PDA

View Full Version : USD fires Joey James

Hammersmith
03-11-2014, 05:10 PM
James was interim this year after Boots retired in September.

http://www.argusleader.com/interactive/article/20140311/UPDATES/140311008/USD-player-Joey-James-not-returning-We-knew-might-come-something-like-

DIBISON
03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Logical spot for Craig Smith, Nebraska assistant. I was hoping this wouldn't happen at USD because Smith would have been a top option at NDSU if Saul left.

tcbison
03-11-2014, 05:25 PM
I would think that Craig Smith is doing pretty well with Miles. His salary was reported at $160,000 and I bet it will be going up. Maybe I am wrong but he might want to stick with Miles for a while.

NDSUstudent
03-11-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't think USD can afford him.

Only Summit job I could see interesting Craig is NDSU. He has a good thing going with Tim.

Bison03
03-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I don't see Smith going anyhwere. He is pretty loyal to Miles and has been with him from Mayville St. to NDSU to Colorado St. to Nebraska. He probably has had opportunities to take jobs like this before but wisely turned them down. Hell, why wouldn't you ride the coat tails of a guy like Miles!

yukon
03-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I think Bison Nation wouldn't except Smith for one reason, he's a UND Grad!! Only Bison Nation would leave out a great coach because of where he went to school.

BlueBisonRock
03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I think Bison Nation wouldn't except Smith for one reason, he's a UND Grad!! Only Bison Nation would leave out a great coach because of where he went to school.

Although NDSU's experience with ADs would support taking that stance, I personally believe you are blowing smoke. In this case, his background would be tempered by his serving as Tim's mentee for years. However, it is highly likely that we will not see this path taken as Saul remains in the driver's seat and Smith seems happy with his current position.

JSUBison
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't know why they would fire the guy after just one year, he didn't do too bad. The yotes were 10-20 (5-11) last year, and this year they were 12-18 (6-8). What did they expect the guy to do with just one year?

Hammersmith
03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I don't know why they would fire the guy after just one year, he didn't do too bad. The yotes were 10-20 (5-11) last year, and this year they were 12-18 (6-8). What did they expect the guy to do with just one year?

I think it was the way Boots forced USD to give James the job for a year. Boots didn't tell his bosses that he was retiring until the last minute. It was a way to force them into appointing James as interim coach for a year and not look outside the program. With those kind of feelings going on from day one, James had to do more than just maintain the status quo.

Hammersmith
03-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Oops, looks like a little update is needed here. USD is saying James is free to apply for the job and they expect him to be a candidate. They just decided they wanted a national search. Of course that's probably effectively the same as firing him, but there it is. Also, he probably finished burning that bridge with a borderline tweet he put out after being informed of the decision: "Loyalty and commitment-what does that mean these days?"

MrAugustana
03-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately, as an Augie fan, Tom Billeter's name has come up with this one a few times. Would hate to see him go if USD is interested. A couple of other names that have been thrown out include Craig Smith (as mentioned here) and Ryan Miller, who, up until last night, was the associate head coach at Auburn under Tony Barbee. I'm sure they'll have a pretty good number of applicants. It'll definitely be interesting to see what unfolds in Vermillion.

BisonJD
03-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Stu Whitney (Argus Leader) tweeted this morning that "interviews will move fast" and includes Craig Smith, Ryan Miller, and Tom Billeter. Interesting list so far...I think Smith and Miller would both be homeruns, but each has a very different style and philosophy.

NDSUstudent
03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Stu Whitney (Argus Leader) tweeted this morning that "interviews will move fast" and includes Craig Smith, Ryan Miller, and Tom Billeter. Interesting list so far...I think Smith and Miller would both be homeruns, but each has a very different style and philosophy.

All of them would be great hires.

MrAugustana
03-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Looks like a slew of former NDSU coaches are in the mix for the USD job. According to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader's Stu Whitney:

Jeff Rutter, an assistant under Ray Giacoletti at Drake, is among the candidates for USD men's basketball job. Played at Winona State.

Mitchell native Ryan Miller has withdrawn his name from consideration for the USD men's basketball job.

USD looking for prior head coaching experience. Right now favorites appear to be Nebraska assistant Craig Smith and Augie's Tom Billeter.

Ryan Miller would have upgraded talent immediately but concern was whether he could run program efficiently over long-term.

My gut feeling on USD basketball job right now would be Craig Smith, with Billeter there to pounce on it if Smith decides to decline.

CAS4127
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I want Smith to hold off for a bit until we see what happend with Saul.

Leonardite
03-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Interesting that Rutter is Ray-Giac's assistant. Those two were the finalists when Giacoletti got the job here.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2014, 05:34 AM
I want Smith to hold off for a bit until we see what happend with Saul.

Smith will be my #1 choice whenever Saul leaves.

Hammersmith
03-21-2014, 05:39 AM
Smith will be my #1 choice whenever Saul leaves.

Honest question: Can we afford him? Isn't he making at least $25k more than Saul right now.

NDSUstudent
03-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Honest question: Can we afford him? Isn't he making at least $25k more than Saul right now.

I guess he really wants to become a head coach from what I've heard.

aces1180
03-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Good point. But if we can't afford him, how would USD do it?

BisonJD
03-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Craig Smith will take over the Yotes. Announcement coming tomorrow. Great hire.

NDSUstudent
03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Craig Smith will take over the Yotes. Announcement coming tomorrow. Great hire.

Really great hire. Guy is a winner.

Tatanka
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Good for USD, good for the conference. I think I just heard the sound of butts puckering from Brookings.

JackJD
03-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Not the case, Tanaka.

Tatanka
03-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Not the case, Tanaka.

they should be.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

jacksfan29
03-24-2014, 02:52 AM
they should be.

Why? Heck, he has history with the Bison; wasn't he there when Mile's began the 5 year plan? Suck for 3 years, decent the 4th, make the tourney the 5th. Rinse, repeat, start all over again.

ndsubison1
03-24-2014, 03:48 AM
Why? Heck, he has history with the Bison; wasn't he there when Mile's began the 5 year plan? Suck for 3 years, decent the 4th, make the tourney the 5th. Rinse, repeat, start all over again.

you got a win in the dance? :biggrin:

NDSUstudent
03-24-2014, 03:52 AM

Well we beat Wisconsin and Marquette in those "suck" years.

Tatanka
03-24-2014, 04:10 AM

so, what's the GGTB plan, exactly?

Bison bison
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM

You forgot total domination of the Jacks.

HoopsBison
03-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Good for USD and big CONGRATS to Craig, absolute terriffic hire.

DePereBisonFan
03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Good for USD, good for the conference.

This is indeed good for the conference. The three Dakota schools and UNO are really going to make a good base camp in the Summit League. If our conference builds on the tournament success of this year, we could eventually be a 2-bid league.

Jelo
03-26-2014, 01:20 AM
Good video link:

With the hiring of Nebraska's assistant basketball coach Craig Smith as USD's head basketball coach on Monday, Nebraska's head coach Tim Miles has some thoughts (and a few warnings) about Coach Smith.

https://twitter.com/robrhodesmd/status/448603005374300160

1998braves64
03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Speaking of Twitter how come Saul hasn't tweeted since July 2009!!? Did NDSU put clamps on that?

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

aces1180
03-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Speaking of Twitter how come Saul hasn't tweeted since July 2009!!? Did NDSU put clamps on that?

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

My guess is he just didn't care enough about it to continue using it.