PDA

View Full Version : 14 To Watch in 2014

HerdBoy
07-14-2014, 10:34 PM
#14 Nate Tanguay

http://bcove.me/pzu8merh

17>1
07-14-2014, 10:45 PM
So is it safe to say he's getting the start along with Schaetz? Big kid, looking forward to seeing how he does. I'm getting even more excited every day.

THEsocalledfan
07-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Sounds like Kolpack admitted that K St win should have been in the other list......or, it was intentionally omitted to drive folks nuts!

HerdBoy
07-15-2014, 12:27 PM
They must have gotten some feedback. Any predictions on who is #1 in this list?

THEsocalledfan
07-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Since the stakes are so high and since this team could still be elite, Carson Wentz. The stakes are huge for him.

CivilBison96
07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

My Guess is Wentz.

THEsocalledfan
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
My Guess is Wentz.

I just can't imagine being 20-21 years-old and having that kind of pressure on your shoulders and having to follow the most legendary QB in NDSU history. It really is quite a story for follow and sure hope he has a great support structure of fan, family, and coaches that keep him up when the low points come......

Rockbear99
07-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Lets hope that this is like the Joe Montana/Steve Young days in SF. One great QB followed by another.

Gully
07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Lets hope that this is like the Joe Montana/Steve Young days in SF. One great QB followed by another.

That would be great. I just hope we can run the ball and our defense can keep us in games because there will definitley be a few struggles. To me the goal is to get in the playofffs and by then the players with less experience have had a chance to improve.....anything can happen then.

Mr. Burgundy
07-15-2014, 03:50 PM
He has more tools around him than any other QB we have ever had. We are absolutely LOADED with Vraa and our RB stable. This team is going to run the ball, like we always do. I am more concerned about the interior and health of our DL. That isn't set in stone yet. Would have been nice if Bohl would release Vega......stay classy Laramie. He won't be the last kid to hate Wyoming when he gets there. "But, it sounded perfect over the phone."

CAS4127
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
He has more tools around him than any other QB we have ever had. We are absolutely LOADED with Vraa and our RB stable. This team is going to run the ball, like we always do. I am more concerned about the interior and health of our DL. That isn't set in stone yet. Would have been nice if Bohl would release Vega......stay classy Laramie. He won't be the last kid to hate Wyoming when he gets there. "But, it sounded perfect over the phone."

We can have all the talent we want at RB, WR and QB, but if the Oline isn't there, we can't just run and pass at will. Given our LB's and secondary, I am less concerned about the DL than I am the Oline.

Hail bison
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM

That's the second time I've heard Vega mentioned recently. Please explain

CAS4127
07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
That's the second time I've heard Vega mentioned recently. Please explain

DLine recruit who signed with Wyo but now doesn't like it there and wants to be released.

344Johnson
07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
DLine recruit who signed with Wyo but now doesn't like it there and wants to be released.

Get Jay Bilas on it. He tweets relentlessly about this particular subject.

Bison"FANatic"
07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
We can have all the talent we want at RB, WR and QB, but if the Oline isn't there, we can't just run and pass at will. Given our LB's and secondary, I am less concerned about the DL than I am the Oline.

I have nightmares of that game against UNI a few years ago where they decided to have a party in our backfield and even set up a bed, a keg and bathroom back there since they lived there. The O can do nothing if the line is not performing. They need to gel well and I will be watching that closely against Iowa State.

Mr. Burgundy
07-15-2014, 04:37 PM
More issues on the DL than the OL currently. Health. Vega wants to be released from and FBS school, so he can talk to FCS schools....and they won't.

Bison 4 Life
07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
More issues on the DL than the OL currently. Health. Vega wants to be released from and FBS school, so he can talk to FCS schools....and they won't.

Have we confirmed that? I'm looking all over and they say he wants to leave but no word on if there's any resistance.

BadlandsBison
07-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Is Austin Farnlof healthy?

Bisonator98
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
More issues on the DL than the OL currently. Health.

Really? I would say the DL is in pretty good shape as far as the starters go with Emanuel, Hardie, Schaetz and Tanguay. Maybe lacking in depth. With only one returning starter in Haeg who will be moving to RT the oline will have more issues IMO. I'm still confident that we'll be OK anyway though. These guys will step up.

StL Bison Fan
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM

So, why wouldn't you release him. Making an example? Could this backfire?

BisonNation11
07-15-2014, 05:18 PM
So, why wouldn't you release him. Making an example? Could this backfire?

I would venture to guess either gives them time to talk him into staying, come up with terms for his release (makes him sound like a criminal), or make an example of him so this doesn't break down the flood walls for a bunch of kids to drop from the program.

HerdBot
07-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Is Austin Farnlof healthy?

Yes he's ready to go but like Tanguay he's new so we don't know what to expect, but I'm hopeful. Very talented but knee injury could have set him back. Maybe not

Tatanka
07-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Have we confirmed that? I'm looking all over and they say he wants to leave but no word on if there's any resistance.

If he wanted to leave and there was no resistance, would he still be there?

Bison 4 Life
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
If he wanted to leave and there was no resistance, would he still be there?

Likely not but all I can find is that he left the team on Friday.

dewey
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Likely not but all I can find is that he left the team on Friday.

Here are a few links I found that says that he left last Friday. I think it would be tough to beat UNI on a guy from Cedar Rapids that wants to be closer to home.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/freshman-dt-daniel-vega-leaves-wyoming-football-program/article_0f6361b8-4cad-5367-bf1d-d5a452edb9e7.html

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/blogs/diamonds-and-ice-by-jeff-johnson/vega-leaves-wyoming-20140710

He (Vega) in the second link said that he doesn't know if he has been released from his scholarship yet so the bashing of Bohl and Wyoming is without any proof.

Dewey

ZHerd
07-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Are there currently other health issues besides Schaetz? Depth will definitely get tested this year because there are always injuries during the season on D-lines

Bison 4 Life
07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Here are a few links I found that says that he left last Friday. I think it would be tough to beat UNI on a guy from Cedar Rapids that wants to be closer to home.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/freshman-dt-daniel-vega-leaves-wyoming-football-program/article_0f6361b8-4cad-5367-bf1d-d5a452edb9e7.html

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/blogs/diamonds-and-ice-by-jeff-johnson/vega-leaves-wyoming-20140710

He (Vega) in the second link said that he doesn't know if he has been released from his scholarship yet so the bashing of Bohl and Wyoming is without any proof.

Dewey

Didn't I read that he followed the NDSU offer to Wyoming so at least it seemed like a possibility?

TateMosersneighbor
07-15-2014, 07:02 PM
That would be great. I just hope we can run the ball and our defense can keep us in games because there will definitley be a few struggles. To me the goal is to get in the playofffs and by then the players with less experience have had a chance to improve.....anything can happen then.

Agree for the most part, but really the goal should be to get that #1 or #2 seed. Going through Fargo has been futile for the teams of the last 3 years. So they win the conference, show well against the Clowns (and possibly beat them)...ya never know. What we do know is that winning in the FargoDome has been very tough as of late.

Boils down to the line play this year...we've not had this many question marks on both lines like this in how many years?

semobison
07-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Agree for the most part, but really the goal should be to get that #1 or #2 seed. Going through Fargo has been futile for the teams of the last 3 years. So they win the conference, show well against the Clowns (and possibly beat them)...ya never know. What we do know is that winning in the FargoDome has been very tough as of late.

Boils down to the line play this year...we've not had this many question marks on both lines like this in how many years?

I agree. Football games are won in the trenches. The biggest reason were successful the past three seasons is that we constantly won the line of scrimmage. Offensively, give Wentz time and he will be successful. Open holes for the backs and we will run the football. On D, hold teams to 3ypc like we did last year and we can start talking about a 4 peat. The performance of our O and D lines imo are going to determine how successful we will be this season....6+ weeks till football season!!

TNbison
07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
#13 Andrew Bonnet

HerdBoy
07-15-2014, 08:56 PM
#13 Andrew Bonnet

http://bcove.me/p8ihx3wd

The Bison absolutely need to get the ball to Bonnet more this year. Dom and Zen Master Kolpack continue the countdown.

Professor Chaos
07-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Dewey
If he's homesick you're probably right but I seem to recall that he verballed to Illinois St before Bohl and company convinced him to decommit and go to Wyoming so there would definitely be plenty of competition if he is released.

Bison4peat
07-15-2014, 10:57 PM

The Bison absolutely need to get the ball to Bonnet more this year. Dom and Zen Master Kolpack continue the countdown.

Excellent choice. Andrew "War" Bonnet it is time to prepare for battle.:biggrin:

ZHerd
07-15-2014, 11:12 PM

I would much rather see him dominate in run blocking but he did have some nice touches last year. With Crockett, Vraa, Wrice, as well as other backs and receivers getting touches I wouldn't expect him to get a lot but who knows.

CAS4127
07-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Bonnet is a legit D1/FBS player. We are very lucky to have him.he would start on every Big 10/12 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
07-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Bonnet is a legit D1/FBS player. We are very lucky to have him.he would start on every Big 10/12 team.

He also has D1/FBS hair.

scottietohottie
07-16-2014, 02:11 AM

He also sports D1/FBS hair.

EC8CH
07-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Bonnet brought the hurt to YSU in 2013.

He was hitting d-backs so hard it knocked out my TV reception.

scottietohottie
07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
He also sports D1/FBS hair.

Sorry about the double post dumb tapatalk. Just know that was always the knock on Vandal he could play ball but just had no hair style what so ever. Even Grothman sported some chops and a stache for a while. Got to look good while you light people up!

THEsocalledfan
07-16-2014, 11:46 AM

In watching his highlights again, CAS, I agree with you. However, let's take it further; I wonder if he is a potential legit Sunday player. He has good size, and only a hair short for a TE. Yet, Jimmy K. went a long time in the NFL at about the same height. Clearly, he would need to be more or a TE than a FB to get a good look in the NFL, but his size and athleticism are pretty darn good.

TNbison
07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
#12 CJ Smith

HerdBoy
07-16-2014, 09:51 PM
#12 CJ Smith

Fist pumps galore.

http://bcove.me/nde13omd

westnodak93bison
07-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Fist pumps galore.

http://bcove.me/nde13omd
Gonna get a personal foul for taunting or whatever they call it

17>1
07-16-2014, 10:06 PM
In watching his highlights again, CAS, I agree with you. However, let's take it further; I wonder if he is a potential legit Sunday player. He has good size, and only a hair short for a TE. Yet, Jimmy K. went a long time in the NFL at about the same height. Clearly, he would need to be more or a TE than a FB to get a good look in the NFL, but his size and athleticism are pretty darn good.

Clearly, he would need to be able to fill in the role of an H-back...because Jimmy made it so long in the league because he was a tremendous blocker. I'm no expert on grading someones blocking ability however and honestly have no idea of how well Bonnet does in this area.

THEsocalledfan
07-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Clearly, he would need to be able to fill in the role of an H-back...because Jimmy made it so long in the league because he was a tremendous blocker. I'm no expert on grading someones blocking ability however and honestly have no idea of how well Bonnet does in this area.
Anyone know his speed? I think that would be the deciding factor as he'd have to be a passing target to make it.

scottietohottie
07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
I was told once that DT jobs where to fill gaps for LB if a DT makes a tackle or a sack that is actually a bonus. If that is the case think the D line will be ok might give up a play here or there but if they just try and fill the gaps the rest of the defense will do their jobs. The big question mark will be can the O line come together, can the O line dominate the line of scrimmage. A couple three and outs and then the defense starts to get tired from being on the field all the time. The key to this years success will be the O line.

TNbison
07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
#11 Travis Beck- If he stays healthy I think he'll make some serious noise this year

dewey
07-17-2014, 03:44 PM
#11 Travis Beck- If he stays healthy I think he'll make some serious noise this year

I love how Beck plays like he is pissed off.

Dewey

oldmantutters
07-17-2014, 03:55 PM
The two guys that I just get jacked to watch go #12 and #11. Beck has been my guy since 2011, specifically in the playoffs, but CJ brings so much excitement and enthusiasm to the field. One thing I hope is that Beck learns to pull his jersey down, looked kinda dumb with the straps from his shoulder pads sticking out all the time last year, IMO.

NorthernBison
07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
The two guys that I just get jacked to watch go #12 and #11. Beck has been my guy since 2011, specifically in the playoffs, but CJ brings so much excitement and enthusiasm to the field. One thing I hope is that Beck learns to pull his jersey down, looked kinda dumb with the straps from his shoulder pads sticking out all the time last year, IMO.
I think the straps were the result of the shoulder harness he was wearing and the need to keep adjusting it. Travis is on track to become the all-time NDSU leader in unassisted tackles and has a shot at the total tackles mark set by Joe Mays.

scottietohottie
07-17-2014, 06:57 PM
True story I talked to my old high school football coach the day after his team lost to Travis Beck's team in the playoffs. All he could say was that Travis Beck beat them all by himself. They just would hand him the ball and he would run every body over and he made almost every tackle on defense. And a side note would be he's one of those North Dakota kids that would never see the field once the Bison made the move to FCS. Hahaha how's that working out.

EC8CH
07-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Hahaha how's that working out.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/55/bf/f4/55bff43d745c92178843399927db0f99.jpg

Oh... that was a rhetorical question.

HerdBoy
07-17-2014, 09:51 PM

http://bcove.me/sxd3w75e

#1 Carson Wentz
#2 Ben LeCompte
#3 Zach Vraa
#4 Carlton Littlejohn
#5 John Crockett

NorthernBison
07-18-2014, 12:54 AM
True story I talked to my old high school football coach the day after his team lost to Travis Beck's team in the playoffs. All he could say was that Travis Beck beat them all by himself. They just would hand him the ball and he would run every body over and he made almost every tackle on defense. And a side note would be he's one of those North Dakota kids that would never see the field once the Bison made the move to FCS. Hahaha how's that working out.
Your coach wasn't 100% correct. I think Travis was playing QB by that time if it was his Senior year. Dinius was the back that rolled up yards like crazy and he was a little guy. I think he had well over 3,000 yards as a Senior. Travis was a beast on defense and a hard runner to take down when we had the ball. Player of the year in Class A.

Want to know how this kid thinks? When he was named Player of the year after the State Title game, his comment was, "I'm not sure I'm the best player on my team."

scottietohottie
07-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Your coach wasn't 100% correct. I think Travis was playing QB by that time if it was his Senior year. Dinius was the back that rolled up yards like crazy and he was a little guy. I think he had well over 3,000 yards as a Senior. Travis was a beast on defense and a hard runner to take down when we had the ball. Player of the year in Class A.

Want to know how this kid thinks? When he was named Player of the year after the State Title game, his comment was, "I'm not sure I'm the best player on my team."
Oh but Travis was a junior and i had coffee with coach Sunday morning and that was his words Travis beat them all by himself. Had like 38 carries for over 300 some yards that is a true story.

scottietohottie
07-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Now you have me second guessing myself he might have been a sophomore I'll have to look it up the coach that said had moved to another town by the time Travis was a senior I'll do some checking I wasn't at game just know what he said. Low scoring game like 14 to 8 or something

NorthernBison
07-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Oh but Travis was a junior and i had coffee with coach Sunday morning and that was his words Travis beat them all by himself. Had like 38 carries for over 300 some yards that is a true story.

Never mind. Junior year. I don't remember that team being all that successful. It was at team camp the following Summer that he hit the NDSU radar. Senior was the runner-up season.

NorthernBison
07-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Now you have me second guessing myself he might have been a sophomore I'll have to look it up the coach that said had moved to another town by the time Travis was a senior I'll do some checking I wasn't at game just know what he said. Low scoring game like 14 to 8 or something

I'll ask around. If Travis was a Sophomore, the Beck he was talking about was more likely his brother. He made his presence known more noticeably than Travis did. Imagine that.

scottietohottie
07-18-2014, 02:21 AM
I'll ask around. If Travis was a Sophomore, the Beck he was talking about was more likely his brother. He made his presence known more noticeably than Travis did. Imagine that.

Check your PM chances are i don't know what I'm talking about at all, wouldn't be the first time.

TNbison
07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
#10 Joe Haeg

BisonNation11
07-18-2014, 02:58 PM
#10 Joe Haeg

I watched "The Greatest Drive in NDSU History" on YouTube last night. Something that stuck out to me more than anything was during the screen pass to Lang, Haeg absolutely tosses his man to the ground in the backfield like a ragdoll and then gets up field to destroy another guy. He's got that "nasty" attitude that Billy used to own the left side. I have no worries of Joe locking down that side of the line.

HerdBoy
07-18-2014, 09:02 PM
#10 Joe Haeg

http://bcove.me/oson2vj2

6'6" 300 lbs?

TNbison
07-21-2014, 06:14 PM
#9 - Adam Keller

HerdBoy
07-21-2014, 06:43 PM
#9 - Adam Keller

http://bcove.me/cy4vh0j8

BisonNeil
07-22-2014, 03:21 AM
I watched "The Greatest Drive in NDSU History" on YouTube last night. Something that stuck out to me more than anything was during the screen pass to Lang, Haeg absolutely tosses his man to the ground in the backfield like a ragdoll and then gets up field to destroy another guy. He's got that "nasty" attitude that Billy used to own the left side. I have no worries of Joe locking down that side of the line.

Re watch the play before that. Bonnet gets knocked on his ass as he tries a weak block. He is a stud catching the ball out of the backfield but he has a long ways to go to be the blocker Grothmann was.

OrygunBison
07-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Fuck, dude. Relax the attack on my man Bonnet. The dude is awesome. You're comparing his blocking to one of the best Bison EVER in the backfield. Few will compare well.

Re watch the play before that. Bonnet gets knocked on his ass as he tries a weak block. He is a stud catching the ball out of the backfield but he has a long ways to go to be the blocker Grothmann was.

BisoninNWMN
07-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Disagree

One play.

He is a good blocker. Everyone gets beat at some time. He destroyed people with blocks also.

TNbison
07-22-2014, 02:55 PM
#8 - Ben Lecompte, absolute stud

Bison Dan
07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
#8 - Ben Lecompte, absolute studI'm glad he's only a junior.....

THEsocalledfan
07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
That SDSU punt was EPIC. Yes, the return man for SDSU really blew the play, but it was still nothing short of awesome.....

oldmantutters
07-22-2014, 03:04 PM
I remember seeing late in the year last year, that NDSU had given up 2 punt returns for a net of 1 yd. That was unreal. Special teams have been massive the last few years. Definitely a part of the team that often gets overlooked. Lets hope they can continue to be dominant.

NorthernBison
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Fuck, dude. Relax the attack on my man Bonnet. The dude is awesome. You're comparing his blocking to one of the best Bison EVER in the backfield. Few will compare well.
Bonnet is exciting to watch. I certainly haven't studied a lot of plays but he has a definite tendency. He LOVES to hurdle tacklers. There are times when it looks like he's looking to set up an opportunity to take to the air. It's exciting for fans. I just hope it doesn't become a liability for him.

Bisonator98
07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
I remember seeing late in the year last year, that NDSU had given up 2 punt returns for a net of 1 yd. That was unreal. Special teams have been massive the last few years. Definitely a part of the team that often gets overlooked. Lets hope they can continue to be dominant.

Still remember those kickoffs against K-State. Kept pooching them short until Lockett decided to play up for that last one and then we boom it over his head for the touch back. Left the announcers speechless at how well coached we were.

HerdBoy
07-22-2014, 10:48 PM
There went my list. I had LeCompte as #2.

http://bcove.me/12rz11zq

TNbison
07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
#7 - Kyle Emanuel

KC Bison
07-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Knowing how the last list went, they will get down to them picking the #1 pick and see that Wentz or Crockett haven't been selected yet. Their comment will be that they made mentioned of the one not picked under a difference selection.

Bisonator98
07-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Knowing how the last list went, they will get down to them picking the #1 pick and see that Wentz or Crockett haven't been selected yet. Their comment will be that they made mentioned of the one not picked under a difference selection.

Too many great players to list only 14 to watch. Still have Heagle, Dudzik, Vraa, LJ, Crockett, Wentz, Vaadaland, Hardie, Thorton, Schaetz, not to mention the younger guys who will have bigger roles this year.

Bison03
07-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Too many great players to list only 14 to watch. Still have Heagle, Dudzik, Vraa, LJ, Crockett, Wentz, Vaadaland, Hardie, Thorton, Schaetz, not to mention the younger guys who will have bigger roles this year.

Some of the guys you listed are players that we have been watching succeed already. I think the list is more of the "under the radar" guys, or players that haven't played a whole lot. That's why Wentz will be #1 being the biggest wildcard in the most important position.

Bisonator98
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Some of the guys you listed are players that we have been watching succeed already. I think the list is more of the "under the radar" guys, or players that haven't played a whole lot. That's why Wentz will be #1 being the biggest wildcard in the most important position.

Well we've been watching most all of the players already listed for 2-3 years.

So you think Beck is an under the radar player? Emanual?? Lecompte???

Bison03
07-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Well we've been watching most all of the players already listed for 2-3 years.

So you think Beck is an under the radar player? Emanual?? Lecompte???

OK, good point. I guess there is more then 14 guys that should be on the list. Just proves that we have a lot of returning studs that are underclassman that have played a lot already.

SamsRams
07-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Great point I cant wait to see Beck and Emmanuel finally get some quality playing time. /SlightShadeOfPurple

thebigund
07-23-2014, 08:25 PM
if there are 15 players on the list next year does that mean the team is better or worse?

Tatanka
07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
if there are 15 players on the list next year does that mean the team is better or worse?

:rofl:

Does un_ even have 14 players worthy of listing? Will they have 15 next year?

Check pos rep for use of your school colors.

HerdBoy
07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
#7 - Kyle Emanuel

http://bcove.me/w8v37np9

El_Chapo
07-24-2014, 12:49 AM
:rofl:

Does un_ even have 14 players worthy of listing? Will they have 15 next year?

Check pos rep for use of your school colors.

Maybe 15 jucos?

A1pigskin
07-24-2014, 02:03 AM
I have nightmares of that game against UNI a few years ago where they decided to have a party in our backfield and even set up a bed, a keg and bathroom back there since they lived there. The O can do nothing if the line is not performing. They need to gel well and I will be watching that closely against Iowa State.

I will be watching OL, DL and QB.

oldmantutters
07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
I will be watching OL, DL and QB.

This. In order for me it would be OL, QB, DL. NDSU is a run first team and I think back to Brock's first year and a half, they ran the ball to set up simple passes for him. It didn't get too far away from that even last year, although they stretched the field a little more. The DL will have some new faces but I'm confident in the rest of the defense getting enough reps over the past couple years that even some of the first year starters have quite a few snaps in big spots that they will help the DL.

TNbison
07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
#6 Colton "The Golden Eagle" Heagle

TNbison
07-24-2014, 03:54 PM

I think he makes more plays that really get the crowd fired up than anyone else out there.

EC8CH
07-24-2014, 04:18 PM
I think he makes more plays that really get the crowd fired up than anyone else out there.

Can't wait to watch him light up ISU's star tight end!

El_Chapo
07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Heagle and Wentz and Crockett are the Key for NDSU winning the title this year.

HerdBoy
07-24-2014, 05:15 PM

http://bcove.me/ffb19mk6

FFBison
07-24-2014, 11:58 PM

The key to Crockett, and to a fair degree Wentz, is the OL. Biggest focus coming into this season is the OL.

THEsocalledfan
07-25-2014, 12:37 PM
I think one of the great shames of the second championship year was missing out on Heagle vs Georgia Southern round two. McKinnon was a special player, and I wish I could have seen that match up. Can't wait for McKinnon to tear it up for the Vikes.

thebigund
07-25-2014, 02:56 PM
http://bcove.me/ffb19mk6

I love watching this guy play, he reminds me of Digger Anderson.

El_Chapo
07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
answer guy. shut up. (this has to be your parody account right?) :)

bri-dog
07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
answer guy. shut up. (this has to be your parody account right?) :)

We're allowed to do that? :biggrin:

thebigund
07-25-2014, 05:10 PM
All I have to say is ban this Chapinho lady and get lakes back on bisonville.

56BISON73
07-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Offensive line. Its a huge question mark. If they dont play well either will Crockett or Wentz.

TNbison
07-25-2014, 06:31 PM
#5 Christian Dudzik

GOBISON123
07-25-2014, 06:35 PM

I would add CJ Smith & Tyler Wrice to that list. Wentz needs a go to guy like Ryan Smith Brock tandem.

daHERDfollower
07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
The key to Crockett, and to a fair degree Wentz, is the OL. Biggest focus coming into this season is the OL.

Crockett will need his RB brethren to be ready to back him up because he may not be able to go the whole season uninjured as shown in past seasons...

Bisonator98
07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Crockett will need his RB brethren to be ready to back him up because he may not be able to go the whole season uninjured as shown in past seasons...

Not to worry. Crockett, Morlock, Frazier and Anderson are gonna rock!

daHERDfollower
07-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Not to worry. Crockett, Morlock, Frazier and Anderson are gonna rock!

I agree 100%! :biggrin:

ZHerd
07-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Keys to winning are line play on both sides of the ball and Carson Wentz. Crockett is solid but even a mediocre RB can look good behind a great o-line and vice versa. Our safeties and LB won't be great playmakers if the D-line is not filling gaps and getting pressure. Imo Tanguay, Schatz and some Rams should have been much higher on this list. The game is won in the trenches

MAKBison
07-25-2014, 10:07 PM
I actually like Dudz better on a punt return than Smith.....dont get me wrong I am/was obvious high on Smith. Just goes to show how good I think Dudz is as a punt returner.

#5 Christian Dudzik

westnodak93bison
07-25-2014, 10:23 PM
I actually like Dudz better on a punt return than Smith.....dont get me wrong I am/was obvious high on Smith. Just goes to show how good I think Dudz is as a punt returner.
If he can shore up the ball security like Smith he will be one of the best in FCS.

HerdBoy
07-25-2014, 10:27 PM
#5 Christian Dudzik

http://bcove.me/utntq4yv

TNbison
07-25-2014, 10:29 PM
The only thing that scares me about Dudzik is his ability to catch punts. Smith had unbelievable hands

Bison bison
07-25-2014, 10:32 PM

So in English you're saying, "I think that Christian Dudzik is a better punter returner than Ryan Smith."

HerdBoy
07-25-2014, 10:44 PM
We are lucky to have 2 veteran Seniors like Dudzik and Heagle in the secondary.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5743&path=football

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5726&path=football

:hungry:

56BISON73
07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
The only thing that scares me about Dudzik is his ability to catch punts. Smith had unbelievable hands

Dudzik has better feet, moves and vision. Loved Ryans speed and hands but it didnt take much to trip him up.

MAKBison
07-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, pretty much thats it...what you dont speak Bisonvilleforumeze?????

So in English you're saying, "I think that Christian Dudzik is a better punter returner than Ryan Smith."

Bisonator98
07-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Keys to winning are line play on both sides of the ball and Carson Wentz. Crockett is solid but even a mediocre RB can look good behind a great o-line and vice versa. Our safeties and LB won't be great playmakers if the D-line is not filling gaps and getting pressure. Imo Tanguay, Schatz and some Rams should have been much higher on this list. The game is won in the trenches

Couldn't agree more. The linemen never get enough credit or accolades but their teammates know it.

pucknut9
07-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I just can't imagine being 20-21 years-old and having that kind of pressure on your shoulders and having to follow the most legendary QB in NDSU history. It really is quite a story for follow and sure hope he has a great support structure of fan, family, and coaches that keep him up when the low points come......

Carson has his family support. Being I'm his uncle we are with him every step of the way through the highs and lows. The kid is ready.

BisonNeil
07-27-2014, 03:08 PM

I couldn't agree more. It all starts and stops with the play in the trenches. The DL depth and rotation was the key to the three nattys.

bri-dog
07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Carson has his family support. Being I'm his uncle we are with him every step of the way through the highs and lows. The kid is ready.

Then you know his aunt Twila Wentz (I imagine she's either your wife or a sister-in-law or something) -- she grew up a mile from me, and I graduated with her sister...

pucknut9
07-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Then you know his aunt Twila Wentz (I imagine she's either your wife or a sister-in-law or something) -- she grew up a mile from me, and I graduated with her sister...

Carson is my sisters son.

TNbison
07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
#4 Zach Vraa - What up Vraa? If Wentz is the quarterback we all hope he is, i see Vraa breaking some records.

HerdBoy
07-28-2014, 07:45 PM
#4 Zach Vraa - What up Vraa? If Wentz is the quarterback we all hope he is, i see Vraa breaking some records.

http://bcove.me/z43uz4bs

westnodak93bison
07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
http://bcove.me/z43uz4bs
He is quicker and faster than people give him credit. He ran the 110hurdles in a very similar time as Matt Miller from Boise St.

TNbison
07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
#3 - Carlton Littlejohn

coloradobison
07-29-2014, 05:26 PM
so guesses as to #2 and #1? Crockett and Wentz are mine.

Christopher Moen
07-29-2014, 05:46 PM

Your guesses should be correct. The only dark horse I can think of is Klieman.

THEsocalledfan
07-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Have they had an O-lineman? Maybe Plankers? (too lazy to look back)

If they are true to form, they are going to leave either Crockett or Wentz off the list.....I am convinced they hosed the K St thing just to generate controversy.

thebigund
07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
On one hand I wish UND would have something like this to preview the season. Unfortunately with all the transfers nobody knows who to watch yet and theirs no film of any of them in a UND uniform....

coloradobison
07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Your guesses should be correct. The only dark horse I can think of is Klieman.

Other thought I had was Polasek...

BisonNation11
07-29-2014, 07:59 PM
This is my guess

Bisonator98
07-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Doubt there will be coaches. I'll go with Crockett and Wentz.

Christopher Moen
07-29-2014, 09:33 PM

That would be a good pick.

HerdBoy
07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
#3 - Carlton Littlejohn

http://bcove.me/qpa8gyh3

TNbison
07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
#2 - John Crockett

Bison03
07-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Crockett is poised to have an amazing year. I agree that he needs another back to split the carries. 3 straight years we have had two 1,000 yard rushers. Not a coincidence that was a big part to winning 3 titles. I hope Frazier is the guy, but Morlock is capable as well. If no one shines, I wouldn't be surprised if Crockett got 60-65% of the carries. No more then that. Don't want to wear him down.

Hmm....I wonder who #1 will be.

THEsocalledfan
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Hmm....I wonder who #1 will be.

K St. game?

HerdBoy
07-30-2014, 10:12 PM
#2 - John Crockett

http://bcove.me/etuutioa

Hard
07-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Concerns
Crockett - Definitely is the projected starter…. I really love his power & speed and the ability to change direction with quick short cuts. I also love his intensity. First 10-25 yards is impressive. I’m a little concern about his groin/hip flexor & the ability to stay healthy for the entire season. Over the last two years he has had some type of minor injury. A groin/hip flexor injury is hard to shake if he goes down… Also, concerned about how deep he was in the play book. I only observed Ojuri on the field during the hurry up offense, which leaves me to believe that Ojuri was a little deeper in the play book. I’m guessing to, Crockett will be asked to do a little more on some occasions. (Observed him make a few mistakes in offense that he has been in for several years) Every play is critiqued & graded by your individual coaches. Things like, starting off of the wrong foot. Not hitting the right hole. Not patient enough off your blocks. Hands in wrong position when receiving the ball and hands in the wrong position when blocking. Improper cut blocks. Often blocking assignments and plays are change at the line by the quarterback & you need to make the proper reads….. It goes on & on. On more than one occasion, I observed Coach Bohl chewing him a new one on the sideline. Good programs grade every down played in a game & their players receive print outs of their grades & rating. He’s a gamer…. Love his personality & definitely will rush over 1000 if he stays healthy.

THEsocalledfan
07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
No surprises at #1, it is Wentz.

My favorite quote from Izzo, "We can't expect him to go 35-5."

Thank you Brock Jensen for the memories.

And they seemed to admit to the intentional K St. omission again.....

HerdBoy
07-31-2014, 12:12 PM

http://bcove.me/n9au8p4s

Bison03
07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm excited to see Wentz in action. It's hard to tell how a guy can run the offense in mop up time when the play calling is pretty simple. From all I have heard this kid has all the tools and attributes to be a stud QB. He is smart, athletic, and holy crap can he throw the ball. The o-line will have to step up and give hime time back there. A lot of people saying he needs to just manage the offense and let the defense do their thing. I agree with Kolpack in that you have to run the offense and let Wentz sling it. Will still be a run first affense that controls the clock as well as slowly wear down defenses. But if Wentz can get it going and show he is a threat to throw, our offense will be lethal. It will be a baptism into fire as he begins his journey as a starting QB at Iowa State; but I think he is ready to finally show what he can do.

Bisonator98
07-31-2014, 05:34 PM

Well no shit since at most he'd start 16+15 = 31 games the next 2 seasons. But I am fully expecting a 29-2 record with 2 more natty's! :biggrin:

Hard
07-31-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm excited to see Wentz in action. It's hard to tell how a guy can run the offense in mop up time when the play calling is pretty simple. From all I have heard this kid has all the tools and attributes to be a stud QB. He is smart, athletic, and holy crap can he throw the ball. The o-line will have to step up and give hime time back there. A lot of people saying he needs to just manage the offense and let the defense do their thing. I agree with Kolpack in that you have to run the offense and let Wentz sling it. Will still be a run first affense that controls the clock as well as slowly wear down defenses. But if Wentz can get it going and show he is a threat to throw, our offense will be lethal. It will be a baptism into fire as he begins his journey as a starting QB at Iowa State; but I think he is ready to finally show what he can do.

Bison03, I'm on the same page with you......
Personally, I think Wentz needs to bring his “A” game this fall camp. It should be all about competition. I see us this year running the ball a lot more, due to Wentz will go through his struggles as any new quarterback would. Also, there are questions about the right side of the O-line & there physicality. One thing for sure, only having a downhill runner in the backfield, won’t get us to the FCS Championship.

NDSU: Ojuri & Crocket
Towson: Terrance West
Sam Houston: Flanders
Northern Iowa: David Johnson
Eastern Illinois: Shepard Little

Bisonator98
07-31-2014, 06:32 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they allow Wentz to run as much as Jensen did last year. IMO he needs that freedom to really utilize all his talents and expose the defenses. If he's handcuffed to the pocket it's going to limit him and our offense. Wondering how much confidence the staff has in the backups.

BadlandsBison
07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they allow Wentz to run as much as Jensen did last year. IMO he needs that freedom to really utilize all his talents and expose the defenses. If he's handcuffed to the pocket it's going to limit him and our offense. Wondering how much confidence the staff has in the backups.
Wentz is a huge target for defenders. Don't be afraid to slide!

BisonNation11
07-31-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm predicting a lot of play action roll outs for Wentz. Pistol formation as well.

Hard
07-31-2014, 08:23 PM
I think roll outs in the beginning will help him tremendously in building his confidence…. Once he has developed a rhythm, chemistry with the receivers will progress and the deep balls will be there…. Also, I believe the summer conditioning and fall camp and a little more aggression will get those big boys ready to go come Iowa State....

thebigund
07-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Do you guys consider QB depth to be as sensitive and thin as it was at LB in 2012?

BadlandsBison
07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Do you guys consider QB depth to be as sensitive and thin as it was at LB in 2012?
Sensitive and thin? There is special toothpaste for that

Bison 4 Life
07-31-2014, 08:49 PM

No more than last year with Carson as a sophomore.

Bison03
07-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Sensitive and thin? There is special toothpaste for that

And condoms as well.

HerdBot
08-01-2014, 02:21 AM

No because McGinnis has 2 years in the system and 3 fall camps. He's a classic thrower with so so running ability but he can run if needed.. Davis has 1 year in the system and 2 fall camps. Stick is no where near being ready but I would have at least some faith in him if he was the only option.

Back in 2012 wentz was a redshirt freshman but missed came due to injury and he was the most experienced

Bisonator98
08-01-2014, 02:44 AM

No. In 2012 our backup linebacker was a QB.