PDA

View Full Version : Bill Snyder on money in college athletics

mnriverbison
08-07-2014, 04:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11319063/bill-snyder-kansas-state-wildcats-think-sold-out

Worth a read and consideration no matter which side of the FBS debate you sit on. It was an honor to see the Bison beat such an honest and decent man who also happens to be an accomplished coach.

During a lengthy oratory in which the 74-year-old coach planned to discuss the upcoming season, Snyder argued that TV has assumed too much control of college sports; education has become a second thought; and that the entire endeavor "distorts" the values of young people.

"It's changed. I mean, college athletics, football in particular, has changed dramatically over the years," Snyder said. "I think we've sold out. We're all about dollars and cents.

"The concept of college football no longer has any bearing on the quality of the person, the quality of students. Universities are selling themselves out."

We are not immune to this either in FCS. While bowls and national TV deals haven't totally poisoned our thing, regional rivalries and decades of tradition are dead as a by-product of the original set up being destroyed by TV/money.

Bison 4 Life
08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11319063/bill-snyder-kansas-state-wildcats-think-sold-out

Worth a read and consideration no matter which side of the FBS debate you sit on. It was an honor to see the Bison beat such an honest and decent man who also happens to be an accomplished coach.

During a lengthy oratory in which the 74-year-old coach planned to discuss the upcoming season, Snyder argued that TV has assumed too much control of college sports; education has become a second thought; and that the entire endeavor "distorts" the values of young people.

"It's changed. I mean, college athletics, football in particular, has changed dramatically over the years," Snyder said. "I think we've sold out. We're all about dollars and cents.

"The concept of college football no longer has any bearing on the quality of the person, the quality of students. Universities are selling themselves out."

We are not immune to this either in FCS. While bowls and national TV deals haven't totally poisoned our thing, regional rivalries and decades of tradition are dead as a by-product of the original set up being destroyed by TV/money.

He's about 20 years too late.

bigdaddykane
08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
This is so true, it sucks

mnriverbison
08-07-2014, 04:56 PM
He's about 20 years too late.

I tend to agree, but even for the "good guys" of the game, I'm sure many of the small and incremental steps in "how we got here" on their own seemed harmless or worth it. It's really a huge bummer.

HerdBot
08-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Love Bill Snyder. He doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. Thank you Bill

moosbah
08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Love Bill Snyder. He doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. Thank you Bill

THIS a million times over.

Bison bison
08-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Says guy with a seven figure income and a Taj Mahal named after him.

Walk the Walk, Bill! Rename the place "Adjunct Professor of Entomology Herb Snerdley Stadium." Give all of your salary over $50,000 to help poor black kids from KC.

mnriverbison
08-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Walk the Walk, Bill! Rename the place "Adjunct Professor of Entomology Herb Snerdley Stadium." Give all of your salary over $50,000 to help poor black kids from KC.

That is a little harsh. Most of us are hypocrites in one way or another and damn sure none of us are perfect. There are a lot of situations in modern life where we directly or indirectly benefit from any number of societal ills. Pointing them out is a lot less hypocritical than ignoring them or worse yet rationalizing them IMO.

Besides, ad hominem attacks on Snyder don't really refute what he says. It's like Russel Brand says, "when I was poor and talked about inequality they said I was jealous. Now that I'm rich and talk about inequality they say I am a hypocrite. I'm starting to think that 'they' just don't want to talk about inequality". If you disagree with Snyder, feel free. For me the greater ill in college sports is structural and not the fact that some of the guys getting fat off the system admit to having a conscience.

GOB1SON
08-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Says guy with a seven figure income and a Taj Mahal named after him.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/692936036/marx_sharing_is_caring_infant_tshirt.jpg?height=25 0&width=250&padToSquare=true

Bison bison
08-07-2014, 07:15 PM
That is a little harsh.

Harsh?

He's among the top benefactors of the system (#19 in top paid college coaches at $2.9 million last year).

While he can't control the system, he can control himself. If he wants a simpler, happier existence, he can quit his job, go back to Colorado, and ride a sled.

SamsRams
08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I trust his opinion on which adult diapers work best. Everything else he says is gibberish

mnriverbison
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Harsh?

He's among the top benefactors of the system (#19 in top paid college coaches at $2.9 million last year).

While he can't control the system, he can control himself. If he wants a simpler, happier existence, he can quit his job, go back to Colorado, and ride a sled.

I think at this point we understand that you do not feel like Snyder is the right person to send this message. Now that the messenger is shot dead, care to comment on the message?

MAKBison
08-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Or he can use his fame influence etc as a platform to express his opinion.

Harsh?

mnriverbison
08-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Or he can use his fame influence etc as a platform to express his opinion.

Seriously. I'll reiterate, people benefiting from the system are the most credible critics as they are arguing against their own interests. Not that his comments shouldn't simply stand up to analysis regardless of who says them, but if you want a perfect messenger who better than the emperor to admit that the emperor has no clothes?

LakesCyclone
08-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Harsh?

Hard to deny when you're knocking the system while you're cashing the checks.

reformedUNDfan
08-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Harsh?

you realize it is possible for someone who benefits from the system to agree that its a mess.

MAKBison
08-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Is that KInda like saying all those who used Financial aid should tear up their diplomas or forfeit their right to voice an opinion?????

Bison bison
08-07-2014, 08:44 PM
you realize it is possible for someone who benefits from the system to agree that its a mess.

Yes. And they look like asses when doing so.