PDA

View Full Version : Mangino ISU no huddle offense

El_Chapo
08-13-2014, 12:13 PM
http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/iowastate/iowa-state-notebook-new-offensive-direction-a-good-tight-end/article_b4fda240-428a-5ea1-8e52-ce8c666f7a5f.html?mode=jqm

nder Mangino, Iowa State will run a no-huddle, spread offense with a lot of three wide receiver sets and only one back. The big change will be in the offense will be pace and a simple approach.

“We aren’t smart enough in Ames ... to outsmart other coaches and other teams,” Rhoads said. “We want to be simple where our kids can execute at a high rate.”

ndsu defense practices against 2 scout offense units simultaneously like the last 3 years so they are used to fast pace

Ps what a weird Rhoads quote about his coaches

westnodak93bison
08-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Must be the water?

IzzyFlexion
08-13-2014, 12:46 PM
After 3 consecutive "3 and outs" to start the game they'll have to change to plan B......................if they have a plan B,

BisonTeacher
08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
After 3 consecutive "3 and outs" to start the game they'll have to change to plan B......................if they have a plan B,

Exactly what i was thinking Izzy. It wont be hard to remember plays when they only have to remember 3 at a time.

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Actually I cannot recall ever playing a good spread no huddle offense. This is uncharted water for us because we have not faced this kind of offense against an FBS team with some weapons, at least not that I am aware of. This will be interesting

344Johnson
08-13-2014, 12:58 PM
No huddle offenses make me nervous

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 12:59 PM

http://youtu.be/tMOHdpaRUio?t=13s

"giving up is a part of our culture" ~Iowa State Head Football Coach Paul Rhoads

BisonNation11
08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Actually I cannot recall ever playing a good spread no huddle offense. This is uncharted water for us because we have not faced this kind of offense against an FBS team with some weapons, at least not that I am aware of. This will be interesting

The thing that should help NDSU is this is a new offense for ISU. Going no huddle, up-tempo with it being a brand new system in a game time situation leaves a lot of room for miscommunication and errors. Capitalize on their mistakes and this could get ugly quickly. Vice versa as well if they run the system well.

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 01:08 PM
No huddle offenses make me nervous

Me too. If we are going to ever get blown out it is against this :/ D better bring their A game. If we can get them 3 and out in quick succession we will grind them into the ground 2nd half.

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 01:09 PM
http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/iowastate/iowa-state-notebook-new-offensive-direction-a-good-tight-end/article_b4fda240-428a-5ea1-8e52-ce8c666f7a5f.html?mode=jqm

nder Mangino, Iowa State will run a no-huddle, spread offense with a lot of three wide receiver sets and only one back. The big change will be in the offense will be pace and a simple approach.

“We aren’t smart enough in Ames ... to outsmart other coaches and other teams,” Rhoads said. “We want to be simple where our kids can execute at a high rate.”

ndsu defense practices against 2 scout offense units simultaneously like the last 3 years so they are used to fast pace

Agreed. He very obviously called his coaching staff stupid

westnodak93bison
08-13-2014, 01:15 PM
I assume we go nickel against the spread?

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Both Coastal and UNH ran this style of offense and to put it lightly, NDSU's D handled it pretty well. Now these aren't FBS teams, but both had talented players who are getting serious looks in the NFL this year.

Now maybe ISU's talent is more broad across their receivers and they will be able to exploit a one on one matchup somewhere in NDSU's secondary? That to me would seem to be their likely strategy against NDSU, and the more challenging aspect compared to the spread FCS teams NDSU faced last year. For this to work for them, it will put a lot of pressure on their QB (whoever that eventually ends up being) to perform at a very high and consistent level, which is a pretty big unknown at this point.

El_Chapo
08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Iowa State's MAJOR problem is. when you have 3 Quarterbacks, you have NONE.

bri-dog
08-13-2014, 01:37 PM
They tried to huddle up around Mangino in practice, but none of the players could see each other. So they decided to skip it.

IzzyFlexion
08-13-2014, 01:41 PM
They tried to huddle up around Mangino in practice, but none of the players could see each other. So they decided to skip it.

Well, in all fairness to the players..............19% of them were standing in Nebraska.

Professor Chaos
08-13-2014, 01:41 PM
The Gophers in '07 ran a spread offense with Adam Weber (who was in the NFL for a few years I think) throwing to Eric Decker and Ernie Wheelright (who was talented but lazy). Of course that was in their first year under perhaps the worst head coach in college football history.

Thread drift but in searching for this I found this hidden gem archived on the interwebs.... it's worth a good laugh... I mean read: Tim Brewster's Philosophy (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080907aac.html)

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Both Coastal and UNH ran this style of offense and to put it lightly, NDSU's D handled it pretty well. Now these aren't FBS teams, but both had talented players who are getting serious looks in the NFL this year.

Now maybe ISU's talent is more broad across their receivers and they will be able to exploit a one on one matchup somewhere in NDSU's secondary? That to me would seem to be their likely strategy against NDSU, and the more challenging aspect compared to the spread FCS teams NDSU faced last year. For this to work for them, it will put a lot of pressure on their QB (whoever that eventually ends up being) to perform at a very high and consistent level, which is a pretty big unknown at this point.

In the Fargodome it was the slowest paced no huddles ever. NH essentially was huddling that game and their offensive skill was low. Coastal was pretty talented

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Iowa State's MAJOR problem is. when you have 3 Quarterbacks, you have NONE.

The way Rohach finished the year it will be him and I bet he has been playing with their first team all camp. They just want that to look like a dilemma.

HerdBot
08-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Did the ncaa ever pass the rules change allowing defensive substitutions in the first 10 seconds of every play, except I'm the last 2 minutes?

bri-dog
08-13-2014, 02:06 PM
The way Rohach finished the year it will be him and I bet he has been playing with their first team all camp. They just want that to look like a dilemma.

https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/sites/default/files/rorschach.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks this every time I read his name?

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 02:08 PM
I find the QB smack talk entertaining coming from ISU. Their offensive system is going to require a much higher and consistent quality of play from their quarterback to take advantage of where all their talent is (in their receivers), and yet they have no clear standout among 3 candidates.

Maybe they understand how important the quarterback is to ISU's style of offense and just assume the same is true for the Bison, or maybe they just have a talking points level of understanding of NDSU? Either way they seem to think NDSU's biggest issue coming into this year is losing Brock Jensen. Now even to the Bison the QB is important, but the job requirements are far less demanding. The fact they focus on losing Jensen constantly and don't ever mention Turner by name I find astoundingly ignorant.

The Bison offense can succeed if they can run the ball well, then Wentz's job will be to make the correct checks at the line to get into manageable 3rd down situations and occasionally complete a 7-12 yard pass. Did Brock even attempt a pass over 15 yards against K-State?

They also point to Wentz not having any meaningful game reps as an indication of his likely poor performance. However I think his situation as the clear cut backup on a championship team playing and practicing two extended season against the best defense in the FCS is likely to make him well prepared to take over as the starter this year.

At any rate, if ISU's three man QB race results in average QB play, that is far more concerning to them then average play from Wentz coming out as a first time starter would be to the Bison.

BadlandsBison
08-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Great. Now we will never stop them.
Isu 78 - NDSU 5

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 02:17 PM
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/sites/default/files/rorschach.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks this every time I read his name?

I picture a Klingon but that works too

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 02:20 PM

I also think this is likely the case.

SDbison
08-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Isu 78 - NDSU 5 Oh crap, game over. I am thinking ISU 98, NDSU 2.

Bisonator98
08-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately for ISU is that type of offense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on their own defense and their defense is in a word horrible. If they end up 3 and out or worse with turnovers I like our chances even more.

LakesCyclone
08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
The thing that should help NDSU is this is a new offense for ISU. Going no huddle, up-tempo with it being a brand new system in a game time situation leaves a lot of room for miscommunication and errors. Capitalize on their mistakes and this could get ugly quickly. Vice versa as well if they run the system well.

Wrong. Iowa State has run a no-huddle spread for the past several years. Mangino version may be somewhat different and some wrinkles may be experienced, but this is not a significant change.

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Isu 78 - NDSU 5This seems about right

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately for ISU is that type of offense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on their own defense and their defense is in a word horrible. If they end up 3 and out or worse with turnovers I like our chances even more. The defense wont be as bad as you think

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 02:41 PM
The defense wont be as bad as you think

But since our offense will likely be better than you think, your defense will be worse than you think

GOBISON123
08-13-2014, 02:47 PM
How did K-State score against the Bison, not much with their Running Game obviously.

Bisonator98
08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
The defense wont be as bad as you think

Why not? What's different then last year besides a few players here or there? They suddenly figured out they're supposed to tackle over the summer???

BisonNation11
08-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Wrong. Iowa State has run a no-huddle spread for the past several years. Mangino version may be somewhat different and some wrinkles may be experienced, but this is not a significant change.

No-huddle spread and up-tempo no-huddle are two different animals. The Broncos last year ran no huddle spread, but you better believe you heard "Omaha" right down to the final seconds of the play clock. Hope this plan was put in place before summer workouts or your lineman are going to be in for a long day. By the way, Mangino is an idiot. Just ask your head coach.

Bison 4 Life
08-13-2014, 03:19 PM
No-huddle spread and up-tempo no-huddle are two different animals. The Broncos last year ran no huddle spread, but you better believe you heard "Omaha" right down to the final seconds of the play clock. Hope this plan was put in place before summer workouts or your lineman are going to be in for a long day. By the way, Mangino is an idiot. Just ask your head coach.

and lets be very clear about this. He isn't Bob Stoops, Oklahoma was just fine after he left and Kansas had a couple of good seasons but not great seasons. It's a pretty low bar here in Lawrence as I am sure it is in Ames.

LakesCyclone
08-13-2014, 03:48 PM

I've never expected miracles from Mangino; but I do expect improvement in two or three areas: More cerebral play calling.....improved check down by our quarterbacks....and improved syncronization between our quarterbacks and receivers. I'm optimistic that I'll see this.

Green1
08-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I've never expected miracles from Mangino; but I do expect improvement in two or three areas: More cerebral play calling.....improved check down by our quarterbacks....and improved syncronization between our quarterbacks and receivers. I'm optimistic that I'll see this.

Too bad your coaching staff could not settle on a qb in a timely fashion. In my opinion, it would have helped some of the areas you are looking for improvement.

Bison"FANatic"
08-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Hey its the Mangino way. Didn't YSU play 3 Qb's against us last year.

They each did have passes for over 20-25 yards though.

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Didn't YSU play 3 Qb's against us last year.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ill/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/884326.jpeg
#cheapshot

EC8CH
08-13-2014, 04:04 PM
It's a pretty low bar here in Lawrence as I am sure it is in Ames.

Come on now... only 60% of them are happy with consistently only going 50% on the year:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191027

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 04:04 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ill/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/884326.jpeg
#cheapshot

Forgot about that

LakesCyclone
08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Hey its the Mangino way. Didn't YSU play 3 Qb's against us last year.

They each did have passes for over 20-25 yards though.

Mangino was the head coach, offensive coordinator or quarterback coach at Youngstown State? News to me. Tight end coach I'll buy.

Bison 4 Life
08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Mangino was the head coach, offensive coordinator or quarterback coach at Youngstown State? News to me. Tight end coach I'll buy.

No, he was the pariah desperate for a job. A job that allowed him to fail up.

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Mangunius...

BadlandsBison
08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Mangunius...
Mangunius. Exactly what I was thinking.

Btw, if you were feebly trying to type mangenius that one is taken by Eric Mangini like a decade ago.

Bison 4 Life
08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Mangunius...

Ok so where was the genius with 4 of his 8 years at KU having losing records? Only 1 year with a winning conference record?

Why didn't he have a job between 2009-2013?

Seems like he's riding a season that happened 14 years ago for all it's worth.

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Ok so where was the genius with 4 of his 8 years at KU having losing records? Only 1 year with a winning conference record?

Why didn't he have a job between 2009-2013?

Seems like he's riding a season that happened 14 years ago for all it's worth. he won a coach of the year, had a winning record at Kansas, won a BCS game, a proven OC.

BisonNation11
08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Well you will get more simple play calling, that's for sure. Sounds like he plans to have all 10 plays on a recipe card (which I'm sure will be the back side of his favorite recipe). Check downs have nothing to do with Hamgino. It's the QB's ability to read a defense and make progressions through his reads. Same thing with timing on throws.

Bison 4 Life
08-13-2014, 04:31 PM
he won a coach of the year, had a winning record at Kansas, won a BCS game, a proven OC.

50-48 is barely winning. 23-41 in the conference is very much not winning.

Bison 4 Life
08-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Well you will get more simple play calling, that's for sure. Sounds like he plans to have all 10 plays on a recipe card (which I'm sure will be the back side of his favorite recipe). Check downs have nothing to do with Hamgino. It's the QB's ability to read a defense and make progressions through his reads. Same thing with timing on throws.

Truth be told, that's probably a very big card.

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 04:40 PM
50-48 is barely winning. 23-41 in the conference is very much not winning.
He has a better resume then your head coach

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Truth be told, that's probably a very big card.

Na, it doesn't take much space to write "sugar and Lard"

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
He has a better resume then your head coach

Head coach of the Bison through spring and fall camps = awesomeness

LakesCyclone
08-13-2014, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=BisonNation11;893353]Well you will get more simple play calling, that's for sure. Sounds like he plans to have all 10 plays on a recipe card (which I'm sure will be the back side of his favorite recipe). Check downs have nothing to do with Hamgino. It's the QB's ability to read a defense and make progressions through his reads. Same thing with timing on throws.[/QUOT

Wrong again!

Hail bison
08-13-2014, 04:45 PM
he won a coach of the year, had a winning record at Kansas, won a BCS game, a proven OC.

I was reading an online article in the Daily Cornhole, er sorry, Ames Tribune about your juco DE transfer, Taylor. The article mentions a couple other juco defensive transfers. Does ISU normally do this or do you have that many holes on defense? Seems odd for an Fbs team

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I was reading an online article in the Daily Cornhole, er sorry, Ames Tribune about your juco DE transfer, Taylor. The article mentions a couple other juco defensive transfers. Does ISU normally do this or do you have that many holes on defense? Seems odd for an Fbs team 2 dlineman were kicked off the team

BadlandsBison
08-13-2014, 04:50 PM
2 dlineman were kicked off the team
Mangunius is trimming the fat. Well, you know where this is going

Hail bison
08-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Another incident at the ISU hog barns?

IzzyFlexion
08-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Mangunius is trimming the fat. Well, you know where this is going

ISU Fun Fact. Straight from the ISU Media Guide.

Mangino's actual surname is Nelson. It was legally changed as part of a plea deal in a Kansas courtroom after he pleaded no contest after being charged with devouring a man (a line cook) named Gino at a Golden Corral in Salina.

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:02 PM

He spun around too quickly at practice and they ended up in the Gulf.

LakesCyclone
08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I was reading an online article in the Daily Cornhole, er sorry, Ames Tribune about your juco DE transfer, Taylor. The article mentions a couple other juco defensive transfers. Does ISU normally do this or do you have that many holes on defense? [B][B]Seems odd for an Fbs team

Where you been Hail?

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Which two?

Hail bison
08-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Where you been Hail?

3 on one side of the ball? Just seems odd for a big 12 team. I suppose with 85 it probably happens more than I realized?

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Which two?
David Irving Rodney Coe, both were starts

Hail bison
08-13-2014, 05:12 PM

What did they do?

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:13 PM

In that matchup both teams have now lost two expected starters.

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 05:17 PM
What did they do?http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/football/article_a90344b0-aaec-11e3-a8ac-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_09eed81c-c1b2-11e3-9af6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

BadlandsBison
08-13-2014, 05:25 PM
ISU Fun Fact. Straight from the ISU Media Guide.

Mangino's actual surname is Nelson. It was legally changed as part of a plea deal in a Kansas courtroom after he pleaded no contest after being charged with devouring a man (a line cook) named Gino at a Golden Corral in Salina.
I remember seeing that on an episode of River Monsters

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:31 PM
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/football/article_a90344b0-aaec-11e3-a8ac-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_09eed81c-c1b2-11e3-9af6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

Wow, you guys need to hire full time babysitters for that group.

HerdBoy
08-13-2014, 05:34 PM
OK BDK what is Veishea?

bigdaddykane
08-13-2014, 05:40 PM
OK BDK what is Veishea? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEISHEA
But veishea got called off due to riots

HerdBoy
08-13-2014, 05:47 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEISHEA
But veishea got called off due to riots

OK. I had never heard of it before. Riots in Ames?

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:47 PM
OK BDK what is Veishea?

Interesting some of the personnel similarities between our teams. Both have ??? at qb and have qb's with potential but not a ton of experience. Both have a stud DE returning and a bunch of new guys on the rest of the line. Both teams get their top WR and TE back, and both teams return a RB that they are happy with and both teams return their most explosive kick returners. We return more in the LBs and DBs and ISU returns far more at o-line

HerdBoy
08-13-2014, 05:50 PM
I would guess the Bison punt and kicking game is better.

ZHerd
08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
I would guess the Bison punt and kicking game is better.

Probably, Ben is very very good. I wonder if we won't do what we did against K-State though because they have a pretty good return guy.

HerdBoy
08-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Looking at the most recent ISU depth chart they now have 2 sophomores, 1 freshman, and senior Corey Morrissey on the D-line.

KUlawJack
08-13-2014, 06:09 PM
If the ISU offense is run like the KU offense was, it will be a no huddle spread, but not specifically designed to speed teams up.

From what I remember from 2007-2010, KU would have a play called in with the guys in their formation already, with Reesing, the WRs, and RBs looking for the play call on the sideline. The coaches upstairs would look at the defense, call an audible, or tell them to go ahead. Reesing, the WRs and RBs would watch and see if they should run the play or if the play changed and then they'd go. It wasn't fast paced by any stretch, but they had the ability to do that if need be.

SDbison
08-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Not worried about the Man gina.

KilldeerBison
08-13-2014, 07:45 PM

I believe the man Gina plan B is to follow up with a quick plan M. This has become his hallmark, the man Gina BM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gumby013
08-13-2014, 07:48 PM

Mangino's plan B is McRibs and Shamrock Shakes.

Tatanka
08-14-2014, 02:49 AM
Mangino's plan B is McRibs and Shamrock Shakes.

And a diet coke.

TAILG8R
08-14-2014, 02:55 AM
And a diet coke.

Does he even bother with the charade or ordering a diet?

thundarsdaddy
08-14-2014, 02:58 AM

On to PLAN B.....1 and INT for TD....BABY???

No huddles are a hi-risk strategy...lead to sometimes big rewards...or big turnovers

BYZEN
08-14-2014, 03:06 AM
On to PLAN B.....1 and INT for TD....BABY???

No huddles are a hi-risk strategy...lead to sometimes big rewards...or big turnovers

#ButtitwillbesoloudtheBisonDwillbeintimidated:rofl :

ndsubison1
08-14-2014, 05:35 AM
The Gophers in '07 ran a spread offense with Adam Weber (who was in the NFL for a few years I think) throwing to Eric Decker and Ernie Wheelright (who was talented but lazy). Of course that was in their first year under perhaps the worst head coach in college football history.

Thread drift but in searching for this I found this hidden gem archived on the interwebs.... it's worth a good laugh... I mean read: Tim Brewster's Philosophy (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080907aac.html)

i dont think that offense is similar to no huddle types now

THEsocalledfan
08-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Gotta love coaches who come into the middle of the midwest, with beef eating farm kids that can simply beat people up, and they put in a spread offense. This stuff cracks me up; Bohl and Osborne have proven the Nebraska way is the right way to win in this area.....

Addendum: I do need to also tip my hat to Glen Mason who was the last competent Gopher coach, prior to Kill, who also used this blueprint.

Bison 4 Life
08-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Gotta love coaches who come into the middle of the midwest, with beef eating farm kids that can simply beat people up, and they put in a spread offense. This stuff cracks me up; Bohl and Osborne have proven the Nebraska way is the right way to win in this area.....

That tells me they know their defense sucks. Have to try to score a lot to keep up.

bisonaudit
08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
He's no Chip Kelly:

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/

BlueBisonRock
08-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Addendum: I do need to also tip my hat to Glen Mason who was the last competent Gopher coach, prior to Kill, who also used this blueprint.

Let me think... Yeah that's right. That one guy between Mason and Kill did not have a clue about coaching. He made the MN faithful feel stupid for their 'Fire Mason' cheers.

THEsocalledfan
08-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Let me think... Yeah that's right. That one guy between Mason and Kill did not have a clue about coaching. He made the MN faithful feel stupid for their 'Fire Mason' cheers.
Yet Bohl must have been worse since passed over at the time.....

BlueBisonRock
08-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Yet Bohl must have been worse since passed over at the time.....

Just another part of the Maturi lore.

BisonTeacher
08-15-2014, 02:51 AM

This. Talk about hindsight....

Edit...I actually made a sign that said fire mason, and had it at the first NDSU game.