PDA

View Full Version : Late season runs add depth!

popefro
04-27-2014, 06:59 PM
After listening to one of coach Klieman's interviews concerning the new faces working for a starting job or even a little playing time, he mentioned how huge it was to have guys on the scout teams practicing until January 4. I can't help but think of what a huge advantage that is getting extra reps to these guys while other team's seasons end early and have maybe 20 some less practices.

HerdBot
04-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Consider this. Since 2010 we have played 15 extra games which amounts to 1 1/2 extra seasons

BFKasper14
04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Consider this. Since 2010 we have played 15 extra games which amounts to 1 1/2 extra seasons

Or one whole season for us.

BisonNeil
04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
After listening to one of coach Klieman's interviews concerning the new faces working for a starting job or even a little playing time, he mentioned how huge it was to have guys on the scout teams practicing until January 4. I can't help but think of what a huge advantage that is getting extra reps to these guys while other team's seasons end early and have maybe 20 some less practices.

Kolpack did an article during the playoffs of the second natty where he interviewed Kramer, the strength coach. In that article Kolpack asked Kramer if the long playoff season hurt the winter conditioning of the football team. Kramer said it was just the opposite. He said that instead of having players a couple times a week during winter work outs, the extra practices and extra strength conditioning during the playoffs allowed players like Haeg and Schaetz to develop into starters or quality back ups. So, yeah, it's an advantage in player development.

The question is whether or not the playoffs help or hurt recruiting. I can't help but think of Appy State. They won three championships in a row from 2005-2007. From 2008 through the 2012 season they made the playoffs but only made the semi-finals once, in 2009, losing in the second round or quarterfinals every other year. A good team, but not great. Why? Maybe the talent just wasn't there because of the diffculty in recruiting?

stevdock
04-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Kolpack did an article during the playoffs of the second natty where he interviewed Kramer, the strength coach. In that article Kolpack asked Kramer if the long playoff season hurt the winter conditioning of the football team. Kramer said it was just the opposite. He said that instead of having players a couple times a week during winter work outs, the extra practices and extra strength conditioning during the playoffs allowed players like Haeg and Schaetz to develop into starters or quality back ups. So, yeah, it's an advantage in player development.

The question is whether or not the playoffs help or hurt recruiting. I can't help but think of Appy State. They won three championships in a row from 2005-2007. From 2008 through the 2012 season they made the playoffs but only made the semi-finals once, in 2009, losing in the second round or quarterfinals every other year. A good team, but not great. Why? Maybe the talent just wasn't there because of the diffculty in recruiting?

Appy St won mainly because of Armanti Edwards. During the 07 season he got hurt and was out for 4 games. They split those 4, but after he came back they went on quite a tear offensively, averaging over 40 ppg the rest of the way. Their defense was not all that great, giving up upper 20's ppg. When he graduated, App St was still the cream of the SoCon with Georgia Southern but they came way back to the pack after he left and are still trying to replace him.

Professor Chaos
04-28-2014, 02:25 PM

Regarding the fall of App State, based on what I've heard from their fans bellyaching on AGS during those years is that they stopped recruiting depth on their O-line and the rest of the offense sputtered because of it. They also lost their QB coach and OC, Scott Satterfield, after the 2008 season. Of course he did return as their head coach last year and they had their first losing season in 20 some years so read into that what you will.

Bison03
04-28-2014, 03:19 PM
The experience from extra practices the past 4 years has to have an effect on the quality of the team. While other teams underclassman are doing nothing in december, ours are practicing 3/4 times a week going up against some of the best players in the country. You have got to think that all that extra time had made these guys more prepared then any other team in the country. These guys are ready top prove themselves. It's not often that a 3 time defending championship team plays with a chip on their shoulder; but I think these guys want to prove that they can be a great team too despite how many are gone from last year.

BisoninNWMN
04-29-2014, 01:00 AM
The experience from extra practices the past 4 years has to have an effect on the quality of the team. While other teams underclassman are doing nothing in december, ours are practicing 3/4 times a week going up against some of the best players in the country. You have got to think that all that extra time had made these guys more prepared then any other team in the country. These guys are ready top prove themselves. It's not often that a 3 time defending championship team plays with a chip on their shoulder; but I think these guys want to prove that they can be a great team too despite how many are gone from last year.

This here!

I think most will write off the Bison this year because of the losses but a very good core returns on offense and defense.

IMO, the defense is going to carry the team. The running game will be there also. If/when Carson gets into a comfortable groove, the Bison offense will be very good in '14.

UNI is the frontrunner in the Valley this year but the Bison are going to be tough as nails also.

I plan of going to Frisco....again!!!

HerdBot
04-29-2014, 06:51 AM

In my opinion you can miss on some recruits if you develop the walk on guys. The only way that happens is through practice and training. Really the 2011 class turned into an attrition nightmare but 2012-2014 look good so far. at the end of the day even though we had the weak 2011 class, it opened up some good opportunities for guys like Schaetz, Luecke, Lang, Haeg, etc. Heck some of the walk on players are better than the alleged top signings when we show patience. Heck I'm looking at a guy like DeJong and in 1 off season I wouldn't be surprised if he could start. I think the last 2 classes seem to be be as talented as any. Guys with prototypical size and/or a ton of offers

daHERDfollower
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
In my opinion you can miss on some recruits if you develop the walk on guys. The only way that happens is through practice and training. Really the 2011 class turned into an attrition nightmare but 2012-2014 look good so far. at the end of the day even though we had the weak 2011 class, it opened up some good opportunities for guys like Schaetz, Luecke, Lang, Haeg, etc. Heck some of the walk on players are better than the alleged top signings when we show patience. Heck I'm looking at a guy like DeJong and in 1 off season I wouldn't be surprised if he could start. I think the last 2 classes seem to be be as talented as any. Guys with prototypical size and/or a ton of offers

Great points....most walkons come in with a drive and a mission - to break into the depth chart and will work their asses off to achieve that goal...unfortunately some recruits feel they are entitled and won't work as hard.

HerdBot
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Great points....most walkons come in with a drive and a mission - to break into the depth chart and will work their asses off to achieve that goal...unfortunately some recruits feel they are entitled and won't work as hard.

Yep. The top guys may be a bit more polished and can play sooner but the walkons have just as high of potential. Some of these guys are really talented. One thing I really like is the way we develop players. Look at a guy like Landon Lechler. Played 9 man in a really small North Dakota town of like a hundred people. He was 6-7, super skinny with very few offers, but played basketball and was clearly very athletic. Now he's 6-7 300 and agile. It's the only way we're going to get a 6-7 lineman who can move with long term NFL potenital since guys like that go to the big dogs and Billy Turner talent doesn't grow on trees. Same with Joe Haeg. 6-6 and skinny out of high school. Now he's 6-6 300. That 6-7 guy who wants to play at NDSU will probably have as much or more upside than the 3 star recruit with a dozen offers who is shorter and doesn't work as hard. You take raw talent, great coaching, and work ethic and 60% of the time, it works every time!

CAS4127
04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
The downside for the younger, less physically and fundamentally developed kids (Fr., RFr., Sophs, etc.) is that there just are not a lot of fundamentals being worked on later in the season and practice and film time cuts away from workouts/strength training. So, for me, its a wash, if not a negative for the younger players.

ZHerd
04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Funny how quickly depth situations change. A couple years ago our linebacker depth was perilous, now it's one of the team strengths. It will be interesting seeing how the rotation/positioning works our. I will trust whatever the coaches decide but I wouldn't mind seeing Deluca start in the middle right from the get go. He is big, talented, and impressive from the little i have seen so why not have him out there for 3 years; especially considering we graduate 3 guys and need someone there next year with quality starting experience

aces1180
04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Funny how quickly depth situations change. A couple years ago our linebacker depth was perilous, now it's one of the team strengths. It will be interesting seeing how the rotation/positioning works our. I will trust whatever the coaches decide but I wouldn't mind seeing Deluca start in the middle right from the get go. He is big, talented, and impressive from the little i have seen so why not have him out there for 3 years; especially considering we graduate 3 guys and need someone there next year with quality starting experience

Remember when DJ played LB? That was crazy!

344Johnson
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
The downside for the younger, less physically and fundamentally developed kids (Fr., RFr., Sophs, etc.) is that there just are not a lot of fundamentals being worked on later in the season and practice and film time cuts away from workouts/strength training. So, for me, its a wash, if not a negative for the younger players.

PSH... What would you know about it old man? Shouldn't you be rehabbing from some joint replacement or looking at retirement homes?

;)

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Remember when DJ played LB? That was crazy!

still pissed it wasn't Vandal.

A1pigskin
04-30-2014, 01:03 AM

Which can lead to attrition.