PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State FBS Rumors

riceweb
02-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I know this isn't a big shock to anyone, and I'm not sure there's any validity to this, but there's a post on Missouri State's 247sports board about a potential move to the FBS:

For what it's worth, the University Ambassadors have been instructed via Smart to tell potential students that we are looking to move up in football

http://missouristate.247sports.com/Board/59468/Realignment-talk-24419518/3

I think their fans believe an invite to the SBC is imminent.

HerdBot
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I know this isn't a big shock to anyone, and I'm not sure there's any validity to this, but there's a post on Missouri State's 247sports board about a potential move to the FBS:

http://missouristate.247sports.com/Board/59468/Realignment-talk-24419518/3

I think their fans believe an invite to the SBC is imminent.

I think the D2 Champions in Missouri could probably beat Misery State and would be a good replacement.

EndZoneQB
02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
I think the D2 Champions in Missouri could probably beat Misery State and would be a good replacement.

Yay! Trading a state school for a directional school.

Does this likely mean that JMU will end up there too?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
02-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Oh, for pete's sake, if Missery State moves up to the Sun Belt, we should be playing either one of the Big's.

If SHSU, JMU, and MSU all move up, we need to seriously get the hell out of FCS. No more excuses.

StL Bison Fan
02-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Travel down there this year and you'll see how foolish this is to even talk about them doing this.

56BISON73
02-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Travel down there this year and you'll see how foolish this is to even talk about them doing this.

Yeah this is funny.

NDSUstudent
02-05-2014, 02:55 AM

The Sun Belt wants JMU but it looks like JMU is going to hold out for CUSA or MAC.

Sun Belt wants to add a 12th school and it seems like MSU is #2 on their list. Their basketball program could dominate the Belt.

HerdBot
02-05-2014, 03:00 AM
Oh, for pete's sake, if Missery State moves up to the Sun Belt, we should be playing either one of the Big's.

If SHSU, JMU, and MSU all move up, we need to seriously get the hell out of FCS. No more excuses.

Yeah our stadium issue seems irrelevant when Sam Houston and Misery State draw like a D3 school

North Side
02-05-2014, 04:15 AM
has every FCS at FBS rumors at some point?

NDSU_grad
02-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Don't let the name fool you. Missouri State is a directional school. They changed their name from SW Missouri State not too long ago.

wow
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't let the name fool you. Missouri State is a directional school. They changed their name from SW Missouri State not too long ago.

Early/mid 90's. They changed the name about the time they and UNI left the Summit (MidContinent back then), if I remember correctly.

riceweb
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
has every FCS at FBS rumors at some point?

Pretty much. Seems like there are going to be a lot of broke athletic departments soon with all the moves up. New expenses, but no new revenues (how's that move working out for you, UMass?)

IndyBison
02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Pretty much. Seems like there are going to be a lot of broke athletic departments soon with all the moves up. New expenses, but no new revenues (how's that move working out for you, UMass?)

I don't believe the no new revenue is true. I believe they get a slice of a much bigger pie. It may not be enough to cover additional expenses, but it is likely more.

Bison"FANatic"
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't believe the no new revenue is true. I believe they get a slice of a much bigger pie. It may not be enough to cover additional expenses, but it is likely more.

And they also get a higher payout for the guarantee football games but I think there will be a major bubble in Athletic Departments affording it.

missingnumber7
02-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Missouri State moving up would have to be losing revenue. They would be losing a slice of the pie from the Missouri Valley. The SBC doesn't have near the hoops exposure as the Valley and even with the TV money from football. Pair that with upgrading their football stadium with crappy attendance, I don't see it. Moving up has changed from quality football teams to schools moving for money. Proving more and more that the NCAA is not about students and more about money.

IndyBison
02-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Missouri State moving up would have to be losing revenue. They would be losing a slice of the pie from the Missouri Valley. The SBC doesn't have near the hoops exposure as the Valley and even with the TV money from football. Pair that with upgrading their football stadium with crappy attendance, I don't see it. Moving up has changed from quality football teams to schools moving for money. Proving more and more that the NCAA is not about students and more about money.
That money could be creating more opportunities for students though. Outside of a few coaches at the very high profile schools in a couple sports, nobody is getting rich off college athletics (maybe a few construction companies who get the stadium contracts). Every employee at the NCAA is underpaid for the jobs they are doing and could make a lot more money doing things in other companies. Most athletics staffs at most schools are in a similar situation. A lot of the money generated by football and basketball is used to pay for travel, equipment, facilities for all the other sports. It may allow a school to hire a couple more coaches for softball or track. It may allow them to build a new arena for volleyball.

This is an entirely different situation than a company that is trying to generate more money so it can make more profits for investors or owners. The athletic departments are trying to raise more money so they can spend more or ease stress on their budgets.

missingnumber7
02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
That money could be creating more opportunities for students though. Outside of a few coaches at the very high profile schools in a couple sports, nobody is getting rich off college athletics (maybe a few construction companies who get the stadium contracts). Every employee at the NCAA is underpaid for the jobs they are doing and could make a lot more money doing things in other companies. Most athletics staffs at most schools are in a similar situation. A lot of the money generated by football and basketball is used to pay for travel, equipment, facilities for all the other sports. It may allow a school to hire a couple more coaches for softball or track. It may allow them to build a new arena for volleyball.

This is an entirely different situation than a company that is trying to generate more money so it can make more profits for investors or owners. The athletic departments are trying to raise more money so they can spend more or ease stress on their budgets.

It seems alot like a government entity where you are trying to stay even or just above and if your balance at the end of the year is 0 you have had a tremendously successful year.

I am just curious if the money that they would get from being FBS in football would offset or outpace the money they were getting from having a bigger more successful slice of the bball pie in the Valley.

Bison bison
02-05-2014, 04:20 PM
FBS?

They should drop football.

JSUBison
02-05-2014, 04:44 PM

They wouldn't leave the Valley if they went FBS. Most likely they would be a Sun Belt FB only school like Idaho is.

missingnumber7
02-05-2014, 05:06 PM
They wouldn't leave the Valley if they went FBS. Most likely they would be a Sun Belt FB only school like Idaho is.

I forgot that SB was allowing that now. That makes sense, but I still think its a joke. When the NCAA required a min attendance and held to it you didn't see as many teams fail in FBS, now you see team struggle because they don't have the base of revenue from attendance.

NDSUstudent
02-05-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm not sure about that, MSU's value is their hoops program. I think they want them to be all-in.