PDA

View Full Version : Record broken 3 times in 3 weeks!

roadwarrior
02-23-2014, 03:45 AM
The North Dakota State 4x400m relay team of freshman Morgan Milbrath, senior Ashley Tingelstad, junior Ashley Heinze and junior Paige Stratioti broke the school record for the third time in 21 days on Saturday afternoon, running the nation's ninth-fastest time at Notre Dame's Alex Wilson Invitational.

http://gobison.com/news/2014/2/22/WTF_0222140725.aspx

The coaches decided this week to send only these four women to the Notre Dame meet, to give them another chance to qualify for the NCAA championships. Good call coach and great job by the women!

Castor Troy
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
The North Dakota State 4x400m relay team of freshman Morgan Milbrath, senior Ashley Tingelstad, junior Ashley Heinze and junior Paige Stratioti broke the school record for the third time in 21 days on Saturday afternoon, running the nation's ninth-fastest time at Notre Dame's Alex Wilson Invitational.

http://gobison.com/news/2014/2/22/WTF_0222140725.aspx

The coaches decided this week to send only these four women to the Notre Dame meet, to give them another chance to qualify for the NCAA championships. Good call coach and great job by the women!

I couldn't find any video on this, but I will see Ryan today and I am going to ask him about splits. They are cutting off huge chunks of time so someone is tearing it up!

tony
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I've said it many times: the 4x400 is the King Of Track Events. I figure that's why it's the last event of the meet. What this team is doing is incredible.

3:34. That's 214 seconds. That's an average split of 53.5. To put that in perspective, Ashley Tingelstad has the top time ever at NDSU for the indoor 400m, 53.72. They're all tearing it up :)

NFH Schlüssel
02-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Since you bought it up...

Why do 4x400 relay runners run faster outside than indoors?

tony
02-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Since you bought it up...

Why do 4x400 relay runners run faster outside than indoors?

Indoor tracks are smaller so there are more corners to navigate and that constant change of direction slows people down.

Castor Troy
02-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I've said it many times: the 4x400 is the King Of Track Events. I figure that's why it's the last event of the meet. What this team is doing is incredible.

3:34. That's 214 seconds. That's an average split of 53.5. To put that in perspective, Ashley Tingelstad has the top time ever at NDSU for the indoor 400m, 53.72. They're all tearing it up :)

My guess is that Stratioti and Tinglestad went mid-52s and the other 2 went somewhere around upper 55. If I am wrong and Morgan was one of the faster legs, then we are talking about an Adrian Peterson-type of miraculous recovery.

tony
02-23-2014, 04:39 PM
My guess is that Stratioti and Tinglestad went mid-52s and the other 2 went somewhere around upper 55. If I am wrong and Morgan was one of the faster legs, then we are talking about an Adrian Peterson-type of miraculous recovery.

Wasn't Morgan's injury a hamstring pull? Not saying it's not serious, but she's run the 200 in 24.47 this season which seems to indicate she has some serious speed on tap.

Castor Troy
02-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Wasn't Morgan's injury a hamstring pull? Not saying it's not serious, but she's run the 200 in 24.47 this season which seems to indicate she has some serious speed on tap.

I think you're correct about the hamstring. I am thinking of Levin. I spoke with Ryun and he said that both Stratioti and Tinglestad ran mid 52s and Heinze ran 54.5. So Morgan was around 56 or so. Ryun was actually in the middle of clinic presentation when he got the text about the 3:34. He told the high school coaches in the room and their jaws dropped.

semobison
02-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Great job by the women 4x400, IMO the best event in T&F! Milbrath had a severe hamstring injury her senior year in HS and it is great to see her getting back to form. The 53.31 she ran as a freshman in high school in 2010 at the state meet is still faster than NDSU's current school record! This relay team may have a chance of scoring at nationals!

roadwarrior
02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
This trip almost didn't happen. Coach Godfrey explained at lunch on Thursday. The original flight was cancelled on Wednesday. Ryun worked with the airline and found an alternate route, only to have that cancelled shortly after booking it. The airline then came up with a third option which would have cost $8,000 more than the original tickets. At that point Ryun was going to tell the women that they were not going. Thursday morning he worked with a local travel agent, and they managed to book a flight to Chicago but then they had to drive the remaining leg to South Bend.

Buffalo.Rider
02-24-2014, 06:30 AM
I think you're correct about the hamstring. I am thinking of Levin. I spoke with Ryun and he said that both Stratioti and Tinglestad ran mid 52s and Heinze ran 54.5. So Morgan was around 56 or so. Ryun was actually in the middle of clinic presentation when he got the text about the 3:34. He told the high school coaches in the room and their jaws dropped.

Four 400s in 52.5 seconds is a 3:30.
If S and T ran mid 52s and H ran 54.5, then M ran about a 54.5 to 55.
When or if M is healed completely and back in form, she will be a 51 second 400m runner, maybe faster. As someone noted here, she ran 53.31 (against Roesler who ran 53.25) four years ago as a freshman in highschool. So not even taking into account what the others might do, there is a lot of potential yet for significant improvements.

Castor Troy
02-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Four 400s in 52.5 seconds is a 3:30.
If S and T ran mid 52s and H ran 54.5, then M ran about a 54.5 to 55.
When or if M is healed completely and back in form, she will be a 51 second 400m runner, maybe faster. As someone noted here, she ran 53.31 (against Roesler who ran 53.25) four years ago as a freshman in highschool. So not even taking into account what the others might do, there is a lot of potential yet for significant improvements.

I am not sure about 51 or faster but certainly around where she was a freshman. She needs to run more aggressive like she used to.

Buffalo.Rider
02-25-2014, 03:27 AM
I am not sure about 51 or faster but certainly around where she was a freshman. She needs to run more aggressive like she used to.

Time will tell. Roesler has run 51 and change for a 4x400 split (she never runs an open 400m) and Milbrath is arguably better. If Milbrath can get her confidence back ... and not have 'injuries', distractions, people telegraphing to her that it can't be done, insecurities, and so on in the back of her mind ... I think she will get there.

We will see. More mental than physical once she is fully healed, in my opinion.

semobison
02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Morgan is just getting her feet wet in college competition. She is off to a pretty good start in her frosh indoor season. It took Roesler a couple of years at Oregon to set new PR's and Morgan will get hers eventually....Can the 4x400 place at nationals?

Castor Troy
02-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Morgan is just getting her feet wet in college competition. She is off to a pretty good start in her frosh indoor season. It took Roesler a couple of years at Oregon to set new PR's and Morgan will get hers eventually....Can the 4x400 place at nationals?

Yes they can place for sure. But once again it is up to Morgan. H einze is from Moorhead and is not as decorated as Morgan but she is running well. The other 2 are tearing it up.

admin
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
http://www.flotrack.org/video/736229-W-4x400-H02#.Uw37w_ldW_H

Looks like Morgan ran the first leg in about 55. 300 meter track, not banked.

Wow, Ashley Tingelstad and Paige Stratioti ran very, very strong legs, but Heinze and Milbrath weren't too shabby either (their splits would be top 10 times for NDSU, I'm sure.)

semobison
02-26-2014, 04:17 PM
http://www.flotrack.org/video/736229-W-4x400-H02#.Uw37w_ldW_H

Looks like Morgan ran the first leg in about 55. 300 meter track, not banked.

Wow, Ashley Tingelstad and Paige Stratioti ran very, very strong legs, but Heinze and Milbrath weren't too shabby either (their splits would be top 10 times for NDSU, I'm sure.)

When taking splits in the 4x4 the lead runner usually has a disadvantage because she is the only runner who doesn't get a running start. That being said, the other runners need to be tactical, trying to avoid passing on the curve. I love that race!

Castor Troy
02-26-2014, 09:53 PM
When taking splits in the 4x4 the lead runner usually has a disadvantage because she is the only runner who doesn't get a running start. That being said, the other runners need to be tactical, trying to avoid passing on the curve. I love that race!

The other part of this is that because it is a 300 meter track, it makes it difficult to take accurate splits.

Buffalo.Rider
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Just checked the Track Reporting System for the colleges ....
http://www.tfrrs.org/lists/1148.html?standard_event_hnd=73&gender=f

The deadline for qualifying times for the NCAA meet is March 3. Teams from the Big 10, Big 12, SEC and the West Coast have all submitted their best times from 3/1 and 3/2 ... and NDSU's 4 x 400 time is still sitting in 9th place. I suppose it is possible that some schools have not submitted times yet, but at this point, it looks like NDSU will be one of the top 12, so will get a spot in the indoor NCAA Div I championship. Good luck to all you young women. Go get 'em.

roadwarrior
03-03-2014, 09:33 PM
The relay team has qualified for the NCAA meet with the 9th fastest time.

missingnumber7
03-15-2014, 02:24 AM
For anyone interested NCAA indoor is on ESPN3