PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand why MW, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC, and Conf USA are not in FCS?

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2014, 12:58 AM
I have not been around long enough to get it, but clearly the big 5 want nothing to do with these conferences so why not actually play for a national title? Why does everyone ask why NDSU does not move up, instead of why they conferences do not move down?

I'll hang up and listen.

HandoEX
09-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Money.
(10 char)

DePereBisonFan
09-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Here's another way of putting it. Why do FBS teams keep playing FBS games? Today Oregon beat Wyoming by 34 points...why do they even keep scheduling teams like that? Missouri beat UCF by 28. Syracuse beat Central Michigan by 35 points. Etc.

I think my point is...people get mad about FBS scheduling FCS and they exhibit lopsided scores to prove their point. But FBS over FBS can have just as many lopsided scores. FCS has decent quality football relative to FBS.

onbison09
09-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Money.
(10 char)
TV contracts more specifically. I go to a school that plays in CUSA (which is fairly decent) and the upper tier G5 teams would do very well (or probably win every year if the Bison weren't in it, thinking of Marshall this year) in FCS. The lower tier teams would beat up on lower to middle tier FCS teams. I think the Bison could win any group of 5 conference. Tough to measure what more scholarship depth would do over the course of a year so I don't think we would roll through any conference. But you make a great point. That being said, it will never happen.

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Here's another way of putting it. Why do FBS teams keep playing FBS games? Today Oregon beat Wyoming by 34 points...why do they even keep scheduling teams like that? Missouri beat UCF by 28. Syracuse beat Central Michigan by 35 points. Etc.

I think my point is...people get mad about FBS scheduling FCS and they exhibit lopsided scores to prove their point. But FBS over FBS can have just as many lopsided scores. FCS has decent quality football relative to FBS.

And THAT is exactly part of the reason I am asking the question. And can someone please explain to me the "money" difference to make it worth it? Clearly, they have higher expenses, too....

missingnumber7
09-14-2014, 04:59 AM
And THAT is exactly part of the reason I am asking the question. And can someone please explain to me the "money" difference to make it worth it? Clearly, they have higher expenses, too....

Because you can finish 6-6 and take your entire athletic department to the famous idaho potatos bowl on dec 20th

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Crazy part is how little this gets talked about. Everyone talks about NDSU moving up, when in reality, those teams should not be in FBS. I really, really hope the P5 shut out those conferences forcing them back into NDSU's level. Media coverage would be forced to improve for MVFC when folks realize the conference is better than every one of these, except, maybe, Mountain West.

NDSUstudent
09-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I have not been around long enough to get it, but clearly the big 5 want nothing to do with these conferences so why not actually play for a national title? Why does everyone ask why NDSU does not move up, instead of why they conferences do not move down?

I'll hang up and listen.

There is money like many have said and also they don't want to be associated with the FCS.

semobison
09-14-2014, 03:27 PM

And a ranked FCS team can lose to a DII team 47-21. Ask Sammy, and they they were down 47-7. Any Given Saturday!

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2014, 04:01 PM
There is money like many have said and also they don't want to be associated with the FCS.
So they move down and the money goes away? That is exactly what I am getting at and don't understand....

NDSUstudent
09-14-2014, 04:10 PM
So they move down and the money goes away? That is exactly what I am getting at and don't understand....

The money would diminish for sure.

Also like I said these conferences have no desire to join the FCS and be associated with some of the schools in the FCS.

NorthernBison
09-14-2014, 04:38 PM

You're thinking about it backwards. The money will disappear and then there will be a move.

The Bowl Scam will remain as it is (30+ Bowls) as long as the playoff remains at 4 teams.

As soon as we move to an 8 team playoff (7 games), the rest of the Bowls will disappear, the G5 conferences will be effectively locked out, and there will be an opportunity for an expanded 2nd tier playoff.

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2014, 04:55 PM
You're thinking about it backwards. The money will disappear and then there will be a move.

The Bowl Scam will remain as it is (30+ Bowls) as long as the playoff remains at 4 teams.

As soon as we move to an 8 team playoff (7 games), the rest of the Bowls will disappear, the G5 conferences will be effectively locked out, and there will be an opportunity for an expanded 2nd tier playoff.

Okay, here again, I need some education. Seems to me I've heard that when you go to "whogivesashit" bowl, you have to guarentee so many tickets, so you still take it in the shorts. Am I missing something?

NorthernBison
09-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Okay, here again, I need some education. Seems to me I've heard that when you go to "whogivesashit" bowl, you have to guarentee so many tickets, so you still take it in the shorts. Am I missing something?

What you are missing is the distribution to the conferences.

All that goes away once there is a real playoff at the highest level. All the whogivesashit Bowls disappear.

What will probably never be uttered publicly is the fact that the G5 conferences will NEVER be guaranteed a spot in the playoff and programs like Boise, BYU, etc will solve that by accepting P5 offers.

56BISON73
09-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Crazy part is how little this gets talked about. Everyone talks about NDSU moving up, when in reality, those teams should not be in FBS. I really, really hope the P5 shut out those conferences forcing them back into NDSU's level. Media coverage would be forced to improve for MVFC when folks realize the conference is better than every one of these, except, maybe, Mountain West.

Media coverage is improving and going to get better according to JJ. He has been working on relationships. They are now calling him. This takes time.

56BISON73
09-14-2014, 08:53 PM

The ticket guarantee are now negotiated. If they come up short on sales the conference as a whole absorbs the loss. Thats the way the bigs now handle it.