PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Kill : Eastern Illinois similar to NDSU? Haha

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 01:57 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/271941241.html

#1. NDSU is head and shoulders above EIU. 3time champ vs 1st round loser to sdsu, ha

#2. Notice the startribune REFUSES to post the score of the NDSU game, but put the other 2 winning scores up there. Just hilarious. The butthurt!

#3. C'mon country jer, play NDSU in 2018

SDSUAlum08
08-21-2014, 02:09 AM

#1. NDSU is head and shoulders above EIU. 3time champ vs 1st round loser to sdsu, ha

#2. Notice the startribune REFUSES to post the score of the NDSU game, but put the other 2 winning scores up there. Just hilarious. The butthurt!

I saw this and laughed too. However, he's just doing coach talk to keep his team motivated.

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Omg! A bunny agrees with me!

unbison
08-21-2014, 02:24 AM
They didn't post a score from 2011 and 2007 OMG how awful of them

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 02:32 AM
YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Who gives a rip about the Gophers and what their fans, coaches, media think/say about us. They are old news. We proved we can beat them and, more than likely, will never play them again. Time to move on and play more relevant programs.

unbison
08-21-2014, 02:34 AM
YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Who gives a rip about the Gophers and what their fans, coaches, media think/say about us. They are old news. We proved we can beat them and, more than likely, will never play them again. Time to move on and play more relevant programs.

Relevant to? As a neighboring state are they not always relevant?

westnodak93bison
08-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Goophs suck. That is all.

DjKyRo
08-21-2014, 02:42 AM
It's awesome that Bisonville still gets treated like Lakes's twitter account.

Scooter1
08-21-2014, 02:45 AM
I thought it was well written. NDSU isn't even playing in this contest yet mentioned numerous times. So what if kill tries to hold E Illinois to the level of NDSU. He is just referencing a team that U of M fans know is a team not to be overlooked. NDSU is held up as the gold standard for FCS and with this comparison it is probable that Jerry is doing his best to put butts in the seats. E Illinois is a decent team and NDSU got some more free positive press in Minneapolis right at the time high school kids are gearing up for football. Bison win without even taking a snap on this one.

Tatanka
08-21-2014, 02:58 AM
I can name at least two other schools that would give their left nut to be used by the u of m coach as an example of a team not to be taken lightly.
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.

tjbison
08-21-2014, 03:00 AM
guys I'm a die hard NDSU fan and booster but Kill and the gophers are still a step,above us, why does it matter what they and their fans think? win or lose we are who we are and they are who they are but still a fun game and I'll tell you it's been more fun being the underdog

sure I'll get red dots for this but so what

Herd
08-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Last year ndsu had a Sagarin of 17 compared to MN at about 50, and its still completely unthinkable for gopher fan to give ndsu any respect, even though they know they'd have zero shot vs a Kstate caliber team.

This year the gophers will be improved and i say they handle EIU by 2-3 tds. And they'll use this win to again say, see we are better than NDSU.

tjbison
08-21-2014, 03:14 AM
Last year ndsu had a Sagarin of 17 compared to MN at about 50, and its still completely unthinkable for gopher fan to give ndsu any respect, even though they know they'd have zero shot vs a Kstate caliber team.

This year the gophers will be improved and i say they handle EIU by 2-3 tds. And they'll use this win to again say, see we are better than NDSU.

and so what, we have the record to say otherwise....hell so does usd a team that has year to put up more than 16 points on us since 2004

Bison bison
08-21-2014, 03:18 AM
I can name at least two other schools that would give their left nut to be used by the u of m coach as an example of a team not to be taken lightly.

Oo! Oo!

Pick me. Pick ME! I know this one!!!

ZHerd

The more northern of those two schools doesn't have any

EC8CH
Honestly except for having some success at the FCS level, EIU is about as dissimilar to Bison football as it gets.

perthbison
08-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.I know of one school that would give both nuts. Except they couldn't because they don't have them to give

BadlandsBison
08-21-2014, 03:28 AM

I for one welcome our new overlord who can SELL and MARKET

SamsRams
08-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Retweeted the authors tweet on this yesterday and he got a little emotional with the ndsu responses to it. I totally agree with Tatanka in that its awesome they still bring up NDSU and use the Bison as a measuring stick. But its also a slight when you put that measuring stick in play. This years EIU is pooptrash compared to NDSU the last 4 years. You think Goopher fans would appreciate comparing their school with Iowa State? And they are a lot closer than NDSU and EIU

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Honestly except for having some success at the FCS level, EIU is about as dissimilar to Bison football as it gets.

No one wants to tackle that they left out the 37-24 score??

westnodak93bison
08-21-2014, 04:07 AM
No one wants to tackle that they left out the 37-24 score??
Just an honest oversight ....cough cough purple

Tatanka
08-21-2014, 04:09 AM
Retweeted the authors tweet on this yesterday and he got a little emotional with the ndsu responses to it. I totally agree with Tatanka in that its awesome they still bring up NDSU and use the Bison as a measuring stick. But its also a slight when you put that measuring stick in play. This years EIU is pooptrash compared to NDSU the last 4 years. You think Goopher fans would appreciate comparing their school with Iowa State? And they are a lot closer than NDSU and EIU

Pooptrash? LOL

1998braves64
08-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Pooptrash? LOL

He is in media right wouldn't want to get slapped with a fine for cursing! :)

DjKyRo
08-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Pooptrash? LOL

I move for instant inclusion into the Bisonville Dictionary, squeezed into some kind of Moh's Scale of Hardness of things that are bad:

Ranked from bad to worst:

1.) Stubbing your toe
2.) Papercut
3.) Blown tire
4.) Catch the flu
5.) Blown transmission
6.) House burns down
7.) Death of a family member
8.) Public shooting
9.) Pooptrash
10.) the Holocaust

...open to interpretation, of course.

BisoninNWMN
08-21-2014, 11:01 AM
I thought it was well written. NDSU isn't even playing in this contest yet mentioned numerous times. So what if kill tries to hold E Illinois to the level of NDSU. He is just referencing a team that U of M fans know is a team not to be overlooked. NDSU is held up as the gold standard for FCS and with this comparison it is probable that Jerry is doing his best to put butts in the seats. E Illinois is a decent team and NDSU got some more free positive press in Minneapolis right at the time high school kids are gearing up for football. Bison win without even taking a snap on this one.

This here.

Gophers cannot overlook any team although this year's EIU team will be mediocre at best.

NDSU got some press down in the cities, good thing IMO.

ZHerd
08-21-2014, 11:42 AM
I move for instant inclusion into the Bisonville Dictionary, squeezed into some kind of Moh's Scale of Hardness of things that are bad:

Ranked from bad to worst:

1.) Stubbing your toe
2.) Papercut
3.) Blown tire
4.) Catch the flu
5.) Blown transmission
6.) House burns down
7.) Death of a family member
8.) Public shooting
9.) Pooptrash
10.) the Holocaust

...open to interpretation, of course.

Stubbed toes is much worse than paper cut

scottietohottie
08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
11). Being a un_ fan

PlainsBison
08-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Seriously, when you think of football in ND, MN and SD, who do you think of?

NDSU.

It's hard to get excited about Gophers football.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Relevant to? As a neighboring state are they not always relevant?

Relevant on a National scale. Playing the Gophers doesn't excite me any more. Been there done that. Playing the Gophers is equal to playing Indiana, Northwestern, and Iowa State. Bottom feeder programs with very little "curb appeal."

I guess if playing the Gophers is a big deal to you, then fine. Just doesn't appeal to me any more.

ZHerd
08-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Relevant on a National scale. Playing the Gophers doesn't excite me any more. Been there done that. Playing the Gophers is equal to playing Indiana, Northwestern, and Iowa State. Bottom feeder programs with very little "curb appeal."

I guess if playing the Gophers is a big deal to you, then fine. Just doesn't appeal to me any more.

Until we've actually beaten Iowa State I'm going to disagree with you

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Until we've actually beaten Iowa State I'm going to disagree with you

I guess I would have to agree with you and honestly, I wouldn't mind playing Northwestern or Indiana because we haven't played them yet. Just sick of the Gopher boner some people on this board have. The Gophers are old news, we've beat them and, and long as Country Jer is head coach, will never play them again. That's all.

BisonTeacher
08-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I guess I would have to agree with you and honestly, I wouldn't mind playing Northwestern or Indiana because we haven't played them yet. Just sick of the Gopher boner some people on this board have. The Gophers are old news, we've beat them and, and long as Country Jer is head coach, will never play them again. That's all.

Didnt the big ten say they werent going to schedule fcs teams ever again? Or was that just strongly suggested?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Didnt the big ten say they werent going to schedule fcs teams ever again? Or was that just strongly suggested?

My guess is most, if not all, teams will follow said suggestion.

kingbison
08-21-2014, 01:13 PM

^^^^Great point!

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Jerry Kill said in news conference thank god we don't have ndsu on the schedule anymore.

Pitino refuses to schedule us too especially after the big dance win

missingnumber7
08-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Kill won't be there in 18.

THEsocalledfan
08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Kill won't be there in 18.

I think he will unless his epilepsy holds him back. Solid coach that I think even MN is not stupid enough to fire and doubt he will have anywhere else to go.

344Johnson
08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
I think he will unless his epilepsy holds him back. Solid coach that I think even MN is not stupid enough to fire and doubt he will have anywhere else to go.

Same school that got rid of Glen Mason..... Don't underestimate UM's ability to get rid of a decent coach.

missingnumber7
08-21-2014, 01:53 PM

Kill won't be there in 18...the aw shucks thing with the epilepsy will either grow old or the disgust with the barely making it into a crappy bowl game.

This is his first season where everything here is his class from start to finish...I don't think they finish over .500. I think the school is really starting to wonder about his health, and if he has issues during the season I think they find a way to start to ease him out the door.

gotts
08-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Jerry Kill said in news conference thank god we don't have ndsu on the schedule anymore.

Pitino refuses to schedule us too especially after the big dance win

Or maybe it's because of all those crushing wins we have over them at The Barn.

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
The better the gophers get, the better recruits will drop to ndsu. It's too bad they ain't a top 25 team. Oh well shucks

NodakBizon
08-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Kill must of had a seizure while giving this interview comparing us to Eastern Illinois.

MNLonghorn10
08-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Good luck getting a relevant program to jeopardise their season so they can get a crack at mighty ndsu then.

Unless a move up is in the cards the next 5 years, imo, u of m type programs are who ndsu is going to see on the schedule....that's if they can find somebody

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

GOBISON123
08-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Only an epilepsy patient can compare NDSU with Eastern Illinois.

Tatanka
08-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Kill must of had a seizure while giving this interview comparing us to Eastern Illinois.

IMHO completely unnecessary. Kill is by all accounts a good man and a good coach.

KTF
08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
IMHO completely unnecessary. Kill is by all accounts a good man and a good coach.

I second this statement, no reason for unneccessary comments about Kill due to his health issues.

BisonTeacher
08-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Takes a certain person to pick on someone with disabilities. Congratulations.

WildBill
08-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Nothing to see here. Just Kill motivating his troops. Why would the Star Tribune hold out two other scores? Other than they came from the ill fated Brewster era and Kill's first year. Not really relevant to either teams in 2014.

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Wild Bill. The startribune has marching orders not to talk about NDSU and they avoid NDSU stories at all costs. The fact that there is 5 nfl players from NDSU who live in the twin cities getting absolutely zero press tells me all I need to know. Yet Sid & Souhan, etc are so quick to talk about other twin cities kids non stop.

WildBill
08-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Nebraska says what?

JSUBison
08-21-2014, 03:53 PM

http://outlawmama.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/pump-it-up-fort-collins-4.jpg

WildBill
08-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Wild Bill. The startribune has marching orders not to talk about NDSU and they avoid NDSU stories at all costs. The fact that there is 5 nfl players from NDSU who live in the twin cities getting absolutely zero press tells me all I need to know. Yet Sid & Souhan, etc are so quick to talk about other twin cities kids non stop.

Absolutely false.

mnriverbison
08-21-2014, 04:02 PM
This here.

Gophers cannot overlook any team although this year's EIU team will be mediocre at best.

NDSU got some press down in the cities, good thing IMO.

This.

Those of you who think that TC media is involved in some conspiracy to make the UM football program look good probably don't spend a lot of time consuming TC sports media. That program is the low-hanging fruit for sports media who want a punching bag to pile on. In an article which has ZERO to do with NDSU, there was nothing but nice things said about NDSU. How is this a bad thing? And where are the MN fans who don't give NDSU credit? Do you know these people or are you speaking of twitter and message board trolls? Most UM fans would have loved to have seen Bohl replace Brewster and virtually every human person who follows CFB in MSP pulls for NDSU to win it all. What higher compliment is there than that? Additionally, why do you think so many MSP kids want to play ball in Fargo? Because of the anti-bison sentiment? Of course not. MSP football people know NDSU is legit and give the proper respect.

mnriverbison
08-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Nebraska says what?

Exactly, if we beat a top 25 ranked Nebraska team they would be selling DVDs of the game at Scheels until the year 2030.

Why the Strib would include the entire back-story to every comment ever quoted in their paper is beyond me. Chapo I like your takes man but you're in 9-11 truther mode right now.

tony
08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
The Twin Cities has been extremely good to NDSU. Cripes, the Star Tribune gives about 100x the ink to NDSU that the Bismarck Tribune does.

I take it as a compliment that Jerry Kill used the specter of NDSU to make sure that they don't take EIU lightly. Not many coaches are ever going to say anything like, "EIU? Well, they're nowhere near as good as NDSU." Part of the coach's job is to sell tickets.

Jerry Kill is a very good coach, btw.

El_Chapo
08-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Yea no reason to hate on kill
Mnriver. Startribune bends over for gophers and protects them , kfan doesn't.

mnriverbison
08-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Yea no reason to hate on kill
Mnriver. Startribune bends over for gophers and protects them , kfan doesn't.

The strib, no. They published Souhan's reprehensible "fire kill for having epilepsy" troll job and they are quick to deride the gophers noncon schedule despite it being the same as basically every other team's. You're basically just talking about Sid. And yes anyone who gives Sid a platform is certainly worthy of ripping, but he doesn't have any sort of bias per se. He is willing to do PR thinly disguised as journalism for anyone. That often includes folks at the UM but he'd do it for you if you could scratch his back too.

And sports radio just sucks in general. You only can listen for a few years before you have heard a lifetime worth of hot #takes. Luckily for us the only decent guys out there, Dan Patrick and SVP, love the freaking Bison.

WildBill
08-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry, i don't see the Star Tribune hate. KFAN is horrible for college football of any kind. They are pro sports orientated, and it shows.

bisonwest
08-21-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't have a problem with this at all. He is actually respecting us. The other thing is that EIU probably does have comparable athletes to NDSU. The big difference is the system. We were a much more complete veteran team last year. The big thing is we have had over everybody else is great leadership at every level of the athletics dept and highly intelligent coaching.

ZHerd
08-21-2014, 04:47 PM
I think the gist of Kill's statement is that the Gophers are playing a quality FCS program (which Eastern Il is). I wouldn't read into it any more than that. I really like Kill. He is humble and down to earth. Based on words and demeanor you can tell he isn't the elitist snit found in leadership at some power 5 schools. He comes from our kind of roots and the Gophs have become a tougher, smarter team under him.

BisonNation11
08-21-2014, 04:49 PM
I think the gist of Kill's statement is that the Gophers are playing a quality FCS program (which Eastern Il is). I wouldn't read into it any more than that. I really like Kill. He is humble and down to earth. Based on words and demeanor you can tell he isn't the elitist snit found in leadership at some power 5 schools. He comes from our kind of roots and the Gophs have become a tougher, smarter team under him.

Didn't EIU lose their starting QB and head coach? I'm not saying that's the entire team, but some pretty key pieces from last year's team.

ndsubison1
08-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Hes just saying they're a good team. Which they were last year. They had a hell of an offense

runtheoption
08-21-2014, 05:18 PM
I think Kill is just saying that relatively speaking, the Holocaust is way worse than stubbing your toe.

FFBison
08-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Didn't EIU lose their starting QB and head coach? I'm not saying that's the entire team, but some pretty key pieces from last year's team.

Lost both Jimmy Garoppolo and Eric Lora, their top WR.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Good luck getting a relevant program to jeopardise their season so they can get a crack at mighty ndsu then.

Unless a move up is in the cards the next 5 years, imo, u of m type programs are who ndsu is going to see on the schedule....that's if they can find somebody

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Actually, I would think the better teams would be more likely to schedule us, as they have nothing to fear and I think these are the only type of programs we are going to be able to schedule in the near future. I would rather doubt that the elite FBS teams are afraid to play us, if they are, then shame on them. On the other hand, I can see where the bottom feeder programs won't schedule us, they do indeed have a lot to fear.

However, you may be right in that if we don't move up, we may end up not playing any FBS games period. Only, time will tell.

mnriverbison
08-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Actually, I would think the better teams would be more likely to schedule us, as they have nothing to fear and I think these are the only type of programs we are going to be able to schedule in the near future. I would rather doubt that the elite FBS teams are afraid to play us, if they are, then shame on them. On the other hand, I can see where the bottom feeder programs won't schedule us, they do indeed have a lot to fear.

However, you may be right in that if we don't move up, we may end up not playing any FBS games period. Only, time will tell.

I hope you are right that we can schedule big teams, but that leans on 2 assumptions. 1 I hope is true, the other I'm pretty sure is not.

1-that we continue to be head and shoulders above all FCS comers for years to come. This would be nice, but unlikely. NDSU has not been a regular ole FCS Champ the past few years, we've been considerably better than even the #5 or 6 teams. That is unprecedented dominance that will eventually end.

2-Elite FBS teams don't fear FCS teams, but why play us? No credible and objective person seriously thinks we are at Bama's level so there is nothing to prove on that end. And there is absolutely nothing at all to gain in playing us vs playing any other run of the mill non-con "cupcake" game. We aren't on their radar at all. It isn't that Alabama is choosing not to play NDSU, it's that they have never given it a moment's thought. Kind of like how I didn't take my wife to a crack house for our anniversary. I didn't really "not" take her, it was never anything that would ever cross my mind.

TXBison
08-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I hope you are right that we can schedule big teams, but that leans on 2 assumptions. 1 I hope is true, the other I'm pretty sure is not.

1-that we continue to be head and shoulders above all FCS comers for years to come. This would be nice, but unlikely. NDSU has not been a regular ole FCS Champ the past few years, we've been considerably better than even the #5 or 6 teams. That is unprecedented dominance that will eventually end.

2-Elite FBS teams don't fear FCS teams, but why play us? No credible and objective person seriously thinks we are at Bama's level so there is nothing to prove on that end. And there is absolutely nothing at all to gain in playing us vs playing any other run of the mill non-con "cupcake" game. We aren't on their radar at all. It isn't that Alabama is choosing not to play NDSU, it's that they have never given it a moment's thought. Kind of like how I didn't take my wife to a crack house for our anniversary. I didn't really "not" take her, it was never anything that would ever cross my mind.

Playing a FBS game each year is a huge recruiting tool for FCS teams I hope they can continue to find teams that will play them even if they are not regional "rivals".

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2014, 10:32 PM

You have some very valid points, however, Bama, and the rest of the SEC, have already set precedence by actually playing FCS teams, which makes me think they will continue to do so in the future. You're right that the elite programs have nothing to gain by playing us, but they pretty much all do anyway. Actually, they do have something to gain, albeit not very much, in that they get a guarenteed home game that counts towards bowl eligibility and an almost certain victory.

All of this leads me to believe we will be able to schedule FBS games in the future, although they will be farther away and tickets and victories will be harder to come by.

BisoninNWMN
08-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Lost both Jimmy Garoppolo and Eric Lora, their top WR.

That was the EIU team last year.

Gophers will steam roll this year's EIU squad.

Herd
08-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Nebraska says what?

A good win for sure (and frankly I was extremely pumped to see a MN win in this one). But a win at home, not a win on the road against a defending conf champion. Does MN have a shot vs. KState last year on the road? No, not in 2013.

This year I expect big things from MN . . . 10-2.