PDA

View Full Version : Radio Broadcasts

bison_once
09-16-2006, 01:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me who is covering Bison games in W. ND? *I was looking for the home opener a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it anywhere. *Usually 710 out of Bismarck or 660 out of Williston carried games in the past. *IMO the games should be carried by stations in Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston and Minot. *It doesn't do much for exposure if people living outside the FM area can't listen to the games.

What was even more disappointing, was the fact that the und opener was broadcast the following day. *:'(

Bisonguy
09-16-2006, 02:37 AM
The following is from the NU game preview on GoBison.com:

RADIO BROADCASTS: WDAY-AM 970, Fargo ... Scott Miller will handle the play-by-play. Former NDSU All-American and 11-year NFL great Phil Hansen will handle the color duties, while WDAY-TV sports director Steve Hallstrom will handle the sideline interviews ... Air time is set for 5:30 p.m. ... Bismarck (KLXX, 1270 AM) and Williston (KEYZ, 660 AM) are on the Bison Radio Network.

insane_ponderer
09-16-2006, 03:14 AM
And as always if you have access to the internet you can get the football games anywhere in the world from Thunder Radio

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ThunderRadio/

bison_once
09-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately 1270 has a very weak signal and if you are 50 miles outside of Bismarck you likely won't pick it up. *660 was carrying a preseason Vikings game. *

This weekend I am cutting out the middle man and will be in the Fabulous Fargodome!!

MinotBison
09-16-2006, 04:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me who is covering Bison games in W. ND? *I was looking for the home opener a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it anywhere. *Usually 710 out of Bismarck or 660 out of Williston carried games in the past. *IMO the games should be carried by stations in Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston and Minot. *It doesn't do much for exposure if people living outside the FM area can't listen to the games.

What was even more disappointing, was the fact that the und opener was broadcast the following day. *:'(

Up here in Minot, I can tell you from personal experience that you CAN BARELY, IF AT ALL, pick up the signal from stations 1270 and 660. In other words, we are SCREWED if you want to listen to the Bison game on the radio. Fortunately, the NU game is on TV, but for those games that aren't, what are we supposed to do up here? If memory serves, the games used to be carried on 550 KFYR out of Bismarck, which has a strong signal. Yes I suppose you could try and get it on the computer, but not everyone has access to a computer.

Bottom line, there are alot of alumni up here that would appreciate being able to listen to the game on the radio but can't. That school to the north of us doesn't have that problem. Why should we?

Bisonguy
09-16-2006, 04:40 AM
Any of you that are having troubles listening to the games should email Gene and voice your concerns. Hopefully NDSU can get back on the stronger stations.

DIBISON
09-16-2006, 04:52 AM
There still has not been an official announcement of the broadcast rights for NDSU. At first the Bison were negotiating with Clear Channel/KFGO but because the Bismarck stations were committed to other coverage the deal never got done. Then the negotiations began with WDAY yet there was no announcement.

WHO ARE the stations that are part of the radio network for NDSU and who will be doing the basketball broadcasts?

TheBisonator
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I remember a few years ago (in 2003 or so), Bison games were carried on affiliates in Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Bismarck, Minot, Williston and Dickinson. It seems like they cut the affiliate list dramatically. Why did that happen??

Bob_Holiday
09-16-2006, 05:29 PM
If you are concerned about radio coverage in western North Dakota, you should email Gene Taylor or Jeff Schwarz and let them know. If its after sundown, you can't pick up 1270 out of Bismarck 20 miles out of town. This is one area , when their negotiations with Clear Channel failed, that really suffered. Their original plan was to go with Dakota Sports Network, whatever that is, but that must have fallen through also. They are losing touch out here because of this
Go Bison
Bob Holiday

Bison13
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Flood them with emails!!!!!

MinotBison
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
If you are concerned about radio coverage in western North Dakota, you should email Gene Taylor or Jeff Schwarz and let them know. *If its after sundown, you can't pick up 1270 out of Bismarck 20 miles out of town. *This is one area , when their negotiations with Clear Channel failed, that really suffered. *Their original plan was to go with Dakota Sports Network, whatever that is, but that must have fallen through also. *They are losing touch out here because of this
Go Bison
Bob Holiday

What are their e-mail addresses? Let's get the ball rolling on this.

MinotBison
09-16-2006, 11:22 PM
THE GAME HAS STARTED. HERE IN MINOT, THERE IS NO RADIO COVERAGE AS WAS DISCUSSED EARLIER. AS FOR THE TV COVERAGE WE WERE PROMISED, WE ARE BEING FORCED TO WATCH THE END OF A GAME THAT ABSOLUTELY NO ONE IN THIS AREA CARES ABOUT. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST GAMES IN YEARS, AND WE UP HERE IN MINOT HAVE NO COVERAGE. WHAT THE #$%$^& IS GOING ON?????????????

MinotBison
09-16-2006, 11:35 PM
5 minutes to go in the first period and FINALLY the game is on. Better late than never, but who makes these decisions anyway?

tony
09-16-2006, 11:35 PM
The Forum's BisonZone is webcasting the TV coverage.

MinotBison
09-17-2006, 03:58 AM

Once more, with feeling. What are the e-mail addresses of Taylor and Schwartz?

Bisonguy
09-17-2006, 04:22 AM

Once more, with feeling. *What are the e-mail addresses of Taylor and Schwartz?

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=714&SPSI D=12302

Probably wouldn't hurt to email Simmers, as well.

MinotBison
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Up here in Minot, I can tell you from personal experience that you CAN BARELY, IF AT ALL, pick up the signal from stations 1270 and 660. *In other words, we are SCREWED if you want to listen to the Bison game on the radio. *Fortunately, the NU game is on TV, but for those games that aren't, what are we supposed to do up here? *If memory serves, the games used to be carried on 550 KFYR out of Bismarck, which has a strong signal. *Yes I suppose you could try and get it on the computer, but not everyone has access to a computer.

Bottom line, there are alot of alumni up here that would appreciate being able to listen to the game on the radio but can't. *That school to the north of us doesn't have that problem. *Why should we?

I e-mailed Gene T. about this situation, and got a very nice e-mail back.
He said that they had contacted two stations in Minot, KCJB and KRRZ who declined to carry the games. I know one of those stations carries the Minot State FB games (I'm not sure why given how dreadful the Beavers are this year), but the other doesn't. He also said that four of the FM stations in the area were contacted about carrying Bison games, but to no avail.

I would like to take this chance to encourage ANY AND ALL NDSU alumni in this part of the country to get ahold some of these stations and let them know that there is an interest in NDSU football.

Hopefully we can make something happen. It is a bum deal for us in the Minot area to be essentially without coverage.

roadwarrior
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
If you park your car on south hill in Minot and point it towards Fargo, on a good day you can just barely pick up the signal from WDAY.

MinotBison
09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
If you park your car on south hill in Minot and point it towards Fargo, on a good day you can just barely pick up the signal from WDAY.

I know. WDAY can occasionally come in pretty good. Still, a local station would be alot better.

I called, and here is some information regarding the radio stations here in Minot. Both of the AM stations, KCJB and KRRZ, as well as two of the FM stations, KYYX FM 97 and KZPR 105.3 are at the same location and (I am assuming) are all Clear Channel stations.

Here is the e-mail address for the program director:

AllisonBostow@clearchannel.com.

The mailing address is:
1000 20th Ave. S.W.
Minot, ND 58701
Ph: (701) 852-4646

MinotBison
09-19-2006, 02:52 PM

I know. *WDAY can occasionally come in pretty good. *Still, a local station would be alot better.

I called, and here is some information regarding the radio stations here in Minot. *Both of the AM stations, KCJB and KRRZ, as well as two of the FM stations, KYYX FM 97 and KZPR 105.3 are at the same location and (I am assuming) are all Clear Channel stations.

Here is the e-mail address for the program director:

AllisonBostow@clearchannel.com.

The mailing address is:
1000 20th Ave. S.W.
Minot, ND 58701
Ph: (701) 852-4646

I sent my message regarding the broadcast of Bison games. All you Minot area fans need to do the same. Thanks in advance! :D

MinotBison
09-24-2006, 01:41 AM
I heard the game clearly all night here in Minot from 660 in Williston, unlike last week. Whatever they may have done, thanks! It was appreciated.

Bisonguy
09-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Maybe they turned it up to eleven?

kchats
09-24-2006, 02:16 AM
You can always get the game via the internet on both GoBison.com All Access for home and select road games and In-Forum Bison Zone internet feed of the WDAY broadcast. I live in Olathe, Kansas and never miss a game because of the internet.

bison_once
09-24-2006, 02:29 AM
I listened to the game on 660 also, and it was coming in fine in Dickinson country. *GREAT WIN!!

Bison101
09-24-2006, 02:42 AM
This has got to be fixed ASAP! I am moving to the Minot area soon and will be seriously PO'd if there is not a local station carrying NDSU sports. Furthermore, as the Ag university in ND, isn't the market out west ours for the taking? Hopefully the day will come when all away games are on local tv in Nodak. Make it happen. We are the pride of North Dakota!

Bisonguy
09-24-2006, 02:47 AM
This has got to be fixed ASAP! I am moving to the Minot area soon and will be seriously PO'd if there is not a local station carrying NDSU sports. Furthermore, as the Ag university in ND, isn't the market out west ours for the taking? Hopefully the day will come when all away games our on local tv in Nodak. Make it happen. We are the pride of North Dakota!

make sure to email them about it.

NorthernBison
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Saturday's game at SFA was basically unavailable in the central part of the state. I was driving between Maddock and Rugby and got only snippets of the game. Towards the end of the game, I was listening to the Montana State / NAU game on 970 am. This is unacceptable. Usually 970 comes in decent but the last two weeks has been terrible. There aren't any alternatives unless you are home and can listen to the webcast.

MinotBison
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Saturday's game at SFA was basically unavailable in the central part of the state. *I was driving between Maddock and Rugby and got only snippets of the game. *Towards the end of the game, I was listening to the Montana State / NAU game on 970 am. *This is unacceptable. *Usually 970 comes in decent but the last two weeks has been terrible. *There aren't any alternatives unless you are home and can listen to the webcast.

I sent Gene T. an e-mail on this awhile back and received the following reply:

...I understand your frustration and concern and I agree with you. This
is an issue we have attempted to address by securing radio stations
in the communities that our fans are in. We were trying to secure
stations where our current stations might not cover. We contacted a
couple of AM stations in Minot, KCJB and KRRZ, to see if they would
carry the Bison. For various reasons they turned us down. Many of
the times it's programming conflicts such as high school coverage or
agreements with local colleges or even pro coverage. Also, many
times they just do not feel there is enough interest in the Bison in
their coverage area to carry us. In total we contacted 6 stations in
Minot the two AM's I mentioned and four FM stations. What would help
us as we continue to look to add stations to our coverage list, is
for fans like yourself, in the areas that need coverage would be to
contact a station or stations and express your interest in seeing
them carry NDSU athletics. If they feel there is a demand then that
will help us in securing a station in your area. We will continue to
work on this during the year but the one thing that will assist us
is interest from our fans in these areas not being covered.

Thanks for your support and we will continue to work on this for you.

Sincerely,

Gene Taylor

There maybe isn't much they can do about it for this year, but hopefully things can be rectified for next year. It's good that the GSU game is in the afternoon. Hopefully the reception will be better.