PDA

View Full Version : Pinto's Article (KFGO)

tolnabison
09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
I have some mixed feelings on this article...

http://crankyfan.com/sotasports/Not+So+Fast+My+Friend

I am not saying we would win the Big 10 either, I'm more offended that he throws out three starters on our D and says they wouldn't step on the field for some schools.

tony
09-18-2014, 12:37 PM
In seven years, it's gone from: "Any Big 10 team would beat any NDSU team by 40" to "It's preposterous to say that NDSU could compete with a middle of the pack Big 10 / Big 12 team" to "NDSU wouldn't dominate the Big 10." :)

OK, who's been saying that NDSU would dominate the Big 10?

BisonNeil
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

I am not saying we would win the Big 10 either, I'm more offended that he throws out three starters on our D and says they wouldn't step on the field for some schools.

It's Pinto. Have you ever listened to the guy on the radio? His grammar is even worse on the air than when he writes and has time to edit.

It's Pinto. You can't get worked up over anything he says or thinks, and I am loosely assuming the later.

EC8CH
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Does the article have a point?

NDSU would need to join Big 10
NDSU will never join Big 10
Ending with reporters opinion how NDSU would do hypothetically playing in the Big 10.

MNLonghorn10
09-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Hate the 4 and 5 star automatically trumps anyone who is 2 and 3.

Worst argument ever

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Tatanka
09-18-2014, 12:44 PM

Worst argument ever

That is the Sioux City, Oklahoma of arguments.

Tatanka
09-18-2014, 12:45 PM
In seven years, it's gone from: "Any Big 10 team would beat any NDSU team by 40" to "It's preposterous to say that NDSU could compete with a middle of the pack Big 10 / Big 12 team" to "NDSU wouldn't dominate the Big 10." :)

That this is even a conversation is amazing to me.

HerdBot
09-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Stupid. If the Bison were hypothetically in t he Big Ten, would they still have 63 scholarships? :facepalm:

Would they not get the revenue sharing? Heck t her revenue sharing by itself could help pay for a stadium. The Gophers get between 40-45 million per year from TV deals. Out entire athletic budget is under 20 million

MNLonghorn10
09-18-2014, 01:02 PM
That is the Sioux City, Oklahoma of arguments.

That would be an insult to Sioux city and Oklahoma

DCinOK
09-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Worst argument ever

One flaw in his argument: If NDSU was FBS and in a major conference, the Bison WOULD get some of those "4 and 5 star recruits" they are not getting now because the athlete would know that he's going to play at the highest level of college football, would get more attention from the pros, etc.

Plenty of "4 and 5 star recruits" don't consider NDSU simply because they want to play at the highest level.

aces1180
09-18-2014, 01:13 PM
It's Pinto. Have you ever listened to the guy on the radio? His grammar is even worse on the air than when he writes and has time to edit.

It's Pinto. You can't get worked up over anything he says or thinks, and I am loosely assuming the later.

He's a McFooley wanna be (and he isn't any good at it).

Herd80
09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
"NDSU wouldn’t get dominated in the Big 10, but they wouldn’t be dominate."

Just read the sentence ^ and make your decision on the validity of the entire article. Agree with the premise, but geez

JMB
09-18-2014, 01:19 PM
I believe is is the classic strawman arguement. He makes his own arguement "The Bison should join the big 10." Then proceeds to tear it down.

By the way I do agree with him. NDSU would be at best a middle of the road big 10 school. We don't have the facilities nor the donors to compete.

EC8CH
09-18-2014, 01:26 PM
I believe is is the classic strawman arguement. He makes his own arguement "The Bison should join the big 10." Then proceeds to tear it down.

By the way I do agree with him. NDSU would be at best a middle of the road big 10 school. We don't have the facilities nor the donors to compete.

But geography dictates the only way to move up is to join the Big 10! :facepalm:

Bison"FANatic"
09-18-2014, 01:31 PM
I do believe his Sioux mangina is showing. Cmon Pinto you can do better than that. Aces had it right but Mcfooly is not who you want to be like.

aces1180
09-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I do believe his Sioux mangina is showing. Cmon Pinto you can do better than that. Aces had it right but Mcfooly is not who you want to be like.

He actually graduated from NDSU, which is sad...Makes me wonder what is happening in the Mass Communication department.

HerdBot
09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
One flaw in his argument: If NDSU was FBS and in a major conference, the Bison WOULD get some of those "4 and 5 star recruits" they are not getting now because the athlete would know that he's going to play at the highest level of college football, would get more attention from the pros, etc.

Plenty of "4 and 5 star recruits" don't consider NDSU simply because they want to play at the highest level.

Exactly. And we would still continue to develop the great under recruited zero star athletes into 4 star guys like we do now. With 22 more scholarship players we would build some incredible depth and lock in more studs, especially at the skilled positions

StL Bison Fan
09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Stupid. If the Bison were hypothetically in t he Big Ten, would they still have 63 scholarships? :facepalm:

Would they not get the revenue sharing? Heck t her revenue sharing by itself could help pay for a stadium. The Gophers get between 40-45 million per year from TV deals. Out entire athletic budget is under 20 million
This here. Everyone uses the difference in scholarships as a reason we couldn't compete. If we join the FBS will we be made to play with less scholarships? I think not. Shows lack of thought.
So what did I learn from the article? Pinto's A Putz

oldmantutters
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
This here. Everyone uses the difference in scholarships as a reason we couldn't compete. If we join the FBS will we be made to play with less scholarships? I think not. Shows lack of thought.
Tell me this isn't the first you are realizing this.

Bison"FANatic"
09-18-2014, 01:41 PM
He actually graduated from NDSU, which is sad...Makes me wonder what is happening in the Mass Communication department.

Really???? He seems to cut on SU whenever he can and even goes out of the way to do it and he well.............. about the school up north so I just figured. Really to bad. That article was so poorly written and filled with so many assumptions it is crazy. He should interview griz52 his writing and the crazy dude talking could make for a great article.

tony
09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Just for the record, I have no problem with the article other than I can't recall Bison fans saying that NDSU would dominate the Big10.

I have seen some people claim that NDSU would finish in the top 4 of the Big 10 this year, but even that is mostly from fans of other schools.

StL Bison Fan
09-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Tell me this isn't the first you are realizing this.

No, it's just getting old.

HerdBot
09-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Desmond Howard said if we moved up we would likely take lumps for 5 to 7 years. I don't think we would in a conference like the MAC. Marshall moved up from 1aa to the mac and won the conference 5 out of the first 6 years and we're consistently ranked over a 5 year period. And they did it without the 85 scholarships

92 - D1AA championship
96 - D1AA championship
1997 Bob Pruett Mid-American 8-1 10-3
1998 Bob Pruett Mid-American 8-1 12-1
1999 Bob Pruett Mid-American 9-0 13-0
2000 Bob Pruett Mid-American 6-3 8-5
2002 Bob Pruett Mid-American 8-1 11-2
All seasons were Conference Championships

They moved to Conference USA which had been tougher obviously but they are improving. They pay their head coach 600k

StL Bison Fan
09-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Really???? He seems to cut on SU whenever he can and even goes out of the way to do it and he well.............. about the school up north so I just figured. Really to bad. That article was so poorly written and filled with so many assumptions it is crazy. He should interview griz52 his writing and the crazy dude talking could make for a great article.

He's still mad from when he got the letter asking for their degree back

Herd12
09-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Pinto is a product of the Forum Communications machine. They all belittle NDSU as subliminally as they can with little digs here and there. There's no reason to eve write the NDSU couldn't hack it in the big 10 article, but right now that's the only way to go negative. Kolpack headlined the sports section on Sunday with a negative article about how the atmosphere suffered because of the blowout. Last year I called Kolpack out about picking UND over SDSU in Grand Forks. It was a clear troll move to irritate Bison fans and he denied it. Our local media is a a collection of finely tuned trolls that have no appreciation for what NDSU has accomplished and it is very sad. Pinto is just the most recent of them.

aces1180
09-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Pinto is a product of the Forum Communications machine. They all belittle NDSU as subliminally as they can with little digs here and there. There's no reason to eve write the NDSU couldn't hack it in the big 10 article, but right now that's the only way to go negative. Kolpack headlined the sports section on Sunday with a negative article about how the atmosphere suffered because of the blowout. Last year I called Kolpack out about picking UND over SDSU in Grand Forks. It was a clear troll move to irritate Bison fans and he denied it. Our local media is a a collection of finely tuned trolls that have no appreciation for what NDSU has accomplished and it is very sad. Pinto is just the most recent of them.

He works for Midwest Communications, not Forum Communications.

El_Chapo
09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
he's a hack, you guys just gave him a chubby though talking about it for 24 posts.
he's mcfooly's lil bobo. just tries to get a rise out of people, total nerd.

StL Bison Fan
09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
he's a hack, you guys just gave him a chubby though talking about it for 24 posts.
he's mcfooly's lil bobo. just tries to get a rise out of people, total nerd.

This is funny

Herd12
09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I didn't say he worked for Forum Communications. He's a product of the FM sports media machine which was originally f*cked up by Forum Communications. El Chapo is right, he's McFeely's bobo and McFeely got his start writing a bunch of drivel for Forum Communications.

aces1180
09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I didn't say he worked for Forum Communications. He's a product of the FM sports media machine which was originally f*cked up by Forum Communications. El Chapo is right, he's McFeely's bobo and McFeely got his start writing a bunch of drivel for Forum Communications.

Ok...I'm just not sure how he can be a product of Forum Communications since he never worked there...Unless you are relating him to McFooley, who was a crappy columnist before jumping ship to KFGO.

td577
09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
This article is actually pretty funny. He says he follows the Bison, yet has no clue as to why they would or wouldn't fit. His arguments are weak.

"1. When NDSU plays a FBS opponent, it is the Bison’s biggest game of the year behind the national title game. For the FBS team, it means little. You change that and make the Minnesota/NDSU game a conference match-up, the Gophers are going to put a little more stock into it.

Are you saying FBS teams don’t take FCS teams seriously? Yes. I am."

I would buy this excuse 5 years ago. This isn't an excuse anymore. NDSU is not surprising anyone and I am not seeing the Bison treat KSU or ISU any different then NIU or YSU. They line up and play football. At this point, it is probably a lot bigger deal to the fans than to the team.

"2. NDSU is playing with 22 less scholarships than FBS teams. In one game that lack of depth doesn’t show up. Over the course of a season, you better believe it is going to hurt. Sure, last year’s NDSU team was good enough to probably finish sixth or fifth in the Big 10.

However, they couldn’t lose a player like Grant Olson and still be competitive because the drop off in production between him and the next guy would be too significant to handle."

So NDSU doesn't get into a P5 conference without handicapping the rest of the conference by not allowing the Bison 22 more scholarships. This would probably keep it fair for the bottom half of the Big Ten or Big 12 for a little while.

"3. NDSU’s best players, Christian Dudzik, Colten Heagle, Carlton Littlejohn, etc… would probably be starters on bad teams like Northwestern or Purdue. The would be back-ups on Michigan or Nebraska. They wouldn’t see the field for teams like Michigan State or Wisconsin.

The talent level of starters is so much higher than the talent level of NDSU starters. NDSU has some great players, don’t get me wrong, but you are talking four or five star recruits for the Big 10 versus two to three star recruits for NDSU."

This is a fallacy when it comes to schools not in the top 10-15 in the country. Those schools are in a class by themselves. There are traditionally 10-15 programs in the country that are out-recruiting everyone. Those schools aren't always in the top 10-15 in the country by the end of the year, but they are getting the most 4-5 star recruits. They are talent-wise heads and shoulders above everyone.

The rest of the country is not so far apart. Today, the only teams in the Big 10 that would be favored against the Bison would be Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Then after Penn State, which would probably be a close game, the Bison would be at least a TD favorite over the rest of the conference. The depth issue could be real after a couple of games, but then the Bison would have 22 more scholarships like everyone else. But, in the last 5 FBS games, the only one I saw Bison players with their hands on their hips in the fourth quarter was the Gopher game. They got their second wind with the Williams INT though.

The one thing that couldn't change if the Bison were to move up is the way they recruit. They would have to become like Duke and Indiana in basketball (at least the Bobby Knight Hoosier teams I grew up with). You have to keep targeting these kids who are missing something that keeps them off the BCS school's radar and keep them for four or five years. The one thing that NDSU has over the FBS schools we play is experience. It hasn't just been 15 games a year either, it has been upperclassmen who have been contributing since day one on campus. That would have to continue. I think there are a lot of guys on NDSU's roster that FBS schools wonder how they missed or how they could have gotten. The probably look back and see they had someone a bit undersized or thought they were slow or maybe they never looked at 9 man football. NDSU has found a knack for finding kids who can play football. Their first attribute is can they play football. There are a lot of schools where the first attribute is do they have 4.3 speed. Sure they have rosters that are extremely athletically gifted, but how much of their time is now being spent teaching a kid about football. NDSU is actually a college level education on football for these kids. This article has a couple tidbits on the success of recruiting as NDSU finds these guys early and stays connected with them during the whole process: http://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20100311/News/303119866.

"4. They could end up with an unfavorable schedule, meaning they could end up with a bad record. It would be nice if NDSU had a Big 10 schedule that included Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Purdue on the road and tough teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and Penn State at home."

This is the rub with every team in the Big Ten. If you want to be taken seriously at the end of the year for a BCS bowl, you have to navigate that perfectly, like everyone else. This has nothing to do with speed or talent. It has to do with coaching and discipline. If anyone wants to be be considered the best in the Big Ten, they can't use losing to Michigan on the road as an excuse because that is really hard and should be an exemption.

"Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin are all states that NDSU recruits heavily. Those states also happen to have schools in the Big 10. This is thee conference NDSU would have to put into."

Actually, I disagree with this. I think the only conference that makes sense for NDSU is the Big 12 (If you are talking P5 conferences). The Big 12 needs more schools to create two divisions. All but one school is in our time zone (but if they expanded to include a NDSU, they would go after BYU, as well so the number would be at least 2). They need to blow up their TV deals at the Tier 3 level and start a Big 12 Network and the best way to do it would be with a full contingent of schools and a playoff. So if he was going to do a comparison, he should have worked with the Big 12 in mind as if you are going to go with unrealistic goals, go with the one that makes more sense.

He was trying to come up with ways to argue that NDSU can't be in any argument when it comes to a BCS conference. His argument fails because he wants to handicap the Bison from the get go. The F/M area population-wise would be right about in the middle of the Big 12. It probably resembles mostly Waco, TX. There are a lot of features this moron leaves out when discussing whether the Bison could compete.

A better article would have been do we want to move up to such mediocrity as the Big 10 or Big 12? They are being treated as red headed step children by the other BCS conferences when December rolls around. (Full disclaimer: I had a red headed step brother who I treated with as much respect as anyone would have treated a red headed step brother.)

tjbison
09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
el chapo farts pinto beans......

El_Chapo
09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
everyone knows we'd compete, this is a rhetorical article. he's gonna have to call a doctor after 4 hours.

tjbison "el chapo farts pinto beans......" this is also correct

Tatanka
09-18-2014, 04:05 PM
That would be an insult to Sioux city and Oklahoma

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-G84uzvuoXdQ/UlR4gOqQrEI/AAAAAAAAABY/Ztgvfxhzi18/s288/grumpy-cat-hates-easter-good-dogs-1366980895.jpg

BadlandsGrizFan
09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Pretty much exactly what I said two weeks ago on here...Delusional program...don't worry Montana went through the same delusional stage some years ago.

BisonNation11
09-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Pretty much exactly what I said two weeks ago on here...Delusional program...don't worry Montana went through the same delusional stage some years ago.

I'm sorry, what Big 12 team did you take down?

JMB
09-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Just for the record, I have no problem with the article other than I can't recall Bison fans saying that NDSU would dominate the Big10.

I have seen some people claim that NDSU would finish in the top 4 of the Big 10 this year, but even that is mostly from fans of other schools.

Of course as you type this, it is followed by many, many people who post messages about how we could compete in the Big 10, er 11, no 12, um sorry 14.

tony
09-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Of course as you type this, it is followed by many, many people who post messages about how we could compete in the Big 10, er 11, no 12, um sorry 14.

Heh, I'm not seeing any of those. All I'm seeing after my post is people bitching about Pinto and McFeeley.

But, hey, I have no problem saying that last year's team would have been competitive in the Big 10... as a hypothetical. I mean, why not say it? If any Big 10 team wants to show how stupid I am, they can schedule NDSU. :)

Competitve isn't not the same as dominant. Joining the Big 10 (as if) and being competitive is a whole different universe than having a team that, in a given year, could be competitive with most or all Big 10 schools.

Dakid3kc
09-18-2014, 06:21 PM
He lost me after failing to make even a valid first point! For this guy who claims to have followed NDSU for the past 7 years to not have already figured out that the next game on THIS Saturday is the biggest game of the year EVERY Saturday is ridiculous. For him to say that it means little to the FBS schools?? OUTRAGEOUS!! I am sick of this statement. Oh the FBS schools don't care. They don't get up for that game. They don't care about it. They are more worried and focused on the next game or the rival game or the start of conference play, IT'S ALL GARBAGE!!! If that's the case, then that's why those teams that we have played, minus K State, are consistently crappy, that's on coaches, AND mostly on PLAYERS! That's why those players ARE NOT RECRUITED BY NDSU!! The stars by a recruit mean nothing!

The FBS schools that we have played, and others that struggle in those larger conferences alike, schedule these games and NEED these games scheduled in most cases to try and become bowl eligible! Then he says they don't care?? A loss to an FCS school is not only "embarrassing" as they call it, since they are the high and mighty FBS, it could keep them from a Bowl game and a lot of money. To say they don't care???

You know why NDSU win streak is at 27? Do you know why they have won back to back to back National Titles? Talent, obviously yes. Coaching, certainly. But I believe it is because they PREPARE each offseason, each preseason, each week like it will be their last game and that the season could be over with that one game. It's instilled in the players now. The older players are instilling it into the younger players. The Soph and Fresh buy into it. They don't "assume" that well we are 3 time National Champs, have won X amount of games. We will win again.

That's what teams are jealous of. That's what Montana wishes they had. 7 title games and only win 2??? How does that happen? And then for some to say they are the gold standard?? NDSU has what mediocre FBS schools wish they had. And yes, I don't believe I am at all stretching the truth when I say other teams that high up aspire to install what NDSU is doing into their programs.

BadlandsGrizFan
09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
He lost me after failing to make even a valid first point! For this guy who claims to have followed NDSU for the past 7 years to not have already figured out that the next game on THIS Saturday is the biggest game of the year EVERY Saturday is ridiculous. For him to say that it means little to the FBS schools?? OUTRAGEOUS!! I am sick of this statement. Oh the FBS schools don't care. They don't get up for that game. They don't care about it. They are more worried and focused on the next game or the rival game or the start of conference play, IT'S ALL GARBAGE!!! If that's the case, then that's why those teams that we have played, minus K State, are consistently crappy, that's on coaches, AND mostly on PLAYERS! That's why those players ARE NOT RECRUITED BY NDSU!! The stars by a recruit mean nothing!

The FBS schools that we have played, and others that struggle in those larger conferences alike, schedule these games and NEED these games scheduled in most cases to try and become bowl eligible! Then he says they don't care?? A loss to an FCS school is not only "embarrassing" as they call it, since they are the high and mighty FBS, it could keep them from a Bowl game and a lot of money. To say they don't care???

You know why NDSU win streak is at 27? Do you know why they have won back to back to back National Titles? Talent, obviously yes. Coaching, certainly. But I believe it is because they PREPARE each offseason, each preseason, each week like it will be their last game and that the season could be over with that one game. It's instilled in the players now. The older players are instilling it into the younger players. The Soph and Fresh buy into it. They don't "assume" that well we are 3 time National Champs, have won X amount of games. We will win again.

That's what teams are jealous of. That's what Montana wishes they had. 7 title games and only win 2??? How does that happen? And then for some to say they are the gold standard?? NDSU has what mediocre FBS schools wish they had. And yes, I don't believe I am at all stretching the truth when I say other teams that high up aspire to install what NDSU is doing into their programs.

Yes you have one more national championship than Montana...that is the only thing Montana wishes it had that the Bison do...other than that no..just no....weve been doing this a long ass time...we have higher attendances than anyone...our program makes more money than any other in the FCS...we go to Natty Championships...you have 3 in a row...besides the one extra championship....NO you are an idiot and we don't wish we had what you have...accept maybe your coach......there is a reason why the rest of the country calls Montana the gold standard...the only people who have a problem with it are delusional bison fans like yourself....you guys are on the same level as far as the mount rushmores of FCS go...but jesus man wake up.

MankatoBison
09-18-2014, 06:35 PM

I get what you're saying, but I just read the article about the atmosphere from Kolpack and thought it was really appropriate. And I think its weird that he would pick UND v SDSU, but in the same vein, he's always in tha Pick-em' league with Izzo, and I know they both really want the nickel haha...
I think Kolpack is one of our biggest cheer-leaders in the press room and a great fan as well

BadlandsBison
09-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Yes you have one more national championship than Montana...that is the only thing Montana wishes it had that the Bison do...other than that no..just no....weve been doing this a long ass time...we have higher attendances than anyone...our program makes more money than any other in the FCS...we go to Natty Championships...you have 3 in a row...besides the one extra championship....NO you are an idiot and we don't wish we had what you have...accept maybe your coach......there is a reason why the rest of the country calls Montana the gold standard...the only people who have a problem with it are delusional bison fans like yourself....you guys are on the same level as far as the mount rushmores of FCS go...but jesus man wake up.
How would rate his protoplasm? Total waste?

Also, are envious of Coastal Carolina? :D

imabison
09-18-2014, 06:38 PM

All your have to remember is that XXX amount of Media are writing stories just for the ratings. I do not put Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo into that category, but there are numerous others.

Bisonator98
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Pinto = idiot

enough said

Dakid3kc
09-18-2014, 06:43 PM

You been doing it for a long ass time. NDSU hasn't. Pretty sure I am awake. 3 titles in 10 years of moving up to this level. You will get your reality check on Saturday. It will be proven on the field. Not by anything that I believe in watching as much football as I do.

Dakid3kc
09-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Also, would add if that's your line of logic, Is Texas, Nebraska, and USC the Gold Standard of the FBS? Not now. Not anymore. It's Alabama. The Gold Standard is what is going on and who everyone wants to be and wishes they could be and hopes they can beat. And right now, sorry, it is NDSU.

td577
09-18-2014, 07:17 PM

I'll let you in on a little secret. Montana was yesterday. Right now, NDSU is the gold standard. Montana has done nothing in the past or present that is anything close to what NDSU is doing now. 27 straight, 3 straight, 5 straight, 2 gameday's straight, etc, etc, etc. Montana has done NOTHING close to this. In fact, if you were to look to the past, you could say the FCS needed NDSU a lot more than the other way around. Hubris? No. Reality? Yes. I have friends around the country that had never heard of FCS before the Bison's run asking how they can watch them on Saturday. There is absolutely nothing about Montana that anyone in FCS wants. They want what NDSU wants. I am sorry that is what it is. For as long as Montana has been doing this, they should have a lot more. Gold standard? LOL. You know what? Be the gold standard. What has gone on over the past 10 years has become the Bison standard. It will be the only standard any program from here on out will ever be judged. Until your program goes back-to-back-to-back( and maybe counting), it will always be whether your program did that. Until your program wins 27 (and maybe more) in a row, it will always be whether your program did that. Until you are hosting ESPN Gameday for consecutive seasons with the hosts and producers saying they have no problem making this an annual occurrence, it will always be whether your program did that. It will always be whether your program can do what NDSU did. ALWAYS.

Montana has never been nor possibly ever be at the same level NDSU has been at. Sorry, that is reality.

Dakid3kc
09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret. Montana was yesterday. Right now, NDSU is the gold standard. Montana has done nothing in the past or present that is anything close to what NDSU is doing now. 27 straight, 3 straight, 5 straight, 2 gameday's straight, etc, etc, etc. Montana has done NOTHING close to this. In fact, if you were to look to the past, you could say the FCS needed NDSU a lot more than the other way around. Hubris? No. Reality? Yes. I have friends around the country that had never heard of FCS before the Bison's run asking how they can watch them on Saturday. There is absolutely nothing about Montana that anyone in FCS wants. They want what NDSU wants. I am sorry that is what it is. For as long as Montana has been doing this, they should have a lot more. Gold standard? LOL. You know what? Be the gold standard. What has gone on over the past 10 years has become the Bison standard. It will be the only standard any program from here on out will ever be judged. Until your program goes back-to-back-to-back( and maybe counting), it will always be whether your program did that. Until your program wins 27 (and maybe more) in a row, it will always be whether your program did that. Until you are hosting ESPN Gameday for consecutive seasons with the hosts and producers saying they have no problem making this an annual occurrence, it will always be whether your program did that. It will always be whether your program can do what NDSU did. ALWAYS.

Montana has never been nor possibly ever be at the same level NDSU has been at. Sorry, that is reality.

This ^^^^^^

cbline
09-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Pinto < idiot

enough said

Fixed it for you.

JMB
09-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Hmmm.. We were three minutes away from this never happening. If Brock wouldn't have scored on a 4th and 5 in a playoff game against Georgia Southern. A game in which we got our ass handed to us and really shouldn't have won, there would be no 3-peat, no ESPN gameday.

Before we dismiss our opponent, a school that has been the foundation of FCS football for many years. A school that has a great fanbase and nice facilities. If the entire FCS was made up teams like the University of the Incarnate Word, no one would care. Montana adds to the FCS brand and has help build the foundation that NDSU stands on, lets not trash their program... Now if you were talking about UNI, that's a whole different story...

NorthernBison
09-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Pinto = idiot

enough said
TRUTH. Plus, he listed best players on defense and I didn't see the name Beck there. Apparently he hasn't been watching for the last 4 years. Nobody else has played as many games or nearly as many snaps (for a reason). No offense to anybody else and this is a TEAM but Pinto isn't watching the same game.

semobison
09-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Hmmm.. We were three minutes away from this never happening. If Brock wouldn't have scored on a 4th and 5 in a playoff game against Georgia Southern. A game in which we got our ass handed to us and really shouldn't have won, there would be no 3-peat, no ESPN gameday.

Before we dismiss our opponent, a school that has been the foundation of FCS football for many years. A school that has a great fanbase and nice facilities. If the entire FCS was made up teams like the University of the Incarnate Word, no one would care. Montana adds to the FCS brand and has help build the foundation that NDSU stands on, lets not trash their program... Now if you were talking about UNI, that's a whole different story...

Good post! No reason to trash Montana's program. They have done a lot for FCS football. Some of you need to humble up a little... Is it Saturday yet?

geobosse
09-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Patience my friends.... Wait for conference re-alignment.

ndsubison1
09-18-2014, 09:19 PM
What they fail to understand is if we were FBS we WOULD have 22 more schollys. I seriously think last years team was good enough to beat every Big Ten team other than MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin.

td577
09-18-2014, 09:19 PM

When you see me on another school's message board making claims about how NDSU should be viewed, then I will heed your advice. Btw, GSU could be 1 second away from changing history, but they didn't. They couldn't put it away. That doesn't make them a bad team, it makes them go home. Games are never about who should win and who shouldn't. That is the attitude losers take. It is about who does win and who does lose that is the reason the game is played.

In case you are wondering, I am not going to lose any sleep over a Montana fan coming to this board and getting all sorts of offended. Sports are not that important in the big picture of life. This is about furthering the education of these young men, us having the opportunity to help put young men and women through college, and in the end, getting to have fun. If this is so serious that I have to worry about offending someone that comes into our house, then maybe some people need to step away from the keyboard, get some fresh air, and find a new hobby.

Tony Almeida
09-18-2014, 10:19 PM
When you see me on another school's message board making claims about how NDSU should be viewed, then I will heed your advice.[/B] Btw, GSU could be 1 second away from changing history, but they didn't. They couldn't put it away. That doesn't make them a bad team, it makes them go home. Games are never about who should win and who shouldn't. That is the attitude losers take. It is about who does win and who does lose that is the reason the game is played.

In case you are wondering, I am not going to lose any sleep over a Montana fan coming to this board and getting all sorts of offended. Sports are not that important in the big picture of life. This is about furthering the education of these young men, us having the opportunity to help put young men and women through college, and in the end, getting to have fun. If this is so serious that I have to worry about offending someone that comes into our house, then maybe some people need to step away from the keyboard, get some fresh air, and find a new hobby.

This^^^^^^^^

reformedUNDfan
09-18-2014, 10:59 PM

if you recall, ndsu was rolling gsu until a dumb punt block penalty on colvin.

EC8CH
09-18-2014, 11:02 PM

thought it was Gebhert

reformedUNDfan
09-18-2014, 11:07 PM

it took NDSU 6 years to eclipse your programs accomplishments. NDSU has 9 more titles than Montana, and 6 more titles than Montana during periods where both programs competed at the same level. Show some respect.

thebootfitter
09-18-2014, 11:08 PM
What they fail to understand is if we were FBS we WOULD have 22 more schollys. I seriously think last years team was good enough to beat every Big Ten team other than MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin.
This is neither here nor there at this point, but if we are to consider hypotheticals for last year's team... I think they would have had a legitimate shot at beating OSU and Wisconsin as well. Last year's Michigan State probably would be a bit of a stretch, though.

reformedUNDfan
09-18-2014, 11:15 PM
This is neither here nor there at this point, but if we are to consider hypotheticals for last year's team... I think they would have had a legitimate shot at beating OSU and Wisconsin as well. Last year's Michigan State probably would be a bit of a stretch, though.

I don't think we would line up against OSU's offensive scheme well.

semobison
09-18-2014, 11:19 PM

Rolling? We led by 3 at the time. Was a momentum changer but if you look at the stats from that game you would wonder how GSU lost. 430-276 total yardage GSU. I remember the elation if felt when Brock scored but I also remember walking out of the dome that night wondering how in the hell did we pull that game out!

td577
09-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Rolling? We led by 3 at the time. Was a momentum changer but if you look at the stats from that game you would wonder how GSU lost. 430-276 total yardage GSU. I remember the elation if felt when Brock scored but I also remember walking out of the dome that night wondering how in the hell did we pull that game out!

I remember thinking if we played against a team that could close, we would have lost. It isn't a 28 or a 57 minute game. It is a 60 minute game and it doesn't matter when you score more points then the other team as long as you do unless you tie. The Bison did everything they needed to do in every phase of the game to hold off the attack and win within the 60 minutes allotted. Would it have made a difference if they went up by 30 in the first quarter and have up 150 yards more?

When you start applying luck to the outcome then these guys don't have to workout on Saturdays or put in that extra mile on a nice summer day. They would only have to do as much as everyone else. They could sit back and hope an oblong ball rolls their way.

If it didn't take 2 1/2 quarters for the Bison to believe they belonged in a game with EWU, they might have gone all the way that year and maybe not have tried so hard and stopped at one. The bottom line is the only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says at the final gun. I can not think of a game, win or lose, over the past few years that have been a fluke.

So the bottom line is maybe we roll back the clock and play a 57 minute game with GSU and they get the win. I'll take the 60 minute one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

thundarsdaddy
09-19-2014, 12:23 AM
The only thing I will certainly argue with Pinto about is when he says players like Dudzik, Heagle, Littlejohn(to name a few) would never even make the team for Wisconsin or Mich State.
While this is totally subjective, I think the larger schools, Big 10...etc, recruit based on talent and little on players concept of teamwork. Now I realize that this is difficult at best to scout, but it can be done, and NDSU proves that.
NDSU might not get the same talented players(again subjective) as the Big 10, but the Bison sure are able to get the talent these players do HAVE, out of them at a high level, and get in within a TEAM concept.
MOST Big 10 schools right now would make a deal with the DEvil himself to be able to get the Teamwork that NDSU gets out of the Bison players.
And I dont have to tell Bison fans the various reasons as to why NDSU demands and GETS Teamwork.

Take THAT Pinto...anytime ya wanna debate me...I am easy to find...lol.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-19-2014, 01:18 AM

This year St. John's could dominate the Big.

semobison
09-19-2014, 01:25 AM
I remember thinking if we played against a team that could close, we would have lost. It isn't a 28 or a 57 minute game. It is a 60 minute game and it doesn't matter when you score more points then the other team as long as you do unless you tie. The Bison did everything they needed to do in every phase of the game to hold off the attack and win within the 60 minutes allotted. Would it have made a difference if they went up by 30 in the first quarter and have up 150 yards more?

When you start applying luck to the outcome then these guys don't have to workout on Saturdays or put in that extra mile on a nice summer day. They would only have to do as much as everyone else. They could sit back and hope an oblong ball rolls their way.

If it didn't take 2 1/2 quarters for the Bison to believe they belonged in a game with EWU, they might have gone all the way that year and maybe not have tried so hard and stopped at one. The bottom line is the only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says at the final gun. I can not think of a game, win or lose, over the past few years that have been a fluke.

So the bottom line is maybe we roll back the clock and play a 57 minute game with GSU and they get the win. I'll take the 60 minute one.

I agree the bottom line is the final score but as others suggested, we were never rolling GSU! It was back and forth all night. And the EWU game? We had the lead and the ball, less than 3 minutes left in their territory 2nd and 2. We didn't get the first down which would have basicly ended the game. Then, we let them go 80 yards to send the game into overtime. That is what lost the game for NDSU IMO, but I also think that days experience was a spring board for us to where we are today!

td577
09-19-2014, 01:38 AM
I agree the bottom line is the final score but as others suggested, we were never rolling GSU! It was back and forth all night. And the EWU game? We had the lead and the ball, less than 3 minutes left in their territory 2nd and 2. We didn't get the first down which would have basicly ended the game. Then, we let them go 80 yards to send the game into overtime. That is what lost the game for NDSU IMO, but I also think that days experience was a spring board for us to where we are today!

Exactly, as far as the spring board part. As far as losing that game, they gave away the entire first quarter. While you can't win a game in the first quarter, you can lose one there. It wasn't just a slow start, they played like they were just happy to be there. The second quarter started rolling a little bit where they figured out they belonged there. When they started taking over, they couldn't overcome that early crappy start.

Ndsu84
09-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Champions win even when everything goes against them.

Everybody has off days. Champions are still the best, even when they're off.

semobison
09-19-2014, 01:47 AM
Exactly, as far as the spring board part. As far as losing that game, they gave away the entire first quarter. While you can't win a game in the first quarter, you can lose one there. It wasn't just a slow start, they played like they were just happy to be there. The second quarter started rolling a little bit where they figured out they belonged there. When they started taking over, they couldn't overcome that early crappy start.

But...We had the game won! Get a first down we win, didn't happen. Stop them after the punt, we win, didn't happen.It was the last 3 minutes of regulation where we let it get away! I think a lot of Bison fans forget that the game should have never gone into overtime....Damn..still pisses me off!..LOL..hope we get EWU in the playoffs this season!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-19-2014, 02:18 AM
But...We had the game won! Get a first down we win, didn't happen. Stop them after the punt, we win, didn't happen.It was the last 3 minutes of regulation where we let it get away! I think a lot of Bison fans forget that the game should have never gone into overtime....Damn..still pisses me off!..LOL..hope we get EWU in the playoffs this season!

Our D coordinator lost this game for us, we had been successfully blitzing the whole game, disrupting their backfield. After we punted, we dropped back into our base D and they marched down the field basically uncontested until the red zone when we put the heat back on.

I just can't remember if our D coordinator in this game was Hazelton or Garza?

CAS4127
09-19-2014, 02:33 AM
We were not nearly as good on D in 2010 as we have been the last few years. We were just starting to see the effects of recruiting great athletes and putting a shit load of them on D. We learned we needed to do that after getting manhandled by UNI our first go-around in the MVFC. We also had a very physical, talented Oline in 2010, and once our OC realized we could roll team by running the damn ball, things started to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reformedUNDfan
09-19-2014, 06:31 AM

NDSU had outplayed them to that point, had the lead, and would have started that drive with the ball in field goal range. GSU's previous three drives had combined for 36 yards and had just gone 3-out and NDSU had scored the previous drive. It was a game changer.

reformedUNDfan
09-19-2014, 06:33 AM
The only thing I will certainly argue with Pinto about is when he says players like Dudzik, Heagle, Littlejohn(to name a few) would never even make the team for Wisconsin or Mich State.
While this is totally subjective, I think the larger schools, Big 10...etc, recruit based on talent and little on players concept of teamwork. Now I realize that this is difficult at best to scout, but it can be done, and NDSU proves that.
NDSU might not get the same talented players(again subjective) as the Big 10, but the Bison sure are able to get the talent these players do HAVE, out of them at a high level, and get in within a TEAM concept.
MOST Big 10 schools right now would make a deal with the DEvil himself to be able to get the Teamwork that NDSU gets out of the Bison players.
And I dont have to tell Bison fans the various reasons as to why NDSU demands and GETS Teamwork.

Take THAT Pinto...anytime ya wanna debate me...I am easy to find...lol.
several of those players, maybe all three plus others, will play on NFL rosters. He is clueless.

IBleedYellow
09-19-2014, 08:24 AM
thought it was Gebhert
It was actually Jordan Champion.

HerdBoy
09-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Pinto = exploding car from the 70's.

BisonNeil
09-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Our D coordinator lost this game for us, we had been successfully blitzing the whole game, disrupting their backfield. After we punted, we dropped back into our base D and they marched down the field basically uncontested until the red zone when we put the heat back on.

I just can't remember if our D coordinator in this game was Hazelton or Garza?

Hazelton, first year. He had a lot of s#!t to correct after the disaster the year before named Breske.

Bison_Pride
09-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Hazelton, first year. He had a lot of s#!t to correct after the disaster the year before named Breske.

Side note: Breske makes $325k a year as DC for Washington State.

Here's a list of what all their assistant coaches make. Sorta crazy.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jan/24/breske-highest-paid-wsu-assistant/
The new PAC 10 tv deal will generate up to $20 million a year for each school.

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2014, 02:24 AM
Side note: Breske makes $325k a year as DC for Washington State.

Here's a list of what all their assistant coaches make. Sorta crazy.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jan/24/breske-highest-paid-wsu-assistant/
The new PAC 10 tv deal will generate up to $20 million a year for each school.
I am just glad he is not making it here

56BISON73
09-20-2014, 02:30 AM
I am just glad he is not making it here

Ding Ding......

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
09-20-2014, 03:04 AM
This article is actually pretty funny. He says he follows the Bison, yet has no clue as to why they would or wouldn't fit. His arguments are weak.

"1. When NDSU plays a FBS opponent, it is the Bison’s biggest game of the year behind the national title game. For the FBS team, it means little. You change that and make the Minnesota/NDSU game a conference match-up, the Gophers are going to put a little more stock into it.

Are you saying FBS teams don’t take FCS teams seriously? Yes. I am."

I would buy this excuse 5 years ago. This isn't an excuse anymore. NDSU is not surprising anyone and I am not seeing the Bison treat KSU or ISU any different then NIU or YSU. They line up and play football. At this point, it is probably a lot bigger deal to the fans than to the team.

"2. NDSU is playing with 22 less scholarships than FBS teams. In one game that lack of depth doesn’t show up. Over the course of a season, you better believe it is going to hurt. Sure, last year’s NDSU team was good enough to probably finish sixth or fifth in the Big 10.

However, they couldn’t lose a player like Grant Olson and still be competitive because the drop off in production between him and the next guy would be too significant to handle."

So NDSU doesn't get into a P5 conference without handicapping the rest of the conference by not allowing the Bison 22 more scholarships. This would probably keep it fair for the bottom half of the Big Ten or Big 12 for a little while.

"3. NDSU’s best players, Christian Dudzik, Colten Heagle, Carlton Littlejohn, etc… would probably be starters on bad teams like Northwestern or Purdue. The would be back-ups on Michigan or Nebraska. They wouldn’t see the field for teams like Michigan State or Wisconsin.

The talent level of starters is so much higher than the talent level of NDSU starters. NDSU has some great players, don’t get me wrong, but you are talking four or five star recruits for the Big 10 versus two to three star recruits for NDSU."

This is a fallacy when it comes to schools not in the top 10-15 in the country. Those schools are in a class by themselves. There are traditionally 10-15 programs in the country that are out-recruiting everyone. Those schools aren't always in the top 10-15 in the country by the end of the year, but they are getting the most 4-5 star recruits. They are talent-wise heads and shoulders above everyone.

The rest of the country is not so far apart. Today, the only teams in the Big 10 that would be favored against the Bison would be Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Then after Penn State, which would probably be a close game, the Bison would be at least a TD favorite over the rest of the conference. The depth issue could be real after a couple of games, but then the Bison would have 22 more scholarships like everyone else. But, in the last 5 FBS games, the only one I saw Bison players with their hands on their hips in the fourth quarter was the Gopher game. They got their second wind with the Williams INT though.

The one thing that couldn't change if the Bison were to move up is the way they recruit. They would have to become like Duke and Indiana in basketball (at least the Bobby Knight Hoosier teams I grew up with). You have to keep targeting these kids who are missing something that keeps them off the BCS school's radar and keep them for four or five years. The one thing that NDSU has over the FBS schools we play is experience. It hasn't just been 15 games a year either, it has been upperclassmen who have been contributing since day one on campus. That would have to continue. I think there are a lot of guys on NDSU's roster that FBS schools wonder how they missed or how they could have gotten. The probably look back and see they had someone a bit undersized or thought they were slow or maybe they never looked at 9 man football. NDSU has found a knack for finding kids who can play football. Their first attribute is can they play football. There are a lot of schools where the first attribute is do they have 4.3 speed. Sure they have rosters that are extremely athletically gifted, but how much of their time is now being spent teaching a kid about football. NDSU is actually a college level education on football for these kids. This article has a couple tidbits on the success of recruiting as NDSU finds these guys early and stays connected with them during the whole process: http://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20100311/News/303119866.

"4. They could end up with an unfavorable schedule, meaning they could end up with a bad record. It would be nice if NDSU had a Big 10 schedule that included Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Purdue on the road and tough teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and Penn State at home."

This is the rub with every team in the Big Ten. If you want to be taken seriously at the end of the year for a BCS bowl, you have to navigate that perfectly, like everyone else. This has nothing to do with speed or talent. It has to do with coaching and discipline. If anyone wants to be be considered the best in the Big Ten, they can't use losing to Michigan on the road as an excuse because that is really hard and should be an exemption.

"Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin are all states that NDSU recruits heavily. Those states also happen to have schools in the Big 10. This is thee conference NDSU would have to put into."

Actually, I disagree with this. I think the only conference that makes sense for NDSU is the Big 12 (If you are talking P5 conferences). The Big 12 needs more schools to create two divisions. All but one school is in our time zone (but if they expanded to include a NDSU, they would go after BYU, as well so the number would be at least 2). They need to blow up their TV deals at the Tier 3 level and start a Big 12 Network and the best way to do it would be with a full contingent of schools and a playoff. So if he was going to do a comparison, he should have worked with the Big 12 in mind as if you are going to go with unrealistic goals, go with the one that makes more sense.

He was trying to come up with ways to argue that NDSU can't be in any argument when it comes to a BCS conference. His argument fails because he wants to handicap the Bison from the get go. The F/M area population-wise would be right about in the middle of the Big 12. It probably resembles mostly Waco, TX. There are a lot of features this moron leaves out when discussing whether the Bison could compete.

A better article would have been do we want to move up to such mediocrity as the Big 10 or Big 12? They are being treated as red headed step children by the other BCS conferences when December rolls around. (Full disclaimer: I had a red headed step brother who I treated with as much respect as anyone would have treated a red headed step brother.)

"However, they couldn’t lose a player like Grant Olson and still be competitive because the drop off in production between him and the next guy would be too significant to handle."

Well, we know that didn't happen!!!

ndsubison1
09-20-2014, 04:03 AM

He graduated from NDSU and is a Bison fan. Obviously he cant be a homer for his job.

ndsubison1
09-20-2014, 04:17 AM
thought it was Gebhert

it was champion