PDA

View Full Version : MSN via Fox Sports: 10 "Giant Killers" No One Wants To Face in March

Rynomite
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Not a regular poster in this department, but this was the on my MSN homepage this morning!

http://msn.foxsports.com/south/photos/analysis-10-giant-killers-to-watch-for-ncaa-tourney-030214

NDSUguy
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Not a regular poster in this department, but this was the on my MSN homepage this morning!

http://msn.foxsports.com/south/photos/analysis-10-giant-killers-to-watch-for-ncaa-tourney-030214

Interesting that the writer thought that NDSU would get an at-large bid if it lost in the Summit tournament!?!? 2-bid league?

unbison
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
He said we lost to Norte dame must have saw the schedule and thought you know who was the fighting irish

tcbison
03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
He said we lost to Norte dame must have saw the schedule and thought you know who was the fighting irish

Maybe it changed but it says NDSU beat Notre Dame and also lost to Notre Dame.

BYZEN
03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Maybe it changed but it says NDSU beat Notre Dame and also lost to Notre Dame.

I can live with that....

Bison 4 Life
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
At Large? I don't think the committee is that forward-thinking.

bisonaudit
03-06-2014, 02:22 PM
At Large? I don't think the committee is that forward-thinking.

I don't think we good enough.

Bison"FANatic"
03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Hopefully we don't have to worry about it and take care of business in Sioux Falls and not leave it up to them. The way this team has been playing Defense especially the last 3 games it is nasty though. The help defense rotations and filling of passing lanes away from the ball has been tremendous. I don't think I have seen a NDSU D play at the level these guys are playing right now.

Offense it is pick your poison outside or inside it is covered. You can't sag off Brown this year as he will make you pay and as long as Tray keeps it respectable from outside you can't sag off him either. The things that I cringe at and could get us in trouble, Foul trouble, Tray going cold from outside, A team that has a amazing night from 3 against us. We can probably overcome one of the 3 but anymore than that will be our downfall.

If we were in a different league this team would definitely be in the talk for at large and may even be more than we think in The Summit this year. The Summit of 7 years ago is not the Summit of Today.

VanClubPres
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah I hate to doubt our team and chances, but that was my first thought also. No way we get an At Large bid.

Let's go cut down some nets.

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't believe we'd get an at-large simply because our resume isn't impressive enough. Need big wins in our position to show the committee and we just didn't have enough of those, partly because of the schedule and the conference.

NDSUstudent
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
If we had taken down So Miss we would be in the discussion. It is hard to build an at-larger worthy profile without a top 50 win, Mid-Tennessee did it last year but that is is about it.

Right now USM's win over us is keeping them in the at-large discussion.

TILIS-BisonFan
03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
If we had taken down So Miss we would be in the discussion. It is hard to build an at-larger worthy profile without a top 50 win, Mid-Tennessee did it last year but that is is about it.

I think this is pretty much spot on

Herd
03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Name a top 40 RPI that won't make the tournament if they do not get an auto? NDSU would be it likely. A top 40 should put you squarely in, but . . .

I guess in all honesty, we are 44, and in the 40-50 range, there will likely be some teams that are not in. Like, I dont think that NE 41 and MN 50 both get in.

TNbison
03-07-2014, 07:39 PM
NDSU at 41 per NCAA RPI updated today

bisonaudit
03-07-2014, 07:42 PM
NDSU at 41 per NCAA RPI updated today

If we don't win the tournament that will go down. We're not getting in if we don't win the tournament.

NDSUstudent
03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
A team really needs a top 50 win to get an at-large, a win of that caliber shows the committee that you can beat an NCAA tournament team. Last year MTSU got in with one top 100 win but it was a top 50 win against a team that was also in the NCAA tournament.

Jacks02
03-07-2014, 08:14 PM

I'd argue your bad loss to RPI 220 UND will do more to keep you home than the loss to So Miss will.

CAS4127
03-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd argue your bad loss to RPI 220 UND will do more to keep you home than the loss to So Miss will.

That game was early and the loss meant nothing! Go back and read the gameday thread!

NDSUstudent
03-07-2014, 08:22 PM

If we had beaten UND we would still be in the exact same place, just with a better RPI but no real wins that are going to wow the committee.

Top 50 wins are massive, it is the single most important category as far as at-large selection is concerned. If you have none it is hard to build an argument that you should get an at-larger since you are going up against schools that have multiple top 50 wins.

Hail bison
03-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Only if we don't win the tournament and I think we WILL win it

NDSUstudent
03-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Some of other sites I look at are now saying similar things about our Southern Miss loss.

That said if we take care of business in SF like we should none of it matters.

90 BISON
03-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Personally I think it is a both and thing. We needed to beat UN_ to keep a bad loss off of our resume, and we needed the So Miss win to add a good win to our resume.

Strongman
03-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Hopefully we don't have to worry about it and take care of business in Sioux Falls and not leave it up to them. The way this team has been playing Defense especially the last 3 games it is nasty though. The help defense rotations and filling of passing lanes away from the ball has been tremendous. I don't think I have seen a NDSU D play at the level these guys are playing right now.

Offense it is pick your poison outside or inside it is covered. You can't sag off Brown this year as he will make you pay and as long as Tray keeps it respectable from outside you can't sag off him either. The things that I cringe at and could get us in trouble, Foul trouble, Tray going cold from outside, A team that has a amazing night from 3 against us. We can probably overcome one of the 3 but anymore than that will be our downfall.

If we were in a different league this team would definitely be in the talk for at large and may even be more than we think in The Summit this year. The Summit of 7 years ago is not the Summit of Today.

There is ZERO chance NDSU will get an at large bid. Honestly, if they cannot win 2 games after a 1st round bye and #1 seed, they don't deserve to make the Big Dance. NDSU is the favorite to beat Denver in the semis and go on to win the championship. It will be a minor upset and let down if they don't win the Summit title.

In the future, we need to stop scheduling Valley City State (embarrassing) and schedule a couple more quality nonconference opponents. That way at least NDSU would have a shot to get an at large bid if they post a similar record as this year.