PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Program

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2014, 03:25 AM
This thread for only positive talk if anything becomes negative at all MODS please delete it as it does not belong here.

Thank you to every player that has played at NDSU before D1 and in the transition to now. I know there is a thanks seniors thread and nothing to take away from their moment. I would just like to thank every player that led to something as great as the last 2 weeks. Words cant even explain of how proud I am as an Alum of this basketball teams accomplishment this season. It started years ago and into the transition year with that team in 2009 to the team now. The recognition and publicity we have received in the last year was not all based on just this season its been adding up.

We are one giant family and to see Sauls press Conference if you dont get a tear in your eye your not human.

We have done more than anything we even dreamed of or thought was possible. Please keep this thread all positive and no negativity in this thread as it is not needed.

Let's talk about all of the accomplishments this program has achieved over the years and any memories you have with this Bison Basketball Progam.

Please sticky this

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2014, 03:39 AM
We closed down the BSA with the greatest year in the history of our basketball program. Can't ask for anything better than that.

One of my greatest memories in the BSA was having KState come to Fargo and to be in that game and have a legitimate chance of winning even though it was a loss to have a big 12 team in the BSA and almost beat them is simply impressive.

The wins versus Marquette and Wisconsin are also up there those were extremely big for our program.

This program is on the rise!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

StL Bison Fan
03-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Here is the post game press conference mentioned above. What a great season with even greater guys.
Saul is one of a kind.
http://youtu.be/Es6WFwm1lGM?a

BisonTeacher
03-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Honestly i never followed the mens team while i was in college. Its been fun following them the past few years. Bison athletics have grown leaps and bounds.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2014, 03:52 AM
Honestly i never followed the mens team while i was in college. Its been fun following them the past few years. Bison athletics have grown leaps and bounds.

There should not be one negative thing to say bout our athletic department or this past season. We are on the rise!!!!

NDSU92
03-23-2014, 03:57 AM
My first memories as a Bison fan aren't the football games. They're going to basketball games on Friday and Saturday nights with my dad. Playing basketball games with my friends on the side hoops at the BSA. Walking with Steve to the concession stand and him letting me eat the entire box of popcorn that we were supposed to share. All of these are memories I will never forget. The feats that our football team has accomplished have been well documented and nothing short of amazing, but the journey that this basketball team has made is just as impressive. I will always be first and foremost a football fan, but in recent memory I haven't been as excited for a sporting event as I am for the game tonight. Win or lose, thank you to this 2013-2014 NDSU basketball team and Saul Phillips for helping me fall back in love with Bison Basketball. Let's get 'em boys, Bisonation is behind you!!!

^^This was my facebook status before the game. My handle, NDSU92 represents my birth year if anyone is wondering what era I grew up in. In my group of friends I've been the most critical of Saul (mostly because of the UND road games), but I've come to respect the hell outta Saul and I now love the guy. I've shaken his hand in church and to see the way he composed himself on a national stage was awesome. He has this program headed in the right direction and I honestly don't think NDSU could have a better basketball coach at this time. Here's to hoping he stays seven more years!!!

BisonTeacher
03-23-2014, 03:57 AM
There should not be one negative thing to say bout our athletic department or this past season. We are on the rise!!!!

To recap

Kstate
Gameday
Winning big dance game

Definitely on the rise.

The year of the bison!

NDSUstudent
03-23-2014, 04:11 AM
I just can't help but think how happy the Bisonator would be right now. How proud he would be. That guy was one of the most passionate fans I've ever seen at the BSA, I remember we were playing a game during winter break against IUPUI, hardly any students were there but he was there front and center screaming and pounding on the ancient BSA bleachers willing everyone around him to get fired up. I hardly knew the guy outside of this forum but to see somebody that cared that much is just so hard to forget.

No doubt he is somewhere looking down and smiling right now.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2014, 04:31 AM
I just can't help but think how happy the Bisonator would be right now. How proud he would be. That guy was one of the most passionate fans I've ever seen at the BSA, I remember we were playing a game during winter break against IUPUI, hardly any students were there but he was there front and center screaming and pounding on the ancient BSA bleachers willing everyone around him to get fired up. I hardly knew the guy outside of this forum but to see somebody that cared that much is just so hard to forget.

No doubt he is somewhere looking down and smiling right now.

Great Post!!!! Thanks for bringing him up!! He was extremely passionate fan and didn't give 2 shits what people thought or laughed if he was the only one standing and yelling.

If he was still here I bet he would of done anything possible to be out in Spokane.

El_Chapo
03-23-2014, 04:38 AM
On my drive up from Mexico yesterday every espn fox sports radio was talking about ndsu basketball it don't get bigger than that a FBS conference invite would really catapult ndsu basketball to another level

HerdBot
03-23-2014, 05:22 AM
Here is the post game press conference mentioned above. What a great season with even greater guys.
Saul is one of a kind.
http://youtu.be/Es6WFwm1lGM?a

Wow how can anyone not love the passion. Everyone cares ALOT and that means something. They know it wasn't their best performance and I love that. Thanks to these guys for a great run. No shame losing to a powerhouse team but whats scary is we COULD have beaten them. Makes it sting. You've laid the foundation for the future. Thank you

Snowgoose
03-23-2014, 12:40 PM
My takeaways were this was awesome and couldn't have been more fun. As an avid fan sice the mid 80's this run was something never imagined as I thought we may struggle at men's BB when we made the transition to D1 and it has actually been opposite. With a new arena coming I think we have an opportunity to build on this momentum.

One thing that was proven today is brown can flat out play. He has improved greatly since the end of last year and I think will be a stud in the future.

One other thing that surprised me is that at the end Werner went in with those long guys and took down a rebounder and got fouled. That showed me he may just be fine at this level as our other bigs struggled to do that in this game because of SDSU length.

My only other comment is negative and sorry that it is but it is true and Saul needs to make an adjustment. Saul has done a great job with a horrible arena and he is clearly a good recruiter to be able to do that, but his in game adjustments and particularly his substitutions he needs to improve on. He reminds me a lot of adelman with young players and rotations and he needs to change that going forward for him to take the next step as a coach. Yesterday some of our starters looked dead tired and yet he did not sub in guys like Aaberg or Dupree. Bjork land played almost the whole second half and he looked shot. He needs to learn from this experience to make himself a better coach going forward.

unbison
03-23-2014, 02:10 PM
I loved seeing Werner do that then he looked over at the bench and Saul said I don't give a shit!

2011BisonAlumni
03-23-2014, 02:56 PM
There is always room for improvement and we should never settle for not trying to improve.

Let's start with attendance. While NDSU basketball fans will show up during big games such as this last weekend, or attendance is pathetic for a Division 1 state flagship university. We averaged approximately 3,100 per game this year, just slightly over 50% capacity at the BSA, yet we had arguably the greatest NDSU basketball team that this University has ever produced.

Let's be honest. There is nothing going on in the winter in Fargo. NDSU basketball needs to be the main show in town every single night. We need to quit pretending that we are something other than fair weather fans and go support this team next year win or lose.

1998braves64
03-23-2014, 03:38 PM
There is always room for improvement and we should never settle for not trying to improve.

Let's start with attendance. While NDSU basketball fans will show up during big games such as this last weekend, or attendance is pathetic for a Division 1 state flagship university. We averaged approximately 3,100 per game this year, just slightly over 50% capacity at the BSA, yet we had arguably the greatest NDSU basketball team that this University has ever produced.

Let's be honest. There is nothing going on in the winter in Fargo. NDSU basketball needs to be the main show in town every single night. We need to quit pretending that we are something other than fair weather fans and go support this team next year win or lose.

I will disagree with nothing going on in Fargo many families with tweens and teens have kids competing in sports it is tough to juggle Thursday Saturday schedule with kids activities, shoot I don't even have kids in activities yet and it already affects what you're able to do.

That said there are many folks that do not have this issue (I am assuming with you based on your screen name.. So forgive me if I am wrong :) )

and hopefully can fill the SHAC more which in itself should help substantially.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

HoopsBison
03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
I will disagree with nothing going on in Fargo many families with tweens and teens have kids competing in sports it is tough to juggle Thursday Saturday schedule with kids activities, shoot I don't even have kids in activities yet and it already affects what you're able to do.

That said there are many folks that do not have this issue (I am assuming with you based on your screen name.. So forgive me if I am wrong :) )

Agreed, helps big time for football that high school is played Friday night's. Basketball is always competing against the high school sports.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

2011BisonAlumni
03-23-2014, 05:29 PM

That is a load of garbage. SDSU averaged more fans last year than NDSU. Brookings has 22,000 people. The FM metro area is over 200,000. NDSU also has approximately 2,000 more students then NDSU.

There is no excuse why we have this type of attendance. None.

NDSUstudent
03-23-2014, 05:34 PM

The BSA sucks, it drives fans away.

Not sure it even seats 4,000 fans comfortably. A lot of the seats just suck.

Can't wait to get into an arena that was actually built for basketball and not to be some giant practice facility.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-23-2014, 05:38 PM
That is a load of garbage. SDSU averaged more fans last year than NDSU. Brookings has 22,000 people. The FM metro area is over 200,000. NDSU also has approximately 2,000 more students then NDSU.

Thanks for ruining the point of this thread

JSUBison
03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

No, NDSU had better attendance, about 700 more. Not sure what the capacity is at the Scheels Center, so NDSU might drop to 3rd or so next year. But once the SHAC is complete, NDSU will outdraw SDSU by 1000. I'm willing to bet money on this, lol.

CAS4127
03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
No, NDSU had better attendance, about 700 more. Not sure what the capacity is at the Scheels Center, so NDSU might drop to 3rd or so next year. But once the SHAC is complete, NDSU will outdraw SDSU by 1000. I'm willing to bet money on this, lol.

Only if we are winning IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011BisonAlumni
03-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Yep you are correct. I was looking at last year's statistics.

However last year SDSU was drawing more per game than NDSU did this year.

Maybe the completion of the new BSA will help with attendance, but I guess I attended almost every basketball game I could while going to NDSU and the facility did not take away my enjoyment of watching NDSU play.

unbison
03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Only if we are winning IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All hail captain obvious

IBleedYellow
03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Yesterday's game went exactly how I was expecting: For how much we praise defense in football and how defense wins championships, I figured this is what the outcome of the game yesterday was going to be. I wish we could have played better, but you know what? DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A BISON. If you can't see how much respect that our university earned, and probably even MORE fans that will watch what our school is doing, just hoping that we can do some jigs for them.

We do it right here at North Dakota State, many universities in the country don't, we have something special, and it's awesome.

80ALUM
03-23-2014, 07:23 PM
I really enjoy Bison basketball. I have season tickets and get to as many games as possible given it involves traveling for the games. Weeknight games are difficult but if weather is not an issue we try to make it to the weekend games. We give away any tickets we are unable to use. What I really like about Bison basketball is that it has stayed a "pure" sport. By that I mean there aren't politicians using the games as a "picture opp", there is no paying a fee for pre-game parties and pep rallys that serve as an outlet for politicians, etc. to speak to a captive audience about a team they could care less about. I like that the majority of fans are NDSU alunmi. Bison basketball fans are a loyal group and I hope it stays that way.

BismarckBisonFan
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
I loved seeing Werner do that then he looked over at the bench and Saul said I don't give a shit!
Why would Saul say that??? More to it??

Strongman
03-24-2014, 04:15 AM

Great post. The attendance sucks and is the same as 1991. The Bison fans need to support more than the football team. Win or lose, there should be 5000 @ every game.

ZHerd
03-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Great post. The attendance sucks and is the same as 1991. The Bison fans need to support more than the football team. Win or lose, there should be 5000 @ every game.

It generally takes winning to build a fanbase since obviously winning is more fun to watch. Once people are fans they generally stick around. Look at what happened to football attendance. BBall will have to undergo they same thing and it will take success on court.

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I am a football fan.....but watching NDSU beat Oklahoma on TV was probably the absolute most exciting NDSU athletic event I have ever watched. It was classic. And made even better by a team of hard workers and a coach that is more genuine that almost any other coach in the tourney.

HoopsBison
03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
I am a football fan.....but watching NDSU beat Oklahoma on TV was probably the absolute most exciting NDSU athletic event I have ever watched. It was classic. And made even better by a team of hard workers and a coach that is more genuine that almost any other coach in the tourney.

Well said Wyobison...I know I couldn't wait to wear my bison gear on Friday. They sure did make us proud and represented NDSU wonderfully.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Back in the NCC days, nearly all of the conference games were on Friday and Saturday evenings which made it easier for some fans to attend.

TransAmBison
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
The last few weeks have been very exciting. It has been really cool to see how much positive press we have received, and it was fun to see how many people picked ups for the upset in the bracket. We were being talked about everywhere...and it was great seeing posts made about us on other boards such as Georgia Southern, and Sam Houston.

Saul & Co. earned this time in the sun and I couldn't be more proud of them. How much fun was last Thursday? Friday and Saturday leading up to the game was great. It was too bad we lost on Saturday, but that loss did nothing to change how proud I was of Bison Basketball this year.

Bison03
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
There was probably a worry about attendance the next two years since games will be played accross town in Scheels Arena. Maybe not for the general public, but student attendance for sure. What has been accomplished this year will definitely get fans out there to supports the team. That in addition to the fact of how much better a venue it is then the current BSA. Then in a couple years moving back on campus to the new arena, there will be huge surge of attendance because the venue and atmosphere will be significantly improved. Have a couple good seasons in the meantime and I like where Bison basketball is set up for in the near future.

StL Bison Fan
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM
There was probably a worry about attendance the next two years since games will be played accross town in Scheels Arena. Maybe not for the general public, but student attendance for sure. What has been accomplished this year will definitely get fans out there to supports the team. That in addition to the fact of how much better a venue it is then the current BSA. Then in a couple years moving back on campus to the new arena, there will be huge surge of attendance because the venue and atmosphere will be significantly improved. Have a couple good seasons in the meantime and I like where Bison basketball is set up for in the near future.
Maybe they should have shuttles for students. See how it goes. I have always wanted season tickets but those week nite games are tough as we drive 60 miles to Fargo. This year my kids will use the weekday ones I don't use so there will be butts in the seats. Problem solved.

Bisonator98
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Maybe they should have shuttles for students. See how it goes. I have always wanted season tickets but those week nite games are tough as we drive 60 miles to Fargo. This year my kids will use the weekday ones I don't use so there will be butts in the seats. Problem solved.

Pretty sure they will have shuttle buses for students. They may also draw fans in south Fargo and West Fargo that don't normally go to the games because they are much closer the 2 years in Scheels arena. Have to wait and see.

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2014, 05:13 PM
When Erv coached in the early 80s that BSA absolutely rocked for every game.

stevdock
03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure they will have shuttle buses for students. They may also draw fans in south Fargo and West Fargo that don't normally go to the games because they are much closer the 2 years in Scheels arena. Have to wait and see.

I know it sounds pathetic but that was the first thing I thought of. The scheels arena is right down the street from me so it will be much easier to get to some basketball games that I wouldn't normally go to.

JSUBison
03-25-2014, 02:20 AM
What does Scheels arena look like set up for BB? I couldn't find any pictures.

roadwarrior
03-25-2014, 02:27 AM

Has there ever been a basketball game there?

Tony Almeida
03-25-2014, 03:01 AM

Take a look at Ralston Arena home of Nebraska Omaha basketball (until their new arena is done)...it's a hockey arena about the same as the Scheels Arena and you should get a good sense of what it may look like.

Kermit
03-25-2014, 03:04 AM
Take a look at Ralston Arena home of Nebraska Omaha basketball (until their new arena is done)...it's a hockey arena about the same as the Scheels Arena and you should get a good sense of what it may look like.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/IW/IWZFSDPXJUNALGT.20130729213548.jpg

westnodak93bison
03-25-2014, 04:00 AM
What can they seat? 3-4k? Scheels Arena says 5k for hockey. Portable bleachers on the open end would probably be better. Good enough for 1 1/2 - 2yrs.

1998braves64
03-25-2014, 04:11 AM
Has there ever been a basketball game there?

Thought once there was a HS game or two there. Maybe with 2years of NDSU rental they can get their extra 5 sheets finally built!

Hammersmith
03-25-2014, 04:40 AM
What can they seat? 3-4k? Scheels Arena says 5k for hockey. Portable bleachers on the open end would probably be better. Good enough for 1 1/2 - 2yrs.

Got to believe seating for BB would be slightly more than hockey. They could use all the existing seating as is, plus potentially extra seating on the floor. Not saying all the sightlines would be the best, but I can't imagine there'd be any deal breakers. Just look to the UNO photos for proof.

http://unoalumni.org/image/Page-22-Arena.jpg

roadwarrior
03-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Those end zone seats are a long way from the court.

Hammersmith
03-25-2014, 05:17 AM

What was the Spokane Arena like in those areas? Seating maps show they did it a similar way.

1998braves64
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Website says 6000 for basketball in scheels arena

Hammerhead
03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
What was the Spokane Arena like in those areas? Seating maps show they did it a similar way.

It was the same kind of setup you see in most NBA arenas with the court in the center and rows that can extend out to the court and squeeze in a little to fit outside the boards around the hockey rink. I'll see if I have any better photos of the other end closer to our seats.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/MarchMadness/Seatview2_zps646c4511.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/gjhammer/media/MarchMadness/Seatview2_zps646c4511.jpg.html)

jacks1
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/IW/IWZFSDPXJUNALGT.20130729213548.jpg

That's a bad depiction of Ralston Arena. I've sat in the club seats of that end zone twice, and it isn't nearly that far away from the court...

wow
03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
NDSU is certainly a pleasure to compete against. Congrats on a great year, hopefully we can all build on this momentum. Who knows what the next 5-10 years will bring.

WYOBISONMAN
03-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Maybe your eyes are not the best,..... ;)

Bison03
03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet about the Oklahoma win. We just beat our third team that was ranked in the AP top 25. Oklahoma was ranked 21 in the AP Poll.