PDA

View Full Version : MVS @ NDSU BISON

broke_back_mnt
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Mississippi Valley State @ *NDSU

BISON by 10, heres why

The Delta Devils play in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. *Its a strong conference. *Overall it compares well with the GWFC. *Mississippi Valley State (MVS) would be around 2nd or 3rd in most major GWFC performance measures.

They match up well with the BISON. *Mississippi Valley State is no pushover. *Look for a strong, fast and balanced team with a good rushing defense and effective passing game. *They can win this game, no doubt about it.

The BISON are a little more wide going than the Delta Devils producing a little more scoring and a little more yardage. *They are also a little stingier on defense.

Respect them enough to get their game, I think The BISON get theirs too. *Thats a clear win for NDSU but it might take all afternoon. *

GUYS TO WATCH:

They have a couple of guys, Tyrone Timmons and Clarence Cotton. *Cotton has been the leading receiver but Timmons isnt far behind. *Cotton is the deep threat and you can count on him for 60 yds and 3 or 4 catches. *There are 10 receivers with multiple catches though so there are a lot of targets. Timmons will always be around and look for him on every play.

Johey Hargrett will carry the load from the backfield. *He is averaging just under 100Yds/game. *Beyond this guy there is not a lot of proven talent. *Its probable The BISON will shut this down. *If so give the route factor to NDSU.

Im not sure about the QB situation. *Aries Nelson is the leading numbers guy but Paul Roberts has seen some action too. *Im not sure if there is an injury or if its a situation like GSU.

As far as I know they are healthy and ready to go. It should be a great game yielding the "Pure Result" only found in domed football.

insane_ponderer
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Just a question, now after seeing a couple games and figuring out what our strengths are on defense.

A team like MVS that has a lot of targets and potentially go 5 wide (maybe?), do you think they would be successful against the bison d? Lots of three step drops and short spread passing routes to limit the blitzing and take advantage of our lack of corner depth?

Gamehunter
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I would hardly say that the SWAC is at the same level of the Great West. I'll give the Delta Devils the benefit of the doubt and say they will probably keep this game close like SFA did because the Bison may be looking ahead to Minnesota, but in reality it could get carried away rather quickly. They will be overmatched on both lines of scrimage and their best chance is to air it out and hope Aries Nelson can pick apart our secondary on the fly. On defence they will need lots of help from Tyler Knight. He is on the Buchanan watch list at Linebacker and will need his best game to have a chance at containing Steffes and Blincoe. If the run is shut down this game has a chance of being a close one. Aries Nelson has been having alot of trouble completing passes lately with percentages dropping into the 40's so that will need to improve if they are going to be competative.

bisonaudit
10-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like we should be better than the Devils but they appear to be high risk high reward. Willing to stretch the field which is where we're weakest. This is a dangerous game.

I look for the Bison to put a lot of pressure on their QB.

Bison13
10-09-2006, 09:16 PM
We have proven time and time again that we can control the clock like none other. There offense wont have enough time to beat us. Our offense is clicking and our defense just seems to get better every week. Players are pumped to be home. Bison by 28, 42-14

Bisonguy
10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
If the Delta Devils stay within two scores, I would have to question Bohl's coaching abilities.

SWAC teams may have some athletes, but their coaching is pretty weak. :-X

TransAmBison
10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
If the Delta Devils stay within two scores, I would have to question Bohl's coaching abilities.

SWAC teams may have some athletes, but their coaching is pretty weak. *:-X
If they stay within two scores, I'm going to quit giving to teammakers...just had to say it...a little throwback to about a month or so ago...

No_Skill
10-09-2006, 10:28 PM
If our scrubs aren't in by the end third quarter we have no chance of beating Minnesota.

broke_back_mnt
10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
College sports report has MVS ranked 65 and NDSU at 5.

http://collegesportsreport.com/

No doubt the BISON have the route factor in their favor. *NDSU could put this one away early. *Im not sure how they do here is any kind of an indicator for the Gopher game though. It might be a blow to our confidence, but this is a game we should win.*

No_Skill
10-10-2006, 12:00 AM
College sports report has MVS ranked 65 and NDSU at 5.

http://collegesportsreport.com/

No doubt the BISON have the route factor in their favor. *NDSU could put this one away early. *Im not sure how they do here is any kind of an indicator for the Gopher game though. *It might be a blow to our confidence, but this is a game we should win.*

I would like to see this game put away early, not so much as a boost to confidence, but as a way to keep our starters fresh and healty (we are thin enough already ;)).

On the other hand I hope Wisconsin "takes it to" Minnesota and wears them out!

I am confident in our team, but every little bit helps.

broke_back_mnt
10-10-2006, 03:54 AM
Yea. *I hear that. * 8-)

The Sarigin rating is interesting. It has the SWAC at 24 and the GWFC at 11 out of all DI conferences. The Big 10 on the other hand is number 4. For those of you that are magnifying the BISON advantage over MVS because they are 24 better make a fast adjustment the other way for the Gophers. A real good football team that has trouble winning. The only weakness.

sambini
10-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Bison will get it done. But they need our support so we will see you in the STANDS++++++++++++++++++++++

broke_back_mnt
10-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Just picked up this link, its the BCS computer rankings for all divisions. *NDSU is #3 in DI-AA.
MVS is #63.

http://www.knology.net/~colvert/CF/fullranking-bcsc.html#IAA

Gophers are #53 in DI-A, with about the same point ranking as NDSU.

mn-bison
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Don't know how much stock I would put in that site, the DII leader is higher than the DI-AA leader.

BisonFellow
10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
As the Express looks into his crystal ball, he sees.....

Bison win....48 to 17.

broke_back_mnt
10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
You will find that the rankings are only relative to those teams in your division. *

http://www.knology.net/~jashburn/football/af-objective.html

That link is a better look at the site and how things are done. *No subjective input is one of the main factors.

Good site, lots of info and things to look at.

broke_back_mnt
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Looking at the rankings the question becomes at what level do the higher division teams overlap the lower divisions?

Ball State is 103 in DI-A with a .72450. *Puts them in with the likes of Marshall. *Lots of MAC, WAC and Sun Belt teams in that range with a CUA team or two as well.

Obviously with only one game at that level it hard to tell how the BISON stack up but I think they would beat BSU if they played again, but being 103 in DI-A with a comp rating of .72+++ shows how much stronger that division is. *A comp rating of .72+++ gets you in the top 30 of DI-AA and the top 15 of D2.

Scooter
10-10-2006, 09:34 PM
MVSU VS NDSU PREDICTION:

Offense: *In this game there is one glaring advantage that the Bison hold over MVSU and that is at the QB position. *You have to give the nod to Steve Walker on this one. *He's completing about 20% more of his passes and has only thrown one INT this year. Also homecoming crowds can make it tough on an opposing QB, especially one completing 47% of his passes.*

Another advantage that I see the Bison having is on the offensive line. *These guys have surpassed everyones expectations and don't seem to miss a beat when a guy goes down. *Although MVSU has a descent sized Defensive line, I don't think that they are in as good of shape as the Bison and the Bison offense will roll in the latter part of the game.

Defense: *The Bison clearly have the better defense of the two teams. *The corners for the Bison are starting to show promise and the front seven of the Bison are proving to be one of the country's finest in IAA. *I don't see MVSU scoring more than 14 points in this game, and I think I'm being generous with 14. *There is no way that this team is as good as the team we waxed in Georgia this past weekend.

Quite frankly, I think that the only way that the Bison Offense gets held under 28 points will be if the Defenses for the two teams switch sides... ;)

Prediction: *NDSU 42 MVSU 10

sambini
10-11-2006, 03:44 AM
BISON 52 DELTA DEVILS 14

mebison
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
MVSU VS NDSU PREDICTION:

Offense: *In this game there is one glaring advantage that the Bison hold over MVSU and that is at the QB position. *You have to give the nod to Steve Walker on this one. *He's completing about 20% more of his passes and has only thrown one INT this year. *Also homecoming crowds can make it tough on an opposing QB, especially one completing 47% of his passes.*

Another advantage that I see the Bison having is on the offensive line. *These guys have surpassed everyones expectations and don't seem to miss a beat when a guy goes down. *Although MVSU has a descent sized Defensive line, I don't think that they are in as good of shape as the Bison and the Bison offense will roll in the latter part of the game.

Defense: *The Bison clearly have the better defense of the two teams. *The corners for the Bison are starting to show promise and the front seven of the Bison are proving to be one of the country's finest in IAA. *I don't see MVSU scoring more than 14 points in this game, and I think I'm being generous with 14. *There is no way that this team is as good as the team we waxed in Georgia this past weekend.

Quite frankly, I think that the only way that the Bison Offense gets held under 28 points will be if the Defenses for the two teams switch sides... ;)

Prediction: *NDSU 42 MVSU 10

That would be unfortunate! ;D

BisonWarrior
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
You can bet our defense will put heat on their QB to try to force turnovers. If it works early, the route is on!

NoDakSt
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Aries Nelson = cool name

broke_back_mnt
10-14-2006, 04:44 AM
well its game day, damn near, and Jonny Lang is weaving a tale. *BISON are in. *They wont lose tomorrow. *Im looking at the Delta Devils as a good Augi team. *You have to be careful, they didnt start a football team to come to Fargo to lose big. *

But here they are. *Im sure they are in Fargo. *BISON have to get their game, something they have been able to do all year. *If they can do that it doesn't matter what the Delta Devils do, give them their game, it wont be enough. * 8-)

Rumor only, but I have heard the SWAC is 0-16 in the DI-AA playoffs?

imabison
10-14-2006, 05:07 AM
well its game day, damn near, and Jonny Lang is weaving a tale. BISON are in. They wont lose tomorrow. Im looking at the Delta Devils as a good Augi team. You have to be careful, they didnt start a football team to come to Fargo to lose big.

But here they are. Im sure they are in Fargo. BISON have to get their game, something they have been able to do all year. If they can do that it doesn't matter what the Delta Devils do, give them their game, it wont be enough. 8-)

Rumor only, but I have heard the SWAC is 0-16 in the DI-AA playoffs?

Don Hansen says NDSU 55 MVS 7, lets hope for the wash out..

semobison
10-14-2006, 01:45 PM
NDSU 35, MVS 17, being a little conservative here, If we get on a roll it could get ugly for the Delta Devils.

gwendel
10-14-2006, 01:49 PM
We've complained about the reffing in a couple of Bison games this year,
but MVSU had a late game touchdown nullified by a ref who, as a result of his call on that play has been suspended for the remainder of the year by the SWAC! :o

The SWAC did not identify the official, who ruled a pivotal touchdown catch by MVSU was instead out of bounds with 5:26 left in the game. Had the Delta Devils scored, MVSU would have taken the lead. Instead, MVSU settled for a 34-yard field goal attempt by freshman kicker Zach Gilarski with 4:46 remaining to tie the game. Gilarski missed.

Complete story:

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1160730903249940.xml&coll=1

And another:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/SPORTS02/610130354/1063/SPORTS

Note in the above-article, the Delta Devils expect to be playing the North Dakota State HUSKIES today.

This week, the Delta Devils travel to North Dakota State to face the Huskies in a non-conference game. The Huskies play at the Fargodome, a place renowned for its noise and boisterous crowds.

Go, Husky Bison!

gwendel
10-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Here's an interesting, but meaningless statistic about MVSU:

MVSU is a university of 3000 students in a town with a population of 2000.

To put that in perspective, it's a school a little larger than Dickinson State with its home in a town a little smaller than Bottineau. Talk about being a college town! ::)

sambini
10-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Its game day and lets crank it up++++++++++++++

BisonCardinal
10-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Some of the pre-game articles talk about this is our first game against a SWAC team since the 1965 Grambling game. I look on the SWAC website and see Southern as a member.

Did we not play Southern a couple years ago? I could have sworn I remember Coach Bohl talked about a nice win over a fully funded IAA which would make it seem like 2004 as playing a fully funded IAA is commonplace now.

I go to gobison.com and check the past schedules and I do not see Southern anywhere. Am I losing it or what? :D

broke_back_mnt
10-14-2006, 03:21 PM
SDSU beat Southern. It was a minor upset during the first year of transition if I remember correctly.

BisonCardinal
10-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I guess he could have been talking about Nicholls St., which is a SOUTHERN team and appears to be the first fully funded IAA we played other than Montana.

It's hell to get older. ;)

broke_back_mnt
10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
45-0! *Wow. *Tyler Henry gets 11 tackles, 2 solos. *First start and what a start. *Lots of new names today. *There were a lot of predictions for a blow out and they were right. *NDSU just started rolling and never stopped. *You can bet the Gophers are thinking this is the type of game they are going to have next week. *

Kyle Steffes surpassed Chris Simdorn as the #3 all time rusher in BISON History. *Congratulations Kyle!

Travis White gets a nice punt return for a TD. *Great run. *Who got the INT for a score to blow it open?

NDSU rolled in every phase of the game. *The wish came true for a short day for a lot of the starters. *We showed our depth today. *The BISON are primed. *It all bodes well!!

GO BISON!!!

mercenarybison
10-14-2006, 09:37 PM
The pick 6 was by #29, Nick Schommer.

kchats
10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
The game was blown open on the blocked punt for a touchdown. It was pretty obvious MVSU wasn't going to score. I don't think they even crossed NDSU's 30 yard line the entire game. It was total domination by the defense.

sambini
10-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Nice win Bison+++++++++++