PDA

View Full Version : 2008 UNI Game

tony
09-23-2014, 01:14 PM
I went to the 2008 UNI game with three of my college buddies and was very disappointed to see NDSU get rocked (although NDSU won the tailgate :)) However, looking back NDSU was actually as competitive as Montana was with NDSU last Saturday. Lots of similarities (including that both teams lost to Wyoming earlier in their seasons.)

2008 NDSU v UNI score: 13-23
2014 Montana v NDSU: 10-22

2008 Yards Rushing: 99 v 102 (NDSU's number first)
2014 Yards Rushing: 68 v 280 (Montana's number first)

2008 Total Offense: 227 v 258
2014 Total Offense: 256 v 447

Am I right that the consensus about that 2008 game was that UNI dominated NDSU?

Of course, there are some other major differences: NDSU was -4 in turnovers in the 2008 game and the defense held UNI to 41 total yards and no points in the second half so we had some small reason to hope (although it turned out to be a false hope since the next two games weren't much better.) I suppose Montana has more hope in a rematch though because they have much better QB play (his passes when he was in the midst of being blindsided were as accurate as any we saw back then) and they have 10x the big play ability on offense that NDSU had back then. Still, I don't think that Montana matches up very well.

Here's the GDT from from 2008: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14212-NDSU-UNI-Gameday-Thread

Gully
09-23-2014, 01:22 PM
I went to the 2008 UNI game with three of my college buddies and was very disappointed to see NDSU get rocked (although NDSU won the tailgate :)) However, looking back NDSU was actually as competitive as Montana was with NDSU last Saturday. Lots of similarities (including that both teams lost to Wyoming earlier in their seasons.)

2008 NDSU v UNI score: 13-23
2014 Montana v NDSU: 10-22

2008 Yards Rushing: 99 v 102 (NDSU's number first)
2014 Yards Rushing: 68 v 280 (Montana's number first)

2008 Total Offense: 227 v 258
2014 Total Offense: 256 v 447

Am I right that the consensus about that 2008 game was that UNI dominated NDSU?

Of course, there are some other major differences: NDSU was -4 in turnovers in the 2008 game and the defense held UNI to 41 total yards and no points in the second half so we had some small reason to hope (although it turned out to be a false hope since the next two games weren't much better.) I suppose Montana has more hope in a rematch though because they have much better QB play (his passes when he was in the midst of being blindsided were as accurate as any we saw back then) and they have 10x the big play ability on offense that NDSU had back then. Still, I don't think that Montana matches up very well.

Here's the GDT from from 2008: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14212-NDSU-UNI-Gameday-Thread

You are correct. I remember thinking we got dominated and were very lucky to have kept the score somewhat close.

NDSU_grad
09-23-2014, 01:28 PM
It felt like we lost that game by 40 points. At no point during the course of that game did I think we could win.

Snowgoose
09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't know if I would say ten times the big play ability as we still did have Roehl that year albeit he was a little banged up. I think we could have done well that year if we didn't struggle with injuries and also have a few significant plays go the other way as we had lots of close losses that year in the valley (ie Wyoming game we had like 3 passes by sure handed individuals dropped that may have made us the victors in that game).

I have never bought into we were dominated when we first go into the valley stuff because of 08 and 09. Bohl was just good at coach speak sometimes and his biggest mistake wasn't necessarily our lines but rather our weak depth at QB. We just didn't have a QB and had lost lots of great talent from 07 to 08 that was hard to replace.

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2014, 01:36 PM
It felt like we lost that game by 40 points. At no point during the course of that game did I think we could win.

I kind of had that same feeling. I was also there. Terrible seats and a disappointing game.

StL Bison Fan
09-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Where most cite the MT game as telling us we belonged. That UNI game told us we had work to do to belong.
It was a loss on the field but a win in changes off the field as far as recruiting big linemen. The off field antics also had to be straightened out. Recruit good players with better values.
But yes, we did win the tailgate!

thundarsdaddy
09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Where most cite the MT game as telling us we belonged. That UNI game told us we had work to do to belong.
It was a loss on the field but a win in changes off the field as far as recruiting big linemen. The off field antics also had to be straightened out. Recruit good players with better values.
But yes, we did win the tailgate!

Very well said...especially about "the off field antics"!

In a sense(I know I will get ripped for saying this but here goes), that loss set a tone for every Bison Team after that....to play as a team and respect each other as a team, both on and off the field. It takes adversity to build winners...maybe that was the adversity the program needed.

El_Chapo
09-24-2014, 04:43 AM
We took over that UNI tailgate scene, they had no idea what to do with 2000-2500 NDSU fans, shoved us all in the south, it was a virtual home game out there!

Jay
09-24-2014, 04:50 AM
My car got broke into in uptown MSP the Friday night before. Terrible trip all around.

North Side
09-24-2014, 04:59 AM
MT has a better QB than we did in 2008. Man that 2008 game sucked...

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2014, 12:07 PM
I was at that game too. I thought the Bison looked just flat and awful.

G_Funky
09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Funny thing about this - I remember in 2008 so many people saying we gave the top dog in the conference a run for their money blah blah blah...Im sitting there thinking did you even watch the game? We played like complete ass and should have lost by 3+ touchdowns.

Fast forward to yesterday - I was talking with a guy on the USD strength staff and the first words out of his mouth were "Man, the Griz gave NDSU a run for their money" Im sitting there thinking did you even watch the game? NDSU kicked their ass and should have won by 3+ touchdowns.

semobison
09-24-2014, 12:45 PM
I remember our first few go arounds with UNI in the Valley. Offensively, we were not able to cope with that kind of defensive speed. Wasn't it the 09 game where we were sacked 10 times and had negative yards rushing.

Bison Bridge Guy
09-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I remember our first few go arounds with UNI in the Valley. Offensively, we were not able to cope with that kind of defensive speed. Wasn't it the 09 game where we were sacked 10 times and had negative yards rushing.

This is what I remember from our first couple years in the Valley. Other teams were much faster (not just UNI - everyone seemed faster). After a few years, we developed the speed needed to compete and win. I remember reading something from Coach Kramer that you can coach speed, it's not all just natural (e.g. southern speed :biggrin:). Which he clearly does very well.

bisonmike2
09-24-2014, 03:16 PM
I remember feeling that UNI was in control the entire game and at no point did we threaten to change the outcome. But because of the score, after the game I remember sounding alot like some of the Montana fans on Egriz. "We went toe-to-toe with them. A play here and there and we win! We'll get them next time!"

tony
09-24-2014, 03:31 PM
I remember feeling that UNI was in control the entire game and at no point did we threaten to change the outcome. But because of the score, after the game I remember sounding alot like some of the Montana fans on Egriz. "We went toe-to-toe with them. A play here and there and we win! We'll get them next time!"

Also would have accepted, "Don't turn the ball over five times and we win."

But the real problem I remember from that game is that UNI seemed to moving the ball at will in the first half. We were lucky that UNI didn't score 35 in the first half.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-24-2014, 05:11 PM
This thread is bringing back so many bad memories.

X-Factor
09-24-2014, 07:47 PM
But you look at the stats and easily conclude that we dominated the grizz way more than UNI did us

X-Factor
09-24-2014, 07:49 PM
I just don't wanna think about that sack record set at the UNI game, however! I'd love to see Emanuel get even for his senior year with Kollmorgan on the blunt end

bisoningrandforks
09-25-2014, 12:25 AM
just a hunch!....I think we will beat UNI in a close one,( most think we will lose that one) lose at Missery ST the next week.......and MAYBE one other. 10-2 or 11-1......OK with 2 weeks off I am bored already.....2008 against UNI was a wake up call!

Rock
09-25-2014, 03:22 AM
After Montana I thought about floating a new term for that type of game: Slowout. Think it had application in the 2008 UNI game. Similar to a blowout for the chances of the other team getting back into it, but controlled by defense and slowed pace instead of being up by 4 Tds.

Think of a boa constrictor slowly strangling a pig. Yeah the pig MIGHT make it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyPanth
09-25-2014, 11:55 AM
We took over that UNI tailgate scene, they had no idea what to do with 2000-2500 NDSU fans, shoved us all in the south, it was a virtual home game out there!

Tailgating seems to be improving at UNI. Looking forward to being there and seeing some of you again.

northerniowadave
09-28-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't think UNI dominated so much as NDSU just didn't have good passer. I remember being impressed with the defense. Stick one of your QB's before or after, the Bison would have been a playoff team. I just find it sad for Griz fans that they are relegated to "hung in there with" status.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk