PDA

View Full Version : Maren Walseth is NDSU's Next Head WBB Coach

NDSUstudent
04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nahHse5jwXo

North Dakota State is going to hire Maren Walseth as its next head women's basketball coach. Could happen today yet.

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/455752916377559042

onbison09
04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Nice. Hopefully things get going

tony
04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

Tatanka
04-14-2014, 05:25 PM
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/maren_walseth_296044.html

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

Bison03
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Best of luck to Coach Walseth. She has a big task in front of her as she spearheads the reestablishment of what was once a great dynasty of women's basketball. It's hard to think that when going DI, most people though women's basketball would be one of the sports that could see instant and constant success, yet it has been the one that has struggled the most. To think that the women's teams at SDSU, USD, and UND have all made the tournament and NDSU has not just sucks. I hope the new hire sparks some new excitement for this team.

1998braves64
04-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Congrats and welcome!

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

KSBisonFan
04-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Herd!
On a selfish note, I'm looking forward to the 'We're going in the wrong direction' thread to be closed and never reappear. Also, it will be nice not to see future threads in the women's basketball forum to be composed of nothing but facepalms. Finally, with increased attendance and undefeated seasons, women's basketball can finally help subsidize the volleyball program which has been 'loosing' money for all these years. #lastpartdarkpurple

Bison bison
04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm very excited.

Hopefully it's not too late to get my oldest interested in basketball (it probably is, but at least there's a chance).

NDSUstudent
04-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Press Conference will be Thursday at 3 p.m.

imabison
04-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Bison expected to name Walseth next head women's basketball coach
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/432117/

If twitter is not good enuf :)

Bison"FANatic"
04-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Very good hopefully she can get us moving in the right direction. Welcome to NDSU and please bring us back to the success and level we all hope for.

DORMIE
04-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Great news. I think you can say that potentially, NDSU has hired 3 excellent young coaches recently. Really looking forward to following Coach Walseth as she moves forward. She seems to have all the tools for success. Looks like there will be no BS under her watch. Hopefully she gets a couple of good players to fill out the roster. Hav'nt seen a game in a couple of years, but I will be buying a season ticket this year.

NDSUstudent
04-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Maren Walseth's deal at #NDSU is for five years, $150,000 dollars a year

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/455788164506845185

Bison bison
04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Wow. That's some serious bucks.

MAKBison
04-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Anyone know what the last Coach made?

JSUBison
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Hopefully it will be offset by increased ticket sales as she gets the ship turned around.

coloradobison
04-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Anyone know what the last Coach made?

$113k according to this...

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Loud and Proud Bison fan
04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Welcome to NDSU Coach Walseth! I wish you nothing but sucess. I got faith in you. With your new Contract..in the off-season you will be able to "If I weren't coaching, I would be a ski bum in Colorado." - Quote from http://ladylions.com/team/maren-walseth

marenlee
04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Congrats coach Maren! Looking forward to her righting the ship and keeping my name in good grace :D Does she pronounce her name Mar-in or Mare-in??? And yes, I have a girls name :(

MAKBison
04-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Sweet I like how GT is increasing the salaries---a key in our success,

$113k according to this...

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

BisonTeacher
04-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Congrats and good luck!

HoopsBison
04-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Looking forward to a new era of womens bball at NDSU!

Good Luck coach!

Bisonator98
04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

Seriously $150k/yr??? Seems a little steep for a first time HC!

dewey
04-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Good luck coach Walseth!

Dewey

Bisonator98
04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/4/14/WBB_0414144809.aspx

MAKBison
04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
I am a proven Winner.....I hope so! Good luck Coach!

roadwarrior
04-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Should be a fun cozy atmosphere in the BBF next season!

phxbison
04-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Congratulations coach Walseth ! I've got a gut feeling that she is not only turn things around, but take us to new heigths !

North Side
04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Should be a fun cozy atmosphere in the BBF next season!

I actually kinda like the BFF. It is fitting for current women's basketball attendance and will create some atmosphere rather than openness.

Hammersmith
04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Not that it matters, but I wonder where the BSA court is going to go? Are they going to use it at the BBF or the Scheel's? (or neither)

BisonTeacher
04-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Not that it matters, but I wonder where the BSA court is going to go? Are they going to use it at the BBF or the Scheel's? (or neither)

Is the one that is there now still the old MPLS lake floor, or is that one long gone?

BTW...gully never believed me about that one. :biggrin:

roadwarrior
04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Is the one that is there now still the old MPLS lake floor, or is that one long gone?

BTW...gully never believed me about that one. :biggrin:

The old Laker floor was still being used in the BSA for a practice floor this year. The competition floor is MUCH newer!

BisonTeacher
04-14-2014, 11:55 PM
The old Laker floor has been used in the BSA for a practice floor. The competition floor is MUCH newer!

Thanks road. I thought I remembered reading that here (when I was proving gully wrong). Im pretty sure the laker floor was being used in the early 90s as a competition floor correct?

HerdBot
04-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Its early but my initial gut feeling is this is a perfect hire!

imabison
04-15-2014, 01:18 AM

I really like the similarity between this clip and the Dave Richman clip.

roadwarrior
04-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Im pretty sure the laker floor was being used in the early 90s as a competition floor correct?

That floor was used as the main floor for many years!

It was originally purchased by the City of Fargo in an auction in Minneapolis (just before the old Minneapolis Auditorium was demolished). They intended it to go into the Civic, but found out it was too big and sold it to NDSU. The famous red chairs in the Civic and the Fargodome were purchased at the same auction.

BisonTeacher
04-15-2014, 02:25 AM

It was originally purchased by the City of Fargo in an auction in Minneapolis (just before the old Minneapolis Auditorium was demolished). They intended it to go into the Civic, but found out it was too big and sold it to NDSU. The famous red chairs in the Civic and the Fargodome were purchased at the same auction.

Thanks road!

Hear that Gully??????

El_Chapo
04-15-2014, 03:05 AM
Marens sister annika played for ndsu and is married to Thomas Campbell who played football in 2006 for ndsu from Mississippi. They know bison pride welcome

Tony Almeida
04-15-2014, 03:41 AM
I actually kinda like the BFF. It is fitting for current women's basketball attendance and will create some atmosphere rather than openness.

Like a high school gymnasium?

BYZEN
04-15-2014, 04:05 AM
I'm hoping that we have the place PACKED before the end of the season. All rowdy and excited, rocking the rafters.

GOBISON123
04-15-2014, 04:44 AM
Welcome Coach, but hope she knows, "It dosent take long to go from penthouse to outhouse......Coach Bohl"

westnodak93bison
04-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Marens sister annika played for ndsu and is married to Thomas Campbell who played football in 2006 for ndsu from Mississippi. They know bison pride welcome

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see there is a connection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
When did they start using the Laker floor? It have been in the mid 90s as I still remember the old tartan floor with the reddish-orange lanes.

https://flic.kr/p/buwjLi

steelbison
04-15-2014, 05:58 PM
When did they start using the Laker floor? It have been in the mid 90s as I still remember the old tartan floor with the reddish-orange lanes.

https://flic.kr/p/buwjLi

No..was earlier than that...89-90 would be my guess.

roadwarrior
04-15-2014, 06:13 PM

The Minneapolis Auditorium was demolished in 1989 according to Wikipedia, so that is probably the year the floor was first used in the BSA.

EagleBison
04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
The Minneapolis Auditorium was demolished in 1989 according to Wikipedia, so that is probably the year the floor was first used in the BSA.

Sure beat the heck out of the Tartan Surface.

Congrats to another Walseth coming to Fargo! Also a great NDSU connection via Erin Ditty, former teammate of Walseth's AAU team.

House of Bouge
04-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Congrats Coach! GO BISON!!!

SamsRams
04-15-2014, 10:45 PM

This is great info and I appreciate you posting this. Was wondering who the 2 were when she mentioned it in interview

westnodak93bison
04-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Impressive interview. What I like is she knows you must win at NDSU. Just win and do it right!

Bison Bridge Guy
04-16-2014, 02:18 AM
I know very little about Dehoff's coaching staff. Are any of them likely candidates to stay on staff? Has coach Walseth indicated what she would be doing for assistants?

SlickVic
04-16-2014, 05:15 AM
What I admire most is the emphisees on student athlete...win loose or draw that is or needs to be the standard

Gully
04-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks road!

Hear that Gully??????

Hey, I admitted I was wrong about that a long time ago. It's not that the possibility wasn't believable......what I couldn't believe is that I had not heard about it. For example, I knew (and I think most do) the red seats came from the civic and that some of the Dacotah Field stands came from Fenway Park.

BisoninNWMN
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Good luck to our new coach.....she has a lot of work to do to get this program back on track.

scbison91
04-17-2014, 01:35 PM
No..was earlier than that...89-90 would be my guess. I was a sophmore Fall of 88 when I was in weight lifting class BSA and they had jsut laid down wood floor in BSA and started resurfacing it...

Bisonator98
04-18-2014, 12:55 AM
So have any assistants been named yet? Any ideas even?

roadwarrior
04-18-2014, 01:23 AM
She said today that no decisions have been made on assistants.

NDSUstudent
04-18-2014, 03:40 AM
Presser Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkmj5jxJds

bruinbison
04-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Here is a potential assistant coach, who has become available
according to this article - Kelly Roysland, Fosston native and North Tartan AAU alum;
who spent 2 years as a Bison assistant before
moving on to her alma mater (Minnesota) as an assistant under Pam Borton.

Gophers assistant and former player Kelly Roysland will not be remaining as a member of new women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings' staff, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25590583/gophers-womens-basketball-kelly-roysland-wont-remain-assistant

Bisonator98
04-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Here is a potential assistant coach, who has become available
according to this article - Kelly Roysland, Fosston native and North Tartan AAU alum;
who spent 2 years as a Bison assistant before
moving on to her alma mater (Minnesota) as an assistant under Pam Borton.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25590583/gophers-womens-basketball-kelly-roysland-wont-remain-assistant

This would be a good hire!

The Lost Dutchman
04-21-2014, 03:03 AM
I think the new coach is a great hire and a breath of fresh air but I felt it seemed like her vibes towards Dorn were very weird and awkward. Something just didn't feel/seem right with that. You almost get the impression like this was a Gene Taylor hire versus a Dorn hire.

1998braves64
04-21-2014, 03:22 AM
I think the new coach is a great hire and a breath of fresh air but I felt it seemed like her vibes towards Dorn were very weird and awkward. Something just didn't feel/seem right with that. You almost get the impression like this was a Gene Taylor hire versus a Dorn hire.

And there is a problem with that? Way the last handful of hires coach related matters that Dorn did have ended in disaster.

gotts
04-21-2014, 04:34 AM

All the more reason to look forward to next season, IMO.

The Lost Dutchman
04-21-2014, 05:10 AM
And there is a problem with that? Way the last handful of hires coach related matters that Dorn did have ended in disaster.

I think it's a great thing, I've never been a fan with Dorn after her handling of the Hinterstocker situation. I just found it very weird and awkward that there were vibes that were present at the initial press conference. Again, you almost got the feeling that he would be dealing with Gene versus Dorn. You have to think that it was Gene's connections that were used to establish a relationship to begin with to even court her to NDSU.

BYZEN
04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I felt that Dorn has become the press agent only for the ad dept.
It was my understanding GT made the find and negotiations with Dorn "learning".

Bisonator98
04-21-2014, 06:46 PM
The less Dorn has to do with anything the better!

BisonCardinal
04-22-2014, 02:38 PM

I thought the opposite. It seemed Dorn was giddy about this hire. Dorn seemed truly happy, maybe she was thinking she actually did good this time. Yes, Walseth seemed nervous, but I figured that was due to it being her first "big" press conference.

I guess to each his own.

MichiganLion
04-23-2014, 02:00 AM
Regarding the hire by NDSU of coach Maren Walseth:

As a Lady Lion fan my understanding is that she primarily coached the post players at Penn State and also helped with recruiting. I know a lot of Lady Lion fans have not been happy with what they perceive as the lack of development of post players such as 6-6 junior Tori Waldner who averaged just 4.8 points this past season as a starter. Also, same for 6-6 sophomore Candace Agee who was a McDonald's All-American coming out of high school, but who has struggled in her first two years at Penn State and only averaged 2 ppg this season.

Another concern is the feeling that she is not that good of a recruiter. The Lady Lions 'struck out' for the 2014 recruiting class as they got zero recruits, even though they tried mightily. They were somewhat close to getting Kia Nurse from Canada a 5 star but Nurse decided on UConn instead. So the Lady Lions have NO 2014 class. For next season, Tori Waldner is their only senior and so for two different classes they have exactly ONE recruit...this was NOT by design. Maren Walseth was already on staff for a year before Coquese Washington was named as head coach back in 2007 and so she was not chosen by Washington to be on her staff. My gut feeling is that Coquese wanted Maren to leave and that she most likely encouraged her to look for a head coaching position at another school. I know that Co has said how NDSU is "getting a gem" and so forth; but really she has to say stuff like that to the press.

While coach Walseth's resume may look impressive to some Bison fans anyhow, she obviously has no prior head coaching experience at any level. I watched her introductory press conference the other day and she came across to me as someone that is unsure of herself and in over her head. Her remarks about how they don't make instruction manuals on how to do this (press conference) and "I've never done this before" made her look really unprepared IMHO. I felt that she did a really bad press conference. Also, she kind of did a Freudian slip when she said (twice) on how she would be there a "few years." Yes, you could say she was referring to her five year contract; but the words came across to me that she will not be at NDSU for the long term.

I understand why AD Dorn hired Walseth, she came originally from Minnesota, her sister Annika played briefly at NDSU and so on. But really Dorn hired the ONLY coach that they had at the time. From reading a lot of Bison fans excited reaction to the hire, I feel that most are giving Walseth way too much credit for the success that the Penn State Lady Lion basketball program has had in recent years. The Lion's share of that should go to Coquese Washington, one of the top coaches in women's college basketball. Only time will tell if NDSU's hire of Maren was a good decision or not. There is this: when a team has just gone 6-24 there is only one way to go.....

Last, I just wanted to say I know that NDSU had won 5 National championships in women's Division II basketball, but there is a world of difference between Division II hoops and Division I basketball. Kind of like the difference between a high school team playing a middle school team. Huge difference. And from what I have read a lot of Bison fans acted as if they felt that when the transition was made to Division I...that the winning should just have continued on. That was really naïve.
Walseth said in her presser how she wanted to have a fast paced up tempo offense and an in your face defense that forced turnovers and so on. I've checked out the Lady Bison's roster and and watched some video of them in action and from what I have seen there aren't the kind of players on the current squad to even make that work...again not in Division I. I haven't had time to see NDSU's schedule but the current squad most likely wouldn't win a game in a 16 game B1G conference schedule. That is what I am used to watching, that level of play. Not sure how Walseth will be able to recuit top talent to NDSU when she couldn't even do a good job of recruiting kids to Penn State. Penn State has a state of the art 15,600+ seat Bryce Jordan Center (built just several years ago), has won 3 straight B1G conference regular season titles, has a head coach that was an All-Star player in the WNBA and has been named COY in the B1G for three straight seasons, has put 4 players into the WNBA in the last two seasons, has most of their games televised either on the BTN (B1G Ten Network) or on ESPN or ESPN 2, Penn State is the # 15 ranked public university in the country and the 37th. ranked university in the world according to U.S. News & World Report with 150 majors., and on and on and YET Walseth was not able to help bring in one single recruit for the 2014 class! No offense meant here, but NDSU is a much harder sell to elite recruits. They just went 6-24 and have struggled since moving up to Division I. Then there is the location and the weather. It is brutal. Not sure if NDSU has any games televised outside of North Dakota and it is not a world class university. It is a very tough sell and to expect a brand new head coach with no prior head coaching experience to come in and produce winning teams, Summit League titles, playoff runs and the like, is just not realistic. Short of hiring Geno Auriemma to come in and build this program I can't see it ever having the kind of success it once had as a proud Division II program. I sincerely wish coach Walseth and the Lady Bison's basketball team the best of luck and I hope I am wrong with my assessment but this looks like a mssion impossible to me.

HoopsBison
04-23-2014, 02:19 AM

As a Lady Lion fan my understanding is that she primarily coached the post players at Penn State and also helped with recruiting. I know a lot of Lady Lion fans have not been happy with what they perceive as the lack of development of post players such as 6-6 junior Tori Waldner who averaged just 4.8 points this past season as a starter. Also, same for 6-6 sophomore Candace Agee who was a McDonald's All-American coming out of high school, but who has struggled in her first two years at Penn State and only averaged 2 ppg this season.

Another concern is the feeling that she is not that good of a recruiter. The Lady Lions 'struck out' for the 2014 recruiting class as they got zero recruits, even though they tried mightily. They were somewhat close to getting Kia Nurse from Canada a 5 star but Nurse decided on UConn instead. So the Lady Lions have NO 2014 class. For next season, Tori Waldner is their only senior and so for two different classes they have exactly ONE recruit...this was NOT by design. Maren Walseth was already on staff for a year before Coquese Washington was named as head coach back in 2007 and so she was not chosen by Washington to be on her staff. My gut feeling is that Coquese wanted Maren to leave and that she most likely encouraged her to look for a head coaching position at another school. I know that Co has said how NDSU is "getting a gem" and so forth; but really she has to say stuff like that to the press.

While coach Walseth's resume may look impressive to some Bison fans anyhow, she obviously has no prior head coaching experience at any level. I watched her introductory press conference the other day and she came across to me as someone that is unsure of herself and in over her head. Her remarks about how they don't make instruction manuals on how to do this (press conference) and "I've never done this before" made her look really unprepared IMHO. I felt that she did a really bad press conference. Also, she kind of did a Freudian slip when she said (twice) on how she would be there a "few years." Yes, you could say she was referring to her five year contract; but the words came across to me that she will not be at NDSU for the long term.

I understand why AD Dorn hired Walseth, she came originally from Minnesota, her sister Annika played briefly at NDSU and so on. But really Dorn hired the ONLY coach that they had at the time. From reading a lot of Bison fans excited reaction to the hire, I feel that most are giving Walseth way too much credit for the success that the Penn State Lady Lion basketball program has had in recent years. The Lion's share of that should go to Coquese Washington, one of the top coaches in women's college basketball. Only time will tell if NDSU's hire of Maren was a good decision or not. There is this: when a team has just gone 6-24 there is only one way to go.....

Last, I just wanted to say I know that NDSU had won 5 National championships in women's Division II basketball, but there is a world of difference between Division II hoops and Division I basketball. Kind of like the difference between a high school team playing a middle school team. Huge difference. And from what I have read a lot of Bison fans acted as if they felt that when the transition was made to Division I...that the winning should just have continued on. That was really naïve.
Walseth said in her presser how she wanted to have a fast paced up tempo offense and an in your face defense that forced turnovers and so on. I've checked out the Lady Bison's roster and and watched some video of them in action and from what I have seen there aren't the kind of players on the current squad to even make that work...again not in Division I. I haven't had time to see NDSU's schedule but the current squad most likely wouldn't win a game in a 16 game B1G conference schedule. That is what I am used to watching, that level of play. Not sure how Walseth will be able to recuit top talent to NDSU when she couldn't even do a good job of recruiting kids to Penn State. Penn State has a state of the art 15,600+ seat Bryce Jordan Center (built just several years ago), has won 3 straight B1G conference regular season titles, has a head coach that was an All-Star player in the WNBA and has been named COY in the B1G for three straight seasons, has put 4 players into the WNBA in the last two seasons, has most of their games televised either on the BTN (B1G Ten Network) or on ESPN or ESPN 2, Penn State is the # 15 ranked public university in the country and the 37th. ranked university in the world according to U.S. News & World Report with 150 majors., and on and on and YET Walseth was not able to help bring in one single recruit for the 2014 class! No offense meant here, but NDSU is a much harder sell to elite recruits. They just went 6-24 and have struggled since moving up to Division I. Then there is the location and the weather. It is brutal. Not sure if NDSU has any games televised outside of North Dakota and it is not a world class university. It is a very tough sell and to expect a brand new head coach with no prior head coaching experience to come in and produce winning teams, Summit League titles, playoff runs and the like, is just not realistic. Short of hiring Geno Auriemma to come in and build this program I can't see it ever having the kind of success it once had as a proud Division II program. I sincerely wish coach Walseth and the Lady Bison's basketball team the best of luck and I hope I am wrong with my assessment but this looks like a mssion impossible to me.

Hey guy, I don't know anything about Penn State Lady hoops or Maren, but I do know she is not Coach Dehoff and that right there excites me.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

tony
04-23-2014, 02:27 AM

You don't have to look far to see that maybe we weren't that naive. Have you seen South Dakota State play? :) That's right, you have! Their first year in DI, SDSU beat their first round NCAA opponent (TCU) by 35 points. This year, the Bunnies went 3-0 against the Big 10 (beating Penn State, Indiana, Minnesota), and they have had better teams since going DI.

NDSU can be much better than they've been - and they've been much better in the past.

56BISON73
04-23-2014, 02:41 AM

Why didnt you just say you dont think shes a good coach and be done with it? :biggrin:

Tatanka
04-23-2014, 02:46 AM

http://i.imgur.com/emlsx.gif

Seems legit though.

BadlandsBison
04-23-2014, 03:47 AM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/645/227/1df.gif
You have a certain form of my attention. And that form is none of my attention

MichiganLion
04-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Could have. :) But was just trying to give an honest assessment of coach Walseth after reading how so many seem to see her as some sort of savior of the program. I feel that Dorn should have hired a coach with some prior head coaching experience. But there will clearly be a lot of growing pains for both the team and for HC Walseth.

MichiganLion
04-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Maybe Dorn should have hired Aaron Johnston. He HAS been at SDSU for THIRTEEN YEARS now. He actually has HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE. No offense but your post kind of proved my point for me that Walseth might not be such a good hire for he Lady Bison program. And of course NDSU can be much better...you can't keep going 6-24 forever, in time they will crack .500. My feeling is though that NDSU will never win at the same pace or attain to the same level (National Championships) like they had done previously when playing in Division II. That is an unrealistic expectation.

MichiganLion
04-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks George! :)
http://i.imgur.com/emlsx.gif

Seems legit though.

MichiganLion
04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to add that some have commented about Maren Walseth's annual salary of $150 K as if that is a lot of money to pay. Coquese Washington is currently being paid $2,500,000. over a five year contract. Or $500K per year. But she is worth every penny of it. So the 150K is reasonable given Walseth has no head coaching experience. Also, feel that coach Walseth will not stay at NDSU for the long haul. IF she can turn the program around by winning a Summit title or two...then if a more attractive offer were to come along, say from a B1G school or even her alma mater, then I feel she would jump at such an opportunity. I don't feel she is THAT good of a coach, but her resume does look impressive to the casual fan. No question that ex-coach DeHoff has the program pretty near rock bottom and so there could be some immediate progress. As they say, when you are down, there is only one way to go.....

1998braves64
04-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Don't think many are jumping on program savior bandwagon yet. Believe all of us realized that she has zero head coaching experience. After watching the hemorrhaging of the program for the last 4 years Bernie (from weekend at Bernie's) would have excited most of us. When we go from averaging around 1000 to maybe 200-300 a game it was brutal and I don't think you realize that. I'm realistic enough to know Walseth is not a proven commodity NDSU just isn't going to have access to those types of coaches. I give anyone willing to attempt this job because anyone with half a brain will realize Bison nation expectations are high to get NDSU to level of SDSU. This program use to only play 2nd fiddle to football, now it is not hardly on the radar on campus. We are not expecting 5 national championships in 6 years at DI level but an appearance in NCAA tournament should have had happened by now.

BlueKeyAlum
04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Just wanted to add that some have commented about Maren Walseth's annual salary of $150 K as if that is a lot of money to pay. Coquese Washington is currently being paid $2,500,000. over a five year contract. Or $500K per year. But she is worth every penny of it. So the 150K is reasonable given Walseth has no head coaching experience. Also, feel that coach Walseth will not stay at NDSU for the long haul. IF she can turn the program around by winning a Summit title or two...then if a more attractive offer were to come along, say from a B1G school or even her alma mater, then I feel she would jump at such an opportunity. I don't feel she is THAT good of a coach, but her resume does look impressive to the casual fan. No question that ex-coach DeHoff has the program pretty near rock bottom and so there could be some immediate progress. As they say, when you are down, there is only one way to go.....

BIson fans are very clued in to the fact that the days ot Irv Inniger and Amy Ruley and sticking around forever are done. We lost our football and basketball coaches this year due to success; we're a stepping stone for young coaches. Even though $150,000 K seems a lot to us, we're not dealing with the type of money that Penn State football kicks into the coffers so that's our reality.

And I'm glad CoWa is doing well at Penn State; she had a hella mess to clean up after the Rene Portland debacle and she stuck around and cleaned it up even though she had offers to co elsewhere.

Bison Dan
04-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Just wanted to add that some have commented about Maren Walseth's annual salary of $150 K as if that is a lot of money to pay. Coquese Washington is currently being paid $2,500,000. over a five year contract. Or $500K per year. But she is worth every penny of it. So the 150K is reasonable given Walseth has no head coaching experience. Also, feel that coach Walseth will not stay at NDSU for the long haul. IF she can turn the program around by winning a Summit title or two...then if a more attractive offer were to come along, say from a B1G school or even her alma mater, then I feel she would jump at such an opportunity. I don't feel she is THAT good of a coach, but her resume does look impressive to the casual fan. No question that ex-coach DeHoff has the program pretty near rock bottom and so there could be some immediate progress. As they say, when you are down, there is only one way to go.....Love how it's all Walseth's fault for no recruits, post players that don't develop but you give a pass to Washington! In the end it's the HC's job to make sure those things happen and they usually are the best recruiter. Maybe Washington's style was just holding Ms. Walseth back?

Bison03
04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
So no head coaching experience is a big deal to people? Really?? I can think of a few other coaches that had no head coaching experience when hired. Craig Bohl, Saul Phillips, Chris Klieman, Dave Richmond. Oh, you mean we do hire people like that and a couple of them have been pretty successful. Very successful DI head coaches aren't going to come to the Summit League. Getting top assistants is the recipe for success. To say that the women't basketball team can't be successful is crazy. People who say that now sound like all the doubters 11 years ago when NDSU transitioned to DI when they were saying that no program would be good. Hell, there were some back then that were saying that the only program that had a chance to compete at the next leval was womens bball. Does Walseth have a lot of work to do? Yes. Is she going to turn it around in 1 or 2 years? Probably not. But getting this team back to a leval of basketball it once was is an achievable goal and I will be cheering for that success.

Bison"FANatic"
04-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Welcome to our level of basketball. We don't have the big money to throw around and also understand we are a stepping stone not a destination job. We will see how good a job Walseth does for us. Many of us are willing to give her a shot. She has connections in the MSP area and that has to be our recruiting hot bed and we won't be recruiting at the big ten level. If she is such a bad recruiter why did your head coach have her in a "significant role in the teams recruiting" as her bio says. If Coquese Washington is so great that is a good thing as we like to hire assistants that have been under successful coaches. You can tear her down all you want but at our level potential is a main thing we look for in a coach, we have to catch the coaches on the way up. We found someone D1 experience, connections to NDSU and connections in the realm of womens basketball and also someone that knows our recruiting area. That is about as much as we can hope for. Now we will see what she can do with this opportunity.

StL Bison Fan
04-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Could you please hold off on this 'we are at a whole different level' crap until we get closer to WBB season? Right now as we get closer to football season we are prepping for the whole different level of football grief we will be getting from the Iowa rubes.

BYZEN
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Could have. :) But was just trying to TROLL coach Walseth after reading how so many seem to see her as some sort of savior of the program. I feel that Dorn should have hired a coach with some prior head coaching experience. But there will clearly be a lot of growing pains for both the team and for HC Walseth.

FIFY...is this LakesLion?

Da Bison
04-23-2014, 03:44 PM

I don't think so. Not enough CAPS.............. to be Lakes.:biggrin:

1998braves64
04-23-2014, 05:25 PM

Sometimes I wonder if it is just me and Lakes on this board... That said I've met/know a few others in person so I think I'm ok.

Hammersmith
04-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder if it is just me and Lakes on this board... That said I've met/know a few others in person so I think I'm ok.

[stands up]

I am lakesbison!

Tatanka
04-23-2014, 05:58 PM
http://cdn.chud.com/e/ed/ed9d90bf_Screen-Shot-2012-06-09-at-12.16.03-AM.png

BlueBisonRock
04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
http://cdn.chud.com/e/ed/ed9d90bf_Screen-Shot-2012-06-09-at-12.16.03-AM.png

However, the Rock trumps!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Kua5izvNVeM/UDeSWtL1_CI/AAAAAAAAdCk/QFRHrbbbWMg/s1600/dwayne+johnson+the+rock+(8).jpg

BlueKeyAlum
04-24-2014, 02:29 AM
[stands up]

I am lakesbison!

No....I'm the real LakesBison

56BISON73
04-24-2014, 03:08 AM

You quite the yapper arent ya.

CAS4127
04-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Bump! Where is Walseth at in terms of assistants. Any info./inside info public yet?!

THEsocalledfan
04-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Bump! Where is Walseth at in terms of assistants. Any info./inside info public yet?!

I heard they were hiring a Bison Hall of Fame LB from the 80's, who is also a lawyer, to teach them to be tough. No?

StL Bison Fan
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I heard they were hiring a Bison Hall of Fame LB from the 80's, who is also a lawyer, to teach them to be tough. No?
Bedazzled uniforms might be in our future.

HoopsBison
04-28-2014, 06:15 PM

I'm starting to wonder if any the previous assistants might remain.

unbison
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm starting to wonder if any the previous assistants might remain.

One would hope not
Clean slate please

HoopsBison
04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
One would hope not
Clean slate please

I would agree, just going off a player tweet, that may indicate that...not sure though

imabison
04-28-2014, 08:25 PM
I would agree, just going off a player tweet, that may indicate that...not sure though

And the tweet agreed with what you want of a clean slate, or that some of the previous staff may be kept??

HoopsBison
04-28-2014, 08:35 PM
And the tweet agreed with what you want of a clean slate, or that some of the previous staff may be kept??

The tweet indicated that two assistants from last year were back. Keith Dickhudt and Tom Goehle. Looking at their twitter feeds they definitely appear to be currently on staff.

CAS4127
04-28-2014, 08:38 PM
The tweet indicated that two assistants from last year were back. Keith Dickhudt and Tom Goehle. Looking at their twitter feeds they definitely appear to be currently on staff.

One of these guys was interviewed by Scotty after the last loss in the Summit tourney, and Scotty asked if he was going stay or or whether he wanted to and, while he didn't come right out a say it, it was obvious he was hoping to be retained by the new coach.

imabison
04-29-2014, 12:36 AM

Thanks just was not sure which way you meant. I thin Tom goehle brought Marena, and Bre so he has some definite connections.

Gully
04-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Actually, 56Bison73 and Lakes are close friends. They've been known to go ice fishing together. I got the text.

unbison
04-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Actually, 56Bison73 and Lakes are close friends. They've been known to go ice fishing together. I got the text.

As funny as that sounds those two turds probably would have a ball fishing together

westnodak93bison
05-03-2014, 03:31 PM
What's the deal with assistants?

DORMIE
05-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Just heard from Elephants Dream that Molly Marin has joined the staff at U of Denver as the recruiting coordinator after serving the last 6 years in the same positing at U of San Francisco. Molly was the coach for Amy that recruited all those good players that served on Carolyn's first squad. Taylor remarked at a meeting yesterday that he'd received a comment from Patrick Reusse (sp) that he'd thought that U of Minn would have hired Maren and that we stole a gem from them. An interesting spin from Mpls. We can only hope and be positive.

THEsocalledfan
05-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Just heard from Elephants Dream that Molly Marin has joined the staff at U of Denver as the recruiting coordinator after serving the last 6 years in the same positing at U of San Francisco. Molly was the coach for Amy that recruited all those good players that served on Carolyn's first squad. Taylor remarked at a meeting yesterday that he'd received a comment from Patrick Reusse (sp) that he'd thought that U of Minn would have hired Maren and that we stole a gem from them. An interesting spin from Mpls. We can only hope and be positive.

No way she'd take the NDSU job if she was being seriously considered be the Gophers......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BisBison
05-04-2014, 02:32 PM
No way she'd take the NDSU job if she was being seriously considered be the Gophers......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you look at Dormie's quote he didn't say Maren came here instead of entertaining a serious offer from the Goofs. He said GT said he had a comment from someone who thought the Goofs would go after Maren, but didn't. He thought the Goofs missed big on that and commented we "got a Gem". Not the first time we get someone that Minn overlooked.

unbison
05-04-2014, 03:56 PM
You can pick at lots of mistakes by the u of m .... But as bison fans we should say nothing about anyone else's women's basketball direction at this point

Loud and Proud Bison fan
05-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I have done some digging and found nothing.. anyone heard any new on Assistant coaches? It's kinda scary she was hired a month ago, and there has been nothing said.

El_Chapo
05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
How does a klabo choose und over ndsu?

aces1180
05-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Her stepmom is former Bison, turned UN_ traitor Mary Perrizo from Mandan. I bet that helps a lot.

El_Chapo
05-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I ran into a und recruit who said she was offerred to play bball vball and track if she went up there, talk about begging kids. She saw thru it and turned them down

DIBISON
05-15-2014, 02:07 AM
Her other offers reported tonight on WDAY included U of Mary and Moorhead St.

aces1180
05-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Her other offers reported tonight on WDAY included U of Mary and Moorhead St.

Yeah, but she is only in her junior year...if she has a great senior year, that interest could change.

RedRiver
05-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but she is only in her junior year...if she has a great senior year, that interest could change.
True, but most DI recruiting for 2015 recruits has taken place and offers are being made now up to the early signing period, which is this fall.

yukon
05-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Is she a ligit DI recruit or is she a project?

Ndsufan12
05-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Is she a ligit DI recruit or is she a project?

She knows how to score and has great size and body control--but slow feet.

BlueKeyAlum
05-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Twitter post from Walseth.

NDSU Bison WBB ‏@NDSUwbb 1m

First 30 days...a whirlwind, hectic, crazy, sleep deprived, lots of meeting, learning, but so EXCITING & FUN! #asceNDtheSUmmit #BisoNation

Like the hashtag!!

Mr Meaty
06-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Anything new with coaches? are all hired? any recruiting news? All Bison fans are excited to get Women's BB back to where it belongs and that is on the top. Please give us something so we know what is up. The March is on!!!!!!

BlueKeyAlum
06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Anything new with coaches? are all hired? any recruiting news? All Bison fans are excited to get Women's BB back to where it belongs and that is on the top. Please give us something so we know what is up. The March is on!!!!!!

i know camps are currently taking place according to Twitter. And while now announcement has been made on Kachine Alexander, she was at the NDSU event in the Twin Cities representing womens' basketball.

Mr Meaty
06-03-2014, 05:54 PM
i know camps are currently taking place according to Twitter. And while now announcement has been made on Kachine Alexander, she was at the NDSU event in the Twin Cities representing womens' basketball.

Thank you, I hope the camps are well attended by players. A good first chance for both coaches and kids to get to know each other. Maybe the next star is at camp now and will lead NDSU higher in a couple of years.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
06-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I know I shouldnt use twitter as a source, but John & Dom Izzo reported Patrick Harrison is going to be an Assitant coach.
Missed it if John said this.. but his new twitter handle is @BisonCoachPH
Here is his bio from previous employment.

Patrick Harrison is in his first season as assistant women’s basketball coach at Hastings College. Coach Harrison joins the women’s basketball staff after serving two years as a graduate assistant at Wichita State University. During his time at Wichita State University, the Shockers achieved many firsts in the program’s history including; an NCAA tournament appearance, Missouri Valley Conference Championship, school record for overall wins, defense nationally ranked in the top 20, two players on the All-MVC team. Prior to his time at WSU, Harrison held an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator position at Pratt Community College. Coach Harrison began his coaching career at Friends University in Wichita Kansas where he served as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator from 2007-2009. Not only does he bring vast experiences from programs at a variety of levels, Harrison also brings a passion for the game and for helping student athletes fulfill their potential. Coach Hofstetter on Patrick Harrison - “Coach Harrison is a great fit for us here at Hastings College. He’s passionate, energetic, very competent, and has a strong desire to make significant contributions to our program. He has spent a great deal of time and does a phenomenal job recruiting. He will be very involved with individual player development, in addition to recruiting, practices, and program operations. We are very fortunate to have him on our staff.”

source page http://www.hastingsbroncos.com/coach/0/2.php#Patrick_Harrison

Bison"FANatic"
06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.hastingsbroncos.com/coach/0/2.php#Patrick_Harrison

OK this is total thread drift but on this link take a look at the student assistants majors. I just found it quite funny.

Major: Elementary Educatoin
Major: K-12 Special Ed.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Here is the announcements from GoBison.com So, it is all offical with Patrick HArrison and Kachine Alexander.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/6/5/WBB_0605144334.aspx

BlueKeyAlum
06-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Here is the announcements from GoBison.com So, it is all offical with Patrick HArrison and Kachine Alexander.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/6/5/WBB_0605144334.aspx

Give Kachine a big Biso-Welcome on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Bison_CoachKash

Bison_Pride
07-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Head coach Walseth is very active on twitter and seems like a hoot. Lots of tweets lately while she's out on the recruiting trail. Her enthusiasm should help resurrect the women's program.

HoopsBison
07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Program Def needs energy and she's got it. Will see if she is able to recruit.

StL Bison Fan
07-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Head coach Walseth is very active on twitter and seems like a hoot. Lots of tweets lately while she's out on the recruiting trail. Her enthusiasm should help resurrect the women's program.

She sure seems to love what she's doing. Her tweets engage and have personality. Like it.

Bisonionette
07-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I like em too. She seem to be having a hard time though moving on from penn state. It's time to let go and move ahead with the school she works for

Mr Meaty
07-09-2014, 03:58 PM
I like em too. She seem to be having a hard time though moving on from penn state. It's time to let go and move ahead with the school she works for

just signed up to follow her on twitter. I am sure being her first head coaching job that she will seek advice from every source she has available to her. She does have to do right by NDSU Bison and she will.