PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Kolstad Assault

PopBison
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Former Bison Linebacker Isaac Kolstad suffered a severe head injury early in the morning on 5/11/14. He is currently in Critical condition. He is young and strong, but the battle he has in front of him is enormous. We do not yet know the full extent of his injuries. He is very sick. He is married to Molly and has a 3 year old girl named Haidyn. Molly is also 8.5 months pregnant with another girl that will be born any day.

Isaac's brother Abraham, is currently a JR. at NDSU majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

Isaac's good friend and former NDSU middle linebacker Preston Evens is sitting next to me as I type this. Preston is a great family friend!

You can help Isaac in a couple of ways.

1. Prayers - Please pray for Isaac and all of those involved.

2. Make a donation to the Kolstad Family via the YouCaring site link below.
http://www.youcaring.com/other/-22strong-for-the-isaac-molly-kolstad-family/177076

There is a CaringBridge site to track Isaac's progress. Please note, any donations made on the CaringBridge site do NOT go to Isaac and Molly.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/isaackolstad

Please help in anyway possible. Right now prayers are needed most, but long term they will have many needs.
Thank You
The Kolstad's

GOBISON123
05-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Okay, Thank you. We will remember him in our prayers. Wish him a speedy recovery.

A1pigskin
05-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Prayers sent to him and to his family.

BisonNeil
05-19-2014, 06:33 PM
This is just so sad. I pray everyday for him.

BN

HerdBoy
06-07-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_25906870/mankato-assault-victim-isaac-kolstad-wife-have-second

A1pigskin
06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_25906870/mankato-assault-victim-isaac-kolstad-wife-have-second

Sounds like he is going to have some on-going health risks.

Bisonville GasMan
06-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Sounds like he is going to have some on-going health risks.

This story is just so sad to read about. I would venture to say that his remaining life will be changed forever. He may never, for example, be able to work and support his family due to his neurologic related injuries. In a sense his "life" was taken away from him...but, he is still alive.

Part of me wishes the courts could punish the two jack asses who did this as severely as if they had commited homicide, because I think the lifelong negative effects that this family will have to endure deserve this degree of recognition from our legal system...but I know that won't happen.

HerdBot
06-08-2014, 10:07 PM
This story is just so sad to read about. I would venture to say that his remaining life will be changed forever. He may never, for example, be able to work and support his family due to his neurologic related injuries. In a sense his "life" was taken away from him...but, he is still alive.

Part of me wishes the courts could punish the two jack asses who did this as severely as if they had commited homicide, because I think the lifelong negative effects that this family will have to endure deserve this degree of recognition from our legal system...but I know that won't happen.

Agreed. Court system sucks. Off topic they would rather lock up people long term for drug use that is a threat to themselves than violent criminals who are a threat to society.

natstar1
06-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Agreed. Court system sucks. Off topic they would rather lock up people long term for drug use that is a threat to themselves than violent criminals who are a threat to society.
Any evidence to back this up?

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 03:12 AM

Who started the altercation?

westnodak93bison
06-09-2014, 03:14 AM

Somebody who shouldn't have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Somebody who shouldn't have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

After ready back I find it strange some are villifying the people who didnt start the altercation.

Bisonville GasMan
06-09-2014, 03:57 AM

Well...if I am interpreting your question right, he does have some responsibility for the altercation...he may, as it seems, shoved or punched first. But, when two men are then against one, and then apparently beat and kick that man, who was a some point rendered defenseless, enough to cause permanent brain damage...

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 04:00 AM
Well...if I am interpreting your question right, he does have some responsibility for the altercation...he may, as it seems, shoved or punched first. But, when two men are then against one, and then apparently beat and kick that man, who was a some point rendered defenseless, enough to cause permanent brain damage...

So what you are saying is he started the altercation? Is it safe to assume that if he wouldnt have stared the altercation we wouldnt be having this conversation?

westnodak93bison
06-09-2014, 04:08 AM
So what you are saying is he started the altercation? Is it safe to assume that if he wouldnt have stared the altercation we wouldnt be having this conversation?

Ah, hind sight. It takes two to fight or in this case three. Bottom line is it shouldn't have escalated to the point we are at.

Bisonville GasMan
06-09-2014, 04:18 AM
So what you are saying is he started the altercation?

From what I have read...not for sure who 'owns' that responsibility. I guess my feeling is that even if someone, for example, throws a punch at me unprovoked...I do not get to literally bash their brains in as retaliation and leave them with a lifetime of disability. According to reports, he was kicked in the head twice while down and apparently unconscious.

El_Chapo
06-09-2014, 04:23 AM

wow just wow.

since you need to be the contrarian, what we've heard from media reports

Philip was at a bar, he and his girlfriend were by the bouncer, and the bouncer took her hand and tried to kiss it. Philip got all pissy pants about it and spouted off at the bouncer, with pushing and shoving. now later on the street at closing philip see's a dude that looks similar to the bouncer and yells and confronts issac (sort of a mistaken identity) and shit goes down and Philips buddy jumps in and knocks Isaac down and then Philip kicks Isaac in the head like a soccer ball while he is down (some of this has been collaborated on star tribune)

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 04:31 AM
wow just wow.

since you need to be the contrarian, what we've heard from media reports

Philip was at a bar, he and his girlfriend were by the bouncer, and the bouncer took her hand and tried to kiss it. Philip got all pissy pants about it and spouted off at the bouncer, with pushing and shoving. now later on the street at closing philip see's a dude that looks similar to the bouncer and yells and confronts issac (sort of a mistaken identity) and shit goes down and Philips buddy jumps in and knocks Isaac down and then Philip kicks Isaac in the head like a soccer ball while he is down (some of this has been collaborated on star tribune)

I think you forgot the part about Isaac punching the guy to start everything off. At least thats what I read. Did you not read that or just forgetting for your own purposes?
Now if I am wrong about this scenario I will of course have a very different view point of this situation.

El_Chapo
06-09-2014, 04:36 AM
I think you forgot the part about Isaac punching the guy to start everything off. At least thats what I read. Did you not read that or just forgetting for your own purposes?
Now if I am wrong about this scenario I will of course have a very different view point of this situation.

ah, he probably didn't like getting accused of kissing Philip's girlfriend is what im guessing. didn't see where Isaac punched him first, I saw where Isaac pushed him first.

The Lost Dutchman
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
ah, he probably didn't like getting accused of kissing Philip's girlfriend is what im guessing. didn't see where Isaac punched him first, I saw where Isaac pushed him first.

You guessing probably doesn't help the point at all... Phillip's BAC and him not remembering kicking Kolstad in the head probably doesn't help his case though. There were lots of wrong doings on both sides. I still have a hard time though trying to defend someone who kicked a defenseless unconscious individual.

Hail bison
06-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Alcohol, testosterone and women is a bad mix. Isn't there a Phillip Nelson thread where we can try him and Shelley? I believe this thread was started for a different purpose. Like how we can help (prayer, donation etc.) Kolstad and his young family. Maybe get updates on his condition. Not trying to sound all righteous but it kind of bothers me

WildBill
06-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Kolstead punched Nelson in the back of the head and knocked him down. That is what touched off the tragic events that followed. And Kolstead and nelson knew each other. No mistaken identity there.

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
You guessing probably doesn't help the point at all... Phillip's BAC and him not remembering kicking Kolstad in the head probably doesn't help his case though. There were lots of wrong doings on both sides. I still have a hard time though trying to defend someone who kicked a defenseless unconscious individual.

That is my other question. How do we know he was defenseless and unconscious as opposed to be just knocked down? Much of this is second-third hand information.
Regardless the end result is tragic.

El_Chapo
06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Alcohol, testosterone and women is a bad mix. Isn't there a Phillip Nelson thread where we can try him and Shelley? I believe this thread was started for a different purpose. Like how we can help (prayer, donation etc.) Kolstad and his young family. Maybe get updates on his condition. Not trying to sound all righteous but it kind of bothers me

Amen. .

The Lost Dutchman
06-10-2014, 07:58 AM

I think the problem with the premise is people are commenting within the topic trying to make it seem like Phillip Nelson is guilty of a crime he has not been convicted of yet. BTW he does have a website which you can follow his condition as well as updates that go with prayer, donation, etc.

Jelo
09-05-2014, 04:39 AM
Haven't really been following or seen much on it after it originally happened - but this certainly looks like he has made much more progress than it appeared one could have hoped for. Great to see.

https://twitter.com/bshawn17/status/507674604337659904

@BShawn17: Just fantastic... "@PCphoto: Impressive scene b4 MSU fb game as Isaac Kolstad leads team to the field. #22strong http://t.co/qs71vccyOY"

Christopher Moen
01-22-2015, 05:58 AM
While reading another story, I saw this report: http://bringmethenews.com/2015/01/21/former-gophers-qb-nelson-pleads-guilty-in-kolstad-assault-avoids-prison-time/

Glad to see Isaac is improving.

A1pigskin
01-23-2015, 12:55 AM
While reading another story, I saw this report: http://bringmethenews.com/2015/01/21/former-gophers-qb-nelson-pleads-guilty-in-kolstad-assault-avoids-prison-time/

Glad to see Isaac is improving.

I heard this on the radio yesterday.

Bisonwinagn
01-23-2015, 02:31 AM
Nelson pleaded down to 5th degree Assault and the felony was dropped. The Dr. said Nelson's kick likely didn't have any impact on the injuries.

Christopher Moen
05-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Isaac gets honored from one of his Mankato teammates on the "Price is Right!"

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/minnesota/2015/05/22/the-price-is-right-with-22-strong/27812781/