PDA

View Full Version : D2 schools looking at moving up

natstar1
01-12-2014, 07:32 PM
NDSU was playing D2 roughly a decade ago was ready to make the move to FCS. So what D2 schools are ready to do that now and would actually improve the FCS?

MNLonghorn10
01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
NDSU was playing D2 roughly a decade ago was ready to make the move to FCS. So what D2 schools are ready to do that now and would actually improve the FCS?
http://replygif.net/i/1428.gif

EndZoneQB
01-12-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

NDSUstudent
01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
The answer to this question is none of them.

EndZoneQB
01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Fixed it.

http://firehousezen.com/files/2012/08/Dumpster-Fire.jpg

SamsRams
01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
The answer to this question is none of them.

funny that is the same thing the Mountain West officials say about FCS schools

MNLonghorn10
01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
funny that is the same thing the Mountain West officials say about FCS schools

I'd be bitter too if an FCS school would be better than the entire conference as well.

dgoergs
01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd be bitter too if an FCS school would be better than the entire conference as well.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SamsRams
01-12-2014, 08:19 PM

dont think its bitterness, there is nothing NDSU brings to the conference. no one wants to travel that far

NDSUstudent
01-12-2014, 08:42 PM
There is nothing left in DII. GVSU is really the most attractive school and they want nothing to do with DI. In fact they ripped us when we moved up.

The last few schools who came from DII are very unattractive...Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist and Abilene Christian. Keep adding these schools and eventually they'll get together and propose to cut scholarships. None of them have the resources to compete, especially with schools like us or Montana. We'll be going right back down the same old road we were on not so long ago.

The best thing the FCS could do is somehow talk the Ivy League into competing in the playoffs. Those schools have resources and support and would make a positive impact on the subdivision.

td577
01-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I heard the bottom half of the big fluffy is thinking about it.

HerdBot
01-13-2014, 02:04 AM
There is nothing left in DII. GVSU is really the most attractive school and they want nothing to do with DI. In fact they ripped us when we moved up.

The last few schools who came from DII are very unattractive...Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist and Abilene Christian. Keep adding these schools and eventually they'll get together and propose to cut scholarships. None of them have the resources to compete, especially with schools like us or Montana. We'll be going right back down the same old road we were on not so long ago.

The best thing the FCS could do is somehow talk the Ivy League into competing in the playoffs. Those schools have resources and support and would make a positive impact on the subdivision.

Northwest Missouri State would be outstanding and they fit the Missouri Valley footprint perfect. As a D2 school they are already better than most of these teams we whoop ass on. Give them more scholarships and thats a good program. Their facilities would need some work but they draw as good as Missouri State and would probably beat them right now. 15-0, National Champs their 4th and 8th appearance since 1998. I would poach some of their coaches

tjbison
01-13-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm not going to sugar coat it...we moved to late, have had a blast and will in the future but we should have been FCS at least 15 yrs earlier.

let's all remember when the Gateway fans were against adding us and now we have held the flag and put the MVFC on the map which has led to the conference schools stepping up

we at NDSU lead we don't follow

CHADSTAUS
01-13-2014, 02:21 AM
I though I herd a rumor that UND wanted to move up from D-2?

Vitojr130
01-13-2014, 03:30 AM
dont think its bitterness, there is nothing NDSU brings to the conference. no one wants to travel that far

I don't think travel distance has as much of an influence as you think it does at the D1 level.

The only thing that distance has a huge influence on is fans. The team and coaches have no problem with an extra 20 minutes of flying..

BisonFan02
01-13-2014, 04:01 AM
I don't think travel distance has as much of an influence as you think it does at the D1 level.

The only thing that distance has a huge influence on is fans. The team and coaches have no problem with an extra 20 minutes of flying..

All fine and good until you include the rest of the sports. Who would be a travel partner for bball?

JSUBison
01-13-2014, 04:24 AM

The Ivy schools are a frustrating bunch. They would be great for the playoffs, but the old men in charge of those schools just don't care. I think it's a bit early to judge the Texas schools, it's only year 1 in their transition. The Summit and MVFC hit a home run with the D2 school's they added. NDSU and SDSU have killed it, and USD and Omaha will have success, just not as early or as often. I wonder about Omaha sometimes though. If you have to cut your two best sports to go DI, you're doing it wrong. For the FBS move-uppers, I have a unrealistic but fun theory and it involves both the Missouri Valley and the MVFC, Wichita State football, and Omaha starting football again. The chances are near zero but who cares.

I'll add Pittsburg State and North Alabama as two schools who could bring something to the table. North Alabama wants to be DI, but can't find a conference. I think they'd fit in good in the SoCon, they'd be a good travel partner for Samford. Samford is in Birmingham and UNA is in Florence. UNA also has good attendance, near 10,000 which would put them near tops in the GSU/ASU-less SoCon. They'd have in state rivalries with Jacksonville State, Alabama State and Alabama A&M.

I haven't seen anything that Pitt State wants to move or can even afford it, but if they did they would fit best in a Summit/MVFC configuration. Perfect travel partner for ORU if Arkansas Little Rock doesn't happen. The eastern Summit and MVFC schools would likely whine of course. Pitt State could also fit into the Southland, but that conference is approaching Big Sky bloat levels. Pitt State also has good attendance, 10,000+ last year, and I bet if they replace whoever is in their D2 conference with Missouri State, UNI, NDSU, etc they could be 3 or 4 in attendance in the Valley. There are no FCS schools in Kansas, and Pitt State could also work in my mythical Grain Belt Conference.

Central Missouri-I don't know much about this school, but would fit the Summit/MVFC footprint.

natstar1
01-13-2014, 04:58 AM
I was curious about Pitt State. According to this they've only had over 10K fans 4 times in their history.
http://www.pittstategorillas.com/sports/2012/7/13/FB_0713121107.aspx?id=296

North West Missouri State must have a decent following.

NDSUstudent
01-13-2014, 05:03 AM
The Ivy schools are a frustrating bunch. They would be great for the playoffs, but the old men in charge of those schools just don't care. I think it's a bit early to judge the Texas schools, it's only year 1 in their transition. The Summit and MVFC hit a home run with the D2 school's they added. NDSU and SDSU have killed it, and USD and Omaha will have success, just not as early or as often. I wonder about Omaha sometimes though. If you have to cut your two best sports to go DI, you're doing it wrong. For the FBS move-uppers, I have a unrealistic but fun theory and it involves both the Missouri Valley and the MVFC, Wichita State football, and Omaha starting football again. The chances are near zero but who cares.

I'll add Pittsburg State and North Alabama as two schools who could bring something to the table. North Alabama wants to be DI, but can't find a conference. I think they'd fit in good in the SoCon, they'd be a good travel partner for Samford. Samford is in Birmingham and UNA is in Florence. UNA also has good attendance, near 10,000 which would put them near tops in the GSU/ASU-less SoCon. They'd have in state rivalries with Jacksonville State, Alabama State and Alabama A&M.

I haven't seen anything that Pitt State wants to move or can even afford it, but if they did they would fit best in a Summit/MVFC configuration. Perfect travel partner for ORU if Arkansas Little Rock doesn't happen. The eastern Summit and MVFC schools would likely whine of course. Pitt State could also fit into the Southland, but that conference is approaching Big Sky bloat levels. Pitt State also has good attendance, 10,000+ last year, and I bet if they replace whoever is in their D2 conference with Missouri State, UNI, NDSU, etc they could be 3 or 4 in attendance in the Valley. There are no FCS schools in Kansas, and Pitt State could also work in my mythical Grain Belt Conference.

Central Missouri-I don't know much about this school, but would fit the Summit/MVFC footprint.

The problem a lot of these schools have is that they are small schools in tiny markets. Hard to overcome being in a tiny market and also being in the shadow of bigger FBS schools at the same time.

SamsRams
01-13-2014, 05:24 AM
All fine and good until you include the rest of the sports. Who would be a travel partner for bball?

Winner Winner chicken dinner. Now if its a football only invite (which they would only consider if NDSU won 10 championships in a row) you jump at it. The point is baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball. softball and baseball already drop a bunch of money to play down south in non conference. Now to have to go back to the southwest for half your conference schedule. Millions I tell you..........MILLIONS and the point isnt that NDSU may find another few million each year for travel. The Mountain West teams will never ever consider it.

MankatoBison
01-13-2014, 06:21 AM
MSU mankato? Good success in recent years similar sized school as us, succesful in nearly every sport on a national level... Not out of the question to see them going D-1 in all sports in the next 5-10 years.

Only downside is the fan base. I've been in mankato for many years now and no one give a Sh** about that team haha.. its quite sad really. Good facilites in all sports for the most part too. Would be simple to build onto, or renovate the football stadium as well

tjbison
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
MSU mankato? Good success in recent years similar sized school as us, succesful in nearly every sport on a national level... Not out of the question to see them going D-1 in all sports in the next 5-10 years.

Only downside is the fan base. I've been in mankato for many years now and no one give a Sh** about that team haha.. its quite sad really. Good facilites in all sports for the most part too. Would be simple to build onto, or renovate the football stadium as well

don't think mother UM would allow it, the goofs want to be the "big show" in MN

td577
01-13-2014, 12:28 PM

Two.different university systems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

unbison
01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
they are the big show in minnesota.... sorry to inform you they are the show in minnesota for college athletics with near a 100 million in sports revenue

semobison
01-13-2014, 02:27 PM
The Ivy's participation in the playoffs would be a big boost to the FCS. Wont happen though. Can you believe their leadership actually believes academics are the number one priority and football is an extra curricular activity? Who are these old guys?

MNLonghorn10
01-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Yea. Piddly little Mankato will really show up the u of m. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HerdBot
01-13-2014, 02:44 PM

North Alabama has a D2 mindset... oh that's right you can't just move up whenever you want without a conference! :rofl:

aces1180
01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
The only school in Minnesota that I see as being in a good position to move to DI is St. Thomas...They have the money and they would have the support.

scbison91
01-13-2014, 03:24 PM
The Ivy's participation in the playoffs would be a big boost to the FCS. Wont happen though. Can you believe their leadership actually believes academics are the number one priority and football is an extra curricular activity? Who are these old guys? Then why do they compete in other atheletics playoff systems? ie basketball, lacrosse, hockey?

CivilBison96
01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Then why do they compete in other atheletics playoff systems? ie basketball, lacrosse, hockey?

I believe their reasoning is that the Football playoffs occur during finals and they are emphasizing the "student" portion of their student/athletes. The other sports referenced playoffs do not interfere with finals.

Vitojr130
01-13-2014, 05:15 PM

>implying there needs to be one

MankatoBison
01-14-2014, 06:01 AM
The only school in Minnesota that I see as being in a good position to move to DI is St. Thomas...They have the money and they would have the support.

Theyre D3 in everything.... how would that work???

MankatoBison
01-14-2014, 06:05 AM
MSU Mankato is nationally relevant in nearly EVERY sport at the D2 level. and theyre D1 in hockey. They would likely need next to no facility upgrades for multiple years in basically any sport. I believe Football, Basketball, Hockey, Womens Soccer, Wrestling and Track and Field were all top 10 in D2 at some point in the last season. Most of them in the top 5.

Certainly competitive enough across the board where lower D1 wouldnt be a stretch for any of the programs. Overall facilities, are in some cases, better than the others at our level in our geopgraphical footprint as well.

aces1180
01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Theyre D3 in everything.... how would that work???

They would transition to DI...There is no rule stating a school needs to move from DII.

dragonsfan
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Msum basketball only? Since hockey failed

roadwarrior
01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Msum basketball only? Since hockey failed

Can't do that.

dragonsfan
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
O good point

unbison
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
i agree that st thomas if they wanted could push forward to d1…..problem for the bison would be that st thomas would be a very attractive conference mate for many we may like to join if we were to leave the summit

runtheoption
01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
This whole thread causes some serious cognitive dissonance for me. I sure as heck don't want NDSU to move up until GT says the time is right (after the FBS/BCS shakeout), but it disgusts me to think about some of these schools moving up and being NDSU's "peer." That kinda makes me want NDSU to move up to FBS ASAP.

MankatoBison
01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
sooooo, is there any reason to believe that MSU mankato couldnt realistically do this in the very near future?? haha I cant think of any reason

NDSUstudent
01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
I could see Mankato joining the Summit but not the MVFC. They would have to go the Omaha route if they want to be DI.

MankatoBison
01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
They would transition to DI...There is no rule stating a school needs to move from DII.

Gotcha, gotcha, but has this been done before? I mean they would have to do a maaaaajor facility upgrade before being equipped to move. Granted they have buttloads of money haha.

Are there others that have gone from D3 in all sports to D1 in all sports?? I would be shocked if someone has but then again, ive never researched it..

Strongman
01-15-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm not going to sugar coat it...we moved to late, have had a blast and will in the future but we should have been FCS at least 15 yrs earlier.

let's all remember when the Gateway fans were against adding us and now we have held the flag and put the MVFC on the map which has led to the conference schools stepping up
we at NDSU lead we don't follow

Exactly! Totally agree. Same reason we should move up. History will repeat itself and NDSU will become stagnant if stay @ this level.

Strongman
01-15-2014, 04:18 AM
This whole thread causes some serious cognitive dissonance for me. I sure as heck don't want NDSU to move up until GT says the time is right (after the FBS/BCS shakeout), but it disgusts me to think about some of these schools moving up and being NDSU's "peer." That kinda makes me want NDSU to move up to FBS ASAP.

Same shit different decade. Northern Alabama and all these D 2 teams suck. They are not even in the same league as North Dakota State University. We are much more like a Big 10 team or BCS team than these crap D2 schools are to NDSU.

344Johnson
01-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Same shit different decade. Northern Alabama and all these D 2 teams suck. They are not even in the same league as North Dakota State University. We are much more like a Big 10 team or BCS team than these crap D2 schools are to NDSU.

Unfortunately conferences are not all about the athletics side of things.....they are also about financial capabilities....academics, and tv markets. Also important to keep in mind we are not always going to have this good of a team at NDSU.

56BISON73
01-15-2014, 04:31 AM

Great communication skills. Can you be more abrasive? It might get your point across a little bit better.:facepalm2:

Kermit
01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
Unfortunately conferences are not all about the athletic.....they are also about financial capabilities....academics, and tv markets. Also important to keep in mind we are always going to have this good of a team at NDSU.

Don't forget geography.

56BISON73
01-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Don't forget geography.

There you two go, bringing facts, reality and common sense in to the argument. :biggrin:

HerdBot
01-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Exactly! Totally agree. Same reason we should move up. History will repeat itself and NDSU will become stagnant if stay @ this level.

We got stagnant because D2 cut scharships, we recruited poorly, Northern Colorado and UND improved, we had a bad AD who sucked and by the time we played Moorhead State and won 80-0 fans started to lose interest. We were still a good program. In 2000 we had a loaded team that lost to Delta State in the quarter finals.

Mayville Bison
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
We got stagnant because D2 cut scharships, we recruited poorly, Northern Colorado and UND improved, we had a bad AD who sucked and by the time we played Moorhead State and won 80-0 fans started to lose interest. We were still a good program. In 2000 we had a loaded team that lost to Delta State in the quarter finals.

Which field was worse? Delta State's or Frisco's this year?

344Johnson
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=gabe;827569 we had a bad AD who sucked.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I hope this word choice was intentional

bdg64
01-15-2014, 01:43 PM

In 2000 we lost to Delta State in the Semi-Finals. That was the year they thought it would be better for us to play on the crappy field with no fans then having the game at the dome. Note we were also on our third or fourth string QB in that game.

Tatanka
01-16-2014, 01:30 AM
In 2000 we lost to Delta State in the Semi-Finals. That was the year they thought it would be better for us to play on the crappy field with no fans then having the game at the dome. Note we were also on our third or fourth string QB in that game.

please also note who was on the committee that sent us down to Mississippi

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

SDbison
01-16-2014, 01:42 AM
please also note who was on the committee that sent us down to Mississippi

I would say that be none other than the man with two first names.........Roger Thomas.

EndZoneQB
01-16-2014, 01:43 AM
please also note who was on the committee that sent us down to mississippi

sent from somewhere using my windows phone.

tmwtfn ?

Tatanka
01-16-2014, 01:46 AM
You both are correct.

KC Bison
01-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Just a little info on NW Missouri and Pittsburgh State moving up to DI. While both schools have been relatively successful at the DII level, they are located in relatively small towns with relatively small student bodies. NW Missouri is located in Marysville, MO which in 2010 is listed at 12,000 population. They have 7,300 undergraduates and graduates.
Pitt State, located in Pittsburgh, KS. has a population of 20,000 and has 7,100 students. It would appear to me that they don't really have the resources to make a move to DI.

AjaxTheMighty
01-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Here's you: hey look at me, I have something important to say
Here's me: bu-bye!

Here's you: FBS, NDSU better
Here's me: bu-bye

Here's you: who is lakes
Here's me: bu-bu-bye

Here's you: but but
Here's me: bu..............bye!

EndZoneQB
01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Here's you: hey look at me, I have something important to say
Here's me: bu-bye!

Here's you: FBS, NDSU better
Here's me: bu-bye

Here's you: who is lakes
Here's me: bu-bu-bye

Here's you: but but
Here's me: bu..............bye!

Wow, you really showed him!

Wtf did you just say?

heckler
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM

Wtf did you just say?

He said bu-bye. He might have a nice little Saturday planned and go ahopping with his boyfriend at Home Depot. Maybe Bed, Bath, &Beyond. I don't know if he'll have enough time.

tjbison
01-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Just a little info on NW Missouri and Pittsburgh State moving up to DI. While both schools have been relatively successful at the DII level, they are located in relatively small towns with relatively small student bodies. NW Missouri is located in Marysville, MO which in 2010 is listed at 12,000 population. They have 7,300 undergraduates and graduates.
Pitt State, located in Pittsburgh, KS. has a population of 20,000 and has 7,100 students. It would appear to me that they don't really have the resources to make a move to DI.

why not, Vermillion and Brookings are shitholes and they made the move

tjbison
01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
He said bu-bye. He might have a nice little Saturday planned and go ahopping with his boyfriend at Home Depot. Maybe Bed, Bath, &Beyond. I don't know if he'll have enough time.

streaking across the quad to the gymnasium??

56BISON73
01-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Yeah but with the success theyve had there MUST be a plethora of conferences just waiting to invite them.:innocent::biggrin:

IndyBison
01-18-2014, 09:46 PM

The size of the town where the school is located is irrelevant. There are a lot of big schools in very small towns. Proximity to larger markets can be a factor though because a large portion of your fan base will be alumni who are still close enough to attend games. The market size will help for smaller schools who draw fans who just want to support a successful program (i.e. Duke for basketball, Stanford for football).

IUPUI has 30k students in the middle of a city with 1.5 million people, but they struggle to get 1000 people at their games. Clemson, South Carolina, has a population of 14k. But they have a large student body, active alumni base, and history of success. They are also 2 hours from Atlanta, Charlotte, and Columbia so alumni can easily make the trek to a game.

Here are the smallest enrollments for FBS teams:
Tulsa (3174)
Rice (3708)
Air Force (4413)
Navy (4576)
Army (4624)
Wake Forest (4775)
Duke (6484)
Stanford (6878)
Vanderbilt (6879)
SMU (7000)
Louisiana-Monroe (7519)
Tulane (8338)
Notre Dame (8371)
Northwestern (8425)
Boston College (9088)
Louisiana Tech (9137)
Idaho (9330)
TCU (9518)

Most of these are private schools so they are more likely to have engaged students who become active alumni.

AjaxTheMighty
01-19-2014, 03:32 AM

Bu.......................bye!

AjaxTheMighty
01-19-2014, 04:09 AM

Wtf did you just say?

knock knock...

natstar1
01-30-2014, 03:44 PM
what is mankato's enrollment?

gobison.gsb
01-30-2014, 07:53 PM

I am going to grad school here now. From what I can see, I honestly have no idea why they are not D-1. From the hallways and such everyone is wearing MSU stuff, alot like the pride I saw walking around NDSU. I don't know sporting attendance, but I feel they are working on it (and 2 11-0 fb seasons can't hurt). Plus the basketball team is ranked (14-3? When I looked?). Plus nearly 16,000 students on a campus similar sized to NDSU.

Drawbacks? From the looks of it the city/area doesn't seem to have the support that Fargo gives NDSU (although i'm not sure many other schools have that relationship like we do.) The BB facility is NICE, but the FB stadium needs some love to be up to MVFC standards (try nicer than SDSU (what isn't), but similar to WIU by looks).

Honestly, MSU-Mankato looks like a D-1 school or is trying to pretty hard. I also think they're trying to ditch the '-Mankato' and just be Minnesota State, too.

NDSUstudent
01-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Mankato's problem is the MVFC will never add a MN school. So they'd either need to cut football or go non-scholarship.

That said, I'd actually love to bring them into the Summit.

natstar1
01-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Mankato's problem is the MVFC will never add a MN school. So they'd either need to cut football or go non-scholarship.

That said, I'd actually love to bring them into the Summit.
why is that?

NDSUstudent
01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
why is that?

MN is a pipeline that supplements UNI, SDSU, USD and NDSU. I doubt any of those schools will be excited to add a school that is right smack in the middle of it, competition is fierce as it is.

You only make that add if you think Mankato's value is more than what they take.