PDA

View Full Version : Shit guys...UN_'s dick is bigger than ours....

IBleedYellow
03-25-2014, 07:41 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/magazine-und-outranks-ndsu-famous-alumni-department

What a stupid article.

NDSUstudent
03-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't expect anything different from the Herald.

StL Bison Fan
03-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Maybe they should count total law enforcement encounters.
And throw in with shoes or without.

Bison bison
03-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I like it.

Makes about as much sense as US News and World Reports College Rankings.

BisonTeacher
03-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I saw that on cnn a few weeks back but ndsu was not listed/comparable.

Bison bison
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
If we knew this ranking would be updated it would be totally worthwhile to game.

Somebody's got to be able to come up with an algorithm that creates new wikipedia entries for NDSU alumni...

As stupid as that sounds we know many universities have gamed the USN&WR rankings.

344Johnson
03-25-2014, 08:16 PM
If we knew this ranking would be updated it would be totally worthwhile to game.

Somebody's got to be able to come up with an algorithm that creates new wikipedia entries for NDSU alumni...

As stupid as that sounds we know many universities have gamed the USN&WR rankings.

Tell me more on how to game the rankings?

bri-dog
03-25-2014, 08:16 PM
WTF? What kind of "influence" do hockey players have?

I mean, besides "under the influence"...

:facepalm:

tjbison
03-25-2014, 08:35 PM
I love rankings based on a Wiki search.........very credible

KSBisonFan
03-25-2014, 08:38 PM
I stopped reading in the 2nd sentence at the words, "online tool" because I thought it was just another article about Porterhouse Rob.

344Johnson
03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
In the words of a recent UND grad friend of mine, "John...if I had known what kind of place UND was I would have never went there. "

Hammersmith
03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Tell me more on how to game the rankings?

Assuming you're serious. Since those rankings are based on a survey submitted by the university, the university knows what pieces of data go into the survey. From there, it's a matter of figuring out what USN&WR considers good. Looking at the rankings from a bunch of schools with publicly available data sets allows you to reverse engineer the formula they use. You can use that info to manipulate your ranking. Say the formula puts a high value on low application acceptance rates. To manipulate the results, you can encourage large numbers of unqualified students to apply. They get denied, the college gets an inflated acceptance rate, and the school moves a couple spots up the ranking. On the flip side, USN&WR continually changes the formula in order to change the order. They do this so the rankings don't get old and they can sell access to the "new" list every year. Total game on both sides.

BYZEN
03-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Well that was a wasted minute of my life I'll never get back!:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2:: facepalm2::facepalm2:

aces1180
03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
UN_ does have plenty of famous hockey players, but does it have a WWE Hall of Famer?

No!

bisonmike2
03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Why did I click on that?

IBleedYellow, you owe me 30 secs of my life back.

Bison03
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
So I noticed that the Time article used to write this article was writen on March, 18th. Today is March 25th. Anyone find that interresting? What could have possible happened between then and now....? Oh yeah, NDSU basketball wins a game in the NCAA tournament and gains a lot of national exposure. You have to believe some Bison hater UND grads at the Herald found this and had to put it in print to try and say, "Hey..look over here, we are actually more influentual, we are a big deal....look at me...look at me." Pretty funny actually. I also don't know how influential hockey players, and Phil Jackson are. I notice that they fail to mention Doug Burgum as an influential NDSU alumni. I almost feel bad for them up there that every time NDSU does something to garner national attentioin, they have to try and prove their worth.

ndsubison1
03-25-2014, 09:30 PM
let guess theres a thread on their site saying how awesome this is and this proves UN_ > NDSU lol

Hail bison
03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Phil Hansen would kick Phil Jackson's ass! :)

Hammersmith
03-25-2014, 09:37 PM
let guess theres a thread on their site saying how awesome this is and this proves UN_ > NDSU lol

Nope. Can't say I looked everywhere, but nothing in the normal spots. I'm sure someone will eventually mention it <coughsiouxvolleycough> but I'd guess that most of them think it's as stupid as we do.

80ALUM
03-25-2014, 10:06 PM
First of all are these so called "influenital" hockey players actually alumni? Secondly, most of the people mentioned are of "celebrity" status. One has only to go to the Spring Alumni Awards luncheon to realize there are some very influential NDSU alumni in the fields of pharmacy, military science, agriculture, chemistry, IT, etc. But I doubt if the author went to the trouble to research these types.

El_Chapo
03-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Somebody feels neglected

HerdBot
03-25-2014, 10:29 PM
So I noticed that the Time article used to write this article was writen on March, 18th. Today is March 25th. Anyone find that interresting? What could have possible happened between then and now....? Oh yeah, NDSU basketball wins a game in the NCAA tournament and gains a lot of national exposure. You have to believe some Bison hater UND grads at the Herald found this and had to put it in print to try and say, "Hey..look over here, we are actually more influentual, we are a big deal....look at me...look at me." Pretty funny actually. I also don't know how influential hockey players, and Phil Jackson are. I notice that they fail to mention Doug Burgum as an influential NDSU alumni. I almost feel bad for them up there that every time NDSU does something to garner national attentioin, they have to try and prove their worth.

I take it as a compliment :rofl:
Everyone is hating on NDSU. Heck the Griz board has 4 threads on NDSU. Someone is feeling like their dick is too small. The writer is playing the role as the comforting girlfriend, "size doesn't matter honey"

Tatanka
03-25-2014, 10:39 PM
I take it as a compliment :rofl:
Everyone is hating on NDSU. Heck the Griz board has 4 threads on NDSU. Someone is feeling like their dick is too small. The writer is playing the role as the comforting girlfriend, "size doesn't matter honey"

I agree with Gabe's assessment. Did I just divide by zero?

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

CAS4127
03-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Here is that actual GF Fishwrap front page headline. Even more pathetic than most realize.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/uga3a6yg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
That's adorable. Now go back to being irrelevant after you lose in hockey this weekend

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Maybe this should have been in the smack forum.

scottietohottie
03-25-2014, 11:04 PM
GF should just become a part of Canada!

Tatanka
03-25-2014, 11:21 PM
It is humorous and pathetic to see the great lengths that the Herald goes to try to put down NDSU. I mean, shit fellas, can you please even use a logo that's current?

Who's better? LOL!

SlickVic
03-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Is that 82 times or 8.2 times? Either way lol anybody got the front page of the forum from a few weeks ago with a list of all the mds in violation of substance abuse policy

NorthernBison
03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Here is that actual GF Fishwrap front page headline. Even more pathetic than most realize.

First thing I saw this morning. The timing is impeccable.

344Johnson
03-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Assuming you're serious. Since those rankings are based on a survey submitted by the university, the university knows what pieces of data go into the survey. From there, it's a matter of figuring out what USN&WR considers good. Looking at the rankings from a bunch of schools with publicly available data sets allows you to reverse engineer the formula they use. You can use that info to manipulate your ranking. Say the formula puts a high value on low application acceptance rates. To manipulate the results, you can encourage large numbers of unqualified students to apply. They get denied, the college gets an inflated acceptance rate, and the school moves a couple spots up the ranking. On the flip side, USN&WR continually changes the formula in order to change the order. They do this so the rankings don't get old and they can sell access to the "new" list every year. Total game on both sides.

I was serious and thank you for the explanation. Seems silly to go through that kind of effort.

Where is your most current degree from????? <----Just askin!!!!!

CAS4127
03-26-2014, 12:20 AM
I was serious and thank you for the explanation. Seems silly to go through that kind of effort.

Where is your most current degree from????? <----Just askin!!!!!

School of Hard Knocks & Bisonville Humility. Graduated with Distinction.

You have a long way to go!!

344Johnson
03-26-2014, 12:30 AM
School of Hard Knocks & Bisonville Humility. Graduated with Distinction.

You have a long way to go!!

Is that an accredited school?

CAS4127
03-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Is that an accredited school?

No, it's a "special" school! Have you not been reading Bisonville?!

BisonCountry
03-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Honestly it looks and reads like an Onion piece.

tjbison
03-26-2014, 01:56 AM
hit the breaking headlines section on inforum also

StL Bison Fan
03-26-2014, 02:01 AM
Maybe they can use their influence to get GameDay :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tatanka
03-26-2014, 02:09 AM
I was influenced just now to take a giant number two. I'm glad to know that un_ is 8.2x more likely to be the source of that influence, especially now that I've flushed twice to send it there.

aces1180
03-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Nope. Can't say I looked everywhere, but nothing in the normal spots. I'm sure someone will eventually mention it <coughsiouxvolleycough> but I'd guess that most of them think it's as stupid as we do.

There's one now...surprised it took so long.

Hail bison
03-26-2014, 02:14 AM
hit the breaking headlines section on inforum also

I especially liked the "breaking news" in red. It will lead on wday tonite

80ALUM
03-26-2014, 02:18 AM
I especially liked the "breaking news" in red. It will lead on wday tonite
And be in the Bismarck Trib in 2 days.

td577
03-26-2014, 02:32 AM
That was actually kind of funny. If I actually cared about this, it would be interesting to go back and research how often an article pops up like this whenever NDSU does well in anything. Shit, people, we have to find a way to get them off the ledge. I know, a feel good story about how much influence we have should do the trick. I would be embarrassed if my hometown newspaper resorted to this every time there is the sense of irrelevance in the area. I just thought of something. If un_ can claim its hockey players whether they graduate or not, we got portly rob.

JSUBison
03-26-2014, 02:48 AM
What's the difference between a state run newspaper of North Korea or China versus the Herald? Seriously, I don't know, the lines are awfully blurry up north.

Since heraldo likes teh wiki, here is what wikipedia says state run media does:

To promote the regime in a favourable light, CHECK
Vilify opposition to the government by launching smear campaigns CHECK
Giving skewed coverage to opposition views, or CHECK
Act as a mouthpiece to advocate a regime's ideology. CHECK

Tatanka
03-26-2014, 03:06 AM
What's the difference between a state run newspaper of North Korea or China versus the Herald? Seriously, I don't know, the lines are awfully blurry up north.

well, the herald is (mostly) written in English. Aside from that, no discernable difference.

coldspot
03-26-2014, 03:41 AM
did they really lead off with a quote about the quality of their education and then list off three hockey players that don't hold degrees from the school? nice work, Heraldo. No degree needed to be a writer for that piece of shit newspaper.

ndsubison1
03-26-2014, 05:45 AM
first of all who is NSDU? And the butthurt is seriously strong on this one. this just proves that they know that NDSU > UND

NDSU1980
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
When you have asshat alums like Shawno, darell, geaux sioux, DaveK and the like, you know that un_ sucks. I didn't even bother reading the article either, I'll let their fan's on the SS do the representing.

coldspot
03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
When you have asshat alums like Shawno, darell, geaux sioux, DaveK and the like, you know that un_ sucks. I didn't even bother reading the article either, I'll let their fan's on the SS do the representing.

I doubt any of them are actually alumni.

sent from your mom's phone

roadwarrior
03-26-2014, 01:33 PM
The Forum online edition has a poll today. Which school is the most influential? So far the poll results aren't giving much credit to teh hockies.

aces1180
03-26-2014, 01:40 PM

_arrel1976 has said in the past that he went to Aaker's...I wonder how that schools compares to NDSU?

_aveK has also stated he did not attend _ND.

I'm pretty sure geaux_sue played football there. I'm not sure about Shawn-O.

Tatanka
03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I fail to see how any credible journalist would not be thoroughly embarrassed to be associated with a newspaper that runs this tripe on its front page and designates it as breaking news.

bisonmike2
03-26-2014, 02:52 PM

I think you're on to something. This article is even more entertaining if you replace Kim Jong Il with Dave Hakstol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/19/kim-jong-il-18-strange-facts_n_1157276.html

aces1180
03-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Did anyone look at the Time comparison tool? It's obviously flawed, as they only only list the following for NDSU:

Alf Clausen
American composer and conductor

Rick Berg
American politician

Joseph Steffan
American lawyer

Craig Dahl
Player of American football

Neil Wagner (baseball)
Baseball player

Obviously, there is more famous living NDSU alumni that should be added to that list.

The Time tool is inaccurate.

StL Bison Fan
03-26-2014, 03:34 PM
I'll bet them a Craig Dahl and Phil Hansen and raise them a Doug Burgum (class of 78)

aces1180
03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
I'll bet them a Craig Dahl and Phil Hansen and raise them a Doug Burgum (class of 78)

There are lots of people to add to that list...Steve Nelson, Joe Mays, Ramon Humber, Chuck Wald, Bob Backlund, Lamar Gordon...Just to name a few from NDSU athletics. They seemingly include everybody who stepped on campus at UN_ when you take a look at their list.

bri-dog
03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
I think you're on to something. This article is even more entertaining if you replace Kim Jong Il with Dave Hakstol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/19/kim-jong-il-18-strange-facts_n_1157276.html

That's easy. I just copied it into Word, used "Find and Replace", and replaced "Kim Jong Il" with "Dave Hakstol" and "Kim" with "Hak". I'm sure it missed a few...

EDIT: Someone with more time than I have right now could have a lot more fun with this, I'm sure...

Dave Hakstol: 18 Strange
'Facts' About The North
Korean Leader
Dave Hakstol is a complex, often brutal dictator who prioritised military
might and his own comfort ahead of feeding his own people.
He was also a man who seemed to radiate weirdness.
Perhaps it was his style of dress, or his keen ability to look at things
without smiling. Perhaps it was his claim to have invented the hamburger.
Whatever the cause, there is no shortage of funny, bizarre and odd facts
about Dave Hakstol floating around on the internet.
Here are some of our favourites:
He Was Born Under A Double Rainbow
According to Dave Hakstol's official biography, he was born in a secret
military camp on Baekdu Mountain during North Korea's Japanese
occupation and his arrival was prophesised by a double rainbow and
marked by the sight of a new star and a swallow in the sky. Unfortunately
the truth appears to be more mundane - according to Soviet records, Hak
was born in the Siberian village of Vyatskoye in 1941.
He Loved Waterslides
Recently-taken satellite imagery of some of Hak Jong-Il's personal
mansions (the Communist leader had at least 17) show that the leader
made great efforts to build and maintain a series of ludicrously loopy
waterslides.
He Was Afraid Of Flying
Dave Hakstol was reportedly terrified of flying and always travelled in
armoured private trains - one of which he eventually died inside. His father,
Hak Il-sung, was also afraid of flying.
He Kidnapped Short People
According to one of Dave Hakstol's former tutors, the leader used
pamphlets advertising wonder-growth drugs to lure small people into traps,
from where they would be deported to "uninhabited islands" to remove
their "substandard" stock from the genepool.
He Was The World's Greatest Sportsman
According to national media, in 1994 Dave Hakstol shot a record-breaking
round of golf in which he achieved 11 holes-in-one, and a total score of 38
- by far the greatest score in history. And it was his first try, having never
before played the game. No other media organisation reported the news,
however…
He Could Control The Weather
According to reports the former leader spread rumours that he could make
it rain on demand, depending on his mood.
He Kidnapped Two Directors To Remake Godzilla
Dave Hakstol loved movies - he had a collection of more than 20,000 - and
his 1973 book 'On The Art Of Cinema' became a manual for North Korean
directors. Disappointed with their work, however, he took matters into his
own hands. No, he didn't direct a film himself, as far as we know. Instead
he kidnapped two respected South Korean directors in 1978 (Shin Sang
Ok and Choi Eun Hee) and forced them to remake Godzilla. Their movie,
Pulgasari, only emerged after the couple were forced to remarry in 1983
having spent years inside labour camps. They eventually escaped on a trip
to Vienna, where they fled to the US embassy in 1986.
See below for a clip from the film.
He Was Suspected Of Killing His Brother At Age Five
Hak's younger brother Hak Shu-ra drowned in the family's swimming pool
in a mansion in Pyongyang when he was five. Soviet reports claimed that
the young future leader might have been responsible for the incident.
He Drank $700k Worth Of Cognac A Year
According to a study a few years ago by Dr. Jerold Post, a former CIA
psychologist, Dave Hakstol loved Hennessey cognac - which sells for
around $630 a bottle in North Korea, or just under the average annual
income ($900). According to the study he averaged around $650,000 to
$720,000 of cognac a year.
He Did Not Use Toilets - Because He Didn't Need To
According to an official biography posted on the North Korean state web
site, that has since been removed, Hak Jong-il did not defecate.
His Son - And New North Korean leader - Hak Jong Un Is Obsessed
With The NBA.
Swiss-educated Hak Jong-un was apparently obsessed with professional
basketball and worshipped Kobe Bryant of the LA Lakers. Friends who
knew him said that he was a "fiercely competitive player" even though he
was also shy and awkward with girls. He was not aggressively anti-
American and had photographs of himself with NBA players. No one is
sure of when they were taken.
He Considered Himself To Be An Internet Expert
North Korean citizens were not able to freely use mobile phones or the
Internet, but Hak considered himself to be a communications expert. "I'm
an Internet expert too," he told South Korea's president in 2007. "It's all
right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other
regions of the North are wired."
He Forced Staff To Become Drug Addicts
One of Hak's former staff members wrote a book in which he said that the
Dear Leader forced his men to take the same painkillers as him so that he
would not be the only one who became addicted after falling off a horse.
Thoughtful.
He Ate Donkeys
One of Hak's former chefs reported in 2004 that the leader developed a
taste for nice French wine, lobster and donkey meat.
He Had Many, Many Titles
Among Dave Hakstol's official titles were: Shining Star of Paektu Mountain,
Guiding Sun Ray, Dear Leader, Great Leader, Respected Leader, Brilliant
Leader, Sun of Socialism, The Great Sun of Life, Great Man Who
Descended From Heaven, Invicible And Ever-Triumphant General and
Highest Incarnation of the Revolutionary Comradely Love.
He Was A Rice Obsessive
According to a nephew of Hak's first wife, Lee Young Nam, the leader had
female staff inspect each grain of rice he ate to make sure it adhered to
standards of length, weight and colour.
He Invented Hamburgers
North Korean newspaper Minju Joson once reported that Dave Hakstol
had invented something called the "double bread with meat" and created
factories to produce them in order to feed his students and teachers. Given
North Korea's anti-American stance it wasn't politic to admit they were in
fact hamburgers.
He Forced Women To Have Cosmetic Surgery
According to one report, Hak forced waitresses at restaurants frequented
by foreigners in Pyongyang to have cosmetic surgery in order to appear
more "western".

bisonmike2
03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
That's easy. I just copied it into Word, used "Find and Replace", and replaced "Kim Jong Il" with "Dave Hakstol" and "Kim" with "Hak". I'm sure it missed a few...

EDIT: Someone with more time than I have right now could have a lot more fun with this, I'm sure...

Dave Hakstol: 18 Strange
'Facts' About The North
Korean Leader
Perhaps it was his style of dress, or his keen ability to look at things
without smiling. Perhaps it was his claim to have invented the hamburger.
Whatever the cause, there is no shortage of funny, bizarre and odd facts
about Dave Hakstol floating around on the internet.
Here are some of our favourites:
He Was Born Under A Double Rainbow
According to Dave Hakstol's official biography, he was born in a secret
military camp on Baekdu Mountain during North Korea's Japanese
occupation and his arrival was prophesised by a double rainbow and
marked by the sight of a new star and a swallow in the sky. Unfortunately
the truth appears to be more mundane - according to Soviet records, Hak
was born in the Siberian village of Vyatskoye in 1941.
He Loved Waterslides
Recently-taken satellite imagery of some of Hak Jong-Il's personal
mansions (the Communist leader had at least 17) show that the leader
made great efforts to build and maintain a series of ludicrously loopy
waterslides.
He Was Afraid Of Flying
Dave Hakstol was reportedly terrified of flying and always travelled in
armoured private trains - one of which he eventually died inside. His father,
Hak Il-sung, was also afraid of flying.
He Kidnapped Short People
According to one of Dave Hakstol's former tutors, the leader used
pamphlets advertising wonder-growth drugs to lure small people into traps,
from where they would be deported to "uninhabited islands" to remove
their "substandard" stock from the genepool.
He Was The World's Greatest Sportsman
According to national media, in 1994 Dave Hakstol shot a record-breaking
round of golf in which he achieved 11 holes-in-one, and a total score of 38
- by far the greatest score in history. And it was his first try, having never
before played the game. No other media organisation reported the news,
however…
He Could Control The Weather
According to reports the former leader spread rumours that he could make
it rain on demand, depending on his mood.
He Kidnapped Two Directors To Remake Godzilla
Dave Hakstol loved movies - he had a collection of more than 20,000 - and
his 1973 book 'On The Art Of Cinema' became a manual for North Korean
directors. Disappointed with their work, however, he took matters into his
own hands. No, he didn't direct a film himself, as far as we know. Instead
he kidnapped two respected South Korean directors in 1978 (Shin Sang
Ok and Choi Eun Hee) and forced them to remake Godzilla. Their movie,
Pulgasari, only emerged after the couple were forced to remarry in 1983
having spent years inside labour camps. They eventually escaped on a trip
to Vienna, where they fled to the US embassy in 1986.
See below for a clip from the film.
He Was Suspected Of Killing His Brother At Age Five
Hak's younger brother Hak Shu-ra drowned in the family's swimming pool
in a mansion in Pyongyang when he was five. Soviet reports claimed that
the young future leader might have been responsible for the incident.
He Drank $700k Worth Of Cognac A Year
According to a study a few years ago by Dr. Jerold Post, a former CIA
psychologist, Dave Hakstol loved Hennessey cognac - which sells for
around $630 a bottle in North Korea, or just under the average annual
income ($900). According to the study he averaged around $650,000 to
$720,000 of cognac a year.
He Did Not Use Toilets - Because He Didn't Need To
According to an official biography posted on the North Korean state web
site, that has since been removed, Hak Jong-il did not defecate.
His Son - And New North Korean leader - Hak Jong Un Is Obsessed
With The NBA.
Swiss-educated Hak Jong-un was apparently obsessed with professional
basketball and worshipped Kobe Bryant of the LA Lakers. Friends who
knew him said that he was a "fiercely competitive player" even though he
was also shy and awkward with girls. He was not aggressively anti-
American and had photographs of himself with NBA players. No one is
sure of when they were taken.
He Considered Himself To Be An Internet Expert
North Korean citizens were not able to freely use mobile phones or the
Internet, but Hak considered himself to be a communications expert. "I'm
an Internet expert too," he told South Korea's president in 2007. "It's all
right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other
regions of the North are wired."
He Forced Staff To Become Drug Addicts
One of Hak's former staff members wrote a book in which he said that the
Dear Leader forced his men to take the same painkillers as him so that he
would not be the only one who became addicted after falling off a horse.
Thoughtful.
He Ate Donkeys
One of Hak's former chefs reported in 2004 that the leader developed a
taste for nice French wine, lobster and donkey meat.
He Had Many, Many Titles
Among Dave Hakstol's official titles were: Shining Star of Paektu Mountain,
Guiding Sun Ray, Dear Leader, Great Leader, Respected Leader, Brilliant
Leader, Sun of Socialism, The Great Sun of Life, Great Man Who
Descended From Heaven, Invicible And Ever-Triumphant General and
Highest Incarnation of the Revolutionary Comradely Love.
He Was A Rice Obsessive
According to a nephew of Hak's first wife, Lee Young Nam, the leader had
female staff inspect each grain of rice he ate to make sure it adhered to
standards of length, weight and colour.
He Invented Hamburgers
North Korean newspaper Minju Joson once reported that Dave Hakstol
had invented something called the "double bread with meat" and created
factories to produce them in order to feed his students and teachers. Given
North Korea's anti-American stance it wasn't politic to admit they were in
fact hamburgers.
He Forced Women To Have Cosmetic Surgery
According to one report, Hak forced waitresses at restaurants frequented
by foreigners in Pyongyang to have cosmetic surgery in order to appear
more "western".

That first part got me and I'm still laughing because of it.

Bison03
03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Maybe they can use their influence to get GameDay :rofl::rofl::rofl:

GF Herald > ESPN

NDSU1980
03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
_arrel1976 has said in the past that he went to Aaker's...I wonder how that schools compares to NDSU?

_aveK has also stated he did not attend _ND.

I'm pretty sure geaux_sue played football there. I'm not sure about Shawn-O.
That's right, what was I thinking about. They are the most influential people who didn't attend UN_.

ndsubison1
03-26-2014, 10:26 PM
I doubt any of them are actually alumni.

sent from your mom's phone

Hayduke graduated from like 10 universities

johnson
03-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Did anyone look at the Time comparison tool? It's obviously flawed, as they only only list the following for NDSU:

Alf Clausen
American composer and conductor

Rick Berg
American politician

Joseph Steffan
American lawyer

Craig Dahl
Player of American football

Neil Wagner (baseball)
Baseball player

Obviously, there is more famous living NDSU alumni that should be added to that list.

The Time tool is inaccurate.
Gus Bradley may be a good one to add to the list...

Bison bison
03-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Mike Jacobs to receive honorary doctorate from UND. That will surely up their ranking.

MAKBison
03-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Has any one used this to determine how influiancial the forum is compared to to the rags

StL Bison Fan
03-27-2014, 02:27 AM
Has any one used this to determine how influiancial the forum is compared to to the rags

I believe the Forum IS a rag

perthbison
03-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Mike Jacobs to receive honorary doctorate from UND. That will surely up their ranking.:facepalm:If any of those brilliant clowns at the Hearld were any good, they wouldn't be working for Forum communications. Honestly, they could just as well hire porterhouse to be their editor in chief.

td577
03-27-2014, 03:19 AM

That would be interesting. Our one newspaper is more influential than our other one, but please don't quit buying that one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Bison03
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I am just shocked an amazed at how UN_ fans are taking this article to prove their relivence. "See, we are better, despite all you have done, we are better then you." Man, they are dilusional. This article talks about relivance, but then just lists famous people who went to (not necessarily graduated) from both schools. It just seems like the research done for this article is lazy. I have no problem citing current or former congressman and people like them as reasons to prove influence; but to list professional athletes is just stupid. How much influence do they have that directly relates to to university? Just how do they show their influence? By making a lot of money playing sports? Do any of the these pro athletes at UN_, or NDSU for that matter, give and money back to their school? I bet the total dollars is low. I would argue that people in business, especially ones in the local community are more influential then them. But if UN_ fans want to pump up this article to somehow show that they are better then us, go ahead; they just look pathetic doing it.

aces1180
03-27-2014, 01:40 PM
I am just shocked an amazed at how UN_ fans are taking this article to prove their relivence. "See, we are better, despite all you have done, we are better then you." Man, they are dilusional. This article talks about relivance, but then just lists famous people who went to (not necessarily graduated) from both schools. It just seems like the research done for this article is lazy. I have no problem citing current or former congressman and people like them as reasons to prove influence; but to list professional athletes is just stupid. How much influence do they have that directly relates to to university? Just how do they show their influence? By making a lot of money playing sports? Do any of the these pro athletes at UN_, or NDSU for that matter, give and money back to their school? I bet the total dollars is low. I would argue that people in business, especially ones in the local community are more influential then them. But if UN_ fans want to pump up this article to somehow show that they are better then us, go ahead; they just look pathetic doing it.

The issue I have is the fact that the Time "comparison tool" uses Wikipedia, which is obviously missing some key alumni...This whole thing is as credible as the stuff _arrel1976 or SueVolley posts on SS.com.

coldspot
03-27-2014, 01:44 PM
The issue I have is the fact that the Time "comparison tool" uses Wikipedia, which is obviously missing some key alumni...This whole thing is as credible as the stuff _arrel1976 or SueVolley posts on SS.com.

didn't the TIME writers learn anything in college? wikipedia is NOT a credible source for information.

NDSU '96
03-27-2014, 01:47 PM
didn't the TIME writers learn anything in college? wikipedia is NOT a credible source for information.Unfortunately there is a whole generation of young people in middle school up to college for whom Wiki is treated by educators as an equally credible source as the World Book Encyclopedia was for generations before.

Sadly, I see Wiki treated as a respected source everyday. TIME is only reinforcing what I see all the time.

aces1180
03-27-2014, 01:54 PM
didn't the TIME writers learn anything in college? wikipedia is NOT a credible source for information.

TIME magazine was a pretty good source of information before the digital age...Now, not so much.

BYZEN
03-27-2014, 01:54 PM
I have issues with the FARGO Forum jumping in with an obviously trolling article and then putting it to a poll as if to redeem itself.
Has the Bismarck Trashbune gone with it yet today? Maybe tomorrow...

I do realize that they are all owned by the same people and they want nothing more than to get the rivalry back into high gear so they can sell paper and advertising. #It'sAllAboutThe$

coldspot
03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately there is a whole generation of young people in middle school up to college for whom Wiki is treated by educators as an equally credible source as the World Book Encyclopedia was for generations before.

Sadly, I see Wiki treated as a respected source everyday. TIME is only reinforcing what I see all the time.

they're not teaching to use it as a source at NDSU. every course I ever took would deduct a good chunk of points for using wikipedia in the citations.

aces1180
03-27-2014, 02:01 PM
I have issues with the FARGO Forum jumping in with an obviously trolling article and then putting it to a poll as if to redeem itself.
Has the Bismarck Trashbune gone with it yet today? Maybe tomorrow...

I do realize that they are all owned by the same people and they want nothing more than to get the rivalry back into high gear so they can sell paper and advertising. #It'sAllAboutThe$

The Bismarck Tribune is not owned by Forum Comm...They are owned by Lee Enterprises out of Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Enterprises

*Wikipedia is acceptable for message board commentary. ;)

El_Chapo
03-27-2014, 02:40 PM
if any of these asshats would of had xmradio's 3 sports channels on last Friday all day, they would of heard NDSU talk all day long as we did on our trip up from mexico. the general public in north dakota cant even fathom how big a deal that win was for NDSU, just google it 485,000 matches for ndsu Oklahoma https://www.google.com/#q=ndsu+oklahoma

Bison Dan
03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
I wonder if the Hearld will run this?

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2013 ROI for all colleges

rank
NDSU in-state 266 8.2% return on investment 722,800 over 30 years
NDSU out state 318 6.6% ROI 679,000

UND in-state 419 7.5% ROI 615,000
UND out state 499 6.0 ROI 572,000

Bison03
03-27-2014, 05:26 PM

rank

How dare you use numbers and facts from a reputable source to prove a point! Thats like bringing up RPI.

Tatanka
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM

rank

breaking news who is better?

Except that this is anything but breaking news for anyone who has paid attention...

Hammersmith
03-27-2014, 08:45 PM

rank

snicker - snicker - snickbwahahahahaha

check out the school nine spots above UND

Hambone
03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
snicker - snicker - snickbwahahahahaha

check out the school nine spots above UND

You do realize that DeVry, another online mill, is at 167 right? And SD School of mines is around 25? Those must both be way better schools than NDSU.

Like any other ranking it all depends on where they are pulling their info. For example, for UND they list 9 accountants with a median salary of 43k. Since that's my profession I do know more than 9 UND accountants that are 35 or under that are all in the 6 figures. So, excuse me if I take this info with a grain of salt:)

Or does this prove DeVry is better than the U of M as a school??

in closing the my school is better pecker measuring contest is entertaining to read but gets old. I'd be happy to have my kids go to either school.

StL Bison Fan
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM
SD school of mines is an engineering school so I don't think that's too far fetched.

Hambone
03-27-2014, 09:38 PM
SD school of mines is an engineering school so I don't think that's too far fetched.

Dammit you caught me. I was seeing how well you were paying attention. Touché my friend.......

Tatanka
03-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Dammit you caught me. I was seeing how well you were paying attention. Touché my friend.......

so, ham, what did you think of the herald's masterpiece? Was the timing of the article coincidence?

Hammersmith
03-27-2014, 10:10 PM
You do realize that DeVry, another online mill, is at 167 right? And SD School of mines is around 25? Those must both be way better schools than NDSU.

Like any other ranking it all depends on where they are pulling their info. For example, for UND they list 9 accountants with a median salary of 43k. Since that's my profession I do know more than 9 UND accountants that are 35 or under that are all in the 6 figures. So, excuse me if I take this info with a grain of salt:)

in closing the my school is better pecker measuring contest is entertaining to read but gets old. I'd be happy to have my kids go to either school.

Yes, but DeVry isn't the subject of a running joke here on BV.

Hambone
03-27-2014, 10:12 PM
so, ham, what did you think of the herald's masterpiece? Was the timing of the article coincidence?

I honestly didn't read it. Don't really care. Someone said it was based on a Time article or something, so depending on when that came out would affect my answer (although I would find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidental)......

Hambone
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Very true.......

StL Bison Fan
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Yes, but the other on line mill is...

Tatanka
03-27-2014, 10:26 PM
I honestly didn't read it. Don't really care. Someone said it was based on a Time article or something, so depending on when that came out would affect my answer (although I would find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidental)......

exactly the answer I was expecting. I would sure like to believe there are more rational people from either school that sees this for what it is. Sadly more and more I'm realizing that smart, rational people are outside the target market of the local fishwrap.

reformedUNDfan
03-28-2014, 05:30 PM

having known a number of accounting majors at UND and having lived in Gamble hall (BA, MS) for several years, I highly doubt you are citing a relevant sample. Of my college accounting friends, only one is over 50k, and he isn't doing anything accounting related.

the SDSOM is absolutely a better school than UND or NDSU.

both sides here need to realized that NDSU and UND are now almost perfect peers, and UND folk need to wake the f up and recognize that momentum is not on our (being my fellow UND grads) side. Butthockey.

bisonmike2
03-28-2014, 05:33 PM
having known a number of accounting majors at UND and having lived in Gamble hall (BA, MS) for several years, I highly doubt you are citing a relevant sample. Of my college accounting friends, only one is over 50k, and he isn't doing anything accounting related.

the SDSOM is absolutely a better school than UND or NDSU.

both sides here need to realized that NDSU and UND are now almost perfect peers, and UND folk need to wake the f up and recognize that momentum is not on our (being my fellow UND grads) side. Butthockey.

Oh yeah! Well our football team would kick their ass!

Bison Football Rules!

the purple is for the implied sarcastic tone of my post and not because I don't think out football team would kick their football team's ass because we would! Bison Football Rules!

MNLonghorn10
03-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah! Well our football team would kick their ass!

Bison Football Rules!

the purple is for the implied sarcastic tone of my post and not because I don't think out football team would kick their football team's ass because we would! Bison Football Rules!
uh no. NDSU would lose.

Tatanka
03-28-2014, 06:24 PM
uh no. NDSU would lose.

MNLonghorn sees it clearly--a 52-10 loss for NDSU.

Tatanka
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Boom.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/430948/

aces1180
04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Boom.

That's awesome!

Bison03
04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Boom.

Nope, hockey players automatically trump all of that.

1998braves64
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Boom.

butthockey

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

IBleedYellow
04-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Anyone see what was posted today? Concordia graduates make $81,000 and change for 20 year ROI.... Ouch. Compared to NDSU at $360,000

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

1998braves64
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Anyone see what was posted today? Concordia graduates make $81,000 and change for 20 year ROI.... Ouch. Compared to NDSU at $360,000

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

buttRDO??

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

Tatanka
04-12-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/431930/

Boom.

Hail bison
04-12-2014, 07:21 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/431930/

Boom.

I'm pleased to see Dick Solberg mentioned. He and his son, Mike (bank president) are two of the most genuine, nice people you'd ever meet. The majority shareholder, Mickey Snortland, just recently passed away (sad untimely heart attack in early sixties). He would introduce himself as a farmer, just a regular guy. None of these guys are NDSU grads but are part of Fargo and the surrounding area.

Tatanka
04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm pleased to see Dick Solberg mentioned. He and his son, Mike (bank president) are two of the most genuine, nice people you'd ever meet. The majority shareholder, Mickey Snortland, just recently passed away (sad untimely heart attack in early sixties). He would introduce himself as a farmer, just a regular guy. None of these guys are NDSU grads but are part of Fargo and the surrounding area.

Agreed 100%.

StL Bison Fan
04-12-2014, 09:53 PM
But can Doug skate?
Not too special if he can't...

And yes, I can skate. Draw your own conclusions...