PDA

View Full Version : NDSU television ratings

tony
01-28-2014, 10:21 PM
https://twitter.com/NDSUbroadcast/status/428293238256975872

TV Ratings: NDSU Football at Youngstown St pulled shares of over 70 in the 10 key age demographics for the Fargo Market.

Considering the number of people watching at bars, that is an amazing number. Now I'd like to find out what the statewide rating was.

NDSUBowler
01-28-2014, 11:11 PM
That implies 70% of TVs were tuned in to game?

Hammerhead
01-28-2014, 11:26 PM
70% sounds about right. 20% were at work or at the game in person, 9% not football fans, and 1% Fighting Whioux fans.

Bison"FANatic"
01-28-2014, 11:26 PM
I was told by someone in the know that 2 years ago games were pulling a 70+ share. So those numbers for the youngestown game don't surprise me. The numbers have been so big I thought they had to be wrong but it rust the person they came from.

MNLonghorn10
01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
70% of ~100,000 metro of fargo=70,000

x avg people @ each tv w/ 2.5

175,000 overall people in the fargo area tuned in

should have no problem with a 90,000+ seat stadium for FBS

unbison
01-28-2014, 11:34 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MNLonghorn10 again.

SamsRams
01-28-2014, 11:42 PM

How many were Texas Longhorn fans who finally decided to watch a team that wasnt garbage?

Tatanka
01-28-2014, 11:44 PM
How many were Texas Longhorn fans who finally decided to watch a team that wasnt garbage?

I'd guess anywhere between 10 and 52.

344Johnson
01-28-2014, 11:51 PM

Think Texas will sell us DKR at a discount?

No_Skill
01-29-2014, 12:08 AM
I'd guess anywhere between 10 and 52.

Well done, sir.

HerdBoy
01-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Too bad the folks in Youngstown don't know how to use the equipment in their TV studio.

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 03:11 AM

Fargo metro is way bigger than 100k mang closer to 225k

WYOBISONMAN
01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Those are some amazing numbers. Obviously a Bison broadcast has a lot of value to advertisers and we will continue to see games on tv statewide.

Tatanka
01-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Those are some amazing numbers. Obviously a Bison broadcast has a lot of value to advertisers and we will continue to see games on tv statewide.

Bingo. Should also get the attention of other regional networks I would think *cough* *cough*

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

WYOBISONMAN
01-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Bingo. Should also get the attention of other regional networks I would think *cough* *cough*

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

One would think that a regional Bison game would have much more advertising potential than some garbage game out of the MAC........

unbison
01-29-2014, 12:55 PM
One would think that a regional Bison game would have much more advertising potential than some garbage game out of the MAC........
I don't know what you are saying……you want the games on tuesday night? or our local fox sports doesn't show mac games on saturdays usually big 12 if i remember correctly….. i really don't remember seeing much mac football on tv on saturdays so this comment makes little sense

tony
01-29-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm not media guy but I think a 70-share means that 70% of the TVs turned on were tuned to the Bison game which is different from saying that 70% of the people in the city were watching the game since not everybody would have a TV on.

A 70-share represents Super Bowl-type numbers.

SoCalBison
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm not media guy but I think a 70-share means that 70% of the TVs turned on were tuned to the Bison game which is different from saying that 70% of the people in the city were watching the game since not everybody would have a TV on.

As a former media guy, this is correct: a 70 share is based on the number of people watching TV at the time....a 70 rating would be based on the number of people residing in the Fargo area.

Tatanka
01-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Wait, so Youngstown was our Super Bowl? Mind blown.

marenlee
01-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Curious question... Why so long to report something like this? That was like forever ago.

Bisonator98
01-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Hopefully some more sponsers get on board then PROSEED! :biggrin:

runtheoption
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Fargo metro is way bigger than 100k mang closer to 225kSo, you guys saying we should have a 110,000+ seat stadium? We may to remove the corner posts AND raise the F-Dome roof. That should do the trick.

aces1180
01-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Last year there was a list of ratings that included all the postseason games that appeared on ESPN networks (Bowl games, FCS playoffs, etc.). Is there such a list this year?

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Last year there was a list of ratings that included all the postseason games that appeared on ESPN networks (Bowl games, FCS playoffs, etc.). Is there such a list this year?

JSUBison posted this in early January

"UNH @ NDSU drew a 1.1 rating. That is .4 better than last year. The NDSU game was the 12th highest program on ESPN that week."

if we had a 1.1 rating for the New Hampshire game, that's about 1.5 million viewers if you look at last years ratings. Combine it with the FCS Championship game and the CC game we were on TV a lot. Oh, and K State and Gameday. I'm thinking 4 million for the playoff games

In 2012 over 2 million viewers in 2 playoff games is right up there in viewership compared to some of the lower Bowl games. It was better than 8 bowl games. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison with a Bowl game to a playoff system but it's the total numbers that count. But the 3 games in 2013 were probably approaching 4 million which is in the top quarter of all bowl games

LAST YEAR
http://i.imgur.com/2UflS.jpg

aces1180
01-29-2014, 03:17 PM

"UNH @ NDSU drew a 1.1 rating. That is .4 better than last year. The NDSU game was the 12th highest program on ESPN that week."

this is from last year but if we had a 1.1 rating for the New Hampshire game, that's about 1.5 million viewers. Combine it with the FCS Championship game and the CC game we were on TV a lot. Oh, and K State

I'd like to see the 2013-2014 version. Will be interesting.

abc123
01-29-2014, 03:45 PM
In 2012 over 2 million viewers in 2 playoff games is right up there in viewership compared to some of the lower Bowl games. It was better than 8 bowl games. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison with a Bowl game to a playoff system but it's the total numbers that count. But the 3 games in 2013 were probably approaching 4 million which is in the top quarter of all bowl games

It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison because you are adding 2 games together, now counting many viewers twice, to compare to viewership of a single game with all unique viewers. Not sure I see the logic in how that makes it comparable.

GRAFTONBISON
01-29-2014, 03:47 PM
It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison because you are adding 2 games together, now counting many viewers twice, to compare to viewership of a single game with all unique viewers. Not sure I see the logic in how that makes it comparable.

The only thing that matters are the 40 times of said viewers :biggrin:

Professor Chaos
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure where to get the data for the FCS playoff games but I saw those numbers posted on AGS last year and they haven't been posted yet this year. This site has the ratings for every game involving an FBS team (regular and postseason) but no FCS games outside of the regular season matchups with FBS teams: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
3 games and 9 hours of exposure is better than a single Bowl game for 3 hours. Its apples to oranges but certainly better. And unlike low level bowl games we profit from the playoffs. Only the big bowl games are big money makers. And you can be sure its not the exact same people watching especially when a game has more viewers.

unbison
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM
the smallest payout per team in any bowl game was 325,000 bucks last year gave
i mean heart of dallas bowl payed out 1.1 million per team that was north texas and unlv

abc123
01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
3 games and 9 hours of exposure is better than a single Bowl game for 3 hours. Its apples to oranges but certainly better. And unlike low level bowl games we profit from the playoffs. Only the big bowl games are big money makers. And you can be sure its not the exact same people watching especially when a game has more viewers.
So in 2012/2013, the FCS Semi-Finals and Finals had a combined 2,078,000 viewers and somehow you can be sure that it wasn't the exact same people watching because 130,000 more watched the finals than the semis? Seems to me the only thing you can be sure of is that the championship game had 130,000 unique viewers that the semi's did not. Obviously the number is higher, but there were not 2,078,000 unique viewers for those two games and to use that number to compare to the viewers of a single football game is inaccurate.

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
So in 2012/2013, the FCS Semi-Finals and Finals had a combined 2,078,000 viewers and somehow you can be sure that it wasn't the exact same people watching because 130,000 more watched the finals than the semis? Seems to me the only thing you can be sure of is that the championship game had 130,000 unique viewers that the semi's did not. Obviously the number is higher, but there were not 2,078,000 unique viewers for those two games and to use that number to compare to the viewers of a single football game is inaccurate.

9 hours is better than 3 hours. That's all that matters. But really how often do you watch every football game on ESPN. ESPN has a steady flow of viewers that changes hourly. We do know the New Hampshire game had 1.5 million viewers which is a big time increase.

TransAmBison
01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
i mean heart of dallas bowl payed out 1.1 million per team that was north texas and unlv
But isn't it true that some teams lose money by going to a bowl game despite the high amounts? First, they have to cover the allotment if not used, and second I believe the school doesn't get the whole payout...doesn't some go to the conference? I am by far no expert, so please correct me if I am wrong.

tony
01-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Meh, national ratings don't do much for me until NDSU starts getting paid more than expenses for postseason TV games.

Regional ratings are 100x more important in my mind. People who happen to watch Boise State in a sports bar in NYC? While that's nice recognition for Boise State, that NYC guy is never going to be more than a casual (i.e. non-bill-paying) fan of Boise State. People in the region who watch NDSU football - those people can have a direct impact on NDSU.

It'd be more interesting to compare the share and ratings of an NDSU NBC game to a cable-channel-only broadcast (like Fox Sports North.)

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
But isn't it true that some teams lose money by going to a bowl game despite the high amounts? First, they have to cover the allotment if not used, and second I believe the school doesn't get the whole payout...doesn't some go to the conference? I am by far no expert, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Prez B talked about it last year. Only the big time Bowls make big time money. Most teams actually lose money and have to pay for the exposure. (not sure if through tickets or what)
The FCS Playoffs on the other hand is basically free money and for us... 3 games on ESPN for free with a ton of viewers

unbison
01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
id susupect some do as some schools do hosting fcs playoffs

Hammerhead
01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
UNLV and UNT were selling tickets at $75.
http://www.meangreensports.com/heartofdallas/tickets.html

How much of that $1.1 million payout is in tickets the schools are stuck selling? $1.1 million = 25,000 tickets at $44 each.

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:42 PM
id susupect some do as some schools do hosting fcs playoffs

The only way you can lose money hosting the FCS playoffs is if you put in a bid for an unseeded game and nobody buys tickets. The smaller schools don't put in huge bids anyway as its not as important to them and they don't have the support to begin with.The NCAA pays for everything including lodging and airfare... and the home team gets a cut of the ticket sales.

unbison
01-29-2014, 04:42 PM
attendance was 44k

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
attendance was 44k

announced attendance vs actual is different. A good example is the Gophers who had to buy something like 15K tickets but only sold 3K so they lost their ass. They counted the 15K Gophers total sales in the totals. It's laughable. (not sure how many they had to buy but it was a lot)

abc123
01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
9 hours is better than 3 hours. That's all that matters. But really how often do you watch every football game on ESPN. ESPN has a steady flow of viewers that changes hourly. We do know the New Hampshire game had 1.5 million viewers which is a big time increase.
I would think number of unique viewers is what matters. The media industry seems to think that way.

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I would think number of unique viewers is what matters. The media industry seems to think that way.

Not sure what we're arguing about. Are you saying nobody watches? 9 hours of exposure for NDSU on ESPN for 3 playoff game benefits us. I guarantee you the New Hamphire game with 1.5 million viewers weren't all from North Dakota. Heck we only have a population of 750K and their not all Bison fans. And 19K were at t he game!

JSUBison
01-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure where to get the data for the FCS playoff games but I saw those numbers posted on AGS last year and they haven't been posted yet this year. This site has the ratings for every game involving an FBS team (regular and postseason) but no FCS games outside of the regular season matchups with FBS teams: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

I don't who at AGS put the original chart together, or if they found it somewhere. The FCS championship was .8 rating. I'll find the other playoff ratings, might take a few minutes.

I really don't know if anything I post is accurate and if I'm doing this right. :hide: Tv numbers really not my thing.

Towson @ EWU: .6 (ESPN2) + .3 (ESPNU)=.9
UNH @ NDSU: .5 (ESPN2) + .3 (ESPNU)= .8

CC @ NDSU: 1.1 (ESPN)
Towson @ EIU: .4 (ESPN2)

Were all other games on ESPN3?

IBleedYellow
01-29-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't who at AGS put the original chart together, or if they found it somewhere. The FCS championship was .8 rating. I'll find the other playoff ratings, might take a few minutes.

I really don't know if anything I post is accurate and if I'm doing this right. :hide: Tv numbers really not my thing.

Look at what happens when you have just on ESPN...

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 06:15 PM

All the playoff games were on espn 3

Coastal Carolina - 1.1 = equal to about 1.5 million viewers
New Hampshire .5 = equal to about 800K (but it says .8 not sure why it has ESPNU included but that would bump it to 1.2 million?)
FCS Championship .8 = equal to about 1.2 million viewers

So over 3 playoff games we had between 3.5 million to 3.9 million viewers and were on for over 9 hours. That's good stuff for the bonus games

The top 7 Bowl Games had 100 million viewers. 20 Bowl Games had less than 4 million viewers.

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM

The ESPNU games are much less viewed. I think we are sort of the team they like to broadcast now since we actually have fans and make it look great on tv. Hopefully it continues.. just gotta keep on winning!

marenlee
01-29-2014, 06:18 PM

There were plenty of people who thought a primetime game on ESPN2 Friday night would get better exposure during the quarterfinals. I ran into several people that watched the CC/NDSU game simply because it was on ESPN and it was really the only sports event of significance on. I saw these numbers last month and I thought they were the opposite. With the UNH and CC game ratings being swapped. :confused:

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 06:54 PM
There were plenty of people who thought a primetime game on ESPN2 Friday night would get better exposure during the quarterfinals. I ran into several people that watched the CC/NDSU game simply because it was on ESPN and it was really the only sports event of significance on. I saw these numbers last month and I thought they were the opposite. With the UNH and CC game ratings being swapped. :confused:

I was suprised too.

On the flip side, Wyoming had 2 games on ESPN2 and 1 game on ESPNU. Only 1 was at home, a blowout loss to Fresno on ESPN2. They played on the Longhorn network against Texas STATE and the BTN vs Nebraska. Otherwise they were on the Roots Network.

Fair to say we had more viewers

1 ESPN
2 ESPN2
1 Fox Sports 1 (kstate)
Gameplan (5 times)
ESPN3 - 7 times (not sure if the playoffs games were on)
Fox College Sports - 3 times (national)
Fox Sports North - 3 times (once reg, twice plus)
Midco Sports - 2
Not to mention regional coverage was top notch with statewide nbc including the spring game
and ESPN Gameday. And the replays were plentiful on FSN and Fox College Sports

NDSUstudent
01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Wyoming's three games on ESPN networks drew a rating of .2(270k), .3(567k) and .4(603k)

BTW ESPN's lowest rated game was Temple vs Memphis on ESPN News...the game drew a rating of 0.0(13k viewers)

BYZEN
01-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Isn't it is all about the commercials? The more unique viewers you can draw the more see the advertising and the higher the networks can charge for an add spot for that team? It's like during the super bowl when it gets quiet in the bar for the commercials, many don't care who is playing anymore, or so I have noticed.:bleh:

GRAFTONBISON
01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Isn't it is all about the commercials? The more unique viewers you can draw the more see the advertising and the higher the networks can charge for an add spot for that team? It's like during the super bowl when it gets quiet in the bar for the commercials, many don't care who is playing anymore, or so I have noticed.:bleh:

But do these commercials cause you to buy more Doritos?

BYZEN
01-29-2014, 07:57 PM
But do these commercials cause you to buy more Doritos?

I defiantly eat more Doritos while I am signing up for go daddy, using Travelocity and shopping online at Amazon during the halftime performance in the blizzard...

HerdBot
01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Wyoming's three games on ESPN networks drew a rating of .2(270k), .3(567k) and .4(603k)

BTW ESPN's lowest rated game was Temple vs Memphis on ESPN News...the game drew a rating of 0.0(13k viewers)

All 3 games = less viewers than the Coastal Carolina game
Wonder what the MAC gets for their Thursday games?

Edit: Mac is Tues/ Wed. Here are the ratings. Outside of NIU nobody seems to watch

Tuesday, November 5

8:00 PM Ohio Buffalo ESPN2

8:00 PM Bowling Green Miami (OH) ESPNU
Wednesday, November 6

8:00 PM Cent. Michigan Ball State ESPN2

Rating Viewers Time Away Home Net
Tuesday, November 12

7:30 PM Buffalo Toledo ESPNU
Wednesday, November 13

1.04M
8:00 PM Ball State N. Illinois ESPN2

8:00 PM Miami (OH) Kent State ESPNU

uesday, November 19

8:00 PM Kent State Ohio ESPN2

8:00 PM Buffalo Miami (OH) ESPNU
Wednesday, November 20

1.05M
8:00 PM N. Illinois Toledo ESPN2

Tuesday, November 26

7:00 PM W. Michigan N. Illinois ESPN2

NDSU1980
01-30-2014, 12:25 AM
I think the ratings prove that Bison football is the biggest sport in North Dakota and western Minnesota. Looks like nothing else even comes close to getting the number of viewers that we do, in any sport.

HerdBot
01-30-2014, 12:38 AM

What are even discussing anymore. I figure with a 70 share in Fargo we have plenty of unique viewers. More than anyone in the state. Webare 1 of 2 teams all year to have an ESPN game on before noon and it drew very well.

BisonTeacher
01-30-2014, 12:51 AM
What are even discussing anymore. I figure with a 70 share in Fargo we have plenty of unique viewers. More than anyone in the state. Webare 1 of 2 teams all year to have an ESPN game on before noon and it drew very well.

We-bare 1???

Is that a new channel in fargo? If so...we just lost Izzy.

North Side
01-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Does anybody know how exactly they found out how many people viewed KVLY television broadcast? Do they call homes in North Dakota or what? Because I have never gotten a survey or anything asking about my TV viewing.

unbison
01-30-2014, 01:21 AM
Does anybody know how exactly they found out how many people viewed KVLY television broadcast? Do they call homes in North Dakota or what? Because I have never gotten a survey or anything asking about my TV viewing.

Your cable box

tjamz
01-30-2014, 03:09 AM

I've participated Nielsen ratings surveys before. Not often, but at least 3 times in 5 years at my residence.

tony
01-30-2014, 01:22 PM

However Nielson does it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

Whatever the methodology, the programming being compared to NDSU football is being measured in the same way so unless there's a flaw that results in a bias towards NDSU football, then it's meaningless (heck, I'd argue the Nielson ratings undervalue Bison football because so many people go to watch parties/bars to view the game (this wouldn't affect share of TVs tuned to NDSU but it would affect the ratings measurement.)