PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Position Preview: MLB

tony
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
There is a discussion here about the middle linebacker position:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27894-2013-Verbal-1-Jarrod-Tuszka

And there's been a lot of posts in other threads about DeLuca maybe moving to DE.

That got me curious, if DeLuca moves to DE and Littlejohn and Beck stay outside, what is the two-deep at MLB? Plank and who else?

bri-dog
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't think any of the above mentioned players will have any eligibility in 2104.

Okay, just being a smartass...

Herd12
01-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Plank is a highly regarded recruit, but I have a really hard time believing that if Deluca is moved to DE that the 3 LBs on the field won't be Thorton, LJ, and Beck in some configuration. I can't see a RFr with no game experience just handed the MLB job this upcoming season. Just my humble opinion.

HerdBot
01-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Plank is a highly regarded recruit, but I have a really hard time believing that if Deluca is moved to DE that the 3 LBs on the field won't be Thorton, LJ, and Beck in some configuration. I can't see a RFr with no game experience just handed the MLB job this upcoming season. Just my humble opinion.

Pierre Gee Tucket could be in the mix. Thornton is solid vs the run but PGT is more athletic in coverage. Depends how quickly he catches on

Mayville Bison
01-17-2014, 06:18 PM

I agree. If Deluca moves to DE, CLJ is the MLB. If they keep Deluca at LB, I think he and Plank rotate at MLB and Thorton and PGT rotate with CLJ and Beck at OLB.

steelbison
01-17-2014, 06:23 PM
I agree. If Deluca moves to DE, CLJ is the MLB. If they keep Deluca at LB, I think he and Plank rotate at MLB and Thorton and PGT rotate with CLJ and Beck at OLB.

Agree, I don't think they will keep CLJ at MLB unless they have to because of injury.

EC8CH
01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I think the last half of the season and the playoffs proved Littlejohn makes a great MLB. I think he stays right there, especially considering the lack of experience his possible replacements at that position have.

steelbison
01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I think the last half of the season and the playoffs proved Littlejohn makes a great MLB. I think he stays right there, especially considering the lack of experience his possible replacements at that position have.

couldn't disagree more. He was great in pass coverage. Very average in run support from the MLB position. He is a MUCH better OLB

StL Bison Fan
01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I am assuming the MLB is not only physically qualified but needs to have the 'game iq'. We had that with Olson. Who do you think of this group has the smarts?

Bisonator98
01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I hope they keep Deluca at MLB. The guy is big and fast. Reminds me of Urlacher.

fbmind
01-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Absolutely agree that CLJ proved himself as a MLB and would do a great job if he stayed there.

HOWEVER, my concern with CLJ is how he would hold up at MLB over the course of a 15-game season (and yes, at this point NDSU is looking at things from the perspective of playing for a NC every year). CLJ has a "leaner" build than guys like Grant Olson, Preston Evans and Joe Mays and I'm not sure he is built to take the pounding at that spot over an entire year. So while he definitely could play the spot, I think it would be better for the team if they could find a more "traditional" MLB, like DeLuca or Plank, to man the middle, with CLJ playing there on a limited basis.

EC8CH
01-17-2014, 06:37 PM
couldn't disagree more. He was great in pass coverage. Very average in run support from the MLB position. He is a MUCH better OLB

I think you are correct that he was far more impressive in coverage at that position, I still don't remember the Bison getting run over between the tackles with CLJ at MLB either.

Mayville Bison
01-17-2014, 06:41 PM
I think you are correct that he was far more impressive in coverage at that position, I still don't remember the Bison getting run over between the tackles with CLJ at MLB either.

I thought Coastal Carolina would be able to run better against us with no Olson in the middle. CLJ handled the playoff run great, but we obviously can't give all the credit to one guy.

Too many LBs is a great problem to have!

EC8CH
01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
I thought Coastal Carolina would be able to run better against us with no Olson in the middle. CLJ handled the playoff run great, but we obviously can't give all the credit to one guy.

Too many LBs is a great problem to have!

Just not a lot of "typically built" MLB's with a lot of game experience.

EC8CH
01-17-2014, 06:50 PM
This question is probably of greater importance this next year due to the Bison graduating a large portion of their defensive tackle rotation.

Who ever is at MLB may have to really step it up if the new defensive tackles need time to get up to speed.

This combination may determine how successful the Bison D is next year.

Hopefully opposing teams just chuck the pigskin and forgot all about trying to run it up the gut.

HerdBot
01-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Absolutely agree that CLJ proved himself as a MLB and would do a great job if he stayed there.

HOWEVER, my concern with CLJ is how he would hold up at MLB over the course of a 15-game season (and yes, at this point NDSU is looking at things from the perspective of playing for a NC every year). CLJ has a "leaner" build than guys like Grant Olson, Preston Evans and Joe Mays and I'm not sure he is built to take the pounding at that spot over an entire year. So while he definitely could play the spot, I think it would be better for the team if they could find a more "traditional" MLB, like DeLuca or Plank, to man the middle, with CLJ playing there on a limited basis.

Great point. Going up against soft finesse teams we saw in the playoffs (except Towson) is one thing but a full season of Missouri Valley Football will wear any middle linebacker down. Worst case LJ stays in the game as our nickel middle linebacker like he has done for 2 years. Best case DeLuca plays in the middle to keep him fresh through the playoffs.

bison_by_blood
01-17-2014, 07:42 PM

This is correct. Our D held up in the middle because Drevlow and Perry played out of their minds in the playoffs. Most of the plays CLJ made were pursuing towards the sidelines. Having said that, if the coaches think Beck, Esley and CLJ are our best three LB's maybe they try to put 10 good pounds on him to be better suited for the position.

Kermit
01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
We only had 2 linebackers on the field for about half of the defensive snaps this season. I think we will continue to see a nickel package becoming increasingly important. Granted, Heagle usually dropped down into a LB/S hybrid role in the nickel.

We just won a national championship with the trio of Littlejohn, Beck, and Thorton as the starting linebackers throughout the playoffs. I think we'll be ok if we are stuck with them. :D

I think DeLuca is going to be a great player. He may well start next year. IF he moves to DE as I suggested he might, it will be because he can have a greater impact there. The best players will play.

If Littlejohn starts at Mike and DeLuca is a DE, Plank could be the backup Mike. Another possibility would be to move Thorton inside if needed (like CLJ did this year) because the backup outside backers like Gee-Tucker and Stumpf may be more ready for a bigger role.

Kermit
01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
This is correct. Our D held up in the middle because Drevlow and Perry played out of their minds in the playoffs. Most of the plays CLJ made were pursuing towards the sidelines. Having said that, if the coaches think Beck, Esley and CLJ are our best three LB's maybe they try to put 10 good pounds on him to be better suited for the position.

Great point about the importance of the DTs in the inside run game. Watch out for Nathan Tanguay. People that know are saying he is going to be a star.

reformedUNDfan
01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
if deluca moves to DE, i would think thorton would be the next MLB. As many have said, he is a better run stopper, and has the size to handle it. I imagine he'll be in the 230 lb range next year, and he had still been playing catch up. I'm hoping he'll be a pretty a outstanding player by the middle of next season.

tjbison
01-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Grant will get everyone new up to speed, but you cannot replace CLJ and his game experience IMO

I like Beck, Carlton and Esley for the #1's like Kermit said we just won with those boys

reformedUNDfan
01-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Great point about the importance of the DTs in the inside run game. Watch out for Nathan Tanguay. People that know are saying he is going to be a star.

This is comforting. Anyone know how nick jacobson is progressing? I remember him being a big get.

BisoninNWMN
01-18-2014, 01:48 PM
IMO.....DeLuca will be the MLB in '14. Beck and CLJ will be the OLB.

CAS4127
01-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Beck is going through massive shoulder repair surgery and will sit out Spring ball (not like he needs it) to rehab. Having him at full-strength next Fall would be awesome, but his full recovery will be a tough one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison"FANatic"
01-18-2014, 02:19 PM

If I was placing a bet that's what I would expect. CLJ is just so good on the outside, hopefully they find a way to get him back there.

BisoninNWMN
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
If I was placing a bet that's what I would expect. CLJ is just so good on the outside, hopefully they find a way to get him back there.

Agree. CLJ is great on the outside. DeLuca looks like he will be a very good MLB.

Man... I cannot wait for the '14 season to start.

Herd12
01-18-2014, 02:35 PM

One of the underrated aspects of that configuration is that it puts us in a much better position for 2015. I'd much rather have the 2015 LB corps led by Deluca as a true junior with a year's experience calling the defense with two inexperienced outside linebackers than a completely fresh crew. No matter what happens, the 2014 team is going to have 2 seniors on the field in both the base and nickel packages. Beck and CLJ aren't going anywhere and it's a good thing they're not. The 2015 defense as a whole, especially the linebacking corps is going to be light on experience but heavy on talent. It would be nice if they at least had an experienced leader.

westnodak93bison
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
CLJ gives us flexibility. He is great at mlb especially against speedy spread teams. I could see Deluca in the middle against power run oriented teams.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

17>1
01-19-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm not claiming to have a great defensive mind at all, but I'll still add my opinion. For one thing, I guess I never noticed how poorly Esley played pass coverage. Was there a real noticeable drop off with him out there? With having Shepard, the Bison had the luxury of playing a lot of nickel and still able to defend the run with Heagle playing closer to the line. With no Shep, I don't think we see the nickel as often. Also, anyone that thinks Carlton played anything less than exceptional filling at MLB wasn't watching the same thing as me. I thought he did great. Again, that's just my opinion.
I agree that we'll still see the same trio of Beck, Esley and Carlton out there starting. I'd like to see how Esley does at MLB with Deluca rotating in a bit.

56BISON73
01-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm not claiming to have a great defensive mind at all, but I'll still add my opinion. For one thing, I guess I never noticed how poorly Esley played pass coverage. Was there a real noticeable drop off with him out there? With having Shepard, the Bison had the luxury of playing a lot of nickel and still able to defend the run with Heagle playing closer to the line. With no Shep, I don't think we see the nickel as often. Also, anyone that thinks Carlton played anything less than exceptional filling at MLB wasn't watching the same thing as me. I thought he did great. Again, that's just my opinion.
I agree that we'll still see the same trio of Beck, Esley and Carlton out there starting. I'd like to see how Esley does at MLB with Deluca rotating in a bit.

I sure didnt notice any drop off and I dont think anyone here mentioned it. Unless I missed it. I think he been doing a pretty good job. Ive watched him a few times making some sweet reads and shooting the gap to sack the QB or bring down a running back.

KyleK
01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't think Thorton is a starter next year. Other than the Furman game, he really didn't do much. I think he's a backup at best, and to be fair to him, he is still learning the position. I think he only sees the field if someone gets hurt or needs a breather. CLJ, Beck, Deluca, PGT, and other young LB's see more playing time. If Deluca can cover the deep middle, he will be the starting MLB.

Kermit
01-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Esley did a great job. I think he is better as a run defender at this point. There is no question that he played a lot more in run situations than in pass situations. He was one of the most improved players on the roster and I think he will be a team leader next season.

17>1
01-19-2014, 04:11 PM
I sure didnt notice any drop off and I dont think anyone here mentioned it. Unless I missed it. I think he been doing a pretty good job. Ive watched him a few times making some sweet reads and shooting the gap to sack the QB or bring down a running back.

Gabe mentioned PGT being more athletic in coverage than Esley. I guess that doesn't necessarily translate into "poor". But Esley has been brought up on here before as not being a capable LB, and I don't see why. Like I've said before, the kid made the 2 deep on the best defense in FCS history. 'Nuff said.

56BISON73
01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Gabe mentioned PGT being more athletic in coverage than Esley. I guess that doesn't necessarily translate into "poor". But Esley has been brought up on here before as not being a capable LB, and I don't see why. Like I've said before, the kid made the 2 deep on the best defense in FCS history. 'Nuff said.

Did you say Gabe??? Ok now I understand.:biggrin:

Mr. Burgundy
01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I know this isn't Gabe's opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but last year during captains practices Grant Olson thought PGT was the best cover backer we had. Athleticism for days on that kid. He's in the mix boys. Again, thus wasn't Gabe's opinion so I'm not sure if it's legit.

17>1
01-19-2014, 05:55 PM
I know this isn't Gabe's opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but last year during captains practices Grant Olson thought PGT was the best cover backer we had. Athleticism for days on that kid. He's in the mix boys. Again, thus wasn't Gabe's opinion so I'm not sure if it's legit.

Awesome!! I hope he stays healthy and sees the field a lot.

KyleK
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM

Agreed, if PGT stays healthy next year, he will play a lot and make us all remember why we were so dam excited when he signed.

tony
01-21-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm going to move the stuff about a former player elsewhere.