PDA

View Full Version : Washington State Job

Mr_Meanor
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
I have started to see Sauls name thrown around for the WSU job. I hope they look in a different direction.

1998braves64
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
I have started to see Sauls name thrown around for the WSU job. I hope they look in a different direction.

Nicole is happy and if she's happy the family is happy! With 41 million BSA Renovation should keep Saul happy! Or so I just read.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

Bison bison
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Riiiiiight.

Mr. Burgundy
03-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Nicole is happy and if she's happy the family is happy! With 41 million BSA Renovation should keep Saul happy! Or so I just read.

Hey Nicole, let me add a comma in there....Ok, so now you are happy. If he gets a job like this, more power to them. Great family, and they have earned it. NDSU is in a great position with a conference that is more and and more solid, a fantastic new facility coming, and the national notoriety of great programs and fan support. I hope Saul gets a great job when he is this hot.

1998braves64
03-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Hey Nicole, let me add a comma in there....Ok, so now you are happy. If he gets a job like this, more power to them. Great family, and they have earned it. NDSU is in a great position with a conference that is more and and more solid, a fantastic new facility coming, and the national notoriety of great programs and fan support. I hope Saul gets a great job when he is this hot.

Agreed was being slightly facetious... Ok maybe a lot... :) think you got that though...

HoopsBison
03-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Saul commented in his presser today that he has had no contact from Washington State about the position.

Having said that if they came a knocking Saul would certainly be interested. Were talking a lot more money and a solid conference in the Pac 12. And if a job like this comes, good for him. Hes earned it to get looks from other schools, would love to keep him at NDSU but also have to respect and appreciate his desire to move up the ladder.

Now having said that as well, Saul is completely focused on this run. Cant wait for tomorrow night!

kab1one
03-20-2014, 01:16 AM

Just like how coach bohl was happy here, and his wife had a nice little radio gig, and the kids were here.

When and extra million a year comes along (See what Tim Miles is making in the big time), Saul, it was great, thank you and good luck.

westnodak93bison
03-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Nothing wrong with advancing a career. Let's win a couple first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
03-20-2014, 02:17 AM
Gotta love Saul....

Q. We talked Monday night, I fly up here Tuesday, wake up this morning and read in the Spokane paper that they fired the Washington State coach and they're throwing your name out as a strong candidate. Is that just a product of success when your name gets tossed around for jobs like that?

COACH SAUL PHILLIPS: Yeah. I mean, it doesn't mean anything. I received no contact, I received no contact from anyone. And you know what? I really like my boss and I really like my school and if I was thinking about anything other than this group of guys right now, that would be about as selfish as you can get. Yeah, it's fun seeing your name in the paper. You got to understand we're up in Fargo, man I get on the Inforum, I get on KVLY, I got Bison Illustrated, but to see some national people talking about us, that's fun. And they're not just talking about me, that, our team did this.

As far as when we went in 2009 a lot of people, this is miles team you're winning with Miles' team, great, great, great. You know what? This is Dave Richmond's team, it is my team just as much as it was my team back then as it was Miles' team. We're a group. You can't do it alone. I certainly know after reading the CBS article on how I was the 53rd best player I couldn't get there by myself. How about that? You know what? The guys are all giving me heck about it. 53rd best player in the tournament. And I said, you know, I was like, yeah, boy, that's just not right. Then I kind of walked away going, 53, that's pretty high for me. That's not bad. Gave myself a little fist pump.

True story: One time it was late in the game my senior year, Bo comes over, Bo Ryan gets over in his crouch and the guys behind me are my buddies yelling, we want Saul, we want Saul. He leans over in front of me and he goes, hey, go see what they want.
(Laughter.)
So that really happened.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=97213

1998braves64
03-20-2014, 02:27 AM
Just like how coach bohl was happy here, and his wife had a nice little radio gig, and the kids were here.

When and extra million a year comes along (See what Tim Miles is making in the big time), Saul, it was great, thank you and good luck.

And you likely missed my dripping sarcasm.. I posted after Burgundy and stated I was being facetious...

Joshsoma
03-20-2014, 02:32 AM

Not buying it (for now, at least). Saul said he hadn't heard anything about it until he got to Spokane and hasn't been contacted by anyone. If Saul wants the job, let him have it. If he says "not interested" or if he's not even offered the job, then unless someone else picks him up, he'll be back in Fargo next fall.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=90300

Kinda related: Saul killed it at the press conference tonight

Mr_Meanor
03-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Not buying it (for now, at least). Saul said he hadn't heard anything about it until he got to Spokane and hasn't been contacted by anyone. If Saul wants the job, let him have it. If he says "not interested" or if he's not even offered the job, then unless someone else picks him up, he'll be back in Fargo next fall.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=90300

Kinda related: Saul killed it at the press conference tonight

I don't think Saul even considers this until the season is over but if WSU has interest I am sure Saul will look into it. I know a lot of the sports people in that area are throwing this name around but nobody knows what that AD is thinking at this moment.

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 02:48 AM
I don't think Saul even considers this until the season is over but if WSU has interest I am sure Saul will look into it. I know a lot of the sports people in that area are throwing this name around but nobody knows what that AD is thinking at this moment.

You guys are crazy! If Saul got a call right now for an interview, he would go to it. He would justify doing so by telling himself "Hey, the guys are sleeping, I've done what I can as a coach, and what they don't know won't hurt them."

It's called reality!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
03-20-2014, 02:57 AM
I'll take Saul at his word....

And you know what? I really like my boss and I really like my school and if I was thinking about anything other than this group of guys right now, that would be about as selfish as you can get.

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 03:20 AM

Me too ... Craig Bohl ...

Loud and Proud Bison fan
03-20-2014, 03:52 AM

I would trust Saul before Bohl... for a couple of reasons 1) Saul loves to talk and people that love to talk have a helluva time keeping quiet/ secrets on things and 2) I actually believe him when he says he loves this team. Bohl may have loved Brock and a few players out of 90 but I truly believe he and his team are as tight knit as it comes after watching him cry at senior day.

Edit also.. I have a hard time believing that WSU would hire a mid-major coach that has only made it to the big dance one year in a row. A school of that size has a heckuva athletic budget. Remember Miles went to CSU before the big time. There are too many other school's coaches to pouch, like St. Louis or maybe Green-bay, etc..

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 03:57 AM
I would trust Saul before Bohl... for a couple of reasons 1) Saul loves to talk and people that love to talk have a helluva time keeping quiet/ secrets on things and 2) I actually believe him when he says he loves this team. Bohl may have loved Brock and a few players out of 90 but I truly believe he and his team are as tight knit as it comes after watching him cry at senior day.

Bohl cried at sr day too!

Bison bison
03-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Saul's a good man and a good coach, but he'll move on to a better deal. That's just the nature of the game.

I don't think he'll be coaching Fargo next year.

westnodak93bison
03-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Some of you guys need to revisit reality. If someone approached you and offered you a million dollar raise you would be off like a prom dress. Little ole Hillsboro, Fargo, Bismarck etc would be in your rear view mirror.

NDSUstudent
03-20-2014, 05:09 AM
Some of you guys need to revisit reality. If someone approached you and offered you a million dollar raise you would be off like a prom dress. Little ole Hillsboro, Fargo, Bismarck etc would be in your rear view mirror.

I agree but Saul wouldn't pull a Bohl and that was my only point. His focus will be with the team for as long as their season lasts.

ndsubison1
03-20-2014, 05:22 AM
If we win a game Washington St will go after him for sure. I still feel he is gone no matter what

Hail bison
03-20-2014, 05:33 AM
If we win a game Washington St will go after him for sure. I still feel he is gone no matter what

Are you aware of any other open positions?

ndsubison1
03-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Are you aware of any other open positions?

BC, V-Tech, South Florida, Marshall, Rice, Bowling Green for now

Hail bison
03-20-2014, 05:42 AM
BC, V-Tech, South Florida, Marshall, Rice, Bowling Green for now

He did interview at Ball State right? Can't remember what year. You are probably right about him moving on. Good for him

75NOVA
03-20-2014, 06:17 AM
How about we get the checkbook out and deal with it now?

unbison
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
How about we get the checkbook out and deal with it now?
Are football fans really ready to pay our basketball coach more then our football coach because money wise that's what you are saying

kab1one
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree but Saul wouldn't pull a Bohl and that was my only point. His focus will be with the team for as long as their season lasts.

Exactly what they said about Coach Bohl. Its a business.

Use the Miles or McDermott model, NDSU, bigger program, bigger yet program.

How about the other coach from NDSU that is in Washington? Gioletti, he still around?

kab1one
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Are football fans really ready to pay our basketball coach more then our football coach because money wise that's what you are saying

What does NDSU get from the NCAA for making the NCAA? Is it a million bucks?

MN_BISON
03-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Exactly what they said about Coach Bohl. Its a business.

Use the Miles or McDermott model, NDSU, bigger program, bigger yet program.

How about the other coach from NDSU that is in Washington? Gioletti, he still around?

Pretty sure he's at Drake.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
03-20-2014, 01:08 PM

I read on the USA today that each win is a unit even the play in games counted. A unit is worth $1.5 million.
Also a team gets a unit, just for making the tournament.

Edit.. here is the article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/03/17/college-basketball-tournament-first-four-dayton-money-shares/6534223/

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 01:10 PM

I read on the USA today that each win is a point (or something like that it is called) even the play in games counted. A point was worth $1.5 million.

My understanding is that the money goes to the conference and is then divided up among the schools via some formula only BAudit would understand and or critique.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
03-20-2014, 01:18 PM
My understanding is that the money goes to the conference and is then divided up among the schools via some formula only BAudit would understand and or critique.

Here is from the article I posted...
"Each team gets a unit for making the tournament, and one for each subsequent win."
"......and the unit is worth, over six years, about $1.5 million dollars."

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Here is from the article I posted...
"Each team gets a unit for making the tournament, and one for each subsequent win."
"......and the unit is worth, over six years, about $1.5 million dollars."

I understand the "article" may state that, but, first, it's a news article (so don't assume it is correct or may only be partially correct) and, second, each conference has it's own rules that teams must abide by. Someone else will chime in and button this up for us.

Mayville Bison
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I understand the "article" may state that, but, first, it's a news article (so don't assume it is correct or may only be partially correct) and, second, each conference has it's own rules that teams must abide by. Someone else will chime in and button this up for us.

This article (yes I get the irony of the website name) says the same figure but says it's for the conference to divide. Pretty sure it's awarded to the conferences because they talk every year about how much money a team will leave on the table if they switch conferences - probably the reason why Wichita St will be in the MVC for a while if they make another Final 4 run.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/19/how-much-is-a-march-madness-bid-worth.aspx

kab1one
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM

So the fact Summitt league only gets one team in, we getting a smaller piece of the pie, then a conference with 2 or 3 teams in. Power conferences even get more.

If NDSU only get's 250k a year under this formula, that is very much when its billion plus pot.

oh well. Such is life on the prairie.

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
This article (yes I get the irony of the website name) says the same figure but says it's for the conference to divide. Pretty sure it's awarded to the conferences because they talk every year about how much money a team will leave on the table if they switch conferences - probably the reason why Wichita St will be in the MVC for a while if they make another Final 4 run.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/19/how-much-is-a-march-madness-bid-worth.aspx

And there we have it:

"Participation in each tournament round excluding the championship is worth what's known as a "unit share." For every unit share a team earns, its conference is awarded close to $250,000 a year over the next six years -- $1.5 million total. A team that loses in the first round, for example, has earned one unit share for its conference, worth $1.5 million over the next six years. A team that loses in the second round has earned twice this amount, and so on.
First given to conferences, the money is then distributed to individual teams. As Forbes points out, "some conferences equally split the revenue among all conference schools, while some provide a disproportionate share to the teams that were actually responsible for the "unit creation."

Bisonator98
03-20-2014, 02:07 PM
And there we have it:

"Participation in each tournament round excluding the championship is worth what's known as a "unit share." For every unit share a team earns, its conference is awarded close to $250,000 a year over the next six years -- $1.5 million total. A team that loses in the first round, for example, has earned one unit share for its conference, worth $1.5 million over the next six years. A team that loses in the second round has earned twice this amount, and so on.
First given to conferences, the money is then distributed to individual teams. As Forbes points out, "some conferences equally split the revenue among all conference schools, while some provide a disproportionate share to the teams that were actually responsible for the "unit creation."

So what does the Summit do, equal shares?

td577
03-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Edit also.. I have a hard time believing that WSU would hire a mid-major coach that has only made it to the big dance one year in a row. A school of that size has a heckuva athletic budget. Remember Miles went to CSU before the big time. There are too many other school's coaches to pouch, like St. Louis or maybe Green-bay, etc..

This has been going through my head a bit. I do think Saul will eventually move on to a bigger school and will celebrate the day he does, but I would think those bigger schools would want to see some more consistency. A couple of wins this year would certainly add more stock to his worth, but if I were an AD for a big school, I would like to see him get to the tourney a couple years in a row, at least. The crux here is that the more he wins, the more his value goes up so there might be someone willing to take a chance sooner rather than later. He took a Tim Miles recruited team to the dance. He has taken his own recruited team to the dance. He has shown when he has the talent, he can get the job done. I also look at the conference we are in and don't think it should be a five year turn around to build up again. Someone in this conference needs to step up and quit making it about striking gold with a player like Woodside, Wolters, or Braun. Not since Valparaiso and on a smaller level, Oral Roberts, has anyone in this conference built a program that wins year in and out.

So if I were a big time school looking for a next coach and if a mid-major coach was a possibility, I would want someone who has dominated their conference in recruiting and winning. NDSU has not been dominant. WSU has seen 5 trips in 34 years. They did make it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2008, but historically, they have been an average Pac 12 team. They have zero coaches with more than 7 years in since the 70s. Their last coach was a Washington native who won at the D2 level and then won at Portland State before being hired as the WSU coach. Ken Bone had a better resume then Saul, was a local guy, and couldn't win consistently. I have to think their next move has to be higher profile. I would be more inclined to make a hard run at Xavier's Chris Mack before Saul.

I think Saul will get a shot at a big time program. I just don't think it is right now. The more success NDSU has and even the success Tim Miles has, improves Saul's stock and with a couple more years of consistent winning, he will be a huge draw for a number of programs. I think the biggest worry would be if someone else was poached from Xavier or a Gregg Marshall type that it could leave openings in more lucrative programs then NDSU that do pay better and basketball has a much higher profile on campus.

1998braves64
03-20-2014, 05:14 PM
So what does the Summit do, equal shares?

Pretty sure it's equal from what I've heard in the past. This is why Summit is striving to increase their profile because if they get 2 teams in they double their money and hopefully if they get 2 teams in one is high enough to cause a bit of damage. NDSU winning one game or two would create a money ripple that lasts for 6 years.

Kujava23
03-20-2014, 07:20 PM
This has been going through my head a bit. I do think Saul will eventually move on to a bigger school and will celebrate the day he does, but I would think those bigger schools would want to see some more consistency. A couple of wins this year would certainly add more stock to his worth, but if I were an AD for a big school, I would like to see him get to the tourney a couple years in a row, at least. The crux here is that the more he wins, the more his value goes up so there might be someone willing to take a chance sooner rather than later. He took a Tim Miles recruited team to the dance. He has taken his own recruited team to the dance. He has shown when he has the talent, he can get the job done. I also look at the conference we are in and don't think it should be a five year turn around to build up again. Someone in this conference needs to step up and quit making it about striking gold with a player like Woodside, Wolters, or Braun. Not since Valparaiso and on a smaller level, Oral Roberts, has anyone in this conference built a program that wins year in and out.

So if I were a big time school looking for a next coach and if a mid-major coach was a possibility, I would want someone who has dominated their conference in recruiting and winning. NDSU has not been dominant. WSU has seen 5 trips in 34 years. They did make it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2008, but historically, they have been an average Pac 12 team. They have zero coaches with more than 7 years in since the 70s. Their last coach was a Washington native who won at the D2 level and then won at Portland State before being hired as the WSU coach. Ken Bone had a better resume then Saul, was a local guy, and couldn't win consistently. I have to think their next move has to be higher profile. I would be more inclined to make a hard run at Xavier's Chris Mack before Saul.

I think Saul will get a shot at a big time program. I just don't think it is right now. The more success NDSU has and even the success Tim Miles has, improves Saul's stock and with a couple more years of consistent winning, he will be a huge draw for a number of programs. I think the biggest worry would be if someone else was poached from Xavier or a Gregg Marshall type that it could leave openings in more lucrative programs then NDSU that do pay better and basketball has a much higher profile on campus.

I agree that a bigger school may want more consistency but some AD's roll the dice because they are desparate and go find a "HOT" name to make their alumni happy. I HOPE we don't lose Saul and he can take the program to another level where compete for conference championships year in year out, BUT also think with a WIN or TWO in this NCAA tournament that his paycheck will go UP!

Just casually looked at teams that had bad years in area that MIGHT be able to pull Saul away-----BIGGGGG MIGHT

DEPAUL---Big East, Purnell hasn't won there since been hired and have a great recruiting region--COULD that job pull him away??

Northern Illinois---looks like could use a boost in basketball program---COULD that job pull him away

Washington St. ---different recruiting region could be tough but a PAC 12 job would surely take him away

reformedUNDfan
03-20-2014, 09:08 PM

I think ndsu could be a top mid-major if it wanted to commit to it. Saul should be the highest paid coach at ndsu to start next year if they win a game.

CaBisonFan
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I'd be afraid of the job in Pullman. It's a weak link in the PAC-12. Still...if the money was big...I'd be gone.

GOBISON123
03-21-2014, 05:10 AM
If not Washington he is gone folks. Saul you did a heck of a job, simply outstanding, hate to see you leave.