PDA

View Full Version : NDSU will not play Montana early for ESPN FCS showcase

CentennialBison
01-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Please delete if this has been posted before. Does anyone have confirmation that this true?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4661847

It's long been assumed almost any FCS program would go out of its way to garner a nationally televised game, but the biggest non-conference matchup for potential ratings - Montana at North Dakota State - is considered a no-go.

NDSU, which in 2014 will pursue a record fourth straight FCS national title, has made the difficult choice not to pursue playing Montana on Aug. 23 because it would mean first-year head coach Chris Klieman would open with that matchup and then come back with a trip to Iowa State one week later. NDSU wants to spread out those two games, so Montana's visit to the Fargodome is expected to remain on Sept. 20.

silkamilkamonico
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
NDSU said no?

CentennialBison
01-31-2014, 06:44 PM
NDSU said no?
Yes, seems like it unless someone can tell us why outside of the news article.

tjbison
01-31-2014, 06:49 PM
I heard neither could/would make it work

but who knows, I'm ok with whatever they decide

coldspot
01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Maybe it has to do with the fargodome being booked for August 23rd. Some chick with big cans that can kinda sing.

sent from your mom's phone

Bison 4 Life
01-31-2014, 07:02 PM
Maybe it has to do with the fargodome being booked for August 23rd. Some chick with big cans that can kinda sing.

she can sing, her songs are just terrible. The cans make up for it.

KSBisonFan
01-31-2014, 07:47 PM
she can sing, her songs are just terrible. The cans make up for it.

Rosanne Barr is gonna rock the FFD?

Hammerhead
01-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Rosanne can't sing.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/492170/26730538.jpg

Rosanne Barr is gonna rock the FFD?

oldmantutters
02-01-2014, 12:43 AM
EWU sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tatanka
02-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Ewu aspires to suck.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

EndZoneQB
02-01-2014, 02:07 AM
That really hurts the concert is the same time. Really hurts. You know how much people love watching those first football games of the season...

perthbison
02-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Rosanne Barr is gonna rock the FFD?No. She has barrels.

Bison 4 Life
02-01-2014, 03:56 AM
EWU sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They don't suck but no GD way are casual football fans going to watch that abomination of a field for more than 5 minutes. Especially with all those red and orange helmets on it. Jeez.

ndsubison1
02-01-2014, 09:08 AM
:facepalm: for having concert over this. idc how good looking katy perry is...

coldspot
02-01-2014, 02:02 PM
I bet the concert was in the works well before the football game was brought up. I wonder which one makes more money for the fargodome

wilson
02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
:facepalm: for having concert over this. idc how good looking katy perry is...

They are not choosing a Katy Perry concert over a football game. The concert was there first. The football game is still on, just on the origianl planned date. As much as I love football, I would probably facepalm the FFD if they told Katy Perry "Go home, Montana's coming this day now." Having Perry at the FFD is kind of a big deal, whether you like her or not. Fargo's pretty lucky to get the national talent they do. If they were to cut Katy Perry, that would send a bad message to other big name acts. I live near Rochester, and they get nobody. At all.

Of course if you were just joking, then never mind me.

SDbison
02-01-2014, 03:09 PM
What sucks is the high school stadium and fan support that EWU will provide to represent FCS on national TV.........makes FCS look like DII or DIII. Too bad NDSU can't get the Sept Montana game shown on one of the ESPN channels or Fox Sports1. How about national coverage for the Iowa State game?........NDSU goes for #5 in a row over FBS! All the drama to end last season with NDSU's 3 peat and losing staff to Wyoming.

roadwarrior
02-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I would guess the dome makes a LOT more money on a big concert.

marenlee
02-01-2014, 03:57 PM
What sucks is the high school stadium and fan support that EWU will provide to represent FCS on national TV.........makes FCS look like DII or DIII. Too bad NDSU can't get the Sept Montana game shown on one of the ESPN channels or Fox Sports1. How about national coverage for the Iowa State game?........NDSU goes for #5 in a row over FBS! All the drama to end last season with NDSU's 3 peat and losing staff to Wyoming.

I'm thinking our chances are pretty decent for FS1 coverage. They specialize in Big12/Pac12 so let's cross our fingers for that.

SDbison
02-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I would guess the dome makes a LOT more money on a big concert. This game possibility was talked about quite some time ago.......since the concert was just announced I doubt the events were ever in competition to get the Aug 23 date. Sounds like NDSU was against this from the beginning due to putting so much in two weeks for a team with lots of new players. It was simply first come first served to schedule the dome for an event.

In a separate comment, Fargo is so far ahead of Sioux Falls for getting all sorts of top notch concerts. I don't care about Katy Perry, Pink, etc. but it is awesome to see their fans support events like that in Fargo........20,000 plus makes more acts schedule their tour stops. Seems country and rock does well in Fargo too. I have gone to dozens of rock concerts at the fargodome. Sioux Falls is building an event center that will have 13,500 capacity, but based on attendance in the past the only concerts here that will sell out are country acts.

BlueBisonRock
02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
They are not choosing a Katy Perry concert over a football game. The concert was there first. The football game is still on, just on the origianl planned date. As much as I love football, I would probably facepalm the FFD if they told Katy Perry "Go home, Montana's coming this day now." Having Perry at the FFD is kind of a big deal, whether you like her or not. Fargo's pretty lucky to get the national talent they do. If they were to cut Katy Perry, that would send a bad message to other big name acts. I live near Rochester, and they get nobody. At all.

Of course if you were just joking, then never mind me.

Come on now. Rochester has the Bee Gee Tribute night coming up as well as the free concerts in the park series in the summer. And if that don't float your boat, there is always the Treasure Island concerts with Joan Jett as well as Air Supply coming up. With a little luck, we will see Rodney Carrington again. ;)

:hide:

80ALUM
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
How lucky are the schools that have their own stadium and don't have to deal with sharing for community events?

EndZoneQB
02-01-2014, 05:41 PM
This game possibility was talked about quite some time ago.......since the concert was just announced I doubt the events were ever in competition to get the Aug 23 date. Sounds like NDSU was against this from the beginning due to putting so much in two weeks for a team with lots of new players. It was simply first come first served to schedule the dome for an event.

In a separate comment, Fargo is so far ahead of Sioux Falls for getting all sorts of top notch concerts. I don't care about Katy Perry, Pink, etc. but it is awesome to see their fans support events like that in Fargo........20,000 plus makes more acts schedule their tour stops. Seems country and rock does well in Fargo too. I have gone to dozens of rock concerts at the fargodome. Sioux Falls is building an event center that will have 13,500 capacity, but based on attendance in the past the only concerts here that will sell out are country acts.

I'm sure the concert was in the works for a year, a lot of this stuff doesn't happen overnight. On top of that, I think the excuse they gave is not the *real* reason. I think they had to stay hush-lipped about the KP concert until it was announced. I know that article just came out, but you never know when they talked to NDSU or FD staff.

Some say Fargo is in a tough spot geographically, but that's only for NCAA conferences. Fargo is in the middle of 2 major metro areas so they draw from both Winnipeg and Minneapolis for large acts(partly for ease of getting tickets)...as well as Bismarck and GF and surrounding areas. Sioux Falls has...Sioux Falls. The Fargodome has been FANTASTIC for the city from that standpoint as it can support ANY act. That is also it's downfall tho, it is massive so it can only get the REALLY big names. I mean just look at the cities some of these tours play...NYC, LA, Chicago...Fargo. It's pretty impressive.

tjbison
02-01-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm sure the concert was in the works for a year, a lot of this stuff doesn't happen overnight. On top of that, I think the excuse they gave is not the *real* reason. I think they had to stay hush-lipped about the KP concert until it was announced. I know that article just came out, but you never know when they talked to NDSU or FD staff.

Some say Fargo is in a tough spot geographically, but that's only for NCAA conferences. Fargo is in the middle of 2 major metro areas so they draw from both Winnipeg and Minneapolis for large acts(partly for ease of getting tickets)...as well as Bismarck and GF and surrounding areas. Sioux Falls has...Sioux Falls. The Fargodome has been FANTASTIC for the city from that standpoint as it can support ANY act. That is also it's downfall tho, it is massive so it can only get the REALLY big names. I mean just look at the cities some of these tours play...NYC, LA, Chicago...Fargo. It's pretty impressive.

exactly, look I at Ac/DC, and the latest Motley Crüe tour. it's really impressive the names that have been thru Fargo especially when you look back to the 90's and consider Fargo has grown by 70%

MNLonghorn10
02-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I got a wedding to goto that day so thank God they didn't schedule Montana the 23rd

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

EndZoneQB
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I got a wedding to goto that day so thank God they didn't schedule Montana the 23rd

No conflict for me ;)

MNLonghorn10
02-01-2014, 06:33 PM
The game is going to suck anyways..Montana's as good as new Hampshire lol

DIBISON
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
This is old news. It was announced a while back that the game wouldn't be moved to August. Remember, there was discussion about a possible return of College Game Day for this game in late September if both teams take care of business over the first few games.

wilson
02-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Come on now. Rochester has the Bee Gee Tribute night coming up as well as the free concerts in the park series in the summer. And if that don't float your boat, there is always the Treasure Island concerts with Joan Jett as well as Air Supply coming up. With a little luck, we will see Rodney Carrington again. ;)

:hide:

I will admit there are a few fun acts in the outdoor series (and free too!), but I'm surprised at the complete lack of national/current names they get. I don't know if they don't try or what. In Fargo, they get big acts at the Dome, of course, but they also get smaller tier acts to go to The Hub or Venue or whatever it is now. Why Rochester can't get those types at least are frustrating to me.

Oops, kind of leading this topic astray. Sorry.

IBleedYellow
02-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I like how we can be in a position where we are actually able to tell ESPN "You want us, well this time you can't have us."

Imagine if I told you 10 years ago we'd be telling ESPN no to a televised game because we didn't think it would be good for our team?

That still doesn't make it less sucky that we said no....

56BISON73
02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
I like how we can be in a position where we are actually able to tell ESPN "You want us, well this time you can't have us."

Imagine if I told you 10 years ago we'd be telling ESPN no to a televised game because we didn't think it would be good for our team?

Not sure if serious????????

EndZoneQB
02-02-2014, 01:10 AM

I think you missed the part where we said there is a Katy Perry concert that day...

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2014, 02:09 AM
I like how we can be in a position where we are actually able to tell ESPN 3"You want us, well this time you can't have us."

you forgot the 3 after ESPN. so i went ahead and added it.

1st&TennBison
02-02-2014, 10:55 AM
you forgot the 3 after ESPN. so i went ahead and added it.
ESPN 3 or ESPN 20, either way it is ESPN and the nation would have had a chance to watch it.

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2014, 02:30 PM
ESPN 3 or ESPN 20, either way it is ESPN and the nation would have had a chance to watch it.

would they have ran tv commercial ads to tell people to turn on ESPN 3 the night of the 23rd to check out NDSU/Montana? because thats the only way people were going to find out about it. Unless they were trying to find a soccer match on ESPN 3 and stumbled upon it, theres really no reason to watch ESPN 3 after that before the season officially starts

HerdBot
02-02-2014, 03:29 PM

ESPN3 isn't that big of a deal. We were on ESPN3 like 10 times last year

IndyBison
02-02-2014, 04:23 PM
ESPN3 isn't that big of a deal. We were on ESPN3 like 10 times last year

Agreed. ESPN3 is good for people who are seeking out specific broadcasts. I doubt many people go surfing there to see what is on. It's great for Bison fans who are out of the market to watch a game or fans at the game to be able to watch the archived version.

tony
02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure that this game would be on ESPN, but nobody is going to be looking for a football game to watch in the middle of August.

Montana v NDSU would be a great showcase for FCS football, but I can see why we wouldn't want this game because playing Iowa State first, Incarnate Word second, and Montana third, gives us our best shot at going into conference play undefeated.

You can nominate this for Preposterous Statement of the Year if you want: More people important to NDSU's future will watch NDSU play Montana on 9/20 than would watch them on 8/23. Also, beating Iowa State will garner more exposure to NDSU than being on ESPN in the middle of August - could even lead to Game Day back in Fargo for Montana.

BYZEN
02-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Looking at the FBS schedule for September 20th, there are a lot of BIG names with a bye week. If we were going to get Gameday back to Fargo that would be the weekend.
Especially with a win over Iowa State and a Grizzly win over the Cowboys!

3 Pete!!!

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2014, 05:48 PM
lets not get carried away.

Iowa St sucks. A win over them isn't going to give NDSU the same type of love as the KState game did.

EndZoneQB
02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Pretty sure that this game would be on ESPN, but nobody is going to be looking for a football game to watch in the middle of August.

Montana v NDSU would be a great showcase for FCS football, but I can see why we wouldn't want this game because playing Iowa State first, Incarnate Word second, and Montana third, gives us our best shot at going into conference play undefeated.

You can nominate this for Preposterous Statement of the Year if you want: More people important to NDSU's future will watch NDSU play Montana on 9/20 than would watch them on 8/23. Also, beating Iowa State will garner more exposure to NDSU than being on ESPN in the middle of August - could even lead to Game Day back in Fargo for Montana.

I actually completely disagree that the FIRST college football game of the year wouldn't give us more exposure. Really? Are you not a college football fan? I don't know about you, but I'm chomping at the bit to watch football by the time it starts. I ALWAYS watch the first games regardless of what they are because I'm so thirsty for football. Just my opinion...

BYZEN
02-02-2014, 06:46 PM
lets not get carried away.

Iowa St sucks. A win over them isn't going to give NDSU the same type of love as the KState game did.

Of course not. We have lost our David vs. Goliath surprise. Nevertheless if two FCS teams open the season with FBS wins and meet on an"off weekend" for big matchup's. IMHO if ESPN wants to showcase Fargo again as they keep tweeting I think this would be a great weekend to do it.
With all the twists of this game they can have lots to talk about.

Those that stay will be champions

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
I actually completely disagree that the FIRST college football game of the year wouldn't give us more exposure. Really? Are you not a college football fan? I don't know about you, but I'm chomping at the bit to watch football by the time it starts. I ALWAYS watch the first games regardless of what they are because I'm so thirsty for football. Just my opinion...

Except nobody would know about it except for FCS fans. If they don't even air ads for playoff games or the championship game, do you think theyre gonna run them for a game on ESPN 3?

tony
02-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Well, I for one, am certainly not going to be watching EWU v SHSU on August 23rd or whenever. It's the last Saturday before football starts - going to be making the most of it somewhere that's not in front of a TV.

56BISON73
02-02-2014, 08:56 PM

I dont think the majority of FBS fans are going to be flocking to a BWW or holding parties for the FCS weekend. Its nice that the mother ship is trying to increase viewer ship for FCS games. But since they own the TV rights for the FCS playoffs this is pretty self serving. May be if they would have better TV coverage of the playoffs they would be better off. But thats a different discussion.

BisonNeil
02-03-2014, 07:37 PM
There is a pretty good article on this game written by Craig Haley on TSN. Looks like SHSU and EWU may get the shot since NDSU turned it down.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

EndZoneQB
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Except nobody would know about it except for FCS fans. If they don't even air ads for playoff games or the championship game, do you think theyre gonna run them for a game on ESPN 3?

It wouldn't be on the Ocho...it would be on ESPN or ESPN2. I'm gonna flip through the guide and see "College Football", just look to see if its live and then watch it. The sports abyss gets long...

HerdBot
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Its different exposure. Beating Iowa State will garner more attention in areas that matter. Big 12 territory and our main recruiting zone. ESPN would have had more viewers featuring the dome. I would like to see the Montana game on FSN North, our mai recruiting area

BISONBRI53
02-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Because they sell beer? :biggrin::hide:

BYZEN
02-04-2014, 03:50 AM

If a bison ticket is between $15-$25. for 19,800 seats and no beer is sold the dome can make they will take in around $470000 b
For the chick with big cans, the FD should gross about $2,800000. +beer!!!!

it wouldn't take me long to figure outtake the cans.