PDA

View Full Version : WDAY 6-3 Bison shows

Bisonator98
08-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Just a heads up that WDAY channel 6-3 is airing some old Bison football highlight shows. Right now its the 1985 season.

Bison bison
08-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Crap. Just started a Pixar movie...

Bison bison
08-26-2014, 01:05 AM
1987 Bison on now.

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Wish I had an antenna. Nobody watches free over the air tv with an antenna anymore except for really old people on fixed incomes or 40 year Olds living in their moms basement.

westnodak93bison
08-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Wish I had an antenna. Nobody watches free over the air tv with an antenna anymore except for really old people on fixed incomes or 40 year Olds living in their moms basement.
Don't forget people in rural areas

3Putt
08-26-2014, 02:19 AM
I have an antenna (and cable) and don't fit either bucket.

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 02:21 AM
Don't forget people in rural areas

Rural areas typically have access to TV just as much as metros. Heck coops provide fiber to people's homes and satellite is available everywhere.

So the same rules apply to them too

Trumpster
08-26-2014, 02:23 AM
Rural areas typically have access to TV just as much as metros. Heck coops provide fiber to people's homes and satellite is available everywhere.

So the same rules apply to them too

Why would I ever pay for TV?

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 02:23 AM
I have an antenna (and cable) and don't fit either bucket.

Yeah but you have cable. I should probably buy an antenna anyways. Sounds like good free content

StL Bison Fan
08-26-2014, 02:24 AM

I have bunny ears to get me tv and the other extra channels direct tv does not consider them local.

Oh, and I'm old

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 02:25 AM

I say that about sex and water... but tv no

Bison bison
08-26-2014, 02:33 AM

It isn't 1983.

El_Chapo
08-26-2014, 02:33 AM
Lemme guess. "Glory days" playing

Everyone should watch TV with antennae in fargo area! :)

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 03:05 AM
Lemme guess. "Glory days" playing

Everyone should watch TV with antennae in fargo area! :)

I would like to watch this stuff. I was in elementary school when it happened but it really blows I have to revert to 1985 to watch it. Seriously by the time I would get an antenna that probably won't work in south fargo, it will be over. Lame. Apparently wday has never heard of this thing called the internet. Heck I'd probably even pay a few bucks to watch it. It's like broadcasting it on espn3 in 1985 or putting it on the air at 3 am before they invented the vcr

Bison bison
08-26-2014, 03:11 AM
cable is so 1983.

chuckles
08-26-2014, 03:44 AM

This! I pay $0 for cable TV. Have a digital antenna and get all the major networks in HD. Along with an AppleTV and one can stream ESPN and on demand video via the apps that come with it. If the app isn't there, I can stream wirelessly from my iPad or computer to the TV. RIP DishNetwork and DirectTV. 25 years from now, cable TV providers will be out of business or so expensive very few people will have it. Everything will be delivered over the interwebs!

onbison09
08-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Put this on the internet on demand or something

KTF
08-26-2014, 04:12 AM
yep no cable here. I get all the twin cities channels via a $40 antenna and a $30 booster (split four ways and cable run is about 80 feet to house)... I will never pay for cable tva again... (though I do miss espn once in a while) but have more than plenty of football to watch via my home built dvr system....

Wish I could get the Fargo stations but just too far away...

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 04:33 AM
This! I pay $0 for cable TV. Have a digital antenna and get all the major networks in HD. Along with an AppleTV and one can stream ESPN and on demand video via the apps that come with it. If the app isn't there, I can stream wirelessly from my iPad or computer to the TV. RIP DishNetwork and DirectTV. 25 years from now, cable TV providers will be out of business or so expensive very few people will have it. Everything will be delivered over the interwebs!

It's all about content. If you want to w real content you have to pay for it. Try watching the Iowa State game without cable or satellite. (Legally)
Try watching. You may see the the delivery of content change but there will always be cable, Satellite, or IP based providers. Why? All the cable channels are owned by the same companies. If you want TNT you have to get other channels. That's why Netflix is doing their own content because they can't get good stuff. I would hope some day we will see a pick your own channel lineup deal but the FCC is in the pockets of the broadcasters. They need each other. Without viewers they won't get the big money from advertisers. Unfortunately they need each other

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 04:34 AM

It's all about content. If you want to w real content you have to pay for it. Try watching the Iowa State game without cable or satellite. (Legally)
You may see the the delivery of content change but there will always be cable, Satellite, or IP based providers. Why? All the cable channels are owned by the same companies. If you want TNT you have to get other channels they own. That's why Netflix is doing their own content because they can't get good stuff. I would hope some day we will see a pick your own channel lineup deal but the FCC is in the pockets of the broadcasters. They need each other. Without viewers they won't get the big money from advertisers. Unfortunately they need each other. You'll someday pay 50 different subscriptions that end up costing as much as your paying now. I think we'll see a drop in shitty channels someday and smaller channels won't be on the lineups

Bisonguy
08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Chea, OTA HD is so much better than the compressed version the satellites show or the super compressed crap that the cable providers have.

THEsocalledfan
08-26-2014, 12:19 PM

Free over the air TV is becoming very popular again as many are doing that with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc to save cost. I have ZERO idea where you get this idea from.

A1pigskin
08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I have bunny ears to get me tv and the other extra channels direct tv does not consider them local.

Oh, and I'm old

Bunny ears work. You just have to move them around about a thousand times to find the right signal.

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Free over the air TV is becoming very popular again as many are doing that with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc to save cost. I have ZERO idea where you get this idea from.

I don't buy the whole demise of cable/satellite people are talking about. The same numbers say there is a decline in internet service numbers which I don't buy. It may have peaked and some of the hated cable companies are losing customers but the big players like DirecTV, Dish, Verizon, and ATT are still getting positive net adds for pay tv service. But the reality is if everything is going to go IP based, the cable companies still basically own the internet and they will figure out a way to make money. What's declining is the actual number of TV's. More people watch on their tablets and cell phones now. You can see that the cable companies are simply adapting and providing service that way. At the end of the day, the big cable giants will own everything and nothing will change. If TV services like Netflix get too powerful, the big dogs will just buy them.

Bisonator98
08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
We have Dish and like it but we also have one of those small indoor antenna's that work surprisingly well actually. I don't usually watch much on there but was checking it out last night in anticipation of the special preseason show they are going to have on there Thursday night. Caught the last 15 minutes of the 1984 season and then ended up watching the 1985 thru 1988 seasons. Best part is no commercials, worst part is standard def and Ed Schultz, haha. Wonder if they are gonna have them on again tonight. Brought back some great memories watching Benny and the boys!

A1pigskin
08-26-2014, 03:21 PM
We have Dish and like it but we also have one of those small indoor antenna's that work surprisingly well actually. I don't usually watch much on there but was checking it out last night in anticipation of the special preseason show they are going to have on there Thursday night. Caught the last 15 minutes of the 1984 season and then ended up watching the 1985 thru 1988 seasons. Best part is no commercials, worst part is standard def and Ed Schultz, haha. Wonder if they are gonna have them on again tonight. Brought back some great memories watching Benny and the boys!

Those were some fun years.

KTF
08-26-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't buy the whole demise of cable/satellite people are talking about. The same numbers say there is a decline in internet service numbers which I don't buy. It may have peaked and some of the hated cable companies are losing customers but the big players like DirecTV, Dish, Verizon, and ATT are still getting positive net adds for pay tv service. But the reality is if everything is going to go IP based, the cable companies still basically own the internet and they will figure out a way to make money. What's declining is the actual number of TV's. More people watch on their tablets and cell phones now. You can see that the cable companies are simply adapting and providing service that way. At the end of the day, the big cable giants will own everything and nothing will change. If TV services like Netflix get too powerful, the big dogs will just buy them.

I would agree somewhat. Perfect scenario is my current provider (Charter) will not allow me access to the ESPN network (Besides ESPN3) without a tv subscription. I believe that most are headed this way, if not their already.

The concern going forward is going to be the infrastructures ability to handle the data requirements for the HD services as well as the 4k movement in the tv industry. Whether it is tv service or "internet" based you are still using the same "lines" for service to the customers.

HerdBot
08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I would agree somewhat. Perfect scenario is my current provider (Charter) will not allow me access to the ESPN network (Besides ESPN3) without a tv subscription. I believe that most are headed this way, if not their already.

The concern going forward is going to be the infrastructures ability to handle the data requirements for the HD services as well as the 4k movement in the tv industry. Whether it is tv service or "internet" based you are still using the same "lines" for service to the customers.

Good point. If the cable companies own the internet, when IPTV providers take their cable customers they will simply put caps on the internet as a strategic move. Sad reality. Verizon is already killing us with data overages for wireless devices. I paid $80 in data overage last month which is more than my DirecTV bill

KTF
08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Good point. If the cable companies own the internet, when IPTV providers take their cable customers they will simply put caps on the internet as a strategic move. Sad reality. Verizon is already killing us with data overages for wireless devices. I paid $80 in data overage last month which is more than my DirecTV bill

The caps are already in place. I have 30mb service via charter and have a 250gb limit per month. From what I have found the speed of service determines the caps such as a 3mb DSL has a cap of 100 GB per month. A 100MB service through charter has a 1000gb cap. Some providers don't have caps but they are few and far between.

Just a recommendation on Verizon, if you know you are going over that month, sign onto yoru account on verizonwireless.com and change your plan as they allow you to change on a monthly basis... Also setup the automatic texts that tell you when you are at 75% and higher on your data usage.

Bisonguy
08-26-2014, 05:27 PM

The 4k movement will be fought tooth and nail by the providers, and unless it becomes mandated by the FCC will be a technological niche like laserdisc was back in the day or 3d tv. Cripes, currently the providers, other than OTA, can barely pull off a somewhat acceptable HDTV signal. People have grown to accept the compressed crap provided to them much like they have accepted the horrible call quality of mobile devices over the years.

SafeTeeJ
08-26-2014, 05:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3kxAA2L4Q
The caps are already in place. I have 30mb service via charter and have a 250gb limit per month. From what I have found the speed of service determines the caps such as a 3mb DSL has a cap of 100 GB per month. A 100MB service through charter has a 1000gb cap. Some providers don't have caps but they are few and far between.

Just a recommendation on Verizon, if you know you are going over that month, sign onto yoru account on verizonwireless.com and change your plan as they allow you to change on a monthly basis... Also setup the automatic texts that tell you when you are at 75% and higher on your data usage.

HerdBot
08-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Here ya go... Comcast says "they are looking out for poor people." :rofl:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/comcast-allegedly-trying-to-block-centurylink-from-entering-its-territory/

KTF
08-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Here ya go... Comcast says "they are looking out for poor people." :rofl:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/comcast-allegedly-trying-to-block-centurylink-from-entering-its-territory/

Thanks for the article!