PDA

View Full Version : GSMB invited to Dublin in 2015!

DjKyRo
09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UyHXycV.jpg

Bison Gal
09-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Wow.....what an honor!

Tatanka
09-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Awesome!!!!
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.

BisBison
09-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Time for a road trip to Ireland!! Tailgating for the St Pat's parade in Dublin.

marenlee
09-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Now NDSU needs to be invited to open up the college football season in Ireland.

Hammersmith
09-07-2014, 07:20 PM
And now the fundraising(and student loans) begin. Have fun with that.

TbonZach
09-07-2014, 07:39 PM

It's actually open to friends and family of the band and band alumni.

And now the fundraising(and student loans) begin. Have fun with that.

*cough* *cough* *holds out hat* :biggrin:

BisonTeacher
09-07-2014, 10:07 PM

This. Ive heard we travel well.

MAKBison
09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
OK cool, but why were we invited.....is this like some gypsy driveway asphalt scam or is this some legit deal or do we have in somewhere. Just curious

TbonZach
09-07-2014, 10:29 PM
OK cool, but why were we invited.....is this like some gypsy driveway asphalt scam or is this some legit deal or do we have in somewhere. Just curious

It's 100% on the level. When my uncle was the director of bands over at Illinois State, the Big Red Marching Machine went several times. How or why the GSMB got an invite, I'm not quite sure. But they did and they're going. We could have gone a few years ago but there wasn't that much interest or planning time (due to cost and not finding out until October) then.

Hammersmith
09-07-2014, 10:31 PM

It's because we have green uniforms.

Kyle or Zach can confirm if correct, but Sigurd probably applied to the parade. NDSU choirs have been taking European trips for decades. Generally once every three or four years. I think the bands have been trying to get into the same kind of deal. Eventually, they'll need to get into some kind of rotation. Something like 1. Choir, 2. Band, 3. Marching Band/Jazz Ensemble. Rinse and repeat.

Here are some photo galleries of the last few years: http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/gallery

Photos show Purdue's MB was there in 2013.

TbonZach
09-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Kyle or Zach can confirm if correct, but Sigurd probably applied to the parade. NDSU choirs have been taking European trips for decades. Generally once every three or four years. I think the bands have been trying to get into the same kind of deal. Eventually, they'll need to get into some kind of rotation. Something like 1. Choir, 2. Band, 3. Marching Band/Jazz Ensemble. Rinse and repeat.

Here are some photo galleries of the last few years: http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/gallery

That's one thing I was always jealous of the choir. The biggest trips the Conc....er...Wind Symphony went on in my time were Chicago and Winnipeg. They were both my first and only trips there so it was a big deal to me, I guess.

Hammersmith
09-07-2014, 10:44 PM
That's one thing I was always jealous of the choir. The biggest trips the Conc....er...Wind Symphony went on in my time were Chicago and Winnipeg. They were both my first and only trips there so it was a big deal to me, I guess.

Chicago and Memphis for me. Missed Seattle by a year on either side. Was also jealous of the choirs.

MAKBison
09-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a sweet deal nice pics

taper
09-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Was also jealous of the choirs.
That is something that should never be said.

BTW, any band alumni that will be at Homecoming should be part of the Old Star Band(alumni band). I'm on the board, PM me if you didn't get our newsletter.

Hammersmith
09-08-2014, 12:42 AM
That is something that should never be said.

BTW, any band alumni that will be at Homecoming should be part of the Old Star Band(alumni band). I'm on the board, PM me if you didn't get our newsletter.

I got the newsletter. I'm tempted since I was a drum major alongside Amy Jo for a year, but I can't play sax anymore and I can't hold a euph(secondary inst) while standing. I was with the OSB back during the 100th anniversary celebration, but it felt really uncomfortable to be out on the field w/o an instrument.

As for the jealous: for Europe and that reason only. Their European tour also cost us our soprano and alto saxes for one year of our quartet tour. It sucked not doing all three years with the same personnel.

taper
09-08-2014, 01:20 AM
There's a bunch of others that come to the morning session and the game but don't march. We could give you a set of cymbals too. Welcome to come in any case.

SDbison
09-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Did we tell them we don't wear the Kelly Green?

A1pigskin
09-09-2014, 02:03 AM
That's awesome to be invited.

WYOBISONMAN
09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
This has some serious road trip potential. I think I will start to watch air fares.

TbonZach
03-20-2015, 04:06 AM
http://www.wday.com/news/3702126-gold-star-marching-band-plays-st-patricks-festival-parade-ireland

We got back to Fargo around 3:00am Thursday morning. This was a trip that I'll never forget.

HerdBot
03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
The "Lord Mayor?"
Does he carry a sword?
But yes that is pretty kick ass they get the invite.

imabison
03-20-2015, 03:37 PM
The "Lord Mayor?"
Does he carry a sword?
But yes that is pretty kick ass they get the invite.

And the Irish group Full Set Music was following some photos and liked the fact you were in Dublin.
Full Set Music is a young traditional irish band, and their lead singer has a golden voice.

imabison
03-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Were the Black Berets just easier to travel with or was it a cultural item??

imabison
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/st-patricks-day-parade-pictures-and-videos-from-belfast-dublin-and-downpatrick-to-new-york-and-london-31072126.html

I found this link of videos but at work they are blocked could be some GSMB in one of them.

TbonZach
03-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Were the Black Berets just easier to travel with or was it a cultural item??

They were easier to travel with. We were going to ship the regular hats but it became too much of a hassle - logistically and monetarily.

imabison
03-20-2015, 07:11 PM
They were easier to travel with. We were going to ship the regular hats but it became too much of a hassle - logistically and monetarily.

Thanks........