PDA

View Full Version : UNI-Dome Video Board Upgrade

NDSUstudent
05-09-2014, 10:24 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/CL/CLLLDPHUBQNOCEE.20140509193244.jpg

The construction process will get underway Mon., May 12, in the UNI-Dome and McLeod Center as new video boards are installed in both facilities.

Animated Display Systems Inc. (Fort Myers, Fla.) was awarded the bid for the construction and installation of both video boards. The cost of the project is estimated to be $1.3 million with the funding coming from the Black Hawk County Gaming Association, Learfield Sports and UNI Athletics.

“The new video boards in the UNI-Dome and McLeod Center are a significant step forward as we continue to enhance the spectator experience in our venues,” UNI Director of Athletics Troy Dannen said. “The boards will also create opportunities to generate additional revenue as we continue to reduce our reliance on general education funds. We are excited to show off the new attributes of the UNI-Dome and McLeod Center this fall.”

The new UNI-Dome video board will be hung above the south endzone and will be 26’6” high by 100’ wide. Pixel density for the UNI-Dome board is 645 pixels per square feet and the total pixel count is 1,677,312.

The board will provide video and serve as a scoreboard for UNI football games. The current scoreboards were installed in the UNI-Dome in 1986. The initial video board in the Dome was installed in 2002 with an upgraded model installed in 2008.

The existing video board in the UNI-Dome will be moved to the north endzone and repurposed as a video/scoreboard.

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=209493265

bigdaddykane
05-09-2014, 10:29 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/CL/CLLLDPHUBQNOCEE.20140509193244.jpg

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=209493265looks cool, i got play in the dome in high school

Tatanka
05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Got to or get to?

I heard the original bid was about 100k higher as it included (unnecessary) funds for the relocation of championship banners.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

BlueBisonRock
05-09-2014, 11:10 PM
looks cool, i got play in the dome in high school

How much Gatorade did you serve up?

MNLonghorn10
05-09-2014, 11:41 PM
its bigger than the garage door at least.

bigdaddykane
05-09-2014, 11:42 PM
How much Gatorade did you serve up?lol i didnt i was a starting DB

tony
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Have they replaced their turf?

Hammersmith
05-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Have they replaced their turf?

Replaced the old turf, or replaced the new turf that replaced the old turf?

Tatanka
05-10-2014, 12:00 AM
lol i didnt i was a starting DB

Starting douchebag? Plausible.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

tony
05-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Replaced the old turf, or replaced the new turf that replaced the old turf?

The latter. I just remembering hearing that there were problems with the turf in the Unidome about the time the FargoDome was looking at a new surface.

NDSUstudent
05-10-2014, 12:14 AM
The latter. I just remembering hearing that there were problems with the turf in the Unidome about the time the FargoDome was looking at a new surface.

I remember hearing that as well.

Hammersmith
05-10-2014, 12:30 AM

Yeah, haven't heard if they've replaced the new stuff. The stuff they got came in rolls. Supposedly the rolls(10yrds wide) were too heavy for the machinery they had or something like that. They cut them in half(5yrds) to make it work. But now they don't stay together like they're supposed to and gaps can develop along the seams.

At least that was the scuttlebutt from a UNI poster a year or so back. So happy we took our time and waited for the right turf to hit the market.

56BISON73
05-10-2014, 02:18 AM
lol i didnt i was a starting DB

:rofl::rofl:

bigdaddykane
05-10-2014, 02:53 AM
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl: my team won state, is there even high school football in north dakota

56BISON73
05-10-2014, 03:07 AM
:rofl::rofl: my team won state, is there even high school football in north dakota

So you are talking HS football? Ahh yeah. Sure.

HerdBot
05-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Everyone is doing upgrades to catch us. Competition makes everyone better. The dome could use a technology upgrade

Hammersmith
05-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Everyone is doing upgrades to catch us. Competition makes everyone better. The dome could use a technology upgrade

Don't disagree. Wonder if it will be part of the convention center upgrade if it happens or part of a replacement upgrade if it doesn't.

taper
05-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Maybe they should have put in a bid for our new turf that had to be ripped out. Of course with their budget problems they wouldn't have the money to change the logos for a few years.

HerdBot
05-10-2014, 10:51 PM

No high school football here. We go to Indian villages on horseback and barter with the natives for a scholarship. Brent Vigen once brought a goat on a home visit but compliance said no.

Bison03
05-13-2014, 03:12 PM

I agree. The 4 video boards are awesome. I can't remember how old they are, maybe 10 years? The quality of video boards available now is way better in technology with the ability to have HD. Since there is a 0% chance of seating being added in the corners, might as well get bigger better video boards. The FD would greatly benefit from these not just for football. Did they pay for the entire cost of the ones now? Or did NDSU kick thema a few bucks. Other then that, I think the dome has been upgraded pretty well. Remodling the concourse a few years ago, upgrading sound and lighting, and upgrading the turf. NDSU and the FD have done pretty well to make the facility top notch.

aces1180
05-13-2014, 03:19 PM
I agree. The 4 video boards are awesome. I can't remember how old they are, maybe 10 years? The quality of video boards available now is way better in technology with the ability to have HD. Since there is a 0% chance of seating being added in the corners, might as well get bigger better video boards. The FD would greatly benefit from these not just for football. Did they pay for the entire cost of the ones now? Or did NDSU kick thema a few bucks. Other then that, I think the dome has been upgraded pretty well. Remodling the concourse a few years ago, upgrading sound and lighting, and upgrading the turf. NDSU and the FD have done pretty well to make the facility top notch.

I would rather have them use the current corner video boards as the new stats boards while upgrading the two scoreboards in each end to full-HD video screens. They could then remove the four small stat boards located on the sidelines.

Granted, that would probably cost something like $10 million or so (I'm just guessing), but it would be awesome and I assume they could sell some primo ads on those things.

They also need to upgrade the TVs in the concourse as well.

BisonNation11
05-13-2014, 03:24 PM
I would rather have them use the current corner video boards as the new stats boards while upgrading the two scoreboards in each end to full-HD video screens. They could then remove the four small stat boards located on the sidelines.

Granted, that would probably cost something like $10 million or so (I'm just guessing), but it would be awesome and I assume they could sell some primo ads on those things.

^^^^^All of this x1,000,000^^^^^

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Agreed. SDSU is going to be pimping out the video boards with their new stadium; we need to keep up with the Jones's......*

*SDSU scares me in the long term. They really seem to be committed to competing with NDSU, and if they ever successfully motivate the Sioux Falls market, watch out.....

HerdBot
05-13-2014, 04:00 PM

On the surface that sounds like a good idea but it helps with the line of sight. I love those boards. Totally unique to have 4 corner replays. They probably generate a lot of revenue too. Maybe occasionally flash stats on them?

BisonNation11
05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
On the surface that sounds like a good idea but it helps with the line of sight. I love those boards. Totally unique to have 4 corner replays. They probably generate a lot of revenue too. Maybe occasionally flash stats on them?

Sight lines? You can't see crap on those. Yeah, if they were each doubled in size and HD I'd be able to see in the opposite corner that I should look at, but trying to look at the one nearest myself so I can "clearly" see the replay is like performing a contortionist act and deciding whether A or B looks better at the eye doctor. They would be perfect for stats and advertisements. You could run stats on two opposite corners and advertisements on the other two. Or four with stats with ads running at certain times. Even with full HD scoreboards in the end zones, you could run a program that could put ads on the sides of the screen and video/replays in the middle. 6 fully functional video boards would be unique.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Solution: Jerry World style video boards over the field. Problem solved.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/a9/da901192-02ed-569f-b2c9-03842851677f/52c2b51723444.preview-620.jpg

aces1180
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Sight lines? You can't see crap on those. Yeah, if they were each doubled in size and HD I'd be able to see in the opposite corner that I should look at, but trying to look at the one nearest myself so I can "clearly" see the replay is like performing a contortionist act and deciding whether A or B looks better at the eye doctor. They would be perfect for stats and advertisements. You could run stats on two opposite corners and advertisements on the other two. Or four with stats with ads running at certain times. Even with full HD scoreboards in the end zones, you could run a program that could put ads on the sides of the screen and video/replays in the middle. 6 fully functional video boards would be unique.

This is the correct answer.

aces1180
05-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Solution: Jerry World style video boards over the field. Problem solved.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/a9/da901192-02ed-569f-b2c9-03842851677f/52c2b51723444.preview-620.jpg

When I took a tour this January, I couldn't believe how big that thing was...60 yards long and 7-stories high...It even has an elevator! Hell, the whole stadium is massive.

cbline
05-13-2014, 05:38 PM

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=209493265

The scoreboard looks like uni football: the board lists the Panthers as having the ball, but the Panther on the screen is making the tackle. Looks like they gave up another crucial turnover in the 4th quarter.

aces1180
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
The scoreboard looks like uni football: the board lists the Panthers as having the ball, but the Panther on the screen is making the tackle. Looks like they gave up another crucial turnover in the 4th quarter.

Looks like it was a photo from their spring game to me...

HerdBot
05-13-2014, 06:02 PM

I guess it depends where you sit. I'm up high and it helps a lot.
Now as far as the resolution goes... that's a different story
I think it would be neat to put the old boards outside of the dome. Sounds weird but it would be badass having 2 on each side. Now if they can be used outdoors...

aces1180
05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
I guess it depends where you sit. I'm up high and it helps a lot.
Now as far as the resolution goes... that's a different story
I think it would be neat to put the old boards outside of the dome. Sounds weird but it would be badass having 2 on each side. Now if they can be used outdoors...

That is a pretty cool idea...They have outdoor video at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/American_Airlines_Center_02.jpg

StL Bison Fan
05-13-2014, 07:01 PM
They can put up new boards but are they gonna use them? Got to have someone to run them and it ain't the guy that has been doing it. They are still just dressing up a pig.

HerdBot
05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
That is a pretty cool idea...They have outdoor video at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/American_Airlines_Center_02.jpg

I've never seen that before. Pretty kick ass. They could use the boards to communicate with fans, air the pregame show, play highlights, pump up videos, heck even have other games on or ESPN GameDay. Bet they could sell a ton of advertising with the huge tailgating crowds. Would add to the atmosphere and look big time

aces1180
05-14-2014, 02:55 PM
I've never seen that before. Pretty kick ass. They could use the boards to communicate with fans, air the pregame show, play highlights, pump up videos, heck even have other games on or ESPN GameDay. Bet they could sell a ton of advertising with the huge tailgating crowds. Would add to the atmosphere and look big time

In Dallas, they were showing the game that was being played inside at the time...We left the Stars game early because we had to meet the others in group who's flights were delayed in Fargo that day. That would be awesome if they could show the Bison games to the tailgaters (would never be allowed, but theory is cool!).

Christopher Moen
05-16-2014, 07:16 AM

They're replacing the fairly new turf. We (USA Wrestling) were there a little more than a month ago and I was speaking with one of their facility people about the changes they had made since the previous time I was there (2009). When mentioning the turf being newer, he said it was it was in the process of being replaced as it had "issues." I wasn't really sure what he was referring to until I got on the floor got a closer look. In regards to health, it reminded me a lot of the field from this year's National Championship Game in Frisco, only the field was artificial. All over the surface of the field, there were gaps and seams filled with patches of mismatching artificial turf.

The facility guy didn't mention (or maybe I didn't pay attention) anything about a new scoreboard when talking about the new upgrades being done to the UNI-Dome and the McLeod Center. The only video board was the one on the SE "Corner," which we had control over. I was seriously tempted to play the Bison Football Intro on it when Farley was walking around on the North end, but my coworker advised me not to as it probably would have led to the second time our company being exiled from UNI (the first time eventually got the Junior/Cadet Nationals to being held in the FargoDome).

Bison03
05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Other schools cas raise new scoreboards to the rafters, NDSU will just raise more championship banners.

Hammersmith
05-16-2014, 11:06 PM
They're replacing the fairly new turf. We (USA Wrestling) were there a little more than a month ago and I was speaking with one of their facility people about the changes they had made since the previous time I was there (2009). When mentioning the turf being newer, he said it was it was in the process of being replaced as it had "issues." I wasn't really sure what he was referring to until I got on the floor got a closer look. In regards to health, it reminded me a lot of the field from this year's National Championship Game in Frisco, only the field was artificial. All over the surface of the field, there were gaps and seams filled with patches of mismatching artificial turf.

The facility guy didn't mention (or maybe I didn't pay attention) anything about a new scoreboard when talking about the new upgrades being done to the UNI-Dome and the McLeod Center. The only video board was the one on the SE "Corner," which we had control over. I was seriously tempted to play the Bison Football Intro on it when Farley was walking around on the North end, but my coworker advised me not to as it probably would have led to the second time our company being exiled from UNI (the first time eventually got the Junior/Cadet Nationals to being held in the FargoDome).

Wow. That was only three or four years for that turf. I think they got it only one year before our new turf(the first one).

HerdBot
05-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Wow. That was only three or four years for that turf. I think they got it only one year before our new turf(the first one).

There are obviously some major issues with turf in dome s.

Ndsu - replaces turf after 1 game. Still seem to have issues with the yard lines looking crooked
Und - turf defective replaced after 1 year
Uni- bad turf

Odds of usd having a replacement are looking good. Hope you bought the extended warranty yotes

Hammersmith
05-18-2014, 06:30 AM
There are obviously some major issues with turf in dome s.

Ndsu - replaces turf after 1 game. Still seem to have issues with the yard lines looking crooked
Und - turf defective replaced after 1 year
Uni- bad turf

Odds of usd having a replacement are looking good. Hope you bought the extended warranty yotes

At least NDSU's & UND's turfs were replaced at no cost. Pretty sure UNI is on the hook for their replacement.

bisonmike2
05-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Nice video board. I wish the FFD's would get upgraded. I bet all those conference championship years look pretty impressive on their new video board.

bigdaddykane
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
I played in the uni-dome on friday the video board looks nice, the field sucks tho.

Bisonguy
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
I played in the uni-dome on friday the video board looks nice, the field sucks tho.

Are the seams the issue, or something else?

TbonZach
09-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Are the seams the issue, or something else?

That and it's really slippery. Or at least it was when the GSMB was on it a few years ago.

A1pigskin
09-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Upgrading to HD boards in the FD would be nice.

bigdaddykane
09-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Are the seams the issue, or something else? yes and the turf is kind of splitting apart in some parts of the field. The turf is also slippery.