PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Feature Story Ideas for Mr. Fitting

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Let's help out Mr. Fitting and the crew on what to feature on Gameday part deaux:

State of the FCS and what the future holds with obvious discussion of the P5 power play. Should appeal to all fans.

In depth on NDSU's championship tradition with a focus on how they do it in such a sparsely populated area. That would cash in on the "Fargo" factor for the average Joe since part of the reason they like NDSU is simply that they are in where they consider the middle of nowhere.

The delemna that top FCS teams face when considering a FBS move. Include interviews with Ap St. and Boise St. Not sure this one appeals to the average Joe, but I would love it.

Okay, now your turn. Who knows, they may check this thread when doing research/planning.

bisonmike2
09-08-2014, 02:17 PM
How about a story on the continued ban of Lakesbison from Bisonville.com?

MNLonghorn10
09-08-2014, 02:21 PM
How about a story on the continued ban of Lakesbison from Bisonville.com?

Whys this purple?

The people demand answers Damn it!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

TransAmBison
09-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Prolly should address charcoal vs gas grilling...but I don't know if they have a long enough segment for the charcoal.

SDbison
09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Not so much feature story ideas, but they need to show the pic of chubs sign now (calling out Corso's pick of Iowa State, and no free drinks, pay double now).......also play recent video of Corso saying he doesn't care about that Bison ("Corso").

PlainsBison
09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Why the poor winter weather helps everyone focus on strength and conditioning. No beaches, ski slopes, etc.

SDbison
09-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Prolly should address charcoal vs gas grilling...but I don't know if they have a long enough segment for the charcoal. I think there should be a serious investigative story on guys who wear big yellow coats.

MAKBison
09-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Herbstad (SP) re tweeted 9 t
Not so much feature story ideas, but they need to show the pic of chubs sign now (calling out Corso's pick of Iowa State, and no free drinks, pay double now).......also play recent video of Corso saying he doesn't care about that Bison ("Corso").

BisonNation11
09-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Actual facts about our past National Championships and the divisions they were won in. A showing of the history of Bison football should be in there somewhere. College football is all about tradition and history.

I would like to see interviews with current and past players and why they came to Fargo and why they stayed once they got here. We preach "Those who stay will be champions". It'd be nice to hear the perspective of the players and what that means to them. It may be easy to choose to come here given the recent success, but it's a whole new ball game once you start putting in the work.

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Okay, let's get this back on track.

Another very good story would be why all the talk of P5 scheduling FCS games, when non P5 school often are much worse? Back it up with numbers. I think the average fan would have their eyes opened.

tjbison
09-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd like them to actually show that Fargo isn't just a little dump, with 90,000 people in the middle of nowhere, need to showcase its a vibrant growing city of 220,000+ with lots of bedroom communities with in an hour drive! last year they commented the city could fit in michigans big house! well yeah but not the entire area, and most of the college towns they hit could fit in the stadiums

world needs to know there is more to the area

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I'd like them to actually show that Fargo isn't just a little dump, with 90,000 people in the middle of nowhere, need to showcase its a vibrant growing city of 220,000+ with lots of bedroom communities with in an hour drive! last year they commented the city could fit in michigans big house! well yeah but not the entire area, and most of the college towns they hit could fit in the stadiums

I think we would all love this, but we have to remember the typical person who watches. Not sure they would care, frankly.

tjbison
09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I think we would all love this, but we have to remember the typical person who watches. Not sure they would care, frankly.

they could roll it into recruiting, like with the amount of DI level players starting to show up since 2003 or something, make it a twist with a greater point

you know kind of like a subliminal message

Bison03
09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Last year's main feature on NDSU was about getting to know NDSU and stating "You don't even know what you don't know about NDSU." This gave people watching a great summary about who we are, about our mascot, and about our home field atmosphere. I think if another story about us is done; it needs to go deeper. Talk about our storied football tradition of championships, not just the past 3. Talk about Bison Pride, where the term came from, and what it means to current and former players. Talk about "Once a Bison, always a Bison" and how the brotherhood of former players is strong. Talk about how kids with a chip on their shoulder and even kids from small towns in North Dakota can be impact players at the DI level. Talk about coach Kramer and how me makes the players into freak athletes with amazing stamina that allow them to dominate games late; especially against FBS teams.

tjbison
09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Last year's main feature on NDSU was about getting to know NDSU and stating "You don't even know what you don't know about NDSU." This gave people watching a great summary about who we are, about our mascot, and about our home field atmosphere. I think if another story about us is done; it needs to go deeper. Talk about our storied football tradition of championships, not just the past 3. Talk about Bison Pride, where the term came from, and what it means to current and former players. Talk about "Once a Bison, always a Bison" and how the brotherhood of former players is strong. Talk about how kids with a chip on their shoulder and even kids from small towns in North Dakota can be impact players at the DI level. Talk about coach Kramer and how me makes the players into freak athletes with amazing stamina that allow them to dominate games late; especially against FBS teams.

let's hide Kramer from the world, we need to keep him here:hide:

Hail bison
09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
let's hide Kramer from the world, we need to keep him here:hide:

Here here!

EC8CH
09-08-2014, 03:30 PM
With the Mayor of Frisco coming up maybe they could do a story about the atmosphere of the FCS playoffs in Fargo and the title game in Frisco particularly. Seeing as how the big thing this year in the FBS is their new "playoff" this would tie into that story line.

Would be a great way to showcase the support Bison Nation gives to the NDSU football program.

B. b. bison
09-08-2014, 03:35 PM

I agree. In addition, I think a central part of the narrative for NDSU this year will be playoff history. ESPN is pimping the four team playoff hard. ESPN also highlights NDSU as playing ball at the level of a lot of P5 schools. What does NDSU have that those schools don't? A history of success competing in a playoff setting. What does it take to be 'the man who beat the man'? ask NDSU.

BadlandsGrizFan
09-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Why would they do that? If you don't convey Fargo as being cold and in the middle of nowhere than its just like every other gameday town....being in the middle of nowhere is what makes Fargo a cool setting for gameday.

kab1one
09-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Is this a gameday piece, or does the state or city buy advertising so the message is what they want presented versus what Game Day may show.

You see it on the football games in which the schools run their PSA's, this is Auburn a world class.. ETCCC.

Maybe Fargo, Cass/Clay county needs to do the same. Buy an ad and give the message exactly as you want it. Show it as a place that is warm, it is supposed to be a sunny day at least on Friday. Show the lakes areas.

Tell the story that is low unemployment, thousands of jobs, the schools, ag and medical are booming.

Spend 20k for a 1 minute advertising.

HerdBot
09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
How about a story how the state has massive surpluses but hoard the money and do nothing to help maintain crumbling buildings much less grow NDSU. :rofl:

SDbison
09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
How about a story how the state has massive surpluses but hoard the money and do nothing to help maintain crumbling buildings much less grow NDSU. :rofl:
Now that would be a story..........point out all the stubborness of the ND state legislature mainly due to graduates from the outhouse to the north.

Hail bison
09-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Is Gameday an opportunity to showcase NDSU, or is it an opportunity to showcase Fargo and the state of North Dakota? I could care less about the average viewer's perception of our region. What I do care about is the perception potential recruits and their parents have about the school and area. The curiosity and mystery Fargo seems to evoke is good for NDSU. Same can be said of the state with it's oil boom. At the end of the day, Gameday will hopefully be about the BISON and our history/tradition. Charlie Johnson and the state tourism director can buy the billboards. ESPN will do a good job and NDSU will only benefit.

kab1one
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Is Gameday an opportunity to showcase NDSU, or is it an opportunity to showcase Fargo and the state of North Dakota? I could care less about the average viewer's perception of our region. What I do care about is the perception potential recruits and their parents have about the school and area. The curiosity and mystery Fargo seems to evoke is good for NDSU. Same can be said of the state with it's oil boom. At the end of the day, Gameday will hopefully be about the BISON and our history/tradition. Charlie Johnson and the state tourism director can buy the billboards. ESPN will do a good job and NDSU will only benefit.

That is why I said for Fargo, Cass County, State of ND to buy advertising time to showcase what is going on. If you think anyone knows what is going on up here outside of the region you are dreaming. People in Minneapolis have no clue. GameDay is going to run their stories. But stop and think about, Sid Hartman used to say, come to the U of M there would be a job at the back end of college. Same thing here. Come to Fargo for athletics, for an education and guess what? You can get a job. Last night on CBS news, story of the how the average college student is now earning $2,000 more than a high school grad. Makes you wonder if the $50k to go to college is worth. You think someone or some business is going to come to Fargo because of banners in down town Fargo you are mistaken. You have 3 hour advertisement on a nice day, downtown, looks cool, great team. But you need to tell the story of what else is here.

And again, this isn't done well.

Bison bison
09-08-2014, 06:14 PM
I think they should have an expose on how close fargo is to the lakes country.

JMB
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Okay, let's get this back on track.

Another very good story would be why all the talk of P5 scheduling FCS games, when non P5 school often are much worse? Back it up with numbers. I think the average fan would have their eyes opened.

It would also be interesting to talk about how those games help the smaller schools budgets. However ESPN Gameday has generally come out opposed to those games.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Great story right here...

Tim Polasek had just finished cutting down trees for the day in the Wisconsin woods when he scrambled to answer his ringing cell phone. The call eight years ago was from North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl, who wanted to hire Polasek, then a part-time lumberjack and assistant at Wisconsin-Stevens Point, an NCAA Division III school. Bohl was offering Polasek a graduate assistant position at the FCS school, a job that would pay less money than he was making in his two combined gigs.

Polasek accepted, but he had a bigger problem. He didn’t have the money to make the eight-hour drive to his new job. So he sold his driver to a local golf pro to get gas money. Upon his arrival, Polasek slept on the floor of the Fargodome for two weeks.

Now, the North Dakota State offensive coordinator is one of college football’s rising young assistants and played a big part in the Bison’s season-opening 34-14 rout of Iowa State. They racked up 506 yards of total offense and scored all their points after a 14-0 deficit in their fifth straight win vs. an FBS team. “It’s a heartwarming story,” said Bohl.

This season is Polasek’s first back in Fargo and as an offensive coordinator after spending last year as the tight ends and fullbacks coach at Northern Illinois. Before that, he was an assistant at North Dakota State for six years after just one season as a graduate assistant. The intense 35-year-old was also a key recruiter in securing former Bison star quarterback Brock Jensen. He led the program to three consecutive FCS national championships (2011-13) under Bohl, now Wyoming’s first-year coach.

“He’s hungry,” Bohl said of Polasek. “He does a marvelous job. He’s a really good person and a really good football coach.”

Eventually, Polasek got the money to buy his driver back. It turns out the local golf pro never had any intention of selling it. “He was just trying to help Tim out,” Bohl said.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/08/inside-read-pac-12-big-ten-college-football-playoff-virginia-tech

marenlee
09-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Great story right here...

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/08/inside-read-pac-12-big-ten-college-football-playoff-virginia-tech

Wow... Had no idea Tim had that kind of background. Makes me like him even more!

Bison_Pride
09-09-2014, 02:24 AM
I think they would touch on what Dudzik said. Players come and go and so do the coaches, but the culture stays the same. 50 years of tradition. Show all the trophies. Interview guys on why they come here. Response: "It's to win championships" A group of tough kids on the prairie who bond together, and play a physical brand of football. Show a montage of our defensive players delivering crushing blows. The list of coaches who have led the team to championships, then introduce the next in line - Coach K.

Next segment: Binge drinking!! http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/07/06/states-drinking-most-beer/12025609/
or no?

HerdBot
09-09-2014, 11:50 AM
How about Mike Dragosovich and how he's given back to NDSU by publishing Bison Illustrated and opening up a Bison Restaurant

SDbison
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
A story about how well the Bison fans travel.......all the big custom tailgating buses. According to fans at FBS schools we have played nobody brings anything like it.

reformedUNDfan
09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
The 2009 flood and the role of the dome.

SDbison
09-09-2014, 04:22 PM
The 2009 flood and the role of the dome. Really? Lets get as far away from the purpose of Gameday's visit.....NOT!

reformedUNDfan
09-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Really? Lets get as far away from the purpose of Gameday's visit.....NOT!
I don't understand your criticism. The Dome is a well known venue that people know little about. The story would tell alot about the school, the community, and the programs history. It's right up Rinaldi's alley.

gumby013
09-09-2014, 04:53 PM
A story on the new dome we are building.

If it's on TV it must be true.

Hail bison
09-09-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't understand your criticism. The Dome is a well known venue that people know little about. The story would tell alot about the school, the community, and the programs history. It's right up Rinaldi's alley.

It's fine if Fargo gets some attention with this Gameday visit. Hell, the curiosity of Fargo is one of the reasons the show is coming again. However, I think many of us would like to see the focus on NDSU and, to a degree, the state of North Dakota. This is not Fargo State University. I get very irritated with channel 6 news, the Forum and yesterday's Gabriel program putting all the focus on how Gameday affects Fargo. I think many on this board forget ESPN is coming to NDSU. And yes, I do not live in Fargo.

reformedUNDfan
09-09-2014, 07:21 PM
It's fine if Fargo gets some attention with this Gameday visit. Hell, the curiosity of Fargo is one of the reasons the show is coming again. However, I think many of us would like to see the focus on NDSU and, to a degree, the state of North Dakota. This is not Fargo State University. I get very irritated with channel 6 news, the Forum and yesterday's Gabriel program putting all the focus on how Gameday affects Fargo. I think many on this board forget ESPN is coming to NDSU. And yes, I do not live in Fargo.
I can't imagine how they could do such a story without NDSU figuring into it heavily, let alone why they would want to.

Also I'm more guessing what it will be about than what I'd like it to be about. I'd rather they talk about the 80's.

bisonaudit
09-09-2014, 07:33 PM

I don't live in Fargo either but anything that helps illustrate to Fargoans the positive impacts of having NDSU in the city and thriving is a good thing for NDSU.

Hail bison
09-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I can't imagine how they could do such a story without NDSU figuring into it heavily, let alone why they would want to.

Also I'm more guessing what it will be about than what I'd like it to be about. I'd rather they talk about the 80's.

I'm not suggesting the focus won't be NDSU first and foremost. I am hoping the state of North Dakota, as a whole, gets as much play as the city of Fargo. NDSU is located in Fargo, but belongs to the state. Not that it will happen, but if Gameday did a piece on the 2009 flood I would barf on Broadway. I know you suggested doing a story on the dome and the flood was just part of it's history. Not trying to paint you in a corner.

Hail bison
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't live in Fargo either but I anything that helps illustrate to Fargoans the positive impacts of having NDSU in the city and thriving is a good thing for NDSU.

I agree with you. In the end, this Gameday visit benefits NDSU, the city and state. I'm just irritated with the local media right now, particularly Forum Communications.

BISONBRI
09-09-2014, 09:38 PM
A story on the Fargo Dome support columns... It would open it up for architects around the world to come up with ways to remove them. Making the dome bigger, allowing us to move up to FBS, getting better video boards, better TV's in the concourse and more yard signs for Gabe! :biggrin:

SDbison
09-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Before they start talking about the dome being a sandbag factory there is like 100 other more relevant stories. How about a few minute summary of what happened to get the winning tradition started at NDSU in the early 1960's and a few more minutes about the results of the past 50 years? I don't think they did any of that last time. Maybe show some shots of the numerous fan owned custom buses that go to home and away games. Also, all the support at away games and the tailgating at home games that was recently ranked #4 in the nation? Maybe a review of some of the great NFL players from NDSU......Nelson, Robinson, Braxton, Hanson, others? Just sayin!

SDbison
09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
A story on the Fargo Dome support columns... It would open it up for architects around the world to come up with ways to remove them. Making the dome bigger, allowing us to move up to FBS, getting better video boards, better TV's in the concourse and more yard signs for Gabe! :biggrin: More appropriately have a story about how the dome has been selling out for years now and with a capacity of only 19,000 there is currently demand for about 10,000 more seats for most every game. NDSU stuck with no way to increase capacity due to the domes design and no way to fund a new facility due to lack of bonding allowed by state legislature. If anybody out there wants to spend their money on a stadium for a winner here is their opportunity!

roadwarrior
09-10-2014, 02:36 AM
The big story will be ESPN announcing the plans for the new 35,000 seat domed stadium at NDSU which will be named ESPNDome (funded entirely by the network).

Tatanka
09-10-2014, 02:40 AM
The big story will be ESPN announcing the plans for the new 35,000 domed stadium at NDSU which will be named ESPNDome (funded entirely by the network).

I noticed you omitted the unit of measure. I will assume "square microZenners"

dewey
09-10-2014, 03:21 AM
How about a story about Jordan Peterson and all he went through with the double lung transplant. Also how the NDSU community raised money and put them up in a hotel for the 2012 FCS Championship game.

Could also do a story about how well NDS travels and how they brought roughly 18000 fans about 1000 miles to Frisco.

For the record architects would have very little to do with any columns in the Fargodome being relocated/removed. That would be a the structural engineer's role. Simply put architects make things look pretty and engineers make it work.

Dewey

56BISON73
09-10-2014, 05:06 AM
I am disappointed no one has mentioned sausage?????? Whats up with that?

Gully
09-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. I've heard some talk of rebranding NDSU to something with Fargo in the name since it may have more appeal to people out of the region.

Bison03
09-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Not sure what you saw last year. But they talked about NDSU and the football team the mojority of the time when they were discussing us here. Other then talking briefly about the Fargo theater and the woodchipper (which is sort of dumb, but hey embrace the movie) they were all over talking about the football program, coach, beating FBS schools, national championships, being favored in Vegas odds, telling people what they don't know about NDSU. I think they will do this again and even better. This is a football show; they are going to talk about NDSU football, like they did last year.

Hammerhead
09-10-2014, 02:09 PM
The Weber State fans that sat in front of us said they were shocked at how many Bison fans were at the game. They even commented that Montana doesn't bring as many fans and Missoula is roughly twice as close as Fargo.

A story about how well the Bison fans travel.......all the big custom tailgating buses. According to fans at FBS schools we have played nobody brings anything like it.

Bison bison
09-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Please no human interest stories.

Would be almost as out of place as having Rush Limbaugh on.

EC8CH
09-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Please no human interest stories.

Except maybe Corso kissing and making up with his Bison namesake for his insensitive comments before the ISU game.

That's just good TV.

Hail bison
09-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I've heard some talk of rebranding NDSU to something with Fargo in the name since it may have more appeal to people out of the region.

Point taken

Gully
09-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Point taken

Ok, so I was just messing with you. We should remember though, that over 1/2 of NDSU students are not from North Dakota (I think anyway). I like the whole regional university angle. It's nice that the there is a huge swath of area without BCS schools for NDSU to fill.

Hail bison
09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok, so I was just messing with you. We should remember though, that over 1/2 of NDSU students are not from North Dakota (I think anyway). I like the whole regional university angle. It's nice that the there is a huge swath of area without BCS schools for NDSU to fill.

I know you were and I see your point.

Rock
09-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Beano Cook passed away in October 2012 original member of the Gameday panel, described the bison as a top ten team regardless of division in 1986. Way ahead of his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TateMosersneighbor
09-10-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd like to see a story on Dacotah field and the Champions Room and Dutch Elm disease.

Bison bison
09-10-2014, 10:00 PM
They should do one on this guy who went to school at NDSU, moved away, then came back, and goes to football games.

gumby013
09-10-2014, 10:03 PM
They should do one on this guy who went to school at NDSU, moved away, then came back, and goes to football games.

I'm not a good subject for a story.

TateMosersneighbor
09-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Roadwarrior's streak would be awesome...

BisonNation11
09-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Roadwarrior's streak would be awesome...

Did that last year. Not to take anything away from Road. You could also have read this earlier in the thread.

heymch86
09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I think since the Frisco mayor will be in town, I agree a feature story on Frisco and ESPN talking to the businesses about NDSU and how a school in North Dakota, has taken over a town for a weekend, 3 straight years. They could describe how those businesses openly cheer on the Bison as they know how much support and fun it has been for them the past 3 seasons.

MAKBison
09-10-2014, 10:44 PM
I thought they already released that the story was going to be on lawn darts wait...wrong thread so so Confused!!!!!

TateMosersneighbor
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Did that last year. Not to take anything away from Road. You could also have read this earlier in the thread.

That's right they did. Yeah I guess we need to read EVERY single post of EVERY single page of EACH thread to ensure that no one wastes any time on Bisonville. Thanks mom.

BisonNation11
09-11-2014, 01:06 PM
That's right they did. Yeah I guess we need to read EVERY single post of EVERY single page of EACH thread to ensure that no one wastes any time on Bisonville. Thanks mom.

You're welcome, son. Was just stating a fact.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM

I am suprised to hear that somene doesn't read every post on a every page. There is always good and valuable information on every page /purple

bisonaudit
09-11-2014, 07:51 PM
A little something on the players who helped get the program through the transition would be cool.

TateMosersneighbor
09-11-2014, 08:11 PM
A little something on the players who helped get the program through the transition would be cool.

Agree. They should be honored at a game down the road.

TateMosersneighbor
09-11-2014, 08:15 PM
I am suprised to hear that somene doesn't read every post on a every page. There is always good and valuable information on every page /purple

I am currently reviewing every post from every page from every thread so I soak in the gluttony of valuable information...and I also wouldn't want to post something that was posted earlier in a thread or heaven forbid forget something from a year ago. You should see the post-it notes I have..."don't post anything about firing Vigen"..."don't post anything about whether Feeney is a top 5 QB ever at NDSU"...don't post anything about Dacotah field...it's exhausting!

BlueBisonRock
09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I am currently reviewing every post from every page from every thread so I soak in the gluttony of valuable information...and I also wouldn't want to post something that was posted earlier in a thread or heaven forbid forget something from a year ago. You should see the post-it notes I have..."don't post anything about firing Vigen"..."don't post anything about whether Feeney is a top 5 QB ever at NDSU"...don't post anything about Dacotah field...it's exhausting!

Sorry Neighbor, butt this has all been stated before! Redundancy is redundant!

:hide:

Oh, /purple!!!

Won't you be my neighbor.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
09-13-2014, 03:09 AM
"Fowler highlighted two features that are slated for Saturday's show, one on non-Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks who have had great careers and one on FCS schools that have moved or debated a move to FBS. Beyond that, there should be some "surprises and twists" that people will enjoy, he said."

I am really curious to see how the segement about schools moving up is going to end up.

Anyways found this info at http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/ESPN-analysts-expected-return-trip-to-North-Dakota-5751443.php

Bison03
09-13-2014, 05:25 AM
McFeely tweeted of a pic of the national championship banner at the gameday set. Sounds like the I unveiling will be on gameday!! Awesome!!

Hammerhead
09-13-2014, 05:32 PM
I liked Chuck Klosterman's report on the 1980s teams. It could have been better if they mentioned the championship teams from the 60s when we were in the college division which was the 2nd highest level of football back then. Next time Gameday is in town, they should highlight Bison who played in the NFL. :)