PDA

View Full Version : Bison/Gophers Predictions

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-11-2006, 01:04 AM
I know we have another game between now and then, but I'm saying that this game ends up being a 23-17 win for the Bison. This is not 2005. Maroney? Gone. Eslinger? Gone. Gary Russell, Mark Setterstrom, all gone. With all of these weapons last year there is not doubt the game would have been a blow-out, but they are running for almost 100 yards/game less this year than last year (273 in '05 vs. 180 in '06) and while NDSU isn't going to be able to totally shut down the Gopher ground-game, the Gophers are not going to be able to shove the ball down our throats like they did to Kent State. While the Gophs have a very good OL unit, it is not a big line and they are not going to be able to just line up and blow the Bison off the ball. But here is what I'm getting at: Minnesota is going to have to put the ball in the air, and who knows what kind of effort you are going to get from Cupito? He is a superior athlete to Steve Walker, but Walker has big-time guts, something nobody would accuse Cupito of having. NDSU is also catching the Gophers between road games at Wisconsin and Ohio State, not to mention that Glen Mason has a history of bringing ill-prepared teams that play sloppy games (esp. on special teams) to various games throughout the season (case in point, Wisconsin last year). Glen Mason is going to get out-coached in this game by coach Bohl, the Bison are going to stuff the run and send the house at Byan Cupito, beat the Gophers in the special teams battle, and WIN this game on the strength of a gutsy as hell performance by Steve Walker. NDSU 23, Minnesota 17.

semobison
10-11-2006, 01:15 AM
NDSU 35 MVS 17, Lets take care of this weeks game first. :(

Tatanka
10-11-2006, 01:24 AM
++

Tempting to look ahead, but NOT GONNA DO IT.
BISON 31 Grits 13

Buff01
10-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Let's see here. The gophers lost to Penn State, Michigan and Purdue. We beat Ball State, Georgia Southern etc..... Daryl, I don't think you can compare how we are going to do against the gophers based on who each of us has played. We have few (if any) players that could even start for Minnesota. The big ten is a huge leap up from where we are and even our division as a whole. Let's face it - a win here would be huge - a close game either way will be a victory for the Bison. You never know..............we have nothing to lose and this is when strange things happen.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-11-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm not saying that NDSU is a superior team or that the guys they have are better than Minnesota, not by a long shot. What I am saying is that in my opinion this is a year where Minnesota is down in talent compared to where they usually are and we are ideally positioned to catch a let down game from the Gophers. Not to mention that the Gophers under Glen Mason tend to have several games per year when they play rather uninspired football, which leads to them making mistakes, blowing leads and losing to teams that they have no business playing close games with. If both these teams come out and play their "A" games Minnesota should absolutely pound the Bison, but I wouldn't put it by the Gophers and Glen Mason to come out on the 21st and get caught with their pants down, not by a long shot. At the very least, this is a game well into the 3rd quarter.

By the way, I think the only team I really compared NDSU to was Kent State, who by the way is only one game better in the MAC than Ball State, a team we beat, even though the whole comparative wins/scores/numbers argument is a pretty weak one.

sambini
10-11-2006, 03:41 AM
++++++++++++++

Mr._Bill
10-11-2006, 03:59 AM
The gophers have a knack of snatching defeat from the grasp of victory. Conversely, this is a Bison team that knows nothing but winning. Even if the Bison have a 6-0 record, it will be virtually impossible for the gopher to get up for this game. The Bison will be way up, as will their fans. Temple will not show up for this game, and the gopher fans (surprising to them) will find themselves in a tight game.

If the Bison defense can establish some confidence early in the game, the game could develop into a tight contest. I will not predict a win, but it is possible if the bison can establish something on the ground, and continue their success in the controlled passing game.

Bison drive for a game tying score falls short. Gophers 31 Bison 23

(This prediction assumes a injury free game vs. MVS and a gopher loss vs. Wisky, and is subject to change until 10-15)

sway1331
10-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Let's take care of MVS first. NDSU 36 - MVS 10.

Woden
10-11-2006, 05:00 AM
31-28 NDSU. I don't need to give any reasons, just like the girlfriend on Waterboy said, "That's what the score is gonna be."

OrygunBison
10-11-2006, 06:30 AM
The "one game at a time" approach is very appropriate for players, but it seems stupid to constantly preach this to fans. Let people get stoked about the game. It's not like I'm going to pad up and be distracted.

Jeez...

WYOBISONMAN
10-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Gophers by 21........they are The Big 10........

semobison
10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Lets get stoked about homecoming and MVS. Minnesota BIG 10 people. I hope we can keep it respectable. I am looking foreward to our GWF conference games more than the Gopher game. Lets put back the deer opener for Cal Poly and get 18000 in the dome for that one so we can finally beat those guys. Beating the gophers would be a BIG upset but winning the conference would be bigger. We havnt done that yet.

TransAmBison
10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Would love to see a full crowd for Cal Poly...but I don't think it will happen.

WYOBISONMAN
10-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Would love to see a full crowd for Cal Poly...but I don't think it will happen. *

I will be there with my wife......that's two more than are usually in attendance...... ;)

norman_dale
10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
But here is what I'm getting at: Minnesota is going to have to put the ball in the air, and who knows what kind of effort you are going to get from Cupito? He is a superior athlete to Steve Walker, but Walker has big-time guts, something nobody would accuse Cupito of having.

Hey dumbass, Cupito played the entire second half of 2005 season with a separated left shoulder after getting knocked out of the Michigan game. Do you think his experiences in front of 110,000 Michigan fans, or 106,000 fans from Penn State, or 82,000 fans from Wisconsin are going to intimidate him in front of the 14,000 fans that might make it into the Metrodome from an opposing team?

What about the 82 yard touchdown drive he lead the Gophers on in the final 3 minutes against Penn State last week to tie the game. Checking down to his 3rd option on a 4th and 2 play that gained 48 yards? What about leading his team back from an 11 point defecit against Purdue in 2005 to send the game into OT when all looked lost? Maybe you haven't seen him throw for 396 yards against an Ohio State defense that sent 9 guys to the NFL but I have.

The Gophers may have to throw the ball to beat the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the Big 10 but not NDSU's of the GWFC.

Bison_Dan
10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
But here is what I'm getting at: Minnesota is going to have to put the ball in the air, and who knows what kind of effort you are going to get from Cupito? *He is a superior athlete to Steve Walker, but Walker has big-time guts, something nobody would accuse Cupito of having.

Hey dumbass, Cupito played the entire second half of 2005 season with a separated left shoulder after getting knocked out of the Michigan game. *Do you think his experiences in front of *110,000 Michigan fans, or 106,000 fans from Penn State, or 82,000 fans from Wisconsin are going to intimidate him in front of the 14,000 fans that might make it into the Metrodome from an opposing team? *

What about the 82 yard touchdown drive he lead the Gophers on in the final 3 minutes against Penn State last week to tie the game. *Checking down to his 3rd option on a 4th and 2 play that gained 48 yards? *What about leading his team back from an 11 point defecit against Purdue in 2005 to send the game into OT when all looked lost? *Maybe you haven't seen him throw for 396 yards against an Ohio State defense that sent 9 guys to the NFL but I have. *

The Gophers may have to throw the ball to beat the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the Big 10 but not NDSU's of the GWFC. *

I'm happy that you're so in love with your gopher team this year. Anytime that you have to give a scholarship to a student mgr and make him the backup qb you have a program that's in trouble. The gophers should win but it won't be a cake walk and they better play well or Mason won't have a job!

broke_back_mnt
10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Norman Dale is right. The Gophers are a very good football team. Anybody who watched them claw back against Penn State knows that. They will be a huge step above the best team we have played so far.

99Bison
10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
...We have few (if any) players that could even start for Minnesota. The big ten is a huge leap up from where we are and even our division as a whole...

However... A program brings in rshirt freshman and then works them into shape mentally and physically then apply's them into the system. So as is generally the case BSC/Big 10 schools will get their choice for freshmen, the 1A, 1AA, DII, etc. down the line.

So, first off there is a choice there, obviously since there is a large amount of judgement and measuring of high school kids potential going on, so you can't assume that out of 50 kids the BCS gets 50/50 right (if you can even measure what's right).

Second once the freshman comes in and gets "trained" mentally physically and in the system there is a measure of adaption going on, as in how good are the trainers, coaches, etc.

Third, again coaching pregame and system planning and in game adjustments and apply them to the personnel.

This is a high level of what goes on in building a team... So yeah of course you should end up with more talent higher up the chain. However, that is only one piece of the puzzle. Talent can overcome lack of ability in the other areas (coaching, etc) if the talent gap is wide enough and is realized. I am not convinced MN has reached it's talent potential (I hope not for MN sake) where as NDSU seems to have reaching talent maximization fairly well this year. Also it only takes 2 or 3 guys to have good or poor games regardless of talent to change the tide if much of the rest of the teams are even close to even.

In this games case I don't give an edge to the MN coaching staff. I am also hesitant to give NDSU staff the edge over MN because the coaching has been good thusfar and the team has gelled well however I am not sure we have faced a coaching staff as deep as MN and especially not the program as a whole. Perhaps MN can put together a gameplan more complex than any previous competitors.

What does this all mean... I have no idea. Oh ah, yeah MN should roll by 3 td's just because they should have chosen kids with more talent and they should be coached as well and they should execute as well. But we all know what shoulda, coulda, woulda gets you, Bison over Gophers.

norman_dale
10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
not sure what you meant by:

Anytime that you have to give a scholarship to a student mgr and make him the backup qb you have a program that's in trouble.

To my knowledge you aren't correctly referencing the Gophers. The back-up QB's are Mortenson and Maciejowski from MN and OH respectively. Both recruited and on scholarship although neither one will ever be the starting QB unless injuries occur. Unless Mason grabs a blue-chip JUCO QB next year we'll be starting with RS frosh Adam Weber who probably has a stronger arm than Cupito but not as accurate but is wickedly mobile. So the Gopher offense you see in 2006 will be a lot different than the one you'll see in the Dome in 2007. Much more of the spread/speed option.

We have few (if any) players that could even start for Minnesota. The big ten is a huge leap up from where we are and even our division as a whole.

True but I'd love to see Dragosavich kick in the Metrodome every Saturday.

IowaBison
10-11-2006, 07:12 PM
expecting to see a new coach too.

oh, wait you just resigned mason....................................

WYOBISONMAN
10-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Norman.............Welcome to the Bison Board! We are all looking forward to the big match at the Metrodome! It is good to see some insight from the Gopher faithful............

norman_dale
10-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Don't think Bohl wold bolt for the first opportunity to get back some plum job on the D1 circuit as a D-Coordinator again? Yes, Mason is locked up the next 4 years with any buyout decreasing in amount as the years go along. U of MN athletic Dept. does not have deep enough pockets to buy him out at this time although many in our fan base wish they could. Few however forget the lean Wacker and Gutekunst years some of which the classic Bison teams of DII lore could probably have beaten the Gophers.

Bison_Dan
10-11-2006, 07:35 PM
not sure what you meant by:

Anytime that you have to give a scholarship to a student *mgr and make him the backup qb you have a program that's in trouble.

To my knowledge you aren't correctly referencing the Gophers. *The back-up QB's are Mortenson and Maciejowski from MN and OH respectively. *Both recruited and on scholarship although neither one will ever be the starting QB unless injuries occur. *Unless Mason grabs a blue-chip JUCO QB next year we'll be starting with RS frosh Adam Weber who probably has a stronger arm than Cupito but not as accurate but is wickedly mobile. * So the Gopher offense you see in 2006 will be a lot different than the one you'll see in the Dome in 2007. *Much more of the spread/speed option. *

We have few (if any) players that could even start for Minnesota. * The big ten is a huge leap up from where we are and even our division as a whole.

True but I'd love to see Dragosavich kick in the Metrodome every Saturday. *

An unlikely Gopher
The middling Minnesota Gophers are using one of their 85 football scholarships on an equipment-manager-turned-fifthstring-quarterback. Surprised? So is the beneficiary. Mike Frankberg of Detroit Lakes, Minn., went to the U of M to study, choosing...
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - By Terry Vandrovec

99Bison
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Don't think Bohl wold bolt for the first opportunity to get back some plum job on the D1 circuit as a D-Coordinator again? Yes, Mason is locked up the next 4 years with any buyout decreasing in amount as the years go along. U of MN athletic Dept. does not have deep enough pockets to buy him out at this time although many in our fan base wish they could. Few however forget the lean Wacker and Gutekunst years some of which the classic Bison teams of DII lore could probably have beaten the Gophers.

plum... haven't seen the new bison offices huh.

norman_dale
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
and if you knew a little about the Gopher program you come to find out that the attrition rate amongst Mason's recruits as of late leaves something to be desired. Hence the open # of scholarships. Mason obviously saw something in Mike whether it be a kid working his ass off or doing a good job on the scout team to warrant a scholly this year. Remember scholarships are just a 1 year committment. Don't think it wouldn't be taken away if Mason needed to oversign recruits next year. Mason also has a good history of turning walk-ons nito scholarship starters over their 4-5 years at Minnesota so you never can tell.

74BisonFan
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Our extended family has 10 seats for the Gopher game.

I am concerned the yards are going to come hard for the offense. From what I have seen the Gophers defense is not going to make some of the mistakes we have seen so far this year. The key will be the match up between our defense and the Gopher offense.

MN 28
NDSU 17

norman_dale
10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
You wrote the following as reason why Bohl wouldn't leave his "plum" job at NDSU.

What is Bohl's base salary at NDSU. I found the following link:

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=89098

Granted this was for 2005 but with base + incentives + camps ~ $ 150,000. Hell a graduate of the NDSU School of Pharmacy can start right up at around $110,000 with the right store. Point is, the pay scale from Division IAA head coaches to Division I is greater than the difference than the athletic ability between a D1 football player than D1-AA. Bohl's salary as a D coordinator at a BCS school would be more than he is making as a head coach righ now.

NDSUstudent
10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
You wrote the following as reason why Bohl wouldn't leave his "plum" job at NDSU. *

What is Bohl's base salary at NDSU. *I found the following link:

Granted this was for 2005 but with base + incentives + camps ~ $ 150,000. *Hell a graduate of the NDSU School of Pharmacy can start right up at around $110,000 with the right store. *Point is, the pay scale from Division IAA head coaches to Division I is greater than the difference than the athletic ability between a D1 football player than D1-AA. * Bohl's salary as a D coordinator at a BCS school would be more than he is making as a head coach righ now.

The only D-cord job Bohl would be interested in would be one in the NFL, if he is going to leave NDSU for the I-A level it will be as a head coach. Right now though he appears to be pleased with being the "king of Fargo" according to a column in today's local paper.

Here is a quote from the article....

“Coaches move because they’re frustrated where they are or they move because they feel like they have to make a move. I’m not in either of those situations,” Bohl said. “And people often look at these things and say, ‘Money has to be a big driving factor because there is so much money out there.’ Honestly, that’s not a real priority for me at this stage.”

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=142509

99Bison
10-12-2006, 03:07 AM
You wrote the following as reason why Bohl wouldn't leave his "plum" job at NDSU. *

What is Bohl's base salary at NDSU. *I found the following link:

Granted this was for 2005 but with base + incentives + camps ~ $ 150,000. *Hell a graduate of the NDSU School of Pharmacy can start right up at around $110,000 with the right store. *Point is, the pay scale from Division IAA head coaches to Division I is greater than the difference than the athletic ability between a D1 football player than D1-AA. * Bohl's salary as a D coordinator at a BCS school would be more than he is making as a head coach righ now.

I think we have a different definition of plum and how it's applied...

WYOBISONMAN
10-12-2006, 04:15 AM
It probably would not hurt to get the salary of Bohl moved on up......I would think he ought to get paid close to what Joe Glenn is getting here in WYO. After all, we are one of the premier programs in DI-AA....

lakesbison
10-12-2006, 05:00 AM
I really expect NDSU to keep the game competitive..

but im thinking Minn 31 NDSU 17....

but MINNESOTA is BIG TIME hurting... MASON keeps bringin in 2nd tier ohio area players.. OR.... players like this in Sid's column..

The Gophers football team received its 15th commitment for 2007 when Duane Bennett, a running back from Fairview Heights, Ill., picked Minnesota after making a visit here. Bennett also was being recruited by Missouri, Miami of Ohio and Northern Illinois.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WOW.. such powerhouses.... NOT..... embarassing for us TRUE gopher fans from yesteryear!!

Cretin Durham Hall has 5 D 1 players on offense, NONE goin to Minnesota

norman_dale
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
have playing in the NFL right now? How many Division I teams have had 2 RB's go over 1000 yards in a season? None. Ever. How many times has Minnesota done it? Twice.

but MINNESOTA is BIG TIME hurting... MASON keeps bringin in 2nd tier ohio area players.. OR.... players like this in Sid's column..

The Gophers football team received its 15th commitment for 2007 when Duane Bennett, a running back from Fairview Heights, Ill., picked Minnesota after making a visit here. Bennett also was being recruited by Missouri, Miami of Ohio and Northern Illinois.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WOW.. such powerhouses.... NOT..... embarassing for us TRUE gopher fans from yesteryear!!

We had a nice little running back come come from that exact area of Illinois a few years ago. Only other scholarship offer was from Illinois who later pulled it and Missouri. He now wears #39 for the New England Patriots.

We also started in our first game a true frosh from Edwardsville, IL named EJ Jones who tweaked his ankle and has only had 1 carry since and undoubtedly will redshirt now. The Gophers have had a RB go over 1000 yards for the past 7 seasons. Plug them into Mason's effective zone-blocking scheme with a few good Upper Midwest born and bred lineman and voila, 1000 yards running back.

Just to give you an example. I think it was back in 2000 we had back named Terry Jackson who got significant playing time due to injuries early in the season. Marion Barber III suffered a serious hammy pull. So we plug in the lightly recruited Jackson and he runs for 1300 yards. Next year Jackson transfers to Southern Illinois where he never sees the light of day. He had to transfer as we had a starting backfield of Barber, Tapeh and Maroney - all in The League right now.

I wouldn't ever diss our RB's recruits.

IowaBisonToo
10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I will give Mason that, he can recruit RBs. *How he finds them, I don't know. *You can't tell me any of the other Big 10 teams have had the consistency that Mason has had at the RB position. *That's one of the beefs my Hawkeye fan buddy has down here, Iowa can't recruit RBs like MN can. *Maybe it's the offensive scheme as Normie says.

The question is, why the hell can't MN win more? *I mean, when you have two guys on your team that each rush for more than 1000 yds in a given season and you end up in some half-assed bowl game on December 27/28, there's something missing. *Is it an effective QB? *Lord knows it's not a TE or an O-line. *Maybe it's the whole D that's the problem.

As a MN fan (after a Bison fan first and foremost), I would rather see one or two good years where they get to the Rose Bowl or something of similar stature and then a few lean years rather than the mediocrity that Gopher fans have seen over the past years. *Hopefully with the new stadium going up, that will help the local MN blue-chippers stay and play for the maroon and gold. *Over the years, it's really hard to believe the number of Minnesota kids that have ended up playing for teams like Fl St. or Miami or places like that and not one has been talked into staying at home. :( :( :( :(

SDbison
10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Some respect from gopher fans at Gopherhole even though the first poster doesn't know how to describe DI-AA (IIA?):

Great Plains Gopher
(10/11/06 5:58 pm)
Reply I figure 8-4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somebody will upset us and we will upset somebody...speaking of upsets, the Gophers better not look past North Dakota State - they are 5-0 and ranked 5th in IIA. Plus they have a lot of Minnesota kids who would love to win in the Dome against the Gophers on TV.

metrolax
(10/11/06 6:16 pm)
Reply You're right about NDSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've always figured that the top 10 in I-AA
can compete with middle of the pack I-A
teams on any given day. NDSU will be highly
motivated.

I think the Bison will push us, and that we'll
respond with a decent effort.

BisonMav
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
35-21 Gophers, Bison stop the run, but not the pass.

SDbison
10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I am going to predict a Bison win over the Gophers. Really don't care what the final score is or by how much the Bison win. I will leave the prognostication up to all you Las Vegas gamblers. I have a tough time as a NDSU Alumnus, Teammaker and avid fan with predicting THIS team will lose to any team (mid level DI-A and below). I think it will be important that everyone considering going to the game (I hope 20,000+) will believe in the Bison and cheer to the end of the game. We need to show the DI-A world, Gopher athletics, and their fans that Bison football is a force to be reckoned with and the Bison nation has great tradition and support. Some of you might call me a homer, overly optomistic, or a fool, but I don't give a crap because I really believe in the athletes and coaches at NDSU. To date these guys have impressed me with their ability to rise to the occasion. Don't see it any different this time......the Gophers are no Goliath.
Go Bison, Gophers Suck!

IowaBisonToo
10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Gophers 31 - Bison 17

The Bison shut down Pinnix and limit him to 70-some yards but Cupito and Wheelright (sp?) get their roll on.

My heart would like to see Bison 27 - Gophers 24

Bison_Dan
10-12-2006, 07:22 PM
We need to stop there running game. If we can make them one dimensional then we have a chance.

Bison 28-20

Gamehunter
10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
no, honestly....the only way we have a chance is if Walker pulls another Ball State. THAT is the ONLY way we have a chance. I highly doubt Steffes is going to do much at all against the Gophers so our entire offense is going to rest on Steve and his ability to make plays.

The defense can hold Minnesota to less than 30 points but it needs consistant drives from the Offense(aka Steve). If this doesn't happen, UM will put up high 30's...something like the Y-town Penn State game.

Gully
10-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Bison stay within 17.

Hippie_Stick
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
35-21 Gophers, Bison stop the run, but not the pass.

Like, WOW, Gil-Dude!! *Like, you and me, man, we're, like, on the same wavelength, man. *Like, I was thinkin' the same thing, dude!!!

Man, we got karma, my brotha! *You gotta come out to the cucumber commune sometime and I'll, like, turn you on to some ground dried cucumber rind, man. *Man, like, no one knows you can smoke that sh*t and just get knocked on your duff, man!!!!!

It's, like, been my little secret, man. *Also, Brother Gil, like, the peyote harvest is almost done here in eastern Montana, but there's still A LOT of shroomage to be found, man! *I have access to some private land, like, north of Wibaux, dude, and it's growing thick and gooey on the north side of boulders like a rash on a UND's chick's azz!

Dry it for a couple days, mix it in some tea, man, you're in la-la-land in no time!

Anyway, Gil-Dude. *Peace and Hendrix to you, soul brother!

Oh, like, a prediction, man! *I'm looking right into the famous Hippe Stick Bongwater Crystal Ball as we speak, man, and the resin is sayin':

UM 40
NDSU 14

Man, but, like, that's, like, not meant to be a buzz kill, Herd dudes and dudettes! *This is the really big BIGS and Hippie Stick thinks we'll have to, like, take a couple shots at 'em, like, 'til we stick 'em!

Gotta go! *My package of "experimental" seedlings just arrived FedEx from the NDSU Agronomy Lab and I gotta do some plantin' along the creek, like, if you know what I mean!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Former_Hitman
10-12-2006, 09:15 PM
This may have been said (I'm not going to read three pages worth), but let's not look past this weekend first.

Yeah, it fun to think about Gopher/Bison game, but one game at a time.

bisononce
10-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Intangibles. The Bison have "it" this year. The Gophers are down, without their 1000 yd. running back duo and all world offensive line duo. Coach Mase has a cloud over his head. And the Gophers find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of seeming victory. They (gophers) DO NOT have "it." Bison win. *:o

99Bison
10-12-2006, 11:04 PM
I am going to predict a Bison win over the Gophers. Really don't care what the final score is or by how much the Bison win. I will leave the prognostication up to all you Las Vegas gamblers. I have a tough time as a NDSU Alumnus, Teammaker and avid fan with predicting THIS team will lose to any team (mid level DI-A and below). I think it will be important that everyone considering going to the game (I hope 20,000+) will believe in the Bison and cheer to the end of the game. We need to show the DI-A world, Gopher athletics, and their fans that Bison football is a force to be reckoned with and the Bison nation has great tradition and support. Some of you might call me a homer, overly optomistic, or a fool, but I don't give a crap because I really believe in the athletes and coaches at NDSU. To date these guys have impressed me with their ability to rise to the occasion. Don't see it any different this time......the Gophers are no Goliath.
Go Bison, Gophers Suck!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TransAmBison
10-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Bison 24
Gophers 21

I told you the score, if I told you how it would happen you wouldn't have to go to the game. :)

broke_back_mnt
10-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Here's a look at some of the little things. *Often the difference when your looking for an upset.

Lets look at what we know.

1) *Its likely the BISON are over matched
2) *The BISON are a dominate DI-AA football team
3) *The overwhelming dominance NDSU shows in the statistics is probably an equalizer for the perceived superiority of the Big Ten team.

Result, excellent football game that could be up for grabs. *If anybody goes to the wood shed its going to be NDSU.*Take NDSU and the points.

The big weakness:

NDSU better not put the ball on the ground. *the Gophers are very opportunistic. *The BISON have their problems. *Let this game be the one without any fumbles.

Hopeful signs:

The Gophers have a desperate offense that goes on 4th down. *The BISON have to stop the third down conversion. *Word for the day, 4th and long for the Gophers.

What the BISON may lose on a turnover they might get back on penalties.

The Big Ten is a strong league but the BISON can exploit the Gophers weakness on third down, both sides of the ball.

Conclusion:

Im going to go with Coach Bohl. *He had questions this summer about The Teams readiness for this game, but I have to believe we arent that far off. *That makes this an even game, say Gophers +3 with home field. *I dont see Minnesota having a much wider advantage than that, at this point, but why would anybody call this game before game week? *Right now its only about 3 hrs from game day! *The HOMECOMING GAME!!

Call on this one coming later.*

Wow! what a game it might be! *

TaTonka_31
10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Just like any football game at any level, if you can run the ball and stop the run you will be in most games. The Bison D and O lines will have to have the game of their lives in order to win. IMO

Paulie
10-14-2006, 05:56 AM
NDSU wins by 2.

gwendel
10-14-2006, 01:11 PM
No predictions. I'd just like to think we have a chance and will at least be competitive.

But here's encouraging news:

If you take away victories over vastly inferior opponents Kent State and Temple, Minnesota has scored on just 10 of 45 possessions in regulation and is averaging 19.8 points a game. Against Big Ten and bowl teams last season, the Gophers scored an average of 33.9 points a game.

Complete story here:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/colleges/15736364.htm

U fizzles after fast starts -- The point of the article seems to be that Minnesota almost always scores on the first drive of the game, then doesn't score again for 8-11 possessions. So, we shouldn't get too discouraged if the Bison are down 7-0 6 or 8 minutes into the game. So was Purdue.

broke_back_mnt
10-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Late in the second qtr Wisconsin leads the Gophers 21-7. Hard hitting game, Gophers are shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. The Badgers have the running game working well and are driving, deep in Gopher territory. Its a harder hitting game than we are accustom to seeing.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Sitting here watching Minnesota get blown out in a big-time rivalry game againts Wisconsin, I am on the fence about my pick at this point. With the Gophers getting an absolute woodshed beating administered this week, Glen Mason will think that wooping up on NDSU will somehow make up for not showing up in a big game. However, a buddy of mine also pointed out that both Minnesota and Northwestern have the same record overall and in the Big Ten conference, and Northwestern got spanked by 1-AA New Hampshire. I'm not one to play the comparative score index, but I think this could be an interesting game, but I'm thinking it is less likely that NDSU will hang in there now that the Gophers are going to be looking to take out some frustration after losing the Axe to the Badgers again.

tcbison
10-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I really wish that Minnesota would have one Big Ten win coming into the game with the Bison. If NDSU's plays well or wins you know everyone will be calling for Mason's job. Also, people will say that the Gophers haven't beat anyone which would undermine NDSU's play.

kchats
10-14-2006, 08:58 PM
I think NDSU's defense is good enough to keep the Bison in the game and I think Steve Walker and the passing game is good enough to give the Bison a chance to win. Remember in my opinion Coach Bohl is a better coach than Coach Mason so the Bison might be able to outcoach the Gophers. Right now I say Bison win a close game by less than 3 points.

Mr._Bill
10-14-2006, 11:49 PM
A couple of key injuries could hurt the gophers. Banks DB out with a broken arm, Spaeth was getting treatment for a wrist injury, Cupito has hit around all day. I'm waiting to see what the gopher damage was after a woodshed beating by the Badgers.

Shawn-O
10-14-2006, 11:51 PM
This game couldn't be happening at a better time for the Bison. Wisconsin destroyed the Gophers today 48-12, and the natives are about as restless as I've seem them in the last five years. If the Bison get off to a quick start, they will turn on Mason in a hurry. I predict a close game, not sure which way it's going to go yet. If the Bison play as well at Metrodome as I think they will, the Gopher faithful will be having visions of Craig Bohl in a maroon and gold golf shirt, I'll tell you that much.

NoDakSt
10-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Wisconsin destroyed the Gophers today 48-12

I think we'll catch an angry GOpher team and angry fans...you know what they say about a cornered animal. Although...i don't know if that applies to a Gopher.....

GOPHS 28/Bison 21

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Wisconsin destroyed the Gophers today 48-12

I think we'll catch an angry GOpher team and angry fans...you know what they say about a cornered animal. *Although...i don't know if that applies to a Gopher.....

GOPHS 28/Bison 21

I see where you're coming from, but this is not a proud program.

MinotBison
10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I haven't checked, but what are the Gopher faithful saying on their message board as far as a score prediction?

99Bison
10-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Bison by 11.

99Bison
10-15-2006, 03:12 AM
This is going to be a close game...

Everything (comparisons galore) points to a close game except the pure label of "Big Ten," which doesn't mean squat if you are aren't intimidated by a name.

mercenarybison
10-15-2006, 03:42 AM
This isn't one of the better Minnesota teams, but they aren't bad at home. They played respectably against Michigan and would have beaten Penn State if not for a bad call. Minnesota isn't Ball State. Their talent level is much better.

I think we'll make a game of it, but I would be very surprised if we win.

Minn 28 NDSU 10

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Jim Souhan captures the mood in Gopherville:

http://www.startribune.com/150/story/743281.html

The program is teetering on rock-bottom. NDSU has the opportunity to push them over.

NDSUstudent
10-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Well my prediction on this game has gone like this....

05-11-2006

NDSU falls by 14

8/25/2006

NDSU-24 Minnesota-38

Last Week

28-17 Gophers

Today
28-24 BISON

NDSU will want it more and that will be there for everyone to see on the scoreboard at games end.

Hammerhead
10-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Shouldn't the goofers be teetering on the edge if we are to push them over? :P

I first thought the Bison would get creamed until this season started. Now, I'm just hoping the Gohers are startign to pack it in for the year and overlook NDSU. Either that, or they are hopping mad and we are in for a serious beat-down.

The program is teetering on rock-bottom. *NDSU has the opportunity to push them over.

cabis
10-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Now that MVSU is out of the way, I am sure that we can really get this thread going!!! As the wise Sambini reminds us; one game at a time.
My initial thoughts on this game boil down to coaching and character over "talent" and scholarship numbers. Any 1-A team and especially a Big Ten team has an inherent recruiting advantage over NDSU. All things being equal virtually every high school recruit will choose a 1-A offer over 1-AA. The Big Ten only adds to the cachet. They also get to pick 22 more of them than NDSU. So even if you are not that good at evaluating talent the 1-A teams get to make 22 mistakes and still come out ahead. Their coach makes just about $2 million a year; ours doesn't. On paper it shouldn't be close. On the field who knows???
Minnesota is not a very good football team. They seem to find ways to lose rather than win. Even when they had one of the best ground games in the nation they couldn't put it together. NDSU on the other hand is a very good football team. They have not played mistake free football yet this season but are still 6-0. They have given themselves lots of opportunities to lose games yet have always come through. Mistakes don't seem to faze this team and that speaks to coaching and character.
It won't be that close. NDSU 34 Minnesota 20.

MinotBison
10-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Now that MVSU is out of the way, I am sure that we can really get this thread going!!! *As the wise Sambini reminds us; one game at a time.
My initial thoughts on this game boil down to coaching and character over "talent" and scholarship numbers. Any 1-A team and especially a Big Ten team has an inherent recruiting advantage over NDSU. All things being equal virtually every high school recruit will choose a 1-A offer over 1-AA. The Big Ten only adds to the cachet. They also get to pick 22 more of them than NDSU. So even if you are not that good at evaluating talent the 1-A teams get to make 22 mistakes and still come out ahead. Their coach makes just about $2 million a year; ours doesn't. On paper it shouldn't be close. On the field who knows???
Minnesota is not a very good football team. They seem to find ways to lose rather than win. Even when they had one of the best ground games in the nation they couldn't put it together. NDSU on the other hand is a very good football team. They have not played mistake free football yet this season but are still 6-0. They have given themselves lots of opportunities to lose games yet have always come through. Mistakes don't seem to faze this team and that speaks to coaching and character.

Wow, I don't know about that. I just hope they don't get behind early. The offense will need to bring it's A game. Keep it close until the end, and then pull out a squeaker.

broke_back_mnt
10-15-2006, 06:51 AM
This isn't one of the better Minnesota teams, but they aren't bad at home. *They played respectably against Michigan and would have beaten Penn State if not for a bad call. *Minnesota isn't Ball State. *Their talent level is much better.

I think we'll make a game of it, but I would be very surprised if we win.

Minn 28 NDSU 10

I hear ya! 8-) I havent called the game yet but one thing is clear. I dont care what the Gophers have for a record. They are one good football team.

Its not unfair to add that The BISON will come to win.

99Bison
10-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Now that MVSU is out of the way, I am sure that we can really get this thread going!!! As the wise Sambini reminds us; one game at a time.

Yes, it should be very interesting to see what difference "talent" really makes in this case with all the other differences.

gwendel
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Jim Souhan says:

This week, the Gophers play at the Metrodome against dreaded North Dakota State. You would think the Gophers couldn't lose to a Division I-AA team, but, then, the Gophers were remarkably uncompetitive on Saturday, and their problem didn't seem to be a lack of effort or motivation.

I love it! *;D

But I'm afraid a talented Gopher team is going to really be up for the Bison game because of such comments and many more like it to come this week, and to avoid a devastating embarrassment. *:-/

That's not to say the Bison can't win. Just that we will not be overlooked.

broke_back_mnt
10-15-2006, 09:40 AM
They are good. Ive seen them play. But so are we!! 8-)

We exposed ourselves today. We showed our depth. There is no drop off, not against the Gophers.

We have our hands full!!

rabidrabbit
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
:) From the AGS GWFC Week 8 post: ::)Before diving into the conference games, let's look to our northern bovines, who get a 2nd opportunity to upstage a IA team, but this time, it's a Big 10 cellar dweller, U of MN Gophers. NDSU has been dominant in virtually all aspects of their games. They need to keep turnovers to a minimum. This Gophs team is not playing on all cylinders, and has a good game (Penn St.) then get humiluated by Wis. Bison faithful and Mn based NDSU fans will make this feel like a NDSU home game. A win here sets a non-playoff eligible team up to be the #1 pick in the IAA. Bison are in a no lose position, and the MN Gophs a no win, this could be a 2nd IA win for the Bison. This could be the game that cans the UM coach. However, I think the Gophs will find a way to win this "mid season breather". UM 28 - NDSU 21. :'(

While I WANT to see the Gophs go down, I think they know that this will be one of their few opportunities for a win this year. Best of Luck/Skill/domination as shown at GSU/Ball St. Bison!

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.pavekmuseum.org/images/hartman_med.jpg

Per this morning's "Sports Huddle": "gophers win this game easy.........three, four, five touchdowns."

No_Skill
10-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I can't wait for our "beating". ::)

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Hopefully NDSU wins this game, causing Sid Hartman to lose the last of what few marbles he has.

bisonaudit
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM

Per this morning's "Sports Huddle": *"gophers win this game easy.........three, four, five touchdowns."

This is your source for voratious and unbiased reporting?

I'm sure he's got a lot of love four your skaters too. For a UND fan you're reaching pretty deep.

Sid is the FOX news of Minnesota athletics.

bisonaudit
10-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm not convinced we can win but you'd better come with something better than Sid.

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Per this morning's "Sports Huddle": *"gophers win this game easy.........three, four, five touchdowns."

This is your source for voratious and unbiased reporting?

I'm sure he's got a lot of love four your skaters too. *For a UND fan you're reaching pretty deep.

Sid is the FOX news of Minnesota athletics.

Dude, I'm making fun of him. I think the Bison can win this game. Don't just look at the UND helmet in my avatar and jump down my throat...jeez.

TaTonka_31
10-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I would feel a lot better about this game if the Gophers had played a competitive game against Wisconsin and lost vs being humiliated. They will be playing for the individual pride of the players as well as for the pride of program at home.

This fact has made the game that much tougher.

The Bison players will need to tighten their chin straps and expect the best game the gophers can possibly play. If the Bison can win this game under these circumstances, it would be absolutely remarkable.

Note: I would be very careful about any more posts predicting a Bison victory for the sake of the Bison players and the program. Not a good idea.

NDSUstudent
10-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I would feel a lot better about this game if the Gophers had played a competitive game against Wisconsin and lost vs being humiliated. *They will be playing for the individual pride of the players as well as for the pride of program at home. *

This fact has made the game that much tougher. *

The Bison players will need to tighten their chin straps and expect the best game the gophers can possibly play. *If the Bison can win this game under these circumstances, it would be absolutely remarkable.

Note: *I would be very careful about any more posts predicting a Bison victory for the sake of the Bison players and the program. Not a good idea.

We are 6-0 and playing good football I don't think it is a bad thing if some are saying NDSU can win, we are Bison fans it's a good thing to think your team is going to win. I think we can win but if we lose or even lose big I won't be angry as long as our players give it their all I will be happy with whatever happens.

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
This is one of the best Sports Huddle shows I've heard in a long time. Now it's up to "40-0". If the Gophers lose, "the world will come to an end." Come down, Bison fans. Who cares if you don't have a ticket? Show up, there will be tickets there.

kchats
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
I have seen Mason coach at Kansas and Minnesota. He isn't a good coach. The Gophers are as good as they will be under Mason. Coach Bohl is showing us that he is a very good coach. He is building the team up from a division II team with 36 scholarships to a very good to great division I-AA team with 63 scholarships. Remember the Bison were 2-8 the year before he was hired, although there were a ton of injuries and it was the first season without Lamar gordon. Coach Bohl has demonstrated that he has a system he wants to run on offense, defense and special teams and that he knows how to recruit players for his systems. I believe that is what makes a very good coach and we have one.

Coaching edge in the game goes to the Bison and I would bet most Kansas and Minnesota fans would agree on that.

Tatanka
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Bison 23 rodentia 21.

Looking forward to watching the game with 10000+ Bison FANS and a few thousand more curious onlookers.

The only prediction I'll put money on though is that I will be hoarse after the game, likely for at least three days.

GO BISON

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
.....a few thousand more curious onlookers. *

I resemble that remark. ;D I've been on the fence, but being the glass half-full guy that I am, I want the outcome that's best for both programs. That would be a Bison victory.

Gully
10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
There must have been 8-10 Bison calls into Sid's show. I think there is much more interest in NDSU than there is in the Goophers. This should be a fun week.

I think we can make it a game but I'll still pick the Gophers by 14-17 points. I hope I'm wrong but to stay within 2-3 scores would be a very good showing....and......on any given Saturday you never know.

Trimmy
10-15-2006, 05:44 PM
If we can just somehow keep it within a couple scores, then, you never know. Crazy things happen.

Come on stars, ALIGN!!!

OrygunBison
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I keep reading things about "hopefully they overlook us" and "they are going to have a hard time recovering from Madison", etc.

Let me go on record by saying that I really hope that both teams bring their "A-game". Who wants to win a game because they were overlooked? That would be pitiful. I hate the idea that a win in MSP will be treated like the Bison won a championship.

No moral victories, no celebrations, just Bison Ball. Let's act like we've been here before.

EVERYBODY UP FOR THE KICKOFF!!!

TaTonka_31
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I would feel a lot better about this game if the Gophers had played a competitive game against Wisconsin and lost vs being humiliated. *They will be playing for the individual pride of the players as well as for the pride of program at home. *

The Bison players will need to tighten their chin straps and expect the best game the gophers can possibly play. *If the Bison can win this game under these circumstances, it would be absolutely remarkable.

Note: *I would be very careful about any more posts predicting a Bison victory for the sake of the Bison players and the program. Not a good idea.

We are 6-0 and playing good football I don't think it is a bad thing if some are saying NDSU can win, we are Bison fans it's a good thing to think your team is going to win. I think we can win but if we lose or even lose big I won't be angry as long as our players give it their all I will be happy with whatever happens.

Who said anything about not hoping or thinking we can win.

All I am saying is give the Bison players a break and show UM some respect because stuff that is written on these boards will end up in their locker room for sure. If you have ever been an athlete or a coach. That is the last thing you want. UM has enough motivation already.

Talk about the Bison winning by two touchdowns belongs down at the beer bar, not for public consumption

Shawn-O
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Message boards like this are the modern day beer bar, whether you like it or not.

KC7
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
There must have been 8-10 Bison calls into Sid's show. *I think there is much more interest in NDSU than there is in the Goophers. *This should be a fun week.

I think we can make it a game but I'll still pick the Gophers by 14-17 points. *I hope I'm wrong but to stay within 2-3 scores would be a very good showing....and......on any given Saturday you never know.

I think Gully is right. The Bison are playing awesome football, but this is the Big 10 and they are at home, they will be heavy underdogs. If The Herd gets some breaks early this will be a nail biter. If the bison make mistakes early this could get ugly. Bohl has done such a good job of preparing this team week in and week out, he will field a team that has a chance. Coaches coach and Players play, every player will need to bring his best game against the gophers.

Side point: All the hype and pregame activities that happen the week before the game might fuel a fire for one team, but it only last a series or two, after that it's up to the character of the individual team and the individual players to carry the torch till the final quarter ends.

kchats
10-15-2006, 07:13 PM
KC7 how much would you have enjoyed playing the Gophers in the dome? The teams you played on were well coached with lots of talent too.

NDSUstudent
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM

Who said anything about not hoping or thinking we can win. *

All I am saying is give the Bison players a break and show UM some respect because stuff that is written on these boards will end up in their locker room for sure. *If you have ever been an athlete or a coach. *That is the last thing you want. *UM has enough motivation already.

Talk about the Bison winning by two touchdowns belongs down at the beer bar, not for public consumption

If Minnesota needs message board quotes for motivation then they are in worse shape then I thought they where. Teams usually get their poster board material from opposing teams or maybe reporters and I doubt Bohl's team or our fine reporters here in Fargo will give the Gophers much material to work with. As for NDSU Winning by 2 tds, you probably have to be posting from the bar to make that kind of prediction, if NDSU wins it will be close(td or less).

Scooter
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow, I can't believe that Gopher week is finally here. *I'm very pleased with the progress of this Bison football team. *Now, the guys need to up their play again. *I was happy to see that some of the guys got to get a little rest this week. *We are going to need all of the guys healthy in order to get this game in the "W" collumn.

There are a few things that I have noticed about this Gopher football team...

1. *When the Gophers get rolling they can really stomp on your throat. *With that being said, this is also a team that tends to mail in the game when things start going wrong. *A few turnovers or missed assignments on defense by the Gophers and they may start pressing.

2. *This is the time of year that the Gophers lose a few games in a row. *EVERY YEAR this happens. *I know because this fact drives me nuts every year, like all Minnesotans.

3. *The Gophers play Ohio State next week. *I know they say they are focused on the Bison, but hey, that's a huge game. *And, one that they never seem to win. *

Things that I would like to see....

1. *From the Bison defense.... *when you stop the Gophers for no gain, or a short gain, don't spend a whole lot of time celebrating the play. *Act like that is the result that is expected. *Besides, you can't afford to waste the energy. *I remember my coach preaching this type of no celebration behavior and, I tell you what, it worked on two levels... 1. it helped reduce the amount of chippy retalliations *2. *it sends a message to the other team that you know that you are going to stop them and you EXPECT nothing less. *I have yet to throw a huge party over something that I expected to happen with the exception of milestone events in life. *Stopping a guy for no gain is not a milestone event when you have consistently done so 500 times this year. *I'm not saying that you shouldn't play with enthusiasm, simply play under control at all times. *POWER UNDER CONTROL

2. *From the Bison Offense.... *NO MISSED ASSIGNMENTS

Prediction.... *300,000 greenbacks and a great gage of this Bison football team. *GO BISON!!!

what the hell.... *Gophers have four turnovers, lose by 2 on a Bison 53 yard FG.

BTW Can we play one week without seeing a 6'5" wide reciever?!?!

Sidenote.... *This is a huge game for Glenn Mason for obvious reasons. *He is going to try and go for the jugular on the first series. *He has to.

NDSUstudent
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Sagarin ratings

Minnesota-46

NDSU-59(#5 in I-AA)

Looks like the makings for a close game, if NDSU gets off to a fast start things will get really interesting.

Sioux27
10-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Best of luck against the Goofs next week. Obviously by my screen name you can tell who I support. I will be at the game next week (This Sioux have a bye) and I will be silently in support of the Bison! Can't wait to play you guys again in '08.

Bisonguy
10-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Best of luck against the Goofs next week. *Obviously by my screen name you can tell who I support. *I will be at the game next week (This Sioux have a bye) and I will be silently in support of the Bison! *Can't wait to play you guys again in '08.

The game won't be in the Fargodome. You can be loud if you want to! ;)

RodentiaX1
10-16-2006, 02:25 AM
The Metrodome can be a very loud place, it really traps noise. The echoes also make it hard to hear the band, unless the band is facing you.

Kent State is rated #79 in Sagarin, and the Gophers beat them 44-0 on the road. According to Sagarin, the Gophers have played the 5th toughest schedule in the nation. My prediction is 40 - 17 Minnesota. Minnesota still has an outside change of getting to bowl elligibility, but even if they get to 6-6, that may not get them a bowl game.

Of course, it will all be settled on the field on Saturday.

Bisonguy
10-16-2006, 04:07 AM
I feel better about NDSU's chances after watching the Craig Bohl Show. Phil asked Craig if he thought that NDSU could win the game, and Craig quickly responded with a 'yes'. He also stated that they are going into the game with the goal of walking away with a victory. :)

max_cool
10-16-2006, 05:42 AM
newbie here, but I've been casualy following the bison ever since I left Fargo for, err browners pastures.

Just thought I'd chime in with my predition, Bison 13 Gophers 31. I don't mean to harp on the Bison I think they have a good shot of pulling off an upset. The bison can shutdown minn's run game and keep it close for the first half but minnesota will re-tool thier offense at half and will come out with a passing attack that I don't think the bison can stop effectively and then by the 4th minnesota should be able to run the ball due to the depth advantage they have ovr NDSU. I know what an average BCS team can do (ASU Sun Devils) and I think as long as the gophers show up for the game they will win. It should be a hell of a game for those that are going and I wish the Bison the best of luck.

optimist prediction, Bison 20 Gophers 17.

chuckles
10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Yes you could tell the positive attitude of both the Dahl brothers and Bohl tonight on the football show, plus from the little clip they showed at the end of Saturday's game in the locker room. Are boys will be prepared and put it all on the field Saturday, they know they have nothing to lose and everything to gain with this game.

Bison_Pride
10-16-2006, 09:23 AM
How in the world does a Big 10 school motivate itself to play down a division at this time of year? Personally I think that they are looking at this as a week off and will have to play the game of their lives to escape with a win in a close game. Can you imagine Mason and his coaches watching hours of tape on the Bison vs. Mississippi Valley State game? They gotta think they can win just by showing up.

They do play much better in the dome however and the winner is the team that scores first.

28-17

rabidrabbit
10-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Best of luck against the Goofs next week. *Obviously by my screen name you can tell who I support. *I will be at the game next week (This Sioux have a bye) and I will be silently in support of the Bison! *Can't wait to play you guys again in '08.

Wear your Green, Shout GO North Dakota, and the Gophs will know that you're not for them.

Look forward to seeing Sioux too!

BisonCardinal
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Halftime

NDSU - 7
Minn - 14

Final

NDSU - 21
Minn - 17

:)

NDSU, a second half team, scores twice. Minn, NOT a second half team, is held to a FG.

NDSU outcoaches Minn and NDSU special teams outperform Minn. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Bisondad
10-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I feel better about NDSU's chances after watching the Craig Bohl Show. Phil asked Craig if he thought that NDSU could win the game, and Craig quickly responded with a 'yes'. He also stated that they are going into the game with the goal of walking away with a victory. *:)

One thing on our side is that to coach Bohl, this is not that big of a game. *His days in Nebraska planning week in and week out for top notch opponents and playing for a national championship have served him well. *I'm sure he plans on winning!!!!!!!! *I hope he's right!!

bisonaudit
10-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Sagarin ratings

Minnesota-46

NDSU-59(#5 in I-AA)

Looks like the makings for a close game, if NDSU gets off to a fast start things will get really interesting.

NDSU is 4th the Sagarin ratings for I-AA. You should use the last column not the BCS number because the BCS number doesn't account of margin of victory. If you use the Sagarin number with the margin of victory in it we jump past Youngstown St. to 4th.

Sagarin ratings indicate the Gophers are favored 9 points.

gopherguy
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey All,

Gopher fan just wanted to drop by and add two cents/douse some flamers here.

Yes this is a very down year for the Gophers. Losing All American lineman and running backs does that to a program that cant reload.

I havent followed the Bison until today but it looks like you have a real good team! I am more excited for this game than I was before.

A few things that I wanted to throw out there.

First is the gophers are in a death spiral of sorts in terms of losing 4 in a row. I can guarantee they are HUNGRY for a win. They wont look over anyone. Losing teams dont look past opponents. Winning teams do. I dont understand the logic by some on this board that the Gophers are looking past NDSU. They want to win, to get back on track. This could be a good game, but if the Gophers come out firing it could be a throttling.

Second is the run game. Keep in mind that we are the only team to hang 100 on the best rush D in the country, Michigan. Unless you have secret michigan athletes hidden up there, I dont think you will fare much better.

All American candidate Alan Branch, DT at Michigan said post game: "they are definitely the best running team in the country". A future first round draft picks words

In fact I know you wont....BUT...

Thats nothing to be ashamed of. :) I am going to present you with the false hopes that is the Gophers run game"

Running doesnt equal win for us. >:(

424 on Michigan and 330 on a great Iowa defense and 310 on a great Wisky defense in recent years, and all were losses for Minnesota.

It really doesnt matter if we run. But I imagine us going for at least 200.

We also have the advantage of a scheme you havent seen, or at least executed to such a degree with our zone run game. Thats usually what has helped in bowl games and non conference. Big Ten is very familiar with our scheme by now but its still hard to stop.

Bison's best game plan would be to air it out...esp since we lost a starting cb. Get us throwing early and it could be trouble!

Also be interesting to see who Mason rests this week...we had a ton of injuries last week including our TE who will be an AA candidate this fall.

I read you run the Tampa 2. How is that working do you think? How long have you been running it?

Here is to an injury free game!

MinotBison
10-16-2006, 08:08 PM
We also have the advantage of a scheme you havent seen, or at least executed to such a degree with our zone run game. Thats usually what has helped in bowl games and non conference. Big Ten is very familiar with our scheme by now but its still hard to stop.

Okay all you players and/or defensive coaches out there, how do you defend against a "zone run" scheme?

Bisonguy
10-16-2006, 08:12 PM
NDSU has been running the Tampa 2 since the new head coach arrived in 2003.

The scheme has been working really well for NDSU, as they've been near the top in I-AA defensive statistics the last couple years. The front 7 is probably the strength of the defense right now, but the secondary is improving and getting more depth and athleticism.

gopherguy
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
How come more teams dont run Tampa 2? I know its the hot scheme in the NFL, and the NFL and college often run different schemes in general, but I dont know why more teams dont use the Tampa 2.

The zone run game isnt technically hard to defend. Execution is difficult. In its core Minnesota has 3 rush plays with one back, and 3-4 more with two backs.

Its a different style for fans who havent seen a team that runs exclusively zone teams. The plays are often very slow in developing, not a lot of down hill type runs. Yet when it gets going it adds up in a hurry.

Kind of like the Broncos in the NFL. They have 5 rushing plays. Execution is what makes it difficult to stop.

This year has been a down year for the MN running game but I think historically the Gophers run stats under Mason are near the tops in division one ball, and I know he holds clinics explaining his zone run scheme that are always very well attended.

We cant play defense! We wont light you up through the air. But god damnit we can run the ball.

IowaBison
10-16-2006, 08:42 PM
But god damnit we can run the ball.

This is going to be an interesting matchup.

gopherguy
10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Who are the three impact players on offense for NDSU?

You guys run a spread offense correct?

We have an awful time, traditionally, with spread offenses. Especially if your QB is mobile.

Should be an exciting game!

Bisonguy
10-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Who are the three impact players on offense for NDSU?

You guys run a spread offense correct?

We have an awful time, traditionally, with spread offenses. Especially if your QB is mobile.

Should be an exciting game!

I'll answer the questions out of order-

NDSU runs a West Coast Offense, with a tendency towards the run, although vs. Ball State, NDSU put up over 450 yards through the air. NDSU's QB isn't the most most mobile, but can be elusive at times and scramble for a nice gain.

Top 3 players (at least in the glamour positions)-

QB Steve Walker

RB Kyle Steffes

WR- Either Travis White or Kole Heckendorf.

IowaBison
10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
walker is not very mobile, but he is smart and executes well under pressure.

gopherguy
10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Do you run a lot of 3-4 reciever sets like most west coast offense? Mis direction on the run game?

Gophers are pretty traditional. One of the few teams I know that will run a jumbo package (no wrs, just te's fb and rb) on first down, and a lot of two reciever sets.

Also we run out of a unique bunch set that I havent seen a lot of places. When you see 1 wr on one side, and then another WR and TE standing up but right next to the tackle on the line of scrimmage, its a zone or toss to that side (like I said we have 7-8 run plays total). Sound wierd but looks like this (x's are wr, te qb etc, o is the line). We run to the side with the bunched recievers at the line. Its our best run play besides the counter. You will see it at least 15-18 times on Saturday

x ooooooxx
x

x

Also short yardage with a fullback, he will always get the carry (Valentine #18)

Bisonguy
10-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Not a lot of misdirection, and NDSU does have some zone running plays.

Also like to spread the ball around on the pass.

There are some 3-4 receiver sets, but I believe the standard I, two WR could be considered NDSU's base formation. Also plenty of singleback formations, two TE formations, Power I, three wide, I and move the fullback out in the slot, etc. Basically a decent array of formations.

Bisonguy
10-16-2006, 09:27 PM
walker is not very mobile, but he is smart and executes well under pressure.

Tell that to the Georgia Southern defense when he ran for the pylon. ;)

met1990
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Mr. T's prediction....Pain.

Flintstone
10-16-2006, 10:37 PM
The main reason I've heard why more teams don't run the Tampa 2 is because there just aren't enough coaches out there that know it well enough to make it work. This was given as the reason in one of the articles explaining why Gus was hired by the Bucs.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-16-2006, 11:18 PM
For what it's worth, which is probably not much, in this week's Sagarin rankings, Minnesota is at 49 and NDSU is at 56, so the gap is narrowing at least in the mathematical world. I know these numbers are not real important or indicative of the game results, but I'm just going to run with it and consider it a good sign.

broke_back_mnt
10-17-2006, 12:38 AM
The Gophers are full of good receivers.

Wheelright has 16 catches for 163 yds and no TDs. *No stat for dropped balls.

They have a lot of active receivers with Payne and Spaeth leading the way. *They are both effective receivers with Payne the go to guy having 7 TDs.

NDSU has a good rushing game, even considering the divisional difference we should be able to get the 170 yds you expect them to give. *What we need are the 2 touchdowns on the ground we expect. *If we get that we can give them their running game, but I dont think its going to come easily for them.

That means it comes down to the passing game. *NDSU has a slight edge there in overall performance. *Again you can call it even because of the divisional thing, but if thats the case NDSU gets the winning edge. *They have to stop us and still do better than average.

Thats a huge edge for the BISON and a big reason why you should take the points and NDSU. *Anybody know what that is right now?

The Saragin numbers are starting to get solid and mean something right now. *Thats a big difference but certainly possible, very possible.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm
Thats the current Saragin football rankings

NWSD
10-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Walker leads the Bison on a lengthy TD drive ending with a 10-20 yard TD reception with under 2 minutes left. Bison win 26-23. Bibeau has 4 field goals in the win.

broke_back_mnt
10-17-2006, 09:52 PM
BISON on the road by 1.

Here it is:

RUNNING GAME: *NEUTRAL

NDSU and Gophers are about equal. *This is a neutral category, but taken holistically *with the defense the Gophers need to have an above average day both on rushing the ball and on stopping the BISON. *The difference should take care of the supposed divisional disparity. *

KFAN never seems to know what DI-AA ball is and they are sports professionals! *They should get with it. They are rubes.

PASSING GAME: *NDSU BISON +1

As you all know by now NDSU is a passing team. *Reliable receivers, good QB, strong line. *Where they really shine is scoring. *The BISON score a lot of points through the air. *This is the edge. *The Gophers cant keep pace here, especially with the BISON defense against the pass. *Give them their game, put on the rush, and pick one or two off. *Advantage BISON. *

SPECIAL TEAMS: +1

NDSU has the advantage here. *Look for a field position game. *FGs are neutral. *The team that gets the most chances will get the most points.

LITTLE THINGS: NDSU +1

Ive covered this.

HOME FIELD: *Gophers -3

Give them the traditional 3. *Its deserving and might account for some of the “Divisional Difference”.

COACHING: *NDSU +1

I have to give this to The BISON. *Our Coaches know what it takes. *We didn't have to take this game. *We thought about it. *We have the guys to do it. *They are not going to give up as much as some people (coughsid) think on *the divisional disparity scale.

Net result BISON By 1. *That's it folks. *Its called.

That being said route factor to the Gophers. *This would be a big win for The NDSU BISON. *How much better is the Big 10? *The teams match up well. *On Staurday we find out. * 8-)

mebison
10-18-2006, 12:47 AM
As much as I can hope for it, I can't possibly predict a Bison win. This is the Big Ten, not Ball State. We lost a couple players against Ball State at least for a little while...now what will happen vs. a team in one of the top conferences in the country? All of our stats are against teams that are (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) worse than the worst teams the Gophers have played. We just don't have any good basis for common comparison.

Can the Bison win? Of course, any given saturday. And if there was a year to do it, this certainly looks like the one! But it would certainly be a surprise.

That being said,

Go Bison!!

virgfoss
10-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Priority Score Alert: Minnesota 62, ND State 3

SDbison
10-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Priority Score Alert: * Minnesota 62, ND State 3
What are you smoking?

virgfoss
10-18-2006, 01:23 AM
What are you smoking?

Common sense.

BisBison
10-18-2006, 01:27 AM
What are you smoking?

Common sense.

We'll see. Or maybe you will be speaking the same words McFeely McSquirrel was last week. "I'm sick of underestimating this team" Bison Roll 28-24

bisoningrandforks
10-18-2006, 01:39 AM
GOPHERS 47 BISON 17 IF ITS CLOSER THAN THAT,GREAT!!! ......FAGVOSS, YOU MAY HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE......BUT THE SIOUX STILL SUCK!!!

SDbison
10-18-2006, 01:41 AM
What are you smoking?

Common sense.

You apparently don't know much about this years Bison team or the state of the Gopher football program. Or maybe you aren't serious?

SDbison
10-18-2006, 02:05 AM
OK, I am going out on a limb and predicting a 31-24 Bison victory. Much as I don't like predictions I expect the Bison to win and don't care what the margin of victory is, 1 or 21 points. I see this game as a battle during the first quarter. Steffes on the ground and White in the air get first half TD's. Bison keep the lead and hang on to win by a TD. Bison D plays great only allowing some big play TD's to the Gophers.

Steph_Popowski
10-18-2006, 02:21 AM
I have just one question...What makes them sooooooooomuch better that the BISON? They still put the pants and pads on the same way- They are no better than the Bison! *They are coached just like any other team - if anything the Bison have a huge step on these guys- a good deal of them grew up watching this team that they thought were so great- Hello...these Bison are playing that team- What a major boost for the Bison- Mind over matter on this deal- The Bison are going to rise the to occasion and prove that they are worthy of playing this team (just like the last 6 teams they have played this season). I hope that after the game the Bison look at this game as thinking it really is not the team your playing but the team YOU brought to the field.
Back to my main question-sorry, I always seem to get off track somehow :)- What really makes them so much better than the Bison?

broke_back_mnt
10-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Thats a Homer call SDBison! ;D ;D

“Im drinkin chilies and gin
Im smokin dynamite”
Steven Tyler, Aerosmith

Hey, the parties on!!! BISON @ Gophers!!!!

GO BIZON!!!!!

NDSUstudent
10-18-2006, 02:57 AM
You know what many say NDSU can't come close to Minnesota because they played Penn St and Michigan close so a little old I-AA team like the Bison have no chance but that may not be the case.....

UC Davis-20
Stanford-17

Stanford-31
Norte Dame(made it to a BCS Bowl)-38

Stanford-27
UCLA(finished 10-2)-30

SIU-35
Indiana-28

Indiana-31
Iowa-28

Those I-A's that lost to fellow I-AA's played many a good I-A team close and even beat a few of them. Minnesota is a beat-up team both mentally and physically while we are playing with a ton of confidence and are coming off game where we rested most of our guys(especially the ones that needed it). I am not saying we are going to win but we have a chance and if we can get off to a fast start we will have a very good chance.

SDbison
10-18-2006, 02:58 AM
[quote author=JBB link=1160528642/120#130 date=1161139157]Thats a Homer call SDBison! * ;D ;D

quote]
If the hat fits wear it.

99Bison
10-18-2006, 03:48 AM
[quote author=JBB link=1160528642/120#130 date=1161139157]Thats a Homer call SDBison! ;D ;D

quote]
If the hat fits wear it.

Homer on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bison13
10-18-2006, 04:04 AM
The guy over at BisonInsider.com predicted a 34-17 bison win? :o I dont know If I agree with that but it could be a close game, and It could be an ugly game. For some reason, the BISON seem to always step up there game when needed. Especially this season. Walker will be a cool cat and the players will step up their game. I am a little worried about the "I cant wait to kill someone because we lost 48-12 last week" factor. Should be an interesting game
MN 28 Bison17

broke_back_mnt
10-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Homer on!!!! ;D ;D ;D Wouldnt have it any other way. 8-)

IowaBisonToo
10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Somebody needs to come and take my computer away from me. So hard to get work done this week! :o ;D

87Bisonfan
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Ditto! ++++++++ Should have never logged on this morning!

:) ;)

Former_Hitman
10-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not going to read 10 pages on this topic, however I need to add my 2 cents...

Many people think this game is a win win for NDSU and a lose lose win to Gophers..

I believe this game could be a win win lose for NDSU... If NDSU wins or stays within 2 scores or maybe 3 scores, I think NDSU wins, however if NDSU gets blown out by 3-4 more scores will hurt NDSU in many regards: Players Moral, Recruiting, Marketing of NDSU etc... (But then again, if NDSU gets blown out and then turn around and win out that's a different story)

If Gophers barely win or lose, of course this hurts them. *But if Gophers blows out NDSU this may give players/coahes a spark, however playing Ohio State next week will put out that spark quickly.

IowaBison
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Unless the Bison lose by 35 or more, I think they win.

I also don't see that happening.

SDbison
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Somebody needs to come and take my computer away from me. *So hard to get work done this week! :o ;D
Its not just the time at work. When I get home I am on and off the computer all night until past midnight. Getting to the point of exhaustion. Have to read everything (gopherhole, bisonville, AGS, Bison Zone, In- forum). My wife thinks I am nuts. Can't wait til Saturday.

scottheck
10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
My wife thinks I am nuts. **

Mine, too +++++++++++++++++++++++1

1 - Sambini

IowaBison
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
My wife thinks I am nuts.

My wife knows I am nuts.

mikelsch
10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Gophers 38 ---- NDSU 17

IowaBisonToo
10-18-2006, 08:48 PM

1 - Sambini
Mine thinks it's "childish."

99Bison
10-18-2006, 09:16 PM
My wife thinks I am nuts.

1 - Sambini

Same here+++++++++++++++++

Former_Hitman
10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Gophers: 45

Bison: 10

Me having a great time: 108

sambini
10-19-2006, 04:36 AM

1 - Sambini
Me too Scott +++++++++

scottheck
10-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Gophers 38 ---- NDSU 17

As much as I want the Bison to win, I'm a realist(too much optimism and I couldn't keep my job). I fall into this range, more like 31-17, bad guys.

tcbison
10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm hoping for the best. I like the fact the everyone is picking the Gophers to win. The Bison will fight till the end.

I'm not going to make a prediction, but all I can say is I will support the Bison throughout the whole game. I hope eveyone does! NDSU has a lot to be proud of.

bisononce
10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Here it is. The Bison have the "it" factor. This is a special, Cinderella season. Bison will win and will go undefeated. Coaching will out. Coach Bohl has a plan. Mase is floundering and the Gophers are a fragile, vulnerable lot. We have a magnificent front seven, that will stop the Gopher run. They will have to throw. The Bison are conditioned, as noted in our rise in the second half in all prior games. This second half/ conditioning factor will counter balance the "they are Big 10, more scholarship, deeper" factor. *;)

Mr_Meanor
10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
I really like the way the Bison match up for this game in all areas except for one and thats through the air. I really think the Bison will struggle against the pass. I think Wheelwright is going to have a huge day. I just don't see anyone on the Bison who will be able to cover a 6'5 reciever who has good speed for his size. I think it could be a long day for the secondary. However, I am hopeful the Bison will find a way to win this one.

scheelsguy
10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Win or lose??? We've already won.

BisonBacker
10-19-2006, 03:44 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++

gwendel
10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
From the Pioneer Press in a column called "Don't Print That."

Doesn't exactly predict a Bison win, but I think it suggests that Minnesota fans (or at least the media)
are sensing an impending cloud of doom coming in from the west.

Are those storm clouds, or just a cloud of dust from the Thundering Herd? Soon, the hoofbeats will be heard!

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/15792938.htm

In 1986, the Gophers football team lost to lowly Pacific 24-20 in front of 50,270 spectators in the Metrodome. Minnesota players, overwhelmed with emotion, cried in the locker room afterward.

Also that season, the Gophers upset Michigan, ranked No. 2 nationally, 20-17 in front of 104,864 at Ann Arbor. Minnesota players, overwhelmed with emotion, also cried in the locker room after that game.

Does this suggest that even if the Gophers lose to the lowly Bison this week, that they could still pull off an upset of 7-0 Ohio State the next week?

mebison
10-19-2006, 05:46 PM
They would probably happily take that trade!

Me too.

Bisonguy
10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
From the Pioneer Press in a column called "Don't Print That."

Doesn't exactly predict a Bison win, but I think it suggests that Minnesota fans (or at least the media)
are sensing an impending cloud of doom coming in from the west.

Are those storm clouds, or just a cloud of dust from the Thundering Herd? Soon, the hoofbeats will be heard!

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/15792938.htm

In 1986, the Gophers football team lost to lowly Pacific 24-20 in front of 50,270 spectators in the Metrodome. Minnesota players, overwhelmed with emotion, cried in the locker room afterward.

Also that season, the Gophers upset Michigan, ranked No. 2 nationally, 20-17 in front of 104,864 at Ann Arbor. Minnesota players, overwhelmed with emotion, also cried in the locker room after that game.

Does this suggest that even if the Gophers lose to the lowly Bison this week, that they could still pull off an upset of 7-0 Ohio State the next week?

Whether the Gophers win or lose vs. the Mighty Bison will have little bearing to their inevitable defeat at the hands of the buzzsaw known as The Ohio State University.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
As I see it

If we play well and the Gophers play well----they will probably win, as they should. As a native Minnesotan and ex-Bison, it is my experience that they still get the upper echelon of kids in Minnesota. If you ask the majority of our players if they would have attended Minnesota, if offered they would say yes. I believe they have superior physical talent............So What must we do to win??????????

1. Stop the run with our Front 7---if we need to cheat a safety up Cupito WILL burn us bad ----Payne and Decker and Spaeth can all play!

2. Perles must be unpredictable/flawless in his play calling----I dont think we can run Steffes 40 times and expect to win ....It will take a nice mix of play calling including some deception.....

3. No Turnovers---can't afford even 1

4. Even if we don't win---we will walk away with $300,000 and lots of exposure

Hambone
10-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, I had originally planned to go to the game when I first heard about it, but unfortunately work took me to the land down under and my flight doesn't get back until late Saturday evening :( Anyway, I'm hoping for the Bison to keep it close, and I think they can. While a win is not out of the question, my prediction is for the Gophers to win 28-17. I think the Bison D is good enough to keep it from getting out of hand, and the Bison should be able to move the ball a little bit, but I don't think it'll be enough.

Good luck to the Herd.

SDbison
10-20-2006, 12:14 AM
As I see it

If we play well and the Gophers play well----they will probably win, as they should. As a native Minnesotan and ex-Bison, it is my experience that they still get the upper echelon of kids in Minnesota. If you ask the majority of our players if they would have attended Minnesota, if offered they would say yes. *I believe they have superior physical talent............So * What must we do to win??????????

1. Stop the run with our Front 7---if we need to cheat a safety up Cupito WILL burn us bad ----Payne and Decker and Spaeth can all play!

2. Perles must be unpredictable/flawless in his play calling----I dont think we can run Steffes 40 times and expect to win ....It will take a nice mix of play calling including some deception.....

Wacker, I thought "once a Bison always a Bison"? Whats up with the ex-Bison comment?

broke_back_mnt
10-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Ill tell you one thing, Cupito is going to throw a whole lot more. The BISON will have to rotate to keep fresh in the D backfield. It almost seems like they throw over, over, and over again just to tire you out A way to defense this would be a grinding ground game. If we can make that work it would move things along to being over.

Cupito throws a whole lot more than Walker but their efficiency ratings are identical and Walker has a huge advantage because he doesn't throw the int. No divisional advantage here. Both big league QBs.

The BISON have a good pass rush If they can pressure Cupito and hit him and sack him a couple of times it will help to beat hell in neutralizing what is a growing awareness of a tremendous Gopher passing game.

I think the BISON have the speed to stay with them.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-20-2006, 12:41 AM
As I see it

If we play well and the Gophers play well----they will probably win, as they should. As a native Minnesotan and ex-Bison, it is my experience that they still get the upper echelon of kids in Minnesota. If you ask the majority of our players if they would have attended Minnesota, if offered they would say yes. *I believe they have superior physical talent............So * What must we do to win??????????

Wacker, I thought "once a Bison always a Bison"? *Whats up with the ex-Bison comment?

Last time I cut myself-----I still bleed Green and Gold!!!------Instead of Ex-Bison-----how about Old-Bison or Has-Been Bison............!!!!!!!???????? ;)

broke_back_mnt
10-20-2006, 12:48 AM
This is going to boil down to a few players.

For a BISON win we need everybody to pay equal, but a few guys have to step up and play at a higher level. Make the plays that will make the difference.

Who knows who they will be? They have to be somebody though.

bisoneer
10-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I cant sleep over this one, I say it will come down to turnover differential and field position. Mason is a choker and Bohl is a great coach who is always well prepared and make adjustments accordingly.

Bison 35 Gophs 30

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BISONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya on FSN

bisoneer
10-20-2006, 03:32 AM
NDSU needs to get ready to give Bohl another contract ext. We cant afford to lose him, he will win a national title here for sure.

Open up the wallet!

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-20-2006, 03:56 AM
NDSU needs to get ready to give Bohl another contract ext. We cant afford to lose him, he will win a national title here for sure.

Open up the wallet!
Could not agree more. The job he has done so far has been simply fantastic.

RodentiaX1
10-20-2006, 04:01 AM
You can have Mason after Minnesota hires Bohl. ;)

Shawn-O
10-20-2006, 04:02 AM
If NDSU pulls the shocker, Bohl will be on a LOT of people's radar screens, if he isn't already.

NDSUstudent
10-20-2006, 04:10 AM
My prediction from the GWFC blog....NDSU(6-0) vs Minnesota(2-5)- Bison nation is pumped for this game, Bison faithful from Abercrombie ND to Amsterdam Netherlands will be decsending onto the MetroDome to watch their beloved Bison battle those Golden Gophers. Bison fans have been waiting a long time for this game and as it approaches it's not only becoming more of a reality but the chance of a Bison victory may also becoming more of a reality. Yes, I said it the Bison have a chance in this one. They are 6-0 and playing with a lot of confidence while Minnesota is 2-5 and looking like a very fragile team. If NDSU is going to win they need to get off to a fast start and put the pressure on the Gophers. NDSU has nothing to lose in this one so I expect them to come out really loose and get off to that fast start. Then all those 5AM workouts during the offseason will begin to pay off as NDSU fends off the Gophers for the win. NDSU-27 Minnesota-24

MinotBison
10-20-2006, 04:11 AM
You can have Mason after Minnesota hires Bohl. *;)

Thanks, but no thanks.

SDbison
10-20-2006, 04:14 AM
OK, I am back to the basics here and going to give my final comments before starting my trek to Fargo tomorrow and then on to Minneapolis. The Bison are a TEAM (coaches, players and fans on the same page). The Gophers, even though talented individually, have problems with their players, coaches and fans. This Bison TEAM can beat a superior group of individuals. As a fan I am going to do all I can to let the TEAM know I am there to support them. I hope all of Bison Nation will do the same. Go Bison. Beat the Gophers. LETS MAKE SOME FRICKIN NOISE ON SATURDAY!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-20-2006, 04:15 AM

Open up the wallet!

Our wallet ain't fat enough to keep Bohl from going if he gets a top 40-50 team. Those schools have more paper...........

Shawn-O
10-20-2006, 04:52 AM

http://home.comcast.net/~shawnb99/GopherBohl.jpg

It's a good look for him.

MinotBison
10-20-2006, 04:53 AM

http://home.comcast.net/~shawnb99/GopherBohl.jpg

It's a good look for him. *

Hilarious!!!! Love it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NDSUstudent
10-20-2006, 05:12 AM
0% chance of rain in the MetroDome on Saturday but There is a 100% chance of THUNDER!!!!
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics17/400/NW/NWCAGSFHRCUWBFJ.20060902172514.jpg

Minnesota better watch out because we're comin, we're comin!!!

bincitysioux
10-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I'll be outta town this weekend, and just wanted to wish NDSU and all you fans travelling to the HHH good luck against the Goofers this weekend! I hope the team from North Dakota does the state proud this weekend! :)

RedRiver
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM

Best quote of the week. A win in the Metrodome would be icing on the cake for NDSU. The pregrame buildup, media coverage, fan interest and anticipated crowd have truly put NDSU football on the map. Godd luck Bison!!

TheBisonator
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I talked to Ryan Parsons at breakfast this morning. I haven't seen a person so cool and calm in a long time. He told me that the team feels no pressure on them whatsoever, and that the game tomorrow will be a lot of fun for them. He said (obviously) that the Gophers are in a lot harder spot than they are. I know he's the backup QB, and that he probably doesn't have as much game-related pressure on him that Walker has, but I'm sure that knowing personally the kind of guy Steve is, he's probably had Lake Superior ice water running through his veins all week. Either way, I've always known Ryan to be relatively more upbeat and emotional whenever we talk with each other, but his demeanor today seemed to be more like that of Peter Gibbons from Office Space after he got hypnotized to lose all his stress. He was just relaxing on his chair, reading the paper, and eating breakfast. (Almost looked like he was about to pull off a bank heist, or something. :D)

Anyway, I believe this team couldn't be better prepared psychologically for this game. I know some of you may think this is a bad thing (I personally think it's a good thing), but I believe they're thinking about simply going out there and having a lot of fun tomorrow. I will say that even though it was my intent when I came to NDSU 4 years ago, I could have never been able to play football for this team, because I believe to be a player on this team, you have to be very well-balanced mentally and emotionally. Hell, I start acting like an insane person when I'm 4 hours away from a design project deadline. That's why I instead became a student manager for three years. These guys obviously have a much better mindset going into this game than the Gophers, and I know that they do not believe for one second that the Gophers are a better football team than they are. There will be 56 cool customers wearing harvest gold helmets, white jerseys and forest green pants out on that Metrodome turf tomorrow, and with the game being 90 percent mental, I gotta say the Bison have that 90 percent won.

As Bender would say, "It's gonna be fun on a bun."

WYOBISONMAN
10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I'll be outta town this weekend, and just wanted to wish NDSU and all you fans travelling to the HHH good luck against the Goofers this weekend! *I hope the team from North Dakota does the state proud this weekend! * :)

Thanks Bin.......We'll be watching on TV out here in WYO...........

RedRiver
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I talked to Ryan Parsons at breakfast this morning. I haven't seen a person so cool and calm in a long time. He told me that the team feels no pressure on them whatsoever, and that the game tomorrow will be a lot of fun for them. "

Coach Bohl seemed very focused, but also cool and calm, on the Bison radio show this morning with Scott Miller.

DIBISON
10-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Best quote of the week. *A win in the Metrodome would be icing on the cake for NDSU. *The pregrame buildup, media coverage, fan interest and anticipated crowd have truly put NDSU football on the map. *Godd luck Bison!!

How true . . .

gwendel
10-20-2006, 05:58 PM
So much to keep up with this week, I don't know if this article has been posted or not, but I haven't seen it.

USA Today's Big 10 Conference Weekly Preview:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/home.htm

Among other things, fans who show up will find out the differences between a Division-1 offensive line and a Division 1-AA defensive front seven. Minnesota obviously has a reputation as a strong running team, but North Dakota State allows just 10.7 points and 41.5 rushing yards per game...

...But here's the reality of the game: Minnesota's effort should determine whether the Bison hang close for a little while or a long while. The former seemed more likely until the Gophers laid an egg last week at Wisconsin.

Writer's attitude seems confident of a Gopher win, but respectful of the Bison program.

Seems rational.