PDA

View Full Version : Hallstrom Eat Crow

SDbison
10-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Nice pick there Hallstrom........Bison to lose by 3? Kind of a bit off.........instead Bison win by 3 TD's! Are you a believer now Hallstrom? Time to give you a post over on the blog. ;D

NDSUstudent
10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Nice pick there Hallstrom........Bison to lose by 3? Kind of a bit off.........instead Bison win by 3 TD's! Are you a believer now Hallstrom? Time to give you a post over on the blog. ;D

Both McFooly and Kolpack took GSU as well, and don't forget they all said NDSU would finish 6-5 for the year.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Nice pick there Hallstrom........Bison to lose by 3? *Kind of a bit off.........instead Bison win by 3 TD's! *Are you a believer now Hallstrom? *Time to give you a post over on the blog. * ;D *

Both McFooly and Kolpack took GSU as well, and don't forget they all said NDSU would finish 6-5 for the year.

I think a bunch of us need to post over on their blogs. Its one thing to be a homer.......its another to be down on your hometown team when they are doing well and are ranked higher than a GSU team that was struggling.

No_Skill
10-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Nice pick there Hallstrom........Bison to lose by 3? *Kind of a bit off.........instead Bison win by 3 TD's! *Are you a believer now Hallstrom? *Time to give you a post over on the blog. * ;D *

I think a bunch of us need to post over on their blogs. *Its one thing to be a homer.......its another to be down on your hometown team when they are doing well and are ranked higher than a GSU team that was struggling.

Give us that link!!!

kchats
10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

NDSUstudent
10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Both Hallstrom and Kolpack do a great job covering NDSU athletics so don't lay it on too thick but they could use a minor wake-up call. You can let McFeely have it for all I care, he doubts NDSU consistantly.

Bison101
10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't get it. He picked GSU by 3. Probably a pretty good pick. Its easy to chastise him now but admit it, you were nervous before the game, I was. I am pumped we won, but do you want the guy to call em as he see's em or always pick the Bison to win no matter what?

I am in AK, but what a huge win baby, sell out the dome next weekend!

Tatanka
10-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't get it. He picked GSU by 3. Probably a pretty good pick. Its easy to chastise him now but admit it, you were nervous before the game, I was. I am pumped we won, but do you want the guy to call em as he see's em or always pick the Bison to win no matter what?

++

We don't need any dan hammer pats weeney homers.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 08:11 PM

I am in AK, but what a huge win baby, sell out the dome next weekend!
Do these local reporters think they are in the national spotlight. No, I don't think so. I think if you really believe it will only be a victory by 3 by the other team you can call it a toss up or live on the edge and predict a bison win by 3. Nothing wrong with siding with your side in a close one.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 08:14 PM

++

We don't need any dan hammer pats weeney homers.

Nice point again Tatanka. ::) Are one of the reporters your brother or something. These guys are not above criticism. Picking your team in a close one would not be a homer (i.e. if Hallstrom had picked NDSU by 3 and GSU would have won by 3)

Tatanka
10-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Actually if you're interested, my point was I'd rather have reporters that call it as they see it, period. Obviously I disagree with them but at least they put their names and reasons by their picks. An inbox full of I-told-you-sos and why-dont-you-always-pick-the-bison isn't deserved in my opinion. Just as obviously, you disagree with me. So be it. Let's move on.

cabis
10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually if you're interested, my point was I'd rather have reporters that call it as they see it, period. *Obviously I disagree with them but at least they put their names and reasons by their picks. *An inbox full of I-told-you-sos and why-dont-you-always-pick-the-bison isn't deserved in my opinion. *Just as obviously, you disagree with me. *So be it. *Let's move on.
Agreed 100%. These guys do a great job covering the Bison. You may not like all their opinions but at least they have some and are putting them out there. If you want to hack on the media there are are a lot of them out there that don't cover the Bison at all or marginally. Lets get after them!

02Bison
10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Who cares what the heck the media says. What is really important is how the Bison play on the field. What Hallstrom, Kolpack, or McFeeley say has nothing to do with the actual outcome of the game. Let them call it as they see it, and if the Bison prove them wrong all the better! The last thing I want is Bison Media coverage being as homer like as the Sioux media coverage...Dan Hammer and Pat Sweeney make me want to gag when I hear what they say.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Gee, I am sure McFooly, Kolpack and Hallstrom will lose sleep if a half dozen fans let them know that it is OK to pick the Bison. For all you lovers out there I never said these reporters can't tell it like it is, but in a close one they can at least pick their hometown team. If we were using their predictions to gamble in Vegas maybe a different story. Don't worry I will make up for all you quiet folks when I let these boys know their predictions sucked.

02Bison
10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Their predictions don't mean didly squat. Let them pick who they want. If they see it as a GSU close win, let them predict that and let the Bison prove them wrong. You are advocating homerism in the media SDBison and that is just plain wrong.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Their predictions don't mean didly squat. Let them pick who they want. If they see it as a GSU close win, let them predict that and let the Bison prove them wrong. *You are advocating homerism in the media SDBison and that is just plain wrong. *
I am so wrong to criticise them oh high and mighty 02bison. I know in your world of total verbal and thought control my opinion wouldn't be known, but here it is. Go to their blog site and click on comments at the bottom if you must prop up these guys after my damaging blows as follows:

So, Hallstrom and Kolpack, do you believe in the Bison yet? Maybe you guys should keep on picking the other team because you got that wrong all the time. Don't see how you can pick GSU when the Bison were rated higher, GSU was still struggling and this Bison TEAM has something going for them. Even picking the other team by 3 points? Whats the big deal if you picked NDSU by 3 and they ended up losing by 3, so what? I don't expect you guys to become homers, but show a little respect for your hometown team. Give them the benefit of the doubt now and then.

P.S. This doesn't mean I expect you to say the Bison will play the Gophers close, but maybe you can recognize it is possible this Bison team could actually put up a good challenge.

Posted by: SDbison on 10/07/2006 3:56 PM

Bisonguy
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Chris Kelly from the GWFC website and Matt Dougherty from The Sports Network also picked GSU by 3.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Chris Kelly from the GWFC website and Matt Dougherty from The Sports Network also picked GSU by 3.
Sounds like they got it totally wrong too........probably read and copied Kolpacks and Hallstroms great prediction.
NOTE: Big difference if Dogherty and SportsNetwork chose to pick GSU in a close one, they represent the GWFC and Football overall. They also don't live in Fargo.
Obviously four or five of the posters on here don't agree with me.......post all your love for the Fargo reporters you want and it won't change my mind. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GIVING YOUR HOME TEAM THE PICK IN A CLOSE ONE. This would not make them a homer. They can still post all the positives and negatives they want. Case closed. Go back to your love in.

NdFaN
10-07-2006, 09:16 PM
SDbison I would love for you too predict every game the rest of the season so we can see where you stand with the medias predictions. I especially wanna know how you predict the Minnesota game, could you predict the rest of the season cause I'm sure you predicted SU to win by 3 touchdowns today.

SDbison
10-07-2006, 09:51 PM
SDbison I would love for you too predict every game the rest of the season so we can see where you stand with the medias predictions. *I especially wanna know how you predict the Minnesota game, could you predict the rest of the season cause I'm sure you predicted SU to win by 3 touchdowns today.
Didn't know it was a requirement to pick games. At the same time when you do pick'em you have to take your lumps when you are wrong and pat yoursef on the back when you are right. To tell you the truth I am not a big gambler, I pull for my team and would pick them EVERY time because I am a true fan of the team, not a Vegas gambler or a fantasy player individualist. For the Minnesota game I know it is a lot more likely that the Bison will lose than win. So if you need a prediction I will say the Bison by 3 over Gophers because I am a homer. Guess I invest my money on my team and my university not by gambling, but by donating and geting involved. I will take the loses with the wins and always believe NDSU can win.
So NDfan are you a teammaker, do you give to the annual fund, the university fund and the college of engineering every year like I do? Are you a graduate of NDSU, do you volunteer for Alumni events, did you set up a satellite site for football games for 10 years? Do you have a daughter attending NDSU, do you make it to all home games each year driving 500 mile round trips? I can answer yes to all, doubt you can.
BTW, if I had posted my thoughts on the game today I would have predicted a nervous Bison win by 7. At least I didn't pick them to lose.

semobison
10-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Why in the hell would anybody criticize someone in the media over football picks. It has NO effect on anything.Enjoy the win!!

SDbison
10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Why in the hell would anybody criticize someone in the media over football picks. It has NO effect on anything.Enjoy the win!!
Because I can. And I am enjoying the win. ;)

bisonmike
10-08-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm not goiing to blame them. I saw it as a close game too. And GSU doesn't lose at home, down year or not. Well, except today ;D

broke_back_mnt
10-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Hey, they picked it the way most people did. *Thats why it was an upset. *They had it wrong, and I explained why on his blog comments, but there was good cause to call GSU by 3. *If you see it even 3 pts is the homefield. *Everybody gives 3 for homefield. *Heck, I gave 6!! *I still had it right, BISON win, but it was an upset.

kchats
10-08-2006, 03:43 AM
I disagree with your premise that NDSU was an underdog today. Yes many people picked NDSU to lose today but it wasn't because NDSU wasn't the better team it was because they thought three tough games in a row on the road would be tough to win them all. NDSU should have been favored in the game and probably was. As I stated when I made my pick Friday night NDSU had a better QB and a better defense and therefore I thought NDSU would win by 14. The defense messed my pick up by scoring a touchdown but hey you can't get them all right. I can't see how the #11 team in division I-AA (4-0) would be an underdog at the #21 team in division I-AA (2-2). No way was GSU the better team in this matchup. That is precisely why NDSU won the game. NDSU was the better team with a better performance and better conditioning. NDSU's coaches also made adjustments during the game better than GSU's coaches and Steve Walker also showed he was the better QB as well. It would have been an upset if GSU had won today.

99Bison
10-08-2006, 03:55 AM
I disagree with your premise that NDSU was an underdog today. Yes many people picked NDSU to lose today but it wasn't because NDSU wasn't the better team it was because they thought three tough games in a row on the road would be tough to win them all. NDSU should have been favored in the game and probably was. As I stated when I made my pick Friday night NDSU had a better QB and a better defense and therefore I thought NDSU would win by 14. The defense messed my pick up by scoring a touchdown but hey you can't get them all right. I can't see how the #11 team in division I-AA (4-0) would be an underdog at the #21 team in division I-AA (2-2). No way was GSU the better team in this matchup. That is precisely why NDSU won the game. NDSU was the better team with a better performance and better conditioning. NDSU's coaches also made adjustments during the game better than GSU's coaches and Steve Walker also showed he was the better QB as well. It would have been an upset if GSU had won today.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this goes right along with SDBison in that how can hometowners, being homers or not, not give the bison the benefit of doubt in any games.

kchats, you are right on here.

broke_back_mnt
10-08-2006, 04:04 AM
I called the game right and saw the outcome too. *In fact I said that if it wasnt being played there it would be BISON all the way. *I thought it was an upset based on the intangables all ready mentioned. *

It was the game of the week, and not too many people were picking The BISON outside of Fargo. *They were a dominate offensive power house in DI-AA football before today. *They fully expected the flatten our Defensive tire. *But, it didnt turn out that way. *Our defense is Bona fide and so is the offense. *There may be only 1 upset opportunity left on our schedule and thats in Minneapolis.

kchats
10-08-2006, 04:15 AM
That is why as a Bison fan you should have known and understood the Bison were the better team today. Justin Fricke is being looked at by NFL teams and he isn't disappointing them. Micheal Fairborn is also playing great as a redshirt freshman. When a team has been stopping the run all season as well as NDSU has you figure the defense wins the matchup. Bison are better than GSU at this point in time and their coach basically admitted as much in his postgame interview. When a GSU head coach says he is trying to build his team like a transitioning team from NDSU you know Coach Bohl is building a great program.

My only fear is the Bison beat the Gophers and Minnesota fires Glenn Mason and hires Coach Bohl.

broke_back_mnt
10-08-2006, 04:36 AM
I understood all right, but its still an upset in my mind. I liked their coach. Their players showed class too at least in the video clips posted by Tatanka. I liked the reason he gave for dropping the option. In the pre game he said it was just too hard to get the defense ready for non option teams when they went to practice every week against an option.

It was a big win. Not the biggest, as BisonGuy has already said, but big. A head turner in our new division. Not the earth shattering news of the Montana win or even BSU, but big.

Bison13
10-08-2006, 04:45 AM
Amen

BisonBacker
10-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Hey, they picked it the way most people did. *Thats why it was an upset. *They had it wrong, and I explained why on his blog comments, but there was good cause to call GSU by 3. *If you see it even 3 pts is the homefield. *Everybody gives 3 for homefield. *Heck, I gave 6!! *I still had it right, BISON win, but it was an upset.

How the heck was this an upset? We were ranked 11 (higher in some polls) and they were something like 23 or so. I don't see this as an upset at all, I predicted a Bison win by a touchdown. This was not an upset, had they won it would have been.

kchats
10-08-2006, 04:47 AM
I agree completely. It is only an upset when the lower ranked team wins the game. The Bison were favored or should have been if they weren't that is a travesty.

02Bison
10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Their predictions don't mean didly squat. Let them pick who they want. If they see it as a GSU close win, let them predict that and let the Bison prove them wrong. *You are advocating homerism in the media SDBison and that is just plain wrong. *
I am so wrong to criticise them oh high and mighty 02bison. *I know in your world of total verbal and thought control my opinion wouldn't be known, but here it is. *Go to their blog site and click on comments at the bottom if you must prop up these guys after my damaging blows as follows:

So, Hallstrom and Kolpack, do you believe in the Bison yet? Maybe you guys should keep on picking the other team because you got that wrong all the time. Don't see how you can pick GSU when the Bison were rated higher, GSU was still struggling and this Bison TEAM has something going for them. Even picking the other team by 3 points? Whats the big deal if you picked NDSU by 3 and they ended up losing by 3, so what? I don't expect you guys to become homers, but show a little respect for your hometown team. Give them the benefit of the doubt now and then.

P.S. This doesn't mean I expect you to say the Bison will play the Gophers close, but maybe you can recognize it is possible this Bison team could actually put up a good challenge.

Posted by: SDbison on 10/07/2006 3:56 PM

I think you need to look in your mirror to see who's acting high and mighty...anyways, I progress. *News media is supposed to be objective...unfortunately there is way too much network media that isn't. *I believe WDAY's media does a great job supporting NDSU and giving the FM area Decent coverage while not looking like complete NDSU homers. *The last thing I want is for them to lose all objectivity. *They respect NDSU and with each victory like this, NDSU will earn even more respect. *GSU sets the bar in 1-AA. *The Bison are newbies to 1-AA. *GSU does well at home. *The lone fact they were prediciting a close game was showing respect to NDSU. *And, in the end, their predictions don't matter. Its what the Bison do on the field that does.

GO BISON! * *

semobison
10-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Agreed. Keep doin what their doin on the field and the Respect will take care of itself!!

SDbison
10-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Some of you are bigger homers by defending a little criticism of the reporters who cover the Bison. All I was saying is the Bison deserve a little boost from the local reporters especially in close games. As I said before they should always objectively analyze the strengths and weaknesses but in a close game they can at least call a toss up. Picking the opposing team by 3 points is more of a move to say I am so good at picking an outcome than covering the game. If an opposing team is 7 points or better than go ahead and state such. I am not asking the reporters to make up or bolster the facts. Semo, I think this Bison team earned respect after beating Ball State. In some ways with all the young guys playing and the loss of Washington, Cabell and Buckwalter they probably deserved respect sooner. 02Bison, all I am doing is expressing my opinion and I am not doing it in a high and mighty fashion. I just don't like your attitude that people must live in your narrowly defined world of rules. Several people on this message board go into freak out mode if something is questioned. Go ahead and debate with me and back up your reasoning with facts. BTW, homerism isn't picking your team in a close game. Think about it.
I am growing tired of the pile on attitude over minor stuff here. Guess it is time to quit visiting or posting here.

SDbison
10-08-2006, 03:18 PM
One last post morons.............did you notice Hallstrom did include a line right out of my message to him in his latest blog......."this team has earned a benefit of a doubt". At least he can take criticism and respond intelligently. See ya..........

kchats
10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I agree with SDBison on this one. I haven't seen the Bison play live in person but I have watched the TV broadcast and the available webcasts and have listened to every game and read all the articles about this team. The reporters that broadcast and cover the Bison should have a better idea how good the Bison are than I do. It was pretty obvious to me that the Bison would be at least 2 touchdowns better than this year's Georgia Southern team. They are transitioning from an option offense to a passing offense. They are learning new systems following the firing of a successful coach that makes it harder to sell your systems. Think about it how easy would it be to tell the players we know you were in the playoffs last season but now we want to do everything completely different. The other obvious things the Bison had going for them were Steve Walker (I believe a Walter Payton Award candidate), the big win at Ball State, the big win at Montana, and the success on the road this year. QB's have to make plays in big games to win them and Steve Walker has made plays to win games since he stepped on the field at NDSU. I think all SDBison is trying to say is the reporters should have known enough by their inside information and close workings with the program to pick the Bison to win the game. He is saying that it is tough to believe they know what they are covering if they can't see what we have seen this season. Look at WyomingBison's comments after seeing the Bison play live yesterday. He now thinks they might be the Gophers. That is what SDBison is saying he isn't asking them to be homers he is saying they should base their pick on the here and now and what is happening not 25 years of tradition for GSU while ignoring the 40+ years of tradition NDSU has. When you pick games I believe you are supposed to pick the better team and that team was and is NDSU.

02Bison
10-08-2006, 03:27 PM
*At least he can take criticism and respond intelligently...........

Yep, and you could learn a thing or two from him. I say that with no malicious intentions SDBison.

TransAmBison
10-08-2006, 03:40 PM

Yep, and you could learn a thing or two from him. *I say that with no malicious intentions SDBison. *
Get a clue budy...your last sentence does not change the first sentence. You aren't any better than anyone else. You are just as childish.

broke_back_mnt
10-08-2006, 03:53 PM
My record on BISON prognostication, over the long run, is very similar to their won loss record. But its just rediculous to insist that everyone predict a BISON win. Calling it an upset going in is one thing but clearly after it was over you could see it wasnt an upset. It was a little tougher to say at the half though. Looked pretty even then.

A win next week wont be an upset either, but if your ignoring the pre game hype and the uncertanty going into the game, your forgeting the drama of football.

semobison
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
SDbison, The media has never made a tackle, recovered a fumble, or scored a touchdown. A lot of the media never played high school intramurals. I usually take their opinions with a grain of salt. I certainly am not defending any of them. I usually dont give a rats arse what they say or write. You sir , are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that . It doesnt mean I have to agree with it. What I really care about is what happens between the lines. We are 5-0 and its great to be a Bison!! :) :)

02Bison
10-08-2006, 06:57 PM

Yep, and you could learn a thing or two from him. *I say that with no malicious intentions SDBison. *
Get a clue budy...your last sentence does not change the first sentence. *You aren't any better than anyone else. *You are just as childish.

I didn't know saying the media's duty is to be objective qualified as childish. Some of you here could learn a thing or two about the critical thinking process. Pyschology departments in most universities offer courses on this. I suggest some of you consider taking them. I have not said one thing is this thread that merits the kind of personal attacks I have received from SDBison and now you.

Go Bison and thank you WDAY for all your coverage of the Bison.

TransAmBison
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Get a clue budy...your last sentence does not change the first sentence. *You aren't any better than anyone else. *You are just as childish.

I didn't know saying the media's duty is to be objective qualified as childish. Some of you here could learn a thing or two about the critical thinking process. *Pyschology departments in most universities offer courses on this. I suggest some of you consider taking them. *I have not said one thing is this thread that merits the kind of personal attacks I have received from SDBison and now you. *

Go Bison and thank you WDAY for all your coverage of the Bison. *

It had nothing to do with what you said about the media...it is you said SDbison had a thing or two to learn from the media, and then that it wasn't a personal attack. Saying he had something to learn from them insinuates that he has acted poorly. You act all aloof when you attack, and then play the innocent little lamb afterwards, saying I attacked you about what you say about the media? Either you are "simple", in which case I apologize, or you are trying to be clever. I'm just saying get off your soapbox if you are going to criticize others for attacking people, you do it too.

TransAmBison
10-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Back to the subject, though. I don't blame Hallstrom for picking against the Bison. We were on the third game on the road against quite a tradition. This was only the 19th time they have lost at home. And Steve only picked us to lose by 3...I think that was giving the Bison credit. Everybody can pick who they want to win as far as I'm concerned. It makes it all the better when they are proven wrong.

Can I get a " Hail the Bison, hail the Bison" from the congregation???!!!!

BisonBacker
10-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Hail the Bison Hail the Bison. ;)

bison_once
10-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Who cares who Halstrom, Kolpak or anyone else in the media thinks or picks as a favorite for a game. The BOTTOM LINE is we are winning. If we would believe everything we read, we would be in trouble. Predictions don't mean squat.

Bisonfan1
10-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Hail the Bison from Me !! *Its been 15 -20 years, but remember back when it was a shocker when the Bison lost ? No matter what the score, your nuts were not in a bunch and you knew the Bison would pull it out. Maybe its just me but I am really starting to get that same feeling again with this team. These guys are REAL GOOD. I really dont care what anyones pick's are, I am expecting the Bison to win every game, and why not, this team is capable of that this year, and you can thank the coaching staff for that, they have their team believing they can compete with anyone, and have this Bison fan pumped up right now. Why would anyone pick against the Bison right now the way they are playing ? * GO BISON !!!!

semobison
10-09-2006, 02:11 AM
+++++++ We have some fans who just dont get that!!

TransAmBison
10-09-2006, 02:43 AM
...with our tails up in the air...