of the upset of Wisconsin. *It has solidified NDSUs place as one of the top programs in DI-AA.

It is the quality of the program as a whole that will garner the attention of the Gateway.

3. Just like with the Mid-Con (Big Sky) if the Gateway comes to Fargo to evaluate NDSU, the Bison are in. The institution is that impressive.

[And no, I didn't forget to take my medication, I'm still the same mildly pessimistic NDB.]

I agree 100%

Bisonguy
09-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Anybody remember when everyone was all gung-ho about the Big Sky, and the Gateway said they weren't interested in accepting any new members until "they paid their dues in DI"?

Maybe if WKU leaves, NDSU has "paid their dues" (i.e. become playoff eligible).

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Yet another good sign! :D

DIBISON
09-28-2006, 01:01 AM
PTS on 970AM is discussing Gateway Conference expansion with Steve Hallstrom and Gene Taylor tonight. Some good discussion going on.

Steve summarized his conversation with the Gateway Commissioner. The Gateway has a definite interest n the SUs and this opportunity could be a very real and strong possibility for the SUs as soon as 2008 or 2009. Also discussed was the fact that the Gateway has gotten multiple teams in the playoffs, even up to three teams. The Great West would likely only get one.

Gene talked about the future of the Great West and the committment to the league from NDSU. He said the Great West could be eligible for the autobid as soon as 2010 but that the NCAA still must vote on it.

Bisonguy
09-28-2006, 01:27 AM
The Gateway had four teams in the playoffs in 2003.

sambini
09-28-2006, 02:56 AM
1. *I think that the Wisconsin win was huge for NDSU gaining admission to the Mid-Con. *(I also think that this is relatively stupid.)

Mid-major conferences thrive on upsets, its the only national pr they get. *

2. *Beating Ball State was nowhere near the caliber of the upset of Wisconsin. *It has solidified NDSUs place as one of the top programs in DI-AA.

3. *Just like with the Mid-Con (Big Sky) if the Gateway comes to Fargo to evaluate NDSU, the Bison are in. *The institution is that impressive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RedRiver
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
PTS on 970AM is discussing Gateway Conference expansion with Steve Hallstrom and Gene Taylor tonight. *Some good discussion going on. *

Steve summarized his conversation with the Gateway Commissioner. *The Gateway has a definite interest n the SUs *and this opportunity could be a very real and strong possibility for the SUs as soon as 2008 or 2009. *Also discussed was the fact that the Gateway has gotten multiple teams in the playoffs, even up to three teams. *The Great West would likely only get one. *

Gene talked about the future of the Great West and the committment to the league from NDSU. *He said the Great West could be eligible for the autobid as soon as 2010 but that the NCAA still must vote on it.

I was surprised at the response of Gene to the Gateway consideration. He stated that NDSU's priority is the Great West and to help strengthen that conference. Com Douple of the Mid-Con is working on some plans for the Great West, including the addition of some existing IAA programs (not DII but existing IAA). They may also petition the NCAA to eliminate the two year wait before an autobid kicks in. Gene basically said that NDSU would not look to the Gateway unless the Great West had reductions in members and the foundation of the conference was shakey.

I don't see how NDSU could ignore the Gateway and the status of that league, the autobid, and opportunity for 2-3 other teams selected for the playoffs. I suppose it will all depend on what happens with the Great West in the near future.

NDSUguy
09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Taylor's comments bother me. I know that he has to be very careful with how he words his messages to the media. NDSU has been visionary in the move to D1. I would hate to have something like a "committment" to the GWFC take away our abilities to get in a GREAT football conference. We need to continue to be visionary so that there aren't any missed opportunities.

BisonBacker
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
PTS on 970AM is discussing Gateway Conference expansion with Steve Hallstrom and Gene Taylor tonight. *Some good discussion going on. *

Steve summarized his conversation with the Gateway Commissioner. *The Gateway has a definite interest n the SUs *and this opportunity could be a very real and strong possibility for the SUs as soon as 2008 or 2009. *Also discussed was the fact that the Gateway has gotten multiple teams in the playoffs, even up to three teams. *The Great West would likely only get one. *

Gene talked about the future of the Great West and the committment to the league from NDSU. *He said the Great West could be eligible for the autobid as soon as 2010 but that the NCAA still must vote on it.

I was surprised at the response of Gene to the Gateway consideration. He stated that NDSU's priority is the Great West and to help strengthen that conference. *Com Douple of the Mid-Con is working on some plans for the Great West, including the addition of some existing IAA programs (not DII but existing IAA). *They may also petition the NCAA to eliminate the two year wait before an autobid kicks in. *Gene basically said that NDSU would not look to the Gateway unless the Great West had reductions in members and the foundation of the conference was shakey. *

I don't see how NDSU could ignore the Gateway and the status of that league, the autobid, and opportunity for 2-3 other teams selected for the playoffs. *I suppose it will all depend on what happens with the Great West in the near future.

That response doesn't suprise me at all. Would not be smart for Gene to come out and say "yeah we want to move or are looking forward to being in the Gateway" considering Douple and the Mid-Con are now overseeing and managing the GWFC. Don't necessarily want to diss your new conference homw and the commish of that conference after you just joined. I am sure Douple would understand if NDSU was to recieve an offer from the Gateway that we would have to seriously consider it and everyone knows we'd take it in a heartbeat but you also have to repsect the GWFC and Douple. Saying anything different by Gene would be a huge PR blunder and he's smarter then that.

BearsCountry
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Your AD is being PC. Why come out and say the Great West is bad and we want it weaking if you are still in it, no need to do that in public.

By the way I think the _DSU's schools are going to be in the Gateway soon.

IowaBisonToo
09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Your AD is being PC. Why come out and say the Great West is bad and we want it weaking if you are still in it, no need to do that in public.

You beat me to it, Bears. This is exactly what I was going to say. Can you imagine Taylor going into an interview and saying, "Yeah, the Great West is fine. But, we want into the Gateway. That is where we belong." How is that going to look to Douple? How is that going to look to the rest of the GWFC team? You would lose friends in a quick hurry if you pulled something stupid like that. Taylor is playing the game. It's no different than if a Conf-USA team had the potential to go to the Big East (which has happened in the past). They're not going to come out and say, "Hey, the rest of you suck. We're going to the Big East." When the Big East comes calling, then they could say it's a better fit for us. But until then, you play dumb. Act like UND. Oh wait, this isn't the smack section. Sorry. ;)

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Ralph stopped by Bison Chat last night and he felt that xDSUs are probably too far west and north to get into the Gateway. *It will be interesting to watch.

Ralph also stated that as soon as the GWFC has a minimum of 6 elegible playoff teams that play for 2 years together, the GWFC can get an autobid. *Once the GWFC has that I think the only way NDSU would move conferences is if we were to go * DI-A.............

SDbison
09-28-2006, 02:54 PM

You beat me to it, Bears. *This is exactly what I was going to say. *Can you imagine Taylor going into an interview and saying, "Yeah, the Great West is fine. *But, we want into the Gateway. *That is where we belong." *How is that going to look to Douple? *How is that going to look to the rest of the GWFC team? *You would lose friends in a quick hurry if you pulled something stupid like that. *Taylor is playing the game. *It's no different than if a Conf-USA team had the potential to go to the Big East (which has happened in the past). *They're not going to come out and say, "Hey, the rest of you suck. *We're going to the Big East." *When the Big East comes calling, then they could say it's a better fit for us. *But until then, you play dumb. *Act like UND. *Oh wait, this isn't the smack section. *Sorry. ;)

And Douple has no idea right now that the Gateway is looking better to NDSU and SDSU every day? I believe Gene stated very clearly from the beginning that the Great West would be dropped if something better came along. All the members of the conference understood that. Gene needs to have a serious one on one discussion with Douple to help him understand. I think Douple already does.

BisonBacker
09-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Ralph stopped by Bison Chat last night and he felt that xDSUs are probably too far west and north to get into the Gateway. *It will be interesting to watch.

Ralph also stated that as soon as the GWFC has a minimum of 6 elegible playoff teams that play for 2 years together, the GWFC can get an autobid. *Once the GWFC has that I think the only way NDSU would move conferences is if we were to go * DI-A.............
I disagree with that, for one I don't see an autobid for the GWFC for quite some time (5+Years easy) and I won't base my hopes or dash them on what Ralph says. Not dissing him but if the comments by the reps from the gateway mean anything regarding looking for only the best to add I don't see them passing on NDSU. The window on the Gateway is only going to be open for a short period of time and I think NDSU and SDSU get in during that time.

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2006, 03:40 PM

I disagree with that, for one I don't see an autobid for the GWFC for quite some time (5+Years easy) and I won't base my hopes or dash them on what Ralph says. *Not dissing him but if the comments by the reps from the gateway mean anything regarding looking for only the best to add I don't see them passing on NDSU. * The window on the Gateway is only going to be open for a short period of time and I think NDSU and SDSU get in during that time.

I know what you are saying......the only way for the GWFC to speed the autobid process along is to get one or two existing and eligible I-AA programs to join. I don't have any idea who that would be... If we are waiting for UND and/or USD to fill that void, the wait will be very, very long as they are soooo far from being playoff eligible....

IowaBison
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
i don't care about the autobid

it would be nice to have additional teams for scheduling

the great west is indisputably one of the best conferences in I-AA, there is no way its conference champ would not make the playoffs.

if they were eligible, i could see three legitimate GWFC playoff teams this year.

RedRiver
09-28-2006, 03:54 PM

the great west is indisputably one of the best conferences in I-AA, there is no way its conference champ would not make the playoffs.

if they were eligible, i could see three legitimate GWFC playoff teams this year.

I don't especially if politics enters into the equation. A more established conference, i.e. Gateway maybe will get 3 teams and the Mid-Con will struggle to get any teams beyond the autobid. Why, because the conference is new and not as established, and the voters will probably go with a Gateway team before a Mid-Con (politics).

Scooter
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM

I don't especially if politics enters into the equation. *A more established conference, i.e. Gateway maybe will get 3 teams and the Mid-Con will struggle to get any teams beyond the autobid. *Why, because the conference is new and not as established, and the voters will probably go with a Gateway team before a Mid-Con (politics).

Red River, I think you meant Great west and not MidCon, however I agree with you on the politics issue. There is NO WAY that the Great West would get three teams into the playoffs. The powers out east would NEVER stand for it. It would be the autobid (if the GW ever gets one) and maybe one other at the MOST. Established conferences just have way to much pull in these matters.

IowaBison
09-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I disagree.

If the chips fell perfectly there could be 3 top 10 GWFC teams. If each team lost 1 conference game and the ndsu only lost one plus Minnesota, or if UC-D went undefeated, it would .

The playoff selection committee wouldn't pick the teams because they want to, they'd do it because they'd have to.

In 2003, the Gateway had four teams in the playoffs.

SDbison
09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Even though the Great West conference is currently a top conference and probably would continue to perform well, its original concept and most likely future is more of a patchwork than a foundation. Look at all the teams:
UC Davis......talk of going DI-A sometime down the road
Cal Poly.......have not heard of any plans, but they also might be looking at DI-A
SUU.......struggling program that may be getting better and would love to be in the Big Sky
NDSU and SDSU.......since now MidCon for most other sports the Big Sky is no longer a big deal, but the Gateway could be better. NDSU may also consider going DI-A sooner than expected if Gateway and Big Sky say distance is too big of a factor.
UND and maybe USD in a few years.......with all the other question marks how does just one or two more teams bring stability?

Bottom line, NDSU should do what is in the best interest of NDSU. All the other universities will do the same for themselves. With a lack of potential teams in the west /midwest the Great West is doomed. Sorry, I don't share the optimism of some posters here about the GWFC. IMO, The GWFC has more pitfalls than positives.

RedRiver
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I disagree.

If the chips fell perfectly there could be 3 top 10 GWFC teams. *If each team lost 1 conference game and the ndsu only lost one plus Minnesota, or if UC-D went undefeated, it would .

The playoff selection committee wouldn't pick the teams because they want to, they'd do it because they'd have to.

Any what happened to Cal-Poly last year during the selection process?

lakesbison
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Cal Schools = WAC

NDSU/SDSU = Gateway

SUU = Big Sky

Lets just start the process now. Get us in Gateway GENE!!

Face Facts.. as rosy as it seems, the Great West will split up. .and I for one, DO NOT want to be in Great West.. if the ALSO RANS of NCC start showing up.. ICK!

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 06:04 PM
As a member of the GWFC and Mid Con NDSU owes allegance to them. *I thought Dr. Taylors words were right on the mark. *He is not going to undermine the conference. *This is a waiting game. *We all learned that nothing happens until a move is made. *For us it was Valpo and Chicago State leaving the Mid Con. *The Mid Con hardly acknowledged our existance publicly before that.

Same thing here. *If WKU announces the move, and i think that comes in November, things will move quickly. *There is enough evidence when you read between the lines that they might come calling for the Mighty Land Grants.

The most important thing is the auto bid. *Coach Bohl and Taylor both have stated that. *That works for us in two ways. *It sends a signal to the GWFC management to find a way to get the auto bid as quickly as possible. *It also sends a signal to the Gateway that we would move for the auto bid. *

Its also a well know fact that the GWFC was created with the condition that the Great Land Grants could move without penalty. Any GWFC team can. *The Gateway knows we are available. *They dont have to say it outloud.

If we do go the GWFC will pick up all the NCC move ups and remain no worse off than they are now. *We would join our Mid Con partner Western Ill. in the Gateway.

Gamehunter
09-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I disagree.

If the chips fell perfectly there could be 3 top 10 GWFC teams. If each team lost 1 conference game and the ndsu only lost one plus Minnesota, or if UC-D went undefeated, it would .

They were granted an at-large bid to the playoffs

tcbison
09-28-2006, 06:26 PM
How many at-large bids are there?

NorthernBison
09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
8 at-large bids and 8 auto-bids.

Bison_Kent
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
There are eight auto and eight at-large bids for the I-AA playoffs. The at-large schools can be the non-conference winning schools or from any non-auto bid conference. The NCAA rules state that at least half of the playoff selection comes from the at-large bids so eight is as many auto bids that can be issued if 16 teams is still the number for the postseason.

Talk of playoff expansion has really not happened as most like the four week window for the playoffs from Thanksgiving weekend to about the weekend before Christmas. It works nicely as there is very little I-A action those weekends so I-AA gets the spotlight. If you extend the playoffs, that means the championship game would be the weekend of Christmas or you start the playoffs a week earlier.

I think 16 teams is the right number. It means the regular season means something.

IowaBison
09-28-2006, 08:41 PM

?

(Pretty sure you meant '04. They played a bunch of transitional DIIs.)

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
If Im reading BisonKent correctly, there will never be an auto bid for the GWFC if there isnt a rewrite of the rules?

Bisonguy
09-28-2006, 11:28 PM
If Im reading BisonKent correctly, there will never be an auto bid for the GWFC if there isnt a rewrite of the rules?

Autobids are voted on and awarded each and every year. Just because a conference had an autobid the previous year, does not mean they will get one the next.

DIBISON
09-28-2006, 11:56 PM
It is my understanding that the Great West is not even eligible for an auto-bid. As Gene said last night on PTS, if the Great West gets a waiver for the two year wait period, the soonest the GW would be eligible is 2010.

Bisonguy
09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
It is my understanding that the Great West is not even eligible for an auto-bid. *As Gene said last night on PTS, if the Great West gets a waiver for the two year wait period, the soonest the GW would be eligible is 2010.

Correct.

Step 1- get six playoff-eligible members in the GWFC.

rabidrabbit
09-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Autobid conferences will be selected from those conferences eligible for auto-bid (minimum of 6 fully eligible (2years after last transitional team added is play-off eligible) together for at least two years against other members). So, if no CURRENTLY eligible team joins, and GWFC waits til UND is eligible, 2014 first year that GWFC is ELIGIBLE for AUTO-BID.

To get that AUTO-BID, NCAA would need to select GWFC over other eligible conferences. Currently there are 8 conferences that are eligible and WANT to be in the play-offs. Other conferences are eligible, but choose NOT to be in the play-offs. These conferences are IVY, SWAC, Pioneer, NEC. The Big South, GWFC, and MAAC don't have sufficient numbers to be eligible.

A-10, SWAC, MEAC are at or just above 12 teams so could split an also compete for an autobid. Prior Play-off success is expected to be a dominant theme in which competing conferences get an autobid in a future year. So, for example, the MEAC, and the OVC may be the most suspetible to losing an autobid to a split A-10 or GWFC, assuming these conferences continue to be successful in WINNING in the play-offs.

DIBISON
09-29-2006, 02:15 AM
The stated goal of NDSU is to win a NC when they become eligible in 2008. To do that you first have to make the playoffs. It seems like the Gateway would provide more opportunities for teams to make the playoffs that the Great West ever will. So why wouldn't NDSU be interested in the Gateway?

Bisonguy
09-29-2006, 02:31 AM
NDSU would be interested in the Gateway.

The $64,000 question is whether or not the Gateway would invite NDSU. :-?

broke_back_mnt
09-29-2006, 02:47 AM
How are the eligible conferences selected? With eight like we have now, its easy, but what if nine conferences were eligible and seeking an auto bid? In that situation the auto bid is devalued year to year, because you never know if your conference will get one or not.

tony
09-29-2006, 01:10 PM
There are eight auto and eight at-large bids for the I-AA playoffs. *The at-large schools can be the non-conference winning schools or from any non-auto bid conference. *The NCAA rules state that at least half of the playoff selection comes from the at-large bids so eight is as many auto bids that can be issued if 16 teams is still the number for the postseason. *

Talk of playoff expansion has really not happened as most like the four week window for the playoffs from Thanksgiving weekend to about the weekend before Christmas. *It works nicely as there is very little I-A action those weekends so I-AA gets the spotlight. *If you extend the playoffs, that means the championship game would be the weekend of Christmas or you start the playoffs a week earlier. *

I think 16 teams is the right number. *It means the regular season means something.

If I wasn't swamped at work, this answer would go on a bisonville.com FAQ page.

mikelsch
09-29-2006, 07:40 PM
How are the eligible conferences selected? *With eight like we have now, its easy, but what if nine conferences were eligible and seeking an auto bid? *In that situation the auto bid is devalued year to year, because you never know if your conference will get one or not. *

It will take an act of God to wrestle away auto-bid status from an established conference. *Talk about red-tape and a political nightmare...lots of heated discussions and upset people. *

It doesn't matter how many new members join, there is no way the Great West will become an auto bid conference in the foreseeable future. *Jump to Gateway if offered; to much uncertainty and uncontrollable variables with the Great West's future. * *

sambini
09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hammersmith
09-29-2006, 10:45 PM
How are the eligible conferences selected? *With eight like we have now, its easy, but what if nine conferences were eligible and seeking an auto bid? *In that situation the auto bid is devalued year to year, because you never know if your conference will get one or not. *
From reading the NCAA bylaws, this is my understanding:

Each year in January, the Division I-AA Football Committee meets to conduct various business, including the allocation of the autobids. This committee is made up of eight members; two each from the four geographic regions. After the committee decides who gets the autobids, the list is forwarded to the NCAA Management Council for approval and to allow for appeals. In November, this same group selects the at-large bids. I believe they use a similar criteria for selecting the autobids as they do for the at-large bids: make a list of who is eligible per the bylaws and then select who they feel is most qualified. It's a subjective decision, and I don't know how political the committee is.

Currently, there are 12 conferences that could qualify for an autobid. One chooses not to participate in any postseason(Ivy), two have chosen to have their own championship game(Gridiron Classic) for the next two years(Pioneer & NEC), and one holds a championship between its two divisions(SWAC). That leaves the eight that currently have autobids. NEC has been trying to get an autobid for years, and will probably try again after their agreement with the Pioneer League ends. They have been adding scholarships, and there is talk that they are going to up their scholie limit again. They are currently at 30. Three conferences have only five members and are thus ineligible.

The current members of the Division I-AA Football Committee are(all are AD's):
*East: * * John P. Hardt * * * * * * *Bucknell University * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The Patriot League * * * * * * * * * *SEP 2007
* * * * * * **John F. McCutcheon * *University of Massachusetts, Amherst * *Atlantic 10 Conference * * * * * * *SEP 2009
*South: * Floyd Kerr * * * * * * * * * Morgan State University * * * * * * * * * * * * Mid-Eastern Athletic Conf. * * * * SEP 2010
* * * * * * * Warren Koegel * * * * * Coastal Carolina University * * * * * * * * * * Big South Conference * * * * * * * *SEP 2010
*Central: Donald L. Kaverman * Southeast Missouri State University * * * Ohio Valley Conference * * * * * * SEP 2008
* * * * * * * *Tim Van Alstine * * * * *Western Illinois University * * * * * * * * * * *Gateway Football Conference * *SEP 2009
*West: * *Bobby Williams * * * * * Sam Houston State University * * * * * * * *Southland Conference * * * * * * * SEP 2007
* * * * * * * Terry Wanless * * * * * * California State University, Sacramento *Big Sky Conference * * * * * * * * * SEP 2008

BearsCountry
09-30-2006, 02:11 AM
The A-10/CAA and AE thing is going to cause some problems with the autobid.

DIBISON
09-30-2006, 04:12 AM
[quote author=Greenie link=1159327740/45#57 date=1159558835
It will take an act of God to wrestle away auto-bid status from an established conference. *Talk about red-tape and a political nightmare...lots of heated discussions and upset people. *

It doesn't matter how many new members join, there is no way the Great West will become an auto bid conference in the foreseeable future. *Jump to Gateway if offered; to much uncertainty and uncontrollable variables with the Great West's future. * *[/quote]

Great post and I couldn't agree more. However, I have this feeling that NDSU is so committed to the Great West and Comm Douple of the Mid-Con that it may hinder a move to the Gateway. The autobid and other playoff opportunities from an established conference such as the Gateway cannot be passed up. It will be many years before the Great West can be at this same level.

Hammersmith
09-30-2006, 04:35 AM
The A-10/CAA and AE thing is going to cause some problems with the autobid.
I don't understand the AE comment, but(after a quick trip to wikipedia) I see what you mean about A-10. However, the bylaws don't say anything about the schools having to have played together in the same conference, only that they must have played together for the preceding two years. For those that don't know, this is the final year for the Atlantic-10 conference. Starting next year, the Colonial Athletic Association will be adding football. This caused a sequence of events to occur that will collape the A-10. The CAA will initially include all of the 12 A-10 schools, then add Old Dominion in 2009, and possibly George Mason, Georgia State and UNC-W at a later date if they decide to add football. The autobid should transfer over, since the CAA will have more than 6 schools and they all have played together for more than two years. What name they played under shouldn't matter. Of course, this assumes that they are going to determine their champion via a single round-robin competition within the two divisions and that they get their formula for the conference champion approved by the Football Committee as per 31.3.4.1.e.

God, I need to get my head out of that damnable NCAA manual.

I just realized; by AE, do you mean automatic eligiblity?

BisonBacker
09-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Great post and I couldn't agree more. However, I have this feeling that NDSU is so committed to the Great West and Comm Douple of the Mid-Con that it may hinder a move to the Gateway. The autobid and other playoff opportunities from an established conference such as the Gateway cannot be passed up. It will be many years before the Great West can be at this same level.

I completely disagree with this assesment. Chapman and Taylor have not led us in the wrong direction and I believe they will make the right choice if and when that time comes. They have time after time commented on how important the established conference and conference with an autobid for football is needed for NDSU that if the Gateway was to move and an offer was extended there is no way they would turn it down. These men are way to smart for that.

DIBISON
09-30-2006, 05:02 AM
I never said that they lead the Bison in the wrong direction.

If you read my post I said I am concerned about NDSU's commitment to the Great West and how that may interfere with a possible move to a better conference, the Gateway.

This is all based on the comments of Taylor on PTS the other night when he basically said it was Great West and nothing else.

I agree that Chapman and Taylor will make the right decision, but their must be input from those that support the program.