PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Allows Four Ineligible Teams to Compete at Conference Tournament

NDSUstudent
03-03-2014, 11:26 PM
The SWAC never ceases to amaze me...

Last season, only seven teams played in the SWAC tournament as three teams were ineligible for the NCAA tournament due to APR penalties.

This year, the league has decided to let every team play in the postseason tournament -- including four teams that are banned from the NCAA tournament for 2013-14.

According to USA Today, the 10 school presidents voted to include the ineligible teams: Southern, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Mississippi Valley State and Grambling.

Southern will be the top seed in the conference tournament, but they cannot play in the NCAA tournament. As a result, the NCAA released a statement regarding what would happen in the event one of the four ineligible teams wins the conference tournament.

"The conference tournaments will still determine the automatic berths into both NCAA championships. The eligible team that advances furthest in the conference tournaments will receive the automatic berth to the NCAA championships. In the event of a tie (for example, all tournament-eligible teams are eliminated in the same round), the automatic berth will go to the highest-seeded team."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24461980/swac-allows-four-ineligible-teams-in-conference-tournament

wow
03-04-2014, 12:54 AM
The SWAC never ceases to amaze me...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24461980/swac-allows-four-ineligible-teams-in-conference-tournament

WTF NCAA. I mean, honestly WTF.

This would have been great info for the Summit to have prior to lining up a 7 team tournament.

HandoEX
03-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Unreal!!!!!

NDSUstudent
03-04-2014, 01:01 AM
WTF NCAA. I mean, honestly WTF.

This would have been great info for the Summit to have prior to lining up a 7 team tournament.

I don't think it would make a difference, no way the Summit lets an ineligible team compete.

Bison03
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
If I were the NCAA, I would just ignore their conference tournament and just take the highest ranked elligible team. WHat a cluster that conference is.

Hammerhead
03-11-2014, 09:20 PM
SWAC is at the bottom of the Sagarin Ratings

Big 10 is #1 at 84.41
Summit is # 14 at 71.7
SWAC is #36 at 61.48

NDSUstudent
03-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Grambling State beats Jackson State, so one of the ineligible teams has moved on.

tjbison
03-12-2014, 12:31 PM
If I were the NCAA, I would just ignore their conference tournament and just take the highest ranked elligible team. WHat a cluster that conference is.

or eliminate them and let a conference like the MVC Horizon or Summit get 2 teams in that could actually compete with a good team

Tatanka
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
SWAC is at the bottom of the Sagarin Ratings

Big 10 is #1 at 84.41
Summit is # 14 at 71.7
SWAC is #36 at 61.48

someone has to keep the big fluffy afloat...

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.