PDA

View Full Version : Stephen F. Austin

virgfoss
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
SFA is 0-4.
Two weeks ago they played at Arizona and lost 28-10 even though it was a 14-10 game in the 4th quarter. The Lumberjacks have some athletes and did have 500 yards of total offense in their loss to C.Arkansas. Looks like they average about 6-7,000 a game for attendance.

Can't be overlooking these guys.

No_Skill
09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Yep, it's time to look ahead to the next game. Here is one of their fan message boards.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sfalumberjacks/messages

BisonBacker
09-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I've been checking that message board. That is one dead message board. YAWN :o

No_Skill
09-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like they have much to talk about other than the standard "New Coach Candidates". Looks like they've been averaging about 7,000 at the games. Should be a nice quiet game.

sambini
09-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Bring on the competion+++++

Bisonguy
09-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I've seen 7,000 in the Fargodome, and it was one of the loudest crowds in the FFD, ever.

SFA will not roll over for the Bison. NDSU will need a good performance to avoid the letdown, and keep the mo going.

Big_BisonFan
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Who is all going to the game? My buddy who lives in Dallas and I are driving down on Saturday. Can't wait to get there.

Game thoughts: We should have our way with the Jacks, but we can't overlook them.

Bison49
09-25-2006, 01:22 AM
The Alumni Association is hosting a pre-game party outside of the stadium. *Information at www.ndsualumni.com.

roadwarrior
09-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Weather forecast for Nacogdoches for sat sep 30th.

Sunny and high of 82.

Game time 6pm.

Should be a beautiful evening in Texas!

GO BISON!

sambini
09-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Have a good trip Road. And Bill S and I will see you at GEORGIA SOUTHERN>

Bison13
09-25-2006, 04:27 AM
What are the chances that SFA or GS have internet feeds the bison all access can pick up?

TheDoctor
09-25-2006, 04:31 AM
What are the chances that SFA or GS have internet feeds the bison all access can pick up?

++++++++++++++++ That would be great!

TransAmBison
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
I think Georgia Southern has an internet feed. On a side note, I think this will be a true test of the Bison character. After watching all the celebration after the game and all that followed, I can only guess how much emotion was poured into this game. It will show a lot of character to bounce back and take it to Stephen Austin without a let down.

Bison13
09-25-2006, 01:27 PM
About coaches exchanging tapes. Is it only the previous game that they are able to disect and watch? Or is it the whole season? For example: Does the SFA coach just get the tape for Ball State or does he get Ball State, NE and CSP?

NDSUguy
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Who is all going to the game? My buddy who lives in Dallas and I are driving down on Saturday. Can't wait to get there.

Game thoughts: We should have our way with the Jacks, but we can't overlook them.

Hey Big_BisonFan... What is your picture attached to your name of? Is this picture available in a bigger format somewhere on the web?

No_Skill
09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
If I were coach Bohl this week, I would use Montana St. as an example. Week 1 they beat DI-A Colorado at Colorado and followed it up by losing to DII Chadron St. at home. Ball St. is no Colorado and SFA is certainly no Chadron St.

lumberjack85
09-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Bison Fans - Here's a few things regarding SFA. The board is slow because we are in process of building a new one. It is being modeled after Bisonville.com.

Facts: Stephen F. Austin, Enrollment Fall 2006 12,000. Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates (Forestry and Education).
Approximately 10,300 undergrads and 1,700 grad students. Famous Alumni - Bill Owens Governor of Colorado, Bill Gaston owner of the Boston Celtics. Bum Phillips former NFL coach. Rodney Crowell Country Singer/Song Writer.
Forestry and Physical Sciences are considered an area of strength for SFA. Also has a strong Business/Accounting School.

Prior to 2005 SFA had winning season in 10 of the previous 11. During that time they made it to the national semifinals. Lost to Montana. In those years SFA typically averaged about 10,000 in attendance. You will be visiting on "Parents Weekend" an annual event. Attendance for those games typically average about 10,000. Homer Bryce Stadium has a very robust tailgating section just east of the stadium. Tailgating typically begins around 1:00. My wife is a UND grad so she will be there to cheer on the Lumberjacks. Our tailgating spot will be right across from the bridge that leads to the dormitory parking lot next to the stadium. You are welcome to join us around 2:00.

This team: New coach lots of JUCO's and Div1a transfers. Not a good X's and O's guys may only be around till the end of this year. Team did play well against Arizona in the second game but has otherwise been ineffective. I would like to see us put up a good fight but not likely our defense is horrible!

SFA has had a strong mens basketball team in the past few years and almost made it to the NCAA's in 2003.

NoDakSt
09-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info lumberjack!! I've worked at a Big Sky school for the past 14 years (E. Wash) so I am familiar with the history of SFA and its gridiron successes. With all that great tradition, starting out 0-4 is a new experience and I think one that makes your team desperate, and very dangerous. I expect to see a very hard fought contest. Bison have to be ready to get it done on the road.

WYOBISONMAN
09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
The Alumni Association is hosting a pre-game party outside of the stadium. *Information at www.ndsualumni.com.

Having attended several of these, I reccomend hitting this. It is always well done by the Alumni Association and it is a great place to talk about all things NDSU!

NDSU_grad
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM

My wife is a UND grad so she will be there to cheer on the Lumberjacks. *

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. ;)

BisonBacker
09-25-2006, 10:47 PM

My wife is a UND grad so she will be there to cheer on the Lumberjacks. * *

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. *;)
You took the words right out of my mouth ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bisonips
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Am I reading this right? SFA's starting running back Louie Runnels is 250 lbs? This guy outweighs his fullback by about 30 lbs. Does this guy pack any speed with his size?

lumberjack85
09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Runnels is a big fellow and he is probably the only bright spot for the Lumberjacks. NDSU Alumni in Texas, visit 3T Tailgating at Lumberjack Alley between 3:00 and 5:30. There will be plenty of adult beverages.

OH yeah... sometimes I am sorry about my wife also!

sambini
09-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Welcome Lumberjack to Bisonville+++++++++

Till
09-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Famous Alumni - Bill Owens Governor of Colorado, Bill Gaston owner of the Boston Celtics. Bum Phillips former NFL coach. Rodney Crowell Country Singer/Song Writer.
Forestry and Physical Sciences are considered an area of strength for SFA. Also has a strong Business/Accounting School.

And don't forget the Axe Man himself, Jeremiah Trotter of the Philadelphia Eagles.

BisonBacker
09-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Runnels is a big fellow and he is probably the only bright spot for the Lumberjacks. * NDSU Alumni in Texas, *visit 3T Tailgating at Lumberjack Alley between 3:00 and 5:30. *There will be plenty of adult beverages.

OH yeah... sometimes I am sorry about my wife also!

I don't care who you are that's dam funny. I hope for your sake she doesn't read message boards or at least not this one. ;D ;D ;D

sambini
09-27-2006, 03:50 AM
++++++++++++++

Bisonfan1
09-27-2006, 04:44 PM
For some reason, Im a little worried about this game, an 0-4 team has got to be real hungry right now. I do have huge confidience in the Bison staff to prepare the team accordingly this week, but I feel this could be a close game. The crime here is that radio/audio coverage only, I dont see why in the world there cannot be at the very least an internet feed for EVERY away game, TV being the first choice of course. Wouldnt more visual coverage generate more interest and boost home attendance ? Thought I would just toss that comment in there. 10,000 in the crowd respectable, hope the home town team fans bring lots of books, knitting etc. and do alot of sitting on their hands !!

lumberjack85
09-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Bison fans go to www.kicks105.com This is the Lumberjack flagship station and they will have a live feed. Of course it will be Lumberjack announcers but hey it's better than nothing.

whiteshadow
09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey guys, ThunderRadio will be down broadcasting the game this weekend so you can pick us up at 105.9 FM in the Fargo area or at www.thunderradio.fm. We should have a better view this weekend than our field level end zone spot last weekend so the analysis will be better, that I promise. Have a great weekend!

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 02:40 AM
BISON *28 *SFA 13

Against Arizona SFA gave up over 400 yds, 275 on the ground. *We are going to get that.

If that works, and it should, the BISON will start to pass. * That will work too and they will do better than avg maybe 200 yds or more and a score.
Tulsa hammered them with over 500 yds, 350 through the air. *Its possible for the BISON to get that too. *either one gives them the win, but both give them the route index.

They had a good game against Delta State. *17-14, but DSU got to them for over 300 yds passing to win it.

Their best game was Central Arkansas. *They had over 500 yds, Just under 400 yds passing and 35 pts. *If it turns into that kind of game I think NDSU wins. *It will be wide open and the wide open stats help the BISON, but if SFA wants it this is the way to go.

I think the BISON defense will deny them their game. *Give them 100 yds rushing 175 yds passing and 13 pts.

Give the BISON 28.

mebison
09-28-2006, 03:26 AM
BISON *28 *SFA 13

Against Arizona SFA gave up over 400 yds, 275 on the ground. *We are going to get that.

If that works, and it should, the BISON will start to pass. * That will work too and they will do better than avg maybe 200 yds or more and a score.
Tulsa hammered them with over 500 yds, 350 through the air. *Its possible for the BISON to get that too. *either one gives them the win, but both give them the route index.

They had a good game against Delta State. *17-14, but DSU got to them for over 300 yds passing to win it.

Their best game was Central Arkansas. *They had over 500 yds, Just under 400 yds passing and 35 pts. *If it turns into that kind of game I think NDSU wins. *It will be wide open and the wide open stats help the BISON, but if SFA wants it this is the way to go.

I think the BISON defense will deny them their game. *Give them 100 yds rushing 175 yds passing and 13 pts.

Give the BISON 28.

I don't know the foggiest thing about SFA (including where its at), but you're going to give them more rushing that our last three opponents have had combined? Is that a statement on SFA's running game or the last 3 victim's lack of running game? Just curious.

IowaBison
09-28-2006, 03:27 AM
I feel pretty comfortable giving them about 15 yds. ;)

TheDoctor
09-28-2006, 03:46 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++ ;D

broke_back_mnt
09-28-2006, 03:50 AM
I gave them their game. *Best game was Central Arkansas and they got 100 rushing and 400 in the air! *I gave the BISON the route index. *If they dont get their game they better look out. *This game is all BISON. *BISON have to guard against the upset. *

Scooter
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
SFA - NDSU matchup

Offense- *QB Walker Vs. Southall- *ADVANTAGE *NDSU *Steve Walker proved last week that he is indeed an elite QB in the ranks of I-AA. *However, Southall is 1-5 in games that he has started for SFA

* * * * * * * WR's *ADVANTAGE NDSU SFA has three targets that get most of the attention, Williams, Edison and Rohdes. *Williams is another 6'5" guy, but I don't think that he is in the same league as the Ball State guy we saw last week. *These three account for about 145 yards a game. *NDSU simply has more targets White, Heckendorf, Majeski, and Wurzbacher. *White is a difference maker down the stretch and Heckendorf can make plays with one hand tied behind his back. *These guys combine for 181 ypg.

* * * * * * * RB/FB ADVANTAGE NDSU SFA has a 250 pounder back there but he isn't even averaging over 50 yards a game. *I'll take Steffes and Roehl every day of the week and twice on Saturday (Sunday we rest). *Also, Rohl and Steffes have become a big threat catching passes out of the backfield giving Walker 6 different recievers with around 100 yards recieving.

* * * * * * * O-LINE ADVANTAGE NDSU NDSU's line play has been nothing short of spectacular. *They lose a guy and just plug in another lineman while losing nothing in productivity.

Defense- *D-LINE ADVANTAGE NDSUHow can you argue with the performance of these guys. *Frick and Fairbairn are a solid force in the middle Dahl and Lardinois continue to get it done on the outside. *SFA had better be lightning fast at the ends because they are WAY undersized.

* * * * * * * *LB- ADVANTAGE NDSUthree names Mays, Humber, Maresh take those three away and NDSU still has capable LBs to plug into the defense. *Once again, the LB for SFA are undersized and are going to get really tired of hitting Steffes and Roehl.

* * * * * * * *DB- ADVANTAGE ???? *NDSU with the exception of three plays last week were pretty good, but three plays in a game can really cost you. *Still they didn't play bad enough for me to give the advantage to SFA *outright.

* * * * * * * *Special Teams-ADVANTAGE NDSU- *Our kicking game is simply superior to SFA

Prediction: *I don't see a letdown after last week for this reason. *This win for NDSU was not as huge as some would think. *I say this because after quarter number one the boys in green KNEW that they were the better team on the field. *Outside of three plays, 43 (great catch BTW), 70 and 81 yard passes, *the defense dominated. *The Offense continually drove the ball and played in Ball States side of the field for most of the day. *Ball State is a more tallented team than SFA. *Games like Ball State help teams like NDSU, *the Bison now EXPECT to win every time they come onto the field (there is a difference between thinking that you are going to win and knowing that you are going to win). *They do not let turnovers change the outcome of the game. *Every game there has been a turnover that could have set the tone for the game, but when you think back at the end of the game, these mistakes (ie. first play fumbles) are forgotten.

Look for the Bison to have a good rushing day and score 35 points or better. *The SFA defense is quick but they are undersized and Steffes and Co will get more yards after contact as the game goes on. *SFA gives up around 400 yards a game, I don't see this trend changing this week. *The difference in the two teams Defenses and Kicking games are going to be the most glaring. Look for another Bison win *

NDSU 38 *SFA 14

SDbison
09-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Good analysis Scooter. I agree with most everything in your summary. I think the Bison have been well prepared to handle the demands of 6 weeks on the road in 7 weeks so I am hoping for no letdown, maybe even an inspired team that puts this game away early. The only concern I have is if the Bison are not real sharp and SFA gets some breaks (turnovers, big plays, homer ref calls) this game could end up being closer than expected. Bison need to keep focus and take care of business on Saturday!

NoDakSt
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
It's unusual to see a men's team dedicating a game to Breast Cancer Awareness. That's pretty cool.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Weather forecast for Nacogdoches for sat sep 30th.

Sunny and high of 82.

Game time 6pm.

Should be a beautiful evening in Texas!

GO BISON!

Looks like there is only a 30% chance of rain but There is a 100% chance of THUNDER!!!!

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics17/400/NW/NWCAGSFHRCUWBFJ.20060902172514.jpg

SFA better watch out because We're Comin, We're Comin!!!

sambini
09-30-2006, 02:52 AM
41-17 Bison The March is on++++++++++++++

broke_back_mnt
09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Here we are, a few hours from kick off. *The BISON must be getting set at the stadium and the traveling fans must be thinking about it if they arent already there. *Its a big game on the road for the BISON. *Clearly favorites they have to play their game. *SFA is without a doubt dangerously frustrated but they are going to have to show some things they haven't shown so far this year.

SFA is down in all major statistical categories. *Give them 3 for home field and it still looks like a game for the BISON to lose. *Whats their hope?

They give up about 35 ps/game and only get back 17. *Thats a weakness.
The BISON are putting up 39 and giving up 13. *Thats a strength.

They are horrible on third down conversions. *21%. *Thats a weakness.
NDSU converts 50% of its third downs and only allows opponents a 30% conversion rate. *Thats a strength.

Maybe they have the big play? *

Their longest rush is 39 yds but they have 3 guys with rushes over 20. *NDSU has a long rush of 60 yds and 3 guys over 40. *But, thats it, the next highest is Walker with 15 yds. *The BISON need to be effective in presenting a threat on the ground. *.

Their longest reception is 26 yds with only two receivers with catches over 20. *NDSU is very dominate in this stat.

So, whats the hope? *The only hope from SFA is the big play. *They are overdue. *I dont know about their team speed, but if they plan to win they had better get the turn overs and find the big play. *In fact that might be necessary to keep it close.

semobison
09-30-2006, 08:28 PM
I dont think stats mean too much here. SFA has played a tough schedule with two D1A games out of four. They are at home and are desperate, which makes them dangerous. If the Bison play solid mistake free football and dont give up too many big plays they should win this game. On the road all Im hoping for is a W! This wont be an easy game. UC Davis got beat down there last year. GO BISON!!!

sway1331
09-30-2006, 09:13 PM
34-13 Bison

BisonFellow
09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
I predict 27-23 SFA. hopefully wrong, like i was last week.

Gully
09-30-2006, 10:44 PM
24-13 Bison win.

coloradobison
09-30-2006, 10:56 PM
27-21 Bison.

big play or 2 from SFA, steady diet of steffes and blinco and a couple bibeau fg's.

Go Bison!!

broke_back_mnt
10-01-2006, 04:00 PM
SFA got the big play and they got the turnovers. *Unfortunatelly the BISON Defense was stingy and didnt let them in the endzone. *This game was very close with SFA burrowing into the stat books to find the road that almost gave them the upset.

Congratulations to the BISON and the Lumberjacks, a worthy and talented opponent. *It was a tight game, well coached and evenly matched. *The BISON got the win!

Here we are, a few hours from kick off. *The BISON must be getting set at the stadium and the traveling fans must be thinking about it if they arent already there. *Its a big game on the road for the BISON. *Clearly favorites they have to play their game. *SFA is without a doubt dangerously frustrated but they are going to have to show some things they haven't shown so far this year.

SFA is down in all major statistical categories. *Give them 3 for home field and it still looks like a game for the BISON to lose. *Whats their hope?

They give up about 35 ps/game and only get back 17. *Thats a weakness.
The BISON are putting up 39 and giving up 13. *Thats a strength.

SFA Defense gave up 17! *The BISON D held.

They are horrible on third down conversions. *21%. *Thats a weakness.
NDSU converts 50% of its third downs and only allows opponents a 30% conversion rate. *Thats a strength.

The Lumberjacks were just 3 of 15 on third-down conversions. *Looks a lot like 20%. *Again BISON D did the job but NDSU was only able to convert 4 of 13. *SFA defense was good.

Maybe they have the big play? *

Their longest rush is 39 yds but they have 3 guys with rushes over 20. *NDSU has a long rush of 60 yds and 3 guys over 40. *But, thats it, the next highest is Walker with 15 yds. *The BISON need to be effective in presenting a threat on the ground. *

Last night SFA had 2 runs of 20 yds, 1 of 16 and 1 of 13. *Excellent job by the Lumberjack offense. *SFA held the BISON to only 2 runs over 10 yds with the long only 14 yds. *We did get 141 total rushing yds. *Good night for both teams.

Their longest reception is 26 yds with only two receivers with catches over 20. *NDSU is very dominate in this stat.

The passing games were about even. *The Lumberjacks had a good night but the BISON scored through the air.

So, whats the hope? *The only hope from SFA is the big play. *They are overdue. *I dont know about their team speed, but if they plan to win they had better get the turn overs and find the big play. *In fact that might be necessary to keep it close.