PDA

View Full Version : Webcast????

TransAmBison
10-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Hate to start a new thread to rehash an old subject, but want to keep on this topic. Anybody know of a webcast for the Georgia Southern? Any info would be appreciated.

Bisonfan1
10-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Hate to start a new thread to rehash an old subject, but want to keep on this topic. *Anybody know of a webcast for the Georgia Southern? *Any info would be appreciated.

This subject should be rehashed. Why are the games that are televised all home games (besides Minnesota) when they are not sold out ? How can a DII North Dakota School have all thier games on CSI cable in Jamestown every Saturday ? - contract I imagine. How does NDSU expect to attract a larger following and larger home attendance when they are televising more home games than away games? I dont understand why at the very least, even if it is somewhat not the greatest quality in production, have all the away games webcast? I dont have the answear to this, but maybe somebody does. Georgia Southern is a HUGE game this weekend and it is just criminal that the Bison faithful cannot VIEW this game. I was looking forward to the Northeastern game and the return of Rocky as much as anybody, but if it was announced no TV unless sold out could have made a differance in a sold out dome or not, that makes much more sense to me, heck that was somewhat close to a sellout and should have been. Isnt the SDSU game going to be televised in November, I dont remember hearing about a sell out game yet. If it is cold out ( and probably will be) how many fans are going to find it much more convienent to sit at home and watch the tube than attend the game.

SDbison
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Hate to start a new thread to rehash an old subject, but want to keep on this topic. *Anybody know of a webcast for the Georgia Southern? *Any info would be appreciated.

This subject should be rehashed. Why are the games that are televised all home games (besides Minnesota) when they are not sold out ? How can a DII North Dakota School have all thier games on CSI cable in Jamestown every Saturday ? - contract I imagine. How does NDSU expect to attract a larger following and larger home attendance when they are televising more home games than away games? I dont understand why at the very least, even if it is somewhat not the greatest quality in production, have all the away games webcast? I dont have the answear to this, but maybe somebody does. Georgia Southern is a HUGE game this weekend and it is just criminal that the Bison faithful cannot VIEW this game. I was looking forward to the Northeastern game and the return of Rocky as much as anybody, but if it was announced no TV unless sold out could have made a differance in a sold out dome or not, that makes much more sense to me, heck that was somewhat close to a sellout and should have been. Isnt the SDSU game going to be televised in November, I dont remember hearing about a sell out game yet. If it is cold out ( and probably will be) how many fans are going to find it much more convienent to sit at home and watch the tube than attend the game.
You should send the above paragraph in a e-mail to Simmers, Bohl, Taylor and Chapman. *This is one area where the university sells itself short. *WTF, if the losers to the north can do it we should be able to do it 5 times better. *Another gripe I have is charging for the web access. *What do you think the total annual revenue is for all sports for Bisonzone and All Access? *I doubt it is much over $10,000 combined. *If Montana and other big time places can do it for free so can NDSU. *Getting free access to Internet audio / video and expanded radio and TV coverage should be a big priority for NDSU. *

imabison
10-05-2006, 03:04 PM

You should send the above paragraph in a e-mail to Simmers, Bohl, Taylor and Chapman. *This is one area where the university sells itself short. *WTF, if the losers to the north can do it we should be able to do it 5 times better. *Another gripe I have is charging for the web access. *What do you think the total annual revenue is for all sports for Bisonzone and All Access? *I doubt it is much over $10,000 combined. *If Montana and other big time places can do it for free so can NDSU. *Getting free access to Internet audio / video and expanded radio and TV coverage should be a big priority for NDSU. *

Just a thought on the free vs chg webcast.

1. Does NDSU own the cameras, and pay the operators? This is probably properly of the Fargodome since NDSU picks up the internal dome feed. NDSU may have to pay the Fargodome a small fee for these rights, and that is why it is not free to the web.

2. If there is a small fee charged to defray the cost, it helps the athletic budget. I guess I live in Fargo so I do not have to pay it unless the SideStreet quits broadcasting the webcasts, but based on the turnout I would not expect that to happen.

bisonaudit
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I have no problem paying a nominal fee to listen to the game on the internet, out of market.

I can get the bison radio feed for $5 a week.

To get the Vikings TV it would cost me $250 for the year, Twins about the same, Wild $150.

$5 I can handle. There's no local advertiser who's going to pay for me to listen to their add, they're not interested in me. All these things come at some cost to the University, I'll happily defray a portion of that cost so that I can hear the game. Just give me a quality broadcast, which they have when I've been able to listen this year.

That said, NDSU has to do better with local TV. Get those road games on the air across ND and Western MN, and we need an expanded radio network for all games.

SDbison
10-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I have no problem paying a nominal fee to listen to the game on the internet, out of market.

To get the Vikings TV it would cost me $250 for the year, Twins about the same, Wild $150.

$5 I can handle. *There's no local advertiser who's going to pay for me to listen to their add, they're not interested in me. *All these things come at some cost to the University, I'll happily defray a portion of that cost so that I can hear the game. *Just give me a quality broadcast, which they have when I've been able to listen this year.

That said, NDSU has to do better with local TV. *Get those road games on the air across ND and Western MN, and we need an expanded radio network for all games.
I disagree with your thoughts on the web coverage. Compared to other things that teammakers, private donations and NDSU pays for, having more exposure to NDSU pays big dividends. More fans, increased enrollment and the best athletes in the area are some things to be gained. Nickel and dimeing fans is no way to increase their numbers. I can't believe someone like Scheels, in exchange for free advertising on the web sites, can't be conviced to pay $20,000 per year (my guess) so that free audio and video can be provided. It should be as easy as one click to watch the Bison. Its not just the money, but the inconveniece of buying what you may only use a few times a year at first. Of course all the die hards will buy, but what about the new fans? Does anyone here have a marketing degree? Just look at what all the TV coverage of UND sports has done for them. If you don't believe it has helped their cause and hurt NDSU you are blind. Time for NDSU to step up and get more regional coverage on TV and provide FREE access to their DI sports.
BTW, I had a dozen people in the Sioux Falls area comment about UND's close win over Augustana, or their surprise win over Northern Iowa. Some people who even know me well said good win for North Dakota (I had to correct them and say I went to North Dakota State). One other comment, not one person I knew had any idea NDSU upset Ball State. Maybe if it had been on regional TV this would be different. In summary, it is all about EXPOSURE. On a weekly basis UND is beating NDSU at this game. :-/ :-[

BisonBacker
10-05-2006, 06:47 PM

Unless I'm mistaken the BSC does not do it for free. They had some games on for free as a promo but for the rest of the season its a pay pre view type deal just like GoBison.

BisonBacker
10-05-2006, 06:49 PM

$5 I can handle. *There's no local advertiser who's going to pay for me to listen to their add, they're not interested in me. *All these things come at some cost to the University, I'll happily defray a portion of that cost so that I can hear the game. *Just give me a quality broadcast, which they have when I've been able to listen this year.

That said, NDSU has to do better with local TV. *Get those road games on the air across ND and Western MN, and we need an expanded radio network for all games.
I disagree with your thoughts on the web coverage. *Compared to other things that teammakers, private donations and NDSU pays for, having more exposure to NDSU pays big dividends. *More fans, increased enrollment and the best athletes in the area are some things to be gained. *Nickel and dimeing fans is no way to increase their numbers. *I can't believe someone like Scheels, in exchange for free advertising on the web sites, can't be conviced to pay $20,000 per year (my guess) so that free audio and video can be provided. *It should be as easy as one click to watch the Bison. *Its not just the money, but the inconveniece of buying what you may only use a few times a year at first. *Of course all the die hards will buy, but what about the new fans? *Does anyone here have a marketing degree? *Just look at what all the TV coverage of UND sports has done for them. *If you don't believe it has helped their cause and hurt NDSU you are blind. *Time for NDSU to step up and get more regional coverage on TV and provide FREE access to their DI sports. *
BTW, I had a dozen people in the Sioux Falls area comment about UND's close win over Augustana, or their surprise win over Northern Iowa. *Some people who even know me well said good win for North Dakota (I had to correct them and say I went to North Dakota State). *One other comment, not one person I knew had any idea NDSU upset Ball State. *Maybe if it had been on regional TV this would be different. *In summary, it is all about EXPOSURE. *On a weekly basis UND is beating NDSU at this game. * :-/ :-[

I agree that the games should be available and that NDSU needs to do a better job marketing themselves accross the state and the region but I don't agree with giving the webcasts away for free. Remember you get what you pay for, nothing worth anything comes for free.

DenverBison05
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree that the games should be available and that NDSU needs to do a better job marketing themselves accross the state and the region but I don't agree with giving the webcasts away for free. *Remember you get what you pay for, nothing worth anything comes for free.

Exactly, I have no problem with paying for the Bison webcast. *I would much rather have a high quality webcast that I must pay for, then a low-cost one for free. *Unfortunately I dont get a chance to watch the Bison in person very often, this year Im only going to make the Minnesota game, so I ahve to rely solely on the webcasts and internet radio to see my Bison play.

SDbison
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Still don't agree. Small investment for better TV / Internet on NDSU's part would bring big returns. How much do you really think All Access or Bisonzone VIP Access makes in a year (5,000?, $10,000?, $20,000?). No reason a sponsor can't be found to fund this annually. The TV coverage thing is a bigger deal, but something that also needs to be addressed. Don't think about the games as a service, but instead as an outstanding advertsing opportunity.

SDbison
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I agree that the games should be available and that NDSU needs to do a better job marketing themselves accross the state and the region but I don't agree with giving the webcasts away for free. *Remember you get what you pay for, nothing worth anything comes for free.

Exactly, I have no problem with paying for the Bison webcast. *I would much rather have a high quality webcast that I must pay for, then a low-cost one for free. *Unfortunately I dont get a chance to watch the Bison in person very often, this year Im only going to make the Minnesota game, so I ahve to rely solely on the webcasts and internet radio to see my Bison play.
So why is high speed Internet access free in most hotel rooms now yet some still charge $7.95 a night for the same Internet access? *Because the hotelier realizes it is a benefit to the guests and helps keep occupancy rates high. *Equating cost to quality does not apply in all cases. *You have to look at the overall results. * *

dudly
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
you act as if anyone outside of ND wants to watch your team!!!?!!
get a grip. no smack. Do something in d-I first, before you want to be nationally televised?!! good lord. to most, you are a glorified d-2 team.

Bison_Dan
10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
get a grip. * no smack. * Do something in d-I first, before you want to be nationally televised?!! *good lord. to most, *you are a glorified d-2 team. *

You'll find out how glorified on Saturday. ;D ;D

Bison13
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Soooooo is there a webcast for the game saturday?

dudly
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
get a grip. * no smack. * Do something in d-I first, before you want to be nationally televised?!! *good lord. to most, *you are a glorified d-2 team. *

You'll find out how glorified on Saturday. * *;D ;Dyeppers, we will. I hope your boyz don't come up with an epidemic of neck strains from gazing in awe at all 6 of our national championship flags.
prepare to be schooled

Bisonguy
10-05-2006, 09:31 PM

So why is high speed Internet access free in most hotel rooms now yet some still charge $7.95 a night for the same Internet access? *Because the hotelier realizes it is a benefit to the guests and helps keep occupancy rates high. *Equating cost to quality does not apply in all cases. *You have to look at the overall results. * *

NDSU could just raise the Team Maker levels, and then say the webcasts are free to all Team Makers. That's what a lot of hotels do whenever they upgrade anything.

Ivy
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
As of today, there is no VIDEO for the GA Southern game. *

NDSU All-Access provides video webcasts for HOME events. *There is not video for away games unless the host school will allow NDSU to provide a link to their feed through All-Access. *There is no obiglation/contract for other schools to do this. *It sure is nice when they do though -- i.e. the Ball State Game.

WDAY would not give up the rights for the radio broadcasts, therefore, NDSU GoBison.com All-Access cannot provide the WDAY radio broadcast on their site. *This was something they were hoping to get in contracts, but did not. *So radio is WDAY's deal. *It's up to them if they want to charge for it or not at this point. *

NDSU's student radio broadcasts are free.

I have no problem with having to pay for video Webcasts and other premium content -- this is a service they provide for those willing to pay for it. *

GoBison.com has lots of free content. *In fact, it's unbelievable the information on their site if you dig around a little. *You can go back all the way to 2001-02 FB season and still see the game recaps and whatnot.

Bisonfan1
10-05-2006, 09:52 PM
As of today, there is no VIDEO for the GA Southern game. *

NDSU All-Access provides video webcasts for HOME events. *There is not video for away games unless the host school will allow NDSU to provide a link to their feed through All-Access. *There is no obiglation/contract for other schools to do this. *It sure is nice when they do though -- i.e. the Ball State Game.

WDAY would not give up the rights for the radio broadcasts, therefore, NDSU GoBison.com All-Access cannot provide the WDAY radio broadcast on their site. *This was something they were hoping to get in contracts, but did not. *So radio is WDAY's deal. *It's up to them if they want to charge for it or not at this point. *

NDSU's student radio broadcasts are free.

I have no problem with having to pay for video Webcasts and other premium content -- this is a service they provide for those willing to pay for it. *

GoBison.com has lots of free content. *In fact, it's unbelievable the information on their site if you dig around a little. *You can go back all the way to 2001-02 FB season and still see the game recaps and whatnot.

Thank You Ivy for the information, I e-mailed Bison staff today and thats the information I got also. I really dont care about free as i would gladly pay a pay per view price to be able to watch ALL the away games. The point is, some option has to be there to those who REALLY want to watch the away games wheather it be 10 - 20 -30 bucks, have a Bison party and split the costs and its cheap. So what if the host school charges to provide a link to their webcasts, somebody pay it, and lets all watch the game. What does the host school consider if they are going to provide a link or not ? $$$ I imagine, so be a sponser, NDSU or private individuals, lets get it done !!!

Ivy
10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I think more of an issue is that not all schools webcast. *For instance, I don't see that GA Southern is offering a live video feed of their game...therefore, they would not provide a videostream for the Bison's site.

mikelsch
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I think more of an issue is that not all schools webcast. *For instance, I don't see that GA Southern is offering a live video feed of their game...therefore, they would not provide a videostream for the Bison's site.

GA Southern (and all other scholarship DI schools) need to start acting like a DI institutions and videocast their home football games.

I guess these schools don't have an interested-enough alumni base

Mr._Bill
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
These webcasts are a revenue stream, and I don't think anyone is doing it for free. *I don't think anyone in their right mind can expect a free-high quality webcast. *If someone would like to prove me wrong for college football, other than a 1 game free special, show me the data. *All about the benjamins.

I am happy to pay my $69 annual for this service. *Heck, the Ball St. game was worth my $69!!!! *The basketball, wresting, soccer, softball and baseball seasons are coming, and I'll consider that a bonus above my fee for football. *Also, you have access to watch it over again (and again) if you wish. *I have to admit that I have replayed the Walker to White TD a few times.

It is frustrating, however, that I can't get all the FB games on webcast . . . such as a great matchup of two top 20 teams this week. *That's not NDSU's fault however. *If GS is not doing a webcast and doesn't have the camera in place, NDSU can't pick it up. *That's just the way it is. It's surprising to me that the (FCS powerhouse) GS fans don't demand that their games are webcast. *

Do they have running water and cars in GA? *I hear it is a real wasteland. ;)

dudly
10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I guess these schools don't have an interested-enough alumni baseLOL
You think NDSU has a bigger following than GSU?!!?!
ARE YOU HIGH?!
COMPARE AVERAGER ATTEDANCE NUMBERS SIMPLETON> ;D ;D ;D
you r pewny

Mr._Bill
10-06-2006, 03:57 AM
I guess these schools don't have an interested-enough alumni baseLOL
You think NDSU has a bigger following than GSU?!!?!
ARE YOU HIGH?!
COMPARE AVERAGER ATTEDANCE NUMBERS SIMPLETON> ;D ;D ;D
you r pewny

Do they have TV yet in Georgia yet Dudly, cameras, internet? *Maybe they all have to go to the game to be able to see it. *Attendance numbers in ND are fine dudly, no problems here. You need to find someone else to pick on for attendance.

semobison
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
This is the one area NDSU is still behind on. The heck with webcasts, (although it would be nice to have one this week.) We need to get all our road games televised state wide. The western part of the state would follow the Bison big time if they were televised biweekely. Instead, a lot of people are listening to scratchy AM radio out in Belfield. Are we D1 or what? That would lead to more fans= higher attendence=sellouts=televise all games weekly. Then we will be Big Thing statewide!!!

bisonaudit
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
RE: free web casts.

Nothing if free. Over the air TV isn't free. The viewer 'pays' for over the air TV by sitting through commercials. The content provider has to get their revenue from somewhere.

The audience for NDSU athletics web casts are mostly alumni who live outside the local market (ND and Western MN). Q: Where is NDSU going to find an advertising partner to pay for the cost of providing these web casts in exchange for exposure to this audience? A: There isn't one. Result, the end user pays for the web cast.

scoop
10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I just got off the phone with SoConSports.com and the game tomorrow is not being web cast. He also check for any TV, and there is none. So another week without any video.