PDA

View Full Version : Willie Fritz to Georgia Southern

bison93
01-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Willie Fritz will be leaving Sam Houston to take the head coaching job at Georgia Southern.

56BISON73
01-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Willie Fritz will be leaving Sam Houston to take the head coaching job at Georgia Southern.

I just dont see him there. Good luck to GSU.

BadlandsBison
01-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Wow, did not expect this. The gsu program had clearly defined itself as a triple option school, fritz runs a spread option. I bet the fans are thrilled ;)

I agree will PL, fritz doesn't seem to fit this hire. He feasted on some fbs transfers at shsu but this is the top level now (sort of)

NDSUstudent
01-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Probably the best news the Big Sky conference has heard in the past few years...

Tatanka
01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Probably the best news the Big Sky conference has heard in the past few years...

My thoughts exactly. They might get a team or two through in the playoffs now.

Kermit
01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Wow, did not expect this. The gsu program had clearly defined itself as a triple option school, fritz runs a spread option. I bet the fans are thrilled ;)

I agree will PL, fritz doesn't seem to fit this hire. He feasted on some fbs transfers at shsu but this is the top level now (sort of)

I predict Fritz will be fired in 3 years and GSU will hire a triple option guy. History repeats itself?

BadlandsBison
01-09-2014, 07:43 PM
I predict Fritz will be fired in 3 years and GSU will hire a triple option guy. History repeats itself?

I get that feeling. Shsu seemed to liked spread runs and play action behind a big line. Gsu ran quick hitters behind cut blocks. Oh, and the gsu QBs weren't exactly recruited to throw. But then again I'm sure they have a pretty talented roster

Bisonator98
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM

3 years? You really think they give him that long?

gumby013
01-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Start shaking the Paul Johnson tree...again.

ZHerd
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
I think this is actually kinda an interesting hire. The blocking schemes are different but both offenses are run oriented. It will be interesting to see if Fritz uses some creativity and just adds things to the GA southern 3option or overhauls everything. I don't doubt for a minute that the Ga So roster already has the athleticism to incorporate more passing. I thought their wr actually seemed pretty athletic and capable. I always wondered why they wasted their skills playing in that lame offense (by lame I mean boring not ineffective). Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

TransAmBison
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
I do not think Willie Fritz will be a good fit for Georgia Southern. I think Fritz is a pretty good coach, but I wonder if his options for assistants has dried up. He had some good coordinators the first couple years we played them (especially 2011) but this season their o-coordinator was pathetic. They played SELA and had a real hard time completing passes...their solution? Throw 25+ yard passes exclusively. That fine thinking lost them the game...in addition to a porous defeinse.

I predict the first game to be received in the stands something like this:

Pike: Look at that, our qb just pitched the ball forward thirty yards. Can't believe the stupid refs didn't penalize us for a forward pitch.
Talon: I think that is called a forward pass.
Pike: What? When did that become part of football?
Talon: It appears sometimes Fritz likes to chuck the pigskin, other than run the dive, run the dive, run the dive, think about pitching, run the dive, run the dive, fake pitch, run the dive, run the dive, run the dive, pitch.
Pike: Get a rope.
Talon: That's not really fair, is it? I mean, he is still technically running an option base offense.
Pike: Okay. Get a new rope.

HerdBot
01-09-2014, 08:18 PM

This ^^^^^

IBleedYellow
01-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Kermit wins thread.

/thread

BisonEngrGirl
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Do they have a new AD or something? Someone that has another vision for the future of GSU football? Maybe they are embracing the spread now that they are in the FBS, being so close to Florida and all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

runtheoption
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I do not think Willie Fritz will be a good fit for Georgia Southern. I think Fritz is a pretty good coach, but I wonder if his options for assistants has dried up. He had some good coordinators the first couple years we played them (especially 2011) but this season their o-coordinator was pathetic. They played SELA and had a real hard time completing passes...their solution? Throw 25+ yard passes exclusively. That fine thinking lost them the game...in addition to a porous defeinse.

I predict the first game to be received in the stands something like this:

Pike: Look at that, our qb just pitched the ball forward thirty yards. Can't believe the stupid refs didn't penalize us for a forward pitch.
Talon: I think that is called a forward pass.
Pike: What? When did that become part of football?
Talon: It appears sometimes Fritz likes to chuck the pigskin, other than run the dive, run the dive, run the dive, think about pitching, run the dive, run the dive, fake pitch, run the dive, run the dive, run the dive, pitch.
Pike: Get a rope.
Talon: That's not really fair, is it? I mean, he is still technically running an option base offense.
Pike: Okay. Get a new rope. Please put this on the GSU board so Pike and Talon see this.

VirginiaBison
01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
I think this is actually kinda an interesting hire. The blocking schemes are different but both offenses are run oriented. It will be interesting to see if Fritz uses some creativity and just adds things to the GA southern 3option or overhauls everything.

On point. So does all the terminology change? Is everything new. Does the OL have to start over with new schemes? Some moves leverage the new HC and existing team. Some moves are more like a "do-over". Is this a leveraged chance or a do-over.

I look at the HC change Bison as leveraged, but WY with Bohl as a do-over. So is a coaching change a "reload" or "fresh start"? This one sounds like a fresh start -- pay off 3-4 years down the road.

BisonNation11
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Where's Fritz going to try and get his transfers from now???

SamsRams
01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Would be awesome if there was a place to post news about other schools.

Tony Almeida
01-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Maybe they are thinking of heading into a different direction since they moved up and are looking for a style that they think may be better suited for the FBS.

BadlandsBison
01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Would be awesome if there was a place to post news about other schools.

Try this!
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?21-News-About-Other-Schools

SamsRams
01-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Try this!
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?21-News-About-Other-Schools
That link can't be real as i am seeing this posted in the ndsu football forum. Nice try though