PDA

View Full Version : 3 running back / wishbone formation

HerdBot
09-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Gotta say I love seeing Crockett, Frazier , and Morock in the backfield. Its totally bad ass and very Bison like. 3 big strong backs. Who knows some day well see a pitch thrown in. Most people get excited about spread offenses. Love this shit.

NDSUBowler
09-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Man, I LOVED seeing all 3 of them lined up out there. An awesome wrinkle that could be fun during this season.

We are so lucky to have 3 HIGH quality backs that we are able to run that formation and feel confidant with whoever gets the ball...has to be scary to see as a defense!

HerdBot
09-23-2014, 05:34 AM
Man, I LOVED seeing all 3 of them lined up out there. An awesome wrinkle that could be fun during this season.

We are so lucky to have 3 HIGH quality backs that we are able to run that formation and feel confidant with whoever gets the ball...has to be scary to see as a defense!

Love how were using our backs as receivers too. Had no idea Morlock and Frazier can be so good as receivers

El_Chapo
09-23-2014, 05:55 AM
The ol WING T or Pistol.

Don't know why the hell we even stopped it drove them nuts!

TransAmBison
09-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Looks like Sam Houston's wild-bearkat.

EagleBison
09-23-2014, 11:42 AM
When I saw the the Trips, I was thinking Nebraska/Oklahoma, Tom Osborne/Barry Switzer, but Bohl was not on the sidelines.

Bison03
09-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Kileman stated that if teams have to know scheme for this formation, that's less time they can focus on something else, all good things. I loved this formation. The bread and butter of our running game has always been pulling a guard and having a fullback lead the way. I like this ne wrinkle. The defense has no idea which back is getting the ball or which way they are going. Then when one does get the ball, their are 2 other backs in front leading the way to block. Not sure how many times we ran it Saturday, but it seemed to work well every time. I'm going to call it the "Herd Formation" since the RB's run together and stampede anyone in their way.

Herd12
09-23-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd really like to see them run a deep corner-post to Vraa out of that set too. run it twice first and then set up the long ball over the middle.

runtheoption
09-23-2014, 02:03 PM
I'd really like to see them run a deep corner-post to Vraa out of that set too. run it twice first and then set up the long ball over the middle.Coach Babich?

run the option...run the damn ball

Herd12
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Coach Babich?

run the option...run the damn ball

Not in succession. I mean use that formation twice, run the ball twice, and the 3rd (or 4th whatever) time fake going left roll right and hit a deep corner-post to 82.

gumby013
09-23-2014, 02:43 PM
I'd really like to see them run a deep corner-post to Vraa out of that set too. run it twice first and then set up the long ball over the middle.

The way they had the formation, the slot receiver was covered. Vraa would be the only eligible wide out. Montana still had a DB on the slot though. Not a bad idea

BisonNation11
09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Love this formation. There are so many opportunities from it. You can run it like we did Saturday and use the other two RB's as blockers. You could have 2 go one way and 1 go the other way in a multitude of combinations. You could use all 3 as blockers for Wentz. You could have all 3 go one direction, Wentz roll out the opposite as a TE slides across the middle or a WR comes across with Wentz. You can use the 3 as WR. You could fake a hand off to one going one way and throw a screen back the other way. I still don't think I've covered half the possibilities they can use in this formation. I shall call this formation "Beast Mode"

EC8CH
09-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I think this formation is well suited to get Morlock onto the field. He is a threat as a ball carrier and also a very good lead blocker.

Herd12
09-23-2014, 06:34 PM
The way they had the formation, the slot receiver was covered. Vraa would be the only eligible wide out. Montana still had a DB on the slot though. Not a bad idea

OK, this is what I'm talking about, just so I'm 100% clear:

Vraa would almost certainly be in a footrace with the free safety to the post. How hard the safety bit on the run fake would determine whether it's a TD to Vraa or Carson flips it to the TE or runs for it.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-23-2014, 06:37 PM
OK, this is what I'm talking about, just so I'm 100% clear:

Vraa would almost certainly be in a footrace with the free safety to the post. How hard the safety bit on the run fake would determine whether it's a TD to Vraa or Carson flips it to the TE or runs for it.

Who's going to block the left DE?

El_Chapo
09-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Tommy like wingy!!

Wing t baby!!

Herd12
09-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Who's going to block the left DE?

The RT. Play is screwed if strong side DE doesn't bite at least a little on the run fake, but that's the case with a very high percentage of our PA pass plays. Also the tight end is run blocking the left DE before releasing for his route, another staple of our base offense. (which is admittedly poorly represented in that 2 minute sketch of a "shot" passing play on Paint.

gumby013
09-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Tackle eligible out of the formation would be fun. And the slot receiver could play dead like Arkansas State.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/P-Bone.png

NDSU_grad
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Tackle eligible out of the formation would be fun. And the slot receiver could play dead like Arkansas State.

Quick rules question. Can the inside receiver lined up on the line catch a forward pass if he catches it behind the line of scrimmage?

bisonboone11
09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Quick rules question. Can the inside receiver lined up on the line catch a forward pass if he catches it behind the line of scrimmage?
I'm almost positive that he cannot. I don't think it matters if the pass is caught behind or beyond the line of scrimmage.

gumby013
09-25-2014, 03:22 PM

No...he can block and take a hand off, that's about it.

Or play dead.

TateMosersneighbor
09-25-2014, 03:38 PM
This formation only works if we are in the FBS. It's clear that the level of athletes we have right now can not make this formation work well. If we build a 40,000 seat stadium on campus, sell beer, have naked cheerleaders (that are screened by Bisonville members), improve the introduction video, fire Klieman and all his rag-tag staff and perhaps one day get good enough to see something like ESPN come to Fargo 3X in a row...then this formation might work. Otherwise it's crap and I refuse to watch the end result.

Also, this thread is addressing an actual football related topic, so can we immediately start talking about stupid shit or lock it down? Thank you.

thundarsdaddy
09-25-2014, 03:45 PM
These three running backs, all really good, are together in a photo taken by Rock. Find it in the FB catagory, Montana photo's thread...its a wonderful photo, with Frazier carrying the ball...Crockett and Morlock out in front looking for someone to knock down...classic pic!! Go take a look!

semobison
09-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Great pic! You can almost see the confusion of the Griz defense by the body language shown in the photo!

NDSU_grad
09-25-2014, 05:52 PM

Or play dead.

I didn't think so. But he should be able to catch a lateral, correct? It's just a long hand-off. What I'm getting at is just because he's an ineligible receiver, the defense still has to send a guy out to cover him, don't they?

BlueBisonRock
09-25-2014, 06:03 PM
These three running backs, all really good, are together in a photo taken by Rock. Find it in the FB catagory, Montana photo's thread...its a wonderful photo, with Frazier carrying the ball...Crockett and Morlock out in front looking for someone to knock down...classic pic!! Go take a look!

Thanks ThundarD!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/rjehni/2014%20Bison%20Football/U%20Montana/DSC_9627_zpsbfdbf664.jpg

bisonboone11
09-25-2014, 06:15 PM
I didn't think so. But he should be able to catch a lateral, correct? It's just a long hand-off. What I'm getting at is just because he's an ineligible receiver, the defense still has to send a guy out to cover him, don't they?
Yeah, a lateral would be legal.

totoinfl
09-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Actually they can take a lateral as well...just that it is a live ball if dropped. Also if they do a half back pitch to half back pass, I think the slot becomes eligible once the ball is out of the QB's hands.

Or play dead.

totoinfl
09-25-2014, 06:26 PM
What...how many FCS championships did Georgia Southern win running the spread option? The offense is predicated on smart, assignment football and absolute trust among the skill players. If the QB puts the A backs in position to get hammered when there is a pitch...it stops working. If the B back drops handoffs....it stops working. If the QB can not efficiently read the defense on the fly, it stops working.

bisonaudit
09-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Actually they can take a lateral as well...just that it is a live ball if dropped. Also if they do a half back pitch to half back pass, I think the slot becomes eligible once the ball is out of the QB's hands.

I lateral and a handoff are the same thing, 2 players exchanging the ball backward or sideways.

I don't think it matters who throws a forward pass, you're either eligible or you're not, until the forward pass is touched by an eligible receiver or a defender.

89MTBISON
09-25-2014, 07:35 PM
I lateral and a handoff are the same thing, 2 players exchanging the ball backward or sideways.

I don't think it matters who throws a forward pass, you're either eligible or you're not, until the forward pass is touched by an eligible receiver or a defender.

^^^This, either eligible to receive or not. Doesn't matter who has or does not have/had the ball. Has to do with position ie covered or not, and jersey number. Remember Hardy's TD catch against SHSU in the 2nd champ game.

Bisonator98
09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
How about have Carson fake it to the back going left then give it to Vraa coming back right and Vraa throws it deep to Crockett down the left side?:biggrin:

NovaBison
10-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Since nobody has posted this yet:

http://www.inforum.com/content/bison-make-most-three-productive-rbs-playing-them-together

Should be interesting to see how this develops

Bison"FANatic"
10-02-2014, 02:15 PM
30 Machines, nice name!!!!!!

gumby013
10-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Here was the second time we ran that formation. The deep safety is much wider to the side the play was ran. Still didn't help.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/3BN2.png

tony
10-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Didn't Rocky toss in an inverted bone formation a couple years? Doubt our QB was in the shotgun for it though.

aces1180
10-02-2014, 02:30 PM
I need to see the all-22 film!

CAS4127
10-02-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.inforum.com/content/bison-make-most-three-productive-rbs-playing-them-together

Edit: Whoops--got beat to the punch. Sorry.

I'll add this tho, I am not all that keen on throwing a bunch of new stuff out there when we can win with our base offense.

I recall a reporter interviewing my head coach in football after we curb stomped Thief River Falls and asking him if he ever got concerned about other teams knowing what his/our offense is doing given that he/Mahnomen had run the same offense for 15 odd years by that time.

His response: "I just want to make DAMN sure OUR KIDS know what they are doing?!!! Gotta love that response!!

BisonNation11
10-02-2014, 03:12 PM

I'll add this tho, I am not all that keen on throwing a bunch of new stuff out there when we can win with our base offense.

I recall a reporter interviewing my head coach in football after we curb stomped Thief River Falls and asking him if he ever got concerned about other teams knowing what his/our offense is doing given that he/Mahnomen had run the same offense for 15 odd years by that time.

His response: "I just want to make DAMN sure OUR KIDS know what they are doing?!!! Gotta love that response!!

I agree with you CAS. Bison football has been about doing the little things right. If that means lining up with the defense knowing what's coming, you still outperform them and do your job. It's been the success of the last 3 years. However, there has been wrinkles thrown in to give teams something to think about and I don't think they get added unless the coaching staff knows the kids can run it to near perfection. I like this new wrinkle. It's not flashy. It won't make most people go "Oooo and ahhh", but for us, I think it's awesome. We get our playmakers in the game, odds are we're still running the ball, and it has the ability to break the game open with a big play. My only concern is with two of the RB's blocking/lead blocking, it gives more opportunity to getting injured. I like it and can't wait to see what it brings.

BYZEN
10-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Since nobody has posted this yet:

Should be interesting to see how this develops

so....is it just a coincidence that a UN_ ad is at the end of this article??? I think not 😒

Bison"FANatic"
10-02-2014, 03:18 PM
It is one more thing for the opposing D to have to scheme for though, thus using up practice time and prep and film room time.

CAS4127
10-02-2014, 03:26 PM
It is one more thing for the opposing D to have to scheme for though, thus using up practice time and prep and film room time.

And one more thing our offense has to spend time on, thus using up practice time and prep that would otherwise be spent on our base O against opposition's D.

It's like the sports media telling us the Vikings are the first team this year to pass for more than 300 yards and rush for more than 200 yards in a game. Well, then I guess Atlanta is the first team to allow another team to do so, right?!

Bison"FANatic"
10-02-2014, 03:35 PM
And one more thing our offense has to spend time on, thus using up practice time and prep that would otherwise be spent on our base O against opposition's D.

It's like the sports media telling us the Vikings are the first team this year to pass for more than 300 yards and rush for more than 200 yards in a game. Well, then I guess Atlanta is the first team to allow another team to do so, right?!

I will take that switch with how well our O is ingrained in these guys. We practice it week in and week out, the opposing D has a week to figure it out.

bisonaudit
10-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes, it's time on both sides away from the base, but at the same time I don't think you see this out of NDSU if they don't have three combo backs that are all 6'0" 215 give or take. They're not quite the size of Zenner or Johnson but they're each a potent package of speed and power.

EC8CH
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I like it. Seems to be a great way to get the greatest number of Bison offensive playmakers on the field. Last year with Ryan Smith there was a running threat with the slot back. This year there is more talent with the running backs so why not run a formation that gets them all on the field. Great adjustment to best utilize where the talent is this year.

...maybe Coop can come back and they can run a reverse off of it

BisonNeil
10-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I remember back in the Hager days they interviewed an OL, can't remember who, and Eddie said it looked like they ran the same play over and over. The OL said that was true and that they ran the same play 23 times in a row and loved doing that. He also said when they came to the line they told the opposing defense we are going to run the same play, see if you can stop it this time. It basically took until the 23rd time over three possessions before they did. I love this type of approach, I really do.

JDZ
10-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I went to a high school game here in Texas last week. One of the top ranked teams in their division ran the three-back formation. Only they ran it with two tight ends and nobody wide. They used that formation for all but maybe 4 or 5 plays all game. They ran what looked like about 4 different plays from that formation all game and for the most part, the defense couldn't stop them.

bisonboone11
10-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Maybe we should just have one run play and one pass play so we don't waste practice time. :hide:

56BISON73
10-02-2014, 08:29 PM
This formation has been shown in a couple of games each year the last 3-4 years.

CAS4127
10-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Maybe we should just have one run play and one pass play so we don't waste practice time. :hide:

I assume you recall that Vigen has left for Wyoming????:hide:

56BISON73
10-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I assume you recall that Vigen has left for Wyoming????:hide:

:rofl::rofl:

NDSUstudent
10-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I loved seeing this formation, I was waiting for Polasek to break out some of the things he saw at NIU. I think there is a lot more we can do out of it, can't wait to see what else Polasek has in store for us.

Bison Backer
10-07-2014, 11:15 AM
There is a set of identical twins (Grand Forks natives) who are Wing-T running backs down in the Florida Keys. Since the beginning of last season, a span of 15 games, they have combined for 3242 yards on just 293 carries (11.1 avg.) and 30 TD. They were the top 2 Class 4A rushers last year in Metro Miami and this season, through 6 games, George leads all 8 classes (1A-8A) with 804 yards on 68 carries and 9 TD. Their best 40 times are 4.46 and 4.57; in track, they have posted 100 times of 10.89 and 11.09. 3.0+ GPAs too. They also have OLB experience and possess the skill set to play DB, FS or SS at the next level. Their goal? Return home and play D1 football somewhere in North Dakota beginning next year. Take a look:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1684157/highlights
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1684156/highlights

NorthernBison
10-07-2014, 12:53 PM
This formation has been shown in a couple of games each year the last 3-4 years.
Yeah. A common mistake most fans make is they only consider HALF of the equation when thinking about the playbook. Plenty of formations and certain plays are run "just to get them on film". I hear fans complain about "giving away" a trick play too early in the season. What they don't consider is that every formation has multiple options and extra wrinkles that can be used. Forcing an opponent to consider not only what they have seen on film but also the possible variations AND THEN PREPARE FOR IT is a big deal.

ndsubison1
10-08-2014, 07:31 AM
I loved seeing this formation, I was waiting for Polasek to break out some of the things he saw at NIU. I think there is a lot more we can do out of it, can't wait to see what else Polasek has in store for us.

A lot of options you can do out of it. Ive seen this formation quite a bit from spread teams.