PDA

View Full Version : 2013 in Review

Mayville Bison
01-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I put this in the blogs space so I could find it easily later on, but wanted to share it here as well.

Happy end-of-the-year to everyone!

Here’s some things/thoughts I’ve put together since the playoffs ended.

Thought I: 3-Peat
As some have tried to start, “Who cares? 3-Peat!!!” NDSU was clearly the best team in the FCS this year. There were teams that tried to stop this team, but there was one thing on their mind from the get-go: 15-0. Mission Accomplished!

Thought II: Klieman and staff
What more could you ask from this guy? Leading this team through the playoffs giving up a total of 42 points in 4 games against what should have been legit competition. Remember, there should be no cup cakes in the playoffs. The competition wasn’t the problem with the lopsided scores, it was that NDSU was THAT GOOD!

Coach K also took on everything to do with recruiting with very little help because most of the current staff set their sites on Wyoming recruiting. What transpired over the next few weeks was awfully scary for Bisonation, but if you weren’t impressed before with Klieman and his staff, you should be now! 18 recruits have verballed and not one is heading down southwest. Great job staff!

Thought III: MVFC Mixed Bag
How good is this conference?

Take away the outliers (NDSU and ISUb) and you have a whole bunch of mediocrity. You can break the remaining 7 into 3 groups

1.Battling for second (SDSU and SIU) – These teams actually tried to play offense and defense. SIU had their deck stacked against them after the first two games and were fighting the rest of the year to stay in the playoff hunt. If SDSU would have beat either SIU or Missouri St, they would’ve been seen as the favorite to win in round one – setting up the regionalized matchup (and rematch) against NDSU. I’m disappointed with how SDSU ended their season @EWU – I wanted to see a closer game to show the MVFC isn’t just NDSU.
2.Pretenders (YSU, MSU, ISUr, USD, WIU) – Each of these teams except maybe WIU showed they can compete in this conference. Some probably want to include YSU in the first category, but the way they started the year (cupcakes) and finished the year (losing 3 strait) tells me all I need to know. It took a 4th quarter collapse by SIU for them to get to 8 wins on the year with 3 non-conf cupcakes on the schedule. They would have embarrassed the MVFC if they did make the playoffs.
3.UNI – I kept UNI separate because we will truly never know how good or bad they were this year thanks to the one game with NDSU. If you take NDSU off their schedule, they could possibly run the table, but that’s not how it works. If Farley doesn’t get injured, do they win one of the next 4 games? Who knows? What the next 4 games did show is one of two things. 1-This was the game circled on UNI’s calendar and when they came up just short, there was a serious emotional let down for the next month. I would compare this to the FBS team that finishes 3rd and then loses their bowl game. They wanted the national championship game and when they didn’t get there, they didn’t want to play at all. Or 2-UNI has a serious depth problem. Every team has injuries, but to win 4, lose 5, and win your last 3 screams they couldn’t overcome a key injury. It’s probably a combination of the two.

Overall, I don’t believe the MVFC is the best conference in the country. Yes, it has won the last three national championships, but one team doesn’t make a conference.

Thought IV: Freshmen/Newcomers
When the All-newcomer team was announced at the beginning of December, you could make a number of different opinions. Mine was the lack of NDSU players (2013 All-Newcomer Squad) and then I immediately thought that’s not what NDSU is about. NDSU doesn’t take many FBS drop-downs or JuCos. They also build their players up throughout their career. Freshmen know their role on this team is to usually play special teams and be second/third on the depth chart. There aren’t many recruits that are going to come in as freshmen or redshirt freshmen and stand out – many could have if they chose other schools. They buy into the team-first attitude and work their tails off to make themselves better which usually makes the guy in front of them work just as hard to keep their spots.

The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back!

Thought V: Looking forward – This will not be 2008 again
The 2007 team and season had a lot of great memories. The Sam Houston win, the Minnesota win, 10 wins on the year for the second year in a row – great year! 2008 brought a new conference to the table (along with losing some key personnel). 2014 brings a new coaching staff to the table and many key personnel. I’m confident this team will build on it’s success and do good things. Should we expect a 4th championship? No, but it is a great feeling that we can compete for a 4th!

Best offensive player NDSU faced: Terrance West (runner up: Tyler Lockett)
While he may not have had his best game of the year, he was impressive to watch. I wish we could have played on a better field as neither West nor the Bison defense was at 100% on that pasture. West will make an NFL roster next year and be a contributor. I don’t believe he will ever be a pro-bowl caliber player, but he will make an impact.

Best defensive player NDSU faced: Entire SDSU defense (runner up: Jake Farley)
Maybe it had to do with the “rivalry”, but they came ready to play. I remember never feeling too worried about the impending outcome, but looking back I should have been. It wasn’t till about 11 minutes left in the game before NDSU had a 2 score lead. With the exception of Ojuri hitting the century mark, everyone had a non-typical day (as opposed to an off day). Everyone was doing their job that afternoon, but SDSU came to play too and limited what we could do as a team.

Moment of the year: “The Drive” (runner up: Who cares? 3-peat!)
There aren’t many moments in sports history where you can say “The ____” and an entire fanbase knows what you are referring to. While winning the championship is the pinnacle for every team, this team wanted more than that. It all started with “The Drive”.

Game of the Year (2 FCS teams): NDSU vs. UNI (runner up: Towson vs. EWU)
This game was lost throughout the year because of UNI’s slide, but it really was the best game between two FCS teams. An early fumble led to drama that would not go away until the final whistle. In the end NDSU wore their opponent down (imagine that) and UNI did not have the depth to finish the upset.

Feast or famine team: Eastern Illinois (runner up: Youngstown State)
I was looking forward to EIU vs NDSU for the championship as I thought they were the two best teams. When EIU was good, they were really good. But, when they needed their defense to show up the most (at all?), they let Terrance West run all over them. Ironically, in their two losses on the year, they scored 39 points both games. It’s great to know if NDSU scores 39, we are going to win!

Worst end-of-half/game failure: EWU’s Vernon Adams vs. Towson
Less than 30 seconds and 1 timeout – down 21-7
1st and Goal from the Towson 1 – Incomplete Pass
2nd and Goal from the 1 – rush for no gain (timeout with 11 seconds remaining – no timeouts left)
3rd and Goal from the 1 – Vernon Adams rolls right and tries to get to the endzone with his feet. Had he actually cut back left, it was wide open. Stopped short and the clock runs out. Down by 14 you have to get points there!

Going out in “style”: Craig Bohl
Enuf said

Meltdown for the ages: Bisonville over and over again
Again enuf said

Welcome back: Coach Polasek!
Gotta love his enthusiasm! Also loved the recruiting story on how NIU didn’t have room so he recommended an NDSU discussion. It’s very obvious he wants to be here and is excited to back!

Can’t wait till next season
T minus 227 days and counting!

bisonaudit
01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I think that's an incredibly uncharitable characterization of the MVFC. It's not one team. The only two games we've lost the last three years have been home conference games. The conference schedule has been tougher the last two years than the playoff run. Not only is the MVFC the best conference in FCS; it's not a close call.

Mayville Bison
01-15-2014, 03:54 PM
I think that's an incredibly uncharitable characterization of the MVFC. It's not one team. The only two games we've lost the last three years have been home conference games. The conference schedule has been tougher the last two years than the playoff run. Not only is the MVFC the best conference in FCS; it's not a close call.

I will agree that this conference sets NDSU up for the playoffs better than any other conference could. However, can you say that for every other team in the conference? NDSU survives the schedule because of their depth (or maybe willingness to create depth with rotating players in and out) - something you don't see with other teams in the conference.

Maybe I should have said best conference hands down, because I do think it's a 1/1A with the CAA. If NDSU were in the CAA this year, I might have said the same thing about the CAA simply because how much better NDSU was than everyone this year - comparing any team to NDSU this year is a futile task.

ZHerd
01-15-2014, 03:55 PM
I'd go with Lockett over west. He is a big time bilitkenof talent. Almost 300 yards vs Oklahoma and he and the UNI rb gave the NDSU defense the most problems. Take Lockett out and we beat K-state far more easily than we did.

bisonmike2
01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
West was good but I never felt he was going to hurt us that bad. I would take Johnson from UNI over him. He's a really good receiver out of the backfield and a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.

Herd12
01-15-2014, 04:01 PM
I'd go with Lockett over west. He is a big time bilitkenof talent. Almost 300 yards vs Oklahoma and he and the UNI rb gave the NDSU defense the most problems. Take Lockett out and we beat K-state far more easily than we did.

I agree. Lockett was the best player that we played against this season. No question about it.

Mayville Bison
01-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Those were definitely the top 3 to consider. I think I eliminated Johnson based on what Lockett and West did for the entire year.

As for Lockett vs. West, I don't think you can go wrong either way. There were a number of things that pushed me towards West - 41 TDs on the year (11 for Lockett), Mr. Consistent game in game out (9 of 11 TDs came in 3 games), only threat on his team and team kept winning on top of that - but the biggest push I gave was Lockett wasn't the only receiver on his team to go over 100 and a TD against us. While Lockett's stats were very good 7/113/1, Thompson's were not that far off 6/108/1.

Not trying to take anything away from Lockett as he will likely be a 1st round pick, but I had more respect for Terrance West throughout the year.

KilldeerBison
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
West was good but I never felt he was going to hurt us that bad. I would take Johnson from UNI over him. He's a really good receiver out of the backfield and a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.

This. I thought Johnson was the best until he got hurt against NDSU, before being injured, he looked better than West IMHO.

EC8CH
01-15-2014, 09:12 PM
This. I thought Johnson was the best until he got hurt against NDSU, before being injured, he looked better than West IMHO.

Agree... Johnson looked scary good.

bisonfanette
01-15-2014, 11:11 PM
The 2013 Nat'l Championship Football Team will be recognized at half time of the men's basketball game this Sat.
(Also Thundar's B-day party at the BSA with cake & ice cream. Doors open at noon!)

tony
01-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Some additional things about 2013:

- The Bison Media blog continues to be outstanding. Fargo was lucky to get Dom Izzo.
- Might seem minor to most but I love how "NDSU" is getting widespread use and recognition around the country. For branding purposes, that is huge and it's also a sign of NDSU being on a lot more peoples' radars.

bisonmike2
01-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Speaking of year in review. Anyone know if we are getting a season in review on DVD/Blu-ray?

T-Funk
01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Speaking of year in review. Anyone know if we are getting a season in review on DVD/Blu-ray?

Yes. Kasey Byers (@ndsukc) tweeted recently that he has begun working on it.

aces1180
01-24-2014, 09:09 PM

They need to offer it on iTunes (or some other digital platform). I, like many others, have pretty much abandoned physical media instead opting for digital devices.

Bison4peat
01-25-2014, 02:18 AM

Agree, Lockett is a freak 81/1262 and 11 touchdowns. K-state/gameday helped immensely for national recognition. Travel quite a bit, wear NDSU sweathirt and getting "Go Bison" from people in places i'm pretty sure didn't know the Bison existed a few years ago.

marenlee
01-25-2014, 02:51 AM
They need to offer it on iTunes (or some other digital platform). I, like many others, have pretty much abandoned physical media instead opting for digital devices.

Pssshhh! Nothing beats having a disc which your 1 year old will destroy in 2 seconds. Damn kids and yer I tunes.